Subject: Re: comfrey

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 1994 16:31:27 GMT

Mann says that "in Germany the demand for comfrey is just about nil."
But both Theiss in The Family Herbal and Maria Treben in Health From
God's Garden -- German/Austrian herbalists, respectively -- sing the
praises of comfrey. Theiss advises against internal usage, but Treben
doesn't. Both books are 5-10 years old. Perhaps the situation in
Germany has changed?
Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Mann)
Date: 27 Dec 1994 15:45:11 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
: Mann says that "in Germany the demand for comfrey is just about nil."
: But both Theiss in The Family Herbal and Maria Treben in Health From
: God's Garden -- German/Austrian herbalists, respectively -- sing the
: praises of comfrey. Theiss advises against internal usage, but Treben
: doesn't. Both books are 5-10 years old. Perhaps the situation in
: Germany has changed?

I quoted what a pharmacist in Stuttgart or Freiburg told me, as she showed
me a box of rather dry and dusty comfrey: "no large demand".  I looked
carefully at all the OTC herbal remedies, and saw none listing Beinwurz
(comfrey) as an ingredient.  There could be specific shops where people go
to buy comfrey, but generally herbal remedies are available all over the
place in the German version of drug stores as well as in pharmacies.

Jay D Mann  <[email-masked]>
Christchurch, New Zealand