Subject: Re: "quitting nicotine?!"

From: kschad
Date: 29 Aug 1995 12:59:34 GMT

>   Dog writes:
>  
>  
>  >  
>  >  Try buying some herbal cigaretts and smoking those.  That way you can get 
>  >  over the nicotine addiction without having to break the secondary 
>  >  addiciton at the same time.  Herbal cigaretts cost more, but from what 
>  >  I've seen, after the first few days you won't smoke nearly as many so you 
>  >  won't be spending so much money.
>  >  
>     If herbal cigaretts don't have nicotine,  do they have tar?  Are there any
>     health concerns from smoking these.  I think I would like to try some.
>  
>>>>
I got some at Stag Tobacco...not too bad..but lots stronger than my lil Virginia Slims! (g)
....I just hope no one thinks I'm smokin' something "funny"!! hehehehehe

Kari

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kari Schad                                
[email-masked]               
Bright Blessings!                       
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Jenny Lomax)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 16:39:39 +0000

the thing that I found the hardest/best thing to deal with when I gave up
tobacco 6 months ago was the fact that I gained time - all those little
periods spent sat having a cig mounted up quite dramatically. I found that
doing the things that I did not associate with smoking
(showering,typing,cooking,rockclimbing,anything) fills the time and so
have becoime far more active through having to fill the time I had spare,
short of becoming exceedingly bored. Give up and do more I think is the
best advice that I could give to those not understanding the mental
adjustment needed to beat an addiction......I was lucky in the sense that
I was told how to give up by changing my thought process.Every time you
have a craving think that it is a positive thing that you are beating a
craving by not smoking, as every time you ignore that urge you are one
step closer to being cured. It gets easier.

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Benjamin)
Date: 30 Aug 1995 10:05:35 -0400

>>  >  addiciton at the same time.  Herbal cigaretts cost more, but from what 
	I tried this, and found that it helped me only a little.  What I wound
up doing was going for a run every time I felt that I just _had_ to go for a
cig....  It actually helped a lot!  I could throw all my frustration into
foward motivation, and basically beat the living shit out of myself.  
Afterwards I didn't feel the need for a cig. as much.  Also, the pain in my
lungs brought on by the running helped remind me of why I wanted to quit.

>....I just hope no one thinks I'm smokin' something "funny"!! hehehehehe
	The herbal cigs. that I tried were some blend of Yerba Santa and
a bunch of other 'smoking' herbs.  They somehow managed to smell almost 
exactly like a joint.  Everywhere I went I got really wierd looks, and
some people actually would stop me on the street and comment!

>Kari
			---Tom Benjamin, EMT-B, WEMT