Subject: Echinacea

From: [email-masked] (Max Borisoff)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 01:09:00 GMT

in message  [email-masked] (Stuart R. Hall) writes:

S:Hi,

S:   I have a basic question about Echinacea preparations.  I have read
S:articles stating that Echinacea taken orally does little to boost the
S:immune system; that Echinacea must be injected to confer any benefit.  The
S:article was written in Europe, where it is my understanding that many
S:physicians prescribe Echinacea injections for their patients.
S:   I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with relevant information!  Thanks!

   The problem which you described is due to the problems involved in
   conserving the factors involved. Wagner and Proksch in 1981 described
   the high molecular weight polysaccharide in Echinacea, referred to as
   ECHINACIN  (50,000), that was found to increase T-cell lymphocyte
   transformation and stimulate interferon production, validating its
   historical use for infection and immune stimulation.

  While traditional drying of herb conserves some of the polysaccharide,
  it adversely affects the equally important volatile oil. Alcohol
  extraction preserves oil but precipitates out the polysaccharide.

    The solution developed at National College of Naturapathic Medicine
   in Portland , Oregon, is FREEZE-DRYING of the fresh product which
   preserves both polysaccharides and oils, keeping them together in the
   most natural form.

     The comparison Chromotographs of freeze-dried herb to traditional
   method show a dramatic difference.

      Ecclectic Institute Inc.
      14385 SE Lusted Road,
      Sandy, Oregon 97055

     Offer a wide range of freeze-dried herbs, and I was amazed at  the
   diff. I got my catalogue by calling 1-800-332-4372. I hope that this
   will help.

    Right away which ECHINEA are you writing about - Augustifolia?
    Palida? Purporea?
                                    [email-masked]

---
 * QMPro 1.52 * + CHRIST'S CORNER + (213)938-6579 Where Jesus is God!