Subject: Re: herbs to repell fleas from puppy dog...

From: [email-masked] (Leslie Rena Sims)
Date: 10 Jan 1995 19:03:19 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Dana M. Gass <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>For repelling fleas on an animal, try Pennyroyal and Rue.  It
>has helped in many cases I know.
>Bright Blessings,
>Kamala
>-- 

Hi I have some pennyroyal oil.  What dilution do you use to repel fleas?
Or, do you put some of the oil in the pet's shampoo?  Also, is pennyroyal
safe for cats?  Thanks

Leslie
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Hilda Marshall)
Date: 10 Jan 1995 19:37:15 GMT

>Or, do you put some of the oil in the pet's shampoo?  Also, is pennyroyal

As I understand it, pennyroyal leaf is safe for cats, but pennyroyal
*oil* is NOT SAFE FOR CATS.  (Don't know about dogs.)  Love, Hilda

---

From: [email-masked] (J Waldrup)
Date: 13 Jan 1995 09:55:16 -0700

>has helped in many cases I know.

	Just by accident, I read yesterday of another good way to repel 
flees from dogs and cats, though it is not herbal.  Sprinkle their food 
with nutritional yeast.  Besides being very healty for the dog/cat, the 
smell they secrete will be very nasty to flees.
	This comes from Earl Mindels Vitamin Bible.  I can't say that my 
dog has ever had flees, but she does eat nutritional yeast every so 
often.  :)

---

From: [email-masked] (Cheryl)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 22:22:37 GMT

>>has helped in many cases I know.

I'll second the pennyroyal suggestion.  I've put a few drops of 
pennyroyal oil on bed linens, rugs, etc. and the fleas disappeared right 
away.  I think it smells rather pleasant, but the fleas must really hate it!

                                                  -- Cheryl

---

From: [email-masked] (Maria L. Evans)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 02:46:25 GMT

> dog has ever had flees, but she does eat nutritional yeast every so 

I have used the Brewer's Yeast trick for my dogs for many years.  Not only
is it effective, they will eat it happily when sprinkled on their food. 
Beats worming them!  My dogs can extract a worm pill out of a pound of
hamburger if you fed them the whole thing!

Another help is to let them sleep on a cedar shavings-filled dog bed. 
The cedar oil is a natural repellent.

--
Maria L. Evans  [email-masked] 
"Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the gallon."
--Casey Stengel, when asked why he didn't fight with the N.Y. sportswriters

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 23:20:04 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Maria L. Evans) writes:
>> <stuff deleted for brevity ;-)
>

How much Brewer's yeast did you use?  I was giving our two dogs Brewers yeast
(according to the directions) and we were still over run by fleas.  The
instructions were one pill per 10 pounds.  I didn't successfully get rid of
them until I got some pills from the vet.  I am really interested in finding a
natural way that will work for us.  Better for us and the pets.

-Sandy Erickson
[email-masked]