Subject: Re: Guarana

From: [email-masked] (Paw Gep)
Date: 14 Jan 1995 11:15:43 -0500

Steve Weigand   ([email-masked]) writes:

>What can you guys tell me about an herb called Guarana? 

Guarana is the seed of a flowering vine which contains a compound called
guaranine (tetramethylxanthine) which is similar to caffeine
(trimethylxanthine).  It is widely used to increrase mental alertness.  If
enough heat is applied to the seed in processing (industrial processing
produces such heat) or if the seed is roasted, the tetramethylxyanthine
will break down to trimethylxanthine and will produce an effect similar to
that experienced from coffee.  If the seed is air- dried and stone ground,
the breakdown is avoided and a gentle even unnoticable effect can be
expected. Most guarana available in this country is either roasted or 
industrially processed.  One must look very hard to find the proper,
natural herb.  As well, many products which are called GUARANA in big
letters on the label actually contain other herbs (in small print on the
back) -- most notably Ma Huang and Kola Nut.  Either of these herbs would
be even more likely to produce anxiety, etc.

My personal experience with non-roasted, stone ground guarana is that it
seldom causes such symptoms.  Upon investigation another cause is almost
always found.  As an herbalist, I would NEVER suggest these herbs or this
approach to weight loss.  I might, however, suggest herbs which assist in
assimilation, digestion and elimination used in conjunction with a
supervised
program of diet and exercise.

-Paw Gep
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven Weigand)
Date: 14 Jan 1995 08:18:27 GMT

What can you guys tell me about an herb called Guarana?  I have
someone here who is using it for weight loss,  but I know that
most herbs were never meant for that purpose.  Is this one of
those herbs?  Should it be taken for long periods of time?

Incidentally,  it's in a GNC concoction called "NRG".  Its main
ingredients include Pure Guarana.  My guess is that it is a 
stimulant.  But the question is:  does it have harmful long 
term side effects?

Thanks,
 - Steve Weigand
  ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale Woika)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 05:24:49 GMT

>[email-masked]

Actually Guarana contains caffiene as the principle psychoactive alkaloid, & 
the use of such probably poses the same or similar risks as any other form 
of taking caffiene.  I count at least 15 other principle alkaloids.

In William Emboden's book I came across an interesting note about Guarana.

"In October of each year, the Manes and Manduru Kus of the lower and middle 
Tapajos in the Amazon collect seeds of a woody liana, Paullinia cupana.  
These seeds mold quite easily, so they are ground  and mixed with cassava 
flour, from the root of Manihot esculenta, and water to form a chocolate-
colored paste.  Guarana paste is shaped into cylinders that are baked slowly 
over wood fires until they are as hard as stone.  Dried Guarana sticks are 
shipped to Bolivia and Matto Grosso where they are grated on the tongue of 
piraracu, a large fish of the Amazon.  One-half teaspoon of Guarana shavings 
in a cup of sweetened hot or cold water is as indespensible to these people 
as is our morning cup of coffee--and a lot more potent, for Guarana contains 
five per cent caffiene!"

A few "herbal" coffee substitutes out there, e.g., "morning thunder" (TM) et 
al, contain Guarana, & are only another source of the common stimulant, 
caffiene.  Hey, don't get me wrong: I like caffiene, but a drug is a drug...
As for the weight loss, caffiene helps to alleviate hunger & helps to stay 
fatigue.  Weight loss is best accomplished by eating less & excercising 
more, but a cup of plain tea or coffee can help dieters who can stomach 
caffiene.

Dale

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale Woika)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 05:24:49 GMT

Dale