Subject: Re: Cider Vinegar as a Health Supplement?

From: [email-masked] (Jon Charles Gilliam)
Date: 13 Jan 1995 15:39:07 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.) writes:
>Somewhere I read about a home "remedy" (actually health supplement) which 
>involved taking a mixture of X amount of cider vinegar, and some honey
>(I think) in a glass of (warm/cold?) water.
>
>Is anyone familiar with both the process, and what the benefits are supposed
>to be?

   Mixing cider vinegar and honey with a strong infusion of sage, lemon
balm, and golden seal make a good gargle for a sore throat.

:jon

-- 
-----
Jon C. Gilliam   <[email-masked]>
   The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple.
    -- Oscar Wilde
-- 
-----
Jon C. Gilliam   <[email-masked]>
   The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple.
    -- Oscar Wilde

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Sullivan)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 13:02:38 GMT

-----
>    -- Oscar Wilde --

The cider vinegar and honey health supplement is described in the book, Folk 
Medicine, by D.C. Jarvis (Fawcett Crest Books, originally published by Holt 
Rinehart 1958).  Don't know if it's still in print.  The author was a Vermont 
doc; he describes all kinds of health benefits from honey and vinegar, not 
necessarily used together.  He also talks about kelp, iodine, castor and corn 
oil, and potassium, giving all kinds of anecdotal evidence from animals as 
well as humans.  He also discusses the importance of paying attention to where 
your ancestors come from and trying to fit your diet to the kinds of thing 
your ancestors would have evolved eating.  Looking through the table of 
contents makes me want to read the thing again!  Check out how your skin feels 
if you put about a cup or two of cider vinegar in a tub.  Clearly, something 
is going on.  You're sort of tenderized.

Cheers,

Pat

---

From: [email-masked] (Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 20:52:01 GMT

Thanks!

-- 
      I am: mom, attorney, fathers' rights advocate, founder of F.R.E.E.
    creator of fathers' rights newsgroups and the alt.support.* hierarchy
   Fathers' Rights & Equality Exchange info is available from [email-masked]
              "A Real Woman is Never Too Old" - Cher, _Mermaids_

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Sullivan)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 15:51:35 GMT

>Pat

I'm rereading the book, and the recipe is 2 teaspoonfuls cider vinegar plus 2 
teaspoonfuls honey in 1 glass of water.  Sip one glassful three times per 
day.  The vinegar is supposed to provide potassium, and the honey 
supposedly regulates blood sugar levels and helps the circulatory system stay 
supple.  The vinegar is also supposed to change the urine from alkaline 
(unhealthy says Jarvis) to acid (healthy).  To that end, he also says no 
citrus juice, yes cranberry, apple, grape.  He's also big on kelp and 
switching from wheat products to corn or rye, limiting protein in the diet in 
favor of fruits and vegetables.  Pretty current sounding advice, for 1958, eh?
Of course his book claims vinegar and honey helps everything from infertility 
to chronic fatigue to dizziness.  But check out the book - it's very 
entertaining, written in an old-timey style, and has some interesting stories.

P.S. Wasn't someone offering a first edition of this book in this newsgroup 
recently?  

Pat