Subject: Re: Comfrey

From: [email-masked] (RAVENDNCR)
Date: 14 Jan 1995 19:45:18 -0500

what I have read re: comfrey as a poultice recommends applying it directly
to the skin after applying a little oil to prevent sticking.  However, I
prefer to wrap the poultice in cheese cloth or sterile pad then apply the
pad to the skin for a short period of time.  Reapply if necessary. 
Comfrey works so fast that if you leave it on too long the skin will begin
to heal with the comfrey enclosed.  Perhaps leaving it on "for several
hours" was the cause  of your  allergic reaction.  We tend to think of
herbs as "pretty little things growing in the flower garden" and not as
the strong medicine they provide.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jan Cripsin-Little)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 22:32:54 GMT

I have read with interest the discussion regarding comfrey.  While I have 
never tried using it in a tea form, last summer I did prepare a comfrey 
poultice and use it on a yellow jacket sting.  Sorry I can't report good 
results.  Within hours of applying the comfrey, my skin turned the texture 
of an inner tube and I developed a series of welts everywhere the comfrey 
touched.  Perhaps I have a heightened sensitivity to this particular plant, 
but that experience enough for me.

Jan