Subject: Organic vs Chemical: language vs reality

From: [email-masked] (John E. Verin )
Date: 7 Nov 1995 18:08:47 GMT

A few months ago there was an extensive debate thread called "Organic
vs Chemical."
One idea discussed is that "organic" doesn't necessarily mean
healthy/safe, and "chemical" doesn't necessarily mean toxic/dangerous.
I feel this is true, yet some of you (chemists?) vehemently defended
the word "chemical," scorning so-called naive people for accepting such
limited concepts of each word. Yet, no alternative words were proposed
to facilitate discussion of that which is eco and non-eco-friendly.
Anyway, for conversation's sake, it is easier (and quite the American
habit) to tag general definitions on to words. So, chemical does come
to represent products which are not healthy for the eco-system.

If you need further proof as to why the word "chemical" earns a bad
rap, here are excerpts from and article in the November issue of
Organic Gardening:

	"Chemical giant DowElanco has been fined $732,000 by the EPA for
failing to tell the agency about human health problems caused by the
pesticides it produces, including Dursiban, an widely used insecticide
for the control
 of termites, fleas and many other pests. Even while numerous customers
were suing Dow for injuries caused over a 10 year period, the company
did not report the incidents to the EPA as required by law.
	"...Dow was claiming it was perfectly safe for babies to sit on
Dursban-sprayed carpets!
	"Recent EPA news releases say that consumers a reporting a host
of chronic neurological effects thay attribute to Dursban, including:
'numbness, burning in arms and legs, as well as muscle weakness,
persistant headaches,
 visual disturbances and problems with memory, concentration, confusion
and depression.
	"...avoid ANY exposure to Dursban or other insecticides
containing chlorpyrifos. ...the Journal of Pesticide Reform has just
published a 3-part review of this truly scary chemical, citing hundreds
of scientific sources. 
To obtain a copy, send $3 for the 'Chlorpyrifos Factsheet' to:
Northwest Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides, PO Box 1393m
Eugene, OR 97440"

Just an subscriber quoting OG.

Happy "organic" herbaling,
John