Subject: Culinary herb FAQ (v.1.01) Part 1/3

From: [email-masked] (Henriette Kress)
Date: 29 Aug 1995 11:24:22 GMT

A culinary herb FAQ / Resource list for the rec.gardens newsgroup. 
Available by www: http://sunsite.unc.edu/culiherb.html
and ftp: ftp sunsite.unc.edu /pub/academic/medicine/alternative-
    healthcare/herbal-medicine/faqs/culiherb.txt

==========
CONTENTS

1  Introduction 
  1.1  Contributors
  1.2  Where is this FAQ stored?
  1.3  Wishlist 
2  Herbs: gardening / harvesting / using them 
  2.x  This is the structure of the herb entries: 
    2.x.1  Growing ___
    2 x 2  Harvesting ___
    2.x.3  Using / preserving ___
    2.x.4  Which ___ do you have?
     And these are the herbs so far:
  2.1  Basil
  2.2  Curry plant / Curry leaf
  2.3  Sage
  2.4  Chives
  2.5  Saffron
  2.6  Zucchini flowers
  2.7  Chamomile
  2.8  Coriander/Cilantro
  2.9  The mints
  2.10 Feverfew
  2.11 Tarragon
  2.12 Nasturtiums
  2.13 Dill
  2.14 Rosemary
  2.15 Lavender
  2.16 Lemon balm
  2.17 Garlic
  2.18 Thyme
  2.19 Lemon grass
  2.20 Horseradish
3  Gardening 
  3.1  Herbs for ground cover
  3.2  Herbs you can't get rid of (= easy gardening)
  3.3  Tall herbs
  3.4  Herbs for shade
4  Processing herbs 
  4.1  Herb vinegars
  4.2  Herb oil
  4.3  Drying your herbs
  4.4  Freezing your herbs
  4.5  Fresh or dry? (Nothing yet)
  4.6  Jelly, syrup and other sweet stuff
    4.6.1  Flower / herb jelly
    4.6.2  Flower / herb syrup
    4.6.3  Miscellanious sweet stuff
  4.7  Potpourris and other uses for dried herbs / flowers
    4.7.1  Stovetop potpourri
    4.7.2  Dry potpourri
    4.7.3  Drying flowers whole for potpourri
  4.8  Beverages
    4.8.1  Wine
    4.8.2  Ginger ale / ginger beer
  4.9  Recipes using lots of herbs
    4.9.1  Gazpacho
    4.9.2  Pesto
    4.9.3  Miscellanious
    4.9.4  Spice mixes
5  Sites to see 
  5.1  FTP sites
  5.2  WWW pages

==========
1  Introduction 
-----
Hi all,
here's the second posting of the new culinary/gardening herbfaq. Thanks
  all for your additions, and for your thank-you-notes (warm my heart, 
  they do).
The wishlist is still long, and it might be growing in some parts, but
  it's also shrinking in others. Thanks for that!  ;)

[email-masked]

==========
1.1  Contributors
-----
FAQ Keeper: Henriette Kress, [email-masked]. 

Very active contributors so far (listed alphabetically):
  How do you get listed here? Easy. Give me some good input on any missing 
  item ('wishlist'), or a valuable correction on any entry, or a valuable 
  addition on any entry. ;) All good stuff is welcome.
Donna Beach ([email-masked])
Gwen Baker ([email-masked]) 
JR Schroeder ([email-masked])
Judith Rogow ([email-masked])
Karen Fletcher ([email-masked])
Leslie Basel ([email-masked])
Michael Rooney ([email-masked])
Susan L. Nielsen ([email-masked])

Others: 
Amy Smith ([email-masked])
Amy Snell ([email-masked])
Andreas Guenin ([email-masked])
Anne E. Comer ([email-masked])
Annette (no email address)
Bess Haile ([email-masked])
Carole Henson ([email-masked])
Christopher Loffredo ([email-masked])
Dan Baldwin ([email-masked])
David Bennett ([email-masked])
David Perry <[email-masked]>
David & Paula Oliver ([email-masked]) 
Debbie Golembiski ([email-masked])
Denise Henry ([email-masked])
Diana Politika ([email-masked])
Dina ([email-masked])
[email-masked]
Don Wiss ([email-masked])
Dwight Sipler ([email-masked])
Elizabeth Platt ([email-masked])
Eric Hunt ([email-masked])
Eve Dexter ([email-masked])
Graham Sorenson ([email-masked])
Gregory R. Cook ([email-masked])
J Michel ([email-masked])
James Michael Kocher ([email-masked])
Jason Wade Rupe ([email-masked])
Jeanne Ross ([email-masked])
Jeff Benjamin ([email-masked])
Jeffrey Clayton ([email-masked]) (Barb.)
Jennifer Norris ([email-masked])
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
Joey L Hanson ([email-masked])
John Pedlow ([email-masked])
Josh Bogin ([email-masked])
Julia Moravcsik ([email-masked])
K Raghunandan ([email-masked])
[email-masked]
Kate Blacklock ([email-masked])
Kathleen Snyder ([email-masked])
Kathy French ([email-masked])
Kaycee Curr ([email-masked])
Kenneth Nilsson ([email-masked])
Kim Pratt <[email-masked]>
[email-masked]
Laurie Otto <[email-masked]>
Leslie Paul Davies ([email-masked]) 
Libby Goldstein ([email-masked])
Mandy Haggith ([email-masked])
Mari J Stoddard ([email-masked])
Mark David Morrison ([email-masked])
Mel Atchley ([email-masked])
Melissa C. Davidson ([email-masked])
Michelle Marie Manke ([email-masked])
Mike Stallcup ([email-masked]) 
Nancy Moote ([email-masked])
Naomi Brokaw ([email-masked])
[email-masked]
Peter Harris ([email-masked])
Peter Mortimer ([email-masked])
[email-masked]
Rick Cook ([email-masked])
Rick Giese ([email-masked])
Rita Melnick ([email-masked])
Robert G. Nold ([email-masked])
Rudy Taraschi ([email-masked])
Ruth J Fink-Winter ([email-masked])
[email-masked]
Sam Waring ([email-masked])
Sarah G. ([email-masked])
Sheri McRae ([email-masked])
[email-masked]
sonny hays-eberts ([email-masked])
Stavros Macrakis ([email-masked])
Steen Goddik ([email-masked])
Steve Cogorno ([email-masked])
Susan D. Hill ([email-masked])
Susan Hattie Steinsapir ([email-masked])
Suzanne M. Engels ([email-masked])
[email-masked]
Tom Havey ([email-masked])
[email-masked]
Waldek Trafidlo ([email-masked])
wayne chase ([email-masked])
Wendi L Gardner ([email-masked])
Wolf ([email-masked])
Xiaoyan Ma ([email-masked])
Yasha Hartberg ([email-masked])

==========
1.2  Where is this FAQ stored?
-----

ftp to sunSITE :
  sunSITE.unc.edu /pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare
                               /herbal-medicine/faqs/culiherb.txt
or get it by WWW from sunSITE : 
  http://sunSITE.unc.edu/herbmed/culiherb.html

==========
1.3  Wishlist
-----
Still a lot missing:

Single herbs
2.1.4  Different kinds of basil
2.2.1  Growing curry plant / curry leaf 
2.2.2  Harvesting curry plant / curry leaf 
2.2.3  Using / preserving curry plant / curry leaf 
2.3.1  Growing sage
2.3.2  Harvesting sage
2.3.4  Which sage do you have?
2.4.1  Growing chives
2.4.2  Harvesting chives
2.4.3  Using / preserving chives, additions, please.
2.5.3  Using / preserving saffron
2.6.1  Growing zucchini flowers ;)
2.6.2  Harvesting zucchini flowers
2.6.4  either Which zucchini do you have ;) or a post stating there is
       only one true zucchini, or a post stating you can also use 
       cucumber / melon / whatever flowers like you can zucchini.
2.7.2  Harvesting chamomile
2.7.3  More uses for chamomile needed
2.8.4  Which cilantro / coriander do you have? -just a post stating 
       they are the same, or if you know more about them, then more
2.9.1  More on growing mints.
2.9.4  A full writeup on the different kinds of mint, including monarda 
       / beebalm (or a hint to it) and others of like use. Of course 
       also mentioning that pennyroyal isn't good for your health...
2.10.2 Harvesting feverfew
2.10.3 Using / preserving feverfew
2.10.4 Which kinds of feverfew are there?
2.11.1 More on growing tarragon
2.11.2 Harvesting tarragon
2.11.3 More uses / preserving tricks for tarragon - vinegar, anyone?
2.11.4 More on different tarragon substitutes 
2.12.1 Growing nasturtium
2.12.2 Harvesting the stuff
2.12.3 More uses - flowers, anyone?
2.12.4 And a writeup on the nasturtiums.
2.13.3 More uses for dill, please.
2.13.4 Different kinds of dill.
2.15   All you have ever wanted to write about lavender.
2.16   Lemon balm, all except how to make the tea and growing it.
2.17   Garlic please?
2.18   And some thyme.
2.19   And some more lemon grass.
2.20   And some more horseradish
2.xx   And any other culinary herb you wish to write extensively on 

Gardening: 
3.1    Herbs for ground cover
3.2    More Herbs you can't get rid of
3.3    More on tall herbs
3.x    anything else on herb gardening you might think of

Processing herbs 
4.5    Fresh or dry?
4.x    Any other way to process herbs you might think of 

End of wishlist. If you decide to add something tell me - I'll keep 
  track of who promises to do what so we won't have doubles.

==========
2  Herbs: growing, harvesting, using/preserving, and checking 
   which you've really got 
-----
This is the main spot for information. Check this before posting yet 
another question on curry plant... on the other hand every time 
somebody asks for uses for mints some new ones pop up so keep 
asking for those.   ;)

Repeating the structure of the herb entries: 
    2.x.1  Growing ___
    2 x 2  Harvesting ___
    2.x.3  Using / preserving ___
    2.x.4  Which ___ do you have?

==========
2.1  Basil
=====
2.1.1  Growing basil
-----

From: [email-masked] (engels s.m.): 
  Basil loves the sun and hates the cold & wind.  If it drops below 50 
  degrees at night, the leaves will yellow.  When it warms up the new 
  growth will be green.  If it doesn't get enough sun and stays in 
  damp soil too long, it will eventually die.  The wind will bruise 
  the leaves.  So will rough handling.  Again, the new growth will be 
  fine.
Very important to harden basil plants. Transplant shock may kill them.  
  Set the pots outside for 3-5 days (watch the night temps) before 
  transplanting.
I use compost and occasionally organic fertilizer.  Never had any bug 
  problems.  A few caterpillars and rabbits, but there was plenty for 
  everyone in my patch.

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney), in response to above: 
  I believe it is better to not transplant basil, i.e., it is better to 
  put seeds in the ground where you want it, when it is warm enough for 
  them to grow.  They will quickly outstrip the transplants however 
  carefully they have been grown and hardened.
Yes, they do tend not to attract many bugs which is a surprise given 
  their good taste.

From: [email-masked] (Carole Henson) 
I am addicted to basil, really love it, even the smell is wonderful. I 
  have 10 basil plants in my greenhouse at the moment, and two in the 
  kitchen for chucking into salad etc.  You only need a couple of 
  large handfuls of leaves for a jar of pesto, so a couple of plants 
  would do it.  If you sow a few seeds at 2 weekly intervals, you 
  should have a constant supply.

From: Dwight Sipler <[email-masked]>
There are several different varieties of basil. Mammoth basil has very 
  large leaves, although the leaves are somewhat savoyed (wrinkled). 
I've had good luck with Genovese basil, which I get from Johnny's 
  Selected Seeds. No particular soil preparation, just normal garden 
  soil, fertilized every other year, limed as necessary (determined by 
  pH test). I put in about 600 plants and I always lose a dozen or so 
  to cutworms, critters etc., but it's not a big problem. I plant 
  marigolds nearby since the japanese beetles seem to like them and 
  they keep the beetles off the basil plants.

-----
>basil eaten to skeleton; more eaten each morning, no bugs evident?

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney)
  There is a caterpillar that seems often to like basil that lives under 
  the surface of the earth during the day.  Gently disturb the top 
  quarter or half inch of dirt in a circle around the plant going out 
  about four inches or so and look for a dark gray circle about half to 
  three quarters of an inch in diameter that usually stays that way and 
  sometimes opens up to get away (depending on how deep a sleep it is 
  in I guess :-)).  If you find it, squash it and hope.  The only other 
  predator I can see that would do what you have is a lot of slugs so 
  you would likely see them anyway.  They can be taken care of by all 
  the standard beer, diatomaceous earth, etc. methods in addition to 
  hand picking.
There are few joys as great as finding one of those blasted 
  caterpillars in the ground after they have been eating your food, let 
  me tell you.

-----
> basil wilting in the sun?

From: [email-masked] (Josh Bogin)
Probably this is due to not enough water **and or possibly resulting 
  from** not enough room for the plants.  If the plants are root-bound 
  it really will hardly matter how much you are watering them, since 
  the pot would presumably be too small to hold much water, the plant 
  would keep drying out, and also the roots probably get no nutrients.  
  Give them some plant food, and think about finding them more room, 
  if this is the problem.

From: [email-masked] (Wolf)
Here in Southern California, (Pasadena) our sweet Basil that "was" in 
  full sun started wilting one after the other. Every couple of days, 
  another one wilted. The sweet Basil we planted in part-shade (Morning 
  shade, afternoon full sun) is thriving, and the plants are giant. 
  They make great pesto. On the other hand, we have some purple Basil 
  which is also in full sun, and it is completely unaffected by the 
  heat.  All plants are getting really big, despite frequent pinching. 
All plants get plenty of water, and the dirt around the dying plants 
  was plenty moist. 
The instructions on seed packets are simply not meant for folks in the 
  Southwest.

-----
> have basil in pot; can I plant it outside?

From: Debbie Golembiski <[email-masked]>
You sure can move your potted basil into the ground.  Just cut it back 
  a bit first and try to move it with as much soil intact as possible. 
  Basil loves full sun, so pick a spot that gets at least 6 hours of 
  sun daily.

-----
>saw some basil for sale with huge healthy green leaves that put mine 
  to shame.

From: [email-masked] (Wolf)
The guys who have these giant sweet basil plants feed them with Urea. 
  Seems to do the trick. Also, sweet basil doesn't like it too hot, and 
  likes to have moist soil. Make sure you pinch off any flowers before 
  they go to seed. If you follow these guidelines, you should get giant 
  plants.

-----
> ...no basil sprouting - too wet for the last three weeks?

From: [email-masked] (Rick Giese):
Basil seeds will not germinate when they are constantly wet.  I started 
  mine in flats protected from the winter rains here on Maui.  Once 
  transplanted to the field, they did fine.

=====
2.1.2  Harvesting basil

-----  on rec.gardens June 1995:
From: [email-masked] (engels s.m.): 
You can harvest basil leaves as soon as the plant has 3 sets of leaves.
  Keep the plants branches shorter than 4 sets of leaves and you will 
  increase leaf production. Once it flowers, production drops.  I've 
  found the taste stronger befor flowering.

From: [email-masked] (Mark David Morrison) 
Basil leaf harvesting: pick all that you think that you will need for 
  the recipe that you are preparing. If you have a lot of basil and are 
  freezing basil for winter then just pick the big leaves. I use a lot 
  of basil and pick leaves from the plant almost daily. If they are 
  small or big leaves does not matter... the plant is the hardiest 
  beast in my gardens. I think it may be of alien origin. 
Pinching back basil:  Always pinch off and use those tops. The leaves 
  will really bush out on your basil when you do.

From: [email-masked] (Kathleen Snyder) 
Pick all over. Don't strip the stems of all the leaves. Be careful not 
  to tear the stem when cutting off a leaf. I use scissors. Tearing can 
  some times strip the stem and damage it.
Pinching will make in fuller. Don't let it flower either. Pinch off the 
  flower buds the minute you see them coming.

From: [email-masked] (Dina)
I often just go out and pluck off as much as I need once the plants are 
  established--sometimes a third or more of the plant, depending on 
  whether I'm making salad, herbing vinegars, or harvesting some to 
  dry. Pinching back makes the plants bushier, and I'd definitely start 
  cutting back when the plants start to flower.  They grow back 
  quickly.

From: David Perry <[email-masked]>
The best method is to pinch them back at the main stem(s) a couple of 
  times early in their lives.  This will create a bushier plant rather 
  than the single tree looking specimen.
Thereafter, just take the tips of the stems to keep the plant from 
  going to seed.  You will notice the tips become very heavy with small 
  pointier leaves just before it goes to seed.  Clip back any large 
  main leaves when you notice the secondary buds beginning to show 
  along the main stem, or when they get too big and seem to be sapping 
  the rest of the plant (these leaves are great to wrap steaks for the 
  grill, snip for salads etc...mmmmm!)
I also found that the leaves are oilier and more fragrant early in the 
  day or at night.  Of course, most of us don't use basil at 3 a.m.
Also, basil really doesn't have to be spaced out as much as the packet
   literature states.  I fill 1/2 barrels of basil every year.  I thin 
  out only enough to keep full sun and air circulation on all plants.

=====
2.1.3  Using / preserving basil
-----
Also see Pesto, 4.9.2 below

-----
> ... alternatives for using pesto or fresh sweet basil?

From: [email-masked] (Jason Wade Rupe)  
I bake it right into bread sometimes.
I like a stir fry of basil and whatever with a basic simple sauce on 
  rice. 
Try using it fresh as a pizza topping.

From: [email-masked] (Steve Cogorno)
Take GOOD quality tomatoes, preferably ones you've grown yourself :-) 
  and slice them.  Top with fresh mozzarella whole basil leaves.  A 
  little expensive because of the cheese, but it makes a very colorful 
  and tasty appetizer!

-----
From: [email-masked] (Kathy French) 
If your basil plants aren't producing fast enough to give you a cup or 
  two of leaves at a time, you can pinch off stems and keep them with 
  the ends of the stems in clean water (change it every few days) at 
  room temperature for several days.  Freezing the leaves doesn't work 
  so well, because it will make them mushy when they thaw, and it 
  reduces their flavor as well.  
You can also preserve basil by washing it carefully, drying it 
  thoroughly, packing it in good olive oil, and keeping it in the 
  refrigerator.  Then you can use the leaves plus oil to make pesto 
  fresh when you want it by adding garlic, cheese, and pine nuts.  
  I've tried this method and it works well, although the basil turns 
  somewhat dark in the process.

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney)
You can also make basil pesto and freeze it in cubes or patties and 
  save it for the winter when you have nothing fresh to use.

-----
BASIL OIL
-----
From: Laurie Otto <[email-masked]>
Someone asked about drying basil.  In my opinion, it wastes flavor to 
  dry basil.  Better to put it in the food processor with olive oil, 
  make a paste and freeze it for later use. Or try making salted oiled
  basil leaves:
Note: Even though a lot of oil is used for this it can be cleaned off 
  before using the basil so please don't discount this in the interest 
  of maintaining a low-fat lifestyle! The oil is merely a preservative 
  and it does keep the basil absolutely fresh for months! Carefully 
  clean *and dry* each leaf.  Use a salad spinner or swing the leaves 
  around in a clean, dry towel for a few minutes.  Pat dry, just to be 
  sure...:)  This is really important, so please be thorough!  Next 
  pour a little virgin- or extra-virgin olive oil into a sealable 
  crock, preferably a stone one.  The small kind used to house 
  cheesespreads are ideal!  Sprinkle a little salt on the oil.  Add a 
  single layer of basil leaves, careful not to overlap them.  Cover 
  with a thin layer of oil and sprinkle with more salt.  Do this until 
  the crock is full, then top off with oil and salt.  Seal.  Store in 
  the refrigerator and it will keep indefinitely.  To use the basil, 
  simply take out what you need *with a very clean utensil* and, if you 
  like, wash it well to remove the salt and oil. 

From: [email-masked] (Melissa C. David)
I tried to make basil oil the other day. I had a steril, sealed bottle, 
  basil from the yard, and olive oil. Put the herbs in the bottle, 
  completely covered with oil plus a few inches. Supposed to be good 
  for many months but the basil molded up within 2 weeks !! Help! 

From: [email-masked] (Lesleigh G. Federinic) to above:
I always refrigerate mine.  Only once did it mold on me in the frig but 
  then I had it there for several months during the winter and hadn't 
  been using it.  I use it up in the summer.  It's good for frying 
  zuccini and mushrooms as well as making angel hair pasta sauce.

From: [email-masked] (Yasha Hartberg)
I'm not sure having never done it myself, but it seems a bit strange to 
  start with a sterile bottle and then add non-sterile leaves and oil 
  to it and expect anything less than mold, bacteria, etc.  I wonder if 
  you might not try heating the mixture up a bit before sealing the 
  bottle?

From: [email-masked] (J Michel)
For years I've been preserving end of the summer basil leaves in olive 
  oil with salt (lots - don't know how much - sprinkled on successive 
  additions of leaves and oil to cover).  The leaves turn black in the 
  oil, but not moldy, and thru the winter I fish out a couple from time 
  to time to use in cooking.  I store it in the refrig. and in summmer 
  I toss out the salt which has settled to the bottom of the jar along 
  with the last of the oil.
I am about to be a convert to the Ice cube basil/oil pesto storage 
  method in order to eliminate the salt.  However, I'd suggest 
  experimenting with adding salt, or trying refrigeration.

From: [email-masked] (Rick Cook)
The key is moisture. If there's moisture in the plant (as there is in 
  basil leaves -- a lot of it) you're likely to get mold when you make
  basil oil.
If you want to make basil oil, grind the basil into a paste, add to the 
  olive oil to steep for a while in the refrigerator and then filter  
  the mixture.

HeK to above: You'll have the taste in the oil, the moisture will still 
  in the leaves, which are filtered out.

-----
DRYING BASIL
-----
> drying basil - how long?

From: Kim Pratt <[email-masked]>
The time factor really depends on where you hang it to dry, what the 
  temperature is.  Mine usually takes about 2 or 3 weeks to dry.  That 
  is hanging upside down with stems tied together in a bundle, in the 
  kitchen.  If you have a dusty house, after tying together in a bundle 
  put inside a small paper bag that has been punched full of small 
  holes and hang that (tie the top of the bag to the top of the stems 
  so your herbs are still hanging upside down).

From: [email-masked] (Eve Dexter)
My dehydrator has a fan and the drying takes only 1 1/2 -2 hours, 
  depending upon the humidity of the day of course.  I suggest you 
  start in the am and keep a close eye on the process - it shouldn't 
  take too much longer in your model.

==========
2.2  Curry plant (Helichrysum angustifolium) / Curry leaf (Murraya
     Koenigii)
=====
2.2.4  Which curry plant / curry leaf do you have?

----- on rec.gardens June 1995:
From: [email-masked] (Information Services)
  The "Curry Plant" is an herb, Helichrysum angustifolium, from the 
  family Compositae.  I believe it came from Africa or Australia, so 
  it's tropical, and probably perennial; although in North Texas you 
  may need to grow it as an annual or in a container (probably not 
  frost-hardy). The name "curry plant" originated from this herb's 
  pungent smell, which is reminiscent of some curries or curry 
  powders; however it is not used in curry.  I believe that it is 
  widely cultivated in the U.K., and is used there mostly in salads, 
  or mixed with cream-cheese.
There actually is a plant that produces what is known as the "curry 
  leaf", and which *is* used in the preparation of some curries (much 
  the same way as bay leaf is used).  The leaves of this plant, a 
  woody tree from the Asian sub-continent called Murraya Koenigii, 
  also have a strong curry-like smell, and can be purchased dried at 
  most asian markets.  The tree itself has only recently been 
  cultivated commercially in this country, and is carried by only a 
  very few nurseries.  It is still considered an exotic, and commands 
  a premium price.

==========
2.3  Sage
=====
2.3.3  Using / preserving sage
-----
> I have a very healthy sage plant in my garden but I don't know what 
  to use the herb for, except of course for stuffing a chicken.

From: [email-masked] (engels s.m.)
  Stuff a few leaves into the cavity of a trout. Tie with string, baste 
  with a little oil and grill.  Use only 1 or 2 leaves per fish 
  otherwise the sage will overpower the fish.
Chop fine, lightly saute in olive oil with minced garlic.  Add a little 
  chopped parsley & toss with spaghetti or other pasta.  Serve as a 
  side dish to grilled chicken, fish or meat.
Toss a few sage leaves with quartered onion and flattened garlics into 
  clay pot chicken.

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney) 
We use sage for stuffing turkeys in addition to chickens, if you have 
  turkeys in the UK.  We also use it in foccacio... ...Sage pesto is 
  another way to use large quantity of sage and it can be frozen to be 
  used in the winter.  You might use walnuts or pecans instead of the 
  traditional pignoli nuts in pesto as sage is stronger than basil.  
  It goes well with pork or chicken.  You can also roast eggplant and 
  sweet red pepper and food process them together with sage for a nice 
  dip to be used with homemade french bread.

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney) 
Focaccio with Sage
Deriving its name from the Latin word focus, meaning "hearth," focaccia 
  evolved from the unleavened hearth cake eaten during the Middle Ages. 
  It was made by patting the dough into a flat round and cooking it 
  directly on a hot stone or under a mound of hot ashes.  While it has 
  become something of a national dish, this popular bread's true home is 
  the area around Genoa.  It seems as if every seaside resort on the 
  Italian Riviera has its own special focaccia.  Whether soft or crisp,
  thick or thin, the dough is typically flavored with local herbs and 
  olive oil.  
Sponge
  0.5 cup warm water (105 to 115_F)
  1 tsp dry yeast
  0.75 cup unbleached all purpose flour
Place 0.5 cup water in large bowl. Stir in yeast. Let stand until yeast 
  dissolves and mixture is cloudy, about 10 minutes.  Stir in flour. 
  Cover with plastic. Let stand until very bubbly, about 45 minutes.
Focaccia
  1 cup warm water (105 to 115_F)
  1 tsp dry yeast
  0.25 cup plus 2 Tbs olive oil
  3.25 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  3 Tbs finely chopped fresh sage 
Place 1 cup water in small bowl.  Stir in yeast.  Let stand until yeast 
  dissolves and mixture is cloudy, about 10 minutes.  Stir in dissolved 
  yeast mixture and 0.25 cup olive oil into sponge in large bowl.  Stir 
  in 1 cup flour.  Stir in 2 Tbs chopped sage.  Add remaining flour in 2
  batches, mixing until well blended after each additions.  Turn out dough
  onto lightly floured surface.  Knead dough until soft and velvety, 
  about 10 minutes.  
Oil large bowl.  Add dough, turning to coat with oil.  Cover with plastic.
  Let dough rise in warm area until doubled, about 1 hour 15 minutes.  
  Oil 11x17 inch baking sheet.  Punch down dough.  Transfer to prepared 
  sheet.  Using oiled hands, press out dough to cover bottom of pan. 
  Cover dough with kitchen towel.  Let stand 10 minutes (dough will shrink).
  Press out dough again to cover pan.  Cover with towel.  Let rise in warm
  draft free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.  
Meanwhile, position rack in center of oven.  Place baking stone on rack 
  and preheat oven to 425_F.
Using fingertips, press dough all over, creating dimples.  Drizzle dough 
  with 2 Tbs oil.  Sprinkle with 1 Tbs sage.
Place pan directly on pizza stone.  Spray oven with water from spray bottle.
  Bake until focaccia is golden and top is crisp, spraying oven with water 
  twice more during first 10 minutes, about 25 minutes total.  Transfer 
  bread to rack.  Cool slightly.  Serve bread warm or at room temperature.
Makes one foccacia, 4 servings.  Per serving, 400 calories, 13 g protein, 
  87 g carbohydrates, 0 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 
  0 mg cholesterol and 0 mg sodium.
Bon App‚tit, May 1995

From: [email-masked] (Peter Mortimer): 
  It also makes a great addition to just about any green salad, either 
  tossed in as whole leaves or cut up in small pieces.

From: [email-masked] (RGyure):
I discovered last summer that garden sage makes a beautiful and 
  fragrant addition to fresh cut flower bouquets I bring in from the 
  garden. I grow more than I can use in cooking (who uses that much 
  sage?)-- and the pale green, white-frosted somewhat sparkly leaves 
  make delightful foliage for cutting-- and are long-lasting.

From: [email-masked] (VShafer216):
I recently tried a really good recipe that uses fried sage--it tastes 
  great.  Broil chicken thighs (marinate first).  When done, fry 
  several leaves of sage in butter; this takes less than a minute.  
  Grate cheese on top of the chicken thighs. Spoon some of the hot 
  butter over the chicken (this melts the cheese) and put one or two 
  sage leaves on top of each piece of chicken.  Fried sage tastes good 
  even without the chicken.

From: [email-masked] (Judith Rogow) 
  Dried and added to a fire at Thanksgiving or Christmas, it adds a nice 
  Holiday scent to the house.

From: [email-masked] (Leslie Basel) 
  Sage jelly is just terrific with game, lamb, even a Christmas goose.  
  The recipe is just the same as any other herb jelly (and it requires 
  quite a bit of culinary sage). (jelly recipe 4.6.1 below).

From: [email-masked] (MelAtchley)
Decorative:  Leaves in wreaths and nosegays.
Culinary:  Flower in salads or infuse for a light balsamic tea. Leaves 
  can be mixed with onion for poultry stuffing.  Cook with rich, fatty 
  meats such as pork, duck and sausage.  Combine with other strong 
  flavors:  wrap around tender liver and saute in butter; blend into 
  cheeses.  Make sage vinegar and sage butter. 
Household:  Dried leaves in linent to discourage insects.
Medicinal:  Leaves aids in digestion and is antiseptic, antifungal and 
  contains estrogen.  Helps to combat diarrhea.  An infusion of sage 
  leaves and a meal can help digestion.

From: [email-masked] (Dan  Baldwin) 
  I had sage mashed potatoes as a side dish at a five star restaurant 
  last week--they were really good ! There were flecks of sage 
  scattered all through the potatoes--Cant wait to try it myself.

-----
From: [email-masked] (engels s.m.): 
  Sage dries very nicely and looks pretty.  Bundle 8-10 sprigs, tie, hang
  to dry and put a red bow on it at Xmas.  Use as a decoration for 
  wrapped gifts or give as an small culinary gift.

=====
2.3.4  Which sage do you have?
-----
There are a few other plants that are called Sage and that taste very 
  bitter. If your sage is called Artemisia in latin forget the cooking 
  part. If it is Salvia try a leave or two and if the taste is OK just 
  go on and use it.

To illustrate:
From: [email-masked] (Joey L Hanson)
Subject: Re: What's the worse thing you ever ate?
Ever try sage brush tea?  Kind of tastes like you're drinking insect 
  repellent would be the closest thing I can relate to it.  Damndest 
  thing though it made ya spit blue kind of like a smurf trying to get 
  the taste outta your mouth.

==========
2.4  Chives
=====
2.4.2  Harvesting chives
-----
From: ?
I cut my chives back to the ground about three times each summer.  I've
  found that this forces them to send up a whole bunch of replacement
  shoots.  I usually wait to pick a few of the flowers to include in
  arrangements.

From: [email-masked]
> My chives are flowering.  Should I pinch off the flowers so they will 
  not start to die for the winter?
Chives, if well established in the garden, tend to flower in early spring, 
  and sometimes again in mid-summer.  The chive bloosoms make an excellent 
  vinegar, and can be used in baking if pulled apart.  I don't cut my 
  chives back, but let the seed fall to the ground resulting in more chives
  the following year.

=====
2.4.3  Using / preserving chives
----- 
From: [email-masked] (Judith Rogow) Chive Vinegar
When your chives (esp. garlic chives, yummmmmy) are in bloom take four 
  or five of the prettiest stalks w/heads and put them in a clear jar, 
  cover w/white vinegar, cover, and stand in a dark cupboard for about 
  a week. You will have pinkish vinegar w/a heavenly flavour. 
DO, however, watch out that the stalks do not have ants!

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney) 
  It is also possible to make chive pesto.

==========
2.5  Saffron
=====
2.5.1  Growing saffron
-----
From: [email-masked] (Robert G. Nold) 
  Crocus sativus comes up and blooms without autmun rain in Denver, 
and grows throughout the winter here, too. Like all fall-blooming 
crocus (of which there are many species), they go dormant in summer.

=====
2.5.2  Harvesting saffron
-----
From: [email-masked] (Kaycee Curr): 
  ...it is the threads that you would collect and dry. There are three of 
  them (the stigmas) per crocus flower. (Over a million crocus flowers 
  produce a pound of saffron- phew!)

From: [email-masked] (Leslie Paul Davies): 
  In planning your planting, estimate 6 mature plants will provide the 
  stigmas for one small recipe.

=====
2.5.4  Which saffron do you have?
-----
From: [email-masked] (wayne chase): 
  I have recently heard of a substitute for saffron.  Dried Marigolds.  
  Just air dry well and grind to powder.  Use twice the ammount of 
  marigold as saffron to get same result.

From: [email-masked] (Rita Melnick): 
  Saffron comes from crocus sativus, the saffron crocus.  It is a fall  
  blooming crocus.  Each flower contains 3 red threads (stigma) that 
  you pick, then dry, for culinary use.  Be sure to get ONLY crocus 
  sativus, not the other fall-blooming crocuses, as they are NOT 
  edible.
As for the marigolds, I'm not sure if the above advice applies to all 
  varieties of marigolds, but I do know that it is true of the pot 
  marigold, also known as calendula.  It gives the yellow coloring of 
  saffron, but not the saffron taste.  Turmeric is also a yellowing 
  substitute for saffron.  But nothing else tastes like saffron!

==========
2.6  Zucchini flowers
=====
2.6.3  Using zucchini flowers

----- on rec.gardens June 1995:
From: [email-masked]
Zucchini flowers battered and fried are far superior to anything else 
  you can do with Zucchini. Mix water, flour, salt & pepper to a 
  pancake consistancy. If you want a fluffier batter add baking 
  powder. Deep fry and eat them while hot. Tastes like a hint of 
  Zucchini with creamy texture and chees quality. 4 Zucchini plants is 
  3 too many :)

==========
2.7  Chamomile

=====
2.7.1  Growing chamomile
-----

-----
> chamomile as groundcover - any experiences?

[email-masked] (Anne E. Comer)
Chamomile is not usually the recommended choice for *HUGE* areas.  It 
  is sometimes used in mixtures.  By itself it is best used in 
  smallish areas where there will not be heavy foot traffic.  It can 
  stand some walking on and in fact that is one reason that it is used.  
  When troden on it releases a fragrance that is very pleasant to many 
  people.

From: Denise Henry <[email-masked]>
Remember chamomile is not a grass !! This means that selective lawn 
  weedkillers don't work. Make sure ground is well prepared with no 
  perenial weeds and keep the site hand weeded in the first year until 
  the plants grow together, after that you may still need to hand weed 
  two or three times a year. A chamomile lawn is something special, but 
  you can tell it was invented by people of a by-gone age with lots of 
  money and a large supply of garden labourers. Try it in a small area 
  by all means but only if you are prepared for some hard work.
(P.S. I think it is worth the effort.)

From: [email-masked] (Naomi Brokaw)
I like it, but it's not as carefree as some make it sound. I planted it 
  last year (check the sections in the nursery where they sell herbs in 
  flats).  I was worried about mowing it before it got established, so 
  I was going to wait until the cooler weather.  Of course, this year, 
  "cooler weather" meant about 7 months of rain (I'm just south of you, 
  in Santa Cruz), so I could mow.  The camomile reached up, up, sending 
  sun-seeking stems into my lavender, rock roses, rosemary, and yarrow.  
  By the time I finally found the time and weather to mow, it was way 
  too high, so I had to clip down by hand. That meant taking out most 
  of the green stems and leaving the brown mat underneath.  However, it 
  did grow back the green within a few weeks, much faster than I 
  feared.
It also has a tendency to die in patches, leaving brown again. Ugly 
  while it lasts, but if you pull out the brown, the green will close 
  in again in a few weeks. 
I like the smell, but a lot of people find it cloying.  On the other 
  hand, you only smell it if you walk on it or cut it.
I tried mowing it a couple of weeks ago, with our rotary mower. Only a 
  partial success.  Our mower, which is probably dull, though sharp 
  enough for the weeds out back, tends to pull up  some of the camomile 
  clumps, instead of cutting them cleanly.
All in all, I'll use it again, but be aware of the drawbacks before you 
  embrace it.  It's a walkable ground-cover with a pleasant color that 
  is nowhere near as thirsty as grass. Oh, it doesn't do well in medium 
  to heavy shade.  And bees love the flowers, so if you don't want a 
  lot of bees (I love them), don't plant a lot of chamomile.

=====
2.7.3  Using / preserving Chamomile

----- tea:
From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Clayton) 
For tea, use the blossoms only.  Harvest when they are in full bloom.

----- hair rinse:
> I've been told that a chamomile infusion used in the hair will bring
  out highlights.  Does anyone have a recipe for this?  Thanks! 

From: [email-masked] (Graham Sorenson)
Two methods come to mind immediatly.
One is to get some chamomile tea (loose or bags) and make a strong 
  infusion. Or about five drops of Chamomile essential oil in a bowl of 
  water. Then rinse hair with the result leaving for a while before 
  rinsing out.

From: [email-masked] (Judith Rogow) 
  Chamomile Tea - very strong - is a wonderful hair rinse for shine and
  a glint of sunlight.

From: Annette
>.. seeking chamomile recipe for lightening hair..
I'm Annette using another person's number but I thought I'd respond to 
  your question.  Basically, just make a good strong tea with chamomile 
  and put into a pout where you can stick your head in. Let tea cool for 
  awhile and then stick your head in (can you read upside down?) and 
  stay for 5-10 minutes, do weekly and hopefully you will see lightening.

=====
2.7.4  Which chamomile do you have?
-----

From: [email-masked] (Anne E. Comer)
The German chamomile,  Matricaria recutita is an annual and will reseed 
  itself.  Obviously this means that it flowers.  It is probably the 
  best kind if you want to harvest the flowers for tea.
Roman Chamomile, Chamaemelum nobile, is perennial, probably the most 
  used form for lawns also flowers.
English Chamomile, Chamaemelum nobile 'Treneague', is non-flowering and 
  is very good for lawns and pathways but it must be grown from cuttings
  as there is no  flower, thus no seed.
All three kinds are available from Richters.

==========