Subject: Re: aromatic herbs

From: [email-masked] (Conrad Richter)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 22:57:55 EST

[email-masked] (Gene Bilney            2194) writes:

> I need some recommendations also on what herbs smell nice when being
> burned. All the ones I have thought of still smell just like burning
> leaves. For incense purposes, would using aromatic oils be better?
> Thanks for any info.

There are many herbs, but one that pops to mind is sage, Salvia off. 
I rather like the smell.  Also, there are a variety of wormwoods and 
sagebrushes (both Artemisias) that are often used in rituals.  I have 
personally participated in Tibetan rituals that use an amazing, but, 
alas, unidentified, Artemisia from the "roof of the world". 

But then my "tastes" in regards to burning incense are heavily biased 
toward those that are not sickly sweet like some of the Indian varieties. 
Naturally, that is a matter of personal preference. 

Conrad Richter

RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                 [email-masked]
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests:  [email-masked]
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | What's New for '95:    [email-masked]