Subject: Re: Muscle Relaxers, please

From: [email-masked] (sherree moore )
Date: 4 Oct 1995 03:32:18 GMT

In <[email-masked]> 
[email-masked] (David A. Gallagher) writes: 

>
>For about 3 months now I have had moderate to very sharp pains in my 
left
>hip, which appears to be causing nerve entrapment, and causing 
radiating
>pain and numbness down the left leg into the ball of the foot (similar 
to
>sciatica). I have cut out physical activities that stress the area, 
such as
>my 2 mile run on Sundays, and heavy leg/lower back weight lifting. I 
have
>also undergone neuromuscular therapy sessions, and they agree it 
appears to
>be muscular related versus spinal/disc related. However, they cannont
>release the main trigger points in the hip area after some very 
painful,
>deep tissue sessions. I have now aggravated my mid back area, which I
>believe is related to the above.
>
>The suggestion is to use a muscle relaxer (prescription), but I really
>don't want to due to its systemic effects. But they purpose seems 
valid:
>release the spasmed muscles so that they can begin to relax and heal. 
>
>I would like to try some herbal-based solutions before going the
>prescription route. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanx in advance,
>David
>
>[email-masked]
>

David, Hi. I believe your best bet for a herbal muscle relaxant is 
skullcap. Many herbs can have a "whole body" relaxing effect, however to 
directly relax skeletal muscle is more challenging with herbs. (I 
welcome correction if I'm wrong). You might also try alfalfa (seed or 
leaf), celery seed, burdock, chaparral and licorice. These help to 
reduce the inflammation in muscles/joints. An inflammed joint can cause 
some serious muscle spasm cycles, therefore by reducing the 
inflammation, you may be able to control the muscle spasms. Another 2 
cents of my advice is to take walks. Not marathons, but leisurely 
strolls. This too can loosen the spasms. Good luck. I've been just where 
you are and it hurts!

Sherree