Subject: Re: Areca Catechu (Betal Nuts)

From: Riesgo Luis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 95 01:44:59 -0500

Kermi <[email-masked]> writes:
 
>Any one know the toxicity of Betal Nut chewing? The active component is
>Arecoline, a stimulant. Is this the Areca Palm that just about every
>nursery sells in the spring?
 
not it is not the same...   but if your looking for Piper Betal, the wrapper
plant , i have it growing.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Powner)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1995 09:09:41 +0000

> >nursery sells in the spring?

It *is* the same - the Latin name for the Betel nut is Areca catechu of
the Palmae family. It's only known as the Betel nut because of it's use
with the Betel leaf. Their best application is in the prevention/removal
of worms - usually in veterinary preparations!

It is also associated with oral cancer, and it's use is been discouraged,
although it's still readily available here with the leaves to wrap it in.

The leaves are actually called Betel  (Latin  Piper Betle, of the family 
Piperaceae), and this is where the other correspondent is mistaken.
-- 
David Powner                   Internet: [email-masked]
Micronair {Pollution Control}  Phone   :(01782) 565816
1 Blackthorn Place             Fax     :(01782) 565834
Newcastle under Lyme           Data    :(01782) 562213 (24hr BBS to V32)
ST5 7BE          U.K.          Mobile  : 0831 879135