Subject: Re: Ma Huang/Ephedra need info

From: [email-masked] (Jennifer B. Jakiel)
Date: 7 Oct 1995 22:42:32 -0700

Paul Iannone ([email-masked]) wrote:
: On 10/7/95 at 2:57 PM, Paul Iannone wrote:

: : You may have to factor in that the synthetic preparations don't
: : contain the same ephedrine as the plants (may be less bioactive?).
: : Where did you get the information that a cup of ephedra tea has 1.5
: : mg of ephedrine? Sounds very suspiciously low.

The box of tea lists the active ingredient as simply "ephedrines 1.5mg."  The
OTC says "pseudoephedrine sulfate 120mg." 

(BTW, I'm using Traditional Medicines Breathe Easy, if anyone's interested.) 

: My references give .3-2% (by weight). The usual dose of ephedra in a
: decoction is 2-6 grams per cup (per Tierra, --Planetary Herbology--, it isn't
: used singly in East-Asian Traditional Healing), giving (by my math, help!) a
: range of from 6 mg (a very mild cup, with inferior grade -Ephedra sinica-) 

Must be what I'm using... *grins* 

to
: a potentially whopping <<<<120 mg!>>>> 

: Personally, I would recommend peppermint tea as a better 'dessicant' for most
: American colds.

My preference as well.  As I stated, I only used three cups of the ma huang.
Probably used as much or more than that of the peppermint.

: --Paul  ||  [email-masked]

-jen

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Iannone)
Date: 07 Oct 1995 22:24:09 GMT

On 10/7/95 at 2:57 PM, Paul Iannone wrote:

: You may have to factor in that the synthetic preparations don't
: contain the same ephedrine as the plants (may be less bioactive?).
: Where did you get the information that a cup of ephedra tea has 1.5
: mg of ephedrine? Sounds very suspiciously low.

My references give .3-2% (by weight). The usual dose of ephedra in a
decoction is 2-6 grams per cup (per Tierra, --Planetary Herbology--, it isn't
used singly in East-Asian Traditional Healing), giving (by my math, help!) a
range of from 6 mg (a very mild cup, with inferior grade -Ephedra sinica-) to
a potentially whopping <<<<120 mg!>>>> 

...which is exactly what is in the pharmaceutical, according to your
numbers--and if you take --eight-- cups of a strong brew you would be getting
potentially 3/4 of a gram of ephedrine (and related isomers)! Enough to Dry
your sinuses and turn your face inside-out, I'm sure.

Personally, I would recommend peppermint tea as a better 'dessicant' for most
American colds.

--Paul  ||  [email-masked]
--