Subject: Re: Phlegm

From: [email-masked] (Dana M. Gass)
Date: 25 Jan 1996 18:58:04 GMT

An excellent combination for excess phlegm is Mullein leaf,
Marshmallow root, Ginger, and St. Johnswort.  Add Elder if
it's sinus problems.  Eucalyptus essential oil is excellent
for sinuses as well, however, if it's in your lungs, a
combination of Fir and Frankincense essential oils is MUCH
more effective.
Bright Blessings,
Kamala
-- 
Kamala Perfumes: your complete aromatherapy supplier**E-mail
us for more info. or check us out at :
http://www.prairienet.org/business/kamala/kamala.html

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Finkelstein)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 12:05:12

Hi.

Traditional Chinese Medicine )TCM) views phlegm as a result of several factors 
including poor dietary habits and incomplete digestion (i.e., conversion of 
food into energy). I too had the same problems with "ears popping" during air 
travel (with some pretty bad ear problems) and my son had chronic conjestion 
at one time. There is a great book called "The Arisal of the Clear" by Bob 
Flaws. Poppy Press which does a magnificent job of outling the TCM view of 
chronic phlegm, and I highly recommend it. Brieftly, here are some of the 
guidelines:

1) never eat late at night because digestion is incomplete leaving food around 
to collect and turn into phlegm

2) eat soups because they are already in a very digestable form and at the 
right temperature for digestion. which conserves energy (spleen energy in TCM 
terms)

3) minimize "damp" foods which can turn into phlegm such as dairy, citrus, tofu

4) avoid drinking while eating (Flaws explains why)

5) do not drink coffee (robs the body of energy)

6) chew well - again because food is easier to digest

These are some basic guidelines. Flaws book is short (about sixty pages) but 
gets right to the point. It makes alot of sense. I did use TCM herb formulas 
to try to minimize phlegm (in particular herbs to stengthen the "spleen" 
function) but the dietary recommendations outlined in Flaws book is the best 
advice I have ever seen. Not only for phlegm (an excess of which often leads 
to colds and flus) but for overall good health.

Hope this helps.

Rich