Subject: Re: Disabled lady needs help with blood pressure

From: [email-masked] (Scott Richardson)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 02:46:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Nansue <[email-masked]> wrote:
>My wife is 53 years old and had a series of strokes 7 years ago. There was
>no contributing history to these strokes. She was in excellent health
>before them- and continues in excellent health since. However, her blood
>pressure has become a problem...
>
>Being partially paralyzed, she cannot exercise heavily, though I have her
>using a stationary bike for 25 minutes each day, minimum of 4 times/week.
>For all of that, she is substantialy overweight, by approx. 40 lbs. She
>will gain weight on a diet of 800 calories; I give her 30mg Armor thyroid
>(ala Broda Barnes) b.i.d., mainly to help with her flagging energy.
>
>About three years ago, her blood pressure became elevated (150/110 with
>pulse rate at 95-100). I tried using an herbal formula for her which has
>been most effective for me:
>	
>                     4oz. Linden leaf                 4oz. Valerian root
>	2oz. Hawthorne leaf          2oz. Hawthorne berries
>	1oz. Garlic powder            2oz. Dandelion root(european)
>	4oz. Mistletoe                      1/8 oz. Cayenne powder     
>
>I put all herbs into a 3liter container and cover with vodka. This brews
>for 4 weeks. The liquid is poured off and used as follows:
>	    130 drops in 1/4 glass water, sipped t.i.d.
>
>As mentioned above, this works for me, but is not effective for her. She
>has been put on  Verelan 240mg, 1 cap in A.M. by her physician, but I
>continue to give her my herbal liquid as a matter of faith.
>
>In addition, she also takes Hawthorn/Motherwort capsules (Solaray), and a
>full array of vitamin/mineral supplements, including antioxidants, Co-Q,
>EPO and other essential oils.
>
>Aside from the Verelan, the only other Rx she takes is amitriptyline
>25mg., 1 h.s. (Elevil). Without this, she is prone to uncontrollable
>crying and definite depression of mood.
>
>I have used Bach Flower rems for her; and have also used some Pascoe and
>Nestmann remedies as selected  by  EAV techniques.
>
>Her pressure now is stable, averaging 134/84 with pulse rate at 85-90, but
>I would love to be able to get her off the Verelan.  The pulse rate is
>faster than I would like, and your suggestions for slowing this down would
> also be welcome. As long as we are at it, something herbal to replace the
>Elevil would be great.
>
>A thorny problem, this, but from the postings I have read, this group is
>certainly up to the challenge. Thanks in advance.
>Nate Berger as [email-masked]
>
>

Hi. I'm sorry to hear about your b.p. problems, I also struggle with high b.p.
There have been some studies on using very large doses of some types of
magnesium for high b.p. In fact a naturopath can administer these with a shot.
My experience is that magnesium aspartate - Foodscience or magnesium
glucinate - KAL are the best at not upsetting the stomach when taken orally.
I personally like mag. aspartate because it is cheaper than the glycinate.
I take between 4 and 8 grams of magnesium aspartate per day with milk, and
it seems to work for me.

You might also want to do a little reading on Vanadyl Sulfate, I hear it
helps some types of high b.p. problems. Also Liquid Mega L-Carnitine by
Twinlab is real good for strengthening the heart muscle. This, you'll definitly
want to try! It has done wonders for me.

Best Regards,
Scott Richardson