Subject: School of Herbal Medicine: Correspondence Course

From: [email-masked] (Sabine Jaensch )
Date: 31 Jul 1995 23:45:15 GMT

Folks, this isn't another Ad, so don't blast me for it. I got this in
the mail and just thought some of you would be interested. 

SCHOOL OF HERBAL MEDICINE

Correspondence Course in Herbal Studies

The last few years have seen a growing demand for some form of training
in the use of herbal remedies for the layperson. This is based on the
realization that there are a large number of ailments which, although
troubleso
me and painful, are essentially simple in nature and could benefit from
enlightened use of such simple and effective remedies as are found in
many of our common plants. This, coupled with the increased yearning
for a meas
ure of control over our bodies again, a profound preference for a
natural, cheap, gentle form of treatment rather than the often
impersonal and inappropriate medications normally dispensed or
available at the pharmacist, 
has prompted many people to look to herbal books and health magazines
for hints into the art of herbal treatment. This in turn is often
unsatisfactory; the reader is confused by the mass of incomplete and
often contradict
ory information found in these sources. Along the way the conviction
that in plants there is something very valuable for our health is often
lost. The other alternative, to study and train to become a
professional practit
ioner is obviously, for many people, out of the question.

It is in answer to this need that the School of Herbal Medicine of
Great Britain, the educational body for professional herbal
practitioners, is introducing a tailor-made correspondence course in
basic herbal remedies for
 all who are interested. The aim is to provide enough understanding of
the human body to recognize illness, assess its severity and, with an
in-depth study of a number of plants to be found in the US, to equip
the student
 with a n understanding of the treatment with herbs. An essential part
if the course will be devoted to recognizing what cannot be treated in
this way and what therefore must be referred to a trained professional
practiti
oner or MD In other words, there will be an equal understanding of the
healing plant s and the problems they are to treat; the central
relationship between both will be preserved throughout.

The National Institute of Medical Herbalists is the oldest organization
of professional herbal practitioners in the Western World. (founded
1864). In its early
years it already had an Education Department which ultimately
 resulted in the formation of the School of Herbal Medicine. The American Branch of
the school will run the correspondence course in the US This is a specially written
course divided into five subjects taken together:

1. The philosophy and practice of herbal medicine section will give the student some
idea of the philosophy behind herbalism and the approach of herbalism to disease.

2. A basic anatomy and physiology of the human body

3. A study of pathology, the main malfunctions of the human body, so that in
conjunction with the diagnosis section both minor and serious conditions can be
detected and understood. The principles will be based on orthodo
x medical science. This section also contains some suggestions as to generalized
treatment, nutrition  and dietetics.

4. A section giving a very basic understanding of diagnosis. In conjunction with the
study of pathology, this section will enable the student to recognize some well-known
conditions.

5. A detailed study of native remedies, including their cultivation and preparation.
Each month two plants will be considered in depth and several more in less detail.

The course is divided into four quarters of three months each. Although designed to
be completed in a year's time, the course is also designed to meet the needs of
individual students and can therefore be completed in mor
e or less time if necessary. A the start of the course the student will be sent the
first quarter consisting of Months 1,2, and 3. Every month's lessons will be largely
self-contained, each treating a different aspect of 
body function and discussing the plants most pertinent to that function.

At the end of each month's work the student will have to answer questions in three of
the five subjects and send the answers to the tutor. In general these questions will
be in the form of possible medical problems that m
ight actually be encountered. The tutor will mark and correct the papers, then return
them to the student while sending the marks to the administrator of the school. When
the questions of the third month have been sent to
 the tutor, the student can then send in his or her request form and check for the
second quarter.

At the completion of the twelve month's lessons, an optional final examination can be
taken and the successful student will receive a Certificate of Proficiency from the
School of herbal Medicine. IT IS TO BE EMPHASIZED T
HAT THIS CERTIFICATE DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A LICENSE TO PRACTICE HERBAL MEDICINE
PROFESSIONALLY,  and that in  any case the course will underline the severe disease
state not to be treated lightly.

Qualifications necessary for taking the course are modest; a basic intelligence, and
ability to study, and a desire to learn. The demands on time and finances need not be
excessive. The rewards of success, however, will i
ncluded the recognition of one's ability to adequately recognize the everyday
ailments of family and friend, to be able to give sound advice, and to understand in
some depth the wonderful medicinal properties of our nativ
e plants.

The cost of this course is $100 per quarter. This does not include the cost of the
textbook for anatomy and physiology, nor the cost of the stamped, addressed envelopes
sent with your monthly work to the tutor to enable h
im or her to return the work to you.

The student is eligible to apply for examination upon completion of the fourth
quarter. The exam is to be completed within seven days of its receipt and returned to
the tutor by registered mail. Examination costs are incl
uded in the course fees.

Seminars with Hein Zyelstra, Principal of the School of Herbal Medicine, and other
noted herbal practitioners will be held periodically. Attendance at these seminars is
optional and therefore nor required for certificatio
n of course completion. Students will be informed of seminar locations and costs as
they are determined.

An enrollment for follows. The completed form and a check $100 to cover tuition for
the first quarter should be returned to the address below. Upon receipt of your
completed enrollment form and check, the first quarter co
urse will be mailed to you directly via Special Fourth Class Book Rate mail. Please
allow 2-4 weeks for delivery. Direct any questions to the Registrar by mail or call
360-697-1287.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

THE SCHOOL OF HERBAL MEDICINE -- ONE-YEAR COURSE IN HERBAL STUDIES

				Enrollment Form

Name: (Please Print):_______________________________________________________

Address:_________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________

Telephone No:____________________________Date of Birth:_____________________

Occupation:________________________________Date:__________________________

I heard of this course through:________________________________________________

I wish to undertake the One-Year Correspondence Course which offers me the option to
take the examination leading to the Certificate in Herbal Studies from the School of
Herbal Medicine. Enclosed is the sum of $100 as the
 fee for the FIRST quarter of the one-year course (US dollars only)

Please return this completed form to :			The Registrar
						          	School of Herbal Medicine
						          	PO Box 168
						          	Suquamish, Washington 98392