Subject: Re: Panic Attacks-Need Help

From: [email-masked] (Jennifer B. Jakiel)
Date: 7 Oct 1995 22:33:41 -0700

: In article <[email-masked]>,
:    [email-masked] (JOSEPH RIZZI) wrote:
: >My sister in law is almost incapacitated by panic attacks. She has to
: >work, but can't drive because it always brings on attacks. Doctors have
: >had her on every kind of anti-depressant, tranquilizers, etc. that you
: >can imagine. She's on Xanax 3 times a day now, still can't drive, and
: >wants to get off of them. Can anyone out there help her.It's going to
: >take something better than Chammomile tea and warm baths. Need
: >something stronger but, hopefully, not addictive or causing grogginess.
: >Would appreciate an E-Mail as well as a posting for others to help.
: >                                          Dani

To follow up on what somebody else said... I too suffered incapacitating
panic attacks as a teenager.  I was on Xanax, and in probably the same
dosages.  It did nothing for me but increase the intensity of the attacks
each time they wore off.  I found my cure through hypnosis and an eventual
complete revamping of my lifestyle... eventually becoming my own person
and becoming comfortable with that person.  I had about five sessions with
a trained hypnotherapist, then took those techniques out of the office and
after about two years had completely conquered my illness.  I am a stronger
person for it, and I'm sure your sister-in-law will be as well, if and when
she is able to bring her illness under control.  

Hope this helps, and good luck to you!

-jen

---

From: [email-masked] (Sandy)
Date: 9 Oct 1995 06:53:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (Jennifer B. Jakiel) writes:

> I had about five sessions with
> after about two years had completely conquered my illness.

I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I read an article in hmmm...
The National Enquirer or The Reader's Digest, not sure which, which
said that physicians have been treating panic attacks with either a
vitamin or a new drug, I forget which!  But had excellent cure rates.

Argh!  How insubstantial!  BUT, I read about it just in the last two
weeks or so, so you wouldn't have to look into TOO  many back issues to
find the article, <g>.  This is just in case hypnosis doesn't work,
because I know that although people have tried, I just can't be
hypnotized...

---

From: [email-masked] (SoloDoc)
Date: 9 Oct 1995 10:22:57 -0400

Have had some results with diaphragmatic breathing practice before on a
regular basis and then more effective for attacks. I have heard reports of
up to 70% response rate with NO side effects of cost. At least work a try.