Subject: Re: Intestinal problems related to stress

From: [email-masked] (ThumperFox)
Date: 4 Sep 1995 21:04:54 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Nsite)
writes:

>Yes, it's that time of year again.  Class resumes, stress ensues,  and I 
>cannot control the production of stomach gas.  In class, my stomach does 
>flip-flops (gurgles, rumbles, etc.).  Is there anyone with any knowledge
of 
>how I might control this with herbs (or anything else for that matter)?
>
>

I  have had lots of success with Pepcid AC..a formerly prescription drug
that reduces the amount of acid produced in the stomach...I am not sure if
it would help you (I was taking it to counteract the side effects of
another prescription med), but I feel a lot better.  The herbs which are
generally recommended for stomach problems are peppermint tea (even
candies can help), and lots of the herbs used in the kitchen...sage for
one, and I think anise and fennel seeds are supposed to help.  My father
taught school for 15 years, and he constantly popped peppermint candies to
minimize stomach upset...the sugar gave his stomach something to process,
and the peppermint helped it settle.  You might also try to drink a
non-caffeinated carbonated beverage like sprite, sevenup, or ginger ale to
help settle your stomach.  The bubbles seem to help, and if there really
is any ginger in ginger ale, that would help too.

Thumper

---

From: cyli <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Sep 1995 10:38:34 GMT

[email-masked] (Nsite) wrote:
> flip-flops (gurgles, rumbles, etc.).  Is there anyone with any knowledge of 

Tagamet has just been released for over the counter sales  (it used
to be a prescription drug). I had it prescribed for a while for
gall bladder problems and found it useful.  Even to giving some 
control over bowel problems.

---

From: Maggie Houston <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Sep 1995 18:25:43 GMT

You're lucky as there are lots of friendly green people to help you.  There are 
mints, chamomile, fennel seed and catnip to name a few.  If you don't want 
to fall asleep in class my personal suggestion would be any mint mixed with 
fennel seed.  Boil water, Crush the fennel seed and tear up the mint.  Pour 
water that has cooled just a little over the mix add honey if you'd like and 
drink the tea hot or cold.  Take it to class and sip if allowed.  Take Chamomile 
and catnip as stumach calming sedatives.  These herbs are in my personal 
medicine chest and I use them alot with my schedule.  They have never let 
me down but you have to have them on hand in order for them to work.  
Best Wishes in Good Health, Magge

---

From: "John G. Webb" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Sep 1995 03:37:20 GMT

>is any ginger in ginger ale, that would help too.
Try Kombucha, read up on all the material, decide if you want to try it.
I can tell you without reservation it resolves serious digestive 
problems.

Regards,

John