Subject: Claims made for Kombucha

From: [email-masked] (David Powner)
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 11:09:01 +0000

I've recently aquired some literature, actually as an indirect result
of an article posted here.

It claims that someone named Kombu took the tea (cha?) from Russia to
Japan, where it has gained widespread acceptance because of it's near
magical properties.

However, I read in one of my herbal manuals that "kombu" is a Japanese 
preparation made with the blades of various Laminaria species. No mention
is made of the inclusion of any fungus. This would seem to conflict with
the previous "story".

Anyone (paricularly *Japanese*) have any comments?

David Powner                   Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (MycoWorld)
Date: 2 Jan 1995 16:57:46 -0500

There is a tea made of kelp and other such tings that goes by the name of
Kombu-cha.  I understand it is available in some oriental herb shops in
the U.S.  The super duper kombucha/Manchurian Mushroom etc etc.  Is
actually a growth  of bacteria and yeasts that has tons of wonderful
claims, but little or no actual proof of efficacy.  Several deaths have
been attributed to contaminated tea - not something we recommend to
anyone.
Jerry
[email-masked]
Jerry, Editor - The Mushroom Growers' Newsletter
[email-masked]