Subject: Re: Herbs to help STOP SMOKING?

From: [email-masked] (Todd Caldecott)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 16:00:16 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(CArtEffect) wrote:

> Are there any good herbal ideas to help lessen the urge to smoke tobacco?
> CArtEffect

There's a chinese patent medicine called "No-smoke" that is apparently
effective.  It consists of a small bottle from which you inhale the fumes
on a regular basis.  The result is that when the desire to smoke rears its
head and you light up you'll feel nauseated from inhaling this substance. 
I have no idea what it is or how it works but it is non-toxic and
effective.  You can find it at Chinese markets and herb stores.

Lobelia is also effective as when it is smoked or taken orally it binds to
the nicotinic receptors in the body, effectively stimulating those
receptors disallowing the highly addictive nicotine to do its stuff. 
Lobelia is not addictive, though if taken orally in excess you'll puke
your guts out.  Its better to smoke it, maybe with some scullcap and
passionflower.  Something to take orally to support the adrenals (ie.
Zand's Active Herbal) is useful to mediate the symptoms of withdrawl and
promote recovery.  You'll also need to repair lung tissue:  Mullein,
Comfrey, Elecampane, Horsetail, Coltsfoot and Slippery Elm taken as a tea
3X/day is helpful.  Maybe throw in a bit of Ma Huang (Ephedra) if you can
find it.  

Observe activities or behaviours that stimulate the desire to smoke
because of associations (ie. coffee drinking, hanging out at the bar
drinkin' beer, family reunions).

-- 
Regards... [email-masked]