Subject: croup-like cough

From: [email-masked] (Douglas Wiggins)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 20:56:00 GMT

DH>From: [email-masked] (David Hickey-Schiappa)
DH>Subject: croup-like cough

DH>(sounds like the kid is coughing himself half to death)
DH>                                      [email-masked]

Although you found the solution to your problem of cough, there is
an herbal remedy for cough, named Lo-Han-Kuo (the spelling differs
>from  brand to brand, and it will not work to ask for it by name, as
it sounds nothing like it is spelled). It is found in oriental
grocery stores, in the tea section, in a green box. Each box has
twelve smaller boxes within it, and each of the small boxes contains
two "bouillon" cubes, each of which is dissolved in hot water to
drink (concentration is not important, but one cube per cup is good
for me). If the cough does not go away within 15 minutes, repeat -
you cannot use too much of the stuff, as it is a food.

The box says that it contains "Fructus momordica", which means
"fruit of momordica", and I believe that it is Momordica
balsamifera, a gourd. This gourd can be purchased whole, either
alone (from glass jars), or in soup mixes (found in a plastic bag of
dried roots, berries and herbs) - it is about 2" in diameter, brown,
and I believe they toast it lightly before putting it up for sale.
The gourd is naturally sweet, from some non-sugar natural sweetener
it contains, but the cubes contain extra sugar. The cubes cost a
little over a dollar for a box of 24 cubes. Many people do not know
about its breath-enhancing qualities, but when I turned my
chiropractor on to it, he said it was good for his mountain
climbing, because it allowed him to breath deeper. Good luck.
        -Douglas Wiggins [email-masked], Portland, Oregon
---
 * OLX 2.1 TD * Zoron Research, Inc. - Custom Glassblowing to spec