Subject: Food classifications in Chinese medicine

From: Eric Wedemeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Sep 1995 08:57:46 GMT

Anyone,

Has anybody seen or heard of a list of common foods classified under the 
Chinese system of "heating" and "cooling" ('shang huo' and 'xia huo' in 
Mandarin), or any other information on that topic?

Thanks,

Eric

---

From: [email-masked] (HealingPgs)
Date: 13 Sep 1995 15:12:55 -0400

"Healing With Whole Foods" by Paul Pitchford is my favorite book for
integrating nutrition with traditional Chinese models.  Pitchford covers
yin/yang aspects as well as five elements.  He also ties the traditional
Chinese models of food cures into what is known through western
nutritional science.

Regards,
Rosemary, Healing Pages Bookstore, Seattle, WA

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Iannone)
Date: 14 Sep 1995 01:04:36 GMT

In message ID <[email-masked]> on 9/13/95, Lisa Bright wrote:

: >Eric Wedemeyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

: >Has anybody seen or heard of a list of common foods classified under the 
: >Chinese system of "heating" and "cooling" ('shang huo' and 'xia huo' in 
: >Mandarin), or any other information on that topic?

I think you might be slightly confusing two issues here. Cooling (Leng or
Liang) and Heating (Re) are not exactly the same as Raising Fire and Lowering
Fire. As an example, Cinnnamon bark, which is a Hot herb, is a Lowering Fire
herb (it coaxes Yang to return to the right Kidney). In many instances,
however, this distinction is moot.

--Paul  ||  [email-masked]
--