Subject: Re: What is Fleabane?

From: [email-masked] (Dave Fluri)
Date: 26 Jan 1996 16:04:04 GMT

David George Gordon wrote on Thu, 25 Jan 1996 16:48:54 -0800:
: What is fleabane\/  Does it actually work on fleas?  How is it (or has it
: been) used?  What part of the plant?  Whatever you can share will be
: greatly appreciated.

: David George Gordon

Fleabanes are plants of the sunflower family (Compositae).  The most common
fleabane in my area is Daisy Fleabane, _Erigeron_ _annuus_, although the
Common Fleabane, _E._ _philadelphicus_, is another nearly ubiquitous
species.  They are said to deter fleas.  Historically, the plants were
gathered in full bloom and lain in flea-infested areas, such as a dog's bed. 
The plants would dry naturally over the winter.  My guess, though, is that
the fleabane to use for this purpose would be the Salt-Marsh Fleabane,
_Pluchea_ _pupurascens_.  This plant is found only in the Atlantic coastal
areas of the U.S., so it is much harder to come by than the other specimens. 
It does have a decidedly strong smell, though, which is slightly reminiscent
of camphor.  I've not tried it, not being a pet owner, but I can see from
its scent how it would probably be quite effective.  The other two species
have very little scent.

--
				|
Dave Fluri			|	"Sereno y desprendido, me dejara
North Bay, Ontario, Canada	|	 el aguila, pasar a la libertad."
				|		-Carlos Castaneda
				|

---

From: [email-masked](Anna Boyer )
Date: 28 Jan 1996 18:40:13 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked]
(David George Gordon) writes: 
>
>What is fleabane\/  Does it actually work on fleas?  How is it (or has
it
>been) used?  What part of the plant?  Whatever you can share will be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>David George Gordon

    I am sorry to say that I have no personal experience with fleabane.
But if  your problem is fleas, I know many other remedies.  For a flea
collar  use pennyroyal... soak a thick string in a decoction of
pennyroyal and tie around pets neck.  They also strongly dislike
feverfew, which works well as a repellent.  Mint, sassafras and
pennyroyal around  the house will keep them away.  I am sure that
fleabane is used in a similar way.
    Fleas also will not bite pets that have a high level of vitamin b-1
in their blood,  and brewers yeast is the perfect thing for that. 
Sprinkle less than a teaspoon in your dog or cats food dish regularly. 
Vinegar also helps when added to water dish.  
    But remember live fleas not on a pet will probably bite YOU!  It
might be a good idea to put a sprig of feverfew in your sock.