Subject: Re: Cure for Prostatisis?

From: [email-masked] (David Powner)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 19:52:52 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Tom Kirk" writes:

> My husband has a prostate problem and I am looking for information on any 
> herbal remedies that anyone might have for this problem.  Any information on 
> this would be highly apreciated!
> 
According to the book "The Scientific Validation of Herbal Medicine" by
Daniel B. Mowrey, Ph.D. ISBN 0-87983-534-6 (Printed in USA) $14.95 :-

Parsley, Saw Palmetto Berries, Cornsilk, Buchu leaves, Cayenne, Kelp
and Pumpkin seeds are beneficial in various ways.

Saw Palmetto berries seem to be the "in thing" at the moment, and are 
claimed in many publications to reduce inflammation & pain etc.

Apparently it's use is not approved in the USA.

Suggest you buy a few herbal books - they all refer to prostate problems
and the relief thereof. Also suggest that you look at :
alt.support.prostate.prostatitis.
-- 
David Powner                   Internet: [email-masked]
Micronair {Pollution Control}  Phone   :(01782) 565816
1 Blackthorn Place             Fax     :(01782) 565834
Newcastle under Lyme           Data    :(01782) 562213 (24hr BBS to V32)
ST5 7BE          U.K.          Mobile  : 0831 879135

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Scott)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 23:35:11 GMT

>this would be highly apreciated!

In the subject you called it "prostatitis", which is different from prostate 
cancer or bengin prostatic hypertrophy.   You need to know the difference, and 
be sure! (Translation: first get a good diagnosis from a qualified urologist; 
then worry about herbal treatments.)

For BPH the herb saw palmetto is recommended.  I use it, with a low dose of 
Hytrin, and it certainly does shrink the prostate.  So does having sex. 

For a prostate infection, I would go with an antibiotic, which are, of course, 
either natural products --by fermentation-- or derivatives of natural 
products. Other antimicrobial products may be totally synthetic, but, if they 
work (Bactrim, for example) so what?

Be sure to rule out the Big C first.  This is done by a digital exam via the 
rectum, and at least two PSA (prostate specific antigen) tests, unless the 
first one comes up very high.  An ultrasound visualization may also be used.

Hope this helps.

- - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 [email-masked] (Don Scott, P.O. Box 611, Elk Grove IL 60009-0611)
     "Maybe you have big problems, but remember, if you don't
      have big problems, the little ones look like big ones."
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Kirk)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 22:41:02