Subject: Chronic Fatigue

From: [email-masked] (Sean Pollack)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 00:25:36 GMT

My father has chronic fatigue and I wonder if anyone knows of an herb 
that helps this condition.

He is active in taking a lot of homeopathic herbs; sometimes I think he 
takes so much its hard to figure out what the heck is going on.

Does anyone know of herbs that help, and herbs that hinder?

Thanks!

Sean Pollack

---

From: [email-masked] (Hilda Marshall)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 14:48:43 GMT

I don't know about herbs, but your father might try changing his
eating habits - instead of 3 normal meals a day, 6 or 7 smaller
meals (a bowl of soup here, a half sandwich there) can at least
keep digestion from being enough work to wear him out further.

Love, Hilda

---

From: [email-masked] (Hilda Marshall)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 14:50:30 GMT

[email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo) writes:

>I sent you the CFS FAQ, on the assumption that you may be interested in 
>knowing more about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

>However, I must emphasize here:  it is *extremely* important that your 
>father get a good medical workup to figure out why he is tired all the 
>time.  There are many serious medical conditions whose only symptom in 
>the early stages is fatigue.  Among these are cancers, and various 
>infections.  He might also be suffering from a sleep disorder, such as 
>sleep apnea, which is treatable.

What *is* Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, anyway?  Is it a recognized
disease, or more of a "catch-all" like "hysteria" or "senility?"

Love, Hilda

---

From: [email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 21:15:12 GMT

Hilda Marshall ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo) writes:

: >I sent you the CFS FAQ, on the assumption that you may be interested in 
: >knowing more about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

: >However, I must emphasize here:  it is *extremely* important that your 
: >father get a good medical workup to figure out why he is tired all the 
: >time.  There are many serious medical conditions whose only symptom in 
: >the early stages is fatigue.  Among these are cancers, and various 
: >infections.  He might also be suffering from a sleep disorder, such as 
: >sleep apnea, which is treatable.

: What *is* Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, anyway?  Is it a recognized
: disease, or more of a "catch-all" like "hysteria" or "senility?"

The US Centers For Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health 
Organization recognize it as real and disabling, although no one is sure 
what it is.  Some doctors think it's primary depression, but there's a 
lot of new evidence coming out that contradicts that idea.

It has clear diagnostic criteria, it's not a catch all, it's not hysteria 
and it's not senility.

I'll send you the FAQ.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
           Camilla Cracchiolo, RN   [email-masked]

        Shrine of the Cybernetic Madonna BBS  213-766-1356
     "We Hate Rush Limbaugh *and* Newt Gingrich With A Passion"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 14 Jan 1995 14:46:03 GMT

>Does anyone know of herbs that help, and herbs that hinder?

The past president of the German Oncological Association (who also
practices alternative medicine) has claimed on the radio that chronic
fatigue syndrome might be caused by exhaust fumes from catalytic converters.
margaret

-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (A. Marina Fournier)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 21:49:30 -0800

> >that helps this condition.

Has he been checked for ameobic infestations?  A growing number of people
who have been diagnosed with CF have pursued the matter further and found
that once the ameobas were gone,  so were the symptoms.

-- 
"Islay...and it's good-bye to care"

---

From: [email-masked] (Gre1440)
Date: 16 Jan 1995 11:47:47 -0500

>that once the ameobas were gone,  so were the symptoms.

I have never heard of ameobic infestations.  Please tell me more.

Thanks!
--md

---

From: [email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo)
Date: 17 Jan 1995 04:45:17 GMT

Gre1440 ([email-masked]) wrote:
: >Has he been checked for ameobic infestations?  A growing number of people
: >who have been diagnosed with CF have pursued the matter further and found
: >that once the ameobas were gone,  so were the symptoms.

: I have never heard of ameobic infestations.  Please tell me more.

Amoebic infestation means you are infected with one of the pathogenic 
species of amoebas.  The most common one in humans is entamoeba 
histolytica.  Assuming of course, that the spelling above is just an 
error.  :)

Amoebas usually cause diarrhea with lots of severe cramping.  Dystentery 
is the severe form of this.  They can be asymptomatic or only slightly 
symptomatic as well; some people's immune systems manage to keep them in 
check, with fatigue being a side effect.  The dangers of amoebiasis, 
other than dehydration and electrolyte imbalance from diarrhea, is that 
they can travel to other parts of the body and form cysts and inflame the 
tissues.  The most common site for this is the liver, but can include the 
lungs and, rarely, the brain.

People usually pick it up from contaminated food or water.  It's fairly 
common in people who have travelled to the third world, but happens here 
at home in the industrialized nations as well.

The treatment is metronidazole, a common antibiotic, in high doses for at 
least 3 weeks.  If cysts are present or treatment fails, then you need to 
take a second course combined with stronger antiparasitic compounds.

You test for it by giving a stool sample.

---

From: [email-masked] (Joe Gilvary)
Date: 17 Jan 1995 14:43:45 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
>that once the ameobas were gone,  so were the symptoms.

Can you provide some more information on this, please? How did they find
the ameobas (sp?), and how did they remove/destroy them? 

Thanks
-- 
Joe Gilvary                                      My other coputer moves
US Bureau of the Census                          at Warp speed!
Manuf. & Const. Division (If I spoke for the Bureau, I'd speak louder.)
                If you were an electron, you'd be home by now!