Subject: Re: Molasses, for iron

From: [email-masked] (Sisterjoe)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 15:59:09 -0400

Greetings --

LPew wrote:

>CRUDE, BLACK STRAP molasses, (not cheap refined molasses in a normal
>grocery store), added to hot water, and drank warm as a tea; provides a
>very
>good source of iron.  It is naturally assimilated into the blodstream.
>About 1 Tblsp. into a cup of hot, high quality water.
>It's been reported that scores of iron-depletion problems have been cured
>with
>this food.
>Find black strap molasses in health food stores.

I've also read that molasses is a great source of iron.  Unfortunately,
IMHO, it tastes rather hellish.  Can you get the same effects from using
it in cooking?  I love molasses in beans (Boston Baked) and different
breads and cookies.  Would it lose some of the iron value with baking?

Peace,

SCJ

---

From: [email-masked] (Callie)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 95 10:37:03 GMT

>breads and cookies.  Would it lose some of the iron value with baking?

You can get all the dietary iron you need by using cast iron pots to stew and 
fry things.  Slightly acid foods, like tomato sauces or yogurt-based sauces, 
extract plenty of iron from the skillet.  We tested it, on an otherwise boring 
Saturday in the lab, and found that spaghetti sauce stewed in an iron skillet 
had several weeks worth of iron MDRs in a serving.

Remember that iron overload can cause fatigue and malaise ... it's not a fun 
thing to overdose on.

Callie