Subject: GLOBAL threat to mega-vitamins

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 15:32:53 GMT

U.N. CODEX ALIMENTARIUS COMMISSION THREATENS AVAILABILITY OF
HIGH-POTENCY VITAMINS AND CERTAIN NUTRITIONAL INGREDIENTS.

=============================================================

The U.N. Codex Commission will define certain nutritional
ingredients as "dangerous" and will set maximum dosage limits
for commonly consumed nutrients.  The next Codex meeting is
scheduled for Bonn, Germany in 1996.

These new standards will undermine the protections won under
the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994.

The standards will only be implemented if enacted by each of
the member nations' legislative bodies, but 16 out of the 18
nationalities represented have already agreed to adopt these
standards.  Furthermore, other countries will be pressured
to adopt these standards.

The United States plans to send dietary supplement bill
opponent Elizabeth Yetley, PhD, Acting Director for the
FDA Office of Special Nutritionals, and her assistant,
Robert Moore, PhD, to the 1996 Codex meeting.

Citizens For Health has asked attorney Jonathan Emord to
prepare written comments to the FDA, in order to protect
consumer access to dietary supplements.  Citizens For Health
also plans to send Jonathan Emord to the 1996 Codex meeting.

=============================================================

For additional information, or to help support the 
International Codex Project, contact Citizens For Health
directly at:

P.O. Box 2260            Phone (800) 357-2211
Boulder, CO  2260        FAX   (303) 417-9378

=============================================================