Subject: Re: Prevent swelling/itching - Mosquitos?

From: Roberta K Lipeles <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 1995 10:32:00 -0500

Chew on a couple of moosefoot or plaintain leaves and apply the 
masticated leaf (still wet with your saliva) on the bite.  This works.

Panchita

On 15 
Jul 1995, Edwin Kelly wrote:

>     Is there anything one can put on a Mosquito bite to keep it from 
> itching and keep the swelling down?  Or, make it heal faster ?
> -- 
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | Edwin T Kelly       *      Houston, TX      *      [email-masked] |
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Iannone)
Date: 25 Jul 1995 04:50:41 GMT

In message ID <[email-masked]> on 7/24/95, Janis Lane
wrote:

: I have been getting TERRIBLE spider bites.  The doctor told me that I 
: was having a chemical reaction (arm was burning hot and swollen).  He told
: me the SAME thing..."do NOT scratch".  I stopped scratching and it
: seems that the bites are not swelling but are just turning to
: bruises.  Any suggestions for THIS?
: 
:     Janis

Not scratching doesn't fan the fire, true, but the Heat that was present is
still there. This is a severe Heat-Toxin reaction, which regularly causes
local Blood Stagnation, which can form small fairly-permanent discolored
areas (the itching, btw, is the Wind caused by the Heat 'blowing' in the
skin).

Blood-Moving herbs can be applied, provided they are of Cool or Cold property
(in the initial phase--later on, even warm herbs like Turmeric will work).
Calendula salve is one such herb.

Peppermint tea, applied topically, being an anti-Wind herb, is always helpful
in insect bites (but it won't clear up those dark red blotches once they have
formed. You might also try Golden Seal, commonly available in any health food
store, for the similar purpose of simply Cooling bites, which will reduce the
itching. Calamine is also Cooling, of course).

- sent via an evaluation copy of BulkRate (unregistered).
--