Subject: Herb Garden

From: [email-masked] (William Coleman)
Date: 30 Dec 1994 12:29:22 -0500

Would someone experienced with growing and using their own herbs please
make a list of the different plants that a good herb garden should have.
It would be useful to include the recommended number of each plant to
meet the annual needs of a family of four.  We would like to grow both
culinary and medicinal herbs.  Thanks in advance.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale Woika)
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 03:27:19 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (William Coleman) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (William Coleman)
>Subject: Herb Garden
>Date: 30 Dec 1994 12:29:22 -0500

>culinary and medicinal herbs.  Thanks in advance.

In what part of the world are you going to plant your garden?  & how much 
space do you have?

Dale

---

From: [email-masked] (Duke261)
Date: 2 Jan 1995 19:28:54 -0500

Annuals:  Flat leaf parsley & rosemary. Others (if you have a mild
climate)  these all spread well withing a few years, therefore 1 to 2
plants are sufficient: Thyme, Mint, oregano, chives,& garlic chives.

---

From: [email-masked] (GeorgeannD)
Date: 10 Jan 1995 00:03:47 -0500

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme - lots and lots of thyme.  Plant in
pots to grow inside or out, anywhere in the world.   (parsley is biennial,
replace plants annually for best flavor; others will last forever).  Basil
- easy annual.  How much more space do you have?  These five will meet
most culinary and many medicinal needs - amazing versatility.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Jan 1995 15:17:30 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(GeorgeannD) writes:

>Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme - lots and lots of thyme.

Yes, yes and yes.  I would also add tarragon.  Many uses, many gifts
come from so few plantings!

>- Basil easy annual.

I have attempted basil for nine years now.  No such luck for me. :(
One of my favorites, too.  

As a new person to these postings, I could no longer just sit back
and read.  Hope my two cents worth help!

jrb

---

From: [email-masked] (The Polsons)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 20:58:02 GMT

> One of my favorites, too.  

Basil hates me too, but the slugs and snails don't. Even the starts from
the nursery won't grow in my yard. I just keep trying, though! The perfect
fresh pesto isn't achievable with what you get in the grocery store!

-Willow     ([email-masked])
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sermons are like pie crust; the shorter the better. -Austin O'Malley
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Sullivan)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 12:38:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (The Polsons) writes:
>Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs
>Path: news.ultranet.com!zombie.ncsc.mil!news.duke.edu!agate!darkstar.UCSC.EDU!nic.scruz.net!cruzio!NewsWatcher!user
>From: [email-masked] (The Polsons)
>Subject: Re: Herb Garden
>Organization: Cruzio Community Networking System, Santa Cruz, CA
>Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 20:58:02 GMT
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>X-Nntp-Posting-Host: cruzio98.cruzio.com
>References: <[email-masked]>,<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
>Sender: [email-masked] (The News UID)
>Lines: 16

>-Willow     ([email-masked])

Try planting among other, taller plants, like between your tomatoes or hidden 
in with perennials.  Lots and lots of good composty soil.  Between the light 
shade and the rich soil, the moisture level will stay up, and that should 
(may?) help.  I have found that some of my impressions about herbs (they need 
full sun, not much water, not too rich soil) are often not true.  They can 
survive these conditions, but not thrive.  The biggest surprise I had was 
one spring I left a load of a neighbor's dog s--t under a sage plant as an 
experiment (and out of laziness or grossedoutedness) and the thing doubled 
in size and flowered like magic.  Make sure also that your soil acidity is 
pretty neutral.  Check the rec.gardens newsgroup for snail and slug remedies.

---

From: [email-masked] (A. Marina Fournier)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 15:44:30 -0800

> pretty neutral.  Check the rec.gardens newsgroup for snail and slug remedies. 

Stale, cheap beer in saucers or small dishes (used yogurt containers,
f'rinstance) or the use of plain cheapest-store-brand kitty litter around
the base of things you don't want the snails & slugs to eat.  Pierces they
tiny bodies, as some might say.  I renew the kitty litter at the base of
my fruit trees every spring.

-- 
"Islay...and it's good-bye to care"

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jan 1995 20:00:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Rick Sullivan) writes:
>(may?) help.

Thank you!  I have been trying different locations and thought perhaps it
just did not like its neighbors (as many plants don't do well next to certain
others).  Still at it though, and looking forward to spring!  Will work more
with the compost and acid levels, too.  

>The biggest surprise I had . . . 

One of the biggest surprises I had:  I never knew Sage was perennial. 
(Granted, I was pretty new to gardening of any kind.)  The Spring after one 
very lazy autumn of not pulling up the herb garden brought the most delightful
purple flowers.  Really, I did not know that sage flowered.  (I know, sort of
goofy, but I remember it quite vividly.)  

>Check the rec.gardens newsgroup for snail and slug remedies. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J. R. Bargholz                 |             |  
Marquette University           |    ^. .^    |  
[email-masked]    |   == * ==   |       
ARS: N9VSV                     |      ~      |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stale beer in very shallow dishes.  Really, this works.  (I use old coasters.)