Subject: Keeping my cat out of the garden

From: [email-masked] (Barbara Kathleen Miller)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 18:44:17 GMT

I've just heard from a friend that you can keep a cat from
digging in a garden by tossing orange peel around it.  Can
anyone confirm or deny this from experience?  Or can you
suggest another way?

Thanks!

--
Barbara K. Miller
University of Virginia, SMD '98
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Anna Lillian Walsh)
Date: 13 Jan 95 02:33:17 GMT

Yes!!! This should work, especially if you bruise the 
orange peels first. The down side is that they dry out quickly,
& so have to be replaced until your cat gets used to the idea
of the garden being a "bad smell place".

    My late lamented cat, Kiro, liked to scratch on the cloth-wall-
papered walls of my apartment, so I tried rubbing orange peels on 
the wall, knowing that he absolutely hated the smell. Then I put
him down in front of the wall.. He took off like a shot & wouldn't go
anywhere near that wall until the smell wore off. I personally
can't smell anything (live in a big city, no wonder) & the peels
didn't stain or anything.

   I always recommend orange peals for training cats; not only is
it cheap & easy, but you get your Vit C from eating all those oranges!

PS: I found that Manderin Oranges don't work as well; Navel or
Valencia work best.

Crunchy Frog