Subject: Re: What to do with all my mint?

From: [email-masked] (Nighthunter)
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 1995 10:51:42 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (S.L. Lee) wrote:

> H'dy all, just de-lurking for a quick question:
>         What types of things is spearmint good for? My back yard is 
> overflowing with the stuff. 

Mints of any kind can be used for teas, with or witout the caffeine laden
stuff. Mints are also good for calming upset stomachs. They have a
sedative effect on some people.
spearmint is one of the main ingredients of tabouli, a Mediterranean dish
made of bulgur wheat, lemon juice, spearmint, garlic and olive oil.
Delicious.
I know what you mean about the stuff taking over the yard. I cut and dry
it; just hang it by the stems in the garage for a few weeks, or as I often
do, stack it loosely in laundry baskets and leave it for the winter. Aside
>from  using it medicinally and culinarily, I also grind it in my blender
and sprinkle it on the carpet before vacuuming to fill the house with a
summery scent. I've made sachets with it and given them away to friends.
The dried stems are lovely in campfires on on the barbeque coals after
cooking. And you should be able to find a recipe for mint jelly in a
cookbook somewhere.