Subject: Re: Treating Virulent Diseases with Chinese Medici

From: [email-masked] (Paul Iannone)
Date: 04 Sep 1995 23:37:38 GMT

In message ID <[email-masked]> on 9/4/95, Richard Finkelstein
wrote:

: Paul,
: 
: Thanks for your comments. I would be interested in comments on the
: following  from other practitioners who use Traditional Chinese
: Medicine (TCM). By
:  antibiotic herbs, are you referring to herbs such as pu gong ying 
: (dandelion). I have found this herb (when used in formulas) to be extremely

: effective and fast acting. 

Yep. In the context of epidemic illnesses, you need herbs that Clear Heat and
Relieve Toxicity (as found in Bensky, Chinese Materia Medica):

--Lonicera japonica-- (Jin yin hua), honeysuckle (very effective against
Salmonella, also Streptococcus pneumoniae, and Salmonella typhi)

--Forsythia suspensa-- (Lian qiao), forsythia fruit (Staphylococcus aureus)

--Isatis tinctoria-- (Da qing ye), woad (Salmonellla typhi, including sulfa
drug resistant strains, Shigella dysenteriae, Salmonella enteritidis)

--Taraxacum mongolicum-- (Pu gong ying), dandelion (in vitro against Strep.
pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginasa, Shigella spp., Corynebacterium
diphtheriae)

--Viola yedoensis-- (Zi hua di ding), viola (in vitro against Mycobacterium
tuberculosis)

--Chrysanthemun indicum-- (Ye ju hua), wild chrysanthemum (inhibits Staph.
aureus, Shigella spp., some ECHO viruses in vitro)

Bensky lists 19 others. Other antibiotic herbs are found in other categories.
A quick peek in Indian Traditional Healing pharmacopoeias will add another
dozen easily, then you have the American herbs, of which several are
outstanding (golden seal, etc.) and many are no doubt unknown.

--Paul  ||  [email-masked]
--