Subject: Re: Motion Sickness & Ear Problems

From: Liz Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Sep 1995 17:32:10 GMT

[email-masked] (Andrea Louise Coutu) wrote:
>Does anyone know if ginger will relieve motion sickness?  My mother says 
>she's heard that making a ginger tea will help -- has anyone got a recipe?
Ginger tea works well to relieve nausea-- probably best to drink a strong 
cup BEFORE you get in the car, as it seems to work better that way. Make 
it to your own taste-- ginger powder works well in either hot or cold 
water-- just add as much powder as you can comfortably tolerate drinking. 
You can also boil two or three coin-sized slices of the root for a 
pleasant fresh tea. Another recommendation on its use that I read 
somewhere... sorry, I can't recall the source... was to fill glycerine 
capsules with ginger powder and take them until you can taste ginger in 
the back of your throat-- again, this would be prior to getting in the 
car. I've never tried it this way since I like the tea. Ginger can help 
alleviate nausea after it starts, but it doesn't seem to work quite as 
well that way(does anything?). And anyhow, why wait until you're already 
miserable?

>Are there any other herbs that relieve motion sickness?  I suffer from 
>severe motion sickness.  
Other good herbs for nausea(in general) are cloves, peppermint and thyme. 
Probably don't overdo it on either cloves or thyme, but adding a bit of 
spice to a glass of water, hot or cold,can relieve a bellyache.  Also, I 
have a friend who sucks on whole cloves as if they were Lifesavers and 
finds relief from nausea that way.
 Good Luck!

Liz Jones

---

From: David A Garrett <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Sep 1995 01:11:26 GMT

Yes, ginger (Zangiber officinale) will help motion sickness.  Here are
some references:

          1.  Earl Mindell's Herb Bible by Earl Mindell.  Simon &
Schuster,
              New York, !1992.  Page 100.
          2.  Ginger:  Common Spice & Wonder Drug, Revised Edition by
              Paul Schulick.  Herbal Free Press, Ltd., Brattleboro, VT,
!1994.
          3.  Science of Herbal Medicine by John Heinerman.  Bi-World
              Publishers, P.O. Box 1144, Orem, Utah 84057, !1984.  Page
125.
          4.  The Complete Book of Spices:  Their Medical, Nutritional &
              Cooking Uses by John Heinerman.  Keats Publishing, Inc.,
              New Canaan, Connecticut, !1983.  Page 38.

In regard to ear infections, Robert J. Marshall, who practices
nutritional and biochemical medicine in Torrance, California, (310)
320-1132, recommends essential fatty acids that can be found in fish
oils, especially cod liver oil.  He also recommends acidophilus,
bifidobacteria, Golden Seal, and Echinacea.
David Garrett
[email-masked]
[email-masked]