Subject: Vanadium:Chromium:Ascorbyl Palmitate

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 05:51:37 GMT

1.  Vanadium:  Vanadium is involved with stabilizing hemoglobin from 
oxidation and is further involved in functions related to growth and 
reproduction.  It is presumed essential, and can be found in
shellfish, 
mushrooms, parsley, and black pepper.  Adverse effects are associated 
with excessive dietary intake.  Symptoms include diarrhea, anorexia,
and 
tingling.

2.  Chromium:  Chromium functions to maintain normal glucose use.  It
is 
a component fo glucose tolerance factor, a complex that facilitates 
glucose utilization.  Chromium is found in liver, fish, whole grains,
and 
milk.  Grains that have been refined lose chromium potency.  The
product 
is relatively benign with no reported side effects.
3.  Ascorbyl palmitate:  Ascorbyl palmitate is a salt form of ascorbic

acid.  It is necessary for the biosynthesis of collagen, osteoid, and 
dnetin.  It further assists in the absorption of nonheme iron from
food 
and is further known for its anti-oxidant properties.  It can be found
in 
amounts in broccoli, green and red peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, and 
citrus fruits.  Adverse effects are usually seen with mega doses of 
vitamin C.  This can precipitate kidney stones.

Source: University of Maryland Medical Research Dept.