Subject: tobacco tea ?

From: [email-masked] (Pete Akerson)
Date: 13 Sep 1995 22:02:51 GMT

Yep, this might be gross ... somehow the topic
of how people learned to smoke plants came up in
conversation...the topic mutated into how did
people learn to experiment with herbs and teas.
  Then it mutated again, as I wondered if nicotene
people could get the stimulant by drinking tobacco tea.

  Anyone tried ?

---

From: Dennis Selwa <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Sep 1995 00:04:16 GMT

No information here for you....sounds interesting though if only for 
reference.I grow nicotinia Alata (a white variety) and it is wonderfully 
intoxicating (in a good way). Its powerfully fragrant. Probably one of 
the most fragrant in existance.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jacob Galley)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 21:31:17 GMT

>people could get the stimulant by drinking tobacco tea.

Do not try this.  Nicotine, on top of being more addictive than
heroin, is deadly poisonous.  They say that if you soak a cigar in a
glass of water overnight and drink the water, it will kill you (if you
manage to get keep it down long enough to be absorbed).  The reason
you can smoke tobacco leaves is that most of the nicotine is destroyed
by burning before it enters your lungs.

If any recreational drug is evil, it's tobacco.

Jake.

-- 
Reinheitsgebot <-- "Keep your laws off my beer!" <-- [email-masked]

---

From: templeton <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Sep 1995 22:43:33 GMT

On tobacco tea, 

For your own sake please remember that the nicotin in tobacco is, in 
concentration, a deadly poison. Also remember that there are a number of 
pesticides sprayed on commercial tobacco as it is not intended to be 
infused in water and drunk. If you experiement with this, you might 
consider doing it in small quantities and with fresh or organic tobacco 
leaves. 

Me, I will stick to green tea, which at least has no known toxicity. 

-RCF

-- 
Froggit and Froggit Enterprises: Boston, San Fransico, Tel Aviv, Hong 
Kong :
"When it absolutely, positively has to be gone overnight."

---

From: Jim Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Sep 1995 17:32:08 GMT

If you're looking for a tea with a flavor suggestive of tobacco may I
recommend the Jamaique blend from Mariage Freres. According to their
Book of Tea it is an Indian tea flavoured with vanilla and Jamaican
rum. The flavor and aroma remind me of pipe tobacco.

Jim Ward