Subject: Making Earl Grey Tea

From: [email-masked] (JohnPratt)
Date: 10 Sep 1995 23:21:53 -0400

I noticed that Bergamont is what makes Earl Grey tea special.  I wanted to
see if I could make some but I could only find Bergamont as an oil.  I'd
have prefered to just drop the whole herb into the container with the tea.
 I'm going to try putting it on something (like a low oil cinnomon stick)
and putting that in the container.  

Any other ideas?  My roommate is concerned that the oil might not be safe
to use this way.  I believe it's pure.  Is there any risk?

---

From: [email-masked] (Coeli)
Date: 11 Sep 1995 15:59:09 -0400

I am told the bergamot we have is not the variety used in the tea

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles E. Morris)
Date: 11 Sep 1995 20:47:45 GMT

JohnPratt ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I noticed that Bergamont is what makes Earl Grey tea special.  I wanted to
: see if I could make some but I could only find Bergamont as an oil.  I'd
: have prefered to just drop the whole herb into the container with the tea.
:  I'm going to try putting it on something (like a low oil cinnomon stick)
: and putting that in the container.  

: Any other ideas?  My roommate is concerned that the oil might not be safe
: to use this way.  I believe it's pure.  Is there any risk?

Bergamot is also known as Bee Balm - perhaps for attracting bees (?) I'm 
no expert though.  I do know that Bergamot oil may be harsh on the skin 
(if not diluted in a carrier oil like almond) - 

I wouldn't worry as much about mixing the oil in with loose tea, maybe 
diffusing it or atomizing over the leaves, as I would to take most OTC 
medications - 

my 2 cents

regards,

Chuck

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------
			Tat Tvam Asi
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Adams)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 00:31:39 GMT

-> From: [email-masked] (JohnPratt)
-> Subject: Making Earl Grey Tea
->
-> I noticed that Bergamont is what makes Earl Grey tea special.  I
-> wanted to see if I could make some but I could only find Bergamont
-> as an oil.  I'd have prefered to just drop the whole herb into the
-> container with the tea.
->  I'm going to try putting it on something (like a low oil cinnomon st
-> and putting that in the container.
->
-> Any other ideas?  My roommate is concerned that the oil might not be
-> to use this way.  I believe it's pure.  Is there any risk?
What is wrong with the store bought? The best earl grey are in foil
pouches like stashes. Any pure extract can be dangerous!
...Mark

---

From: Graham Sorenson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 23:35:41 GMT

> (if not diluted in a carrier oil like almond) - 

Nearly all essential oils should be diluted when used on the skin, (To 2% or 5% is the "norm") 
however the main caution with bergamot is not to use it on the skin and then go out into the sun as 
you will get a patchy suntan.

Bergamot 
Relaxes and refreshes. Uplifts the spirit and emotions with its delicious fresh and invigorating 
citrus fragrance. Useful for caring for oily and blemished skin. Lovely light citrus aroma. Use in 
vaporiser to disperse unpleasant odours. Add one drop to cooled boiled water as a mouthwash. It is 
familiar to many as the flavouring in Earl Grey Tea. __Warning__ Do not apply to the skin before 
going out into the sun - It can increase the susceptibility of the skin to severe burning.
 
Extract from my web pages.

Graham

-- 
Watch this Cyberspace.................
Graham Sorenson         Guide to Aromatherapy URL

http://www.pikeperry.co.uk/ppp/fragrant/index.htm

We are not Physical beings having a spiritual experience
But Spiritual beings having a physical experience.