Subject: Re: Butcher's Broom

From: [email-masked] (CB Leek)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 17:39:05 GMT

Gregg Pond <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me what are common uses for Butcher's Broom (Ruscus 
>aculeatus). Like a fool I bought it thinking it was Broom (Sarothamnus 
>scoparius) and I was going to use it to help my golden retriever with her 
>heart disease. But since it is not the same I am reluctant to use it. All 
>of my references do not reference this herb. Any help would be appreciated.
> There is no need to post it here unless you feel everyone will benifit 
>from the information. My e-mail is [email-masked]. Thankyou
Check 'The A to Z Guide to Healing Herbal Remedies' by Elias &
Masline.  According to them, it is used in Europe 'for reducing leg
discomfort due to poor circulation' and that 'an ointment made from
butcher's-broom can relieve painful hemorrhoids'.

This was the only place I found info on it that I have.  It's not even
in John Lust's 'The Herb Book', nor is it in Bremness' 'Complete Book
of Herbs', or Hoffman's 'Herbal Handbook'.  And FWIW, Richter's
catalog doesn't carry it - and they seem to have everything!  (No, I'm
not with Richter's, just recently got their catalog for first time!)

Good luck.
--
*** Conserve Energy: Laughter is easier than Anger!
*** [email-masked], Goose Bay, Labrador