Subject: Homeopathic Remedy for alleriges

From: Rick Torres <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Jan 1995 02:13:29 GMT

I'm looking for more information about a treatment regime called
Enzyme Potentiated Desensitization.  My wife has the opportunity to
receive these injections for her environmental sensitivities, brought
on by toxic exposure to fumes from a fire.  She also has battled with
food allergies, candidiasis and a lowered immune system, and the 
homeopathic doctor thought she'd be a good candidate for the 
treatments.  She'll get an injection under the skin of the forearm,
and that will last her two months.  After another two months, she'll
receive another injection.  By this time, she should be experiencing
substantial relief from her symptoms, and can be subjected to allergic
substances without getting a reaction.  After 4 to 6 injections, the
frequency of injections decreases to once every 3 to 4 months, or 
longer.  

We received a booklet describing the program, but we're
particularly interested in hearing about the experiences and 
opinions of others.

Our booklet contains this description:

	Enzyme Potentiated Desensititization (EPD) is a technique
of immunotherapy using small doses of allergens to desensitize
patients to their allergies.  The doses used are the same or 
smaller than those employed in diagnostic skin prick testing.
The enzyme, beta glucuronidase, is used to increase and alter the
effect of the antigen extracts....Beta glucuronidase is an enzyme
present in all parts of the human body.  For EPD, the dose of enzyme
used is within the range present in the tissues of the human body.
No part of EPD is derived from humans, thus there is no risk of
hepatitis or HIV infrection....
    EPD contains a wide variety of inhalants, foods and chemicals.
The allergen mix is capable of dealing with most common food and
inhalant allergies...Each dose of EPD stimulates the immune system
to produce a new family of "T-suppressor" cells.  After 3 to 4 weeks,
when they area all mature, these cells will travel around the body
actively switching off or destroying certain mis-coded T-Helper cells--
those cells which cause (by various methods) other body cells to
produce histamine.  Histamine is major culprit causing allergic or
adverse response to various allergens or other agents.  EPD is a totally
natural method of restoring the self-regulation of the immune system...

Sounds convincing, and, by now, we're ready to try almost anything!

We would be very interested in any information you may have on EPD.

Thanks!

Rick Torres      [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Hilda Marshall)
Date: 4 Jan 1995 15:26:32 GMT

[email-masked] (Robert J. Pease) writes:

>Don't try Phoneopathy!!
>The principles involved are admittedly ANTI_SCIENTIFIC.
>try PRAYER, or Voodoo
>at least they are honest.
>Homeoquactic solutions are 100% pure water.

Phoneopathy!  Homeoquactic!  Fantastic neologisms.  Thanks!

I have no problem with the placebo effect, and practice magic
regularly.  But I know that they work precisely BECAUSE I take
them for what they are, without layering pseudoscientific jargon
and paralogic all over them.

Love, Hilda

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert J. Pease)
Date: 4 Jan 1995 07:40:37 GMT

Rick Torres ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I'm looking for more information about a treatment regime called
: Enzyme Potentiated Desensitization.  My wife has the opportunity to
: receive these injections for her environmental sensitivities, brought
: on by toxic exposure to fumes from a fire.  She also has battled with
: food allergies, candidiasis and a lowered immune system, and the 
: homeopathic doctor thought she'd be a good candidate for the 
: treatments.  She'll get an injection under the skin of the forearm,
: and that will last her two months.  After another two months, she'll
: receive another injection.  By this time, she should be experiencing
: substantial relief from her symptoms, and can be subjected to allergic
: patients to their allergies.  The doses used are the same or 
: smaller than those employed in diagnostic skin prick testing.
: The enzyme, beta glucuronidase, is used to increase and alter the
: effect of the antigen extracts....Beta glucuronidase is an enzyme
: present in all parts of the human body.  For EPD, the dose of enzyme
: used is within the range present in the tissues of the human body.
: No part of EPD is derived from humans, thus there is no risk of
: hepatitis or HIV infrection....
:     EPD contains a wide variety of inhalants, foods and chemicals.
: The allergen mix is capable of dealing with most common food and
: inhalant allergies...Each dose of EPD stimulates the immune system
: to produce a new family of "T-suppressor" cells.  After 3 to 4 weeks,
: when they area all mature, these cells will travel around the body
: actively switching off or destroying certain mis-coded T-Helper cells--
: those cells which cause (by various methods) other body cells to
: produce histamine.  Histamine is major culprit causing allergic or
: adverse response to various allergens or other agents.  EPD is a totally
: natural method of restoring the self-regulation of the immune system...

: Sounds convincing, and, by now, we're ready to try almost anything!

: We would be very interested in any information you may have on EPD.

: Thanks!

: Rick Torres      [email-masked]
..
..
Don't try Phoneopathy!!
The principles involved are admittedly ANTI_SCIENTIFIC.
try PRAYER, or Voodoo
at least they are honest.
Homeoquactic solutions are 100% pure water.

---

From: Scott Mattes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 13:00:09 GMT

> Don't try Phoneopathy!!

He wasn't talking about getting healed over the phone. You probably meant 
'phonyopathy'.

> The principles involved are admittedly ANTI_SCIENTIFIC.

Admitted by whom? Are you a practioner? Shame on you for being phony.

> at least they are honest.

While I can vouch for prayer being honest in concept, most who practice it are 
phony in their execution.

> Homeoquactic solutions are 100% pure water.

Acually, most Homeopathic remedies that I have seen are powder (though some I 
have seen recently use alcohol for a base, but I think those are the 
non-traditional varity).

Honestly, have you ever SERIOUSLY studied homeopathy AND tried some of the 
medicines? We have had great success with some of the easier to diagnose 
remedies.