Subject: DMSO

From: [email-masked] (Lisa R. Toulouse )
Date: 8 Nov 1995 08:19:23 GMT

Hello all,
 Does anyone have detailed info. on what dmso is and all of it's uses?
I have a knee injury, and am experiencing pain in the ligaments on the
inside of the knee.  Would dmso help this?  How much should I use, and
how often?  Please e-mail me.  [email-masked]   Thanks :)  Lisa
T.

---

From: [email-masked] (First M. Lastname)
Date: 9 Nov 1995 03:17:28 GMT

DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide)  is a reasonably common organic solvent
found in most chemistry and possibly biochemistry labs.  It has an
entry in the "Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and
Carcinogens".  To summarize briefly:

Irritation results from skin contact.  Systemically, it produces
anaesthesia, vomiting, chills, cramps, and lethargy.  Points of attack
include eyes and skin.  Long term effects are not detailed.  

Okay, so DMSO has been used for pharmeceutical reasons before, but
since it is indeed a reasonably nasty very concentrated chemical, not
some biomolecule found in microgram quantities in a natural source like
a plant, i highly recommend avoiding this route to recovery.   I might
add that although the actual dangers of DMSO may not be all that bad,
it is incredibly good at transporting anything dissolved in it directly
through the skin.  This means any trace impurities from its
manufacturing, its storage, or from your house, will also enter your
bloodstream.  

My humble pennies

[email-masked]