Subject: Alt.folklore.herbs - medicinal herb FAQ correction on yohimbe

From: [email-masked] (Henriette Kress)
Date: 4 Oct 1995 16:06:16 GMT

Archive-name: medicinal-herbs/part5
Posting-Frequency: monthly (on or about 20th)
Last-modified: 1995/10/04
Version: 1.14

A correction - the yohimbe / MAO inhibitor question is now formally 
put to rest with the following stuff from Michael Moore 
([email-masked]):

The alkaloid yohimbine is NOT an MAO inhibitor. The herb yohimbe IS.

The whole plant is potentially so evil and insidious BECAUSE it's 
complex chemistry contains both adrenergics AND cholinergics...with
effects that substantially mimic both sympathetic adrenergic, sympathetic
cholinergic AND parasympathetic neuroreceptors all at the same time.  It
contains both yohimbine alkaloid groups (stimulating and hypertensive) 
and several potent reserpinoid (Rauwolfia) alkaloids (tranquilizing and
hypotensive)...a warlock's brew.

Consistant use will, because of it's wildly opposite effects, find and
widen metabolic chinks in almost ANYBODY.

==========

...which will be included in the next version of the medicinal herbfaq.
Sorry for misleading you folks. Also posted to alt.drugs because
someone from over there asked about this 1 or 2 months ago.

Henriette