Subject: Re: *** Pain ***

From: [email-masked] (John Badanes)
Date: 4 Nov 1995 18:37:46 GMT

Al Pinsi:
   "Can anyone help with an herb or nutrient that is good for general   
    pain or inflammation?  I am interested in actual experience 
    recommendations, NOT a quote or information from a book."

   John Badanes:
   "Yeah, you wouldn't want to get your information from an actual 
    book on the subject of 'pain and inflammation' written or edited 
    by people who have spent the bulk of their professional life 
    examining these medical phenomena. It would be MUCH more reliable 
    to pop your question to Usenet's MHA readership and leave it up to 
    the random psychoaesthetic whim and judgement of an Alt-enthusiast 
    and their cure-de-jour. Your right...no "quotes or [in particular, 
    no] information from a book." You can't be too careful, after   
    all!"

  Patricia Ziliani:
  >Whatever is wrong with a sufferer of chronic pain asking for a few
  >"real life" experiences? Perhaps he has read heaps of books 
  >already!

What's wrong, Patricia? hehehe. I'm amazed that you consider it 
reasonable to walk-up randomly to strangers in a large city-street and 
ask them advice about a medical complaint you have, especially when 
your query is prefaced with the qualification that any advice offered 
would be discounted if you had not experienced it personally or it 
came from a book related to your condition. Do you imagine that your 
doctor, Alternative or otherwise, has experienced first-hand all the 
disorders they treat? Do you a priori dismiss their 'book-knowledge' 
and professional experience regarding gonorrhea because they never had 
'the clap' themselves? It's _certainly_ better to wander the streets 
of Usenet and ask any of its medically clueless population how THEY 
spell 'Relief' as you naively pretend that their medical history and 
complaint has anything to do with yours. I see your point, Patricia.

JB.

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Kelly)
Date: 6 Nov 1995 23:43:59 GMT

John Badanes ([email-masked]) wrote:
:    Al Pinsi:
:    "Can anyone help with an herb or nutrient that is good for general   
:     pain or inflammation?  I am interested in actual experience 
:     recommendations, NOT a quote or information from a book."

:    John Badanes:
:    "Yeah, you wouldn't want to get your information from an actual 
:     book on the subject of 'pain and inflammation' written or edited 
:     by people who have spent the bulk of their professional life 
:     examining these medical phenomena. It would be MUCH more reliable 

Yeah John, that's what we want!  Someone who has spent a lifetime
"examining phenomina!"  A real lot of identification with suffering
there.  Dr. Mengele "examined phenomina" but I wouldn't want to ask 
someone like *him* to alleviate *my* pain! 

Of course what is frosting your ass is the thought that someone might
get help without feathering your nest.  This is the attitude that
drives people away from "conventional medicine" as they find that
doctors don't give a shit if they bury the patient out back as long
as the insurance company pays the fees on time.  :->

You are obviously part of the problem, not the solution.

Have a nice day. :)

[remainder of JB's haughty blather deleted]

: JB.

ciao

--

Mike

"The institution of any reform is proof positive
 that its circumvention is already in place."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 11:32:53 GMT

>JB.

Medically clueless ? People are more informed today than ever before.
Assembly line medicine has caused them to reach out for information
>from  other sources. Especially women whose problems are so easily
dismissed as hysteria or psychologically induced. I have known women
who died because Librium does not cure cancer but does help mask the
symptoms.