Subject: Re: Adult acne

From: Diana Dills <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 14:35:11 -0800

> >: Kathleen M Ford <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
>> I have a similar condition.  I've seen it described in medical
>> circles as "Rosacea," and the article I read noted that it 
required the care of a  dermatologist.  As I would not like to take 
that route, I would like to know if anyone else out there has had any 
experience with rosacea and  possibly knows any treatments, topical or 
otherwise, that Kathy and I can use for this condition?
>> --jen

While Rosacea (and many other problems) can be exacerbated by alcohol, 
the cause is a parasitical infection, and the treatment is a topical
antibiotic.  Untreated Rosacea can lead to permanent fibrous scarring
(The grotesque bulbous nose syndrome)  It is most common in fair-skinned
folks, generally occurs on or around the midline of the face, and 
exposure to sun can aggravate it.

While it is true that a weakened immune system contributes to this 
infection, as well as many others, and that good nutrition can
improve the body's immune responses (no argument there) I would
strongly urge you to get medical treatment for this condition before
you end up with permanent scarring which may require surgery later on.

I don't think you are likely to cure Rosacea with non-medical means--
it responds only to certain, specialized antibiotics, and many non-
prescription treatments used for other skin conditions only make it 
worse.  

Once you have gotten rid of the parasite, you may find that a healthy 
lifestyle can keep you from getting relapses of this, or other such
opportunistic infections.

Diana

---

From: Bob Coulombe <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Nov 1995 04:24:03 GMT

In their book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Dr. James Balch 
M.D. and Phyllis Balch C.N.C. The cause is unknown but often spicy 
foods, hot liquids, alcohol, stress, excessive heat or cold and 
sunlight.

Tetracycline is used to control it along with topical medication applied 
to the inflammation.

They list primrose oil, 2 capsuls 3x's per day.25,000IU daily of Vitamin 
A for three months, dropping to 15,000 IU daily., Vitamin B complex and 
extra B12.  5 Kelp tablets daily.  Vitamin E 400 IU increasing slowly up 
to 800 and a bunch of other things to take pp289, 290.