Subject: Ma Huang/Ephedra need info

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Oct 95 20:26:31 EST

I am interested in finding out the Good and the Bad things about
the herb Ma Huang. It is also called Ephedra. If anyone has any info
I would appreciate hearing it. 

Carla Foster.I would appreciate it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Psyberdude)
Date: 5 Oct 1995 13:47:59 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...
>Carla Foster.I would appreciate it. 
It's excellent stuff Carla.  I use it all the time.  It stimulates
the hell out of you without the negative side effects of speed type
drugs.  You can get it in pill form from truck stops. It's called
MAX ALERT. There are also other names that it goes by. 
They are packaged as 25 milligram tablets. The active 
ingredient is Ephedrine Hydrochloride.  Take two tabs and you'll do 
fine. Three tabs are a great high. I don't do more than 3 tabs
which is equal to 75 milligrams. If you don't live near a truck 
stop get HIGH TIMES magazine and order from the millions of ads
for Ephedrine.  They are called by many names.  I don't know of 
any negative side effects. The stuff that you can buy in health
food stores will say that their tablets are 25 milligrams but
they are talking about the whole plant and not the pure ephedrine
hydrochloride form, so it's not as good if.you buy from a health
food store unless it says on the label that it's all ephedrine
hydrochloride.  Don't pass this up. You'll love it. Have fun.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jennifer B. Jakiel)
Date: 7 Oct 1995 10:05:23 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

:     I am interested in finding out the Good and the Bad things about
: the herb Ma Huang. It is also called Ephedra. If anyone has any info
: I would appreciate hearing it. 

: Carla Foster.I would appreciate it. 

I adore Ma Huang as a decongestant.  Just a few cups of it during a bad
cold (at 1.5mg ephedrine per cup) is plenty to help keep my sinuses clear.
My husband has trouble with the high dosages of ephedrine in over-the-counter
decongestants, and so I keep Ma Huang tea on hand for both of us when we 
have the sniffles.  

I even did the math.  Eight cups of Ma Huang tea (a full day's dosage) 
contains roughly 12mg of ephedrine.  Two pills of a major OTC decongestant
(again, a full day's dosage) contains 240mg... 20 times the amount.  

Convinced me there was something _very_ wrong with the pharmaceutical
companies...

-jen

---

From: Liz Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Oct 1995 12:23:57 GMT

[email-masked] (Jennifer B. Jakiel) wrote:
<snip>
>(again, a full day's dosage) contains 240mg... 20 times the amount.  
<snip>
>-jen
 Isn't the OTC stuff pseudephedrine, not ephedrine? Maybe this accounts 
for the difference in efficacy and side effects. I also get intolerable 
side effects from the OTCs.
Liz