Subject: Heparen derivative

From: [email-masked] (Dan Yokoyama)
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 04:25:00 GMT

Does any herbalist reading this conference know of an herb plant that 
produces the anticoagulant heparen? I've read newspaper reports that 
this drug taken in conjunction with a specific dose of aspirin can
help women who have fertility problems in which the fertilized egg
fails to "anchor" to the uterine wall. 

... Catch the Blue Wave!
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

---

From: [email-masked] (Conrad Richter)
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 95 23:31:26 EST

> fails to "anchor" to the uterine wall. 

Heparin is a natural anticoagulant found in blood.  Commercial heparin
is from animal sources, chiefly beef lung.  

There are a number of plant anticoagulants, such as the vitamin K 
antagonists, the coumarin derivatives.  Plants like melilot (sweet 
clover), vanilla grass and sweet woodruff are high in these compounds.  
However, their use in the context you have in mind is NOT advised 
because improper use can lead to hemorrhaging and even death.  

Conrad Richter

RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                 [email-masked]
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests:  [email-masked]
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | What's New for '95:    [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Hilda Marshall)
Date: 3 Jan 1995 15:18:12 GMT

>because improper use can lead to hemorrhaging and even death.  

Isn't coumarin what they make D-Con mouse poison with?  I saw one
of these little murine hemophiliacs once on its last legs - not a
pretty sight.  (I still like it better than glueboards, though.)

Love, Hilda (who, overall, prefers just to keep the food in airtight
thingies and keep a cat!)