Subject: CFV: sci.med.midwifery moderated

From: [email-masked] (Michael Handler)
Date: 12 Sep 1995 19:42:07 -0000

FIRST CALL FOR VOTES (of 2)
                  moderated group sci.med.midwifery

Newsgroups line:
sci.med.midwifery	The practice of obstetrics by midwives (Moderated).

Votes must be received by 23:59:59 UTC, 3 Oct 1995.

This vote is being conducted by a neutral third party and a member of the
Usenet Volunteer Votetakers [UVV]. For questions about the vote, the
voting process, or voting mechanics, please contact Michael Handler
<[email-masked]>. If you have any other questions about this
proposal, please contact the proponent for this proposal, Patrick Hublou
<[email-masked]>.

RATIONALE:

The international community of midwives has become very interested in
the use of computers to advance their specialty and establish better
contact with both other professionals and with the people the midwifery
community supports.  The midwife mailing list has become extremely
successful and the subscibers, midwives and others, have expressed
interest in the creation of a newsgroup to continue the discussion of
topics relevant to practicing midwifery. The existing newsgroups
sci.med and misc.kids.pregnancy are not suitable for this purpose due
to high volume posting and limited scope of discussion, respectively.
Futhermore, midwifery covers more than just pregnancy.

Intended topics could be:
..........................

- Prevention of episiotomy and cesarean section
- Prevention of technicalization, medicalization and commercialization
  of pregnancy and birth
- Role and position of midwives and other (professional) birth attendants
  in society
- Ways to prevent and screen for potential complications and pathology
- Education of student midwives and midwives
- Potential use of herbs, drugs and technology during pregnancy, birth
  and post partum
- Filling in of pre natal classes and labor assistance
- Women friendly and women centered care
- Working with abused women in the childbearing year
- Team work among midwives and between midwives and other caregivers
- Books, journals, articles and newsletters related to midwifery
- Post partum care
- Midwifery as part of the health care system
- Ways to support the gentle midwifery model in and outside the hospital
- Legal aspects of midwifery
- The position and potential role of partners and other relatives during
  pregnancy and childbirth
- Aspects of midwifery around the globe
- Educating the public about midwifery, health, self-confidence in the birth
  process, breastfeeding and other aspects of pregnancy, birth and post partum

CHARTER: sci.med.midwifery

sci.med.midwifery will be a moderated discussion group on all aspects
of the practice of obstetrics by midwives. This can include, but is
not limited to case consultation, distribution of new information in
the specialty, discussion of the practice environment and conditions
and on the education and training in diversity of midwives.

The intended participants of this proposed group would be midwives.
All others without commercial aims involved in gentle midwifery
including and not limited to: Birthchild Educators, Labor Supporters,
Childbirth Assistants, Herbalists, Breastfeeding Consultances, Doulas,
and other people with relevant knowledge, skills, questions and
remarks are greatfully welcomed to join.

To make changes to the list of moderators a majority vote of all
moderators is required. Also the participants of Sci.med.midwifery
have to be involved in this proces that is lead by the moderating
team. Sufficient time for discussion within the group must be given
before the change eventually takes effect.

At least half of the team of moderators has to be midwives who reflect
and stand for both great diversity in care provided by midwives and
for great diversity in roads leading to be recognized as a midwife by
the community.

The team of moderators can appoint "associate moderators", who may
help the moderators by reviewing or moderating specific submissions or
specific types of submissions, or "backup moderators" who may step in
if one or more moderators are on leave.

The team of moderators can also appoint "facilitators", who can do
supportive work like maintaining the moderation script, compiling
digests and FAQs, but who are not involved in reviewing or moderating
submissions.

The same rules (required majority vote of the moderators, newsgroup
participation and percentage being midwives) apply for the appointment
or removal of associate or backup moderators and facilitators. All
votes are conducted solely by the full moderators. The total number of
co-operators added to the moderator-team may not exceed 50 p.c. of the
number of moderators.

If there is a general demand, a mailing list may be created probably
using the submission and contact address of the newsgroup. The
moderation software will be used to send approved articles to the
subscribers of the mailing list.

MODERATION INFO:

* Mr. Bernhard Muenzer <[email-masked]>
* Ms. Cheri Van Hoover <[email-masked]>
* Ms. Deirdre E.E.A. Joukes <[email-masked]>
* Ms. Marjorie A. Dacko <[email-masked]>
* Mr. Patrick Hublou <[email-masked]>
* Ms. Sabrina Cuddy <[email-masked]>

Submissions address: [email-masked]
Contact address: [email-masked]

HOW TO VOTE:

One vote counted per person, no more than one per account. Attempts at
ballot box stuffing or vote fraud will not be treated lightly.

**************************************************************************
*** IMPORTANT: Email addresses, names, and votes of all voters will be ***
*** published in the final voting results list. UVV voting is not done ***
*** by secret ballot. If you don't like this policy, don't vote.       ***
**************************************************************************

Send email to: <[email-masked]>. Just replying should work
if you are not reading this on a mailing list.

Your mail message should contain ONE (and only ONE) of the following four
statements:

      I vote YES on sci.med.midwifery
      I vote NO on sci.med.midwifery
      I vote ABSTAIN on sci.med.midwifery
      I CANCEL my vote on sci.med.midwifery

YES signifies a vote for the creation of the newsgroup. NO signifies a
vote against the creation of the newsgroup.

If you vote ABSTAIN, your vote will be registered and will be shown in the
final results posting, but it will not affect the outcome of the vote. If
you CANCEL your vote, all records of your vote will be purged from the
active results file, and your name, address, and vote will not be listed
in the final results posting. ABSTAIN and CANCEL are nearly the same thing
-- the only difference is, with ABSTAIN, your name and address are still
listed in the final listing.

If you later change your mind, you may vote again from the same account.
Only your last valid vote will be registered in the final count.

Anything else may be rejected by the automatic vote counting program.  The
votetaker will respond to your received ballots with a personal
acknowledgement by mail -- if you do not receive one within several days,
try again. It's your responsibility to make sure your vote is registered
correctly.

After the final results are posted to <news.announce.newgroups>, there
will then be a five-day period during which the published vote list may be
corrected and any irregularities addressed.

OFFICIAL SOURCES OF THE CFV

The only official sources of this CFV are:
* The copy which was crossposted to <news.announce.newgroups>
* Any copies which were sent to mailing lists *by* *the* *votetaker*
* One received from the votetaker's automated mailserver

To obtain a copy of the CFV from the votetaker's mailserver, send an email
message to <[email-masked]>. The text of your message does not
matter; this is an automated function. A computer handles this, not a
human.

IMPORTANT: If you give anyone copies of the CFV, the copies must be whole
and unmodified. Distributing pre-filled in ballots or modified copies of
this CFV is considered voting fraud. If this occurs on a large scale, or
causes voting problems or irregularities, the vote may be canceled.

When in doubt, ask the votetaker.

DISTRIBUTION:

This Call For Votes (CFV) has been crossposted to the following newsgroups:

news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, sci.med, misc.kids.pregnancy,
misc.kids, soc.women, sci.med.nursing, alt.folklore.herbs,
alt.support.breastfeeding, misc.health.alternative, misc.kids.health

After this Call For Votes (CFV) appears in <news.announce.newsgroups>, it
will be sent to the following mailing lists:

* Midwife mailing list <[email-masked]>
* Big Moms list <[email-masked]>

-- 
Michael Handler <[email-masked]>  Usenet Volunteer Votetakers (UVV)