Subject: Re: NETCOM CANCELED -- HERE'S THE EXPLANATION I GOT IN MAIL

From: [email-masked] (Thom Bone)
Date: 6 Oct 1995 03:25:19 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mr. Foo)
writes: 
>
>On Thu, 05 Oct 1995 21:50:31 GMT, [email-masked] (Powaqqatsi)
>wrote:
>
>>To: [email-masked]
>>Subject: Re: your mail
>>From: [email-masked] (NETCOM Technical Support)
>>Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 11:03:59 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>>Powaqqatsi writes:
>>> From [email-masked]  Tue Oct  3 00:01:14 1995
>>> Return-Path: <[email-masked]>
>>> Received: from ix3.ix.netcom.com by office.netcom.com
(8.6.12/Netcom) 	id AAA23342; Tue, 3 Oct 1995 00:01:13 -0700
>>> Received: from mail.netcom.com by ix3.ix.netcom.com
(8.6.12/SMI-4.1/Netcom) 	id AAA15375; Tue, 3 Oct 1995 00:00:43
-0700
>>> Received: by mail.netcom.com (8.6.12/Netcom) 	id AAA02113; Tue,
3 Oct 1995 00:00:28 -0700
>>> Received: from ix5.ix.netcom.com by mail.netcom.com (8.6.12/Netcom)
	id AAA02084; Tue, 3 Oct 1995 00:00:14 -0700
>>> Received: from #Powaq by ix5.ix.netcom.com (8.6.12/SMI-4.1/Netcom)
	id XAA15025; Mon, 2 Oct 1995 23:59:17 -0700
>>> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
>>> From: [email-masked] (Powaqqatsi)
>>> To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>> Date: Tue, 03 Oct 1995 06:58:53 GMT
>>> Organization: Rainbow Connections
>>> Reply-To: [email-masked]
>>> X-Mailer: Forte Agent .99b.112
>>> Subject: 
>>> 
>>> I just read today, on the newsgroups that you have been cutting
back
>>> on the disk space you are allowing for them.  Is this true?  If so,
>>> I'll most likely be finding another net-server next month.  The
>>> newsgroups I've been reading have some very valuable information to
>>> me, but recently, when I went to go get some of the replies to my
>>> requests for herbs, they were gone.  I'm sorry, but I didn't sign
up
>>> for that kind of service.  There are about 50 servers in my area
which
>>> I just found out about.  Should I start calling them to find a
better
>>> company?  I'm starting to think so.  If I don't hear back from you
on
>>> this problem, or if I don't read about your solution to this
problem
>>> on the newsgroups this month, I'll be cancelling on November 1st.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>Hi,
>>
>>Some of the newsgroups were removed from the NetCruiser installation
>>software to save room on the (floppy) disk.  All of the Usenet
>>hierarchy is available on our news server, however.
>>
>>We understand the confusion that was caused when we removed the alt
>>hierarchy from the NetCruiser software package.  These groups were
not
>>removed, but simply left off the diskette and download to save space.
>>We wanted the software to fit on one 1.44MB diskette, and with the
>>many
>>newsgroups, this would have proved impossible.
>>
>>We regret any inconveniences this may have caused with our customers.
>>As a result, we have developed a web page to allow our users to
search
>>for what newsgroups are available on our web site.  This site will
>>allow you to search for any newsgroup names or parts of the name.  It
>>is at the URL:
>>
>>	http://www.netcom.com/bin/findnews
>>
>>If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to
contact
>>us.
>>
>>--------------------------------------------------------------
>>Michael                           Netcom OnLine Communications 
>>Email Technical Support           [email-masked]
>>
>>
>>
>This is double talk.  It had nothing to do with your orginal
>questions.  What a crock of shit.
>
>
>

You should have seen the letter they sent me after they DELETED my
entire MAILBOX!!

It was even bigger bullshit!

-- 
..Thom Bone
SLOT ROCKET (formerly: "Butt Trumpet")

"We care even less."

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from
mediocre minds."
                         - Albert Einstein

---

From: [email-masked] (Mr. Foo)
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 1995 01:46:02 GMT

wrote:

>> Received: from ix3.ix.netcom.com by office.netcom.com (8.6.12/Netcom) 	id AAA23342; Tue, 3 Oct 1995 00:01:13 -0700
>> Received: from mail.netcom.com by ix3.ix.netcom.com (8.6.12/SMI-4.1/Netcom) 	id AAA15375; Tue, 3 Oct 1995 00:00:43 -0700
>> Received: by mail.netcom.com (8.6.12/Netcom) 	id AAA02113; Tue, 3 Oct 1995 00:00:28 -0700
>> Received: from ix5.ix.netcom.com by mail.netcom.com (8.6.12/Netcom) 	id AAA02084; Tue, 3 Oct 1995 00:00:14 -0700
>> Received: from #Powaq by ix5.ix.netcom.com (8.6.12/SMI-4.1/Netcom) 	id XAA15025; Mon, 2 Oct 1995 23:59:17 -0700
>> I just read today, on the newsgroups that you have been cutting back
>> requests for herbs, they were gone.  I'm sorry, but I didn't sign up
>> for that kind of service.  There are about 50 servers in my area which
>> I just found out about.  Should I start calling them to find a better
>> company?  I'm starting to think so.  If I don't hear back from you on
>> this problem, or if I don't read about your solution to this problem
>hierarchy from the NetCruiser software package.  These groups were not
>As a result, we have developed a web page to allow our users to search
>If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact
>us.
>

---

From: [email-masked] (dave foster)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 17:53:59 GMT

You have to wonder whether or not they're doing it this way instead of
giving you an ftp site, or by autoloading a text file / update to you
like they do they're new versions of NetCruiser, and instead putting
that info on a Web site so they have an easier way of collecting data
on WHICH newsgroups people are searching for information on.  If a
bazillion people log onto that page and search for anything w/ the
word "warez" in it, for example, just by linking to an info page can
activate a counter, autosend email updates, etc.

Best regards.
By, -MAX-