Subject: bitter melon

From: cth@eagle (CTH Ltd.)
Date: 29 Dec 1994 23:05:48 GMT

I was wondering if anyone knows where to get bitter melon - I hear it is 
good for Hepatitis C.

---

From: [email-masked] (Conrad Richter)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 94 01:08:58 EST

[email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo) writes:

> BITTER MELON
> Prepared by Martin A. Majchrowicz
> Spring 1994
> 
> Bitter Melon (Momordica charantia) is a plant/fruit that belongings to the
> family cucurbitacea. Chinese cucumber, the plant/fruit from which compound
> Q (a.k.a. GLQ 223 and tricosanthin) is extracted, also belongs to this
> family. Bitter melon, also known as bitter gourd, bitter pear melon,
> karela, ampalaya, balsam pear, bitter apple, wild cucumber, cindeamor,
> carilla plant, African cucumber, margose, concombre African, and the herbs
> Kuguazi (China) and Karela (Pakistan), is common in Asia as well as in
> Southern California and southern Florida. This leafy plant bears fruit
> which looks like a bumpy cucumber. The fruit, seeds, leaves, flowers,
> stems, and roots of this plant have been used in Chinese medicine for
> treating gastrointestinal infections, as an appetite stimulant, to decrease
> blood sugar in diabetics, and to induce abortion in mid-term pregnancy.
> More recently, research has shown that bitter melon may be useful as
> treatment against cancer and HIV/AIDS.

I am confused by this:  up till now, I have understood that Trichosanthes
kirilowii to be "the" source of Compound Q, the anti-HIV agent.  Aka as 
"Chinese cucumber", "Chinese snakegourd", and "Trichosanthes".  The drug 
"GLQ223" is supposed to be a highly purified extract of the protein 
trichosanthin, which is from Trichosanthes.  

For ref, consult Foster's Herbal Emissaries (plus I could dig up more 
refs if I weren't so bleary eyed right now).  

So how did the source of Compound Q, etc., suddenly turn out to be 
the bitter melon, Momordica charantia, a very different plant?  

Conrad Richter

RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                 [email-masked]
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests:  [email-masked]
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | What's New for '95:    [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (PlantMed)
Date: 30 Dec 1994 05:04:47 -0500

So how did the source of Compound Q, etc., suddenly turn out to be 
the bitter melon, Momordica charantia, a very different plant?  <

Conrad Richter

RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                
[email-masked]
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests: 
[email-masked]
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | What's New for '95:   
[email-masked]

There are a number of momordicas used in Chinese medicine, but the source
of Compound Q is trichosanthis.  It is not the same as bitter melon, which
is a bumpy vegetable available at most vegetable stalls in Chinatown.  It
grows well from seed, also.  The bitter fruits are commonly used in India
as well.  Typically, they are fried to cut down the bitterness, or they
are mixed in an eggplant soup.  Being a bitter, they can be used as part
of an appetizer to stimulate digestion.

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Dorsey)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 13:05:59 GMT

> I was wondering if anyone knows where to get bitter melon - I hear it is 

I don't know if it's good for anything, but it makes a very fine soup.  Your
local oriental grocery should have it; it's pretty common.  Also, Park's 
Seed Company should have seeds if you should want to grow your own.
--scott
-- 
"C'est un Nagra.  C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

---

From: [email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo)
Date: 30 Dec 1994 22:42:42 GMT

PlantMed ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Conrad Richter replies:
: >I am confused by this:  up till now, I have understood that Trichosanthes
: kirilowii to be "the" source of Compound Q, the anti-HIV agent.  Aka as 
: "Chinese cucumber", "Chinese snakegourd", and "Trichosanthes".  The drug 
: "GLQ223" is supposed to be a highly purified extract of the protein 
: trichosanthin, which is from Trichosanthes.  

: So how did the source of Compound Q, etc., suddenly turn out to be 
: the bitter melon, Momordica charantia, a very different plant?  <

Hmm...good question.  I didn't write the factsheet and I don't know
a whole lot about bitter melon.  I'll ask on sci.med.aids and see if
folks there have any comments.

---

From: [email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo)
Date: 30 Dec 1994 00:46:31 GMT

CTH Ltd. (cth@eagle) wrote:
: I was wondering if anyone knows where to get bitter melon - I hear it is 
: good for Hepatitis C.

I'm attaching the AIDS Project Los Angeles factsheet on bitter melon.  If
you want a well studied and probably effective herbal treatment for hepatitis
try silymarin, which is an extract of milk thistle.  I just ran a MEDLINE
search on it, and the track record, including in humans is impressive.  It
hasn't been studied in viral hepatitis but there are quite a few studies on
toxic hepatitis in animals and one very well done (randomized, double blind
and placebo) controlled study on humans with cirrhosis of the liver from
a variety of reasons.  Additionally, no adverse effects have ever been
reported in humans or animals, and even the always conservatibe US FDA
regards it as 'probably safe'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
           Camilla Cracchiolo, RN   [email-masked]

        Shrine of the Cybernetic Madonna BBS  213-766-1356
        "The Board that Hates Rush Limbaugh With A Passion"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Treatment Education Program                213.993-1482 Treatment Advocate
AIDS Project Los Angeles                   213.993-1483 Treatment Advocate
1313 North Vine Street                     213.993-1484 Program Manager
Los Angeles, California 90028              213.993-1529 Materials
===========================================================================
          T R E A T M E N T    E D U C A T I O N    P R O J E C T
===========================================================================
        Jon Greenburg Library of Alternative Therapies for HIV/AIDS
===========================================================================
Copyright 1994, AIDS Project Los Angeles. We encourage you to share these
fact sheets with others. Permission is granted for reproduction in full,
and copies must be provided free of charge.
===========================================================================
The information in these fact sheets is not medical advice. It is intended
to help people with HIV/AIDS make informed choices. Please consult with a
physician before making any decisions regarding treatment.
===========================================================================

BITTER MELON

MECHANISM OF ACTION
Researchers at the University of Hong Kong discovered alpha- and beta-
momarchorin, two proteins that inhibit HIV. A researcher at the University
of New York discovered another HIV-inhibitory protein, MAP 30, which has
been shown to inhibit reverse transcriptase and p24 expression, with very
little effect on uninfected cells. A recent report on MAP 30 has shown that
it may also inhibit HIV through destroying viral DNA. All three of these
proteins have been extracted from the seeds of the fruit. These and other
proteins that have been extracted have been categorized as Ribosome-
Inactivating Proteins (RIPs). (Ribosomes are proteins necessary for the
replication of viruses.) Ribosome-Inactivating Proteins, which are also
present in Compound Q (GLQ 223), have been shown to inhibit the replication
of herpes simplex virus (HSV-l) and poliovirus. Therefore, bitter melon may
have similar HIV-inhibitory properties to GLQ 223 but with much less
toxicity.

The abortion-inducing properties of bitter melon and GLQ 223 work by
preventing the interaction of syncytial cells in the placenta. This same
mechanism may prevent cell-to-cell infection, known as the syncytium
formation.

Extracts from the whole fruit have been shown to have anti-cancer
properties in mice. The authors of this study suggest that the anti-cancer
properties may be due in part to an enhancement of immune function induced
by the bitter melon. Another study has shown that bitter melon extracts
suppressed lymphocyte proliferation and macrophage and lymphocyte activity
in mice.

The antiviral and immune-modulating properties of bitter melon make this an
interesting and unique approach to treating HIV/AIDS that deserves further
research.

STUDIES
Unfortunately, there have been no clinical studies using bitter melon or
any extracts. Hundreds of anecdotal stories exist about the good and the
bad of bitter melon. The most well known is the story of a man in Los
Angeles who began drinking bitter melon tea in 1988. Prior to starting
bitter melon, his CD4 cells had just declined from 640 (37%) to 480 (32%)
with minor symptoms. Several months later his CD4 cells and percentage had
gone back up. He later switched to a bitter melon retention enema due to
the taste of the tea. As of February 1992, his CD4 count was 1370 (38%).
His complete blood counts and blood chemistry were all in the normal range.
Today this man is alive, very healthy, and continuing bitter melon therapy.
Other case histories exist which show similar results of sustained or
increased CD4 cell counts and/or normalization of CD4/CD8 ratio. There are
also reports that some people have experienced improved bowel movements,
weight gain, and clearing of dermatitis. The only adverse reactions
reported are diarrhea and fevers. However, there are those who claim they
received no benefit from using bitter melon extracts.

The first case history described above sparked the interest of people with
HIV/AIDS in Los Angeles, triggering the formation of bitter melon support
groups. The man described above lead the support group and disseminated
information on how he administered bitter melon. One Los Angeles area
physician agreed to follow everyone in the group but discontinued due to
poor compliance and lack of results. Many people continue to use bitter
melon reporting sustained CD4 cells and CD4/CD8 ratios.

PREPARATION
Bitter melon is available through most Filipino and/or Asian grocery
stores, and some farmers markets. Because the plant is seasonal and is
difficult to grow in the winter, it is sometimes sold frozen. The
appropriate method of administering bitter melon is to make the extract
>from  the fruit, vines, and leaves of the plant and either drink it as a
juice, tea or administer it as a retention enema. Some say that drinking
the juice or tea will result in the breakdown of the active components by
stomach acids, therefore a retention enema would be a more efficient route.

Therapy A: Bitter melon fruit
-----------------------------
1. Thoroughly wash one pound of bitter melon fruit.
2. If using a juicer: Put fruit in juicer and save juice for drink or
   enema.
3. If using a blender: Chop bitter melon fruit into small pieces and put
   in blender.
4. Add sixteen ounces (two glasses) of distilled water.
5. Blend for two minutes until liquefied.
6. Pour mixture into strainer and squeeze pulp to obtain the maximum
   amount of liquid.
7. Use liquid portion for drink or enema. Use within three days.

Therapy B: Blended bitter melon leaves
--------------------------------------
1. Thoroughly wash leaves and vines of plant.
2. Pick leaves from stem and put in blender until it is three-quarters
   full.
3. Follow steps 4-7 from above.
(If using the enema approach, you may need to dilute the liquid further by
adding water. This mixture may be sensitive to the colon.)

Therapy C: Boiled bitter melon leaves and stems
-----------------------------------------------
1. Place one and-a-half to two pounds of thoroughly cleaned bitter melon
   leaves and vines into a large pot.
2. Add one gallon of water.
3. After bringing to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately
   thirty minutes.
4. Remove from heat and cool.
5. Remove leaves and vines.
6. Save liquid portion for a tea or an enema.

IMPORTANT NOTES
Bitter melon drinks should not be mixed with other juices or artificial
flavors.

The suggested amount of drink or enema is twelve to sixteen ounces per day.
Combinations of drink and enema can be done. Enemas can be done several
times per day if unable to do the entire amount at one time.

If an enema is done, it must be held inside until the liquid is completely
absorbed. An enema bag or anal syringe can be used.

Bitter melon fruit, leaves, or stems should always be refrigerated before
and after processing. The boiled preparation should not be stored for
longer than two weeks. However, the stems and leaves, as well as any juice
prepared, can be frozen for an indefinite period of time.

AVAILABILITY
The following are grocery stores that sell bitter melon in the Los Angeles
area:

     Lorenzano's
     (213) 664-9901
     67 N. Vermont Ave.
     Los Angeles

     Laguna Sea Food
     (213) 962-3056
     5637 Santa Monica Blvd.
     Los Angeles

For additional information please contact:
     Stanley Rebultan
     (213) 874-0027
     P.O. Box 93546
     Los Angeles, CA 90093

Bitter melon is also available in a freeze dried capsule form. For
information please contact:
     Dr. Qin Cai Zhang
     (212) 889-0633
     87-89 5th Ave, Suite 604
     New York, NY 10003

REFERENCES
Cunnick, J, Takemoto, D: Bitter melon (Momordica charantia). Journal of
Naturopathic Medicine 1(4) 16-21, 1993.

Foa-Tomasi, L, Campadelli, G, Barbieri, L, et al: Effect of ribosome-
inactivating proteins on virus-infected cells. Inhibition of virus
multiplication and of protein synthesis. Archives of Virology 71, 323-332,
1982.

Ho, WK, Liu, SC, Shaw, PC, et al: Cloning of the cDNA of alpha-momorcharin:
a ribosome inactivating protein. Biochim Biophys Acta 1088(2):311-413,
1991.

Jeu, G: Asian bitter melon plant shows promise as AIDS treatment. Uptown
Express. September, 1992.

Lee-Huang, S, Chen, HC, Kung, HF, et al: MAP 30, an anti-HIV protein,
inhibits both ribosomal RNA function and DNA topological interconversions.
IX Int Conf on AIDS, Berlin, June 1993. #PO-B26-1993.

Lee-Huang, S, Huang, PL, Nara, PL, et al: MAP 30: a new inhibitor of HIV-1
infection and replication. FEBS 272(1,2):12-18, 1990.

Korsia, S: Of Melons and Cucumbers... I Heard It Through The Grapevine #6,
April 1992.

Zhang, QC, Khanyile, C: Primary report on the clinical use of extracts of
momordica charantia in HIV patients. VIII Int Conf on AIDS, Amsterdam, June
1992, #PuB 7597.

Zhang, QC: Preliminary report on the use of Momordica charantia extract by
HIV patients. The Journal of Naturopathic Medicine 3(1):65-69, 1992.

a

---

From: [email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo)
Date: 30 Dec 1994 00:52:32 GMT

More on hepatitis C: the standard medical treatment right now is
alpha interferon, which about 30-50% of people respond to.  I suggest
that you be in touch with a doctor about trying it.

I can't post the whole search I did on silymarin, but here is the abstract
>from  the human study that I uncovered.  It's not a miracle drug, but
it does appear to have some benefit.

TI  - Randomized controlled trial of silymarin treatment in patients
      with cirrhosis of the liver.
AD  - 1st Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of
      Vienna, Austria.
AB  - Silymarin, the active principle of the milk thistle Silybum
      marianum, protects experimental animals against various
      hepatotoxic substances. To determine the effect of silymarin on
      the outcome of patients with cirrhosis, a double blind,
      prospective, randomized study was performed in 170 patients with
      cirrhosis. 87 patients (alcoholic 46, non-alcoholic 41; 61 male,
      26 female; Child A, 47; B, 37; C, 3; mean age 57) received 140 mg
      silymarin three times daily. 83 patients (alcoholic 45,
      non-alcoholic 38; 62 male, 21 female; Child A, 42; B, 32; C, 9:
      mean age 58) received a placebo. Non-compliant patients and
      patients who failed to come to a control were considered as 'drop
      outs' and were withdrawn from the study. All patients received
      the same treatment until the last patient entered had finished
      2-years of treatment. The mean observation period was 41 months.
      There were 10 drop outs in the placebo group and 14 in the
      treatment group. In the placebo group, 37 (+2 drop outs) patients
      had died, and in 31 of these, death was related to liver disease.
      In the treatment group, 24 (+4 drop outs) had died, and in 18 of
      these, death was related to liver disease. The 4-year survival
      rate was 58 +/- 9% (S.E.) in silymarin-treated patients and 39
      +/- 9% in the placebo group (P = 0.036). Analysis of subgroups
      indicated that treatment was effective in patients with alcoholic
      cirrhosis (P = 0.01) and in patients initially rated 'Child A' (P
      = 0.03). No side effects of drug treatment were
      observed.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

--