Subject: Yerba Santa or Yerba Buena

From: [email-masked] (JWhitmore)
Date: 2 Jan 1995 23:13:36 -0500

My wife is sucessfully taking the above Herbs for Sinus infections. 
However it appears to be  interfering with her Estrogen pills.  Does
anyone out there know  what this  Herb contains or if it contains
Estrogen.
Thanks
JWhitmore

---

From: [email-masked] (Conrad Richter)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 95 07:53:17 EST

> anyone out there know  what this  Herb contains or if it contains

You are probably referring to Eriodictyon californicum.  It pays to try 
to be precise about these things because that name and yerba buena have 
been applied to more than one plant.  For instance, yerba buena is often 
applied to the minty herb Satureja douglasii, a very different plant. 

E. californicum does not contain estrogen.  It contains a resin, 
eriodictyol and a series of derivatives, plus a few other items like 
formic acid, tannin, etc.   I can't see anything here that would explain 
the effect you mention.  

Conrad Richter

RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                 [email-masked]
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests:  [email-masked]
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | What's New for '95:    [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (David)
Date: 3 Jan 1995 15:26:25 -0800

HMMM I have  always refered to speermint as
 yerba buena. Can someone please clarify the mixup and what the common 
name of the other herb mentioned is.

Thanks
Rusty
--
I refuse to disclaim anything!
Anything and everything I say is a product of  everything and everyone I
have ever been  associated with
David (Rusty) Perez ([email-masked])
"If there's no bottom in your eyes, they hold more."
--Hazel Motes

---

From: [email-masked] (Conrad Richter)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 95 21:12:18 EST

> name of the other herb mentioned is.

Yes, in fact, spearmint is yet another plant to which "yerba buena" is 
applied.  That's the problem, the name is used for a variety of plants. 

Conrad Richter