Subject: Re: >>> celiac disease or non-tropical sprue?? <<<

From: [email-masked] (JeffreyF27)
Date: 14 Jan 1995 13:38:18 -0500

Non-tropical sprue/celiac dz is a condition of immune hyperresponsiveness
to gluten.  Gluten is present in wheat, rye, oats, bran, and barley (and
to a much, much lesser degree in millet).

It is not the gluten itself, but rather the immune systems reaction to
gluten which causes the destruction of the small intestinal villi.  This
is often inappropriately called an allergy, which it is not since the
classic allergic pathways are not involved.

Fortunately, villi are one of the fastest regenerating cells in the body,
so the condition quickly self corrects once glutens are removed (though in
an acute crisis additional therapies may be necessary e.g.
antiinflammatories, fluids, electrolytes etc.

There is no treatment necessary except avoiding gluten (and many sprue
patients also have cross sensitivity to sulfites, msg, lactose etc.). 
After curing yourself by avoiding these foods, you can then try to add
back small amounts of foods that you love that contain glutens to see if
there is a reaction.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
a veterinarian with non-tropical sprue
JMF