Subject: Flower remedies

From: [email-masked] (Richard Andersen)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 2:16:9 GMT

INTRODUCTION
                       
 This is a small INFO on the Bach remedies, which is a very fine system for
 treating mental disorders in a natural way. It is a personal posting, and
 not an advertisement from any company. I have however, apart from my own
 short introduction here, used a small pamphlet from the Bach Centre in
 England as a text source, as it explains things quite well. A few addition
 are taken from books and other sources, including my own experience with
 the system.

 The Bach System consists of essences made from 38 different flowers. 
 Each remedy has a specific action upon a certain mental attitude.
 This way there is a remedy or combination of remedies for any kind of
 mental disorder. 

 The Bach remedies are not tranquilizers, which just allay symptoms
 without dealing with the causes of the mental disorders, like most
 orthodox chemical medicine does (some of the remedies, though, have strong
 tranquilizing effects, but they work in a quite different, and positive
 way). Conversely, they attack problems at the root. Just as our body
 has its own self-healing properties regarding diseases, wounds etc.,
 our mind and spirit have their own self-healing capacities (actually
 these things are deeply connected, but that is another story). The Bach
 remedies stimulate these processes in a natural way, thus creating a
 true healing of the disorder, without side effects of any kind. 

 They are excellent in combination with other kinds of mental or spiritual
 therapy, which seeks to reveal and treat the real causes of mental
 disorders, rather than covering them up. 

 The text deals with the issue that mental disorders are the primary
 cause of physical illnesses. My personal experiences and studies in 
 recent years seems to confirm this viewpoint, though I still have some
 unsolved questions regarding this subject (sometimes it can be quite
 tricky to reveal, what it really was that cured a disease; there are
 many factors involved to take into consideration...). 

 End of introduction.

                               - * -

                          THE BACH SYSTEM

 The remedies used are all prepared from the flowers of wild plants,
 bushes and trees, and none of them is harmful or habit forming.

 They are used, *not directly*, for physical complaints, but for the
 sufferer's worry, apprehension, hopelessness, irritability, etc.,
 because these states of mind or moods not only hinder recoverery of
 health and retard convalescense, but are generally accepted as primary
 causes of sickness and disease.

 A long-continued worry or fear, as is well-known, will deplete the
 individual's vitality; he will feel out of sorts, below par, not himself,
 and the body then loses its natural resistance. As peace and harmony is
 achieved, unity returns to mind and body, closing the circuit as it were
 and allowing the Life Force to flow freely again, thus providing the
 body its chance to produce its own *natural* healing.

 This system and the remedies were discovered by a doctor who had practised
 for over 20 years in London as a Harley Street consultant, bacteriologist
 and homeopath. The late Edward Bach, M.B., B.S., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P.,
 D.H.P., gave up his lucrative practice in 1930 to devote his full time to
 seek energies in the plant world which would restore vitality to the
 sick, so that the sufferer himself would be able to overcome his worry,
 his apprehension, etc., and so assist in his own healing.

 Dr. Bach developed great sensitivity both in mind and body. If he held
 his hand over a flowering plant, or the flower in the palm in his hand,
 he could sense in himself the properties of that flower.

 Before finding a particular flower, he would suffer in himself, and very
 acutely, the negative state of mind for which that flower was needed and,
 at the same time, he was privileged, as he said, to suffer from some
 physical complaint. Then he would wander about the fields and lanes
 until he was 'led' to find the flowers which would immediately restore
 his serenity and peace of mind, and within a few hours the physical
 complaint would also be healed.

 In this way he found 38 flowers to cover all known negative states of
 mind from which mankind can suffer, categorizing them in seven headings:

  -Those for anxiety and apprehension.
  -For uncertainty and indecision.
  -For loneliness.
  -For insufficient interest in present circumstances.
  -For over-sensitiveness to ideas and influence.
  -For despondency and despair.
  -For over-care for the wellfare of others.

 As the Bach Remedies are benign in their action and can result in no
 unpleasant reactions, they can be taken by anyone. Stock concentrate
 Remedies will keep indefinitely - a 10 ml concentrate bottle will
 make approximately 60 treatment bottles. More than one remedy can be
 taken at the same time - 2 drops of each chosen Remedy in a glass of water
 and sipped at intervals, or in a 30 ml (1 fl.oz) drop-bottle filled with
 spring water (this represents a treatment bottle) from which 4 drops are
 directly placed on the tongue at least 4 times a day. If the mixture tends
 to spoil or get sour, which can happen especially in warm weather, whisky,
 gin, cognac or whatever can be added for conservation (the total alcohol
 percentage in the mixture should be at least 20 %). If you want to avoid
 alcohol, you can use 50% cider vinegar or rice vinegar instead.

 Litterature and issued instructions are self-explanatory, making it
 quite simple for sufferers to help themselves and others. If further
 advice is required a brief description is needed of the person's
 personality, temperament, general outlook, worries etc., and reasons
 for same if any. Also needed is any great disappointment or upset which
 might have left its mark, and what effect it has had on thoughts, actions,
 outlook and so on.
 
 Please remember - consider the person's attitude, feelings, worries,
 indecision, timidity, vexations, resentment, possessiveness, hopelessness
 lethargy, hatred, overpowering or demanding nature, intolerance, tenseness,
 etc., and most essentially the reason "why" there is apprehension, worry
 and fear etc. Only then can the correct remedy(ies) be determined.
 Physical conditions are only considered as a guide to the person's state
 of suffering and its subsequent effect on the sufferer's outlook.
 
      *It is up to the person to take medical advice if necessary*

                                - * -

                 The "RESQUE REMEDY" (Liquid or Cream)

 Dr.Bach combined five specific Remedies from the 38 to formulate an
 emergency composite that he chose to call "Resque Remedy". He saved
 a fisherman's life in 1930 with this preparation.

 Its purpose is to comfort/reassure and calm those who have received
 serious news, severe upset, startling experiences, consequently
 falling into a numbed, bemused state of mind.

 To nullify the sufferers anguish is of the utmost importance. This helps
 the natural healing process of one's being to proceed without hindrance.

 Therefore the "Resque Remedy" is invaluable to keep at hand for immediate
 use until the arrival of the doctor if necessary. It does not take the
 place of medical attention.

 "Rescue Remedy" is taken orally (4 drops in a glass of water), but can
 also be applied externally either in liquid or cream form - see the
 included instruction leflet. *Animals and plants can also benefit from
 this treatment*.

                                   - * -

                 AT A GLANCE REFERENCE TO THE BACH REMEDIES

    1.  AGRIMONY        
    Those who suffer considerable inner torture which they try to
    dissemble behind a facade of cheerfullness. Often used as
    a remedy for alcoholism.

    2.  ASPEN    
    Apprehension - the feeling that something dreadful is going to
    happen without knowing why. Unexplainable anxiety, presentiments.
    Anxiety for no known reason.

    3.  BEECH
    Critical and intolerant of others. Arrogant.

    4.  CENTAURY
    Weakness of will; those who let themselves be exploited or imposed
    upon - become subservient; difficulty in saying "no". Human doormat.

    5.  CERATO
    Those who doubt their own judgment and intuition, seek advice of
    others. Often influenced and misguided.

    6.  CHERRY PLUM
    Uncontrolled - irrational thoughts. Fear of losing control and
    doing something terrible, fear of "going crazy". Uncontrolled bursts
    of temper. Impulsive suicide.

    7.  CHESTNUT BUD
    Refusal to learn by experience; continually repeating the same
    mistakes.

    8.  CHICORY
    The overly-possesive, demands respect or attention (selfishness),
    likes others to conform to their standards. Makes martyr of oneself.
    Interferes and manipulates.

    9.  CLEMATIS
    Indifferent, inattentive, daydreaming, absent-minded. Mental escapist
    from reality.

    10. CRAB APPLE
    "The Cleanser Flower". Feels unclean or ashamed of ailments.
    Self disgust/hatred. House proud.

    11. ELM
    Temporarily overcome by inadequacy or responsibility, though
    normally very capable.

    12. GENTIAN
    Despondent. Easily discouraged and rejected. Skeptical, pessimistic.
    Depression, where the cause is known.

    13. GORSE
    Desperate, without hope: "Oh, what's the use". Defeatism.

    14. HEATHER
    People who are obsessed with their own troubles and experiences.
    Talkative 'bores' - poor listeners.

    15. HOLLY
    For those who are jealous, envious, revengeful and suspicious.
    Those who hate

    16. HONEYSUCKLE
    For those with nostalgia and who constantly dwell in the past.
    Home-sickness.

    17. HORNBEAM
    "Monday morning" feeling but once started, task usually fulfilled.
    Mentally tired. Procrastination.

    18. IMPATIENS
    Impatience, irritability. Reacts in an exaggerated manner.

    19. LARCH
    Despondency due to lack of self-confidence; expectation of failure,
    so fails to make the attempt. Feels inferior, yet has the ability.

    20. MIMULUS
    Fear of *known* things, fear of the world. Shyness, timidity,
    bashfulness.

    21. MUSTARD
    "Dark cloud" of depression that descends for no known reason which
    can lift just as suddenly, making one downcast, saddened and low.

    22. OAK
    Brave determined types. Struggles on in illness and against
    adversity despite setbacks. Plodders, never resting.

    23. OLIVE
    Drained of energy - everything an effort. Physically fatigued.

    24. PINE
    Feelings of guilt. Blames oneself for the mistakes of others.
    Feels unworthy.

    25. RED CHESTNUT
    Excessive care of, and concern for, others, especially those
    held dear.

    26. ROCK ROSE
    Alarmed, panicky, full of trepidation.

    27. ROCK WATER
    For those who are hard on themselves - often overwork. Rigid
    minded, self denying. Ascetic.

    28. SCLERANTHUS
    Uncertainty/indecision/vacillation. Fluctuating moods.

    29. STAR OF BETHLEHEM
    For all the effects of serious news, or fright following an
    accident, etc.. For release from trauma, not matter how
    old it is.

    30. SWEET CHESTNUT
    Absolute dejection. Feels one has reached the limits for
    what one can stand.

    31. VERVAIN
    Over-enthusiasm, over effort; straining. Fanatical and highly
    strung. Incensed and frustrated by injustices.

    32. VINE
    Dominating/inflexible/ambitious/tyrannical/autocratic. Arrogant
    pride. Considered to be good leaders.

    33. WALNUT
    Protection remedy against powerful influences, and helps
    adjustment to any transition or change, e.g. puberty, menopause,
    divorce, new surroundings. Contrary to CENTAURY the person
    knows what he wants, but is easily influenced by other people
    to do something else.

    34. WATER VIOLET
    Proud, reserved, sedate types, sometimes "superior". Little
    emotional involvement, but reliable/dependable.

    35. WHITE CHESTNUT
    Persistent unwanted thoughts. Pre-occupation with some worry
    or episode. Mental arguments. Constant inner dialog.

    36. WILD OAT
    Helps determine one's intended path of life.

    37. WILD ROSE
    Resignation, apathy. Drifters who accept their lot, making
    little or no effort for improvement - lacks ambition.

    38. WILLOW
    Resentment and bitterness with "not fair" and "poor me"
    attitude.

    39. RESQUE REMEDY
    A combination of Cherry Plum, Clematis, Impatiens, Rock Rose,
    Star of Betlehem. All purpose emergency composite for effects
    of anguish, examinations, going to the dentist etc..
    Comforting, calming and reassuring to those distressed by
    startling experiences.

                                - * -

 Dr. Bach lived and worked in Mount Vernon, England, where he discovered
 his healing flowers in the fields and hedgerows surrounding the area.
 The very same wild flower locations are used to this day in the
 preparation of the Flower Remedies by the present custodians, who are
 dedicated by legacy, to maintaining the simple method and use of the
 Remedies as intended by Dr. Bach, and so faithfully carried out 
 by the late Nora Weeks after the doctor's death.

 The 38 Remedies cover every negative state of mind known to man, and
 will (in keeping with Dr. Bach's express wish) remain a complete entity.
 Therefore no claimed "extensions", "furtherance" or prepared facsimile
 of the Bach Remedies hold any association with the Bach centre whatsoever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

  POSTSCRIPT

 The remedies are made by a special process - a infusion or decoction
 of the dried herbs will have no effect at all. A few of them are actually
 slightly poisonous used this way; however this is *not* the case for the
 remedies, as they are used in low homeopathic potency (they have been
 tested for toxicity by official authorities and none has been found).
 For those who want to try to make the remedies themselves, further
 information can be obtained from me. However, the original remedies are
 very inexpensive in use (a few dollars a month for a longtime treatment),
 so I hardly find it worth making them oneselves. Besides you are insured
 to get a high quality product made by experts when using the original
 remedies.

                                - * -

 If you cannot locate the remedies locally, you can get information from
 the following addresses:

 USA/CANADA:      
 Ellon (Bach USA) Inc. P.O. Box 320, Woodmere,
 N.Y. 11598 USA (Phone 516 825 2229)

 GERMANY/AUSTRIA/SWITZERLAND
 M. Scheffer Hp., (Bach Centre German Office), Eppendorfer Landstr. 32,
 2000 Hamburg 20, W. Germany. (Tel 040 464624)

 AUSTRALIA
 Nonesuch Botanials Pty. Ldt., P.O. Box 68, Mt. Evelyn, Vic. 3796,
 Australia (Phone (03) 762 8577)

 Martin & Pleasance Wholesale Pty. Ldt., P.O. Box 4, Collingwood,
 Vic. 3066, Australia (Phone 419 9733)

 HOLLAND/BELGIUM
 Holland Pharma, Postbus 37, 7240 AA Lochem, Holland (Tel 05730-2884)

 DENMARK
 Camette, Murervej 16, 6700 Esbjerg, Denmark (Tlf 7514 5455 / 7514 5225)

 You can also get information about books on the subjet at these addresses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (David Powner)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 09:50:44 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Richard Andersen" writes:
>  not an advertisement from any company........

Longest non-advert I've ever seen!

>  England as a text source............

Can't find the Bach Centre!

>  Dr. Bach lived and worked in Mount Vernon, England..........

Can't find Mount Vernon (Mountain, village or town)! 

>  tested for toxicity by official authorities and none has been found).

I won't bother asking!
>  N.Y. 11598 USA (Phone 516 825 2229)

I'll check these out later today for the UK address?

>  2000 Hamburg 20, W. Germany. (Tel 040 464624)

This phone number is an old folks home! 

>  Australia (Phone (03) 762 8577)

Definitely Nonesuch - 'phone not connected!

>  Vic. 3066, Australia (Phone 419 9733)

Not a full phone number!

>  Holland Pharma, Postbus 37, 7240 AA Lochem, Holland (Tel 05730-2884)

Another dead phone number!

>  Camette, Murervej 16, 6700 Esbjerg, Denmark (Tlf 7514 5455 / 7514 5225)

One dead phone number, no answer on the other! 

>You can also get information about books on the subject at these addresses...

I should be so lucky! 
By the way, all the following phone numbers work!
-- 
David Powner                   Internet: [email-masked]
Micronair {Pollution Control}  Phone   :(01782) 565816
1 Blackthorn Place             Fax     :(01782) 565834
Newcastle under Lyme           Data    :(01782) 562213 (24hr BBS to V32)
ST5 7BE          U.K.          Mobile  : 0831 879135

---

From: [email-masked] (David Powner)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 14:08:25 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>

> I'll check these out later today for the UK address?

Latest update folks...

Another scam... this number is Duty Free Shoppers!
> David Powner