Subject: Sinus infections: herbal treatment?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 DEC 94 02:11:41 -0500

I have suffered from chronic sinus infections for years. My doctor
prescribes antibiotics, and then, every once in a while threatens
to send me to the hospital to have my sinuses drained (euwwww!!!).
Since this is something I'd rather *not* do, does anyone have any
herbal remedies/treatment for sinus infection. Typically, I get
a nasty headache, my teeth throb and I either get nauseaous and/or
vomit. Not a fun time. Thanks in advance for any advice.
 
Happy Holidays to all,
Janette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jet Silverman)
Date: 25 Dec 1994 03:39:15 -0800

Eyebright (2 standard capsules) can work wonders for sinus inflamation. 
Though I don't think it will help with the infection itself, it may help 
you feel a lot better.
-Jet
Merry Christmas!

---

From: [email-masked] (TLSHAY)
Date: 25 Dec 1994 15:03:40 -0500

I've been a chronic sinus sufferer for years.  Here's one thing I do when
I feel them beginning to clog up (which, by the way is darned near from
3rd week in Sept to last of April.)

Put yourself in a shower and get the water as hot as you can take it
without it driving you out. Allow the water to stream over your head while
making a cup out of your hands and keeping your hands over your nose and
mouth. This allows you to breathe in steamy water quite effectively. Keep
breathing in this steamy water through your nose, only, and you'll soon
feel all the clog begin to loosen. Periodically stop and massage all the
sinus cavities (you'll feel them - and maybe even hear them - become quite
loose.) This massaging helps to move out all the buildup that's been
clogging you up and acting as a breeding ground for infection and ear
aches and sinus headaches.

I do this until the sinus cavities are pretty-well drained. I've used this
method successfully for many, many years. I get headaches so bad from
sinus infections that I will vomit from them. When I use this, I can keep
my sinuses fairly clean and moving as they should be.

Hope this helps you out.

A fellow sinus sufferer.  Terry

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 04:26:16 GMT

Have you tried steam inhalation of essential oils?
Eucalyptus and tea-tree oil might help.

---

From: [email-masked] (Skye Byrd)
Date: 1 Jan 1995 20:02:26 -0500

Have you tried "ocean drops?" Found in any pharmacy, they are basically
saline solution packaged so you can snort it. It is kind of gross, but it
helps me with my sinsues and can relieve my headache.

Skye Byrd

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert D Carver)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 05:13:30 GMT

RAVENDNCR ([email-masked]) wrote:
: you can get the same results by "
: snorting" salted water--old yoga technique.  check out a book for precise
: technique before trying --- but it works.  : )

I do both the Sun Ten herbs and salt water up my nose.  Salt water 
alone works if you have milder sinus problems.

-- 
  [email-masked]
  Bob Carver
  Dallas, TX