Subject: Culinary herb FAQ (v.1.01) Part 2/3

From: [email-masked] (Henriette Kress)
Date: 29 Aug 1995 11:40:21 GMT

A culinary herb FAQ / Resource list for the rec.gardens newsgroup. 
Available by www: http://sunsite.unc.edu/culiherb.thml
and ftp: ftp sunsite.unc.edu /pub/academic/medicine/alternative-
    healthcare/herbal-medicine/faqs/culiherb.txt

==========
2.8  Coriander/Cilantro
=====
2.8.1  Growing coriander/cilantro

----- Help! Bolting cilantro! ; on rec.gardens June 1995:
> Does anyone know what conditions I should avoid to keep the cilantro 
  from going to seed?

From: ?:
- If you plant the stuff really close together you'll probably get less 
  bolting.

From: [email-masked] (Elizabeth Platt):
  Don't let it get too hot--like lettuce, it's sensitive to heat.  But, 
  cilantro is an annual, so most pros advise planting several batches 
  in succession, so that there's always some that isn't going to seed. 
By the way, if you've gotten far along enough to worry about it going 
  to seed, congratulations.  All my cilantro is devoured, pronto, by 
  the slugs and snails as soon as the first tiny leaves appear.  
  Tastiest seedlings in the garden.... 

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney)
  To avoid bolting, the hotter the weather the more it should be in the 
  shade.  There are also varieties that are designed to produce leaves 
  and some designed to produce seeds.

=====
2.8.2  Harvesting cilantro

----- on rec.gardens June 1995:
OK, my cilantro bolted!  Am I going to have to hand pick each of the 
  little seeds to restock my coriander spice bottle or does someone 
  have an easier way? 

From: [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts): 
  take a brown paper bag, and place the seed 'umbrella' inside. shake 
  heartily. repeat for each 'umbrella'. this method is useful to 
  harvest some seed, and keep the rest for hopeful volunteer plants. 
for an even easier method, harvest the plant, then beat against the 
  side of a clean trashcan. most seeds should fall to the bottom. 
  you'll need to clean it a bit, but it's lot easier than hand-
  picking. this methos of course, harvests *all* the seed, as opposed 
  to number 1.

From: [email-masked] (Rudy Taraschi):
The way I do it is to dry the entire plant, seeds and all. I then get a  
  large paper shopping bag, hold the dried plant by the stem and thrash 
  it around in the bag. Most of the seeds usually fall off if the plant 
  is dry enough.

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney) 
  Even better than a paper bag is the feet of panty hose that you or your 
  SO has decided are too far gone to wear any more.  They are great for 
  putting over dill and cilantro stems to catch the seed.  Just put the 
  toe where the seed head is and a twist tie around the shin part where 
  it is over the stem and you will catch almost every seed.

=====
2.8.3  Using / preserving cilantro/coriander 
-----
From: [email-masked] (Susan L. Nielsen)
  Not exactly on the matter of etymology, but as to the flavor of 
  cilantro/coriander leaves, Julia Child has said, [pitch voice 
  appropriately high in the head]: "I just can't stand it.  It tastes 
  like dirt."  Other interpretations invoke soap.  I find it quite 
  fresh in flavor, and even take it straight off the plant in the 
  garden.  Of course, I nibble a lot of things as I dig, but cilantro 
  is definitely one I enjoy.  No accounting for taste.

From: [email-masked] (Nancy Moote) 
  Cilantro goes to seed very quickly. You can eat the flowers, though. 
  They taste like the leaves but lighter and sweeter. Or let them 
  develop seed for baking, pickling, curries, and planting next year.
They grow so fast that you can plant seeds now for more leaf cilantro 
  later this summer. Next year maybe try planting a few seeds every 2 
  weeks for a continuous supply.

==========
2.9  The mints
=====
2.9.1  Growing mint
-----
From: [email-masked] (SkiFast123)
  When you move spearmint, trust me and only transplant it into a 
  container of some sort.  You can bury the container if you want.  
  Good containers to use are those big multi-gallon types that roses 
  come in. Bury it right up to the rim.  Otherwise, in a few yrs, you 
  will have only one herb in your garden and that is mint because it is 
  VERY invasive.

From: Gary & Jeanne Ross <[email-masked]>
Spearmint will keep spreading unless you start pulling some of it out 
  by the roots. We however have let it and several other mints spread 
  thruout the lawn. It smells so great when you walk across it.

=====
2.9.3  Using / preserving mints
-----
>I've got way too much peppermint / mint / spearmint ...:

From: [email-masked] (Susan Hattie Steinsapir) 
  Make a simple sugar syrup and add a whole lot of fresh mint to it. Use 
  this when making granita or to sweeten sun tea.  Lemonade made with 
  the mint syrup would be nice, too.
I like to make iced tea heavily minted.  Steep a whole lot of mint with 
  the tea bags.  Or better yet, boil them with the tea water, then add 
  the tea and steep.  Discard the leaves.
Make cold asian type noodle salads with finely chopped mint added.  I 
  use mint to line a bowl in which I'm serving fresh whole 
  strawberries.  Don't see why you couldn't use them to line a bowl in 
  which a fruit salad will be served.  Melon salad would be nice.
Some middle eastern dishes call for lamb and mint.  Ground lamb and 
  finely chopped fresh mint (and a few other goodies) would make 
  interesting meat balls.
Use it in flower arrangements.  I've put rosemary branches and mint 
  leaves together when I wanted something but hadn't picked up any 
  fresh flowers.
Give it away to your friends!

From: [email-masked] (Leslie Basel) 
  You also might want to preserve it in vodka or aquavit...

From: [email-masked] (Amy Snell) 
  Boil a handfull of peppermint leaves in a pot of water, strain it, add 
  sugar and serve over ice ... wonderful peppermint drink -- tastes a 
  lot like candy canes, but very summery.  Also good hot.  Leftovers 
  can be frozen in an ice cube tray and popped into iced tea to make it 
  minty.

From: [email-masked] (Tom Havey):
Pesto.....a bunch of peppermint leaves, some peppermint or walnut oil, 
  a bit of sugar, all whipped up in a food processor. 
Dried, put in decorative jars for gifts, or mixed in some homemade 
  potpourri stuff.
Tea.
Raviolis stuffed with peppermint, pepper and raisins and a bit of goat
  cheese (or cottage cheese) topped with a light and spicy curry sauce.

From: [email-masked] (Libby Goldstein) 
Just add it to water or seltzer, crush it a bit and serve over ice.
  It's lovely.

From: [email-masked] (Judith Rogow) 
Mint planted at the kitchen door keeps ants away.

From: [email-masked] (Julia Moravcsik)
You can make tabouleh with the mint.
You can boil water with sugar and dip the leaves in for crystalized mint
  leaves.  
You can freeze them for later use.  
You can make a sort of pesto by putting them in a blender with some 
  oil and then freezing the pesto for later use.
You can put it in fruit salad, chopped fine.  
You can chomp on a leaf before you drink water to make the water taste 
  better.

From: [email-masked] (Steen Goddik)
One of our friends describe chocolate-covered mint leaves as a great
  "social lubricant" for her 5-year old son.  All the neighbor kids love 
  it, and it has made him rather popular.

From: [email-masked] (Susan L. Nielsen)
Tea from spearmint is a pretty usual solution; I find it perkier than 
  peppermint.  It also makes a terrific addition to iced tea made 
  from regular black tea. We make what is conventionally called sun tea 
  by the gallons all year 'round, though without the sun.  Seven 
  tea bags (good ol' Lipton's or Red Rose) steeped all day in a gallon 
  jug of water will make good tea for icing with or without Sol. Use 
  the spearmint fresh, or dry it, or freeze it in baggies.  I also add 
  it to raspberry leaf tea (calcium boost) because the raspberry has 
  very little flavor of its own.  Straight mint tea is good for bad 
  tummies.

From: [email-masked] (Don Wiss)
Looking it up in my Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery I find: candied mint
  leaves, mint butter, mint ice, mint jelly, mint julep, mint mousse,
  mint sauce, mint syrup, mint wafers, and sprigs in the ice tea.

-----
Spicy Mint tea
From: [email-masked]
  6 c Water
  2   Cinnamon sticks
  4   Clove, whole
  4   Allspice, whole
  2 c Mint leaves
  Bring the water, cinnamon, cloves and allspice to a boil. 
  Boil for 1 minute. 
  Stir in mint leaves. 
  Remove from heat and steep for five minutes. 
  strain into cups.
>From  Taste of Home Magazine.

----- 
Orange Mint Vinegar
From: [email-masked]
   1 sm Orange; peel; thin spiral - colored portion only
 1/2 c  Mint leaves; fresh
        Vinegar, white
Remove peel (colored portion only) from 1 small orange in a thin
  spiral, and place in a sterilized pint jar. Lightly bruise 1/2 
  cup fresh mint leaves, add to jar. Heat apple cider or distilled 
  white vinegar to just below the boiling point.  Fill jar with 
  vinegar, and cap tightly. Allow to stand 3 to 4 weeks. Strain 
  vinegar, discarding peel and mint. Pour vinegar into a clean 
  sterilized jar, adding a new sprig of fresh mint, if desired. 
  Seal tightly.  Use in dressing for tossed green salads with 
  orange and grapefruit sections, or in marinades for chicken or 
  lamb chops.

-----
Mint jelly
>From  [email-masked] (Sheri McRae):
  4 lb. tart apples
  3 cups strong mint water
  2 cups white vinegar
    sugar
To make the mint water, soak a large quantity of mint (about a pound) 
in 3 cups boiling water overnight. Next day, chop apples and place in a 
pan, and barely cover with water. Cover and simmer about an hour until 
apples are soft. Strain. Combine apple juice, mint water, and vinegar 
and strain again. Measure and place in a pan, adding cup for cup of 
sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to boiling and cook 
rapidly until the jelly will set. Bottle and seal. Mint Jelly is good 
with meats, especially lamb and is also good on toast, etc. 

I haven't tried this recipe but it came from a reliable preserving book 
which I have used and like.

==========
2.10 Feverfew

=====
2.10.1 Growing feverfew - it does not seem to repel bees.

----- on rec.gardens June 1995:
>I bought a feverfew plant today with high hopes of introducing it to 
  my herb garden.  Now I have read (of course I couldn't research 
  before making my purchase) that bees can't stand the smell of 
  feverfew and won't come near a garden with feverfew in it!

From: James Michael Kocher <[email-masked]>
I watched with delight last evening as the bees visited the heavy 
  blossoms of my foxglove, which are growing right next to feverfew.
  I have never noticed a lack of bees, and feverfew grows all over my
  garden.

==========
2.11 Tarragon
=====
2.11.1  Growing tarragon
-----
From: [email-masked] (Rick Giese)
... can't grow tarragon in East Texas...
Texas in summer is probably too hot for French Tarragon.  You might 
  experiment with a fall planting.  French Tarragon is the preferred 
  type for cooking, and will not grow from seed.

=====
2.11.3  Using / preserving tarragon
-----
From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney)
Tarragon pesto with pecans is a pretty good way to save it.

=====
2.11.4  Which tarragon do you have?
-----
From: HeK Hetta.pp.fi
There are 2 kinds of true tarragon: Artemisia dracunculus var.sativa 
  (French tarragon) and Artemisia dracunculus var.inodora (Russian 
  tarragon). The French tarragon cannot be grown from seed, it's taste 
  is finer but it isn't frosthardy. The Russian tarragon can be grown 
  from seed, it's taste isn't so good but it will survive outdoors in 
  Finland. 
Then there are the Mexican mint marigold and things like that. Anyone 
  know the latin names?

==========
2.12  Nasturtiums
=====
2.12.3  Using / preserving nasturtiums
-----

From: [email-masked] (gwen baker)
Nasturtium leaf is wonderful in salad.  Slightly bitter but refreshing.  
  I don't think it preserves very well and should only be used fresh. 
  If they get aphids - usually after midsummer in zone 5 - simply spray 
  with a dilute soap.  Any kind will work. Then rinse the leaves well 
  before use.

-----
>...toss in a few nasturtium pods for false capers.
So are these before the bloom -- the buds? Or after the bloom -- seed 
  pods? Do you preserve them?

From: [email-masked] (Susan L. Nielsen)
Pickled Nasturtium Pods or Seeds
After the blossoms fall, pick off the half-ripened Nasturtium seed pods.
  Continue as your crop develops to drop them into a boiled and strained 
  mixture of:
    1 quart white wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons Pickling Salt
    1 thinly sliced onion
    1/2 teaspoon each allspice, mace and celery seed
    3 peppercorns
Keep refrigerated and use as a variation for capers.
Taken from 'The Joy of Cooking', Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer 
  Becker, Bobbs-Merrill Co., Inc., New York, 1975.

==========
2.13  Dill
=====
2.13.1  Growing dill
-----
From: [email-masked] (Kenneth Nilsson)
Here in Sweden dill is the most common herb and there are always 
  discussions on why it is so difficult to grow. It always (?) dies 
  when about 3" high and the 'story' here has it that dill is very 
  susceptible to a root fungus. - By the way, you say "transplanted" 
  dill into your garden. Does that mean you sow it indoors and plant it 
  out? - The only solution for ME has been to sow/spread out the seeds 
  from the mature dill flowers in fall. I take some mature stalks of 
  dill and walk around the garden shaking them and I have beautiful 
  dill BUT all over the garden. They just won't grow where I want them 
  to - in nice rows - THERE! It seems as if the seeds that end up in 
  non-infected soil thrive whereas the others simply don't make it. If 
  you don't find that untidy, it's worth a try. I guess you can spread 
  the seeds in early spring too.

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney)
First, there are many different dill.  The best approach I have found 
  is to find a dill that that survives the winter wherever you are.  
  Then, it is one tuned to the environment and will grow better.  It 
  will also self seed, both where you want it :-) and where you don't 
  :-( or :-) depending.  It is perfectly acceptable to seed them very 
  close together.
It is also a good idea to succession plant dill if you want a 
  continuous supply of it all growing season long.

=====
2.13.2  Harvesting dill
-----
From: [email-masked] (Susan D. Hill):
Dill can be harvested for leaves any time during the growing season. If 
  you're growing for seeds, wait until the flowers die off and the 
  seeds are set, then tie little socks around the seed heads. You can 
  use nylon net, cheesecloth or even old stockings. Any fabric that is 
  porous. Be sure to tie them on loosely so as not to damage the stem. 
  Once the seeds are dry, just cut off the stalk and take it inside.

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney)
To harvest, assuming they are planted very close together, cut the 
  plants off at their base that are the biggest.  Then, let the 
  remaining plants, which will be more properly spaced, grow larger 
  until they are crowding themselves and pick them.  Then repeat the 
  process until they are all properly spaced and then pick the fronds 
  as quickly as they reach their size because they are preparing to go 
  to seed by then.  I pick every frond while the plants are going to 
  seed and it does not seem to affect the seed production at all and I 
  get more dill fronds that way :-).
To harvest the seeds, take a pair of panty hose past the wearing stage 
  and cut them off mid-thigh or mid-calf depending on your preference.  
  Put the seed head, when it is still green, into the foot of the panty 
  hose and the leg over the stem.  Tie a twist tie around the panty 
  hose on the stem and wait until the seeds are fully developed and 
  quite dry.  Then cut off the stem below the twist tie, bring it into 
  the house or somewhere else out of the wind and put it over a big 
  piece of paper.  The seed will pretty much fall off the head as it is 
  dry enough.  Don't forget to shake the seed out of the panty hose leg 
  too :-).

==========
2.13.3  Using / preserving dill
-----
From: [email-masked] (Judith Rogow)
I always cut some heads with ~almost~ mature seeds to add to my garlic 
  dill half-sour jars.  Adds extra flavour, and looks so pretty against 
  one side of the jar.

==========
2.14  Rosemary
=====
2.14.1  Growing Rosemary
-----
From: [email-masked] (Judith Rogow)
This is an herb you can literally kill with kindness!  Rosemary will 
  die if you fertilize her, or water her too much, or plant her in too-
  rich earth.  Benign neglect will result in big healthy plants.  There 
  are two basic types of Rosemary, the trailing or protstrate type, and 
  a bush type that will, in time, become large enought to be considered 
  a shrub.  These plants have been used in England in mazes, and in the 
  USA as landscape plantings.  Prostrate Rosemary is an excellent 
  ground cover.
Rosemary comes in various shades of blue-lavendar, and there is a 
  pink version that is a magnet for bees (as is the blue).  The leaves 
  are like miniature pine needles, in a lovely blue-green colour.
Rosmarinus, the herb's Latin name, means "sea spray",  and the plant 
  grows especially well near the ocean.

=====
2.14.2  Harvesting Rosemary
-----
From: [email-masked] (Judith Rogow):
I cut my rosemary back all summer and dry it hung in a closet.  This 
  perfumes my hanging clothing, and keeps it from sunburn.

=====
2.14.3  Using / Preserving Rosemary
-----
From: [email-masked] (Judith Rogow):
I use it for poultry stuffing, and as a tea to soothe stress.  Also, 
  the tea is a wonderful hair rinse for red heads and brunettes.  I 
  also use the tea in a bath when I ache all over from too much 
  gardening.
Rosemary may be dried by hanging sprigs in a warm place, then stripping 
  the leaves and keeping them in a jar or plastic bag. Uses of this 
  versitile herb include teas (infusions of the leaves) that make 
  soothing tisanes, enhancing hair rinses, and lovely fragrant soaking 
  baths.
Leaves are used in cooking and for scented oils, the flowers are often 
  added to a bride's headdress to insure fidelity.
Rosemary is considered an excellent tonic for headaches, and stomaches.
  It is also a traditional memory sharpener.  Shakespeare said in 
  Hamlet . . . "There's Rosemary, that's for rememberance."  Mourners 
  in many countries drop sprays of Rosemary in the coffin of a loved 
  one as a pledge not to forget the person.

Rosemary recipes
From: [email-masked] (Judith Rogow)
1) A decoction for the bath
   Steep several handsfull of Rosemary (fresh or dried) in water for an 
   hour at simmer.  Cool and bottle.  Add to bath for soothing and 
   scent.
2) Rosemary Water
   4 TBS Rosemary Flowers
   1 Nutmeg, grated
   2 TBS Cinnamon, grated
   1 QT alcohol spirit (Vodka works well)
   Pour liquid over herbs in a clean jar - stand in warm dark place for 
   two weeks.  Strain through cheesecloth or paper coffee strainer.  
   Use as you would witch hazel, to soothe aches.
3) Rosemary Wine
   1 bottle of white wine
   1 handfull fresh rosemary (or 2 TBS dried)
   2 TBS dried Borage leaves
   Steep herbs in wine a week or more, strain as in #2.  This is an 
   excellent nerve tonic.
4) Insect repellant candle
   Crumble dried Sage and Rosemary leaves, mix with melted wax, form 
   into candle (an easy way to do this if you don't have candle molds 
   is to put a votive candle in a bowl, pour warm herb-wax in the bowl 
   a bit at a time, and let harden) and use to keep bugs away.

==========
2.15  Lavender
-----
This one is on the wishlist. Would you like to contribute?  ;)

==========
2.16  Lemon balm
=====
2.16.1  Growing Lemon balm
-----
From: [email-masked] (JR Schroeder)
Lemon Balm, _Melissa_officinalis_, is a hardy perennial member of the 
  mint family (Lamiaceae).  I've found it easy to propagate from seed or 
  by dividing the clump in spring or late August; cuttings don't seem to 
  work well.  A mature plant forms an ordinary-looking rounded clump that's 
  about 2' across.  It doesn't spread as rampantly as some of it's 
  relatives, although it can become weedy if you let it go to seed (this 
  is a good way of getting little plants to share, though :) ). 
There is a variegated form, very attractive but less vigorous (it is 
  hardy in my Zone 5 winters).  I've found that if you stress this 
  form, it reverts to completely green, until it recovers from the stress 
  (which may take the rest of the season).  I haven't tried propagating 
  this one from seed; it is true from cuttings and divisions.

=====
2.16.3  Using / Preserving Lemon balm
-----
From: [email-masked], Northwind Farm Publications
Someone asked about lemon balm tea: should it be used fresh or dried, 
  etc. We are great lovers of lemon balm tea. We grow a patch of it, 
  harvesting the leaves all summer for fresh tea. In the fall, we 
  gather the crop and air-dry it for winter. The flavor is different 
  depending on whether it is fresh or dried; I prefer the fresh, but 
  dried is fine. Bruising the leaves before brewing the tea definitely 
  intensifies the flavor.
To prepare the tea, just steep the leaves in boiling water for a few 
  minutes. Personal taste will determine the amount to use (don't 
  skimp) and the brewing time. Try adding some of your other favorite 
  tea ingredients for a little variety. Chamomile and hops make a 
  soothing (maybe sedative or soporific for those sensitive to these 
  ingredients) combination with the lemon balm.
I have never heard of any toxic effects or contraindications to the use 
  of lemon balm. From personal experience, I'd say it's perfectly 
  harmless.

==========
2.17  Garlic
=====
2.17.1  Growing garlic
-----

[email-masked] (John Pedlow)

plant a clove every place you'd like a garlic plant to grow next year.
"Regular" garlic does not get "seed" heads.  rocambole garlic does.  
  the "seed" heads are not really seeds but are "bulblets" which may 
  be planted and will develop into garlic in a couple of years.  these 
  bulblets do have a garlic flavor but i find them a bit bitter compared 
  with garlic cloves. 
btw, my rocambole is just slightly smaller (head size) than my 
  "regular" garlic.  and, i am unable to taste a difference between 
  the two varieties.

-----
[email-masked] (Sallee)
The little bulblettes which are formed after the flower are the seeds 
  for the garlic plant, but they must be planted in the FALL to make 
  big beautiful garlic bulbs the following fall. Actually, the garlic 
  knows the best time to plant itself -- when that head dries, it drops 
  it's seeds at just the correct planting time.
The garlic also tells you the best harvesting time for the bulbs for 
  keeping and eating -- when that gooseneck flower stem unwinds 
  fully, the bulbs are fully formed, but have not yet started to petal 
  outward. The bulbs are still tightly closed and keep well.
I've grown award winning garlic in Nebraska for years by letting the
  plants tell me when to pick this way.

=====
2.17.3  Using garlic
-----

From: [email-masked]
Garlic Jelly
    2 T. butter or margarine
       1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled and minced
    3 C. granulated sugar
  1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
   6 oz. liquid pectin
In a large saucepan, combine butter and garlic over medium heat. Cook, 
  stirring constantly, until garlic is light golden brown (3 to 4 
  minutes).  Add sugar and vinegar.  Cook, stirring constantly, until 
  sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.  Stir in pectin.  Boil 1 
  minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Skim foam from top 
  of jelly.  Pour into sterilized jars and seal.  Yield:  about 3 C. 
  jelly.

From: Sam Waring <[email-masked]>
Garlic jam
   4    Garlic head, whole (~14 oz)
   1 T  Olive oil, extra-virgin
   1 md Onion; unpeeled & halved lengthwise
        Salt (opt)
Preheat the oven to 350F. Using a large sharp knife, cut off 1/2-inch 
  from the top of each head of garlic to expose some of the flesh.
Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the oil over the bottom of a gratin or glass 
  pie dish.  Place the garlic and the onion halves cut sides down in 
  the dish, cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes, until very 
  soft to the touch.  Uncover and let cool for 20 minutes.
Peel the onion halves and finely chop them.  Place in a medium bowl. 
Squeeze the garlic pulp from the skins into the bowl; discard the 
  skins.  Using a fork, stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and mash 
  with the onion and garlic until thoroughly incorporated.  Season with 
  salt if desired.  (The garlic jam will keep refrigerated in a glass 
  jar for up to 2 weeks.)
Makes 1-1/3 cups.
Use this condiment with roasted meats or as a spread for toasted 
  croutons or cold meat sandwiches, or try a spoonful of it mixed into 
  homemade salad dressings and sauces.
Source: Food & Wine - December, 1993

==========
2.18  Thyme
=====
2.18.1  Growing thyme
-----
From: [email-masked] (SkiFast123)
Transplanting thyme: a suggestion made by Adelma Grenier Simmons (of 
  Caprilands, CT fame) in one of her many herb pamphlets is to bury 
  one-half of the plant along with the roots in the soil.  In other 
  words, you will only, after transplanting, be able to see 1/2 of the 
  plant that you had formerly.  The other 1/2 will be underground.  
  Since thyme is tricky to transplant bc its roots are so fine and in 
  my experience, easy to sever from the main plant, this method has 
  worked with good results for me. 

==========
2.19  Lemon grass
=====
2.19.2  Harvesting lemon grass
-----

From: [email-masked] (Mari J Stoddard)
Scissor off the top third of the leaves, [dry] and use in tea or 
  potpourri. Do this whenever you have lots of points sticking up, 
  rather than harvested edges.  I love to mix it with mint and Texas 
  Ranger (all three fresh off the plant).  Supposed to be good for 
  throat complaints (cough, soreness).  Rose petals or hibiscus makes 
  for a prettier color.
Cut off a clump to ground level, use bottom third in cooking - sliced 
  fine or diced.  Traditionally boiled in soups or sauces.  For 
  instance, lemon grass clump, chicken broth, coconut milk, garlic and 
  a bit of fish sauce makes a great soup.  Wait till you have at least 
  three clumps.
Cut off a clump almost to ground level and lay on the BBQ grill under 
  fish or poultry.  I usually separate the clump vertically into 1/4-
  1/2 inch diameter lengths and grill them for about a minute before 
  putting down the fish.
Separate the pot contents into clumps, and plant each clump in a new 
  pot.

-----
From: Christopher Loffredo <[email-masked]>
Either start by trimming off some of the older blades every few weeks, 
  leaving some young shoots on the plant, then (1) roll up each blade 
  into a tight curl or tie it into a bow and freeze it at once inside a 
  plastic bag, or 
Dry the leaves, chop them up, and store in jars.
If you use the freezer method all you have to do is thaw the lemon 
  grass and it's ready to use. Dried lemon grass needs to be softened 
  up if you're going to cook with it, so place some in a small bowl 
  with a few tablespoons of hot water and let it soak for a while 
  before cooking.

=====
2.19.3  Using / preserving lemon grass
-----
From: [email-masked] (Eric Hunt)
This should be a great refresher.
Iced Lemongrass Tea
  1/4 c  Chopped fresh lemongrass-tops or
    2 tb Dried flakes
    4 c  Boiling water
         Sugar to taste
Preheat teapot with boiling water; discard water. Add lemongrass and 
  boiling water, steep 8 to 10 minutes; strain. Allow to cool, sweeten 
  to taste, and serve in tall glasses with ice. Yield: 4 servings

==========
2.20  Horseradish

=====
2.20.1  Growing horseradish
-----

With this plant, the problem is less how to get it to grow and more
how to get rid of it later. To illustrate:

From: david bennett <[email-masked]>
I need some help; how do I get rid of horseradish which I planted a 
  number of years ago that now threatens to take over my garden?  Key 
  issue is no matter how deep you dig; you never get all of the root 
  out.  Now there hides beneath the soil an infant root waiting to 
  become a big plant next year, etc.

>From  [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts), to above:
learn to appreciate horseradish - i doubt you'll be able to eradicate 
  it short of using some harsh chemical means. you'll very likely have 
  to settle for control instead of removal.
if your soil is not heavy clay, i'd recommend spading up the area and 
  using a sieve to extract as many runners as possible. depending on 
  the area of your problem, that may be some work.
you can also pinch off all the leaves (continuosly) in an effort to 
  deplete the roots of energy.
you may also have some luck by using a large sheet of black plastic to 
  mulch the area, though i'd not recommend this in times of extreme 
  heat, it tends to bake the soil pretty badly.
another method used to contain such invasive plants is to ring the area 
  with some sort of buried edging; I know of people who cut the bottoms 
  off five gallon plastic buckets, bury them and plant the horseradish 
  in the center of each bucket (the bottom is removed for drainage). 
while it's too late to do that, you may be able to define an area, 
  trench it, and bury a foot or two of something (metal will corrode 
  eventually, wood will rot, plastic isn't very organic and eventually 
  becomes brittle, all end up needing to be replaced over time) to 
  restrict underground movement.

=====
2.20.3  Using horseradish
-----

From: [email-masked]
Horseradish Jelly
    3 C. granulated sugar
  1/2 C. prepared horseradish
  1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
   6 oz. liquid pectin
In a large saucepan, combine sugar, horseradish and vinegar over medium 
  heat.  Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture 
  comes to a boil.  Stir in pectin.  Boil 1 minute, stirring 
  constantly.  Remove from heat.  Skim foam from top of jelly.  Pour 
  into sterilized jars and seal.  Yield:  about 3 C. jelly.  Delicious 
  with meat or cream cheese/crackers.

==========
3  Gardening 

==========
3.2  Herbs you can't get rid of (= easy gardening)
-----
Also see Growing horseradish, 2.20.1 above.

From: [email-masked] (Peter Harris)
Marigold and nasturtium. Just sprinkle a few packets around and your 
  only future problem is thinning them down each year.

From: HeK
Then there are the mints, and comfrey. Both should be planted in 
  containers which are dug into the ground to avoid them taking over the
  garden, and to make it possible to get rid of them if you decide to.

==========
3.3  Tall herbs
-----

From: [email-masked] (Peter Harris)
Fennel is the obvious one, the tinted variety is nice although I only 
  have the ordinary. Really good fun is Lovage, it can be huge. It is 
  known in Germany as the "Maggi Herb" and is a constituent of that 
  proprietory food enhancer. It has a pretty strong "dark" taste and
  was used to "extend" stews. I.e. it made a stew taste as thought 
  there was more meat in it than there really was !
Latin names: Lovage = Levisticum officinale. Fennel = Foeniculum vulgare.

==========
3.4  Herbs for shade
-----
From: [email-masked] (sonny hays-eberts)
sweet cicely and woodruff are two i've had good luck with, in heavy 
  shade. most culinary herbs prefer full sun. those that are shade 
  tolerant, as a general rule, are not as heavy on flavor.

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney)
Many of the broader leaf herbs will grow in the shade, especially the 
  ones that tend to bolt.  A good example of this is cilantro or 
  parsley.

==========
4  Processing herbs 

==========
4.1  Vinegars
-----
Please check at least 2.4.3 / Chive Vinegar, 4.6.3 / Rose Vinegar, 
  and 2.9.3 / Mint Vinegar.

After asking about uses for a combination of parsley, sage, rosemary 
  and thyme I got the following reply:
From: [email-masked] (Kate Blacklock):
  It makes great flavored vinegar!
Which of course sounds intriguing and has to be tried.  ;)

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rooney)
Basically, if you like it as an herb, put a good sized sprig of it in 
  some white vinegar and wait a couple of months and try it.  This 
  works with sage (don't leave it too long), oregano, tarragon, thyme 
  (may have to leave it longer) and chives that I can think of.

Rose petal vinegar
From: [email-masked] (Gwen Baker):
  1 c rose petals
  3 whole cloves
  2 c white wine vinegar
Trim away white part of rose petals.  Wash and drain thoroughly.  
  Slightly bruise petals and place with cloves in a wide mouth canning 
  jar.  Place vinegar in a medium saucepan bring to a boil.  Pour 
  vinegar over petals, cover at once with metal lids, and screw bands 
  tight.  Let stand at room temp for 1 week. Strain vinegar into 
  decorative jars, discarding rose petals.  Seal jars with a cork or 
  other airtight lid.  Makes 2 cups.

==========