Subject: Re: >>> celiac disease or non-tropical sprue?? <<<

From: [email-masked] (Margaret Baker)
Date: 15 Jan 1995 14:37:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
Eric Alan Braun <[email-masked]> writes:

> my mom has this condition and was told to stay of off all wheat
> products. she was also told to stay of off millet. is this true? why?

My sister had an infant form of celiac. She was unable to metabolize
sugar, milk, wheat. She ate a *lot* of banannas. As she matured, she
was able to utilize some of the forbidden foods, but she still has
problems if she overindulges for too long. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Charles & Margaret Baker, Portland, Oregon, USA ([email-masked])
"Orchid Species Culture" - Timber Press. Vol.1, Pescatorea, Phaius,
Phalaenopsis, Pholidota, Phragmipedium, Pleione - ISBN 0-88192-208-0
Vol. 2, in press, Dendrobium

---

From: [email-masked] (Sharon)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 00:23:43 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, Eric Alan Braun
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> hi,
> 
> does anyone know anything about this condition?
> 
> celiac disease or non-tropical sprue
> aka gluten enteropathty
> aka gee-herter disease
> aka geethaysen disease
> aka huberner disease
> 
> what therapies are effective for this? 
> 
> thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
> 
> .eric
> 
>     _\\|//_  If you don't have a sense of humor,
>       o o       then it's just not funny!
> --uuu--U--uuu--------------------------------------------------------------
>       \_/   "Open your heart today - Don't wait for a surgeon to do it 4 U"  

         A sensitivity to the gliadin part of gluten, a protein found in
wheat,rye and to a lesser amounts in barley and oats. Most frequently
affects people of Irish desent 1 in 300 , also somewhat prevailant in
India. Previously only diagnosed when malabsorption is found in
conjunction with a jejunal biopsy. Now there is a blood test if you are
still eating gluten products, it detects the antibodies. I have been
eating gluten free for the past 6 years. Luckly there are plenty of
alternative products out such as rice or corn pastas, rice bread( a bit
crumbly) and other gluten free products. Often a person who has celiacs
needs to avoid milk and some other foods to give the intestines a chance
to heal. Good luck, Sharon.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Jan 1995 05:21:26 GMT

In <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Sharon) writes:
>Previously only diagnosed when malabsorption is found in
>still eating gluten products, it detects the antibodies. 

Sharon, my ex-wife is a celiac person, (quite severe).  She feels our daughter
is also celiac, and has put her on a very strict diet, beyond just gluten.
I want the jejunal biopsy performed.  No doctor has told me about the blood test.
Do you have any further information on the blood test? Such as a name?

I appreciate any comments you have.

Thanks Doug

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Jan 1995 05:21:26 GMT

Thanks Doug