Subject: Migraines

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Jan 1995 09:05:44 -0600

Can anyone tell me what herbs would be effective in the prevention and/or 
treatment of migraine headaches? Thank you very much.

---

From: [email-masked] (DBFX1)
Date: 1 Jan 1995 11:04:22 -0500

I have have tremendous help from feverfew in combatting my
migraine/cluster type headaches..I tried feverfew after years of drug
therapies, including all the latest and experimental drugs, accupuncture,
and biofeedback. I still get headaches on feverfew, but it has reduced the
number of headaches and has significantly shortened the duration of the
headache. Chamomile is also supposed to help, but for some odd reason,
that herb seems to cause a migraine for me!

---

From: [email-masked] (Conrad Richter)
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 95 12:44:56 EST

> treatment of migraine headaches? Thank you very much.

First, and foremost, is feverfew.  There is good documentation on its 
effect on migraine.  It is available widely, and it is easy to grow 
if you want to grow your own.  

You may want to consult the book, "Feverfew" by Hancock.  If you can't
find it locally, we have it available. 

One note: not all feverfew is created equal.  There are recent reports 
that some commercial products are almost completely devoid of the key 
medicinal constituent, parthenolide.  It turns out that some strains of 
feverfew are much higher in parthenolide than others.  Richters offers 
a superior parthenolide strain, and has begun a research program to 
develop even better strains.  

Conrad Richter

RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                 [email-masked]
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests:  [email-masked]
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | What's New for '95:    [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Marylin Kraker)
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 95 18:32:42 EST

> treatment of migraine headaches? Thank you very much.

Feverfew is very helpful as a preventive. Old herbals say to eat a couple of
leaves every day -- in the modern world I use 1 capsule daily. It may not
prevent all of them, but at least seems to reduce the severity. 

Health,

Marylin

--
Marylin Kraker, user of the UniBoard System @ c4systm.com
E-Mail: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 C4 Yourself BBS       Voice: (517) 423-3454        Fax/BBS: (517) 423-3667
 C4 Systems, Inc.   6585 Hack Road, RR#1, Clinton, Michigan, USA 49236-9530

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Crawford)
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 09:25:50

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Marylin Kraker) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Marylin Kraker)
>Date: Sun, 01 Jan 95 18:32:42 EST
>Subject: Re: Migraines

>prevent all of them, but at least seems to reduce the severity. 

Feverfew can be somewhat effect in treating acute migraines but is most 
effective in preventing migraines from occuring.  However, it may take one to 
three months of regular usage (e.g. 1 capsule up to three times daily) before 
any real reduction in the number of headaches is noticed.  Many people are 
helped by using fever, so it is worth the wait.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patrick Crawford                             Snail Mail:13 Fountain Dr.
[email-masked]                               Charlottetown, PEI
phone:(902)894-8095(home)                               Canada   C1A 6L9
      (902)894-8553(work)

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 2 Jan 1995 17:56:04 GMT

>prevent all of them, but at least seems to reduce the severity. 

You may also want to call the 800 number of the National Headache
Foundation to find out what foods to avoid.

margaret

-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (FRED W. BACH)
Date: 2 Jan 1995 13:47 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes...
#Can anyone tell me what herbs would be effective in the prevention and/or 
#treatment of migraine headaches? Thank you very much.

  There is a HEADACHE mailing list for this:

  Here is my subscription and the answer-back from the listserv:

From:	REG::MUSIC        "FRED W. BACH" 19-JUL-1994 19:22:58.09
To:	MX%"[email-masked]"
CC:	MUSIC
Subj:	

SUBSCRIBE Headache "Fred W. Bach"

*********** Edited ANSWERBACK **********************

Further administrative requests regarding this list should be sent via
e-mail to:
                           <[email-masked]>

The following commands can be handled automatically by LISTSERV:
    SIGNOFF Headache        - to remove yourself from the list
    REVIEW Headache         - to get a list of subscribers
    QUERY Headache          - to get the status of your entry on the list
    SET Headache NOMAIL     - to remain on the list but not receive mail
    SET Headache MAIL       - to reverse the NOMAIL setting
    SET Headache CONCEAL    - to conceal yourself from REVIEW listings
    SET Headache NOCONCEAL  - to reverse the CONCEAL setting
    SET Headache NOREPRO    - to prevent the list from sending you your
                                  own postings
    SET Headache REPRO      - to reverse the NOREPRO setting
    LIST                    - to get a list of mailing lists available on
                                  this host
    HELP                    - to receive a help file
    QUIT                    - to terminate processing (skip signature, etc.)

Please do NOT send administrative messages to the list address
(<[email-masked]>) as posts to this address are distributed to all
subscribers of the list.

By default, new subscribers are set to MAIL, NOCONCEAL, REPRO.  All posts
to Headache should have the list address in the Reply-To: field.

                        About Headache Archives

Discussions on the list are automatically archived on a monthly basis at
Sam Houston State University, which sponsors this list.  The files may be
retrieved via electronic mail, anonymous ftp, or Gopher from the Internet
host Niord.SHSU.edu [192.92.115.8].  The archive file names are:
 HEADACHE.yyyy-mm
where "yyyy" is the year of the posting and "mm" is the numeric equivalent
of its month (i.e., January=01, February=02,...,December=12).  For example,
the archives of the list for April, 1994, would reside in the file:
 HEADACHE.1994-04

Via anonymous ftp, the files are available at Niord.SHSU.edu in the
directory [FILESERV.HEADACHE].

Via electronic mail, include the message:
 SENDME HEADACHE.yyyy-mm
in the body of a mail message to <[email-masked]> (using the appropriate
extension in place of "yyyy-mm").  You may send FILESERV multiple commands
so long as each resides on a unique line of the mail message.  If you are
interested in available FILESERV commands, include the command HELP in the
body of a mail message to it.  Please note that the mail access to the
archives are supported by FILEserv, while list-related commands are
supported by LISTserv.

Via Gopher, point your Gopher client to Niord.SHSU.edu (port 70).  From the
main menu, select the directory titled:
  Network-based Information and References/
Once there, select the menu titled:
  Archives of <[email-masked]>/
Via Gopher, the archives are supported by a full-text Boolean logic search
engine so that they may be used as a reference for future endeavors.  The
direct Gopher link information for these archives is:
#
Name=Archives of <[email-masked]>
Type=1
Port=70
Path=1gopher_root:[_DATA.FILESERV.HEADACHE]
Host=Niord.SHSU.edu
URL: gopher://Niord.SHSU.edu:70/11gopher_root:[_DATA.FILESERV.HEADACHE]

If you have any questions or comments about this list, or are in need of
assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the list owner directly at
any of the addresses provided below.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
George D. Greenwade, Ph.D.                       Internet: [email-masked]
Department of Economics and Business Analysis      THEnet:    SHSU::BED_GDG
College of Business Administration                  Voice:   (409) 294-1266
Sam Houston State University                          FAX:   (409) 294-3612
Huntsville, TX 77341-2118 USA
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
(This message was generated automatically.)

 ******************* end LISTSERV Answer-back **********************

 Fred W. Bach ,    Operations Group        |  Internet: [email-masked]
 TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)    |  Voice:  604-222-1047 loc 327/333
 4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS            |  FAX:    604-222-1074
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   V6T 2A3
  Damien says " If you don't STAND for SOMETHING, you'll FALL for ANYTHING "
 These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
 They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.

---

From: [email-masked] (Margaret Young)
Date: 3 Jan 1995 00:10:39 GMT

Marylin Kraker ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] writes:

: > Can anyone tell me what herbs would be effective in the prevention and/or 
: > treatment of migraine headaches? Thank you very much.

: Feverfew is very helpful as a preventive. Old herbals say to eat a couple of
: leaves every day -- in the modern world I use 1 capsule daily. It may not
: prevent all of them, but at least seems to reduce the severity. 

: Health,

: Marylin
I have migraines and I have feverfew in the form of a pretty plant.  The only
problem with eating the leaves of this pretty plant is that they taste VILE!
Believe me, when you have a migraine the last thing you want to do is eat
or drink the stuff in the form of a tea.

So, as I see no point in buying capsules when I've got the plant, does anybody
know how to make the stuff palatable? Can you bake it in brownies, bury it in
cinnamon?  I would love some suggestions.
margaret
: --
: Marylin Kraker, user of the UniBoard System @ c4systm.com
: E-Mail: [email-masked]
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
:  C4 Yourself BBS       Voice: (517) 423-3454        Fax/BBS: (517) 423-3667
:  C4 Systems, Inc.   6585 Hack Road, RR#1, Clinton, Michigan, USA 49236-9530