Subject: Re:REQ: Full lyrics to Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme...and stuff

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Aug 1995 02:34:07 GMT

Paul Anacker <[email-masked], [email-masked]> writes:
>[email-masked] (El Bozo) wrote:
>>>On another note, what would you do with the combination of parsley, sage,
>>>rosemary and thyme?
>>
>>It has been suggested that there is an herb <cannibis sativa> that was
>>involved in the lyrics, and that is why the song does not make much sense.
>>It is a nice song though.
>
>Actually, the cannibis sativa was involved BEFORE the lyrics were written
>and THAT'S why they don't make much sense!  {8^)
>
>
Actually its a very old (probably medieval) British folksong. Simon &
Garfunkel did have a habit of reworking traditional songs and claiming the
credit. El Condor Pasa is another example. The original is far better and
quite exuberant. Simon & Garfunkel only used the first section.

Judging from the lyrics, the singer set his lass a series of impossible tasks 
as the price of keeping his love. Presumably that's why she's not his true 
love anymore. Anyway, who expects old folksongs to make sense?

Kevin Jones

---

From: Paul Anacker <[email-masked],[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Aug 1995 10:04:05 GMT

Kevin, There was supposed to be humor in my lines.  Anyway, the
original poster was looking for the lyrics from the old English
folksong.  Do you have them?

PCA

---

From: [email-masked] (smiller)
Date: 13 Aug 1995 19:32:56 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]> writes:

> as the price of keeping his love.

I think he's asking them as the price of regaining his love - "she ONCE
was a true love of mine."  I view it as he's still pining for her,
otherwise why would he be telling his friend going to the fair to see
her and talk to her for him?  She probably dumped him and now it's a
case of sour grapes if you ask me.