Subject: Re: allergy to soy

From: [email-masked] (Callie)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 95 17:30:38 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
   [email-masked] (Jackie Christopherson) wrote:

>       My daughter has an allergy to "soy".  Her reaction is such that 
>       she has to carry a shot with her at all times to fight off the 
>       effects of passing out. Has anyone in this group ever experienced 
>       such a thing?  Doctors have no answers or solutions for this 
>       situation, which doesn't at all surprise me. 
>
>       Thoughts on this would be appreciated. 

Jackie - 
  I've been allergic to soy flour and certain other soy products for years, 
although it merely causes severe pain.  Oddly, tofu is OK, which indicates
it is a water-soluble part of the plant that bothers me.
  Soybeans, despite their nutrition value, are just another food, and 
are the subject of food allergies - like shellfish, strawberries, OJ,
or peanuts ... etc.
  You'll have to read labels like a hawk!!  Many baked goods contain soy 
flour because of its ability to hold moisture - it keeps the bread soft 
and allows them to tout "no preservatives".  Other foods contain it because
of its adhesive qualities (the stuff is glue!) help hold things together.
  Soy lecithin, "textured vegetable protein", unspecified lecithins ... 
view them with suspicion.  Soybean oil is probably OK ... allergens are 
usually proteins.

Callie

[email-masked]      | The Write Page for genre fiction:
http://www.writepage.com  | All the books that are fun to read.