Subject: *************COULD ANY ONE RECOMMEND A GOOD BOOK********

From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 10:11:10

could any one recommend a good book

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo)
Date: 2 Jan 1995 20:35:12 GMT

[email-masked] ([email-masked]) wrote:
: could any one recommend a good book

I assume you're asking for an herbal reference and not for, say, a good 
novel.  :)

I'm not a fan of most herbal books.  I've found that they don't distinguish
between stuff that's been studied scientifically and legend, folklore or
anecdotes.

I strongly recommend _The Honest Herbal_ by Varro Tyler to anyone
who is considering or using herbal medicines.  It is the one herb
book that I have every found that relies solely on scientific studies
instead of folklore *and* which provides references.  Tyler himself
has impressive credentials, being a tenured professor of pharmacognosy
(the branch of pharmacy that deals with herbal medicine) in the
school of pharmacy at Purdue University.  The ISBN # is 1-56024-287-6
and it is published by the Haworth Press, 10 Alice Street, Binghamton
NY 13904-1580.  It is in print, costs about $20 and I got mine through
a regular bookstore which special ordered it for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
           Camilla Cracchiolo, RN   [email-masked]

        Shrine of the Cybernetic Madonna BBS  213-766-1356
        "The Board that Hates Rush Limbaugh With A Passion"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: 2 Jan 1995 19:37:12 -0500

>could any one recommend a good book

With all due immodesty, if you'd like a good book on wild "herbs" that's 
both informative and entertaining, try: "Hedgemaids and Fairy Candles: 
The Lives and Lore of North American Wildflowers," by Jack Sanders, 
TAB/McGraw-Hill, 1993. It's not a herbal, but has lots of lore about 
 uses of plants, their natural history, folkore, etc., and basically helps 
promote an appreciation of wild herbs -- from ordinary weeds to uncommon 
orchids. 

--Jack Sanders, Ridgefield, Conn.

---

From: [email-masked] (Sharon Rust)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 1995 02:01:25 +0000

> >could any one recommend a good book

     " Dorland's Medical Dictonary", "The Merck Index" , any edition to
start with,"Bate's Guide to Physical Examination", " Enclopedia of Herbs
and Herbalism" edited by Malcom Stuart, all of Michael Moore's books ,"
Chicken Soup and more" by the Willen sisters ,"Prescription for
Nutritional Healing" James F. Balch,M.D. &Phyllis A. Balch,C.N.C.,
"Macrobiotic Home Remedies" by Michio Kushi,"Herbal Medications" by David
G. Spoerke,Jr. not a very good herbal but has a good reference section ,
basically read every book about herbs and home remedies in your local
library then inter-library loan other books from the bibliographies. Go to
medical and hospital libraries and read their books. Find a local
herbalist and take classes from them sometimes their experience goes a lot
further than any book can. good luck sharon

---

From: [email-masked] (The Polsons)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 20:53:32 GMT

> In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] ([email-masked])
writes:
> >From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
> >Subject: *************COULD ANY ONE RECOMMEND A GOOD BOOK********
> >Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 10:11:10
> 

The best one I know of is "The Herb Book" by John Lust.

-Willow     ([email-masked])
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sermons are like pie crust; the shorter the better. -Austin O'Malley
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (HealingPgs)
Date: 10 Jan 1995 19:07:31 -0500

A good herbal book, as we tell our customers, is like any health book --
it's what resonates with you & is practical for your lifestyle, needs,
etc. Personally, I'm very fond of "Breath Easy" which focuses on
respiratory problems (my health problem).  
  However, for those that want to separate the folklore from the science,
we recommend Tyler's "Honest Herbal" (discussed elsewhere in this group) &
Simon Mills' "Essential Book of Herbal Medicine."  The later is the
revised edition of the classic "Out of the Earth" by Mills.  It deals with
the chemical constituents of herbs, their effect on human physiology, and
internal/external applications. 

Rosemary Jones
Healing Pages Bookstore, Seattle WA

PS  If you want our herbal book list, we mail it out free.  Just send your
postal address.  We do not release addresses to anyone else.