Subject: Black (Caraway) Seeds - [Kalonji]

From: Kavosh Soltani <kavosh@DGS>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 22:02:52 -0400

Does anyone have any information on medicinal property of this seed?

Anything on proper use?

Thank you.

---

From: [email-masked] ("K N and P J Harris")
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 08:31:45 GMT

Kalonji NOT carraway.
Kalonji is the Hindi name for onion seed. Don't know of any medicinal 
uses but it is great (half to one teaspoon to about a pound of veggies) 
to brighten up the more insipid dishes such as pumpkin and potatoe and 
cauliflower. Common in Indian vegetarian cooking. It is customary to 
sizzle the seeds in hot oil for say 15 to 20 seconds before adding other 
ingredients (watch out, they can spit back!).
Peter Harris, Reading, UK.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 95 12:27:19 -0700

nope! wrong again!!
 
the seeds indians use before cooking...throw into hot oil...are mustard
seeds...tiny brown seeds...these are NOT used to make the hot chinese mustard,
but they ARE in the mustard family.
 
black caraway seeds are nigella...which can be sown in the garden and produce a
wonderful little annual commonly called 'love-in-a-mist'.
 
ANY and ALL poppy seed you can buy at oriental/indian spice stores are totally
viable for ALWAYS...at least it seemed that way to me when i scattered some
poppy seeds i'd bought in new york in '73 and they all came rising with bright
faces in '90!
 
and lastly, sesame seed (RAW) make for a great companion plant as it will draw
aphids away from your other plants.  if you NEED to have the sesame plants
survive...let them gather their aphids (where they may |:-} ) and then simply
squeeze the little green buggers (pardon the pun) ONTO the stems and leaves of
the plant...once this is done, no further aphids will come where their brothers
(and sisters) have been devastated....

i was married to a man from india (bangalore) for almost 2 decades... and have
been to india more than 8 times...i KNOW of which i speak!!

a(n) unicorn is slightly bigger than an arabian horse and yet smaller than
pegasus.  she/he does not have wings nor more than one horn on its head.