Subject: Allergies to Herbs?

From: [email-masked] (DBFX1)
Date: 27 Dec 1994 15:48:10 -0500

I have recently begun to research and use herbal remedies with great
success personally, but have been afraid to use them on my daughters (12
and 9) because one daughter has drug allergies (penicillin and sulfa). I
would be interested in hearing if herbs can cause similar reactions; if
so, which ones?? since she is so allergic to drugs, herbal remedies would
be a welcome alternative. I have tried to research this problem, but have
found nothing. Would appreciate receiving e-mail about this question--if I
get responses, I will consolidate and post the information on this board.
Thank you. [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Camilla Cracchiolo)
Date: 27 Dec 1994 21:43:57 GMT

DBFX1 ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have recently begun to research and use herbal remedies with great
: success personally, but have been afraid to use them on my daughters (12
: and 9) because one daughter has drug allergies (penicillin and sulfa). I
: would be interested in hearing if herbs can cause similar reactions; if
: so, which ones?? since she is so allergic to drugs, herbal remedies would
: be a welcome alternative. I have tried to research this problem, but have
: found nothing. Would appreciate receiving e-mail about this question--if I
: get responses, I will consolidate and post the information on this board.
: Thank you. [email-masked]

People can become allergic to herbs like anything else.  In fact, allergies
are probably more common with herbs because the products are not refined, so
there's 1) more stuff to react to and 2) the molecules are fairly large, and
the larger the molecule, the more likely you are to have an allergic 
reaction.

Serious reactions have been reported to herbs in the ragweed family, which
includes chamomile and yarrow.  There is one death on record for allergic
reaction to chamomile.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
           Camilla Cracchiolo, RN   [email-masked]

        Shrine of the Cybernetic Madonna BBS  213-766-1356
        "The Board that Hates Rush Limbaugh With A Passion"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (MarKrom)
Date: 31 Dec 1994 13:59:22 -0500

It is certainly possible to have allergies to herbs.  As to which ones,
who knows, unfortunately, until you get a reaction.  Just like drugs. 
Many people have allergies to pollen, therefore, they should watch herbs
such as feverfew, ragweed, etc. as they would in regular "allergy season".
Any herb from the ragweed family would cause a reaction in a person who
has allergies to these types of plants.

Although a person has allergies to drugs, that is not, in itself, an
indication that one would have problems with herbs.  I have allergies to
Darvon and Demerol but have used herbs for ten years and have had no
reactions other than an occasional "fluttery" stomach if I drink a
particulary noxious tasting tea.  I get around this by making my own
capsules.

Start any new herb you have not used before in small doses and work your
way up to the recommended dose, looking for any adverse reactions along
the way.  Just because they're "natural" doesn't mean they can't harm you
if taken incorrectly or cause reactions.  Always be careful when taking
herbs with any type of medication, as the herb may contain what is in the
drug you are taking and cause an overdose.  Drugs are made from the active
ingredients in herbs, and taking the herb itself could cause problems.

Hope these few items help.

MarKrom

---

From: [email-masked] (broomstick)
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 12:15:25

Speaking as an allergic, I would advise using some caution in anything put 
into a sensitive individual.

About chamomille - there has been much publicity about the unfortunate 
anaphylactic (allergic shock) death on record.  However, allergy to ragweed 
does NOT translate automatically into allergy to chamomille.  I am allergic to 
ragweed but tolerate chamomille quite well, for instance.  I do, however, 
avoid chamomille during the ragweed season just to be safe, and do not in any 
way recommend regular comsumption in an allergic as an allergy is more likely 
to develop with frequently exposure.  Use caution, but don't be terrified.

Beware of people pushing "natural" stuff on your daughters.  I've had many 
people tell me to use honey instead of sugar because it's "natural", but if 
that honey was made from flowers I'm allergic to it can trigger QUITE an 
impressive reaction.  In other words, clover honey is OK, but "wild honey" 
(made from  things like ragweed, for instance) can make me seriously ill.  
Ditto for BEE POLLEN, which hayfever folks SHOULD NOT take.

So, do you herbal remedies, but take any advice (even that in books) with a 
large grain of salt and use common sense.

You daughter with the penicillan/sulfa allergies is more likely to have a 
mold/yeast sensitivity than anything else.  This means Kombucha mushroom tea 
is probably not the best thing for her, as it is fungi-derieved.  Brewer's 
yeast might be a problem - but might not.  Observe dried herbs for signs of 
fungus or mold (rare, if properly stored, but possible).  Other possible 
sources of antibiotics is milk (from antibiotic residues), Milk products 
such as creams and yogurts (same reason), meat (same reason), cheese (same 
reason, and also cheese cultures) and leavened bread (from fungi and yeast).  
Although these low levels may not be making her sick, they COULD be stressing 
her system and making her more likely to become ill.  Organic meat and milk IS 
more expensive, but free of these residues.  She probably doesn't need to 
eliminate bread, but shouldn't consume massive amounts of it.  Beer and wine 
(when she is older) might also be something to avoid due to yeast content.

On the other hand, suddenly eliminating meat/milk/milk products because of the 
expense or unavailability of organic sources isn't a good idea, either.  
Especially, don't eliminate milk without an adequate alternative source of 
calcium!  You may need to strike a balance here - practical considerations 
(money, time, availability) versus the ideal diet.

Garlic, BTW, is an excellent immune-booster (avoid those illnesses!) - eat 
lots.  The little cloves are better than capsules, despite the hype of capsule 
makers, but again, eating mass quantities of garlic cloves may not be 
practical.

Hope this helps.

=============================================================================
			|
>---Broomstick---	| If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains
			| however improbable, must be the truth
			|				-- S. Holmes
=============================================================================