Subject: Re: Spontaneous Abortion & Herbs

From: [email-masked] (Annika McCann)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 11:18:44 -0500

There are a bunch of herbs which should be avoided during pregnancy
because they are too stimulating to the uterus and could cause
miscarriage. There is another class of herbs (with some overlap with the
above) which women have taken to try to cause a miscarriage. This fails
more often than it works, IMO, and is nothing to fool around with. If a
woman wants to attempt an herbal abortion, she needs to have access to an
experienced herbalist and be well aware of the risks. Some herbs which
have been used are cottonroot bark, blue cohosh, and pennyroyal (not
oil!). I have seen it work, when it's tried early enough. There's
disagreement even among the most expert herbalists, some of whom believe
that an herbal abortion is harder on a woman's body than a regular
abortion. Also, some say it rarely works, while others have a lot of
success.
-Annika

---

From: celticblue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 15:34:46 EST

yes, pennyroyal would do it (for some; not for others)
also used in "recipes" for herbal abortion:
black cohosh root
tansy
feverfew
parsley
red sage
dong quai
southernwood

don't try this at home, kids...until you know your body's response to the
herbs in question, it is wiser to leave it be. try a small amount, see 
how you hold up...
also not recommended to try the herbal approach after seven weeks...
(get a pregnancy test first; a REAL one, not at home)

On 25 Jan 1996, Paul Iannone wrote:

> In message ID <[email-masked]> on 1/24/96, Neill A. Borowski
> wrote:
> 
> : I know nothing of herbs ...
> : However, my daughter (freshman in high school) mentioned to the teacher 
> : in health class today that she heard some relatives talking of an herb 
> : that causes miscarriages. The teacher laughed at her, saying there is no 
> : such thing. Just wondering if any of you herbal experts know what this 
> : herb might be. 
> : 
> : Thanks.
> 
> What a miserable place to learn about health!
> 
> Teach has never heard of pennyroyal. Here we go again.
> 
> --Paul  ||  [email-masked]
> --
> 
>