Subject: Alt.folklore.herbs - medicinal herb FAQ (v.1.12) Part 4/4

From: [email-masked] (Henriette Kress)
Date: 20 Jul 1995 15:35:16 GMT

Archive-name: medicinal-herbs/part4
SunSITE-archive-name: medicinal-herbs.faq.part4.v1.12
Posting-Frequency: monthly (on or about 20th)
Last-modified: 1995/07/20
Version: 1.12

==========
==========
5.3 Good Herbprograms for the PC
-----
Go get these and choose for yourself.

-----
"Healing Powers of Herbs" by Klaus Hoferichter, found by ftp at
oak.oakland.edu (or mirrors) in /Simtel/msdos/food:
891879 Mar 15 18:00 herbp21.zip
Graphical DOS interface - mouse essential.

-----
"Herb Power v. 2.0", by Klaus Hoferichter, found by ftp at
oak.oakland.edu (or mirrors) in /Simtel/msdos/food:
795135 Mar 10 18:19 hph2.zip.
Graphical DOS interface - mouse essential.

-----
Demo of the "Herbal Browser", by Marvel C.  Stalcup, found at
aol and compuserve:
demoherb.exe (self-extracting file, size 248436).
DOS - interface, mouse recommended but not essential.
Really jiffy jumping function, easy to browse.

-----
"Herbage for DOS v.1.0", by Tim Johnson, found by ftp at
oak.oakland.edu (or mirrors) in Simtel/msdos/biology:
205081 Feb 25 02:15 herbage1.zip.
DOS - interface, no mouse needed.
Nice 'export text' -function.

----- ADDITION
"Illustrated Medical Herbal Encyclopedia" - demo version, found by
ftp at oak.oakland.edu (or mirrors) in /SimTel/msdos/food
226983 Apr 22 03:05 medherb1.zip
DOS - interface, no mouse needed.

-----
"IBIS" - "Interactive BodyMind Information System", by GAIA Multimedia.
Demoversion found at http://www.teleport.com:80/~ibis.
DOS-interface, mouse required.  Needs 24 MB hard disk space.
Cost (full version) USD 895.

==========
5.4 Good Herbprograms for the Macintosh
-----
"IBIS" - "Interactive BodyMind Information System", by GAIA Multimedia.
Demoversion found at http://www.teleport.com:80/~ibis.
Needs System 6.0.7 or later.  21 MB hard disk space needed for
installation; 2.5 MB RAM on System 6.0.7, 4 MB RAM on System 7.
Cost (full version) USD 895.

==========
5.5 Herbal CD-Rom
-----
"The Herbalist", ver.2.0, by David L.  Hoffmann, CD-Rom database, list
price USD 54.95 (USD 45 now?), just under 50 MB, DOS, Windows, Mac.
Available from Hopkins Technology, 421 Hazel Lane, Hopkins,
MN 55343-7116.  Phone 612-931-9376 or 800-397-9211.
(All gathered from the archives, I don't have this one)

More info found at
  http://www.hoptechno.com/members/pdunn/herbmm.html.

-----
"Traditional Chinese Medicine & Pharmacology"
Hopkins Technology (as above). USD 29.95.

The insert reads "Complete with illustrations, photography, full text
search functionality".

==========
6 Teachings and stuff
-----
This chapter has changed a bit - if you know of any good additions 
please let me know.

==========
6.1 Apprenticeships offered lately
-----
Howie Brounstein, Columbines and Wizardry Herbs, Inc.
<[email-masked]>
You'll find his offer by ftp at SunSITE.unc.edu, as outlined in (7.1)
below, under /pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/herbs/
general, as Herbal-Apprenticeships.1995 and/or Herbalists-
Apprenticeship.
It's also found at the Herbal Hall WWW page (see 7.2 below); there
you'll find notes on the current apprenticeship program.

-----
Michael Moore, Southwest School of Botanical Medicine.
His offer is found by ftp at sunSITE.unc.edu, as outlined in
(7.1) below, under Southwest-School-of-Botanical-Medicine (surprised?)
Look for SWSBM.School_Catalogue_ASCII.

While you're there, get the .jpg -pictures.  And have a good look
around the other goodies that are offered on site.

If you are not a beginner, get the big textfiles - Herbal Materia 
Medica, Herbal Repertory, Herbal/Medical Dictionary, Herbal-Medical 
Contraindications, Specific Indications,  Herbal Tinctures, and 
anything else that might have been added.

These are summaries of how to prepare and use plants you already
know in ways you already know.

==========
6.2 Correspondence courses
----- from David Powner

Details of Correspondence courses in the UK.

As far as I'm aware, there is only the one college that offers proper
qualifications via mail.

The School of Phytotherapy
Bucksteep Manor
Bodle Street Green
Nr. Hailsham BN27 4 RJ
Phone: (0)1323 833812
Fax  : (0)1323 833869

This college does several courses:

Four year full time residential course. This now leads to a BSc 
Honours Degree in Phytotherapy, and one is legally permitted to 
practice as a Medical Herbalist upon qualification, and to apply for 
membership of a professional body such as N.I.M.H.
Current Fees: 3,900.00 per year

-----
Four year correspondence course. Similar to above, with a Diploma in 
Herbal Medicine. Also permits the practising of Herbal Medicine, and 
to apply for professional membership.
Current Fees: 160 sterling per quarter excluding books, seminars, 
exams etc.

There is also a requirement to undertake 500 hours of clinical 
training at about 2.50 sterling per hour - spread over the four years. 
Also yearly seminars at a cost of 140 each (excluding accommodation)

Overseas students can arrange to have their clinical training with an 
approved herbalist in their own country, but the 5 day seminars are 
only held in the UK - one each year, and are obligatory.

This is the course that I'm aiming at taking; it involves 20/30 hrs 
per week studying, but I reckon it's good value for money. Depends 
what you want out of it!

-----
One Year correspondence course: leads to a Certificate of Herbal 
studies, but does not permit the practising of Herbal Medicine. It
is necessary to attend an examination/seminar at the end of the year 
if the certificate is required.
Current Fees: 130 sterling per quarter or 475 if paid in full in 
advance The weekend seminar is 80 sterling (excluding accommodation)

-----
There are other courses for GPs & Osteopaths etc., and Introductory 
and Preliminary courses in Biology & Chemistry. The college has recently 
had degree status granted for their four year residential course, as 
herbal medicine is regaining worldwide acceptance.

David Powner <[email-masked]>

==========
6.3 Other stuff
-----
On alt.folklore.herbs June 95:

OCTOBER 16-27, 1995
CLINICAL STRATEGIES AND HERBAL THERAPEUTICS
  AN ADVANCED SEMINAR IN THE PRACTICE OF
  WESTERN CONSTITUTIONAL HERBAL MEDICINE

The seminar is to be held in Albuquerque, NM, at the Southwest School 
of Botanical Medicine, 122 Tulane SE, Albuquerque, NM, 87106.

The seminar will offer well-defined systems of constitutional 
evaluation, based on organ system energetics, patterns of 
hypothalamic/pituitary stress, and fluid transport energetics, with 
appropriate herb tonics.
The multi-systemic effects of major medicinal plants are discussed, in
order to avoid inadvertant iatrogenesis, and patient intake forms,
questionaires, treatment records and evaluation and formulating work-
sheets are dealt with.

Counseling strategies will be discussed, with evaluation and treatment
strategies for chronic disease, reproductive imbalances, and the 
immuno-compromised disorders emphasized...the central strengths of 
herbal therapy.

Patients will be seen in a group setting, with subsequent disussion
of possible strategies, and a number of case histories will be 
reviewed with student evaluations supplied...and reviewed.

The hours are Monday through Friday both weeks, 1:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.
(with an hour for dinner).  For practitioners with little hands-on
experience in making tinctures, fluidextracts, and dispensing formulas, 
there will be an optional lab session 1:00 to 5:00 P.M. Saturday and 
Sunday as well (no additional charge).  There are 68 hours of classes.

The cost of the seminar is USD 350.  This includes manuals, forms and 
any lab supplies, but does not include housing or meals. The class is 
limited to 22 students.  We will be spending our time teaching and 
explaining stuff, have no interest in setting up hotel accommadations 
or group prices or any of the assorted gimrackery that makes most 
seminars both too expensive and filled with the same class, gender and 
color of folks. We expect to be working with Country Wimmin, O.M.D.s, 
disillusioned R.N.s (cardiology), Naturopaths and anarchist 
wildcrafters.

Those attending need to be either active practitioners in other health
care disciplines, practicing herbalists, or former students of Michael 
or Adam...or all the above.  Knowledge of anatomy and physiology is 
more critical than knowledge of herbs...both are best.  The seminar 
will be a lot of work, a lot of input and output, but the structure 
will be loose, informal, and non-didactic.

We will be in the field and teaching out of the area until July 15, 
1995, and will begin taking registrations at that time.  During that 
time we will also be away from our E-mail address, but will be 
answering our voice-mail periodically (505-255-9215) and will check 
our Compuserve address several times, 73744,[email-masked].

The Southwest School of Botanical Medicine 
122 Tulane SE Albuquerque, NM 87106 
Telephone 505-255-9215 
FAX 505-268-0196 
Internet - [email-masked] 
America-on-Line - MSMoore 
Compuserve - 73744,1621 
CarrierPigeon - Fred17

Michael Moore, Director 
Donna Chesner, Coordinator

==========
7  Check these sites:
-----
Among the goodies you'll find the AFH archives, Michael Moore's files,
and some nice WWW pages.

==========
7.1  Medicinal Herb Archives at sunSITE.unc.edu
-----
If you find sunSITE.unc.edu is too busy to give you anonymous access
you can try the mirror site in Japan, SunSITE.sut.ac.jp, path:
/.mirrors/SunSITE.unc.edu/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare
/herbs/...

For Europeans there is a mirror site in the UK (sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk),
but I haven't been able to find the herbfiles there.

----- by Lawrence London ([email-masked]):

This document (Herb_Archives) is the 4-18-95 update of:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/
  herbs/Herb_Archives
For more information contact [email-masked]
-----
Accessing Herb Archives at sunSITE
-----
World Wide Web (lynx available via telnet for vt100 users)
  URL Info:
  http://sunsite.unc.edu/london/Herb_Archives.html
  ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/
    herbs/
  gopher://sunsite.unc.edu/11/.pub/academic/medicine/alternative-
    healthcare/ herbs/

  ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/agriculture/
    sustainable_agriculture/gardening/
  gopher://sunsite.unc.edu/11/.pub/academic/agriculture/
    sustainable_agriculture/gardening/

Gopher: gopher sunSITE.unc.edu or use URL, then go to these menus:
The Worlds of sunSITE
  browse sunSITE archives
    academic
      medicine
        alternative healthcare
          herbs
The Worlds of sunSITE
  Sustainable Agriculture Information
    gardening
  -or-
  browse sunSITE archives
    academic
      agriculture
        sustainable_agriculture
          gardening

Anonymous FTP:
  ftp sunSITE.unc.edu
  Login: anonymous
  Password: (enter your Internet E-Mail ID)
  cd pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/herbs
  cd pub/academic/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture/gardening

Ftpmail (Send e-mail to [email-masked] for helpfile on
ftpmail usage)

WAIS (also available by telnet; follow login instructions)

-----
Contents of Archives - 4/19/1995
-----

pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/
drwxr-xr-x  2 rmccaleb      512 Mar 14 10:21 Herb-Research-Foundation
drwxr-xr-x 10 london        512 Feb  1 21:57
                                Southwest-School-of-Botanical-Medicine
-----
The Southwest School of Botanical Medicine lists all of Michael
Moore's goodies - see 6.0 above.  
-----
Watch the Herb Research Foundation space - it just might get very
interesting very soon.
-----

pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/herbs/
-rw-r--r--  1 london       7358 Apr 19 12:35 Archive-INDEX
drwxr-xr-x  3 london       1024 Apr 19 11:50 Canadian-Society-for
   -Herbal-Research
-rw-r--r--  1 london       8431 Apr 14 15:28 GUIDE
drwxr-xr-x  2 london        512 Apr 19 12:47 Herb-Research-Foundation
-rw-r--r--  1 london       1971 Apr 19 12:59 Herb_Archives
-rw-r--r--  1 london        358 Apr 19 12:50 INDEX
drwxr-xr-x  6 london        512 Jan  5 07:03 LYSATOR-ftpsite
-rw-r--r--  1 london        118 Jan  4 13:58 README
lrwxrwxrwx  1 london         84 Apr 19 12:42 Southwest-School-of
   -Botanical-Medicine -> /pub/academic/medicine/alternative-
   healthcare/Southwest-School-of-Botanical-Medicine
drwxr-xr-x  5 london        512 Dec 30 21:19 discussion-groups
drwxr-xr-x  3 london        512 Apr  9 21:50 faqs
drwxr-xr-x  2 london       1536 Apr 19 11:33 literature
drwxr-xr-x  2 london       1024 Mar 27 22:57 mail-order
drwxr-xr-x  6 london       1024 Apr 19 12:06 miscellaneous-references
drwxr-xr-x  2 london        512 Apr 19 11:31 net-resources
drwxr-xr-x  2 london        512 Apr  6 00:07 newsletters
lrwxrwxrwx  1 london         59 Apr 19 12:50 sunSITE-General-Herb
   -Information -> /pub/academic/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture
   /gardening
-----
Under discussion-groups/alt.folklore.herbs/ you'll find the archives
for AFH.  Under faqs you'll find this one, one for other uses/
herbgrowing (herb-growing.faq), one for beginning herbfarmers
(herb-farming-guide.faq) and some others.

==========
7.2  Interesting WWW pages

-----
Herbal Hall, Rob Bidleman:
http://www.crl.com/~robbee/herbal.html
Nice surfing.

You can also get there by ftp:
ftp ftp.crl.com /users/ro/robbee/HERB.

-----
Natural Medicine, Complementary Health Care and Alternative Therapies,
hosted by AMR'TA:
http://www.teleport.com:80/~amrta
Nice surfing.

-----
Peter J. Bower's www page on Complementary Practices:
http://galen.med.virginia.edu/~pjb3s/Complementary_Practices.html
Nice surfing.

-----
Algy Krebbs' www page on herbs and gardening:
http://frank.mtsu.edu/~sward/herb.html
Nice surfing. Also featuring this FAQ.   ;)

-----
Agricultural Genome Information Server with WWW page; the address is
right but the site is busy:
http://probe.nalusda.gov/
Start with the How-to and then check the Ethnobotanical and
Phytochemical databases...

-----
Life Extension Foundation page with health related text and pointers:
http://www.webcom.com/~lef/
Nice surfing.

-----
The Acupuncture Page has lots of information on acupuncture, chinese 
herbs etc.:
http://www.Acupuncture.com/Acupuncture/
Very informative.

-----
The Medicinal Herb Garden at the University of Washington in Seattle:
http://www.nnlm.nlm.nih.gov/pnr/uwmhg/
Nice setup with lots of pictures.

-----
Flora of Europe - a photographic herbarium:
http://www.knoware.nl/flora/
The ones I sampled were *.jpg:s; you have to know your latin names
to find your way - but that's a feature...    ;)

-----
More *.jpg:s found at Marco Bleeker's homepage in the Netherlands:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/mbleeker/#botlink
These you can also download by ftp; server address included on the 
WWW -page.

-----
More pictures here:
Nice photo page setup
http://www-wane-leon.scri.fsu.edu/~mikems/

-----
Texas A&M University Department of Biology Herbarium brings you more
pictures at:
http://www.isc.tamu.edu/FLORA/gallery.htm

-----
And LOTS of picture links from this site:
http://130.17.2.215/images.html

-----
This is THE WWW page for the botanically inclined:
http://meena.cc.uregina.ca/~liushus/bio/botany.html 
Have a good supply of snacks by your computer - this one will last a
while.

-----
Pennsylvania State University's PENPages have searchable files;
try <Search using keywords> with 'Herb' and start browsing:
gopher://penpages.psu.edu/

----- ADDITION
A WWW page on skin diseases (Dermatology):
  http://biomed.nus.sg/nsc/nsc.html
Go to Educational Information on Common Skin Diseases.
Not for us hypochondriacs! Photos included.

----- ADDITION
Australian National Botanical Gardens:
  http://155.187.10.12/anbg.html
much info, not many pics.

-----
Phew! Worked up a sweat jumping around the world like that. Missing:
some links to botanical/herbal pages/ pictures in Asia, Africa, and 
South America - please email if you know a good site.

==========
8  Mailing lists

==========
8.1  The Herblist, the Medicinal and Aromatic Plants discussion list
----- CHANGED - NEW ADDRESS!
To post to the list: write an article and send it to:
  [email-masked]
To subscribe: write to [email-masked] with the following 
text:
  SUBscribe HERB <your full name>
If you only wish the digest (to get all posts for the previous day in
one email message) you can add another line
  SET HERB DIGEST

==========
8.2  The Aromatherapy list
----
To post to the list: write an article and send it to:
  [email-masked]
To subscribe: write to [email-masked] with the following text:
  subscribe aromatherapy-l
or, if you want it to another address than the one you're at when
subscribing:
  subscribe aromatherapy-l [email-masked]

==========
8.3  The Holistic list: Holistic Discussion Group
----
To post an article: write an article and send it to:
  [email-masked]
To subscribe: write to [email-masked] with the following text:
  SUBscribe HOLISTIC <your full name>
(report on the herblist: this address works if above doesn't:
  [email-masked])
If you only wish the digest you can add another line:
  SET HOLISTIC DIGEST

==========
8.4  The Kombucha list
-----
To subscribe: write to [email-masked] with the following
text:
  SUBSCRIBE
(If this doesn't work try HELP to the same address.)

==========
8.5  The Paracelsus Mailing list
-----
Subscription is limited to practitioners, educators, researchers and
students in alternative and conventional medical fields.

To subscribe: write to [email-masked] with the following text:
  SUBSCRIBE PARACELSUS
and, as part of the subscription approval process, send a biographical
note indicating training, practice and interests to
[email-masked].

==========
8.6  The OrMed Mailing List - Oriental Medicine Mailing List
-----
To post to the list: write an article and send it to:
  [email-masked]
To subscribe: write to [email-masked] with the following
text:
  SUBSCRIBE emailaddress OrMed
(like SUBSCRIBE [email-masked] OrMed)

==========
8.7  The Homeopathy List
-----
To subscribe: write to [email-masked] with the
following text:
  SUBSCRIBE Homeopathy

==========
8.8  The Phytopharmacognosy List
-----
Open to academics, industrialists and other suitably qualified 
professionals who are involved in plant based natural products.

The list is primarily for experts and as such is not open to the 
general public. The reason for this is that their are a number of 
mailing lists on the internet that deal with natural products which 
are open to the general public already. Also as an expert group we 
will be able to move quickly into levels of 'in depth' discussion 
and not get bogged down with more elementary questions, that other 
mailing groups could answer.

To subscribe:
write a message with only the text
  JOIN Phytopharmacognosy first name(s) Last name
to: [email-masked]
Leave the subject box blank.

==========
9  Related newsgroups
-----
You might want too check
  misc.health.alternative
  rec.gardens
  rec.food.preserving
  bionet.plants
  sci.med.*
  alt.support.cancer.prostate
  alt.support.sinusitis
  alt.support.prostate.prostatitis
  alt.aromatherapy (comes complete with the usual complaint: 'my site
    doesn't carry this one' - well mine doesn't so I can't say what
    they talk about over there)

==========
THE END
==========