Subject: Re: breast-milk ??

From: [email-masked] (broomstick)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 19:51:13

In article <[email-masked]> Liz Jones <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: Liz Jones <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: breast-milk ??
>Date: 6 Nov 1995 18:08:25 GMT

>Reason for the CAT scan, Broomstick, is probably to rule out the presence 
>of microprolactinoma, which is a type of brain tumor that sometimes 
>appears in a woman's pituitary gland and causes her to lactate, among 
>other things. It is indeed worth checking out, as it can be treated 
>successfully if discovered. Not chemo, either-- hormone supplements. 
>Easy. Take pills, problem disappears *poof* In this case, it really is 
>not the AMA getting its money grubbing paws on another hapless 
>consumer... it actually makes a lot of sense.
>Liz

OK, ignorance *IS* curable.  Never heard of the whatsis before.  But if she 
doesn't have a "microprolactinoma", what then?  Also, is she spouting gushers 
or is it a little drop now and then?  The post didn't give any sense of the 
*degree* of the problem.  To get just a little personal - does her husband 
provide a great deal of uh, stimulation to her nipples as part of their sex 
life?  Such stimulation could encourage lactation to continue after weaning a 
child.

It sounded to me like the docs had eliminated everything they knew 
("micro-whatsis" aside) and were just fishing for answers or fishing to 
satisfy their own curiosity.  But that sort of question - "What is this 
*for*?" - is exactly the sort of thing you should ALWAYS ask when getting 
tests, drugs, treatments of any sort, etc.

BTW - I'm not keen on the "take pills" and hormone supplements, either.  If 
there is a real need, OK, but I still think too many docs drug first and ask 
questions later.  Exhaust all other alternatives before adopting a lifetime 
regimine of ANY pill or potion,  AMA promoted or otherwise.

===========================================================================
>---Broomstick---	|		My opinion - never humble
===========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Judy Wolfe)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 07:19:13

. i remember very well that back 
>>>home in Ghana there are some herbs which are usually recommended to women 
>>>who loss their kids at birth to stop the production of breastmilk. 
>>>Anybody up here with information of similar herbs which is available 
>>>please share with us.
>>>thanks  

>She might try drinking some tea made from the herb sage.  That is supposed to 
help.

---

From: [email-masked] (Nic Cave-Lynch)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 13:17:28 GMT

>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Seth N Asare) writes:
>>From: [email-masked] (Seth N Asare)
>>Subject: breast-milk ??
>>Date: 31 Oct 1995 16:03:44 GMT

>>My wife continues to produce breast-milk almost 2 yrs after weaning our 
>>last born who is now 27 mths. This problem actually started after weaning 
>>our first born who is now 5 1/3 yrs. Her gynaecologist has run series of 
>>test all these while but has not been able to diagnose what is wrong. as 
>>a last resort she has been booked for a cat scan in 4 mths time. 
>>I strongly believe there are some herbs around to take care of this 
>>instead of going through all these tests. i remember very well that back 

If your wife is producing milk so long after weaning with no nipple 
stimulation, then for some reason she's producing an excess of the hormone 
prolactin and an endocrinologist ought to be investigating. The CAT scan is 
important as excessive hormone production can in *very rare* cases be a 
symptom of something considerably more serious which needs to be checked - 
like a tumour.
There is one other possibility - if her nipples are still being regularly 
stimulated, then milk may be produced. Is she menstruating? Usually excess 
prolactin interferes with menstruation. A naturopath can advise on herbal 
remedies, but get the other stuff checked out properly first.