Subject: Re: Indian Herbs/Kulthi

From: [email-masked] (Conrad Richter)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 94 11:13:27 EST

[email-masked] (William Bailey) writes:

> I'm wondering if anyone has a particularly good source for Indian herbs.
> Specifically, I'm looking for the Indian grain, Kulthi, or Kulth, 
> which is used for medicinal purposes. Any help would be much appreciated.

I think you are referring to _Dolichos uniflorus_ (syn. _D. biflorus_). 
According to the _Dictionary of Economic Plants in India_ (Singh U, 
Wadhwani AM, Johri BM, 1983), it is a "trailing herb, cultivated mainly in 
Andra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, as fodder crop.  Seeds are also 
eaten after boiling or frying."  

I have never seen this listed in North America.  Unless it is imported by 
the south Indian communities here, you may have to get it from India 
directly. 

What are the medicinal uses of the plant you referred to? 

Conrad Richter

RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                 [email-masked]
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests:  [email-masked]
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | Conrad Richter:     [email-masked]