Subject: Re: preserving fresh herbs

From: Conrad Richter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 1994 16:36:11 GMT

Dennis Klimchuk wrote: 

>Fall is falling here in Toronto, and before the frost hits, I'd like
>to harvest all my herbs.  I'll turn the basil into pesto to freeze,
>but I was wondering if there were ways to preserve other herbs
>(rosemary, sage, oregano, etc.), other than drying them.  I was
>thinking of making herb paste stuff: mincing the herbs, mixing them
>with olive oil, and keeping them in jars in the fridge.  If I make
>sure there's always a little oil over the mixture, it should stay
>preserved, yes?  Any ideas?

Try putting the oil+paste mixture in the freezer for greater longevity. 
Frozen oil is soft enough to scoop out and use in cooking. 

You can also freeze whole sprigs of fresh herbs -- only in bundles of as 
much as you would use at one time -- in plastic bags.  When you use, chop 
while frozen.  

Conrad Richter
Richters Herbs 
[100 page colour herb catalogue available]