Subject: healall/essential oils

From: [email-masked] (John W Bartlett)
Date: 13 Sep 1995 01:06:33 GMT

Can someone describe healall (Prunella vulgaris) for me?I grew a plant
that had deeply cut leaves in a rosette,at ground level.In late summer it
sent up spikes with pink flowers,3/4 in. across,that then turned into same
sized papery shells with small seeds.None of the plant is scented.If it is
Prunella,how do I use it?
Also what is a good mail order source for essential oils? Thanks.

---

From: Graham Sorenson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 19:58:09 GMT

> Prunella,how do I use it?

Heal all is Stone Root (Collinsonia Canadensis)

Prunella vulgaris is Self-Heal AKA All-heal, Hook-heal etc.

The flowers and bracts of the spike or ear of the plant are arranged in regular tiers or whorls, 
each tier composed of a ring of six stalkless flowers, supported by a couple of spreading, 
sharp-pointed bracts. The number of whorls varies from a half a dozen to a dozen. The flower-spike 
is at first very short, compact and cylindrical, but then opens out somewhat, maintaining much the 
same size throughout its length, not tapering as in the flower spikes of most other flowers. The 
flowers do not come out simultaneously in any one ring, so that a somewhat ragged looking head of 
flowers is produced. the lips of the flowers are red and the corolla is of a deep purple hue. .

Condensed from "A Modern Herbal" by Mrs M Grieve.  1931.

> Also what is a good mail order source for essential oils? Thanks.

See below <Grin>

Graham

-- 
Watch this Cyberspace..............
Graham Sorenson         Guide to Aromatherapy URL

http://www.pikeperry.co.uk/ppp/fragrant/index.htm

We are not Physical beings having a spiritual experience
But Spiritual beings having a physical experience.