Subject: Re: Wormwood
From: Baird Stafford <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 12:30:08 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.pagan

[...]
Wormwood was the, er, "active ingredient" in the absinthe so beloved
of bohemians in Paris at the turn of the last century.  As with any
psycho-active substance, many references prefer to refer to it as a
poison rather than hint at its other properties.  It should, however,
be used with extreme caution; I believe it may be at least mildly
addictive and may also, with excessive or prolonged use, damage the
central nervous system and cause mental deterioration.

Wormwood is *not*, therefore, an instant and deadly poison such as
foxglove, queen anne's lace or any of the others against ingestion of
which one was warned in childhood - but neither can it be ingested
with impunity.  It may be used as "a simple aid in divination," but I
would do so only under controlled (read, "ritual") circumstances at
stated and widely separated intervals.

And I share your annoyance with herbals that define as "poisonous"
anything of whose side effects they don't approve.

Blessed be,
Baird
__
Baird Stafford   ([email-masked])