Subject: comfrey

From: [email-masked] (Rick Sullivan)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 15:39:32 GMT

I'm a newbie so hope this works:

According to info in my books, comfrey (a.k.a. boneset) was traditionally used 
as a poultice (i.e., applied externally) to help in healing broken bones.  It 
was generally not used internally.  ..... Pat

---

From: [email-masked] (Hilda Marshall)
Date: 28 Dec 1994 16:06:50 GMT

>was generally not used internally.  ..... Pat

Comfrey is a different plant from boneset.

Love, Hilda

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 16:06:35 EST

Wasn't comfrey referred to as "knitbone"?  Which would explain
the confusion with "boneset"...

Alicia

---

From: [email-masked] (broomstick)
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 11:58:14

In article <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> writes:
>Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 16:06:35 EST
>From: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: comfrey

>Alicia

Actually, according to my references, comfrey WAS called "boneset", but there 
is ALSO a different "boneset".  Which could, indeed, cause a lot of confusion.

==============================================================================
			|
>---Broomstick---	| If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains,
			| however improbable, must be the truth
			|				-- S. Holmes
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Willaim H. Bootzin)
Date: 3 Jan 1995 15:55:51 GMT

>Comfrey is a different plant from boneset.

Comfrey has constituents which aid cell proliferation, speeding healing,
and makes an excellent poultice for not only broken bones, but also torn 
or sprained/strained ligaments/muscles, most any cut or moderately minor 
wound, bruises (!), and even helps some aches and pains.  Combined with
yarrow, an incredible anti-septic, anti-infective, comfrey is one of the
staples of my medicine stock.

I've heard mixed opinions about comfrey's internal use, with some saying
that prolonged or excessive internal usage can lead to higher risk of
cancer.  I've long been aware of comfrey's amazing ability to heal ulcers,
but advise folks to check into the carcinogenic possibility.

Btw, the above info on comfrey was on the >leaf<.
Comfrey root is an excellent skin tonic, and is used in many herbal forms
of makeup, shampoos/conditioners, and other body products.  It has
similar properties as the leaf, but in a bit of a different direction,
although I'm not very well-versed on them.

--
dart
[email-masked]

-- 
W.H.T. Bootzin. k.s.c. (a nice guy, really!)  [email-masked]  
"That certain Scottish Play."  "Oh, don't you mean Macbeth?"
          --Black Adder (3) to an actor.
    -x-  Boulder, Co (a nice city near mountains.  You should live there.)