Subject: Re: Urgent Request regarding Infected Cut

From: [email-masked] (Robin and Ennien Ashbrook)
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 1994 02:27:20 GMT

[email-masked] (Bruce Lee) writes:
> Has anyone used raw garlic or a piece of aloe vera plant on an infection?
> Did it help?

Garlic releases sulfur and is one of the best antibiotics and antiseptics 
in the plant kingdom.  While I use essential oil of lavender for infected 
wounds myself, I know people who use garlic with as much success.
 > Would an 
application of tea tree oil help?  > 

Yes.  Tea Tree oil is also anti-fungal.
Cheers,
-==- Ennien

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Ennein & Robin Ashbrook               |                             |
| Internet: [email-masked]   |   " To each, their own. "   |
| UUCP: calgary!debug!galatia.9         |                             |

---

From: [email-masked] (Yes, I'm still here...)
Date: 23 Dec 1994 16:31:14 GMT

>I am looking for information on how to treat an infected cut in the
>natural way.  I am presently soaking it in hot water and salt. 

Use sugar.  Pack your infected wound with sugar, irrigate after an hour
or two, the repeat until infection is broken.

If it's get's really bad, try maggot therapy.

Greg

---

From: [email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo)
Date: 28 Dec 1994 06:25:58 GMT

Bruce Lee ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I am looking for information on how to treat an infected cut in the
: natural way.  I am presently soaking it in hot water and salt.  My doctor
: wants me to take antibiotics but I would like to avoid them if possible.

Why does the doctor want you to take antibiotics?  How bad is the cut?  Are
you diabetic or do you have a vascular condition that would increase your
risk from infection?  

My own approach to cuts I have is to soak in hydrogen peroxide for a few
minutes, wash it carefully and then apply betadine twice a day.
Hot water might help, and a mild saline solution can be soothing to tissues;
unfortunately, unless it's a strong solution which will sting a lot, saline
isn't going to do much to bacteria.

The big risks from an infection are gangrene and/or blood poisoning, also 
called septicemia. My mother in law almost died from septicemia this year,
after she got an infection in a cut on her leg.  Gangrene is more likely
in folks with condtions like diabetes or Reynaud's Disease, that prevent
blood flow to the extremities.  If the infection is not 
getting better after a couple of weeks, or if it looks like it's spreading,
or the hand is becoming swollen, reddened, hot to the touch and particularly
if red streaks are seen coming from it or a strong foul odor is noted, 
it's time to stop the home remedies and do what the MD recommends.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
           Camilla Cracchiolo, RN   [email-masked]

        Shrine of the Cybernetic Madonna BBS  213-766-1356
        "The Board that Hates Rush Limbaugh With A Passion"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (CATSMACK)
Date: 4 Jan 1995 11:01:17 -0500

I've used aloe on cuts and burns (I'm a cook!) and it works great. It
really cuts the pain and speeds healing but I don't know how it would help
an infection. Get  well soon.