Subject: RAT POISON:HERBAL HALL WWW Page

From: [email-masked] (Hank Ausband)
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 95 04:32:25 GMT

HTTP://www.crl.com/~robbee/herbal/html is a great link. Described as a 
Discussion List for Professional Herbalists" 

BUT BEWARE THE FACTS:
	 Rob McCaleb posted an UPDATE ON EPHEDRA SCRUTINY IN TEXAS, I agree 
with 99% of his article. But when challenged on his comparison on Vanilla 
planifolia he sent mail 08/06/95 that it had been corrected.  To date it has 
NOT. 
	His Quote: "Vanilla extract is another highly concentrated food 
substitute, one used strictly for flavor and aroma. Compared to vanilla beans 
it contains a concentrated level of the toxic compound coumarin, the same 
chemical as Rat Poison. Coumarin is an anticoagulant, which in sufficient 
quantities causes spontaneous hemhorrhage".
	IMHO This is totaly erroneous.  Coumarin is extracted from Tonka 
beans, Dipteryx odorata, a natural source of coumarin.  Tonka is used in cheap 
"vanilla extract" from Mexico.  Coumarin, or it's synthetic, is used as a 
blood thinner for heart patients and also for RAT POISON. Vanilla takes 7 
years to produce a flower. Not very economical as a RAT POISON.
	I feel I must post this because  Mr. McCaleb  said it had been 
corrected and it was not. 
	I encourage you to visit this page, a wealth of info, but read this 
information with an open mind.      

Hank Ausband, any comments appreciated.  
  
An education is not what you know, but what you can read......

---

From: Michael Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Aug 1995 20:38:36 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Hank Ausband, [email-masked] writes:
>Path: mack.rt66.com!bug.rahul.net!a2i!genmagic!sgigate.sgi.com!swrinde>    !howland.reston.ans.net!newsfeed.internetmci.com!usenet.eel.ufl.edu>    !news.gmi.edu!zombie.ncsc.mil!news.duke.edu!news-server.ncren.net!news
>From: [email-masked] (Hank Ausband)
>Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs
>Subject: RAT POISON:HERBAL HALL WWW Page
>Date: Wed, 09 Aug 95 04:32:25 GMT
>Organization: Mars Hill College
>Lines: 26
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>NNTP-Posting-Host: citrix.mhc.edu
>X-Newsreader: News Xpress Version 1.0 Beta #3
>

Be patient...this is the peak of the season for outside things.  Rob (the
writer) has acknowledged the error in the listserv but is all around the
country doing American Botanical Council stuff and perhaps hasn't had time
to make revisions.  Rob (a different one) that runs the website does it
for
the principle (not for money), and is politically active AND a beekeeper.
Making major changes in html formats for those of us who are not too adept
at it (I myself seem TOTALLY incompetant to date) can take a little time.
Most of the web is STILL run by intended part-timers, with no financial
involvement, and sometimes other things come up and the site has to wait.

Michael Moore ([email-masked])

(FTP and WWW)
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/
Southwest-School-of-Botanical-Medicine/
(WWW)
http://www.crl.com/~robbee/herbal.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------
All the SWSBM teaching and clinical manuals, JPEGs of Medicinal Plant
photographs and class announcements can be obtained at these sites.