Subject: OLESTRA??

From: PET <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jan 1996 17:10:52 GMT

I know this might not be the correct newsgroup in which to post, 
but have had no responses elsewhere and hope someone here might 
be well informed.  I'm trying to get info. on P&G's fat 
substitute, Olestra.  Someone told me this product is made from 
sugar.  Being diabetic, I'm trying to find out if this is true 
and whether I can use products containing Olestra which will 
apparently be on the market soon.

Thanks! 

-- 
[Standard Disclaimer: I only speak for myself.]

---

From: [email-masked] (broomstick)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 10:04:52

In article <[email-masked]> PET <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: PET <[email-masked]>
>Subject: OLESTRA??
>Date: 26 Jan 1996 17:10:52 GMT

>apparently be on the market soon.

No, it's not made from sugar.

It's actually made from fat and oils.

No, they're not EXACTLY lying about the product.  The fat and oils have been 
chemically combined in such a way that your digestive process can't break the 
molecules apart - that is, they are literally indigestible.  Since the 
molecules are also far too big to be absorbed by your system undigested they 
simply pass through unaltered.  So while it's fat, it's fat your body can't 
use in anyway.  Thus, "fat-free" and "fat-substitute" in that the fat is never 
absorbed, has no calories your body can use, will not migrate to your hips, 
etc.

The problem - if there is one, and that's where the debate comes in - comes 
>from  the fact that the "fat-soluable" vitamins such as A, E, K, and so forth 
can be absorbed by the Olestra.  Once absorbed by Olestra your body can't get 
at them and they, too, pass through your system undigested and unused.  
Theorectically, this could result in a vitamin deficiency.  P&G says they have 
added these vitamins to Olestra so the molecules have already been loaded with 
these vitamins and thus can't absorb any more, much like a soaked sponge can 
only hold so much water and no more.  Did P&G add ENOUGH of these vitamins to 
Olestra do this?  They say they did.  The FDA says they did.  The Center for 
Science in the Public Interest (the "food police") say they didn't.  Draw your 
own conclusions.

Also, since Olestra is undigestible it can, like other undigestible 
substances, cause intestinal distress and/or diarrhea.  Whether it will or not 
depends on the individual and the quantity of Olestra consumed.  Think of 
fiber - in small amounts everyone can handle it.  In large amounts it can 
cause diarrhea and even "flush" nutrients from the body.  How much Olestra is 
too much?  Well, that depends on who you ask.  Some people probably will not 
be able to tolerate it at all.  Most people will probably be able to handle a 
bag of Olestra-fried potato chips or french fries now and again.  There are 
probably some few people out there who could eat pounds of the stuff daily 
with no ill effect.

*My* opinion (and it's *only* opinion, folks - yours can and probably will 
differ) is that *occassional* use of a *small* amount probably will be OK.  
The stuff is not poisonous in low doses.  But daily use may very likely cause 
problems.  This is not going to be a cure for eating to many calories or too 
much fat, although it will likely be promoted as such.  Ever notice how many 
overwieght people practically live on diet soda?

One thing is for sure - if this stuff *does* start to make folks ill it's not 
likely to survive long no matter what P&G says, or the FDA.  And if it 
*doesn't* make them ill in the short term it'll likely be a big hit, even if 
there are long term consequences.  As always, get informed and draw your own 
conclusions.

===============================================================================
>---Broomstick---	| If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains,
			|	however improbable, must be the truth
===============================================================================