Subject: Book Review -- A Druid's Herbal

From: [email-masked] (JuanOffhue)
Date: 30 Dec 1994 19:40:03 -0500

_A Druid's Herbal
for the Sacred Earth Year_
by Ellen Evert Hopman
Destiny Books
ISBN 0-89281-501-9
213 pages; US$12.95 softcover

Herbalism, history and Celtic folklore are combined in _A Druid's Herbal_.
Written by a master herbalist who is also vice president of an
international Druid fellowship, Ellen Evert Hopman's book tells the uses
of herbs in the context of the eight major Celtic festivals -- Samhain,
Winter Solstice, Imbolc, Spring Equinox, Beltaine, Summer Solstice,
Lugnasad and Fall Equinox.

The book details how to uses plants as herbal remedies and homeopathic
medicines, and tells what their magical uses are. For example, thistle can
be eaten or made into tea to strengthen memory, combat depression or
relieve migraine headaches; made into a homeopathic remedy it can be used
to treat stomach pain, gallstones, intermittent fever and enlarged liver.
Magically, it's useful to counteract hexing, and brings spiritual,
physical and financial blessings. No wonder the Scottish are so fond of
this purple plant!

The volume includes a section on how to prepare and use herbs, and how to
make salves, tinctures, poultices and the like. A brief explanation of
(Druid civilization and customs is given, and suggestions for rituals are
sprinkled throughout the book.

There are more comprehensive herbals (_A Modern Herbal_ by Mrs. M. Grieve
comes to mind), and there are no doubt scholarly works that explain Celtic
rituals in greater detail. But for an easy-to-read, well-researched primer
on both subjects this book is well worth seeking out. The wisdom of the
ancients makes fascinating reading.

__________________________________________________________
This review appears in the January/February issue of _Branches_, copyright
1995 by apple press, inc. It may be reproduced providing that attribution
and the copyright notice are included.