Subject: herbal drinks

From: "Choli R. Lightfoot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 17:49:18 -0400

I am looking for recipes for beverages that include herbs.  Either
alcoholic or non.  I am also interested in any mideval (sp?) beverage
recipes anyone can think of, such as heather beer ect.
thanks
choli

---

From: Karin Oughton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 12:36:45 GMT

> recipes anyone can think of, such as heather beer ect.
Have you tried making a metheglin - it is a spiced/herby honey wine, and was originally used a 
medecine carrier base - in fact that's what metheglin means.
4lb  honey, 1 gallon water, maury yeast, lemon juice, yeast nutrient(not vital you could use 
raisins), your pick of herbs/spices.
Simmer herbs/spices in water for 1/2 hour then pour onto honey, add nutrient/lemon juice/yeast 
when tepid/cool. Leave to ferment, clear, & bottle.

You can try all different mixes of herbs/spices - I like the cinnamon/ nutmeg/clove type blends, 
but thyme and rosemary  work nicely 

BE WARNED - it can take AGES to mature properly though - I just opened a bottle of metheglin 
made in 1990 and it still needs another 2-3 years maturing, although it is drinkable now.

Also HOP ALE
4 oz dried hops, 2oz gentian root, 2 oz dandelion root, 3lb dark brown sugar, 3 tbs brewers 
yeast
Boil hops, dandelion gentian in 6 gallons water for 2 1/2 hrs, leave to cool. When 
lukewarm,strain, add yeast, sugar, stir, cover, leave. Next day strain & cask, bung tightly & 
leave for  a few days then drink.

-- 
Karin