Subject: Re: Please help...Irritable Bowel Syndrome/La

From: [email-masked] (Paul Iannone)
Date: 23 Jul 1995 06:33:32 GMT

In message ID <[email-masked]> on 7/22/95, Charles Swett
wrote:

: [email-masked] (Lev) wrote:
: 
: >I have several patients w/ IBS and have a few things to add to the great
: >advice you've gotten so far.  There is a Chinese patent formulation called
: >Bu Zhong Yi Qi Wan which has proved very helpful whether it manifests as
: >constipation or as diarrhea.   The other is something called enteric
: >peppermint oil.  That is peppermint oil that is heavily coated so as not
: >to break open in the stomach but further down in the intestinal/ bowel
: >tracts.

Bu Zhong Yi Qi Wan is NOT appropriate to all cases of IBS. Conditions of IBS
caused by Liver Qi Stagnation will be further hindered by Qi Boosting. If
conditions of Dryness are exacerbating the IBS, this formula adds insult to
injury.

: >Most of my clients are absolutely amazed how much it helps.  Though you
: >can make a decoction (v. strong tea) from peppermint leaves, it's no where
: >near as effective as the enteric oil.  You may have a bit of trouble
: >finding it though.  If you do, please advise and I'll try to help out.

Peppermint oil is Cool in property, and will make IBS due to Cold or Qi
Depletion worse, not better.

: >Lev Fedyniak, ND
: 
: I have been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome for 20 years,
: manifesting as chronic constipation.  But I found an absolutely
: amazing way of eliminating ALL symptoms -- an incredible chinese tea
: called "Dieter's Green Tea," available in Oriental groceries.  It
: consists of malva verticellata and loquat leaf.  One cup right after
: lunch, one cup right after dinner, and NO constipation whatsoever.
: It's not a laxative.  Also, a terrific side benefit -- very slow but
: noticeable weight loss. j

NOT LAXATIVE? Malva ('Cheeseweed'; Dong2 kui2 zi3) IS considered a diuretic
laxative (see --A Barefoot Doctor's Manual--, Kariyone & Kimura,
--Japanese-Chinese Medicinal Plants (their constituents and medical uses), or
Keys, --Chinese Herbs, their Botany, Chemistry, and Pharmacodynamics--).
Malva's mild purgative and diuretic quality is the basis of the 'diet'
effect, and, mild or not, it is not necessarily a healthful thing if you are
in a condition of mixed Accumulation and Depletion, which is what IBS usually
is. Malva is related to Marshmallow, an emollient herb that can assist in
conditions of irritation and Heat (such as is present in some cases of IBS).
As a demulcent herb, however, Malva will make IBS due to Damp--worse.

Your patients need better diagnosis and treatment from you.

--Paul  ||  [email-masked]
--