Subject: dosage for queen anne's lace as birth control

From: [email-masked] (Peter Jones)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 95 14:16:53 EDT

I've heard that two teaspoons of queen anne's lace seeds in a glass of 
water after sex is an effective, natural means of birth control.  Since I 
cannot remember exactly where I heard that, I was looking for 
confirmation.  Hearsay is not a good system for self-medication!  If you 
could confirm the correct dosage I would really appreciate this.  If you 
don't know, do you have a favourite and extraordinarily complete herb 
guide where I might find that information?  I have looked in many--even 
reading them in the bookstores--but have not even seen mention of queen 
anne's lace!  

Queen anne's lace sounds like a terrific solution to me for many reasons. 
 The magazine that I read about it in said that it was extremely 
effective AND it's a common and easily harvested plant.  

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

S Jones.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Jan 1995 03:38:37 GMT

>   [email-masked] (Peter Jones) writes:

Queen Anne's Lace (Daucus carota) is listed in the "Peterson Field Guide to
Medicinal Plants". It states that Daucus "seeds a folk 'morning-after' 
contraceptive. Experiments with mice indicate seed extracts may be useful in
preventing implantation of fertilized egg. (Not recommended for such uses,
but scientists should investigate.)"  No dosage was given.

In "Indian Herbalogy of North America" by Alma Hutchens, a longer description
of usage was given. The dosage stated was "Infusion of seeds and/or herb, 1
teasponful to 1 pint of boiling water, steeped 30 min., 3-4 cupfuls daily."

You may be able to find these and other books containing Daucus carota infor-
mation at your public library, respective to the locale where you live.

Good luck,
..Jose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Jose Garcia                         |   The Bee Balm Quarterly
  Logan Street Publishing             |   Medicinal and Culinary Herbs
  email - [email-masked]      |   PO Box 470
  voice - (717)737-5722               |   New Cumberland, PA 17070-0470
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "K. Hanson" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jan 1995 03:07:35 GMT

> Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

  One note, for anyone gathering Queen-Anne's lace in the wild.  
Do not gather from roadsides, and make sure of what you gather.
Water hemlock looks 'a lot' like Queen-Anne.  it is fatal in minute
amounts.  Every couple of years some one dies mistaking it as 
Queen-Anne.  Several boys a few years back died cause they used 
the dried  stalks for straws.  Becareful...
                  Kid Kaos