Subject: liver enzymes, hypothyroid and herbs?

From: [email-masked] (Izolda Trakhtenberg)
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 1995 15:59:28 -0500

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on my current situation.  A couple
of weeks ago, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid (hormone level at 14 with 6
being the normal high range).  I got re-tested a week and a half later and
got a level of 11.  But, I also had some other tests run and some of my
liver enzymes were too high.  The ALT had a reading of 70 with 40 as the
upper safe normal range.  The AST had a reading of low 40's with 40 as the
upper safe normal range.  On the day after my second set of tests, I
started taking kelp supplements for the thyroid problem.  However, I had
also been taking tincture of echinacea, angelica root and nettles.  Could
any of these three be causing my elevated liver enzyme levels?  I have
been under some pretty extreme stress the last seven months, and I am
pretty certain that the bulk of problems stem from this.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Please email me with any responses.

Thanks in advance,
Izolda