Subject: Re: Sinus Infections

From: Lazlo Toth <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Aug 1995 00:20:49 GMT

>My mom uses a saline wash....mix comfortably warm water and
salt until it
>is as saline as tears (I check this by taste) in a bowl or
large mouthed
>cup.  Stand over a sink (I do this in the shower, the steam and
warmth of
>the shower also seems to help) and inhale the saline through
your nose,
>one nostril at a time, or both, it's up to you.

My grandfather farmed all his life and never went to a doctor for 
illness. When he finally did got to a hospital for heart surgery, 
he died . . .

Anyways, I inherited his vulnerability to dust and pollen 
allergy attacks. I suffered through childhood asthma and, later 
in life, endured frequent sinus/respiratory infections. That is, 
until grandaddy showed me his secret preventative - - the above 
described routine! He did this every morning, afternoon, and 
night. Although grandmama teased him about it, there was no 
doubting his amazing level of health and vigor.

Simple and effective. By the way, I use baking soda in place of 
table salt - - dissolves faster.

-- 
There's a lot to learn
>from  wasting time.

-Neil Young

---

From: Rusty Rae <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Aug 1995 18:40:18 GMT

> By the way, I use baking soda in place of 

	Salt is important to include because our body fluids are
comprised of salt water -- so we need to use the close approximation
of what's already there.

	I, too, use baking soda, but as a buffering agent so the
rinse doesn't sting.

	The receipe is 

		1/2 tsp salt
		1/2 tsp baking soda
		1 pint warm water

	Rinse as often as needed during the day -- and at least 3X.
This regime has kept my sinus infections at bay; when I rinse less 
than 3X/day they return. I use 12 oz of water at a time and an ear
bulb to administer the saline solution.

			Sheila