Subject: Book recommendations sought.

From: [email-masked] (Ceci Henningsson)
Date: 8 Apr 1995 09:57:23 GMT

I'm thinking of buying a herb book. Since I'm already familiar with
the basic stuff of botany and folklore, I'd like it to be something
with a scientific bias. Something that tells me exactly why licorice
is throat soothing and what other herbs could have similar effects. I
don't care much for recipes of specific blends, since in my
experience, I'm always short of one item in them. :)

The two authors who are quoted in the FAQ _and_ available from Abyss
are:
John Lust, _Herb Book_, 6.99 USD  and
Grieve, _Modern Herbal_ two volumes at 9.95 USD each.

Unfortunately the FAQ says nothing more about Lust's book and states
that Grieve was originally written in 1931. Can someone tell me more
about these books? I don't feel like spending a lot of money on a book
that may turn out to be seriously dated.

Other herbals in the Abyss catalogue include:

David Hoffmann, _Herbal Handbook, User's Guide_ for 10.95 USD
Clarence Meyer, _Herbalist_, 11.95
Jeanne Rose, _JR's Modern Herbal_ 9.95
Beyerl, _Master Book of Herbalism_, 14.95

Do you have any experience of these? I would be grateful for any
recommendations, personal experience and warnings. 

Oh yeah, I live in Northern Europe, so books about American medical
plants aren't of much use to me. I do grow many of the wellknown
European herbs, though.
--
=====[email-masked]===================================================
"I could never be a woman. I would just stay home and 
 play with my breasts all day." Steve Martin in _LA Story_
===========================================================================