Subject: asthma and sinusitis

From: fosterst.mailserv.nbnet.nb.ca (Stephen Foster)
Date: 23 Jul 1995 16:00:16 GMT

Hello! This is Lisa. I have both asthma and allergies. I was lucky enough
to discover a wonderful cure for my asthma (maybe "preventative" is a
better word). It's a combination of garlic, cider vinegar and honey, made
into a syrup. If anyone would like the specific recipe, please E-mail me
at the above address. Right now though I desparately need help for my
clogged sinuses! Anyone have ideas for remedies? Thanks for your help!

From [email-masked] Jul 26 00:35:25 1995
Date: 1 Dec 1994 19:15:39 GMT
From: Ryan Taliercio <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: alt.support.asthma
Subject: Re: Asthma & Herbs

Paul Icke MIDPM ([email-masked]) wrote:
:          
:  In article <[email-masked]>, TechBabe 
:  ([email-masked]) writes: 
: >  : I use Nature's Way product called 'Breathe-Aid' which is a combination
: >  : of herbs. the main active ingredient is ephedrine root HCL. it is 
: >  : suplemented with marshmallow root, mullein leaves, chickweed herb, &
: >  : lobelia herb. You'll find various similar remedies on the market. 
: >  :all of them will have some form of ephedra. i find that herb to be 
: >  :very effective for clearing my breathing problems. this stuff is 
: >  :basically a stimulant : which also goes by the chinese name of ma
: >  :huang.
: >
: >I was using Breath Aid until I was told to stop by my doctor. Active
: >ingredient is epidrene. He said it could be very dangerous.
: >
: >Karen

: I have to agree with Karen - ephedrine is not a great idea for
: asthma. In the bad old days at college before I found a doctor who
: introduced me to Ventolin (and later beclomethasone, which really
: has kept me clear) I was fooling around with branded ephedrine
: products here in the UK - "Do-Do" and "Bronchipax". These are
: essentially mixtures of ephedrine and caffeine, the former
: fast-acting and the latter slow release. Any respiratory benefits
: of these (and I did once take Do-Do during an attack - it had no
: effect whatsoever except speed-up my panic) are wiped out by the
: high blood pressure, loss of appetite and lack of sleep. Great for
: writing my thesis through many nights in the last term; not so
: good for longevity!

: Paul.

For anyone who is interested in such herbal treatments for asthma, but does
not want to be using any form of ephedra, there are a wide variety of herbs
which can be used to help treat bronchial inflammation and spasm. Lobelia is
probably one of the best known, but others include wild yam, comfrey,
elecampane ane wild cherry bark. Some work best as tinctures while others work
best as teas. For the best information, try an herbal remedy book like "The
Way of Herbs" by Michael Tierra(C.A.,N.D) However, I would bet that most of
these remedies are not too great for treating people with severe cases of
asthma. 

From: [email-masked] (Diane M Wheeler)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs
Subject: Re: Herbs for Asthma
Date: 11 Apr 1994 16:48:03 GMT

Frederic Michael Luskin ([email-masked]) wrote: 

: >can someone please post info on herbs for asthma.  thanks.

: I use Nature's Way product called 'Breathe-Aid' which is a combination
: of herbs. the main active ingredient is ephedrine root HCL. it is 
: suplemented with marshmallow root, mullein leaves, chickweed herb, &
: lobelia herb. 

: you'll find various similar remedies on the market. all of them will
: have some form of ephedra. i find that herb to be very effective
: for clearing my breathing problems. this stuff is basically a stimulant
: which also goes by the chinese name of ma huang.

I suffer from asthma and have found ginger (used in an inhalation) or 
rosemary to help.  Another idea is hot cider vinegar compresses for 15-20 
minutes helps also - I acutally take baths in the stuff (2 quarts) twice 
a week.

Diane

From [email-masked] Jul 26 00:35:47 1995
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 95 20:55:55 -0500
From: Abraham <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs
Subject: Herbs for Asthma

I recently got very tired of taking all the prescription drugs for my asthma.
We've taken herbs for many years for many things, but it never crossed my
mind to take them for asthma.  Well, for the past two weeks, I've not used
Arobid (steriod based), Tornalat, or Preventil.  Instead I'm taking Siberian
Gensing and Parsly.  Two caps each, three times a day.  For me at least it
has worked wonders.
Rabbi Abraham Zalman Walker

From [email-masked] Jul 26 00:36:28 1995
Date: 18 May 1995 11:56:52 -0400
From: meyers <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs
Subject: Re: asthma herbal remedy

I use 2 parts coltsfoot, 1 part vervain, 1 part comfrey, 1 part yerba
santa (or chamomile).  This works for my wife.  I don't remember exactly
how this combination evolved and it wasn't recommended by any licensed
herbalist.  In my experience, it works. But I will not pretend any
expertise in this area.

From [email-masked] Jul 26 00:37:07 1995
Date: 18 May 1995 05:44:41 -0700
From: "Jennifer B. Jakiel" <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs
Subject: Re: asthma herbal remedy

ChitoQ ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I want to have an exchange of information about herbs that can relieve
: asthma.  I know one herb that can actually do almost the same effects as
: with regular drug theophylline but with less side effects.  Anyone with
: info about herbs that can do the same may write to me.

My husband has light asthma.  We found a tea at a friend's herb shop
containing (I wish I knew in what proportions):

     Angelica
     Anise
     Coltsfoot  (anybody know what this is?)
     Cocoa
     Ginkgo
     Kola nut
     Green tea
     Ma huang   

My husband has taken it, and says it works quite well.  You can try mixing
this yourself, or if anyone is interested, I can provide you with the 
address for the herb shop... I believe she does a good bit of mail-order
business.

-j

From [email-masked] Jul 26 00:37:39 1995
Date: 26 May 1995 12:05:19 -0400
From: Anthony Cosimano <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs
Subject: Re: Garlic

[email-masked] writes:
>I've never read that too much garlic can cause an allergic reaction, but
>it's a great antibiotic....the near equivalent of 1% penicillin.  Russian
>hospitals use it as an inhaler for patients with asthma.

I read that 10 clove of garlic raw is equivalent to one dose of penicillin.

tc
-- 
--
|=====================================|
| Tony Cosimano  [email-masked] |
|=====================================|