Subject: Re: herb book wanted
From: [email-masked] (P.J. Evans)
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 1994 14:48:42 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs

My two favorites are:

Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs
Rodale Press, Emmaus, PA
ISBN# 0-87857-699-1

Explores the uses of 140 common herbs.  Goes into great detail from growing
to symptoms of overuse and medical warnings/recommendations.  Lists
medicinal uses both ancient and current as well as any scientific work that
has been done.  I have seen the book in both Waldens and B. Dalton
bookstores.

and:

The Herb Book
by John Lust
Benedict Lust Publications, NY, NY
ISBN# 0-8704-007-6
(newly available in paperback)

Lists 514 herbs.  Information on growing conditions, botanical
descriptions, medicinal uses and warnings, dosages.  Also fairly lengthy
indexes of ailments and herbs for their treatment.  This book has become
very dog-eared in a short amount of time.  It contains a true wealth of
information.

[email-masked]