Subject: Re: Dong Quai in pregnancy

From: Michael Wedge <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jan 1996 06:09:49 GMT

Dong qui is a Chinese herb that has two primary functions from the Chinese 
medical perspective.  It acts as a blood mover and a blood builder. 
Technically, since dong gui is a blood mover, it would be contraindicated 
during pregnancy.  That being said, dong gui is used during pregnancy, 
especially in China, apparently without any problem, but keep in mind that 
Chinese herbs are rarely used by themselves, but rather mixed into 
formulas containing a variety of herbs to bring balance to the formula.  
There may be 20 or more herbs in a Chinese herbal formula.  Additionally, 
when dong gui is used in Chinese formulas, is is prescribed in the dose 
range of 3 - 10 grams usually,  I would guess that the dose you are 
talking about is so small that it probably would not be a problem, and in 
fact is probably not high enough to offer much of a therapeutic benefit 
(at least a therapeutic benefit as described by Chinese Medicine).  One 
final word, it is generally best to avoid any herbal supplements during 
pregnancy, and if they are taken, they should be prescribed by someone 
familiar with them.

This is not a recommendation to take dong qui while pregnant.  

Dr. Mike, M.Ac.O.M., DCH, L.Ac.