Subject: Herbal treatments for cancer?

From: [email-masked] (Jason Medd)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 19:01:11 GMT

Greeting to everyone. I am conducting research on a so-called "treatment" 
for cancer based on an herbal tea. 

I came across a text located on an Interent ftp site a number of weeks 
ago which contains a number of texts about various alternative treatments 
for diseases that have failed to gain acceptance in the mainstream of 
medical treatments. One of these texts contained a text about an herbal 
tea called ESSIAC, an herbal tea composed of burdock root, sheep sorrel, 
turkey rhubarb root and slippery elm bark. 

My primary question is whether there has been any studies concerning this 
treatment. how valid are the claims, or is it just an urban legend???

If anyone can provide me with information regarding ESSIAC, I'd greatly 
appreciate it. Please respond to me via E-mail as I am posting this 
message over a number of groups and it would be easier if your responses 
came to me, instead of me having to look for them. Sorry if I am kiling 
any potential discussions.

Please respond only if you can provide me with serious references, 
reports from empirical studies that have been completed. although 
opinions are welcome, for the purposes of research they are of little 
assistance. anyone responding to ESSIAC as an urban legend, please 
provide me with the story and its possible source. THanks.

I look forward to reading your responses.

Regards,

Jason Medd

---

From: [email-masked] (terrytan)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 04:26:49 GMT

ConsulTec ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I would like some information on Herbal treatments for cancer too.  My
: father has cancer and I was told that there are herbal treatments that can
: help him relieve the pain,etc..  Please e-mail me with any info.

: Thanks,
: Randy Russell
: ConsulTec
For those of you interested in alternative treatment for cancer there
is a good reference book to start with.
    "Unconventional cancer treatments"  published by
    The Office of Technology Assessment- Congress of The United States
     Publication OTA-H-405 from the Government Printing Office.
 Dont just read and believe everything in there. Like everything
  else you must continue to search for answers like you did here on the
NET. As I have said before, use it as a starting point. Essiac is described
in quite detail in the book.
                        
 I did quite some research myself
when my father-in-law had cancer several years ago but the influence
of conventional or allopathic medicine is so powerfully dominating us that 
the conclusion is eventually we take the conventional route. There is 
insufficient medically proven data to convince most people to take the
alternative route unfortunately. Although I personally think that 
homeopathic and herbal medicine are probably our only hope for a cure for 
cancer.

Good luck in your search !

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Spotts)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 13:46:23 GMT

in response to the querie on ESSIAC;I've a tape of Susun Weed's lecture at
Herb Fest in Iowa, l994.  Her talk was on Wise Woman Healing, and she speaks
in depth about treatments for various ills...if you are interested in
ordering a copy of her cassett, they are $7.00 or so, available from
Frontier Herbs, located in Iowa.  Respond to mary at [email-masked].

"...like cold water to a weary soul
is good news from a distant land"  Pr25:25

---

From: [email-masked] (ConsulTec)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 04:45:59 -0400

I just bought this book today thought I should pass the name of it on the
net just in case anyone is interested:
"Alternatives in Cancer Therapy" by Ross Pelton, R.PH.,PH.D., and Lee
Overholser,PH.D.  

It's a very interesting book.  

Thanks,
Randy Russell

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Straus)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 21:41:22 GMT

With respect to Essiac, there are numerous homepage entries on the WWW for
Essiac.  The following are a few that the search engine turned up:

Essiac: A neglected cancer cure:
  http://werple.mira.net.au/sumeria/health/essiac.html

The truth about Essiac:
  http://werple.mira.net.au/sumeria/health/essiac3.html

The World Wide Web Virtual Library: Sumeria/Health
  http://werple.mira.net.au/sumeria/health.html

Howard D. Straus

---

From: [email-masked] (Howard Straus)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 21:41:22 GMT

The truth about Essiac:

Howard D. Straus