Subject: Re: Benefits of eating raw garlic?

From: [email-masked] (Paul Iannone)
Date: 07 Oct 1995 14:41:05 GMT

In message ID <[email-masked]> on 10/6/95, CArtEffect wrote:

: For three or four days afterwards, I
: had the worst case of heartburn I ever had in my life.

Garlic is a Hot herb. If you had this reaction, you probably have a Hot
Stomach. Are you skipping or delaying meals? Have strong sweet cravings? Feel
tired a lot? Drink coffee?

I wholeheartedly agree--garlic is not for everyone. Putting it in capsules
makes no difference, other than that dry garlic is somewhat less Hot.

--Paul  ||  [email-masked]
--

---

From: [email-masked] (CArtEffect)
Date: 6 Oct 1995 13:34:29 -0400

I agree with all the benefits attributed to garlic, but made a terrible
mistake one day. Just want to share this for anyone thinking about doing
it. I was reading a lengthy article and some other chapters in a book
about all the benfits of garlic. The article said many people ate raw
garlic. I like garlic, so I thought I would give it a try. Now, before I
go on, I want to qualify that I may have had something wrong with my
stomach at the time to attribute to this reaction. I'm not trying to
downplay garlic, just warn people to think first. I fixed a bowl of broth
type soup (some noodle I think) and put three or four large split garlic
cloves in the bowl and microwaved. It was really a stupid thing to do, so
no one has to write and tell me so. For three or four days afterwards, I
had the worst case of heartburn I ever had in my life. I couldn't take
anything to relieve it and I nearly went to the doctor. All of that
settled down when a week or so later I started having severe gall bladder
type pains. Every test in the world was done but they could never really
say what was the matter, including gall bladder. I sheepishly told my
doctor what I had done and all he could suggest was that I might have had
a mild stomack irritation that the garlic overwhelmingly aggrivated. So
people, you know your stomachs and what they will take. Some people could
digest nails, others not. Think about that first. Garlic is a great herb,
but I guess it's in capsules for a reason. 
CArtEffect