Subject: Re: Herbs for maintaining a healthy liver?

From: [email-masked] (Mark D. Gold)
Date: 31 Dec 94 11:42:57 -0500

>From: [email-masked] (Brian Kraiss)
>Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs
>Subject: Herbs for a maintaining a healthy liver?
>Date: 31 Dec 1994 04:40:02 GMT
>
>I would like like to know what herbs there are out there for keeping your 
>liver clean & healthy?  Specifically any herbs or treatments which can
>help prevent a person from developing Cirrhosis of the liver.
>
>I've heard Dandelion greens or roots are good for this.
>
>Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated!

Brian,

Yes, I believe that eating dandelion greens can be helpful to the 
liver.  I think eating cooked greens, in general, on a regular basis 
and not concentrating on *only* one particular plant (i.e., dandelion)
is *very* beneficial.  I drink dandelion root tea from time to time and
have found it very helpful.

There's a couple of very good books by Christopher Hobbs on healing 
the liver:

  "Foundations of Health:  The Liver & Digestive Herbal"
   by Christopher Hobbs
   Botanica Press, Box 742, Capitola, CA, c1992

  "Natural Liver Therapy"
   by Christopher Hobbs
   Botanica Press, Box 742, Capitola, CA, c1993

In my case, using holistic healing techniques that provided long-term 
strengthening of my digestion system, was the most helpful for my liver.  
You may want to visit an herbalist for a formula customized to your 
particular needs.

Hope this helps.

			     - Mark
                          [email-masked]