Subject: Re: saving basil seeds

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Aug 1995 19:46:24 GMT

I let some of my Basil go to seed, cut, tie in small bunches, hang upside 
down and put into brown paper bags, and hang to dry in a dry place.  Be 
sure to label if you are drying more than one kind.  After drying for a 
while shake the bag very hard and seeds will fall to the bottom of the 
bag.  Store the seed in airtight containers (I use small plastic bags 
most of the time) in a dark, dry place.  I have always had good luck in 
drying most seeds in this manner.  Good Luck..

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Aug 1995 20:02:06 GMT

Very simple John. Let a basil plant go to seed and before it gets too 
dry cut the seed heads with some stalk attached.  Band these together 
with a rubber band, hang upside down,put in a paper bag and tie tightly. 
Hang to dry in a dry place for awhile ( a month or two) take down and 
shake very hard (I sometimes have to break some seeds out by hand).  Dump 
the seeds out in a flat container and very carefully blow the dried chaff 
away.  Store the seed in an airtight container (old film containers - 
plastic bags do well for me) and store in a dry, dark place till planting 
time.  This method has worked well for me - hope it does for you. Be sure 
and label your seeds, both when you bag to dry and then to store, 
expecially if you are drying more than one variety.
Happpy Gardening