Subject: Herbal Ecstasy in High Schools

From: [email-masked] (Michael J Pfafflin)
Date: 6 Sep 1995 05:10:41 GMT

Hello,
My daughter is the editor of her high school newspaper. They are going
to do an article on Herbal Ecstasy. It seems to be widely used at the
schools. I have seen threads somewhere before on the dangers of this
herbal concoction, but can't remember all the herbs. I know one is
ephedrine (Ma Huang), which I know can cause problems when abused, such
as high blood pressure, nervousness, and heart racing/palpitations. 
Can anyone help with the other herbs in this formula and any other
advice on taking this product. I know the kids think this internet
thing is cool and might listen to "quotes from the internet newsgroups"
Thanks in advance for the help.
Michael

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Wiss)
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 1995 12:43:37 GMT

>thing is cool and might listen to "quotes from the internet newsgroups"

Michael,

Are referring to E? Here's a web site on it:

 http://hyperreal.com/drugs/e4x/

Don.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gnome)
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 1995 15:23:20 GMT

>>thing is cool and might listen to "quotes from the internet newsgroups"

All of the above things you mentioned are true.  Ephedrine, the
chemical that Ma Huang is similar to is a vasodialator.  It opens up
the breathing passages in the lungs most often in cases of asthma.
Long term normal use can be detrimental as well as taking too much at
any one time.  Herbal E is NOT anything like the real thing.  All it
does is give you a 'speedy' feeling, as well as causing the shortness
of breath and shaking.  However I do feel that it is somewhat safer
than the designer drug it's supposed to emulate.