Subject: Re: Echinacea and fever..?

From: [email-masked] (Phil Holmes)
Date: 23 Dec 1994 17:55:19 GMT

I have been using echinacea for about 1 year. Last year I had a 
dozen colds,this year I only caught the flu so far. I hope it's t
he herb. I have not noticed a rise in temp like you. Who knows?

---

From: RAV <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 12:21:58 -0600

There's an excellent article on Echinacea in ECONOMIC BOTANY 
43(4):498-507, 1989. Author is Kelly Kindscher. While Kelly writes for 
the science audience, the citations within the text should be of interest 
to y'all into folklore. Kelly does a good job of summarizing the 
scientific literature into a very readable form.
  Our organization summarized the article for a lay audience in a 1990 
newsletter. I do not have reprints--try your local University library 
for the complete journal article. --Vic Rudis, Mississippi Native Plant 
Society, P.O.Box 2151, Starkville, MS 39759.

On 19 Dec 1994, Michael Faulkner wrote:

> I have taken echinacea for cold relief for years, and recently began
> taking it preventatively, week-on, week-off.  I've noticed something 
> it helps me through these cold Chicago nights...but I'm wondering 
> if anyone else has ever noticed it.
 
Just wondering: What Echinacea is taken? Powder, liquid forms vary in 
strength as well as by source (at least 5 different species,each with 
varying chemical composition).