Subject: Re: Ma Huang

From: [email-masked] (broomstick)
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 1994 08:28:10

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (PlantMed) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (PlantMed)
>Subject: Re: Ma Huang
>Date: 18 Dec 1994 04:40:02 -0500

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Alice
>Ramirez) writes:

>Fat-burning is a misuse of Ma Huang, and that will likely be the reason
>the FDA will ban it.  Ma Huang is used traditionally in combination with
>other herbs to balance its side effects, such as rapid heartbeat, high
>blood pressure.  It is used for asthma and "cold-type" external disorders
>in Chinese diagnostics.

Rumors, rumors, rumors....

Seriously, IS the FDA planning to ban Ma Huang and/or other varieties of 
Ephedra?  Don't give me "my friend heard from HIS friend and they said 
that..." kind of info, I want HARD FACTS.

I know the FDA is under pressure from the industrio-pharmaceutical types to 
ban herbal remedies - the reasons usually given are that they are "dangerous" 
(so is crossing the street) or that "they don't work" which WE know is bovine 
excretement.

Anyone got hard info out there?  I'm particularly concerned about Ma Huang as 
it gets me through the pollen season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
			|
>---Broomstick---	| "If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains,
			| however improbable, must be the truth."
			|				-- S. Holmes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (PlantMed)
Date: 24 Dec 1994 12:20:13 -0500

The FDA is currently "investigating" Ma Huang due to a couple of toxic
overdoses.  Luckily, the new law makes it more difficult for them, but
Chinese products are very easy to stop simply by denying them entry.  The
FDA regularly bans Chinese patent medicines due to certain ingredients.  I
know of at least ten medicines that we have lost.  A couple of them were
rightfully banned, since they had pharmaceutical ingredients, but a number
of banned products simply had ingredients that the FDA decided were toxic,
even though there have never been any toxic reactions.  Most people don't
know about this, since these products are used mostly by Chinese people
and acupuncturists.  Since Ma Huang is currently abused in so-called
"energy" products as well as in some decongestants, there have been toxic
reactions.  We can only hope that the FDA exercises some restraint while
investigating this herb.

---

From: E. M. Tatsuhwa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 DEC 94 23:50:15 -0500

>reactions.  We can only hope that the FDA exercises some restraint while
 
   What kind of toxic reactions are they?  I'm hypoglycemic and, though I can
usually regulate ny blood-sugar with nutritional supplements, I sometimes
_have_to_ use Ma Hung as a stimulant when my blood-sugar bottoms out, or suffer
lethargy & a deep sleep similar to a black-out (which sucks when I have to
work or function in school).  Ma Hung is the only herb/stimulant I've found
that let's me function completely fine even when I'm aware that my blood-sugar
just sank into a dark pit.  I can look down and say "Ha!  I no longer suffer
down in that pit!"  I use other herbs of course, but none have the immediate
effect (if I need it, I need it within 30 min. or I'm gone) and the overpowering
effect of Ma Hung.  All other herbs that I've tried or currently use, take about
12 hours to a week or more and are still quite subtle:  Fine for the long term,
but useless for the now.

---

From: [email-masked] (PlantMed)
Date: 30 Dec 1994 04:51:30 -0500

usually regulate ny blood-sugar with nutritional supplements, I sometimes
_have_to_ use Ma Hung as a stimulant when my blood-sugar bottoms out, or
suffer
lethargy & a deep sleep similar to a black-out (which sucks when I have to
work or function in school).  Ma Hung is the only herb/stimulant I've
found
that let's me function completely fine even when I'm aware that my
blood-sugar
just sank into a dark pit.  I can look down and say "Ha!  I no longer
suffer
down in that pit!"  I use other herbs of course, but none have the
immediate
effect (if I need it, I need it within 30 min. or I'm gone) and the
overpowering
effect of Ma Hung.  All other herbs that I've tried or currently use, take
about
12 hours to a week or more and are still quite subtle:  Fine for the long
term,
but useless for the now.>

Reply from plantmed:
The most common side effects are rapid heartbeat and raised blood
pressure.  If Ma Huang gives you energy, then so does coffee or speed. 
This so-called energy is simply your autonomic nervous system cranking up.
 An experienced practitioner would focus on normalizing your blood sugar
with diet and herbs in order to produce true energy.

---

From: [email-masked] (broomstick)
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 12:31:29

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (PlantMed) writes:
>Date: 30 Dec 1994 04:51:30 -0500

>just sank into a dark pit.

[snip]

>with diet and herbs in order to produce true energy.

This last paragraph could only have been posted by someone who DOESN'T suffer 
a metabolic disorder (no offense - just an observation).

While a proper diet IS key to normalizing hypoglycemia (or many other 
metabolic disorders) there ARE times when this is not possible.

For example:  you go somewhere, your car breaks down, you're stranded, this 
throws you off your diet and meal schedule, the added stress causes your body 
to burn energy faster, etc.  Before you know it, you're heading for a 
blackout.  This will happen no matter how well you eat otherwise.

You go on a trip, and when you look for food (it's mealtime) all you can find 
is either deep fried, high fat garbage or donuts - both of which will cause a 
hypoglycemic problems.  So, you're a hundred (or more) miles from home, your 
plane is going to take off in five minutes what do you do?  Take your lunch?  
If you can!  If you cross an international border or board an airplane this 
may be forbidden by law, to carry food with you!  Don't travel?  What if your 
job requires it?  What if it's to visit a sick relative?

OCCASSIONAL use of Ma Huang to tide one over in such situation is NOT abuse, 
it is USE.  The problem is when this gets to be a daily thing.

=============================================================================
			|
>---Broomstick---	| If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains,
			| however improbable, must be the truth.
			|				-- S. Holmes
=============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Fisher)
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 04:09:54 GMT

PlantMed ([email-masked]) wrote:
: PlantMed <[email-masked]> writes:
:  
: lethargy & a deep sleep similar to a black-out (which sucks when I have to
: work or function in school).  Ma Hung is the only herb/stimulant I've
: found
: that let's me function completely fine even when I'm aware that my
: blood-sugar
: just sank into a dark pit.

: Reply from plantmed:
: The most common side effects are rapid heartbeat and raised blood
: pressure.

[stuff deleted from above]

It seems to me the most significant element has been overlooked.  If you 
know your blood sugar is low (you can feel it), and if you feel as 
though you will begin to sink into a "dark pit", then I really think you 
should leave the herbs alone for the moment and reach for something to 
elevate your blood sugar.  If left to run its course, this "dark pit" may 
be the last thing you get into before a coffin.  You can quickly and 
easily lose touch when you reach this stage.  Within minutes you may not 
have the ability to reach for anything.

Take care of yourself immediately by RAISING YOUR SUGAR.  Then try to 
stabalize your diet when you have time to spare.

Some herbs which may help are Licorice, Marshmallow, Valerian, Skullcap, 
and Juniper.

Health and happiness in the New Year!

--
    ____  ____
   /___/ /__isher
  / \on /           [email-masked]