Subject: Diabetes: How to avoid it?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 22:45:16 GMT

Late onset, mild diabetes runs strongly on my father's side.
It tends to appear around 60.
Does anyone know how to maximize my chances of NOT getting it?
I'm 41 -- and hve had a mild tendency toward hypoglycemia
  since early childhood.
Thanks for the help,
Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (Gre1440)
Date: 13 Jan 1995 19:43:08 -0500

I don't know a lot of the details, but I have read articles that said that
research seems to be indicating that a diet high in fat contributes more
to adult-onset diabetes than a diet high in sugar.

--md

---

From: [email-masked] (A. Marina Fournier)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 15:51:32 -0800

> Does anyone know how to maximize my chances of NOT getting it?

Exercise, watch your weight and your sugars.  Deal with stress ASAP, as
that can trigger onset.
I'm using the 1-touch II glucometer.  I had gestational diabetes, and am
following a diabetic diet now.  I'm not able to get the weight off right
now, but that has to follow.  Visit a diabetes instructor, one recommended
or certified by the local Am. Diabetes Assn.  That person will help you
meet your dietary needs, give you lots of info & probably encouragment. 
Mine was a lifesaver for me while I was pregnant, and gets a lot of credit
for the overall health of my son at birth.
Marina

-- 
"Islay...and it's good-bye to care"