Subject: Bill C-7 in Canada to Restrict Herbs and Supplements

From: Mark Gold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 16:10:44 -0500

Hi!

A number of people have asked in various forums about what they can 
do to prevent Bill C-7 from becoming law and limiting health freedom 
in Canada.  I have enclosed a couple of short articles below with the 
permission of the authors which will give you more information about 
the bill to restrict health freedom and what you can do about it.  I 
hope this article answers some of your questions as it did for me.

Best regards,
                             - Mark
                          [email-masked]
             http://www.tiac.net/users/mgold/health.html
    (Web articles on Food & Nutrition, Yoga, aspartame/NutraPoison,
   sweetener resources, stevia, toxic carpeting, rBGH, fluoride, MSG
     detoxification, mental health resources.  Much more to come. 
         Lots of links to medical and holistic healing sites.
          Will email articles if you do not have WWW access.

*****************
 BEGIN ENCLOSURE
*****************

[Reprinted with permission from HEALTH NATURALLY August/September 1995
 (705-746-7839 for subscription information) and by permission of Dr. 
 Zoltan P. Rona]

      The C-7 Drug Scam:  Losing Freedom of Choice in Health Care

                   by Zoltan P. Rona, MD, MSc

In previous issues of HEALTH NATURALLY, you have read about the sad 
plight of alternative health care practitioners like Dr. Jozef Drop. 
You have also learned the truth about the purposeful misinformation 
about vitamins published by mainstream medical journals, such as the 
seriously flawed Finnish study on antioxidants. With the advent of 
Canada's Bill C-7 -- which has now passed second reading in 
Parliament -- you will read about what appears to be a scam 
perpetrated by a collusion between the powerful pharmaceutical 
industry, the medical profession and politicians.  The effects of 
Bill C-7 are to:

a) Makes products containing nicotine and alcohol freely available at 
   low prices, while making natural remedies like amino acids, herbs, 
   homeopathic rememdies, and vitamins and minerals either unavailable, 
   illegal or too expensive to afford.

b) Insure that you use only government-approved drugs available only 
   from pharmacies.

c) Make you believe that natural substances like amino acids and 
   herbs are dangerous and unproven -- despite the fact they have been 
   used by some societies for over 5,000 years without incident and have 
   extensive documentation of safety and efficacy.

d) Keep you dependent on the medical/pharmaceutical monopoly for your 
   health care, instead of encouraging and educating you on self-care 
   and self-responsibility using natural methods of prevention and 
   intervention.

e) Create a monopoly in disease care for the medical profession and 
   its master, the pharmaceutical industry, at the expense of natural 
   health care providers like holistic doctors, naturopaths, homeopaths 
   and other non-drug, non-surgical therapists.  (For details and 
   documentation, read the books "The Medical Mafia" by Dr. Guylaine 
   Lanctot and "Racketeering in Medicine" by Dr. James Carter.)

The Health Protection Branch (HPB) and the RCMP already enforce 
heavy-handed rules which prohibit claims, explanations, instructions, 
discussion or advertising of natural supplements.  If a food 
supplement label even implies a claim, these strongmen swoop in and 
confiscate the product from health food store shelves.  A Canadian 
lobby group, Health Awareness Action Program (HAAP) Physicians and 
Scientists for a Healthy World, Inc., claims that such actions mean 
we are losing the right of freedom of speech guaranteed by the 
Canadian Charter of Human Rights (see article on HAAP on page 33).

If Bill C-7 becomes law, Canadians could technically lose legal 
access to common herbs freely available in other countries (e.g., 
U.S.A.) like valerian, ma huang, chamomile, St. John's wort, 
echinacea, green tea, pycnogenol, comfrey, cohosh and at least 50 
others.  

Criminal Use of Herbs
---------------------
Bill C-7 will make it a criminal offence to sell any herbal 
remedy or natural supplement that has "stimulant" or "relaxant" 
properties.  Also, according to the legislation, "Any matter that 
contained a controlled substance would be regarded as being that very 
substance."  A good example of this is chamomile.  This herb is a 
mild sedative and contains the controlled (prescription drug) 
tryptophan.  Nowhere in Bill C-7 does it say this herb is excepted 
>from  this legislation.  Technically, the Health Protection Branch 
(HPB) could seize, remove and illegalized chamomile under Bill C-7.  
Like tryptophan, chamomile could be reclassified as a prescription 
drug and made largely unavaialble to the public.  After all, how many 
licensed doctors would prescribe chamomile?  Although the Canadian 
Helath Food Association (CHFA) denies that C-7 applies to products 
sold by the health food and natural products industry, do not believe 
this for a second.  The wording of the proposed Act along with 
published interpretations from the government's own legal experts 
prove the opposite.

When I first started practising medicine about 18 y ears ago, 
tryptophan was sold as a nutritional supplement at most health food 
stores.  Millions of people used it as an effective natural 
anti-anxiety, antidepressant and anti-insomnia agent without medical 
intervention or supervision.  Tryptophan is an amino acid and a 
natural component of many high protein foods such as cow's milk.  
Before it was reclassified as a prescription drug, a 100 capsule 
bottle of 500 mgs. potency cost about $15.  No side effects of any 
kind were reported until the late 1980s when a contaminated batch of 
tryptophan from Japan was associated with a rare allergic condition 
call eosinophilic myalgia syndrome (EMS).  Coincident with that 
event, drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, which 
mimicked the antidepressant effects of tryptophan, appeared on the 
prescription drug market.  Tryptophan was unceremoniously removed 
>from  health food store shelves to return only on a prescription drug 
basis in pharmacies for $120 a bottle a few years later.  Bill C-7 
makes this tryptophan scenario a read possibility with ginseng, 
licorice root, ginkgo biloba, gotu kola, L-glutamine and dozens of 
others.

Dangerous Drugs Excluded
------------------------
C-7 specifically excludes nicotine, ethyl alcohol and any prescribed 
substance.  If C-7 is designed to protect public health, why is n 
othing being done about the easy availability of tobacco, alcohol and 
prescription drugs?  This deadly trio is responsible for over a 
million deaths each year in North America.  The negative health 
effects of tobacco and alcohol products are well known.  Less 
recognized by the public are the deadly effects of a long list of 
prescription drugs.  For example, unproven cancer chemotherapy drugs 
suppress the bone marrow, immune system and most enzymes systems in 
the body.  NSAIDS (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) cause up to 
25,000 cases of gastrointestinal hemorrhage each year and have been 
proven to accelerate arthritis.  Common "safe" prescription 
tranquilizers can cause both respiratory and cardiac arrest as well 
as irreversible addiction.  Prescription antibiotics can cause 
irreversible nerve, liver and kidney damage as well as 
immunosupression.  Yet, C-7 will do nothing to prevent the growing 
epidemic of prescription drug induced illness, a situation documented 
to cause up to 30 percent of senior citizen hospital admissions in 
Canada.  If this Bill does not have the makings of a scam, I don't 
know what does.

Bill C-7 will not only govern controlled substances but "precursor" 
substances as well.  This part of C-7 could be used to eliminate all 
amino acids from the market.  After all, amino acids are precursors 
to many of the brain's neurotransmitters.  Tryptophan, for example, 
is a precursor to serotonin.  Since aerobic exercise and jogging 
raise the body's own opiates (i.e., "runner's high"), if C-7 becomes 
law, this may be the only legal way left to get pain relief or 
elevate mood without a doctor's prescription.

Tyrosine, carnitine, lysine and several other amino acids are 
"unavailable" or available only by prescription.  Government 
bureaucrafts argue that needy patients can still get tyrosine, 
Essiac, taheebo, laetrile and the Naessens' 714X alternative cancer 
treatment through something called the Emergency Drug Release 
Program.  Busy physicians are unlikely to bother with this sham 
government offering.  To go through all the red tape just to get a 
natural substance that was once readily available to a patient is not 
a simple exercise.  On top of that, it is a costly venture with long 
distance phone charges to Ottawa, inflated "experimental" drug 
prices, communications with suspicious pharmacists, tedious and 
largely meaningless paperwork and other inconveniences designed to 
slow down or inhibit the use of natural substances.  Any "emergency" 
program that takes two weeks or more to get an amino acid therapy to 
a patient at an inflated price is hardly worth the trouble.

To avoid the hassle, my advice is to obtain the amino acids, minerals 
like germanium and herbs like ma huang as well as other "banned" 
substances legally from the U.S. for personal use.  One can easily 
obtain any of these products either by mail order or travelling 
across the border and purchasing them in person.

An End To Insanity
------------------
South of the border, the C-7 insanity was stopped dead in its tracks 
last October with the overwhelming passage into law of the "Dietary 
Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994."  We need to replace C-7 
with a similar law in Canada that separates foods from drugs by 
placing vitamins, minerals, herbs and amino acids into a new category 
called "dietary supplements," which are not defined as drugs.  With 
the U.S. law, companies are allowed to carry claims by a third party 
approved of by a politically appointed commission.  In addition, a 
new Office of Dietary Supplements within the National Institutes of 
Helath was established to work with the Department of Health.

If it can be done in the U.S., it most certainly can be done in 
Canada.  The only way this can happen is if enough people speak out 
and urge their elected representatives to take action against C-7 
before it passes third reading and becomes law.  Send your concerned 
letters (no postage required) and faxes of protest to your Member of 
Parliament, Health Minister Diane Marleau and the Subcommittee for 
Bill C-7 (see page 33 for addresses, fax numbers and further 
information on the protest against C-7). [See end of this post for 
names, addresses, and FAX numbers.]

References
----------
Allain, Jane, Dunsmuir, Mollie & Law and Government Division. "Bill 
  C-7: The Controlled Drugs and Substances Act." Legislative Summary 
  LS-184E. Research Branch, Library of Parliament. Feb. 8, 1994.
Carter, James P. Racketeering In Medicine, The Suppression of 
  Alternatives. Norfolk, Virginia: Hampton Roads Publishing Company, 
  1993.
Lanctot, Guylaine. The Medical Mafia. How to get out of it alive and 
  take back our health and wealth. Coaticook, Quebec: Here's the Key, 
  1995. This book is avaiable in some stores or can be orderded from 
  the HEALTH NATURALLY subscription department ([705-746-7839]).
PR Newswire. "Widely Prescribed Drugs Increase Risk of Heart 
  Attacks." AHA Conference on Cardiovascular Disease and Prevention, 
  San Antonio. March 10, 1995. Contact: Bowman Gray School of Medicine 
  of Wake Forest University, North Carolina; phone (910) 716-4977.
Rooney, Brent. Health Awareness Action Program (HAAP), Physicians and 
  Scientists for a Healthy World, Inc. "Bill C-7 Threatens Your 
  Freedom." March 15, 1995. Contact 171 Abbeyhill Drive, Kanata, Ont. 
  K2L 2E9; fax (613) 831-2523.

Dr. Zoltan Rona is a medical advisor to HEALTH NATURALLY. He received 
his MD degree from McGill University in 1977 and his MSc in 
biochemistry and clinical nutrition from the University of Bridgeport 
in 1985.  Dr. Rona is author of The Joy of Health and has had over 
120 articles published.  He is also a past president of the Canadian 
Holistic Medical Association and runs a busy practice in Toronto.


             Scientists Speak Out for Health Freedom

                       by Mary Fran McQuade

They worked to prevent chemical and biological warfare in the Gulf 
War.  They've spoken out against the rampant use of chemicals in our 
society in herbicides and pesticides, foods and other products. Now, 
they're protesting the potential threat to herbs and nutritional 
supplements posed by Bill C-7, the proposed new Controlled Drugs and 
Substances Act.  This group isn't a bunch of dreamers or dewy-eyed 
tree huggers; they're the Physicians and Scientists for a Healthy 
World (PSHW).  Based in Ottawa, PSHW is a network of medical doctors 
and respected scientific professionals in fields including 
biochemistry, genetics, public health, environmental medicine, 
chiropractic and physiotherapy.

"Our common interest is the relationship between the environment, 
human health and medicine," says Ralph Idema, PSHW president.

Initially, PSHW came together to avert the use of chemical and 
biological weapons in the Gulf War.  Working through contacts in Iraq 
and Jordan, they helped alert people in that area to the risks of 
using these frightening technologies.

Trouble By Bill C-7
-------------------
Closer to home, the group is working to safeguard the environment, 
inform the public and influence government on environment and health 
issues.  In many cases, members act as a resource for organizations 
directly concerned with particular areas -- women's health, for 
example.

They're taking a direct interest in Bill C-7.  "The problem with the 
bill is that the method of including common herbs and food 
supplements is indirect," Ralph says.  "The problem section are 
hidden throughout the bill in little clauses."

That, in turn, means law enforcers will have broad powers to remove 
these products on three grounds:  if they make medical claims, if 
they're stimulants or if they're relaxants.

"We see a real contradiction here.  The government complains about 
the cost of health care, but by trying to prevent preventive 
medicine, they're increasing the cost of health care."

PSHW members are writing government officials such as Helath Minister 
Diane Marleau to express their views.  In addition, the group is 
circulating a petition within the scientific community asking that 
C-7 be completely overhauled and amended to:

* recognized vitamins, herbs, minerals and amino acids under a new 
  category called "dietary supplements";

* allow companies to carry claims for dietary supplements, under 
  certain conditions; and

* establish a new office of dietary supplements within Health Canada 
  to provide the government with informed research and advice on these 
  products.

Plans are to present the petition to Diane Marleau and the 
subcommittee for Bill C-7.  Along with many others, the Physicians 
and Scientists for a Healthy World believe, as their petition states, 
"Preventive health is my responsibility and therefore it must be my 
freedom to choose what I feel is the best wellness program for myself 
and my family without government interference."

Physicians and Scientists for a Healthy World, Inc., can be reach at 
171 Abbeyhill Drive, Kanata, Ont. K2L 2E9, or fax (613) 831-2523.



              Don't Let Thme Make You a CRIMINAL

Despite government reassurances, Bill C-7, the Controlled Drugs and 
Substances Act, is a seriously flawed piece of legislation (see 
article on page 30).  The time to stop it is NOW.  Make your views 
known.  Write a personal letter, or clip and send the statement below 
to:

1.  Your Member of Parliament

2.  Health Minister Diane Marleau
    fax (613) 990-7255 or mail to the House of Commons, Ottawa, Onc.
    K1A 0A6 -- no postage necessary.

3.  The Subcommittee for Bill C-7
    c/o Mr. Bill Farrell
    Public Bills Office
    The House of Commons
    Ottawa, Ont. K1A 0A6
    fax (613) 995-2106


          Re: Bill C-7 and its potential to interfere with
             the free use of natural health products

As an informed consumer, I am concerned with Bill C-7 and its 
potential to interfere with the availability of natural health 
products.  In its current form, the ambiguous and unspecific wording 
of parts of this bill place far too much power in the hands of 
enforcement agencies.  Without clearer statements in the law itself, 
I believe misinterpretations of the legislation are likely to occur, 
resulting in serious damage to the lives, reputations and freedom of 
innocent citizens.

I ask that the bill be amended to CLEARL?Y exclude natural health 
products from its list of controlled substances.  I believe that 
natural herbs and health supplements do not belong in the Criminal 
Code.  These products should be considered as dietary supplements and 
regulated as such.  They are not drugs.  Natural substances comprise 
all such products that are currently legally available, including:

* herbs and medicinal plants
* vitamin and mineral supplements
* amino acids, enzymes and co-enzymes
* homeopathic remedies
* essential oils and flower extracts.

I further request that the government recognize consumer concerns, as 
well as the growing body of scientific knowledge and research in the 
area of natural remedies, by developing new legislation to regulate 
the use of natural health products in Canada.  This legislation must 
and should be developed in consultation with appropriate consumer 
groups and representatives of the natural health community in this 
country.

Signed ___________________________________________

Name _____________________________________________

Address __________________________________________

Phone/fax ________________________________________