Subject: Re: Herbal Shops?

From: [email-masked] (Vinay Bhodia)
Date: 28 Aug 1995 23:18:40 GMT

I would like to know alternative medicines besides what we have done in my mother's
case. Any suggestion to what combinations of herbs to be used in the following 
case -- patient is being treated in Bombay, India

My mother was recently diagnosed with adeno-carcinoma lung cancer.  They could
not find any tumour in the whole body. The did broncoscopy, sonograpy tests and
bone scan tests. But couldn't find tumour. 
There is pleural fluid in her left lung upto 1/4 of the lung. When they tested this
fluid, they found cancer cells. Every thing else like, liver, kidney, heart are in 
excellent shape. Blood contains 15% hemoglobin.

We have given her one session of chemotherapy using the drug cisplatin 3 weeks 
ago. The next chemotherapy is scheduled next week. 

Since, there is no tumour, there is no question of surgery or radiation therapy.
They say they have found  patchy cosolidation in the lateral segment of the
right lower lobe (49-51) in her left lung.

ABout the pleural fluid test:
Smears reveal numerous ball-like clusters and fronds of cohesive round to oval
tumour cells. The cells possess granular or vacuolated cytoplasm and large 
coarsely hyperchromatic nuclei. Fair number of small lymphocytes are seen over
the hemorrhagic background.

After the first chemotherapy seesion, for few days she had lost her hunger and some
vomitting and some swelling in arms and back. We are giving her high doses of vitamins and lots of fruit juice and nuts. Recently, we have started to give her
calcium supplements.

What do you think of this case? Can she be cured? How can we get rid of the 
pleural fluid in the first place?! What are are her long term survival chances keeping
in mind the effects of chemotherapy. 

Many thanks in advance.