Subject: Re: Poison Ivy.... Preventative?

From: [email-masked] (penny newbury)
Date: 8 Nov 1995 17:13:02 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Joanne MyrickHarris <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Come to Newfoundland for the poison-ivy season...We've no poison ivy, 
> snakes or skunks.   Just spectular scenery, fresh air, icebergs and whales!

I've been there--2 years ago I rode my bike around the perimiter . . .
except of course when I had to hitchhike on fishing boats .  It was July. 
I wore mittens.  I saw icebergs on my summer vacation.  It was the wildest
scenery I'd ever been in.  And for the only month of my life I DID NOT get
poison ivy.  This more than made up for the cold.
Also, people in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are the friendliest folks
I've ever met anywhere.

---

From: [email-masked] (Your Name Here)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 16:52:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (penny newbury) says:
>
>I believe I have the dubious honor of being one of the most
>poison-ivy-sensitive people in the universe, and I have never discovered a
>cure for this plague, but I have done extensive research.  I even
>petitioned the pharmaceutical company to bring back the poison ivy
>vaccination.  The side effects can't be any worse than the rash.  But no
>luck.  Rhus Toxin (6 pills under the tongue twice a day x 3 days) works
>for awhile but you develop an immunity to it (but not to the poison ivy, o
>cruel joke).  Jewel Weed (boil the whole plant) is soothing and helps with
>spreading.  It also gives you something to do with that pesky jewel weed. 
>Tincture of Calendula (after the rash begins) is the most effective
>homeopathic remedy I've found. I use it half strength. The Tecnu stuff
>(before and after) is great if you follow the directions *exactly.*  But
>nothing, I'm afraid, beats a trip to the clinic and a big old shot of
>Prednezone in the butt, or a Medrol Dosepak if you're not in respiratory
>distress.  I usually end up doing everything all in a row, and living for
>another summer.  I defy anyone to tell me why poison ivy (along with
>ticks) was ever created.

Like the man said; "I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours, but I think that god's got a sick sense of humour..."

Conrad.