Subject: Re: Urinary Tract Infections

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Bidinotto)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 23:36:11 GMT

>NNTP-Posting-Host: newsbf02.mail.aol.com

>Hi, I am new to the newsgroup.  I have recurrent urinary tract infections.
>Last year one got so bad I had to go the hosptial for a kidney infection.
>Well I feel another u.t.i. is on it's way and I do not want to take
>antibiotics. What do you suggest?

UTI Sufferer,

Some of the suggestions in the other postings are right on the button.
1) Drink lots of water 8-10 glasses/day
2) Drink at least 4 oz. of cranberry juice per day to prevent infections in 
the future.
3) Urinate after sexual intercourse
4) Wipe front to back
5) try lactobacillus acidofilus, a good bacteria that competes with the bad 
microbes and will help prevent future infections as well as yeast infections 
caused by antibiotic use.
6) If you have an active infection I suggest taking the antibiotic to cure 
this one, because if it ascends to the kidneys it can get in the blood stream 
and cause sepsis.
7) If this is a continual problem you want to use the preventative steps above 
and may have to go on prophylactic therapy of macrodantin 50 mg daily or post 
coitus.  Or even bactrim DS daily.
8) use cotton underwear if possible
9) make sure you get a urinalysis before taking antibiotics, because there are 
other disorders which have exact symptoms of UTI's but are not infectious.

If I can think of any other suggestions I will post them.  I wish you the best 
and hope you are feeling better.  The cranberry juice is key because I helped 
do the research that proved it prevents infections.  It works by making it 
harder for the bacteria to cling to the inside of your urethra so they have a 
tough time establishing a zone of infection.

andy B.

---

From: [email-masked] (Renee Mercier)
Date: 28 Jan 1996 01:11:13 GMT

: UTI Sufferer,

: Some of the suggestions in the other postings are right on the button.
: 1) Drink lots of water 8-10 glasses/day
: 2) Drink at least 4 oz. of cranberry juice per day to prevent infections in 
: the future.
: 3) Urinate after sexual intercourse
: 4) Wipe front to back
: 5) try lactobacillus acidofilus, a good bacteria that competes with the bad 
: microbes and will help prevent future infections as well as yeast infections 
: caused by antibiotic use.
: 6) If you have an active infection I suggest taking the antibiotic to cure 
: this one, because if it ascends to the kidneys it can get in the blood stream 
: and cause sepsis.
: 7) If this is a continual problem you want to use the preventative steps above 
: and may have to go on prophylactic therapy of macrodantin 50 mg daily or post 
: coitus.  Or even bactrim DS daily.
: 8) use cotton underwear if possible
: 9) make sure you get a urinalysis before taking antibiotics, because there are 
: other disorders which have exact symptoms of UTI's but are not infectious.

These are all excellent suggestions.  The use of antibiotics is
sometimes necessary for a persistant acute infection.  However, I
believe chronic use of antibiotics should be avoided if at all possible.

Nettle is a mild tonic herb, that if used consistantly for at least 6
weeks can help to tone the kidneys.  Try making a nettle infusion (steep
the leaves (2 handfuls/1 oz) in 1 pint (500 ml) boiling water for 4
hours, then strain, you can use an clean pasta sauce jar)  Drink 2 cups a day for 6
weeks. 

Remember to drink plenty of fluids. Also, you may want to avoid coffee for
awhile, it can be irritating.

	good luck,
				Renee