Subject: Re: Please recommend spices/herbs/fruit extracts for drinks

From: [email-masked] (scarrol)
Date: 10 Sep 1995 17:45:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]^ says...
>
>I like fruity beers personally. In Belgium, they make a raspberry flavored
>beer called "Kriek à la framboise". I also tasted an apricot flavored beer
>from Northern California the other day that I liked. As far as beer with
>spices or herbs, it sounds a little weirder but might be a good idea. I
>had a hot chili mexican beer once (or South Western?) which was indeed
>HOT!!! I guess I would be interested in tasting a beer made with thyme.
>But I can't think of any spices which would go well with beer, except
>maybe anise? 
>
>Anne

I like fruity beer too!

---

From: Poppy Wood Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Sep 1995 13:10:47 GMT

Quinine glows in the dark.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bella Kinney)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 1995 09:48:00 -0640

-> . As far as beer
-> with spices or herbs, it sounds a little weirder but might be a good
-> idea. I had a hot chili mexican beer once (or South Western?) which
-> was indeed HOT!!! I guess I would be interested in tasting a beer
-> made with thyme. But I can't think of any spices which would go well
-> with beer, except maybe anise?

   If I might suggest perhaps Galengale? I made a liquer of
Galengale,Gentian,Nutmeg,Cinnamon, Licorice and Ginger  Roots. It was
Fun and Tasty; though it was the sort of drink you have one of or use as
a mixer. I was going for maximum Zing in my liquer but for a beer I
would think a body might want something less exuberant. One ounce of the
beverage I made, tended to encourage a light state of hilarity. I enjoy
it in my coffee occasionally as a self remedy for brooding or excessive
sarcasm.
           Spoerke's Book "Herbal Medications" informs one that
Galengale "contains a type of oleoresin containing an oily principle
called galengol...This agent ia a stimulant aromatic similar to ginger.
        Miller's book "The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs" discribes
Galengale and suggests that the root is used hallucinogenicly by people
abiding in several parts of New Guinea. I usually buy galengale at
indian or asian specialty shops where it is a favored seasoning. The
Favor is like a cross between ginger and cinnamon.   Bella

---

From: [email-masked] (Mecurial9)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 14:01:06 GMT

[email-masked] (Lauretta Nagel) wrote:

>Dill might be OK.

>Anything lemony/lime-like....after all most folks put a slice of
>lemon in their Coronas (yeah, I know it has very little taste, but
>the lemon ought to work).

>Lauretta Nagel

Lauretta,

It is more proper to put LIME in the Corona.... I drink it this way
and like it alot...

---

From: "Mary f (Pud in Pavlova's kitchen)" <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Sep 1995 16:54:03 GMT

[email-masked] (scarrol) wrote:
>>from Northern California the other day that I liked. 
<snip>
>>Anne>

We used to go to a beer place in DC, the Brick Skeller, that had
beers from all over the world.  My favorite was the european
one (german I think) that had raspberry syrup in the bottom.

Probably explains why I like lager and lime. :-)

Mary f   _       _
        ( \     ( \
     |\  ) ) _,,,\ )~,,_
    /, -. `'      .  ;-;;,_
   |,4-    ,_,,,.,_ (   `'-'
  '-~~''(_/  '  `  \_)
 It's a widdle pud

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 12:11:23

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Rich Fortnum) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Rich Fortnum)
>Subject: Please recommend spices/herbs/fruit extracts for drinks
>Date: Wed, 06 Sep 1995 13:21:15 -0400

>What would you recommend from the group of spices?
>What would you recommend from the group of herbs?
>What would you recommend from the group of fruit, obtained by either
>extraction or pulvurization?

OK, everyone else has proposed the flavouring of their dreams so I might as 
well add my 2 oeres worth.

I suggest juniper berries. When I was a kid I used to drink a kind of low 
alcoholic beer with this flavouring. Cold juniper berry ale on a hot summer day
is yummy.

I came into contact with this brew in Smaaland in southern Sweden and I believe
that juniper berry beers were made in several parts of Scandinavia in the 
olden days.

A book on swedish beer history suggests that the beverage in question was
mashed in with 15% malt (the rest being berries) and that it was sweetened
by saccarine.

Regards,
Mikael Larsson

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray Bruman)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 15:39:29 GMT

Poppy Wood Smith ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Quinine glows in the dark.

Surely you mean that it fluoresces under UV -- don't you?
Why else would it glow in the dark?
-- 
Ray Bruman                                             [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Hal Laurent)
Date: 12 Sep 1995 20:47:54 GMT

Well *someone* has to be the curmudgeon here, I guess it'll have to be 
me. :-)

As far as *I'm* concerned, *none* of this stuff is beer!  It's beer 
flavored with other substances!  If you want a more interesting tast in 
your beer, why not go for beers with more hops (my personal favorite) or 
more malt?  All of this fruit stuff is for the yuppies and kids that 
infest my favorite bar on Friday and Saturday nights.  (1/2 :-) )

--
=============================================================
Hal Laurent               | Home: [email-masked]          
Baltimore Maryland USA    | Work: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Westrate)
Date: 13 Sep 1995 23:01:07 GMT

I've heard that a drink made of 1 part Midori and 1 part vodka will glow
when it is shined on by a strong light, but I have never seen it myself.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim)
Date: 14 Sep 1995 01:19:12 GMT

>  ThaNKYOU ALL FOR THE INFO ON FLORESCENT DRINKS  BUT WHAT I AM LOOKING
>FOR IS LUMINESCENT (GLOW IN THE DARK).   PUTTING A CALUMNA STICK IN A
>GLASS WORKS BUT DOESN'T LOOK THE SAME.  HOW TOXIC IS THAT LIQUID? ANY
>DOCTORS OR CHEMISTS HERE??     robert

We use and still do, Calumna sticks in the Coast Guard.  The ones we use 
are non-toxic.  I would refrain from pouring these into a drink because 
to light them off you have to break a capsule which shatters inside the 
stick.  My friend drank one one time and the only thing that happened to 
him is that he was labeled "Crazy."
-- 
Jim Fayard,
If I have misspelled something or used the wrong syntax...oh well!
http://www.ionet.net/~gator/index.shtml

---

From: Chuck <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Sep 1995 02:05:58 GMT

First you gotta do megadoses of acid, I hear that always works!

---

From: [email-masked] (Yet Another Steve)
Date: 14 Sep 1995 17:23:04 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Poppy Wood Smith
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> OOPS! What was I thinking?

Are we supposed to guess?  If so, please give some clues as to when you 
had this thought, a few of the circumstances and so on... I hope it's not, 
like, a number between 1 and 30,000,000.

Steve

---

From: [email-masked] (Camille Gleaton)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 20:43:04 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, Ralf Schwedler
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> [email-masked] (robert ) wrote:
> >  
> > Does anyone know of any mixed-drinks (alcoholic) that glow
> >(luminescent).  Chemicals are ok as long as they are non toxic. I know
> >of one luminescent bacteria but I don't think the enviornment would
> >support it.     robert
> 
> Try gin tonic and a decent UV lamp. No need for any bacteria.
> Next step step of the research would be whether it's the gin or the tonic :-)

It's the tonic water that glows under black light. (Quite a beautiful
shade of electric blue, at that.)  Has something to do with the quinine...

~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~
Camille Gleaton
"I'm sorry it wasn't unicorns. It would 
 have been nice to have unicorns."  
--Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~

---

From: [email-masked] (Joe Formanek)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 12:43:07 +0800

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Rich Fortnum) wrote:

> I am a brewer.  I am interested to see what people would consider to be
> great in a very fine drink, namely beer.  I have won awards for my beer,
> and am tinkering with other high gravity products in the future.  
> 
> Fruit beers can be excellent, but take time and a lot of money to make. 
> However, they sell very well.
> 
 
Really, your use of spices/fruit/etc. depends in a large part on the type
of beer that you are making. A wit beer classically has coriander and 
curacao orange, among other spices. Belgian lambic styles can use various
fruits/berries, usually the more unusual the better. A lot of brewpubs down
here make a raspberry wheat that is very popular with the non-beer initiated, 
but is rather non-descript to those accustomed to stronger flavored styles.
I usually just experiment and see what tastes best--I hate recipes!

As far as fruit goes, extraction is more cost efficient, but pulverized/
steeped fruit gives the best flavor--much more complex.

Just my $0.02.

Joe

Oh, BTW---See Rachel--I DID post on your group!