Subject: Pau D'arco

From: Jany Mitges <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 12:31:13 -0500

Does anyone have any information on the benefits/disadvantages of Pau 
D'arco.  Can't seem to find out very much about it.

Thank you.

J.J.

---

From: Bob Coulombe <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Nov 1995 04:37:32 GMT

Pau D" Arco has an antibiotic effect, good for yeast infections, an 
anti-parasite, anti-cancer herb and strengthens immunity.  Use an 
extract form or drink as a tea after boiling 10 minutes. There are many 
people selling it in the US and much info. available here. I could find 
it with more time. Is it possible to mail a book to you if I find one? 
Getting by Canadian censorship, I mean.

---

From: Brad Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Nov 1995 03:13:20 GMT

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          Pau d'arco
                   Parts Used...Inner Bark
                     Antibacterial Agent

Bitter herb that contains a natural antibacterial agent, has
a healing effect and cleanses the blood. Good for candidiasis,
smoker's cough,warts,all types of infection,diabetes,ulcers,
rheumatism,allergies,tumors,AIDS,leukemia,cancer and liver
disease.

Comments: Some patients who no longer respond to pau 
d'arco can drink mathake herb tea. It is a good alternative.
Pau d'arco needs to be boiled. Mathake prepared as a regular
tea. Resistant strains of Candida develope rapidly due to 
genetic mutation.Rotating treatment will be beneficial.

            "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" 
             James Balch,MD and Phyllis Balch,CNC
                          (page 56)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
     "It is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what 
        he believes he already knows." .... Epictetus
                      (c.a.d.55-c.135)
        Brad Bishop ................ [email-masked]
     BeHealthy Shop ......... http://shops.net/BeHealthy
  ONE LIFE Echinacea ~ Proanthocyanidins ~ Dhea ~ Melatonin   
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

---

From: Bob Coulombe <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Nov 1995 04:50:40 GMT

More info from "Prescription for Natural Health" by James Balch, M.D. 
Inner bark is used.  It's an antibacterial agent--Cleanses the blood.  
Good for candidiasis, smoker's cough, warts, all types of infections, 
diabetes, ulcers, rheumatism, allergies, tumors, AIDS, leukemia, cancer 
and liver disease .  Some patients who no longer respond to pau d'arco 
can drink mathake herb tea.  Pau d' needs to be boiled. Mathdrake 
prepared as a regular tea.  Resistant strains of Candida develop rapidly 
due to genetic mutation.  Rotating treatment programs will be 
beneficial.

---

From: [email-masked] (EP RN)
Date: 9 Nov 1995 04:53:41 -0500

<Sid Prudil <[email-masked]> Scarborough, Ontario, Canada>
asked about evening primrose oil

Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis)   Part used:  flower oil.  Effective
form:  capsules.  Therapeutic profile:  a GLA (GammaLinoleic Acid) rich
herb to enhance prostaglandin production.  Primary uses:  as part of a
hormone balancing program to control PMS, post-menopausal problems,
infertility, and many other glandular malfunctions; as part of a program
to overcome serious degenerative diseases such as M.S., and muscular
dystrophy.  Secondary uses:  for skin beauty and health; to help prevent
hangovers and cellular damage from drugs and alcohol.

Ref:  The Herbal Pharmacist, by Rector-Page

Hope this is helpful.

Elizabeth Powell, R.N.

From misc.health.alternative, alt.folklore.herbs Thu Nov  9 22:49:39 EST 1995
Article: 20441 of alt.folklore.herbs
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!gatech2!pirates!cssun.mathcs.emory.edu!pravda.aa.msen.com!news1.best.com!shellx.best.com!whamples.vip.best.com!user
From: [email-masked] (Ling)
Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative,alt.folklore.herbs
Subject: Re: Ginseng and Side effects?
Followup-To: misc.health.alternative,alt.folklore.herbs
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 1995 08:47:16 -0700
Organization: Herb 'N' Myth
Lines: 29
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: misc.health.alternative, alt.folklore.herbs
NNTP-Posting-Host: whamples.vip.best.com
Xref: bigblue.oit.unc.edu misc.health.alternative:51286 alt.folklore.herbs:20441

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Gregory B. Dember) wrote:
[interesting information snipped]
:  neither chinese ginseng nor korean ginseng should be used by people with
:  fever, night sweats, skin rashes, headaches, high blood pressure  or any
:  symptoms that are generally "hot" in nature.  
:  
:  Siberian Ginseng is also a warming, tonifying herb.  It is used in Chinese
:  Medicine to invigorate blood circulation, to reduce swelling and
:  inflammation, and as an immune enhancer.  It should also be used
:  cautiously by people with "heat" signs, such as fever, rash, or night
:  sweats.
:  
:  American Ginseng is also a tonifying herb, but it is cool in nature and so
:  therefore safer to use in cases of "yin deficiency".  It is often used to
:  strengthen elderly people who also suffer from hypertension, and should
:  not use Panax ginseng.
[deletia]
:  Greg Dember, M.S., L.Ac.

***

   Is menopause a "yin deficiency" state?  Would American Ginseng be the
only recommended ginseng for menopausal women?  Would that change after
menopause?
   Thanks for the interesting post.

           With best regards,
                  Ling