Subject: Re: Sunburn!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 95 17:05:00 EST

>I just got a bad sunburn on my chest from this past HOT weekend.  Last
>night, it started itching like crazy.  I tried everything, but it
>wouldn't stop.  Finally, I applied the juice of an aloe vera plant we had
>in the house.  The itching reduced to a minimum within a few minutes.
>Thank goodness!  Does anyone know of any other herbal treatments for
>sunburn?  Thanks...
>
>- John
>

I just sent off copy for my herbal column (published in the northeast) which
was dedicated to Aloe barbadensis.  Your remedy was probably the best thing
you could have done!  Keep applying aloe gel.

Aloe is a common ingredient in many commercial preparations for treating
burns, including those derived from exposure to sun and radiation.  The
crystalline, called aloin, is a natural sunscreen that blocks up to 30% of
the sun's ultraviolet rays.

There is also evidence that aloe gel (produced from the outer leaf) may
inhibit the presence of bradykinin, a pain producing agent related to burn
injuries.  The gel is also antibacterial, antifungal, and stays the
production of thromboxane, an agent that inhibits the healing of burns.

Other studies suggest that aloe gel stimulates the regeneration and growth
of damaged skin cells, and may actually prevent scarring.