Subject: Chinese Medicine In Plain English!

From: [email-masked] (PanStateCO)
Date: 3 Jun 1995 19:54:01 -0400

GENERAL INFORMATION 
Herb Name Prefixes 
 
Herb names are often prefixed by term that describes what part of the
plant is being used. Some of the common terms 
are listed below:  
 
Cortex		bark 
Floss		flower 
Folium		leaves 
Fructus         fruit 
Herba		the part above the ground 
Os		bone 
Radix		root 
Rhizoma		rhizome, a root-like stem 
Semen		seed 
 
How to Cook Herb Teas 
pots   
Use a ceramic, glass, or porcelain-coated pot.
 
Water    
 
Bring 4 cups of water to a rapid boil in a stainless steel, glass or 
ceramic pot. Add herbs. Boil vigorously for 5 
minutes. Then medium boil for 15 minutes. Finally simmer for 15 minutes. 
You should have a minimum of 2 cups of 
"tea" left when done (but not less). Strain and drink one cup two times 
a day. When the tea is gone add 4 more cups 
of water and repeat cooking procedure. Discard the herbs after the second 
cooking. 
 
About Ginseng Use 
Ginseng is the most highly esteemed herb in the Orient. It is a superb 
energy tonic that seems to work on a cellular 
level. The load-in times for ginseng is anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months,
 depending on the individual. Therefore, 
the full"tonic" effects of it will occur only after a period of time. 
Interim effects can be noticed by most users within 
days. It is suggested that a 45-90 day tablet or whole root program be 
used to achieve the desired benefits of ginseng. 
 
Recommended Reading 
 
Between Heaven & Earth 
By H. Beinfield and E. Komgold. Ballantine Books, 1991 
A comprehensive look at Chinese medical approach. 
 
The Tao of Health, Sex & Longevity 
By D. Reid. A Fireside Book, 1989 
Explores Chinese herbal esources on diet and nutrition, acupuncture, sex
therapy and more. 
 
Legendary Chinese Healing Herbs 
By Henry Lu, Sterling Publishing Co., 1991 

CHINESE RAW HERBS

The Herb listed below are commonly used tonic herbs and can be safely 
made into teas according to your preference. 
 
Radix Angelicasinesis (Tang kuei or Dang gui) tonifies,  
invigorates and harmonizes the Blood and regulates 
menses. Research has shown that it is beneficial for painful  
menstruation, has a mild sedative effect, and is good for  
certain types of pain such as arthritis and neuralgias. 
Use: 3-15 grams 

Radix Astragalus (Huang qi): Tonifies the Spleen, Stomach, Qi and Blood. 
Benefits the immune system. Research has shown it to lower blood pressure 
and increase endurance. 
dosage:3- 30 grams. 

Radix codonopsis (Dang Shen): commonly used as a ginseng substitute. 
Research has shown it to be stimulating, 
inhibiting fatigue. It tonifies the Spleen and Stomach, strengthens and 
benefits the transforming powers of human 
life. 
Dosage: 3-9 grams 
 
Radix ginseng (Renshen): a powerful energy tonic and the most well-known 
Oriental herb. It tonifies the Lungs and 
Stomach and strengthens the Spleen. Research has shown that it speeds the 
transmission of nerve impulses, increases 
endurance, and strengthens conditioned reflexes as well as having many 
antistress capabilities.  
 
Dosage:   1 to 9 grams 

Radix GLEHNIAE (Sha Shen): moistens the Lungs and alleviate coughs, 
nourishes the Stomach, generates fluids, 
moistens the exterior . Traditionally used for coughs, dryness of the 
mouth or throat after fevers and for dry, itchy 
skin. It also strengthens the pulse. 
Use: 9-15 gram 
 
Radix GLYCYRRHIZAE (Chinese Licorice, Gan Cao): moderates and harmonizes 
the characteristics of other herbs. 
It tonifies the Spleen and benefits Qi, moistens the Lungs and stops 
coughing. Research has shown that it has an anti-
inflammatory and anti-allergic effect. It reduces the toxicity of many 
substances including nicotine, caffeine and 
cocaine. Not to be used with Ephedrae (Ma Huang). 
Use: 3-9 gram 

Radix PAEONIAE ALBA (Bai shao): nourishes and stabilizes the Blood, 
purify the Liver and alleviates pain. Also 
important for irritability, edginess, and mood swings. Research has 
shown that it decreases blood pressure and has 
mild anti-inflammatory effects. 
Use: 6-15 gram. 

Radix POLYGONUM MULTIFLORUM (Ho shou wu, fo-ti): tonifies the Liver, 
and Kidneys, and detoxifies. It is a 
crucial herb to nourish the Blood and Essence. Research has shown that 
it decreases cholesterol levels. 
Use: 9 - 30 gram. 

Rasix REHMANNIAE (Shu di huang): a important herb to tonify and stabilize 
the Blood and nourish Yin. The Ming 
dynasty’s most famous botanist, Li Shi-zhen, wrote that REHMANNIAE 
generates the Blood-Essence, tonifies the 
deficiencies of the five Yin organs, penetrates the Blood vessels, 
benefits the ears and eyes, and blackens the hair. 
“Research has shown that it decreases blood pressure and serum 
cholesterol. 
Use: 9-30 gram. 

Ginkgo (Ginkgo Biloba leaf) Enhances Peripheral and cerebral circulation. 
It is used in Europe for symptoms of 
memory loss, Dizziness, ringing of the ears and depression in the elderly.

Use: 6-15 gram		

Fructus LIGUSTRI LUCIDI (Nu zhen zi): nourishes and tonifies the Liver 
and kidneys and is traditionally used for 
premature graying of hair, lower back pain, and spots in front of the 
eyes. 
Use: 3-9 gram 

Fructus LYCH (Gou qi zi): an important herb to nourish the Blood and 
Essence. It is used for weakened sexual 
energy, backache, fading eyesight, over-sensitive wyes, mental confusion, 
and underdeveloped inner psychic vision. 
This sweet and tasty fruit can be eaten by itself or used in food 
preparation. 
Use: 6-15 gram 

Fructus PSORALEA CORYLIFOLIA (Bu gu zhi): tonifies the Kidneys and 
fortifies the Yang, tonifies and warms 
the Spleen Yang. Traditionally used for impotence, premature ejaculation, 
lower back pain, frequent urination. It also 
strengthens the digestive power of the body 
Use: 3-9 gram 

Fructus SCHIZANDRA (Wu wei zi ): purifies the Blood, rejuvenates the 
kidney energy, brightens the mind, calms 
the spirit, and causes the skin to become radiant. Research shows that 
it strengthens and quickens reflexes in human 
volunteers and also increases work efficiency. Note: A thin white crust 
may be found on the berries. It does not affect 
the quality. It gives them the salty taste. 
Use: 3-9 gram. 

Fructus ZIZIPHI JUJUBAE (hong zao): a tasty fruit which tonifies the 
Spleen and benefits the Stomach. Nourishes 
the nutritive Qi, calms the Spirit and harmonizes the  
characteristics of harsh herbs. Research has shown that it increases 
endurance and weight gain. Can be used in 
cooking or as a snack. 
Use: 3-10 fruit. 

Herba DENDROBIUM NOBILE ( shi hu) this golden herb nourishes Yin, clears 
heat and generates fluids. Taoist 
herbalists say it will build superb sexual vigor. 
Use : 6-12 gram. 

Herbal EPHEDRA (Ma huang ): A potent stimulant, Ma huang has been used by 
monks to sharpen awareness. It 
facilitates the circulation of Lung Qi, promotes urination and reduces 
edema. 
Use:3-15 gram. 
 
Herbal EPIMEDIUM SAGITTATUM (Yin yang huo): tonifies the Kidneys,
 fortifies the Yin and Yang, expels Wind 
Cold Dampness (good for joint pain). Research has shown that it increases 
sexual activating power and commonly 
used for low sexual energy, weakness, and dizziness. Research has shown 
that it lowers blood pressure. 
Use: 6-12 gram. 

Cortex CINNAMOMI (Rou gui) is one of the main warming Herbs of Chinese 
medicine. It stimulates the day to day 
energy that is replenished by sleep and eating. It can also warm the 
reproductive organs in both women and men. It 
promotes menstruation, and alleviates pain, 
generates Qi and blood. Can be crushed and used as cinnamon powder. 
Use: 1-3 gram 

Cortex EUCOMMIAE ULMOIDIS (Du zhong): tonifies the Liver and Kidneys, 
strengthens the sinews and bones, 
aids in smooth flow of Qi and Blood. It is an important herb to strengthen

the Kidney activating power and is 
commonly used for low sexual energy, weakness, and dizziness. Research has
 shown that it lowers blood pressure. 

Cortex MOUTAN (mu dan pi ) is believed, by Taoist herbalists, to be very 
beneficial to the female fertility cycle and 
if used over prolonged periods of time is supposed to strengthen the body 
and lengthen life. It is also helpful for 
irritability, edginess, and tension. Traditionally, it clears heat and 
cools Blood, invigorates Blood and clears ascending 
Liver fire 
Use: 6-12 gram. 

Semen CUSCUTAE JAPONICA (Tu si zi): tonifies and benefits the Spleen, 
Kidneys and benefits the essence. 
Traditionally used for impotence, nocturnal emission, premature 
ejaculation, and for blurred vision due to deficient 
Liver and Kidney Yin and Yang. 
Use: 6-12 gram. 

ANTLER (Lu rong): reinforces the Kidneys and the vital Qi, nourishes 
the Blood and vital Essence, strengthens the 
bones and muscles. It is often found in many formula to enhance sexual 
powers. Research has shown that it has a 
general strengthening effect that increases work capacity, improves sleep 
and decreases the rate of muscle fatigue. 
Use: 3-4.5 gram,, boil by itself or soak in wine for several weeks. 

CITRUS (Chen pi ) is often used with tonic Herb's to keep their energy 
circulating smoothly throughout the body 
and prevent stagnation. It is considered a minor tonic and Qi regulating 
herb. It moves the Qi, and strengthens the Spleen.
Use:3-9 gram. 

CORDYCEPS (Dong chong xia cao): restorative and tonic,it nourishes the 
Lungs and Lung Yin. fortifies the Kidneys and builds Qi. It is this secret

formula that helps Chinese Women’s track team shattered dozens of world 
records in recent World Games. Use: 1.5 to 4 qian. Can be cooked with 
duck, chicken,pork, or fish as a stew. 

GANODERMA LUCIDA (Ling-Chih, Reishi mushroom ) is the famous tonic 
mushroom of China. The divine Husbandman’ s Classic of the Material 
Medical (c. 150 AD) says it benefits Heart Qi, tonifies the Middle 
Burner, and increases insight and intelligence. It is used traditionally 
as a Qi tonic and sedative and is considered and important immune-
enhancing and anti-stress herb. 
Use: 9-15 gram. 

PORIA COCOAS (Fu ling): is one of the most frequently used herbs in China 
because of its versatility. Promotes urination, strengthens the Spleen, 
harmonizes the middle warmer, transforms Phlegm., quiets the Heart and 
gives the Spirit clarity. 
Use: 9-15 gram 

CHINESE PATENT MEDICINES

General Tonics 
 
Renshen (Ginseng) Feng Wang Jiang: a Ginseng and Royal Jelly supplement 
to promote Spleen and Lung Qi, and aid in nutritional absoption. Royal 
Jelly plus Ginseng is believed to increase the immune system function and 
is used to improve the function of bone marrow in blood production. 
Excellent to use prior to and after vigorous exercise.
Use 1-2 vials per day. 

Peking Ling Chih Royal Jelly: a combination of the famous Ling Chih 
(ganoderma, reishi) mushroom and royal Jelly. This is considered an 
excellent product for strengthening the body and enhancing the immune 
system. It strengthens the Lungs, Spleen and Liver and is said to promote 
longevity. Use 1 vial per day. 

Alrodeer Pills: strengthen the vital energy,nourish Blood and benefit the 
Kidneys Yang and Yin energy. Good for general weakness,fatigue and 
deficient Kidney symptoms. Good for long-term use. 
Take 4 pills 3 times a day. 

Astragali Extract: is suitable for long-term use to regulate digestion, 
prevent illness, and help recovery from chronic illness or childbirth. 
Astragalus has shown some benefit to strengthening the immune system.  
Comes in 10 cc  vials. 
Take 1 vial twice a day. 

Pantocrin(Deer Antler Extract): a pure extract of deer antler in honey 
base used as an energy tonic. It is used by men in China and Japan as a 
sexual tonic to improve potency, to increase physical strength and mental 
sharpness. Research has shown that it benefits metabolism. Note: antlers 
are removed from deer without harming them. 

Ching Chun Bao ( Secret of anti-aging): increase mental capacity, counter 
fatigue, improve resistance to disease. It strengthens Kidney Yang, 
tonifies Qi and Blood, promotes blood circulation, benefits Heart an 
Kidney, enriches sexual function. Known as anti-Aging tablets, 
Contains Ginseng, Asparagus, & Rehmanniae as main ingredients. 
Take 3-5 tablets 3 times a day. 

Shou Wu Chih: one of the most popular liquid tonic preparations, it 
tonifies, warms and invigorates Blood, Acts as a strong Liver and Kidney 
tonic for men and women. Strengthens bones and tendons in back and joint 
aching. Suitable for long term use. Take 2-3 tablespoons 3 times a  day 
with tea or water, or in soup. 

Shou Wu Pian: Tablet form of Shou Wu Chih 

Min Mu Di Huang Wan (Rehmannia Tea): adjusted to benefit vision problems 
including dry eyes, red and itchy eyes, poor eyesight, and excessive 
tearing. Take 8-10 pills 3 times a day. 

Ge Jie Da Bu Wan:  strengthens the Kidney,Liver and Spleen and is used to 
treat weakness associated with chronic illnesses and rheumatism. Since it 
strengthens both Kidney Yin and Yang it is often used by older people as 
a supplement to maintain good health. Take 3 caps twice a day. 

Women’s Nourishment 
 
Women’s Precious Pills (Bazhen wan ; Fu ke ba zhen wan) tonifies Qi and 
Blood. Excellent as a women’s daily supplement, useful for PMS, fatigue, 
dizziness, irregular menstruation, deficient menses, and recovery from 
childbirth and illness. Take 8-16 pills 3 times a day. 

Hsiao Yao Wan(Xiao yao wan ): is used to move blocked Liver Qi, strengthen

the Spleen and nourish Blood. It is beneficial for pains in the side, 
headache, fatigue, moodiness, irregular menstruation and other Liver 
energy atagnation symptoms. Take 8 pills  
3 times per day 

Shih Chuan Da Bu Wan (Shiquan dabu wan; Ten Flavor Tea): is said to build 
energy (Qi) and Blood, strengthen the muscles and joints, develop a strong

mind and balance the emotions. Based on Women’s Precious Pills, adding 
Cinnamon to warm and strengthen Kidney Yang, and Astragalus to nourish 
Spleen and (the body’ s) defensive Qi. In Asia, it is common to take this
 tonic for several years. Take for three months, stop one week, then 
resume taking it again. Take 8-10 pills 3 times a day. 

Wu Chi Bai Feng Wan: tonifies Blood and Qi , arms the uterus, nurtures 
Yin, resolves stagnation of Liver Qi and Blood. Useful for menstrual 
disorders due to deficiency or cold, including lack of menstruation,
painful menstruation, or infertility. Beneficial in postpartum fatigue. 
Effective for menstrual cramps and PMS. Take 1 box per day. 
 
Ginseng Bai Feng Extract: tonifies Blood and Qi. Useful for menstrual 
disorders due to deficiency or cold, including 
lack of menstruation, painful menstruation, or infertility. Beneficial in
 postpartum fatigue. effective for menstrual 
cramps and PMS. Take 10cc a day. 

Sexual Response Enhancements 
 
Gragonlife: Best seller in Japan! a special Formula for man made according

to traditional prescriptions and modern medical research. 100% safe. It 
promotes virility and potent sexuality. Effective for impotence, infirm 
erection and over exhaustion. 

Nu Chit Bo:  formula for Women. 

Digestive Concerns 
 
Shu Kan Wan: Circulate Liver Qi and aid digestion. Alleviate burping, 
bloatedness aftereating. Other symptoms include abdominal pain, loose 
or erratic stool, cold limbs and facial flush. 10 pills three times a 
day 

Bao Ji Wan: Good for upset stomach and indigestion. Also help stop 
diarrhea. Take 1 bottle each time  
 
Asthma 
 
Ping Chuan Wan: is used for coughs and shortness of breath, with thin
white 
phlegm, caused by deficient lung Qi and Yin. 10 pills three times a day. 

Allergies and Sinuses 
 
Pe Min Kan Wan: Use for common cold or flu, especially for runny and 
stuffy nose and headache. Treat rhinitis and 
chronic sinusitis. 2-3 tablets three times per day. 

Bi Yan Pian: is used to clear stuffy or runny noses. Alleviate itchy eyes,

facial congestion and sinus pain. For hay fever, sinus and nasal 
allergies. 3 tablets three times per day. 

Colds and Flus 
 
Yin Chiao Chieh Tu Pian: commonly used for cold symptoms, such as sore 
throat, fever and chills, swollen lymph nodes, aching body, stiff neck 
and sore shoulders. Especially effective at the onset of a cold. 
4 tablets twice a day. 

Chuan Xin Lian: purge toxic heat, cool the blood. Use for acute throat 
inflammations with swollen glands and fever, including strep infections. 
Beneficial in viral infections causing fever. 2-3 pills three times a day.

Other Formula 
 
YUNNAN PAIYAO: is a traditional formula that stops bleeding, activates
blood
 circulation and promotes the healing of wounds. Also beneficial for 
menstrual problems. This is an important herbal formula to have ready for 
emergencies. Take 1-2 caps. 

 ZHENG GU SHUI lineament: dispels blood and fluid stagnation, invigorates 
blood, relaxes tendons and muscles, promotes healing, and stops pain. 
Effective for muscle, ligament and bone injuries. For external use only. 

White Flower Analgesic Balm: is a dast acting, penetrating warmth for pain

relief of minor injuries and arthritis. Can be used to sweat out a recent 
cold. Good for insect bites and as an insect repellent. 

Hong Hoa Medicated Oil: This is an external analgesic massage oil, for the

temporary relief fo minor aches and pains of muscles and joints associated
 with simple headache, arthritis and strains. Contains turpentine oil, 
wintergreen oil, cinnamon leaf oil, and citronella oil. 

Natural Herb Loquat Flavored Syrup (Chuan Bei Pi Ba Gao): clears heat in 
the lungs, suppresses cough, moistens the lung, soothes sore throat. 
Good for cough with difficult expectoration. Smoker's cough may be 
relieved with its use. Take 1 tablespoon 3 times a day diluted in warm 
water. pleasant tasting, excellent for children. 

Green Teas, Oolong Tea, Herb Teas

(To Be Continued...)

Copyright 1995 Pan State Health Products
155-21 Cherry Ave, Flushing, NY11355
E-mail: [email-masked]

If you need more info, please contact us, thanks.