Subject: Benefits of eating raw garlic?

From: [email-masked] (Dick Dawson)
Date: 7 Oct 1995 04:38:20 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
CArtEffect <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I agree with all the benefits attributed to garlic, but made a terrible
>mistake one day.  [..]

Your reaction is unusual.  But a good indicater that anyone trying
any new herb should approach it cautiously.

I'm not a heavy garlic user; 1 head lasts me 2-5 days.  I eat most of
it raw, in salads and sandwiches.  I use plenty in cooking, probably
10x standard recipe suggestions.  3q homebrew spaghetti or enchilada
sauce gets 2 heads, 2q hommos tahini gets 2 heads.

I've got a friend who grows it, eats at least a head a day, raw.

Garlic relieves gastric distress in many folk.

Dick
[email-masked]
http://web.syr.edu/~ddawson

"Rule 1:  Never play with the food"  - Marie

---

From: [email-masked] (ariadna a solovyova)
Date: 7 Oct 95 16:35:34 GMT

>any new herb should approach it cautiously.

I agree!!! Start with maybe half a clove at a time, then increase the 
amount. Garlic strengthens digestive tract, for sure. It very clearly 
helps me digest dairy and fat. I really can't live without it at this 
point. 

And I never could understand all this talk about its bad smell. It has a 
wonderful spicy smell, I love it! It may be that there are people who 
develop a different smell when they eat garlic; hope I'm not one of them.

Ari