Subject: Seeking Information on Charcoal Capsules

From: Michael Fameli <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jan 1995 21:58:16 GMT

I have a friend that checked into a hospital with severe abdominal
pains, .... After three days in the hospital and several tests, he
was diagnosed with Salmonella poisoning.

He's been release from the hospital and is taking antibiotics, 
Ampacillin and Bactril.  They say he may need to take them for 6-8
weeks!

Is anyone aware of the effectivness of charcoal capsules in cleansing
the body of this type of bacteria?  And ... Will it conflict with
the antibiotics?

Thank You.

Michael

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Sullivan)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 15:40:31 GMT

>In article <[email-masked]>, Michael Fameli
><[email-masked]> wrote:

>         These posts probably belong on misc.health.alternative but while
>we're here. Charcoal caps or just charcoal from what I understand will
>absorb alot of things including antibiotics.

I'm just rereading that Dr. Jarvis book on Folk Medicine that covers honey 
and vineger (brought up in this newsgroup in another thread) and he claims 
wonderful results in both preventing and curing food poisoning by drinking 
cider vinegar.  Of course he also claims it's good for everything from 
infertility to chronic fatigue ... but for whatever it's worth,  for 
active food poisoning he says to sip 1 teaspoonful of cider vinegar every 5 
minutes until you've drunk one cupful (about 4 hours worth); then increasing 
the dosage to 2 teaspoonfuls every 5 minutes til one cups drunk (2 more hours 
worth); then another small cupful with sips taken every 15 minutes.  Yow.  I'm 
thinking this seems kinda harsh - take it with a grain of salt (the advise, 
not the vinegar!)

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale Woika)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 04:40:17 GMT

>Michael

Activated charcoal will interfere with the effectiveness of some forms of 
antibiotic delivery matrices.  Also, charcoal will not significantly affect 
bacteria in vitro, either way.  Mainly, taking charcoal will help to de-
activate or ADSORB particular toxins from (principly) your stomach.  I'd 
avoid the carbon for the time being. 

Bacteria love to grow on charcoal water filters, but your intestinal flora 
have sufficient room to ignore the charcoal you swallow.  It may be 
important for your friend to restore the "good" bacteria in his guts after 
the long antibiotic regimen, so remind him to chow down on some yogurt 
after he is done with the treatment.

ciao

Dale

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale Woika)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 04:40:17 GMT

ciao

Dale