Subject: evening primrose oil

From: [email-masked] (Sid Prudil)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 16:46:16 GMT

I've noticed at a store that I go to that they are selling evening 
primrose oil in capsules as some type of vitamin.

What is it used for?  Any side effects?

Sid Prudil

-- 

Sid Prudil <[email-masked]> Scarborough, Ontario, Canada

Ahead Warp factor 9 .... Engage!

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Fluri)
Date: 8 Nov 1995 17:30:03 GMT

Sid Prudil wrote on Tue, 7 Nov 1995 16:46:16 GMT:
: I've noticed at a store that I go to that they are selling evening 
: primrose oil in capsules as some type of vitamin.

: What is it used for?  Any side effects?

: Sid Prudil

: -- 

: Sid Prudil <[email-masked]> Scarborough, Ontario, Canada

: Ahead Warp factor 9 .... Engage!

Evening primrose oil is made from the seeds of the plant _Oenothera_
_biennis_.  The oil is particularly rich in gamma-linoleic acid (GLA).  GLA
is one of the so-called essential fatty acids because they are required in
the diet for survival.  A shortage of GLA in the diet often manifests itself
as problems with the skin, connective tissues or membranes.  GLA has
recently become popular as a dietary supplement for those suffering from
eczema.

--
				|
Dave Fluri			|	"Sereno y desprendido, me dejara el
North Bay, Ontario, Canada	|	 aguila, pasar a la libertad."
				|		-Carlos Castaneda
				|

---

From: [email-masked] (Julia K. Larkin)
Date: 9 Nov 1995 03:29:15 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Sid

> What is it used for?  Any side effects?

Evening Primrose and Borage oil have high concentrations of GLA as
explained in the other post. GLA is also a direct precursor to the
anti-immflamatory prostaglandins in your body. In this capacity, it is
used for tendonitis, back pain, menstrual cramps and the like. It is also
good for PMS, but I'm not sure why exactly.

The only side effect that I have noticed is mild diarrhea if I take too
much (like 1000mg of GLA itself) It's like Vitamin C in that way--you
experiment to find the dose your body needs. I use less for maintainance
than when I have just hurt something.

Hope this helps

Julia

---

From: [email-masked] (Karl Hancock)
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 1995 17:10:28 GMT

>Ahead Warp factor 9 .... Engage!

EFAMOL, one of the producers or evening primrose oil, has a brochure
that explains the benefits, according to them (and somewhat benefiting
them).  It is on the net at
http://www.xmission.com:80/~natures/refindex.htm under the Evening
primrose oil category.