Subject: Re: Pnematosis? - Gastrointestinal Complication of Chemo?!

From: Susan Seifert <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Oct 1995 02:31:33 GMT

I wrote an article about Mind/Body medicine a few years ago and in the
course of my research found a group of women with cancer who swore they
received good benefits from taking large doses of Maharishi Amrit Kailash.

They believed that taking 3-4 times the usual daily amount of the 
paste formula greatly reduced the effects of chemo and radiation. One
lady in particular believed that she didn't lose her hair and had only
mild side effects of heavy chemo/radiation treatments due to 
taking the supplement.

I realize all this is not scientific and I don't know any good reason
for these results. But perhaps this can help. You can order M.A.K. from
1-800-ALL-VEDA.

good luck. 

Kavosh Soltani <kavosh@DGS> wrote:
>
>I wonder if anyone can clear-up this mistery or knows of research 
>presently ongoing in this area:
>
>Patient: 2.5 years old - Metastatic Osteosarcoma
>Receiving Chemotherapy for 4.5 months (Adriamycin, Ifosfemide, Cis-Platinum)
>
>First 4 rounds: No unusual/unexpected problems!
>Following fourth treatment, he developed a kidney complication 
>(temporary) and has a problem with severe loss of minerals (Potassium, 
>Magnesium, Phosphorous).  He received them IV at the hospital and orally 
>(liquid form) at home.
>
>This could be a coincidence, however, once he started taking the 
>supplements orally, he developed "Pnematosis" (Air in wall of the 
>intestines).  Doctors seem to have no explanation for the cause of this 
>development, but are concerned about the possibility of rupture 
>and need for surgery!!!
>
>[Note: one of the young oncologists told me when they saw this first a 
>few years ago, they did not know what to make of it!  Has anyone looked 
>into the possibility of a new medication causing this?!]
>
>Observation:
>
>He fights oral Potassium, Phosphorous supplements (complains about 
>stomach ache while taking them), which are administered before Magnesium 
>supplement (4 times a day).
>
>He has now suffered this condition twice (once after each of the last two 
>treatments) and each time has been hospitalized for 7 days with no oral 
>food/liquid intake. (Which is rather difficult, specially if you have a 
>tube sucking all the liquid out of your gut.)
>
>Any suggestions, comments, or ideas?
>
>Thank you for your time.
>
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Kavosh Soltani)
Date: 11 Oct 1995 17:17:34 GMT

How would I go about finding information on current Clinical Trials (US and 
International).  I have contacted NCI, ACA, and a number of University 
hospitals; each seem to have a separate list, which may partially coincide.

Is there a comprehensive list maintained anywhere? (at least one for US)?

Thank you.