Subject: Re: Yohimbe Removed from Sale in Atlanta

From: Erin Lynn Cochran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 16:44:47 -0800

The problem with yohimbe is that its principle active ingredient 
(yohimbine) is an potent MAO inhibitor. If you have an MAO inhibitor in 
your system and you eat/take alcohol, anphetamines (or their 
relatives{some diet pills, ritalin, etc.}), antihistamines, certain 
tranquilisers and narcotics, or large amounts of chocolate or dairy 
products then your blood pressure can rise or fall (depending on what you 
ate) to fatal levels. They don't tell you this on the packaging. Despite 
all this the indigenous peoples of west Africa have used it safely for 
thousands of years. They fast for AT LEAST 12 HOURS BEFORE AND AFTER USE. 
One should always have proper respect for potent medicine and for 
oneself: always read up on somthing you have not tried. If you can't find 
info don't partake. As for yohimbe's psychedelic effect it is rather 
minor not to mention expensive--there's not much potential for abuse.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Dyer)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 04:31:30 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Erin Lynn Cochran  <[email-masked]> wrote:
	>(yohimbine) is an potent MAO inhibitor.

Yohimbine is NOT an MAO inhibitor.  This is one of the most frequently
regurgitated pieces of nonsense on the net (next to "Valium is derived
from valerian".)  The drug is an alpha-2 adrenergic antagonist.  By blocking
presynaptic inhibitory neurons it actually acts as a stimulant.  It also
can raise blood pressure, from the same mechanisms.

One might expect to see additive or supraadditive effects from taking
other sympathomimetic drugs simultaneously, so your advice to avoid
such is still good.

-- 
Steve Dyer
[email-masked]