Subject: Re: chinese herbs & chinese herbalist

From: [email-masked] (Coeli)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 21:56:37 -0400

Can you recommend books on Chinese medicine?

From [email-masked](Kevin Jones) Mon Aug 14 13:56:09 EDT 1995
Article: 16067 of alt.folklore.herbs
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!news-server.ncren.net!news.duke.edu!hookup!gatech!usenet.eel.ufl.edu!newsfeed.internetmci.com!news.compuserve.com!newsmaster
From: <[email-masked](Kevin Jones)>
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs
Subject: Re: Parsley questions...please help
Date: 11 Aug 1995 22:13:47 GMT
Organization: CompuServe Incorporated
Lines: 21
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: dd13-009.compuserve.com
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-length: 875
X-Newsreader: AIR Mosaic (16-bit) version 1.00.198.07

 [email-masked] (Teara Staples) writes:
>> And the 'easy' question:  what other pronounced effects come of eating 
>> much parsley?

If you eat too much - nasty. Amongst other things, vertigo, fall in blood
pressure, slowing of pulse, deafness and possible nerve damage. The latter 
is due to the presence of triorthocresyl phosphate. In severe cases, 
fatty degeneration of the liver and kidneys. Acute haemolytic anaemia, 
thrombocytopenic purpurea and haemorrhage have also been reported.

The nerve damage has a latent period of 20 days, followed by severe
polyneuritis and symetrical paresis. It initially appears irreparable but
generally diappears after a year or so spontaneously.

Most poisonings are due to the oil. However, one person I know had a 
Parsley sandwich. They experienced the effects on circulation and felt
dreadful.

Kevin Jones

From [email-masked](Kevin Jones) Mon Aug 14 13:56:10 EDT 1995
Article: 16068 of alt.folklore.herbs
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!news-server.ncren.net!news.duke.edu!hookup!news.umbc.edu!haven.umd.edu!darwin.sura.net!spool.mu.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!newsfeed.internetmci.com!news.compuserve.com!newsmaster
From: <[email-masked](Kevin Jones)>
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs
Subject: Re: Wolvesbane and digitalis
Date: 11 Aug 1995 22:22:34 GMT
Organization: CompuServe Incorporated
Lines: 18
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: dd13-009.compuserve.com
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-length: 828
X-Newsreader: AIR Mosaic (16-bit) version 1.00.198.07

 [email-masked] (Paul Iannone) writes:
>In message ID <[email-masked]> on 8/4/95, Laura
>Henshaw wrote:
>
>: I don't know about wolvesbane, but foxglove is digitalis.

Active compound in Wolfsbane is aconitine, an alkaloid. toxic dose is 4 mg.
One leaf will kill about 20-30 people. Aconitine is skin absorbed, taking 
effect in 10-20 minutes. Picking 11 leaves and washing your hands will still 
give you very unpleasant symptoms. These are; numbness at site of
absorbtion, tingling in affected nerves, fall in blood pressure and increase in
heart rate. If the dose is large enough, death due to cardiac paralysis.

Alkaloid content of Foxglove (Digitalis pupurea) vary according to flower
colour and location. The species cultivated commercially is Digitalis lanata.

Kevin Jones

---

From: [email-masked] (William Levis)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 22:13:04 -0700

Coeli ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Can you recommend books on Chinese medicine?

Two good books for laypeople or those with training in western med only 
are: The Web that Has No Weaver (cant think of the author's name this 
second) for general overview of TCM, or for info on prepared formulas try 
"Chinese Herbs in the Western Clinic" by Andrew Gaeddert. If you can't 
find these titles in bookstores, you can get them by mail from Health 
Concerns in California 1-800-233-9355.
-- 

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><   0-O-o-o-O-0   ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><