Subject: Re: Another Flax Seed Question (taste, hogs..)

From: [email-masked] (Robert Betts)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 94 05:32:06 -0800

Some observations in reference to  Mark Thorson's repeated quoting
>from  The USDA publication _Atlas_of_Meat_Inspection_Pathology_ (USDA,
1972):

    I guess pigs would eat rancid fats ... like humans do. Pigs also
like to rut around in horse manure. I have serious doubts as to the
quality of the stuff being fed to pigs in the above mentioned article.
Incidentally, my goats have been doing much better since I stopped
giving them rancid linseed oil cake from the feed store and started
using left over flax meal from the kitchen.

    We have been using fresh ground flax meal for about 10 years now.
Using this flax and eliminating hydrogenated oils and margarine have
been coincidental with major improvement in a family member with
schizophrenia.

    It is not clear weather or not flax should be cooked. In any event,
it is a very delicate oil and should be eaten as soon as possible after
the seed is broken or cooked.

   As for the taste test, we prefer the ground flax over store bought
flax oil. It goes nicely with cooked morning cereal and can be prepared
in seconds with a little whirly blade coffee mill. As for hydrogenated
oils, and over heated, rancid oils in general, the smell of it turns my
stomach when I go past restaurants. It has a lot to do with the
programming of your 'memory banks'. Changes can take a while, requires
an open mind and courage to resist media peer herding.

   Unfortunately, quality flaxseed is such a cheap source of high quality
essential fatty acids that there is apparently little motivation to do
extensive clinical trials with humans (no patent monopoly motive).

   [email-masked]