Subject: Re: what do we know about pot?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 94 08:10:54 EST

IP>Take a look at some people who've been smoking pot for
IP>10 or 15 years, and i'll bet you'll see people who have
IP>fallen far short of their potential in life. It's not
IP>immediately obvious, but short term memory is very im-
IP>portant for just about any activity worth doing, as well
IP>as for handling the logistics of life eg car maintenance,
IP>checkbook and all that.  Try breath control instead.

Well...lets see, the group I hang with is mainly physicians,
professional educators and college graduates.  Hmmmm lots of potential
seems to have been reached so far in the lives of these talanted &
gifted people.  Like anything in life...moderation is the key.  Once you
let any substance, alcohol, drugs, food, etc..., take control of your
life, you run the risk of demise.  Intake of ANY smoked substance will
cause organic damage, the research is endless to mute that point.
However the data compiled regarding psychoactives is inconclusive, the
relative weight of risk factors must be measured against the
psychological benefit, i.e. stress reduction vs stress mortality, drug
effects vs drug bioinfluences.  TCH & CBG's (the psychoactives in pot)
have been heavily studied for many years and no organic or psychological
degenerative bio-interactions have been substantiated.  Many final
opinions have been offered, both pro & con, but our ultra-conservative
government has taken the platform of negative sensationalism and
continues to regulate consensual activities of "free society" adults.  I
do not condone drunk driving or driving while stoned!  This steps out of
the boundries of safe, consensual activities.  But if an adult in our
"free society" wishes to light up a little pot at home or a party, leave
them alone, you can choose not to participate.  I would no more let my
friends drive drunk as I would if they were high, common sense applies
to any less than favorable social situation.  Consider the tremdous cost
of alcohol & tobacco abuse in our country, the toll of violent crimes;
real crimes...not consensual crimes.  Then make an informed decision
regarding lost potentials...

---

From: [email-masked] (Hilda Marshall)
Date: 29 Dec 1994 14:44:27 GMT

[email-masked] writes:

>... I
>them alone, you can choose not to participate.

I agree - but would add that it would be nice to have the stuff
legalized, so those who choose to partake can do it on the porch
or in the yard if there are allergic or asthmatic folks around!

Love, Hilda

---

From: [email-masked] (Skye Byrd)
Date: 1 Jan 1995 19:57:23 -0500

OK I am going to jump in. I have smoked pot for going on 15 years (off and
on _ and when I was younger much more on than off). I consider myself a
successful, intelligent human being. I really don't think that pot casues
anymore damage to society than alcohol or tobacco, and as has been pointed
out, most pot smokers are rarely involved in violent incidents.
I don't smoke and drive nor drink and drive. I value my life and others.
It would be nice if pot were decrimnalized or even legalized, but
obviously that type of "less government" isn't what Newt and his cronies
are talking about.

All things in moderation - I think it's going to extremes in anything that
causes the troubles in life.