Subject: Yogi Tea Company N-R-G tea

From: [email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo)
Date: 1 Apr 1995 23:04:09 GMT

I would like to give my strong DIS-recommendation to herbs from the Yogi 
Tea company.  I'm fairly pissed right now because my husband went out and 
bought a box of their Ginsing N-R-G tea yesterday.  From the name, most 
people would conclude that this tea gives you energy (N_R_G = energy. 
get it?)  Many herbal tea companies, such as Celestial Seasonings, are 
careful only to put safe herbs in the teas they sell in regular stores.  
But not the Yogi Tea guys. 

This tea contains licorice root.  Licorice root is safe in low dosages, 
but at high levels can kill people.  Most herbalists I know will tell 
you that licorice root should be used only under supervision.  NOWHERE on the 
box is any indication that the tea should not be taken more than x times 
per day.  In fact, on the side of the box is a little panel saying that 
ayurveda doesn't promote the use of  stimulants so they don't use any, 
and that it works as a 'tonic' by strengthening 'underlying vitality'.  
In other words, a person who didn't know anything at all about herbs 
could conclude that you could drink this tea as strong as you wished and 
as often as you wished, and because it  doesn't contain any nasty 
stimulants, nothing bad would happen to you. Frankly, I'll take coffee 
any day over licorice root.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
           Camilla Cracchiolo, RN   [email-masked]

        Shrine of the Cybernetic Madonna BBS  213-766-1356
"The board that Hates Rush Limbaugh *and* Newt Gingrich With A Passion"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------