Subject: Re: Fluroidated water

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 10:35:54 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Timothy D. Shoppa) wrote:

> [Ms. Franfrench has mangled the attributions, but the following
> line was interjected by me, [email-masked] - Tim.]
...
> We've yet to see any of your data, research, facts, or intelligent
> thoughts, Ms. Franfrench.
...
> First of all, you've produced no evidence, or any references to
> any evidence, which demonstrates that fluoridation is unsafe.
> Nevertheless, following my .sig is a list of articles in refereed medical
> journals that deal with the safety of fluroidation and find
> no evidence of negative effects.
> 
> If you've got a point, please make it.  We've seen nothing but
> hot air from you so far, Ms. Fransfrench.

A few more items of interest...

(1) Check these WWW sites for a wealth of well-documented articles:     
        http://www.santarosa.edu/~dmontgom/fluoride.htm
        http://emporium.turnpike.net/P/PDHA/health.htm

(2) More references:

1. Smith G., "Attack on a health officer," North Hill News (Calgary, AB:June
11, 1970); Hilleman B., "Fluoridation: Contention won t go away," Chemical &
Engineering News, 66 (Aug/88); Colquhoun J., "Flawed Foundation: a
Re-examination Of The Scientific Basis For A Dental Benefit From
Fluoridation," Community Health Studies, XIV:3 (1990), 288-296; Colquhoun J.
and Mann R. (University of Auckland, NZ), The Hastings Fluoridation
Experiment - Science or Swindle?... The Ecologist, 1986 16:6 and 1987
17:2/3, updated and presented to the 56th Congress of the Australian and NZ
Assn. for the Advancement of Science at Massey University, Palmerston North,
NZ. (Jan./87); Waldbott G., "Fluoridation The Great Dilemma," (Coronado
Press, Kansas: 1978); Diesendorf M., "Fluoridation: Time for a
Reassessment," New Doctor, 52 (Summer 1990: quoting-- Sutton P.R.N.,
"Fluoridation: errors and omissions in experimental trials," 2nd ed.,
Melbourne University Press, 1960); Moolenburgh H., "Fluoride The Freedom
Fight," (Mainstream Publishing, Edinburgh, Great Britain: 1987), 11-208;
Yiamouyiannis J., "Fluoride the Aging Factor," 3rd edition, Health Action
Press, (Delaware, Ohio: 1993), 1-292.

2. Damkaer D.M., and Dey D.B., "Evidence for Fluoride Effects on Salmon
Passage at John Day Dam, Columbia River, 1982-1986," North American Journal
of Fisheries Management, 9 (1989), 154- 162.

3. Spittle B., "Allergy and Hypersensitivity To Fluoride," Fluoride (the
International Society for Fluoride Research), 26:4 (October 1993), 267-273
(this is a review of all the available literature).

4. Burt B.A. (School of Public Health, U. of Michigan), "The Case For
Eliminating The Use Of Dietary Fluoride Supplements Among Young Children"
(Abstract), Presented at a Conference, Am. Den. Assn. (January 31, 1994).

5. Simard P.L., et al., "Ingestion of Flouride [sic] from Dentrifices by
Children Aged 12 to 24 Months," Clinical Pediatrics, 30:11 (November 1991),
614-617.

6. Clark C., "Trends in prevalence of dental fluorosis in North America,"
Community Dental Oral Epidemiology 22 (1994), 148- 152.

7. Chelbna-Sokol D., and Czerwinsk E., "Bone Structure Assessment On
Radiographs Of Distal Radial Metaphysis In Children With Dental Fluorosis,"
Fluoride, 26:1 (January, 1993), 37-44.

8. Crimmins Jerry, "Fluoride blamed in [kidney] dialysis deaths," Chicago
Tribune, (July 31, 1993), Section 1.

9. Gessner B.D., et al., "Acute Fluoride Poisoning From a Public Water
System," New England Journal of Medicine, 330:2 (January, 1994), 95-99. The
article also mentions several other acute fluoride-poisoning accidents and
fatalities.

10. Jacqmin-Gadda, H., et al., "Fluorine Concentration in Drinking Water and
Fractures In the Elderly," Journal of the American Medical Association
(Jama), 273:10 (letters), March, 8, 1995, pp 775-776.

11. Lancaster C., "Spill snarls traffic, lives," The Orlando Sentinel,
September 7, 1994, p. A-1.

12. Lewis, D.W., et al., "Investigation of Inorganic Fluoride And Its Effect
On The Occurrence Of Dental Caries And Dental Fluorosis In Canada," (final
report for contract #3726), Health Canada, Health Protection Branch, Bureau
of Chemical Hazards, Monitoring and Criteria Division (July, 1994).

13. Excluding newspaper article, all references in #1; Diesendorf M., "The
mystery of declining tooth decay," Nature, 322 (July 10, 1986), 125-129;
Colquhoun J., "Child Dental Health Differences in New Zealand," Community
Health Studies, XI:2 (1987), 85-90; Colquhoun J., "Influence of social class
and fluoridation on child dental health," Community Dental Oral
Epidemiology, 13 (1985), 37-41; Sutton, R.N., "Fluoridation: A
Fifty-Year-Old Accepted but Unconfirmed Hypothesis," Medical Hypotheses, 27
(1988), 153- 156; Diesendorf M., "Anglesey Fluoridation Trials Re-Examined,"
Fluoride, 22:2 (April, 1989), 53-58; etc.; see also reference numbers below:
24, 27, 57, 60, 63.

14. Sogaard C.H., et al., "Marked Decrease in Trabecular Bone Quality After
Five Years of Sodium Fluoride Therapy-- Assessed by Biomechanical Testing of
Iliac Crest Bone Biopsies in Osteoporotic Patients," Bone, 15:4 (July/Aug.,
1994), 393-399.

15. Turner C.H., et al., "The Effects Of Fluoridated Water On Bone
Strength," J. Orthopaedic Research, 10 (1992), 581-587; see also: Mosekilde
L., et al., "Compressive Strength, Ash Weight, And Volume Of Vertebral
Trabecular Bone In Experimental Fluorosis In Pigs," Calcified Tissue
International, 40 (1987), 318-322.

16. Riggs., et al., "Clinical Trial of Fluoride Therapy In Postmenopausal
Osteoporotic Women: Extended Observations And Additional Analysis," Journal
Bone Mineral Research, 9:2 (1994), 265-275.

17. Paul Recer, AP, "Brittle-boned nation told: Eat lots more calcium," News
Tribune, (Tacoma: June 9/94).

18. Freni Stan C., "Exposure To High Fluoride Concentrations In Drinking
Water Is Associated With Decreased Birth Rates," Journal of Toxicology and
Environmental Health, 42 (1994), 109- 121.

19. Narayana M.V., and Chinoy N.J., "Effect of Fluoride on Rat Testicular
Steroidogenesis," Fluoride, 27:1 (January, 1994), 7-12; see also: Susheela
AK., and Kumar A., "A Study Of The Effect Of High Concentrations Of Fluoride
On The Reproductive Organs Of Male Rabbits, Using Light And Scanning
Electron Microscopy," Fluoride, 26:2 (1993) p. 148, abstracted from J. of
Reproduction and Fertility, 92 (1991); Chinoy N.J., and Narayana M.V., "In
Vitro, Fluoride Toxicity in Human Spermatozoa," Fluoride (International
Society for Fluoride Research), 27:4 (October, 1994),231-232, abstracted
>from  Reproductive Toxicology, 8:2 (1994).

20. Teotio S.P.S., and Teotia M., "Dental Caries: A Disorder of High
Fluoride And Low Dietary Calcium Interactions (30 years of Personal
Research)," Fluoride, 27:2 (April, 1994), 59-66. Study supported by funds
>from  the Government of India and the International Development Research
Centre, Canada.

21. Elaine Porterfield, "Hazards lurk in toothpaste tube," News Tribune
(Tacoma: April 5, 1994).

22. Pak CY., et al., "Slow-Release Sodium Fluoride in the Management of
Postmenopausal Osteoporosis," Annals of Internal Medicine, 120:8 (April,
1994), 625-690.

23. Robb J., "Lead levels in Thurmont water drop," The Frederick Post,
(Maryland: Feb. 3, 1994). Note: fluoridation was consequently banned by city
Commissioners. Fluoride, being corrosive, increases lead-leaching from
pipes.

24. Burt B.A., op cit.

25. Jones T., Steelink C., and Sierka J., "An Analysis of the Causes of
Tooth Decay in Children In Tucson, Arizona," Fluoride, 27:4 (October, 1994),
p. 238; abstracted from a paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the
American Association for the Advancement of Science, San Franciso USA,
February, 22, 1994.

26. Steelink C., "Fluoridation controversy," Letters, Chemical and
Engineering News, (July 27, 1992), p. 2.

27. "Middletown water safe again, High fluoride levels prompted warning,"
The Frederick Post, (November 18, 1993).

28. Ziegelbecker R., and Ziegelbecker R.C., "WHO Data on Dental Caries and
Natural Water Fluoride Levels," Fluoride, 26:4 (October, 1993), 263-266.

29. Riordan P.J., "Perceptions of Dental Fluorosis", Journal of Dental
Research, 72:9 (September, 1993), 1268-1274.

30. Government of Canada, (Environment Canada and Health Canada), Priority
Substances List Assessment Report, "Inorganic Fluorides," ISBN
0-662-21070-9, (1993), 1-72.

31. Subcommittee, National Research Council, "Health Effects of Ingested
Fluoride," National Academy of Sciences (National Academy Press; Washington,
DC: August, 1993), 1-166.

32. Hirzy W., president-elect, National Federation of Federal Employees,
Local #2050, Press-release, August 18, 1993.

33. Varner J.A., et al., "Chronic AlF3 Administration: II. Selected
Histological Observations," Neuroscience Research Communications, 13:2
(Accepted July 28, 1993), 99-104; and, Chase M., Rat Studies Link Brain Cell
Damage With Aluminum and Fluoride in Water, Wall Street Journal, October 28,
1992.

34. Crimmins J., op cit.

35. Sterling G., "Kelly seeks FDA ban on fluoride supplement," The Star
Ledger, June 4, 1993 (Trenton, NJ).

36. Helmi Bonds, "Dentist claim over fluoride," The Independent, May 18,
1993 (Australia).

37. Clark C., "Appropriate Use of Fluorides In the 1990s," J. Canadian Dent.
Assn., 59:3 (March, 1993), 272-279.

38. Chelba-Sokol D, and Czerwinski E., op cit., 37-44.

39. Zeiger E., et al. (Experimental Carcinogenesis and Mutagenesis Branch,
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences), "Genetic Toxicity of
Fluoride," Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis, 21 (1993), 309-318.

40. Myrick C.R. (Water Quality Coordinator, Tacoma Public Utilities), Dec.
2, 1992 letter to M. Heath.

41. Gibson S., "Effects of fluoride on immune system function,"
Complimentary Med. Res., 6:3 (Oct., 1992), 111-113.

42. Li R., et al., "Fluoride in Drinking Water and Intracardiac Blood Flow
Defects in Iowa," American Journal of Epidemiology, 136 (October, 1992), p
1030.

43. Griffiths J., "Fluoride: Commie Plot or Capitalist Ploy," Covert Action,
42 (Fall, 1992), 26-30 and 63-66.

44. Danielson C., et al. "Hip Fractures and Fluoridation in Utah's Elderly
Population," Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), 268:6
(August, 1992), 746-748.

45. Colquhoun John, "Correlation And Cause: An Issue In The Epidemiology Of
Fluorosis," presented to the Trace Elements Conference, Massey University,
Palmerston North, NZ (August, 1992). Dr. Colquhoun is an Honorary Research
Fellow at the University of Auckland and the former Chief Dental Officer of
Aukland, New Zealand.

46. Gessner B.D., et al., op cit.

47. Gupta I.P., et al., "Fluoride as a Possible Etiological Factor in
Non-Ulcer Dyspepsia," J. of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 7 (1992),
355-356; see also Susheela AK., "Fluoride Ingestion and Its Correlation with
Gastrointestinal Discomfort," Fluoride, 25:1 (1992), 5-22.

48. Cohn P.D., "A Brief Report On The Association Of Drinking Water
Fluoridation And The Incidence of Osteosarcoma Among Young Males," NJ
Depart. of Health, Environ. Health Service (Nov. 8, 1992), 1-17.

49. Sowers M.R., et al., "A Prospective Study of Bone Mineral content and
Fracture in Communities with Differential Fluoride Exposure," American
Journal of Epidemiology, 133:7 (1991), 649- 660.

50. Cooper C., et al., "Water Fluoridation and Hip Fracture," Journal Am.
Med. Assn. (Letters), 266:4 (1991), p. 513.

51. Report of the AD Hoc Subcommittee on fluoride, "Review of Fluoride:
Benefits and Risks," Department of Health and Human Service, Public Health
Service (February, 1991), 1-134.

52. Yiamouyiannis J., "Fluoride: The Aging Factor," 3rd edition, (Health
Action Press, Delaware, Ohio: 1993), 1-292.

53. Stannard J.G., et al., "Fluoride levels and fluoride contamination of
fruit juices," Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry, 16:1 (1991), 38-40.

54. Riggs B.L., et al., "Effect of Fluoride Treatment on the Fracture Rate
in Postmenopausal Women with Osteoporosis," New England Journal of Medicine
322:12 (March, 1990), 802-809.

55. Marcus W., Senior Science Advisor, Criteria & Standards Division, Office
of Drinking Water (ODW), United States Environmental Protection Agency, to
Mr. Alan B. Hais, Acting Director, ODW (Washington, DC: May 1, 1990).

56. Equivocal evidence of carcinogenic activity is demonstrated by studies
that are interpreted as showing a marginal increase of neoplasms that may be
chemically related [NTP report TR 393]." Emphasis added. See: National
Toxicology Program Technical Report 393: "Toxicology and Carcinogenesis
Studies of Sodium Fluoride (CAS No. 7681-49-4) in F344/N Rats and B6C3F(1)
Mice" (National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human
Services).

57. Calabrese Edward, PhD. (Environmental Health Science Program, School of
Public Health; University of Massachusetts), "Evaluation of the National
Toxicology Program (NTP) Cancer Bioassay on Sodium Fluoride" (Amherst: June,
1991). Commissioned by the East Bay Municipal Utility District (provides
water for Oakland and area).

58. Yiamouyiannis J.A., "Water Fluoridation And Tooth Decay: Results From
The 1986-1987 National Survey of U.S. Schoolchildren," Fluoride, 23:2
(April, 1990), 55-67.

59. Whitford G.M., "The Physiological and Toxicological Characteristics of
Fluoride," Journal Dental Research, 69 (Special Issue: February, 1990),
539-549.

60. Jacobsen S., et al., "Regional Variation in the Incidence of Hip
Fracture," JAMA, 264:4 (July, 1990), 500-502.

61. Disney JA., et al., "A case study in contesting the conventional wisdom:
school-based fluoride mouthrinse programs in the USA," Community Dental Oral
Epidemiology, 18 (1990), 46-56.

62. Damkaer D.M., and Dey D.B., op cit.

63. Hedlund L.R., and Gallagher, J.C., "Increased Incidence of Hip Fracture
in Osteoporotic Women Treated with Sodium Fluoride," Journal Bone and
Mineral Research, 4:2 (1989), 223-225.

64. Hildebolt C.F., et al., "Caries Prevalences Among Geochemical Regions of
Missouri," American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 78 (1989), 79-92.

-- 
<[email-masked]>