Subject: SERASEE.TXT 2/2

From: [email-masked] (Four Circles)
Date: 19 Feb 1995 13:14:43 GMT

Treatment of the Seed Pods

When fruits develop, they will be soft, light green pods with a bumpy
or irregular surface.  Watch the pods till they turn completely
orange.  The stem end will be last to turn orange.  Continue to watch
it, and in a day or so more, the pod will begin to soften at the
blossom end, and, if the weather has been good, it will begin to
split.  At this time, pick the pod. Make sure the plant is dry, no dew
or rain.  Thank the plant, then use a pair of scissors or a sharp
knife to cut the stem holding the fruit, and take the fruit inside.
If you don't have time to deal with it right away, keep it in the
refrigerator.

Wash your hands throughly, then split the pod open and remove the
seeds. They will have bright red stuff on them.  This red stuff,
called the arils, must be removed or the seeds will not keep.  There
are several ways to remove the arils.  One way is, starting at the
point end, slip  your thumbnail under the aril and remove it. Then rub
or wash the seeds clean.  The arils may be kept in water.  Another way
is to put the seeds in a small bowl of clean water, and rub them with
your hands till the red stuff comes off.  This water, into which you
washed the arils, is very good.  You can drink it for sinus trouble or
rub it on your skin for bites, rashes, small wounds, etc.  Keep it in
the refrigerator till you're ready to use it.  If you have a lot of
pods and a lot of aril-water, freeze the water in an ice tray and
remove one cube at a time to use.

Still another way to remove arils, spread the seeds on a large, clean
piece of cloth or paper and allow to dry for a few days.  Then, the
arils may be easily rubbed from the seeds.  This way is easier than
washing the arils, but it does not preserve the arils as well for use;
a lot of the arils are wasted.

Set the seeds aside to dry. When they are thoroughly dry, keep them in
a clean, airtight container, protected from light and moisture, till
next spring when they are ready to plant.

Break the pod into several pieces, put it in a wide-mouth jar, and
cover it with good vinegar or rubbing alchohol.  SOme people use
strong alchoholic spirits but this is not recomended.  You can put all
of your pods in one jar and use a bottle of vinegar or whatever to
cover, or you can make up many small jars and share the with others.
This is a sort of tincture (although it is not strained) and it is
used for all sorts of skin problems by rubbing the liquid and
preserved pods on the skin.  If you don't have vinegar or other
solvent handy, keep the pod in the refrigerator till you can get some.

Another way to preserve the mature pod for future use is to cut it in
small pieces and dry them.  You can spread them out on a cookie sheet,
"inside" side up, and place the cookie sheet on top of the stove or in
the oven with the door open, and the warmth of the pilot light will
dry them.  Or, run a needle and thread thru them, stringing them like
beads, and hang in a warm dry place.

--
Save the seeds for next year's planting.  Wrap them loosely in clean
brown paper, then put the wrapped seeds in a widemouth jar with a tight
fitting lid.  Give them to others, along with copies of the latest
version of SERASEE.TXT.  Be sure and save some for yourself to plant
next year, too. I mostly distribute seeds in the spring, as that's the
time to plant them. If you distribute them in the fall, people tend to
lose them, or plant them at the wrong time.  If you have more seeds than
you have people to give them to, send some to your local AIDS support
organization, or to Of The Jungle seed co. at the address below.  (For
info on how to contact your local AIDS support organization, call the
national AIDS hotline, 1-800-342-AIDS.) Serasee is a sacred plant, and
should not be bought or sold. It is ok, however, to accept a donation to
cover the cost of distribution.

Of the methods of using products of this plant, using fresh products
is best.  Next is frozen products, then dried or preserved in tincture.

                          End of the season
In temperate climates, the plant begins to lose vigor after fall
equinox. It will produce a large number of female flowers, and at the
same time begin to weaken noticeably.  At the time of the first frost
it should be harvested, as it cannot survive the cold. Allow nearly
mature fruits to ripen on the vine so that seeds can be obtained.
(Seeds from unripe fruits are unviable). The immature fruits are
removed and preserved by drying, canning, or other ways, or they may
be prepared and eaten as a vegetable at this time.  Remove the seeds,
as they are emetic. Seeds from immature fruits are not viable for
planting, but they may be preserved separately for medicinal use in
severe cases.

At the end of the season the vines may be pulled by the roots, removed
from their support and spread out to dry.  While doing this, remove
leaves.  Good leaves may be preserved for internal use during the
winter; leaves which are withered or otherwise defective should not be
used internally.  To preserve immature fruits, slice thinly and dry by
spreading on a screen or blanket or stringing loosely.  They should be
set in partial sun and protected from moisture and insects. Immature
fruits may also be cooked and eaten fresh, canned, or preserved in
other standard ways.  Save the vines and roots for later use.  The
seeds may be planted and the cycle begin again when weather is warm,
or at any time for indoor cultivation.

Above USDA zone 6, many have reported difficulty germinating serasee,
or maintaining healthy plants in an outdoor garden.  In this case, one
may wish to consider using a heated greenhouse, or growing the plant
indoors via standard indoor gardening techniques.  But be sure to
provide lots of room!
                                 DANGER
Serasee is mildly toxic when raw.  There has been one reported human
death, when an 8 year old child consumed 8 ounces of the fresh juice
(not tea) from the leaves and stems.  There have also been occaisional
reports of illness and death in dogs who ate raw ripe fruits and seeds.
Such poisoning is highly unlikely, however.  It is quite difficult to
consume large quantites of the raw plant parts, due to its extreme
bitter taste.  A pregnant woman should not take serasee internally, as
it has been used in some abortifacent mixtures.  Also a person with
liver problems or diabetes should not use serasee except under close
medical supervision.  Serasee is primarily a preventive herb.
--

                       Recipes for Bitter Melon

        "Bitter Melon Soup", a traditional Vietnameese recipe

   Blanche several green melons in boiling water, cut lengthwise, and
remove seeds.  Stuff with a "pate" of meat if used, or soy protein,
onions, and seasoning herbs such as celery, parsley, etc.  Tie the
melons together with rubber bands, and return them to boiling water.
Cook for about an hour and salt to taste.  "It is very good for the
liver", remarked the old woman who provided this recipe.

                           Sauteed Bitter Melon

   Remove seeds of one or more green melons and cut in small pieces.
Or take a handful of leaves from the bitter melon plant and chop them
finely. Sautee along with onions, tomatoes, celery, parsley, cayenne,
salt (if used), etc.  Serve over rice, or mixed with other greens.  A
little ginger and/or molasses improves the taste.

      Other ways of preparing the immature fruits as a vegetable

   Any recipe involving summer squash or eggplant may be adapted for
use with immature serasee fruits, commonly known as bitter melons.
One may stuff them, use them in casseroles, etc.  As always, when
preparing bitter melons to use as a vegetable, remove the seeds.
Although seeds from immature pods are not viable for planting, they
may be preserved for separate medicinal use.

   Recipes can be found in Chineese cookbooks under recipes for Ku Kua
or Bitter Melon.  Many such recipes involve meat.  If one does not use
meat, tofu or reconstituted Textured Vegetable Protein may be
substituted.  If making this substitution, use extra seasoning herbs
to taste.

   If anyone finds a good recipe for bitter melon, please forward it
to the authors so that we can include it in future revisions of this
work.

                           The Serasee Alliance
 
   A Serasee Alliance is forming.  This will consist of people who are
dedicated to cultivating, studying, using, and sharing this plant.  We
will collect contact information on these people, to share with other
people who want to use or study this plant.  If you would like to have
your name added to the Serasee Alliance, please send your name, address,
and any personal information you want to share to Dee Smith at the
address below.  Names from this list will be passed on only to people
who request a local contact or those who are working on similiar areas
with Serasee.  Thank you.

--
                        Spiritual Aspects of Herbal Use

   Remember, when using herbs for medicine, that you are using the
gift of the life of a sentient being.  Always ask permission of the
plant before taking of it, and always give thanks and leave an
offering.  Some people leave a coin or semiprecious stone in the
ground, or a few drops of honey, wine, milk, tobacco, or some similar
substance.  Perhaps the bush would also appreciate an offering of
compost, Miracle-Grow, or some other plant food.  Some people cup
their hands around the plant and meditate or pray, giving energy and
blessings to the plant in return for its gift of life. Some people say
that you should not take from the first plant you "talk to", but from
others around it.  Be considerate of the plant; it is a sentient
being.  Use a sharp knife or pair of scissors for taking from it, to
minimise damage and pain to the plant.  Take only what you need; not
so much as to damage the plant.

   The best time to pick from any plant is in mid-morning, after the
dew is dried but before the sun reaches maximum height.  Except in
cases of iimmediate need, do not pick in the evening or at night, or
immediately after a rain, as the plant's vigor is diminished at these
times.  The best time to pick is on a waxing moon.  A woman on her
period should not handle live plants unless this is necessary, since
her energy is very strong and unpredictable at this time and a bit of
stray negativity can hurt the plant.

   Momordica has a very "talkative" spirit, and seems eager to
instruct the seeker in new uses.  Be open in your intuition for new
ways to use this plant.  Beware of high doses taken in a new way, as
momordica is very strong; take it easy with new uses.  This is a
versatile plant; come to it whatever your health need is, and allow
its spirit to suggest ways to help you.  Momordica is a sentient
being; its spirit will talk to you and resonds to whatever health
needs you may have.  Mormodica works from the subtlest levels to
adjust you toward health, and works best with your total cooperation
in the way of diet, attitude, etc.  This is why no chemical extracts
or synthetics should be made from momordica; such abuse would make it
impossible for its spirit to "talk" and "work".  Instead, use the
plant in its natural state, or prepared by natural means such as teas,
drying, tincture, ingredient in food, etc.  There are many sentient
plants like this on earth; momordica is one of them.

   If you find a new use for momordica that is particularly
interesting, please let us know at the addresses listed in
"references" so that we can pass this information on in future
revisions of this work.  Likewise, if future revisions are desired,
contact the authors at these addresses.

   Right now we are in a time of rapid transition and Spirit, in Its
mercy, has placed certain highly versitile medicine plants on earth
for the healing of all diseases.  Momordica is one of these plants.
So always use it with gratitude to the plant and to the Higher Power,
in whatever form you understand.

--
                                 References:

   -Wild Plants for Survival in South Florida- Julia F.  Morton, Trend
House, 1306 W.  Kennnedy Blvd, Tampa, Fla, 1974.  The botanical description
above was taken from this work.
   -A Barefoot Doctor's Manual- The American translation of the Official
Chineese Paramedical Manual, Running Press, 38 S Ninteenth St.,
Philadelphia, PA 19103
   -In addition, it is packed for shipping by Emballes Par China National,
Kwangsi, People's Republic of China.

   -Dee Smith             or email Internet: [email-masked]
    Box 1647                       [email-masked]
    Hopewell, VA  23860

     In the future Serasee should be available from the following seed
companies:

Of The Jungle, PO Box 1801, Sebastopol CA  95473.  (Of The Jungle has
agreed to distribute the seeds at a low price, covering only their
cost of distribution.)

Pinetree Garden Seeds (listed as Bitter Gourd) Box 300 New Gloucester,
ME  04260