Subject: Re: comfrey toxicity

From: [email-masked] (Mark D. Gold)
Date: 21 Jan 95 15:19:59 -0500

>From: [email-masked] (Stuart Krasnoff)
>Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs
>Subject: comfrey toxicity
>Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 15:33:13 +0000
>Organization: Cornell University

Stuart,

It seems that you are mixing up known highly toxic plants with 
comfrey.  Out of the millions of users of comfrey worldwide, only a 
handful of cases have ever been reported linking problems to comfrey.  
Almost all of those occurred with exceptionally large doses of 
comfrey were taken for a long period of time.

Persons using comfrey internally should use it for a short period of 
time in reasonable doses.  It is contraindicated in pregnancy, 
nursing, prolonged use in children and liver disease.  Comfrey is 
available with PA's removed from the Herb Pharm.

Since when is comfrey "banned" in Germany?

Regards,
				- Mark
                            [email-masked]