Subject: Re: Poison Ivy..Relief

From: [email-masked] (Merry Powell)
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 05:00:00 GMT

-=> [email-masked] delivered this monologue to Re: Poison Ivy.... Preven on 10-0
-95  06:06  <=-

 Cy> From: cyli <[email-masked]>
 Cy> Subject: Re: Poison Ivy.... Preventative?
 Cy> 
 Cy> dusty wrote:
 >
 > Some friends of mine are suffering massive poison Ivy reactions after 
 > clearing some land... 
 > In addition to any helpful soothing substances you could recommend, I 
 > wonder if anyone knows of an oil or salve that they can use the next time 
 > they clear land, to try and prevent another reaction.
 Cy> 
 Cy> Wear covering clothing in poison ivy areas. Long pants, long sleeves,
 Cy> gloves, etc.. Don't touch bare skin with anything that might have 
 Cy> touched poison ivy (e.g. Don't wipe sweat off your face with your
 Cy> gloved hand...).  Remove the clothing carefully afterward and wash it
 Cy> with care. Have a good shower in case you did get some on you. 
 Cy> 
 Cy> I've heard that if you do* get some, scratching doesn't actually 
 Cy> spread it. It just manifests first in the place most heavily touched
 Cy> by the ivy's oils.  Nearby places were more lightly touched or are
 Cy> less sensitive, so show later. Strong scratching, however, cannot be
 Cy> good for the skin so some herbal onitments or commercial itch prepar-
 Cy> ations would be adviseable. 
 Cy> 
 Cy> Burning poison ivy can spread the volatile oils into the air,
 Cy> generally misting anything downwind, so be careful of that,too.  As
 Cy> well as petting house pets that may have romped through any during
 Cy> their  travels in the woods.
 Cy> 
 Cy> I used to be immune to the stuff.  But had read that immunity can 
 Cy> vanish unpredictably, so tried to stay wary. Not wary enough, I guess.
 Cy> Finally got some during a heated game of splattball (not enough time
 Cy> to look where you're diving sometimes.) and I can assure you that
 Cy> immunity can vanish suddenly.

I empathize for your friend when I suffer from any form of allergic reaction
I use a smoothing bath. I am allergic to mosquito's and itch like crazy.
Prepare a bath to which you add 1 c apple cider vinegar, the juice of two
lemons, 10 drops of lavender essential oil and 5 drops of thyme essential oil.
I hope this relieves some of the itching for your friend.

... "Milhouse, we live in the age of cooties!"  - Bart Simpson
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12