Subject: Re: Endometriosis

From: [email-masked] (LaFae)
Date: 30 Dec 1994 10:38:19 -0500

I was diagnosed with endometriosis this summer  after surgery for an
ovarian cyst.  The cyst itself was found through a routine pelvic exam,
and then confirmed with an ultrasound.  If your friend has a cyst, when
the doctor tells you that he/she wants to wait for a cycle, this is
actually good advice (I had three opinions and did a lot of research) but
he/she should have explained why.  Without actually doing an operation
(hopefully minor surgery called laparoscopy) the type of cyst (if that's
what it is) or endometriosis can't be definitively diagnosed.  Some types
of cysts are functions of ovulation, and will subside within one or two
cycles.  Also, if it is a cyst it can be viewed with an ultrasound (the
transvaginal ones seem to be clearer than the on-the-belly ones) and one
or two types can be ruled out.  The doctor I ultimately ended up using
also did what she called a tumor-marker blood test, to try and rule out
malignancy (the risk of this is really low, but why fool with it?)

If it is endometriosis, estrogen will actually encourage it rather than
inhibit it.  I had some luck (and a friend of mine had even better
results) working with a naturopath who offered a series of herbals
throughout the cycle, and also worked with acupuncture.  I have a great
book that I think is called ALTERNATIVES FOR WOMEN WITH ENDOMETRIOSIS that
explores alternative treatments - I got it at a health food store. 
Unfortunately, I lent it to a friend and can't remember the exact title.

Endometriosis is typically identified with severe cramping during the
menstrual period itself.  I do know that some people get cramping
mid-cycle when they ovulate...is your friend sure of her diagnosis?  Does
the doctor agree with it?  A second opinion certainly sounds in order.  If
it is endometriosis (which is a potential threat to fertility), it would
be appropriate for her to get an opinion from a reproductive
endocrinologist, who should be well versed in the least invasive surgical
techniques and treatments.  

Good luck - if I can help with more information, please e-mail me at
[email-masked].   

At any rate