Subject: Re: ephedra

From: [email-masked] (Paw Gep)
Date: 4 Jan 1995 12:05:35 -0500

There has been much discussion of late on the net and elsewhere
concerning the Chinese herb Ma Huang, or ephedra sinica. It would seem
that there is much misinformation making the rounds and I would like to
begin to attempt to clear some of it up.

	The three main alkaloids present in this plant are ephedrine,
pseudoephedrine and nor-pseudoephedrine. 

	Because of its name, many mistakenly assume that pseudoephedrine
is the synthetic version of ephedrine. In fact it would appear that this
compound acts to help "balance" the herb in a way that is lost when single
compounds are extracted or synthesized.

	The species of the plant found in America, ephedra nevadensis,
contains less ephedrine (in relation to the pseudoephedrine and
nor-pseudoephedrine) and has a much gentler effect.  It is however, strong
enough to suit the needs of most.

	The herb is effective for asthma and hay fever as a
bronchodialator and helps to relieve cold & flu symptoms.  It is often
used in combination with other herbs to create maximum effect. While it
has been shown to be effective in weight-loss, a responsible herbalist
would have to carefully consider recommending it for this purpose.

	It should be avoided by those with high blood pressure, heart
disease, thyroid disease and diabetes.

	It seems to me that the sale of synthesized ephedrine as
over-the-counter "speed" is a misuse of the herb, encourages abuse and
should be discouraged.  But to allow the herb to be banned would be a big
mistake. It would be a shame to lose use of this wonderful herb through
politics and/or misunderstanding.

references:

Murray, Michael T., N.D.: The Healing Power of Herbs. Prima Publishing,
Rocklin, CA  1991, 
pp141-145

Wren, R.C., F.L.S.: Potter's New Cyclopaedia of Botanical Drugs and
Preparations. The C.W. 
Daniel Company, Ltd., Saffron Walden  1989, p108

Kowalchik, Claire and William H Hylton, Ed.: Rodale's Illustrated
Encyclopedia of Herbs. Rodale 
Press, Emmaus, PA  1987, p184

-Paw Gep