Subject: Herbs to aid conception

From: [email-masked] (KelleyWal)
Date: 16 Jan 1995 10:48:04 -0500

Hi all,

Are there any herbs known to aid in conception.  My husband and I have
been trying to get pregnant and think maybe we could use some help. 
Thanks.

Kelley

---

From: [email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo)
Date: 16 Jan 1995 16:37:57 GMT

KelleyWal ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hi all,

: Are there any herbs known to aid in conception.  My husband and I have
: been trying to get pregnant and think maybe we could use some help. 
: Thanks.

This isn't an herb, but it is over the counter.  It's also anecdotal so 
take it with a large grain of salt.  But some fertility specialists 
recommend that women trying to get pregnant use an expectorant compound 
called guifenisen, which is found in Robitussin among other remedies (you 
can get it by itself, without the cough suppressant).  Expectorants thin 
mucus, which is why they're useful in colds: it's easier to cough up the 
thinner junk in the lungs.

However, it's mucus thinning effects are not limited to the lungs.  Seems 
it may also thin the cervical mucus, making it easier for the spermies to 
swim on up.

Guifenisen is regarded as an extremely safe compound.  I'm unaware of any 
adverse effects having been reported in the literature (although there 
are some questions about it's effectiveness in coughs).  So it probably 
can't cause any harm if you try it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
           Camilla Cracchiolo, RN   [email-masked]

        Shrine of the Cybernetic Madonna BBS  213-766-1356
     "We Hate Rush Limbaugh *and* Newt Gingrich With A Passion"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------