Subject: Thyroid

From: [email-masked] (Gre1440)
Date: 1 Jan 1995 18:15:41 -0500

Does anyone know if there are any herbs that have any affect on the
thyroid?

Thanks!

--md

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

:)

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Line)
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 08:38:29 GMT

: Does anyone know if there are any herbs that have any affect on the
: thyroid?

	The best source for iodine is SeaSalt which also contains other 
	minerals that you might need. It tastes GREAT!

	Kelp, avilable in tasteless tablets, is another fair source.

	An underactive thyroid can slow one down and cause depression. 
-- 

	The AMAZING TOM LINE!

---

From: [email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo)
Date: 2 Jan 1995 20:59:25 GMT

Tom Line ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : Does anyone know if there are any herbs that have any affect on the
: : thyroid?

: 	The best source for iodine is SeaSalt which also contains other 
: 	minerals that you might need. It tastes GREAT!

You sure that sea salt contains iodine?  I know iodine is *added* to
table salt, which is a cheaper source anyway.

: 	Kelp, avilable in tasteless tablets, is another fair source.

: 	An underactive thyroid can slow one down and cause depression. 

WARNING: thyroid disorders can kill people when not properly treated.  

Only a small proportion of thyroid disorders are due to iodine 
deficiency.  Misinformation about thyroid disorders put out by certain
holistic med types is a pet peeve of mine, since my  darling husband
had had to put up with a fair amount of it over the years.  (Like being
told to soak his feet in a bucket of iodine to 'cure' his hypothyroid.
He's hypothyroid because 3/4 of his thyroid was taken out 20 years
ago because of thryoid cancer).

Not nnly does the blanket admonition to take iodine containing substances
for thyroid problems show gross ignorance, it can actually be harmful to
people with hypothyroidism *not* due to iodine deficiency who take
thyroxin containing substances.  Iodine can interfere with their
absorption.

Thyroid disorders include not only goiter due to iodine deficiency,
but autoimmune hypothyroidism, overactive thyroid, generalized
resistance to thyroid hormones, as well as enlargements due to cancer.
Thyroid disorders can be tricky to diagnose and blood tests to see
what's going on need to be done in order to figure out what's happening.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
           Camilla Cracchiolo, RN   [email-masked]

        Shrine of the Cybernetic Madonna BBS  213-766-1356
        "The Board that Hates Rush Limbaugh With A Passion"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Line)
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 05:08:40 GMT

: : 	The best source for iodine is SeaSalt which also contains other 
: : 	minerals that you might need. It tastes GREAT!

: You sure that sea salt contains iodine?  I know iodine is *added* to
: table salt, which is a cheaper source anyway.

	For somebody who writes like they're smart, you sure are stupid. 
Of course sea salt has iodine in it.  BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA!
-- 

	The AMAZING TOM LINE!

---

From: [email-masked] (Hilda Marshall)
Date: 3 Jan 1995 17:21:39 GMT

[email-masked] (Conrad Richter) writes:

>An a.f.h reader wrote:

>I don't know about other people who visit this group, but this sort of 
>retort saddens me.  I have seen a few disruptive flame wars develop 
>because of comments like these.  

Sometimes, but the best way to "deal" with stuff like this is just
to ignore it.  It's designed to get a rise out of someone, and may
well have been posted from someone else's account as a prank - so
just letting it slide is the best strategy.

Love, Hilda

P.S. I only flame about herbs when I'm incensed.  :-)

---

From: [email-masked] (Conrad Richter)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 95 08:17:41 EST

RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                 [email-masked]
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests:  [email-masked]
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | What's New for '95:    [email-masked]