Subject: HERBALGRAM

From: [email-masked] (mbishop)
Date: 5 Oct 1994 07:50:34 GMT

The following long message describes the American Botanical Council and the
Herb Research foundation.  I am doing this for two reasons.  A number of
people asked me to post the answer to the question "What is the HRF and the
ABC?" which I posted earlier in the month (my wife found out).  So now I am
letting you know.  The second reason is that if anyone out there contacts
the ABC for the services described herein, mention that you heard of it
>from  KATHY BISHOP (my wife).  She believes strongly in the ABC's mission
and is hoping to work for the ABC.  The interview went well but
Mark Blumenthal hasn't responded yet.  So give her a plug, would ya?

What is HRF?  It is a non-profit research and educational organization.
The goals of the Foundation are to collect and disseminate accurate,
scientific information to the public, press, and the medical comunity.
The Foundation has over 30,000 pages of technical botanical literature
and specializes in scientific literature on medicinal herbs.  This
information is available to members through HERBALGRAM.  Complete files on
herbal treatments and information on specific herbs can be obtained through
HRF literature searches provided by the HRF's professional bibliographer.

Herb Research Foundation
1007 Pearl Street, #200 F
Boulder, CO 80302
(303)449-2265

The American Botanical Council (ABC) was incorporated in 1988 as a
non-profit educational organization, with its headquarters here in
Austin, Texas.  One of the main functions of ABC is the publication and
distribution of HERBALGRAM. Its broader goals and objectives are to
disseminate FACTUAL, ACCURATE information on herbs and herbal research;
increase public awareness and professional knowledge on the historical role
and current potential of plants in medicine; contribute information to
professional and scientific literature that helps establish accurate,
credible toxicological pharmacological data on various types of plants and
plant material; promote understanding regarding the importance of
preserving native plant populations in temperate and tropical zones;
provide reprints of plant-related articles, audio/video tapes, and other
educational materials; assist the HRF in achieving its goals. The next post
will provide a list of ABC services that you may be interested in using in
your business, education, or academic projects.

American Botanical Council
P.O. Box 201660
Austin, TX 78720
(512)331-8868
FAX (512)331-1924

HERBALGRAM: This beautiful magazine summarizes the most recent scientific
informtion on medicinal herbs, provides information on conferences, reviews
books, follows legal events involving herbal products, and reports on
media coverage of herbs. It has technical information but usually readable
and very interesting for the lay person.

============================================================================

A note from Kathy Bishop about the American Botanical Council
educational projects:

1.  Reprints.  A series of articles containing information on ethnomedical
and cultural uses of medicinal plants from technical and academic journals,
many of which are out-of-print or difficult to obtain.  The articles in
this series are written by noted authorities in the field and published
primarily in peer-reviewed scientific journals, books, and some popular
publications.  ABC makes these articles available to the public to
stimulate awareness of the rational and scientific basis for the role of
herbs in modern public health care.  The Classic Reprints are being sent to
freelance writers, journalists, editors, broadcasters, teachers, students,
health professionals, public policy makers, herbalists, and the lay public.
Volume I, containing 13 articles, was released in 1990, Vol II of the
Classics with 11 articles was released in August 1991, and Vol III in Dec.
1992.  ABC is currently preparing Vol IV for publication.

2) Botanical Booklets These eight-page booklets with beautiful four-color
reproductions of each plant provide ocncise, authoritative and
accurate information on twelve major medicinal plants.  Written by
botanist/author Steven Foster in a clear, precise style, this series
is an ideal resource for consumers, retail outlets, pharmacists,
nurses, nutritionists, teachers, researchers, and writers.
  These booklets are available from ABC, from health food stores, or
can be purchased in bulk by any company or organization for further
distribution.  The titles include Echinacea, Garlic, Milk Thistle,
Ginkgo, Peppermint, Chomile, Goldenseal, American Ginseng, Asian
Ginseng, Siberian Ginseng (each genseng treated separately in its own
booklet), Valerian, and Feverfew.  Titles in progress include Ephedra,
Passion Flower, Aloe Vera, Reishi mushroom, Ginger, and other popular
herbs.

3) Radio News Education Program.  Since 1989, ABC has engaged in an
active educational program with appearances on over 100 radio talk
shows.  Topics discussed include the uses and sales of medicinal herbs
in the U.S., the economic and legal factors that prohibit accurate and
proper labeling of herbal products, questions often asked by
consumers, (safety and efficacy of herbs), the need for new
regulations regarding herbs, latest research updates, and the need for
preservation of native plant habitats.  ABC has reached an estimated
radio audience of 3.5 to 5 million listeners through this project.

4.) HerbClip
Each month, the Executive Director of ABC sends dozens of articles
>from  the popular, trade and technical literature to a group of 50
scientists and researchers to keep them informed on some of the latest
developments in herbal research, legal and regulatory issues, and
related areas of concern.  Several of these scientist have
acknowledged the invaluable nature of this ABC service, while some
scientific authors are including material sent by ABC in forthcoming
books and articles.  (This would be Kathy's project if ABC hires her)

5.) Assistance to Writers, Journalists, and Editors
A vital part of ABC is its increasingly important role as a source of
herbal information for writers, publications, and the media.  In the
past four years ABC and HRF have established themselves as the leader
in this area of the "information age".  (Perhaps it is time for it to
use the Internet! What do you think?)  The need for accurate,
responsible reliable and scientifically credible information on herbs
and medicinal plants has never been greater, and this need will
continue as herbs become even more popular. Som publications for which
ABC has assisted in developing articles include Longevity, Reader's
Digest, American Health, In Health, as well as all other general
medial and newspapers.  ABC has also been active in providing articles
for the health retail and trade press includeing Natural Food
Merchandiser, Delicious!, Health Food Business, Let's Live, Whole
Foods, Vegetarian Times, and Natural Health plus magazines such as
Cosmopolitan and Elle.  ABC also provides interviews and materials for
newspapers such as the LA Times, Houston Chronicle, Chicago Sun-Times,
Philadelphia Enquirer, Boston Globe, and many more.

6) The ABC has agreements with several experienced botanists/writers
to produce books articles, and booklets for general distribution to
consumers, publications, writers, editors, health professionals, and
organizations.  Materials already published include a series of
literature reviews by Christopher Hobbs on medicinal herbs, a 181 page
paperback of the conference proceedings honoring Dr. Norman Frnsworth,
entitled "Progress on Terrestrial and Marine Natural Products of
Medicinal and Biological Interest," and "The Milk Thistle in History,
Art, and Medicine," a booklet by Gottfreid Hahn andAnneliese Meyer.

7) Native American Medicinal Plant Notecards.  Full color picture and
description by Steven Foster.

8) Adopt-A-Library Plan
The ABC program allows HERBALGRAM readers to share herbal knowledge
with their communities by donating gift subscriptions and al other ABC
publications to their favorite alumni and public libraries.

9) Regulatory Development
Consumers are at a distinct disadvantage when buying herbal products.
There are not adequate usage directions on labels for a condition or
ailment.  As long as herbs are sold as "foods" and progibited from
being properly labeled as to their health and therapeutic beneits, the
consumers' best interest will not be served.  This is due in part to
the fact that these herb products are unpatentable, and not economical
>from  a drug development perspective.
The U.S. is lagging further behind in developing a rational regulatory
policy for medicinal herbs considering the increases in government
acceptance of phytomedicines in Europe, and traditional medicines by
the Canadian ministry of Health.  ABC is working with scientists and
other influential leaders to encourage change at the Food andDrug
Administration level-=a change that will reflect a more rational,
scientific approach to the labeling and regulation of safe, low-cost
natural products such as herbs.

--
                                Sincerely,

                                Mark Bishop
			       "On Earth as it is in Austin"
My business is to teach you how to stay healthy in the 90's.  For more 
information on products and services, send e-mail.