Subject: Garlic Odor

From: [email-masked] (Dick Dawson)
Date: 7 Oct 1995 05:32:11 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
SecreTerri <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help.  My husband has been on this
>garlic kick for several months now and it's becoming intolerable. 
>He eats raw garlic every single day.  The problem is that he is
>starting to reek of an incredible odor.  I told him it doesn't smell
>like garlic, but of some other heavy, foul odor.  He refuses to stop
>taking the garlic saying that the health benefits outweight the odor
>coming from him.  I can't take it any longer!!!  Also, he will not
>take the garlic which is available in tablet form, he insists on the
>real stuff.  Thanks for any advice given.
>
>Terri

I've never heard of a bad body odor attributed to garlic.  But each
individual is different.  You might try an appeal to his logical
curiosity if any: an experiment; discontinue the garlic temporarily
and check the smell.

Check the rest of his diet and health; might be something else
unrelated to the garlic or might be a combination working with the
garlic internally.

If I eat a lot of tahini I get a body odor that I can't smell but
some folk around me tell me it makes me smell like shit.  Literally.
Probably prevents good digestion and the byproducts get into my blood
>from  my gut, then release thru my skin.

An unbearable smell might be grounds for some form of separation.  :(

The only folk I know who eat a lot of garlic either have essentially
no body odor or smell to me better for the garlic.

Most body odors are due to subq bacteria munching on components of
sweat.  There's some aggressive soap that will kill the bacteria; I'm
told it's prescription only.  Check a pharmacist or 2 or 3.

I tried one of those alum stones.  Did a control experiment: rubbed
it in one armpit after all showers per instructions, never the other. 
Did this for a month.  Got someone's nose for a test instrument. 
Yuck - gag - choke.  1 royally stinking armpit, the other very mild. 
Guess which.

Deep 6 for the alum.

Dick
[email-masked]
http://web.syr.edu/~ddawson

---

From: Gary & Jeanne Ross <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Oct 1995 12:45:32 GMT

[email-masked] (Dick Dawson) wrote:
[snipped cry for help regarding body odor due to garlic intake]

>individual is different.

Oh, yeah.  People definately start reeking if they eat a tremendous 
amount of raw garlic.  I sometimes get hit with a wall of odor if I leave 
the bedroom and come back in later!  

Your husband might be over doing it.  Ask him to cut back or take it in 
tablet form and maybe try some peppermint tablets.  Anything!  I can 
relate to what you're saying.  We really only take garlic (raw) when 
neccesary.  Like when we feel a cold coming on.  

Peace, Jeanne