Subject: baotanical med.reference database

From: Mitch Bebel Stargrove <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Apr 94 22:32 PDT

IBIS - the Interactive BodyMind Information System - a giant
encyclopedia of natural medicine, preventive healthcare, and
alternative therapies for health care professionals.

Written for medical practitioners, educators, students, and
researchers, IBIS combines a very large encyclopedia of
natural medicine, preventive healthcare, and alternative
therapies with note-taking and report-generating features.
IBIS allows you to quickly locate a variety of non-
suppressive treatments drawn from the entire body of
complementary medicine. IBIS also offers you basic tools
for empirical research through study of clinical outcomes;
refine your art through science.

Released just over a year ago, IBIS is receiving an
enthusiastic reception by thousands of practitioners,
medical schools, and medical libraries. Reviews in software
and medical journals have been quite favorable.

A Demo of the Macintosh version of IBIS is now available on
the InterNet via anonymous FTP from igc.apc.org as
/pub/IBIS/ibis.hqx. From your system type ftp igc.apc.org;
login as anonymous; give your InterNet address as a
password; type cd/pub/IBIS; get ibis.hqx. The file will be
transferred to your host. From there you can download it,
unbinhex it, double click on the .sea file to expand, and
double click on the Demo file to begin.

The Demo is also available on the IGC network in EcoNet (in
the mac.library), on CompuServe (under the Health and
Fitness Forum, search the library for keyword "IBIS"), on
America OnLine (go to keyword "Macintosh," choose Mac
Software Library, File Search for phrase "IBIS") and on
AppleLink (in Software Sampler/3rd party Demos &
Updates/Software Demos/HyperCard/IBIS).

The Macintosh Demo is rather large, approx. 1 MB; the full
IBIS program is 14 MB. You are welcome to download the Demo
from any of the above mentioned sites, or contact the AMR'TA
office to receive a disk copy by regular mail.

IBIS is produced by AMR'TA - a non-profit medical research
and education association. A DOS version of IBIS is also
available (with a Demo available in April), and a Windows
version is in development.

To reach AMR'TA - 
  the Alchemical Medicine Research and Teaching Association:
US toll-free: (800) 627-6851
phone: (503) 228-6851
fax: (503) 228-6904
mail: PO Box 14641, Portland, OR 97214
Compuserve: name = IBIS AMRTA, address = 73174,1044,
InterNet (via CompuServe) = [email-masked]
America OnLine: name = mstargrove
IGC: name = amrtaoffice
AppleLink: address = D6536

More Details:
Compiled from hundreds of authoritative sources, the
information in IBIS is grouped into two sections that work
together - the Therapy Cards and the Materia Medica. The
Therapy Cards are structured around 282 common medical
conditions and offer general diagnostic information (similar
to what you'd find in a Merck Manual) and treatments from
the broad spectrum of natural therapies - physical medicine,
nutrition, Western and Chinese herbs, acupuncture,
homeopathy, vibrational therapies, and psychospiritual
approaches.

The IBIS Materia Medica is quite extensive, including
detailed information on a wide range of concepts, medicinal
substances and procedures, plus a wealth of educational
patient handouts. Examples of topics covered in the IBIS
Materia Medica:
        exercises
        lots of nutritional information - details on foods,
                specialized diets (dairy-free, wheat-free, etc.),
                recipes to help make patient compliance easier
        Western and Chinese herbs and formulas
        acupuncture points and Chinese medical syndromes
        flower essences, electromagnetic therapies, influences of
                gems, minerals, sound and color
        insights into mental and emotional factors in health and
                illness, and a wide range of psychotherapeutic and

                cultural healing methods, including relaxation
                techniques, meditation, hypnotherapy, guided 
                imagery,
                psychoneuroimmunology, and much more.

IBIS also allows you to add as much of your own information
as you'd like, and link related topics. You can print
treatment plans, reports, and personalized patient handouts
(complete with customized headers and footers) directly from
the program, as well as import and export text to and from
your word processing program. A built-in research module
allows you to track your patients and evaluate clinical
outcomes.

IBIS is written specifically for health care professionals,
educators, students, and researchers. The information
requires medical education and clinical judgment for proper
application. A separate program written specifically for the
general public is now in development, with release expected
later this year.