Subject: Re: stomach ulcer & herbs - mix?

From: [email-masked] (John E. Verin )
Date: 7 Nov 1995 17:26:52 GMT

I make an improve tea made of chamomile, fenugreek and fennel, roughly
2:1:1. Does me well for mild upset stomach. I believe that as a regular
drink it cleans the digestive system well.

Happy herbaling,
John

---

From: Bob Coulombe <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Nov 1995 06:19:20 GMT

Garlic is useful in certain ulcers. Also some reference to Neural 
Therapy which treats interference fields in the body. Check with the  
American Academy of Neural Therapy which probably is in 
santa Fe, NM. for a local practitioner

---

From: Bob Coulombe <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Nov 1995 06:27:41 GMT

Another reference on herbs states" marshmellow, calendula, meadowsweet, 
chamomile, and goldenseal.. The doctor said drinking an infusion made of 
one part chamomile and two parts marshmellow root, one teaspoon three 
times a day. .  He also recommends licorice root or licorice root tea.  
It must be deglycerinated licorice or it will cause high blood pressure 
over the long term.  He says cayenne pepper also heals ulcers .  Another 
doctor says licorice is the best healer.  A half teaspoon of powder 
three times a day.  also bananas, coconut (milk and fruit)  and a herb 
"ashwagandha"  Also be under the care of a physician when treating GI 
disorders.  
Reduce stress is also important. Avoid fats, alcohol, caffeine, asprin. 
Linseed oil on salads , drinking three ounces of concentrated aloe vera 
juice twenty minutes before meals plus supplementation with zinc and 
vitamin A.

---

From: aost@.flemingc.on.ca (Anne Ost)
Date: 9 Nov 1995 03:16:24 GMT

Liz Jones ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have heard ,although not tried, (I have a cast-iron stomach-- at least 
: for ulcers) that cabbage juice is very soothing to an ulcerated stomach 
: and may help heal ulcers. I am sadly cite-less on this one, but you might 
: check into it if you're sufficiently miserable.
: Liz

Liz actually it is fermented cabbage juice that is soothing to an ulcer, 
now that the news is out that most ulcers are caused by a bacteria, Drs 
are now curing ulcers with the use of antibiotics and another old cure.
The reason why is it contains a enzyme that probably kills the bacteria!

-- 
"Through the dark portals of           *  A. Ost
 time it is the exchange of            *  [email-masked]
 ideas, which bring light..."

---

From: Gary & Jeanne Ross <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Nov 1995 03:49:32 GMT

I missed the original post, but the best herb(-derivative) I know of for 
stomach/duodenal ulcers is deglycyrrhizinated liquorice (DGL) extract.  
It coats and heals the ulcers.  I know there have quite a few studies 
where it has gone head to head with H-1 histamine blockers and has been 
shown to work equally or better.  Plain liquorice root can cause problems 
(esp. high BP) so beware.

I believe Enzymatic Therapy has chewable DGL tablets available.

Gary