Subject: Re: Seeking information on Petroleum and babies

From: [email-masked] (A. Marina Fournier)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 16:16:45 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, Michael Fameli
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> I was told not to use petroleam products on my infant!
> Such as in using vasaline for dry facial skin and/or diaper rash!

There are a number of olive or almond oil based salves you may use, that
are often found at natural grocers or health food stores.  A good
babyporducts store will have them, too, including a non-talc,
non-conrstarch powder (bentonite clay base) for powdering babies dry.
Arthr does just fine with them.  If you are not able to get to such a
store, please email me and I will get a couple of 800 number sources to
you, or at least brand names.
Marina

-- 
"Islay...and it's good-bye to care"

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale Woika)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 05:00:29 GMT

In article A. Marina Fournier writes:

>In article  Michael Fameli wrote:

>you, or at least brand names.

The trouble with using vegetable oils (or any nutritive oils) on infants is 
the danger of bacterial infection.  Basically, you are feeding the bacteria 
on your baby's bottom when using nutritive (vege, animal) oils or 
cornstarch, which can make the problem worse.

The real solution to diaper rash is keeping the tyke dry.  Frequent diaper 
changes help, as does the practice of allowing the kid to run/crawl around 
naked for as long as possible (easier in summer).  Treat the present rash 
with a mild ointment now, & then remember: dry, dry, dry.  Chances are you 
will never have to worry 'bout diaper rash any more.  Petroleum products, i.
e., mineral oil, petroleum jelly (Vaseline tm.), etc.  shouldn't be used for 
any length of time, but occasional use is fine.

Talcum powder doesn't absorb any water.  In fact, when applied to dry skin 
it tends to shed water, sort of.  The talcum powder is more of a dry 
lubricant of sorts, to ease the pain of injured/irritated/inflamed skin 
rubbing against other skin--mostly around the genitalia, buttocks, & areas 
where the legs meet the torso.  Talcum powder is fine for occasional use.  
The problem with talcum powder is usually the scents, which some people are 
allergic or sensitive to.  Avoid the nutritive cornstarch.  Not only will 
bacteria happily eat cornstarch, but cornstarch will readily absorb water & 
give diaper rash a good start!  Plus the resulting bactria-laden sludge is a 
mess.  Recently I saw a brand of cornstarch with anti-bacterial ingredients 
added--how silly!

Remember: the best action for diaper rash is prevention.  Treat the rash, & 
then prevent! by keeping the kid dry & clean.

Dale

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale Woika)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 05:00:29 GMT

Dale