Subject: schizandra

From: [email-masked] (Kermi)
Date: 27 Dec 1994 01:57:09 -0500

Could some one share with me a few details on Schizandra Chinensis
berrieies or its extract,: I do not have its chinese name, which may be
part of the reason I cannot find any info.

Thanks, please email to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Mann)
Date: 27 Dec 1994 15:48:14 GMT

Kermi ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Could some one share with me a few details on Schizandra Chinensis
: berrieies or its extract,: I do not have its chinese name, which may be
: part of the reason I cannot find any info.

Are you thinking of Schinus chinensis (not sure of species name)?  There is
a "California pepper tree". the berries of which are red or pink.  I seem to
recall an article on the purported toxicity of these, but they are sold in
some specialty food shops as "pink pepper".

Jay D Mann  <[email-masked]>
Christchurch, New Zealand

---

From: [email-masked] (PlantMed)
Date: 27 Dec 1994 12:00:51 -0500

Schisandra chinensis (Wu Wei Zi, or five-flavored seed) is used in
traditional Chinese medicine for coughs, diarrhea, excessive sweating, and
insomnia.  It acts as an adaptogen, excites conditioned reflexes,
increases visual acuity, and returns liver enzymes to normal in infectious
hepatitis.

---

From: [email-masked] (Conrad Richter)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 94 15:49:40 EST

> some specialty food shops as "pink pepper".

Schisandra chinensis is definitely NOT a Schinus species.  The Chinese 
name for Schisandra herb is "wu wei zi"  ("zi" means berries).  It's a 
hardy vine from northeastern China, Manchuria and Japan.  Berries are 
astringent and demulcent and are used to treat nervous conditions, 
chronic cough, asthma, thirst, too frequent urination and diarrhea.  Said 
to have adaptogenic and immune-enhancing properties similar to ginseng. 

Conrad Richter

RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                 [email-masked]
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests:  [email-masked]
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | What's New for '95:    [email-masked]