Subject: Pau D'Arco

From: [email-masked] (Cathy)
Date: 14 Jan 1995 01:59:16 GMT

Does anyone have any information on this herb?  All I have been able to 
learn is that it is an antibiotic and can be drunk in tea form.  Thanks 
so mcuh--
		Cathy.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
[email-masked]	|	Mount Holyoke College- where the
[email-masked]	|	women are women, and the men are 
				|	guests.		=-]
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

---

From: [email-masked] (David Powner)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1995 09:29:06 +0000

> learn is that it is an antibiotic and can be drunk in tea form.  Thanks 

It's the bark of a tree from Brazil, the extracts are primarily use to
treat a variety of fungal infections, although it is considered to have
anti-tumour properties, to lower BP and to be good for the digestion.

Can be taken aa a tea, an extract or in capsules. Used as a tea - 1 cup
up to 3 times daily (1 tsp of dried powdered bark to one cup of infusion)
-- 
David Powner                   Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Jan 1995 14:48:57 GMT

>   [email-masked] (Cathy) writes:

Pau D'Arco is a name given to several of the 100 species of a Central and
South American tree of the genus Tabebuia. The bark and wood are used in
the preparation which contains a naphthoquinone derivative called lapachol.
Laphachol does possess anticancer properties according to The Honest Herbal
by Varro E. Tyler, but had some undesirable side effects.

For further information I suggest you obtain a copy of the book. I hope this
little bit of information gave you a general idea.

..Jose
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Jose Garcia                         |   The Bee Balm Quarterly
  Logan Street Publishing             |   Medicinal and Culinary Herbs
  email - [email-masked]      |   PO Box 470
  voice - (717)737-5722               |   New Cumberland, PA 17070-0470
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 08:38:49 GMT

>learn is that it is an antibiotic and can be drunk in tea form.  Thanks 
It works great. I like to put about 3 eyedropper-fuls in a glass of knudsens
cherry cider (same with echinacea) 2-3 times a day 
when feeling like i am coming down with
something (or have). you should use it for 3 days, then wait a day before 
continueing _this is a good idea for any treatment, by the way.
 I use it
for everyone in my family, kids (8 and up) and everyone thinks it helps.
-Maura