Subject: Re: Borage and GLA

From: [email-masked] (Campbell)
Date: 8 Nov 1995 03:23:15 GMT

Ltrudick wrote:

> Rowena Campbell: According to Barry Sears/The Zone, the plasma levels of
> GLA in women suffering from PMS are only about 20% of the norm due to a
> genetic defect in the synthesis of GLA. Taking essential fatty acids have
> helped some, but not all PMS sufferers. Barry believes the problem is
> that you just can't get the right mix of fatty acids just from a pill. He
> claims to have helped women with this problem by combining activated
> essential fatty-acid supplements with a zone-favorable diet. His
> patients, he says, have either licked PMS entirely within 30-60 days or
> have been helped a great deal. GLA supplements include borage and evening
> primrose oil.
>
> Now comes Reiter and Robinson/Melatonin, p. 127. "There is some evidence
> that PMS is associated with low melatonin levels. Studies show that women
> with PMS produce less melatonin than other women, especially in the week
> before menustruation...Dr Sarafina Corsella...recommends a dose of 1 or 2
> mg melatonin taken at night" from midcycle to menustration. This is
> augmented with a natural progesterone cream. Dr Corsella claims
> phenomenal results.
>
> Lee

Thanks, Lee! This sounds very interesting. I wonder whether this balance
thing could have anything to do with the fact that when I have PMT I have
cravings for things like salmon, tabouli, carrot and gherkins and cheese.

I also used to enjoy drinking a carrot/apple/lemon juice concoction
that was really acerbic but made me feel better.

Melatonin is not available in Australia. It is not legal, despite its
discoverer being an Australian.

Incidentally, how would you know if you had the melatonin-related PMS? PMS
has so many symptoms, including (in some women, but not in me)
sleeplessness. Is this a sign of the type of PMS Dr Corsella is talking
about? Or is the benefit of melatonin related to depression? Or ...?

Regards,

Rowena