Subject: Re: Junk Mail

From: [email-masked] (Administration)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 1995 13:23:52 GMT

[email-masked] (Paul Iannone) wrote:

>There are a variety of commercial services out there in our new 'all
>commercial Internet providers world' who don't care less. You will only see
>me attack ads in the newsgroup when this kind of non-response from a
>postmaster makes it necessary. Too bad we have to waste the bandwidth to
>fight ads, but attacking them in the newsgroup is the only option some times.

>On a side note, AOL seems to be 90% of all ad posters' service. They do a
>very poor job of instructing their subscribers what is allowable where.
>Misericordia!

The majority stockholder in AOL is SPRINT who, together with MCI, own
virtually the entire Internet backbone.  The NSF's financial support
and involvement with the Internet officially ended on May 1.  The Net
*IS* a commercial entity now.  The solution:  (1) moderated news
groups (not for the sake of censorship but merely to keep the tons of
utterly unrelated junk ads out; and (b) the Web, where YOU decide
exactly where you go and what you'll see -- if you don't like the
commercial tone of a site, you can go somewhere else.  Try to get rid
of offensive posts is like swatting flies -- they just keep coming.

Respectfully,
Richard De A'Morelli
Spectrum Universal

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Iannone)
Date: 22 Jul 1995 06:46:23 GMT

In message ID <[email-masked]> on 7/21/95,
[email-masked] wrote:

: I recently posted a message on this newsgroup suggesting a possible
: treatment  for someone with glaucoma.  As a result I got a junk mail
: message from someone 
: 
: trying to sell me stuff.  I complained to their postmaster who wrote
: back that 
: 
: they didn't care what their subscribers did on their system.
: 
: In 8 years on the Internet, I have never encountered personal junk
: mail where  a postmaster did not express a willingness to put a stop
: to it.  We all know  that bandwidth is limited
: 
: Is anyone else getting junk mail as a result of posting on this
: newsgroup?   Has netiquette changed to allow it?  Is there any way
: to stop it?
: 
: Mehturt

--Paul  ||  [email-masked]
--