Subject: Re: FTP Site???

From: Michael Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jan 1995 09:04:54 GMT

Subject: FTP Site???
From: s1000006
Date: 11 Jan 95 19:11:10 -0500
In article <[email-masked]> ,
[email-masked] writes:
>Is there an FTP site containing info in herbs?
>
>					OTIS
>

The Southwest School of Botanical Medicine has a site that can be reached
by Anonymous FTP, Gopher and WEB.  I maintain all the teaching manuals we
use on the site, including a Materia Medica, Clinical Repertory,
Herbal-Medical Glossary, a manual of Specific Indications and (as of
today) about 90 JPEGS of medicinal plants, primarily from western North
America; some were taken during field trips, some were meant for my last
book but not used.  Another 160 are due back from .PCD scanning and those
will be added to the site...PhotoShop is LABORIOUS.  The intent of the
site is to offer sensible information and protocols for Green
Herbalists...folks with both brains AND strong backs, who prefer to use
botanical medicines that they can find, gather morally, prepare into
medicines that make the greatest use of the least plant life, and use
with some understanding of the herb, its physiologic and constitutional
effects, and have some reliable information about dosage, frequency,
contraindications and synergies.  
     What we are trying to do is make sure that, with this overwhelming
flood of "Little Drug" marketing that seems to have the herb trade by its
short hairs this decade, there are places to find out about using Milk
Thistle Seeds, not a repackaged European Phytopharmaceutical preparation
of silymarins...places that might offer alternatives to the blind and
thoughtless marketing of herbs, like Golden Seal, ONLY because of the
Recognition Factor, while ignoring the perilous state of the PLANT
(growing in the ground, not delivered in drums by UPS), cruelly
overharvested, usually illegally, from the remnant pockets still found in
public lands in the hardwood forests of the east.   (I guess I'm
soapboxing again...sorry)

Michael Moore
Michael Moore ([email-masked])
(GOPHER and WWW)
gopher://president.oit.unc.edu:70/11/../.pub/academic/medicine/
alternative-healthcare/SW-School of Botanical Medicine 
(ANONYMOUS FTP)
sunsite.unc.edu  /pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/
SW School of Botanical Medicine

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Jan 95 19:11:10 -0500

OTIS