Subject: Garlic 2/4

From: [email-masked] (Pete Samsons)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 16:39:38 GMT

ANTIOXIDANT -- Garlic helps prevent the peroxidation of fatty acids and the
formation of other free radical end products.  Free radicals have been
implicated in degenerative diseases, including arteriosclerosis, heart
disease, stroke, liver disease, cancer and aging.

Like other antioxidant substances garlic exerts a protective effect against
toxic heavy metals such as lead, mercury and cadmium by binding with them
and removing them from the body.  Both Russian and Japanese studies
substantiate this.  In one Russian study a preparation made form garlic
extract was given to workers suffering from lead poisoning.  Subsequent
testing showed the preparation secured the desired effect.

One result of heavy metal contamination is the breakdown of red blood
corpuscles.  As a result hemoglobin (an oxygen-bearing iron-containing
protein) is lost to the surrounding blood fluids, damaging the blood's
ability to transport oxygen to the tissues and remove carbon dioxide to the
lungs.  This destruction of the red blood corpuscles is know as hemolysis. 
Two Japanese physician-researchers have shown that garlic prevents
hemolysis.

Antioxidant substances also bolster the immune system.  Garlic is no
exception.  Japanese research has shown that garlic extract boosts the
production of T cells, the policemen of the immune system.  In the U.S. the
American Lung Association found that consuming garlic (and onions) during
the "cold season" accelerates the production of mucus in the stomach and
respiratory tract.  The ALA reports that this extra fluid helps to clear
the breathing passages, relieves existing cold symptoms and increases
resistance to future infections.

For centuries farmers around the globe have warded off colds by putting
garlic cloves in their shoes.  Proof that the garlic is taken into the
system can be found on the breath within several hours.

HEART DISEASE -- There are several factors which make garlic useful in the
prevention and alleviation of heart disease.  One factor is the ability of
garlic to lower blood pressure.  As early as 1948 Dr. F.G. Piotrowsky of
the University of Geneva administered garlic to 100 patients with
abnormally high blood pressure.  Blood pressure was lowered in 40 percent
of the patients.  Piotrowsky attributed this effect to dilation of the
blood vessels.

Garlic has also been shown to help prevent the development of
arteriosclerosis, to lower blood cholesterol and to increase the amounts of
high density lipoproteins (the desirable cholesterol).  Alexander Schauss,
Ph.D., director of the American Institute for Biosocial Research in Tacoma,
WA, has found that even boiled garlic lowers blood cholesterol and lipid
levels in blood.

In addition garlic also has an anticoagulant factor.  Japanese researchers
have identified a particular sulfur compound as being mainly responsible
for this anti-clotting property.  Researchers from the State University of
New York at Albany have shown that the garlic derivative is similar to
aspirin in its ability to keep blood flowing and that it "could be
effective in treatment for those with heart disease."

//////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| \ \____THANK YOU,___________________________________/ / |
|\ \/          e-mail to: [email-masked]          \/ /|
| \/  WWW Site: http://www.nutra.com/browse/petesams/  \/ |
|\/     The Site with information on 145+ Vitamins,     \/|
|/         Minerals, Herbs and Food Supplements.         \|
//////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
              "Natures Miracle is. . . Nature"