Subject: The Truth About Enzymes And You.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 1994 16:09:26 -0500

Hi:
  I came across some interesting information about food enzymes
and diet. If you eat processed food, fast food, or drink tap water or
alchol you should read this information. I learned a great deal about
enzymes and good health. If anyone would like a copy, e-mail your
name and "postal address". (I hate typing.)

---

From: [email-masked] (Jet Silverman)
Date: 26 Dec 1994 16:42:01 -0800

If you are selling something, please be up front about it!

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Scott)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 23:34:36 GMT

>name and "postal address". (I hate typing.)

I'll bet you also hate being flamed for blatant selling on the Internet.

I have my Ph.D. in Enzymology, and almost 50 years experience at varied jobs.  
I can assure you that very very few people need to take enzyme supplements, 
and, for those, standard pancreatin is enough.   If you are offering enzyme 
supplements, why not be honest enough to say that, instead of the bull about 
typing.
- - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 [email-masked] (Don Scott, P.O. Box 611, Elk Grove IL 60009-0611)
     "Maybe you have big problems, but remember, if you don't
      have big problems, the little ones look like big ones."
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

---

From: [email-masked] (Min Lee)
Date: 30 Dec 1994 22:23:49 +0900

Don Scott ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

: >Hi:
: >  I came across some interesting information about food enzymes
: >and diet. If you eat processed food, fast food, or drink tap water or
: >alchol you should read this information. I learned a great deal about
: >enzymes and good health. If anyone would like a copy, e-mail your
: >name and "postal address". (I hate typing.)

: I'll bet you also hate being flamed for blatant selling on the Internet.

: I have my Ph.D. in Enzymology, and almost 50 years experience at varied jobs.  
: I can assure you that very very few people need to take enzyme supplements, 
: and, for those, standard pancreatin is enough.   If you are offering enzyme 
: supplements, why not be honest enough to say that, instead of the bull about 
: typing.
: - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
:  [email-masked] (Don Scott, P.O. Box 611, Elk Grove IL 60009-0611)
:      "Maybe you have big problems, but remember, if you don't
:       have big problems, the little ones look like big ones."
: = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

---

From: [email-masked] (George Law)
Date: 1 Jan 1995 16:21:57 GMT

Min Lee ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Don Scott ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

: : >Hi:
: : >  I came across some interesting information about food enzymes
: : >and diet. If you eat processed food, fast food, or drink tap water or
: : >alchol you should read this information. I learned a great deal about
: : >enzymes and good health. If anyone would like a copy, e-mail your
: : >name and "postal address". (I hate typing.)

: : I'll bet you also hate being flamed for blatant selling on the Internet.

: : I have my Ph.D. in Enzymology, and almost 50 years experience at varied jobs.  
: : I can assure you that very very few people need to take enzyme supplements, 
: : and, for those, standard pancreatin is enough.   If you are offering enzyme 
: : supplements, why not be honest enough to say that, instead of the bull about 
: : typing.

There are many health product marketers out there pushing great selection
of products. Many may work, but usually effects were exaggerated. They tell
about how this herbal formula help lose 100kg. of weight, that wheatgrass
powder cure cancer...etc.

Many of these marketers cared about $ more than truths, many aren't
educated in nutrition and herbs. Especially those in multi-level marketing,
the products are over-priced, inferior potency and exaggerated claims.

I am for natural medicine but none of those BS. Of course, enzymes are importantbut not as important so much that anyone eats fast-foods should take 
supplement of it. They should also know some of the fast-foods are quite
healthy, nutritionally speaking. Some fast-foods may contain more enzymes
than supplements !

George Law

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Calvert)
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 1995 12:33:53 EST

George Law ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I am for natural medicine but none of those BS. Of course, enzymes are importantbut not as important so much that anyone eats fast-foods should take 
: supplement of it. They should also know some of the fast-foods are quite
: healthy, nutritionally speaking. Some fast-foods may contain more enzymes
: than supplements !

With all due respect, this statement is ridiculous and incorrect.  Enzymes
are destroyed by cooking.  I do not know of any fast foods that contain large
numbers of enzymes.  Even the fast food "salads" are not particularly high
in enzymes because they have been sitting around oxidizing for long periods
of time before you get them.  If you want enzymes, eat fresh raw foods or
take good quality supplements if you have digestive problems.  I burned
out my digestive system through many years of eating fast foods, and am now
slowly rebuilding it through a good diet and good supplements.  The results
have been positive, so far.  By the way, my digestive problems were
professionally diagnosed; I have not "guessed" at my symptoms.  

-- 
Bob Calvert                          
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

---

From: [email-masked] (George Law)
Date: 3 Jan 1995 15:28:33 GMT

Bob Calvert ([email-masked]) wrote:
: George Law ([email-masked]) wrote:

: : I am for natural medicine but none of those BS. Of course, enzymes are importantbut not as important so much that anyone eats fast-foods should take 
: : supplement of it. They should also know some of the fast-foods are quite
: : healthy, nutritionally speaking. Some fast-foods may contain more enzymes
: : than supplements !

: With all due respect, this statement is ridiculous and incorrect.  Enzymes
: are destroyed by cooking.  I do not know of any fast foods that contain large
: numbers of enzymes.  Even the fast food "salads" are not particularly high
: in enzymes because they have been sitting around oxidizing for long periods
: of time before you get them.  If you want enzymes, eat fresh raw foods or
: take good quality supplements if you have digestive problems.  I burned
: out my digestive system through many years of eating fast foods, and am now
: slowly rebuilding it through a good diet and good supplements.  The results
: have been positive, so far.  By the way, my digestive problems were
: professionally diagnosed; I have not "guessed" at my symptoms.  

Before, I didn't like to eat fastfoods and was very concern about everything
ingested. The so-called healthly diet was limited to certain foods. I didn't
feel well and easily ill. Now, thanks to eating all kinds of foods including
Big Mac and soft drinks, I am feeling much alive and well.

Not that all meals consist of fastfoods are good. But I realized not all
fastfoods are unhealthy, in fact, some are more nutritious than some health
food diets. A Big Mac has much in it: proteins, fatty acids, minerals, vitamins,
carbohydrate and digestion aid. It is quite a rich source for nutrients
needed by our bodies. Soft drink is not wholesome, but it supplies instant
energy for my brain and other body parts.

You said salads in fastfood resturants sit around for long time, but this
also happen in health food restarants. Actually, health food resturants
may be quite unhealthy in their way of food preparations since they are
mostly privately operated. Most fastfood chains are run by professional
managements with high standards.

BTW: I'm not just a health fad follower. I have education in nutritional
medicine, and helped many sick people included vegans, health nuts, body-
buliders, sportsmen, seriously ill patients..etc.

George Law

---

From: [email-masked] (John Galleher)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 14:02:43 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
Murray Trainer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>: Joe Kraska  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>: >"Orally ingested pancreatic enzymes are wholly absorbed
>: > and will be extreted through the urine -- clear evidence
>: > of absorbtion" -- Dr. Nicholas Gonzales.
>
>OK. Here's a reference. Here are the more important points from Appendix
>4 of the book Body Electronics  Fundamentals by Douglas Morrison 
>which is a condensed summary and conclusions on the value of raw foods
>and food enzymes from the book Food Enzymes for Health and Longevity
>by Dr Edward Howell.  I may be a bit hard to get hold of as it was
>written in 1946 but he had another book called Enzyme Nutrition 
>which was published in 1985 by Avery Publishing Group.

First some basic biology
Enzymes are speicalized protiens that act as catalyst.
Catalysts allow chemical reactions to take place at a lower
temperature and energy level that would normally be required.
Each enzyme has a specific job (ie lactase  breaks down lactose
the stomach produces pepsin & lipase for digestion that occurs
in the stomach (protien).  Enzymes ussually work in a narrow
temperature & pH range (that is why a 10 degree swing either
way in the human body will kill you - the enzymes required for
cellular respiration stop working).  The stomach needs to produce
HCL (hydrochloric acid) in order to lower the pH of the stomach enough
for the enzyme to work.

Since enzymes are protiens, most of the enzymes you ingest orally are
broken down in the stomach.  They are treated as any other protien
and broken down into animo acids.  You cannot absorb whole protiens
(only newborns can, and that is only for a several months).  If
you could aborb protiens whole your immune system would react
to the presence of foriegn protiens in your system.

>
>1.  Enzymes are normal constituents of all cellular matter

YES

>3.  All wild animals live exclusively on on raw food including a full
>quota of enzymes.  So did an early type of man.

>4.  Modern cookery destroys more enzymes than in primitive times

Cooking also destroys most of the germs, parasites and other
nasty critters that live in your food

>7.  Extensive absorbability of enzymes is proved by the following 
>evidence:
>b)  Orally administered enzymes are recovered in the urine

If the enzymes are coated to protect them from digestion in the stomach
I will believe they can go though your digestive system but
enzymes in the food you eat are not coated.  

>c)  Large quantities of enzymes are secreted into the gastrointestinal
>tract but only a small amount is recovered in the feces

Yes they are destroyed in the digestive process

>d)  Loss of the pancreatic enzymes by experimental or human pancreatic
>fistula is rapidly fatal
Yes because you cannot properly digest food with enzymes -
the specific enzymes that work at your bodies temperature and
the pH level of the environment

>e)  Oral administration of enzyme extracts to human patients results in
>improvement in systemic disease

Most of the orally given enzymes are coated to protect them from
being destroyed in the stomach

>8.  Enzymes in raw food take  priority in digestion over secreted
>enzymes.

BullSh*t - First all enzymes do not do the same thing in fact they are very
specialized. There is no 'priority'
>Food enzymes become active the moment the cell wall is
>ruptured by mastification and before secreted enzymes have made an
>appearance

If the enzymes work with the temperature and pH level of the mouth
they certainly stop working when they are digested by the stomach.

>9.  Metabolism and digestion exact a toll resulting in a depreciation
>of the enzyme potential and the excretion of "spent" enzymes in the
>urine feces and sweat

Enzyme potential??? the body constructs them as needed except in
the case of disease or congenital defect.

>11. If some digestion is performed by food enzymes the stimulus to
>secretion of enzymes is less intense.  Consequently there is less
>drain on the enzyme potential

see above

>13. Experimental evidence indicates that food enzymes do a measurable 
>amount of digestive work in the test tube and in the organs of living
>animals

Humans???  Animals that are built to digest protiens???
I will believe it in herbivores because they have other organisms
digest their food (grass) and produce the protiens they need.
Their digestive system is not designed to break down protiens

>15. The pancreas of herbivorous animals is relatively only about half as
>large as that of American adults and their salivary glands do not
>secrete enzymes while human salivary glands are highly active.  The fact
>that herbiverous animals eating enzyme-containing raw food can digest 
>much carbohydrate while man, on a heat treated enzyme deficient diet
>, requiring a large pancreas and active saliva, offers convincing 
>testimony on the utility of food enzymes

You have a complete lack of understanding of how cud chewing animals
digest their food.
Here is an explaination courtesy of [email-masked] (Dave Coder)
posted in Sci.med.nutrition 16 Aug 1994
Rumin one of the stomachs 
>>clip
It's quite simple. Cows (along with sheep and other ruminants) get the
majority  of their protein from non-plant sources: They get it from the  
protozoan/microbial flora that is in their rumens. The cow eats grass, the  
rumen flora (e.g., bacteria such as _Ruminococcus_ and _Bacteroides_ break
down   the cellulose in the grass and ferment the resultant glucose.
The rumen flora   increases and the excess microbial flora washes out of the
rumen down the cow's  gut to be digested. Hence, grass into microbe protein
into cow protein.

>>clip

>30. There is a striking contrast between cooking tribes, such as the 
>primitve American Indian, requiring a comprehensive materia medica 
>and the raw diet consuming Eskimo with no medicines or apparent need
>for them

Most medicines know to American Indians (and most other old cultures)
were HERBAL -- They came from PLANTS!.  There are not a wide variety
of plants up where the eskimos were living!!!!  If they got sick they
died because there was nothing to make medicines from.

>33. The high health standards of the primitive isolated Eskimo
>contrasted with the soaring morbidity of the modernized Eskimo offers
>an unparalled example of the utility of enzymes in the food supply.
>The diet of the primitive Eskimo contains large amounts of whole fish
>including all of the enzymes of gastric juice, and intestinal juice;
>liver and stomach contents of animals including gasric juice and its
>enzymes; and great amounts of raw meat.
Primative isolated eskimo's survival was darwinain.  If they
were not healthy they died without any medical assistance
Look at other factors such as alcohol (and other problems parallel
to Native American Indians - most of them are cultural and socioeconomic)

>
>37.  Successful enzyme therapy of a number of ailments has been 
>reported.  Orally administered, enzymes perform efficiently in the
>digestive tract and display considerable digestive activity even in the
>presence of a normal concentration of secreted enzymes.

Only if they are protected from digestion in the stomach
>
>
>Seems like quite a convincing argument to me.

Not to ME

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
John Galleher  | 90% of the errors blamed on computers are caused by 
[email-masked]    | people who haven't mastered the paper and pencil yet
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Get Back To Nature -- Support Natural Selection
Disclaimer - Any society that needs disclaimers has too damn many lawyers
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---

From: [email-masked] (Javilk)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 09:32:51 GMT

Numerous interesting statements were made by numerous interesting 
parties.  I have only anecdotal evidence that enzyme supplimentation can 
help SOME people.

   I am taking an enzyme product, (Ultrazyme,) because of apparently
impared generation of enzymes by my system. Prior to this, I was severely
malnourished on a huge diet, now I am almost normal. For me, enzyme
supplimentation made the difference between a 142 lb bag of bones, and a
180lb healthy, functional human eating a Much Smaller (AND CHEAPER) diet! 
That does not mean that enzymes will help annyone else.  Only your doctor
can tell you whether you are in need of them.  (Oh, I suppose you CAN
experiment, but you have to Take NOTES, maintain a food diary, etc. to do
it right.) I tried most of the other enzyme suppliments, acid suppliments,
etc. and found this one best for ME.  Others prefer OTHER suppliments,
because we have different problems. 

   As to the gentleman with ulcerative colitis, this has been shown to be 
a gut ecology problem.  JAMA had a piece on that some years ago, wherein 
a doctor had such a problem, and was slated to go under the knife 
himself.  Knowing what he was facing, he tried a procedure wherein his 
gut was sterilized as for surgery, and then recieved a fecal implant from 
a healthy volunteer.  While he would not dare suggest this to anyone 
else, I guess when it is your own gut, you tend to be willing to try more 
things before trusting the "authorities".  Particularly if you are one!

  The Inuit, as I recall, eat a diet very heavy in omega fatty acids, 
whch keep their cholesterol down.  Bears also eat similar food, (seals 
and fish,) and it has been found that their cholesterol is rather low, 
but rises when they fast due to the lack of these fatty acids.  They live 
a rather extreme life, and are prone to death by starvation.  Cannibalism 
in hard times is not unknown.  Our western ways have brought them some 
degree of longevity, but not without serious problems.

   I have heard other stories about plant enzymes helping cancer patients. 
The Gerson institute in San Diego has or had such a program at one time. 
This lenghtened the survival of a friend of mine who had cancer. 
    (Unfortunately, another "innocuous medical procedure" comitted by an
ordinary physicial accidently killed her by causing her to go into shock. 
Had any of us had our heads screwed on right, we would have recognized
that it would Very Likely cause a reaction very similar to the sudden
death syndromes Dr. Kale...? saw in the outback of Australia when
Aboriginal children with improper diet were vaccinated.  She had gone on
another restricted diet to try another odd treatment just before the
procedure, and no one put two and two together.  When you are trying odd
things, conventional doctors Don't Think, they just condemn without trying
to analyze what is going on. )

-JVV-   (John Vilkaitis, [email-masked])
CAUTION: I'm no doctor, I only tell computers what to do.
For long lasting relief, consult a doctor  who practices
orthomolecular medicine.   Ask, and I'll recommend mine.
For referal and bibliography, send e-mail to [email-masked],
subject being REQ, the message being a single line:
    RFCsend  your-email-address
(Do substitute your email address in the line above...)
My opinions are subject to the availability of information.
I learn new things each day, and so may change my opinions.

--