Subject: Re: Ginseng and Side effects?

From: [email-masked] (Gregory B. Dember)
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 1995 17:00:36 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, Deb Skinner <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> I would like to know of any side effects associated with the use of 
> Ginsing.
>  Panax quinquefolius  (American)
>  Panax ginseng  (Korean)
>  Eleutherococcus senticosus  (Siberian)
>   Did I get them all?
> 
> I am interested in what is the difference between the above?  How they 
> should be used?  Why choose one over the other?
> 
> I know I don't have time enough in this lifetime to read all the books 
> and study all the alternatives, so I read Usenet and hope to expand my 
> knowledge by the facts and opinions presented. I even appreciate referals 
> to books which I may have the opportunity to check into.  But this 
> squabble needs to stop taking up space on the newsgroups.  Try email and 
> leave the rest of us out of it!
> 
> I'm speaking for myself, in a very general way
> 
> Deb

I am a licensed acupuncturist, with some basic knowlege of Chinese Herbal
medicine, but I am not an expert herbalist.  Here's what I can share:

First of all, Paul Ianone is right:  these herbs are best taken under
certain circumstances, and even better, in combination with other herbs,
according to conditions.  

Panax Ginseng (radix)  is a good general tonic, especially for older
people or people who have been weakened by prolonged illness.  It is used
for cold limbs, shortness of breath, lethargy, lack of appetite, chronic
diarrhea.  It can be usefull in healthy people to strengthen the immune
system, but this is more of a Western usage than a Chinese usage.

Panax Ginseng is considered a warming herb in Chinese medicine.  Korean
ginseng, also known as Red Ginseng, is even more warming than ordinary
Panax Ginseng.

neither chinese ginseng nor korean ginseng should be used by people with
fever, night sweats, skin rashes, headaches, high blood pressure  or any
symptoms that are generally "hot" in nature.  

Siberian Ginseng is also a warming, tonifying herb.  It is used in Chinese
Medicine to invigorate blood circulation, to reduce swelling and
inflammation, and as an immune enhancer.  It should also be used
cautiously by people with "heat" signs, such as fever, rash, or night
sweats.

American Ginseng is also a tonifying herb, but it is cool in nature and so
therefore safer to use in cases of "yin deficiency".  It is often used to
strengthen elderly people who also suffer from hypertension, and should
not use Panax ginseng.

So there you have it.  SBH will protest that none of these effects are
validated by Western research, and he will find some way to ridicule the
language that I use to explain how these herbs are.  Paul Ianone may
complain that my knowlege is limited, or that I have simplified Chinese
Medicine concepts too much.  And both probably have a point.  Still I hope
that what I have shared is useful to you.

-- 
Greg Dember, M.S., L.Ac.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Iannone)
Date: 09 Nov 1995 08:51:18 GMT

In message ID <[email-masked]> on 11/8/95,
Gregory B. Dember wrote:

: Panax Ginseng is considered a warming herb in Chinese medicine.  Korean
: ginseng, also known as Red Ginseng, is even more warming than ordinary
: Panax Ginseng.
: 
: neither chinese ginseng nor korean ginseng should be used by people with
: fever, night sweats, skin rashes, headaches, high blood pressure  or any
: symptoms that are generally "hot" in nature.  

Since you predict my reply, here it is:

Panax ginseng, or Manchurian ginseng,  is available white or red from either
Korea or China. Red is more appropriately called 'cured' ginseng or 'steamed'
ginseng, and is considered to be the higher grade of ginseng. 

Panax ginseng --can-- be used in Hot conditions, with appropriate
modification. Panax ginseng can be useful in nightsweats, as there is often
the need to Boost the Digestive energies in order to take some of the
'weight' off the Kidney energies--ginseng is excellent for this.

A primary difference between American ginseng and Manchurian ginseng is that
there are few (any?) traditional formulas that use American ginseng--so it is
usually reserved for mild conditions where it can be used by itself. In other
words, it is only partly assimilated to the system of herbalism.

There are several 'ginsengs' which are ignored in the West, but NOT in the
East. The most important are Panax notoginseng (San qi), and Pseudostellaria
heterophylla, Prince root (Tai zi shen). Note should also be made of
Codonopsis pilosulae, Dang shen ('Relative root'), which is a common
substitute for Panax ginseng.

>From  personal experience, I can attest that wild Panax ginseng roots are
impressively potent.

--Paul  ||  [email-masked]
--