Subject: Re: Allergy to Rue?

From: [email-masked] (Stacy Peuhkurinen)
Date: 6 Sep 1995 01:11:52 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...

> Some areas are just red and sore, while there 
>are actual burns and blisters as well.  She had to throw the wreath 
>out, worried about furthar problems.  Is this a common reaction?  Is
>it likely that it was the rue?  If it was, does anyone have any 
>suggestions to reduce possible scarring?  (I already suggested aloe
>vera).

Thank you for the responses, I already printed them out and gave them to my 
friend.  While reading them, she did point out one interesting thing, that 
is that her arms hurt a lot more since the incident while out in the sun!  
Here is a synopsis of the responses (I think this is customary?)

----------------------------------
... It was  my experience that yes indeed rue can cause extreme
reactions, like burns, in some people.  Others have no reactions.  Another
common herb used in wreath making is Sweet Annie.  I'm terribly allergic to
this plant when it is dried.  My breathing passages swell -- it's awful!  
Two
other herbs that come to mind that seem to be bad allergins for some people
are english ivy and hops.  Both of these plants seem to cause rashes like 
rue when certain susceptible (sp?) individuals prune them....
----------------
This is not an allergic reaction but is photosensitivity caused by 
furocoumarins, present in all parts of this plant.  These make the skin 
sensitive to UV which then causes sometimes severe burns.  The degree
of severity can be effected by all sorts of things, e.g.
i) the cultural conditions - in hot dry weather the levels of furocoumarins
in the plant are much higher
ii) the degree of exposure to the plant, and then the exposure of the skin 
to sunlight
iii) individual sensitivity

Such chemicals are also found widely in members of the carrot family 
(Umbelliferae or Apiaceae), a notorious plant (in the UK at least) being 
Giant Hogweed, _Heracleum mantegazzianum_.  Even Celery, _Apium graveolens_ 
var. _dulce_ can give problems from high levels of exposure found in 
agricultural pickers etc.

I can't advise on treatment, but I do know that the affected areas can 
remain sensitive for a long time (months or even years in severe cases), so 
it's only wise to keep covered up...
------------------
 I have not heard of this type of reaction to woodruff, although all 
people are different and she could be allergic.  However, if it was 
rue, shame on the instructor for not advising people.  Woodruff is 
deep, dark green and smells like hay, grows on long, thin stems in 
whorls.  Rue, on the other hand, is bluish-green, with small, dainty 
clusters of petal-like leaves.

Many people havr reaction to rue, which can range from itching to 
extreme hives. It may cause contact dermatitis. This is all due to the 
volatile oils in the plant.

I would try vitamin E oil to help healing.
----------------------
Rue can cause problems for some people.
A number of years ago in weeding my herb garden I was having to reach 
over rue.  I ended up having very bad "burns" on and under my arm.
Discovered shortly afterwards that it was rue.
I do not recall exactly what I treated my arm with but I had no scars.
I still grow rue in my garden, but it is in the back of the bed and I 
am very careful weeding around it.

Aloe Vera should be very good for the burn....

----------------------
Again, thanks for the promptness with helping me!  Much appreciated!
--Stacy