Subject: evening primrose oil questions

From: [email-masked] (Mark Wilson)
Date: 23 Dec 1994 16:27:50 GMT

I have heard on this group, and elsewhere that evening primrose oil is 
beneficial for Multiple sclerosis.
   I f I took it, in what form would be best, capsules?
                  how much, and how often should I take it?
                  Does anyone know of any bad effects from using it?
                  What good effects may come out of using this?
                  Could it tend to "clash" with prescription meds. I'm 
                   currently taking?

  Sorry for all the questions, but I'll try anything that could help, I 
am very open minded to the use of herbs , oils, as well as vitamins.
 But being a new comer to this group I sure could use the guidence.
   Thanks in advance,    Kathy

--
------------------------------------------------
Name:      Kathy K. Wilson, 
           using the account of Mark A. Wilson
Internet:  [email-masked] !!!
--
Frustrated novice... please bear with me!

---

From: DOUG BLYTHE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 DEC 94 22:13:47 -0500

I am quoting from "Natural Health, Natural Medicine", by Dr.
Andrew Weil.  IMHO, I consider	him very knowlegible in the
field and respect his opinion.		
 
Multiple Sclerosis (pg.312)
	This is one of the most baffling of all diseases
because we understand so little of its causes and the factors
that influence its course and outcome.  The immediate problem
is localized inflammatory damage to the sheaths surronding
nerve fibers, resulting in interference with the conduction of
nerve impulses and distrubance of body functions.  Typical
symptons are loss of vision, motor strength, co-ordination, and
bowel and bladder control.
	(skipping a little)
	When I see new patients with this diagnosis, I give
them long lists of suggestions to experiment with.
	
	Do not stay in treatment with doctors who make you feel
you cannot get better.  That kind of negative suggestion can
have disasrous effects on your health.
	Stay away from caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco.  All of
them can complicate your problems by their effects on the
nervous system and on the gastrointestinal and urinary tracts.
	Follow the dietary guidelines in Chapters 1 and 2.  Eat
very little protein.  Avoid milk and all milk products.
	If constipation is a problem take acidophilus
cultureand psyllium.
	Avoid all polyunsaturated oils.  Use only extra virgin
olive oil and cold-presses canola oil.
	Take black currant oil, 500 milligrams twice a day (pg.
227)
	 	(now here is where evening primrose may be
useful...
		from pg.227....Evening primrose oil, black
currant oil, and borage oil
are natural sources of another unusual fatty oil called GLA
(Gamma-linolenic acid).  Very	hard to come by in the diet,
GLA is an effective anti-inflammatory agent with noe of hte
side effects of anti-inflammatory drugs.  It also promotes
healthy growth of skin, hair, and nails.  I prescribe it
frequently for skin conditions (including  brittle nails and
hair), arthritis, autoimmune disorders, and premenstrual
syndrome.  Do not expect immediate results; it takes six to
eight weeks to see changes after adding GLA to the diet.  These
three products vary in the amount of GLA they supply and in
cost.  I usually recomment black currant oil in doses of 500
milligrams twice a day as the most economical form.  ( I can
concer for the Tampa area, I have used it for a skin condition
(black currant) and have found some relief.  I don't know about
prices in your area though.)
	Eat sardines at least three times a week or take
supplemental linseed oil as sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
	Take the antioxidant formula (beta-carotene, Vitamin E,
Vitamin C, Selenium, and a B-100 B complex vitamin supplement
daily.  He also recommends Lecithin as a way to strengthen
nerve sheaths.  5 grams a day.  Keep this product in the
refrigerator.
	Take coenzyme Q (Co-Q-10), 30 milligrams two or three
times a day.
	Be sure to exercise regurlarly.  Pick aerobic
activities that you can manage, and do not push yourself to the
point of exhaustion.
	Use visualization, meditation, and hypnotherapy to
redirect your mental energies in positive directions.
	Try a variety of healing methods to see if they improve
your condition: acupucture, physical therapy, manipulation,
yoga, and so on, but beware of questionable practitioners
selling "cures".
 
I hope some of this helped.  I know it was a long answer to a
short question, but I had his book handy.
good luck....
 
doug