Subject: Cracks at corner of Mouth??/

From: Sheri Graber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 01:02:18 -0500

What lack does this show???

I know that some substance is lacking if you get
cracks at the corners of your mouth. (vit-C?)

Anyone know how to get rid of them???

Sheri  [email-masked]   
http://prairie.lakes.com/~roseleaf

---

From: [email-masked] (Callie)
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 95 06:47:37 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,

>cracks at the corners of your mouth. (vit-C?)

Probably one of the B-vitamins.

Callie

[email-masked]      | The Write Page for genre fiction:
http://www.writepage.com  | All the books that are fun to read.

---

From: [email-masked] (!M!ichelleYS)
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 1995 18:20:42 GMT

>http://prairie.lakes.com/~roseleaf

I have found that Bag Balm (you can find it at any old store, I think)
eliminates them quickly for me.  It works great, and quickly, on
anything like that.  It has an antiseptic nature and soothes at the
same time.

!M!

---

From: [email-masked] (John Faherty)
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 1995 10:34:58 GMT

>Probably one of the B-vitamins.

The condition is called  " Cheilosis".

Vitamin B (riboflavin) deficiency can cause Cheilosis (cracking and
fissuring of the lips at the corners of the mouth).

food sources:                         mg

Beef liver, 3 oz   ........           3.52
milk 1cup             ...........       0.54
lean hamburger 3oz...............0.22
spinach 1/2 cup....................0.22

values obtained from    USDA: Composition of foods Handbook No. 8
series.
Just Surfin" the Net and Soakin' Up Cathode Rays!

~:D-<--</waaaahhhhhoooooo!

---

From: [email-masked] (CB Leek)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 1995 15:22:20 GMT

[email-masked] (||{o}||) wrote:

>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Callie) writes:

>That is just one of the manifestations of herpes simplex or cold sores.  Some 
>people get big blisters, some people, like you and my good friend Nancy (as 
>diagnosed by her doctor) get cracks at the corners of the mouth.  

This is a condition called 'angular cheilitis', not to be confused
with herpes simplex.  It looks like cracks, lines, radiating at the
corners, angles, of the mouth.  They are benign, non-infectious,
irritating, and somewhat disfiguring lesions.  Totally annoying at
times.

A.  It very commonly occurs in people who have complete dentures that
are several years old and have lost vertical dimension in their bite,
leading to over-closure.  
	a.  For over-closure problems, obviously the dentist is best
	consulted.
B.  It also quite frequently occurs in people who have all their
teeth, but are intolerant of dry and/or cold weather.  Hopefully the
situation encountered here!  :-)
	b.  Moisturizers will hellp alleviate the dry/cold problem, whatever
	moisturizer works best on you.  Some people do well with simple
	Vaseline!

Proper nutriton is recommended at ALL times, for ALL conditions.
Good Luck!
:-)
--
*** Conserve Energy: Laughter is easier than Anger!
*** [email-masked], Goose Bay, Labrador