Subject: Re: Patchouli questions...
From: [email-masked] (Ngai)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 08:29:28 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.gardens

Debbie Detwiler ([email-masked] wrote:
> I got some from a local nursery here in Atlanta this year too.
> Actually, I got so many I didn't know where to put them all, so I
> made an experiment out of it.  The ones I had in full sun did the
> worst.  I had one in a pot on my back deck, which gets about 1/2 day
> sun, and it grew like crazy!  In fact, I decided to bring it in the
> house a short time ago.  I also had a plant under a big willow tree,
> and it did pretty well, too.  I guess from my 'experiment' that
> Patchouli plants only like part shade (not deep shade, though).
> Since this is my first year, I don't know if they come back after
> being frosted here in zone 7.  I love the smell of them and will
> brush my hand against them pretty much every time I walk past.

> One thing I want to mention, though, is that my plants didn't seem
> to have the GREENEST leaves.  They always seemed to have a yellowish
> tint to them, and I don't know if that's normal or if they thought I
> was abusing them somewhat.

I've been growing patchouli 3 years running and finally got my plants
to live. They're tender perennials, like part sun, higher nitrogen in
their feed. It isn't fatal, but don't let them dry out. The leaves
should be med to dark green and pretty good sized. Cold will kill them
immediately. Too much sun will burn them. My two plants are permanent
house plants. The don't seem to mind being potted, but these guys are
only about a year old. They grow really fast, so I usually have lots
of patchouli branches drying around the house. I haven't decided what
to do with them--maybe satchel(sp?) stuffing.  Oh, they're very
sensitive to insecticial soaps, so use a *very* weak soap solution if
needed.

I have no idea what the flower looks like. I didn't know they
flowered. 
--------------------------------------------------------------	
Ngai Kwan	        <<If you see a loose marble, it's mine.>>
  c/o [email-masked]
"To the best of my knowledge, I haven't got a clue."-Dan Savage