Subject: Re: Brown Recluse Spider

From: [email-masked] (Gary Blumenstein)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 02:03:55 GMT

Werner J. Lilie ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
: (Mary E. Bowen) wrote:

: > According to the doctor, my husband has received a nasty bite from a brown
: > recluse spider.  The only info we have been able to find indicates that skin
: > cells begin to die at the point of injection of toxin and continues to grow.
: > The doctor will measure growth within a week to determine if surgery is 
: > required to remove the lump that has resulted.
: > 
: > Any information about the spider, bite symptoms, treatments would be
: > greatly appreciated.

: Im into spiders a bit, whats the latin name of that guy (the spider :-) ?
: What size ? How does the doctor know it was that spider ?

: Tschuess.....
:             WL

I beleive it's genus is Loxocelese but I can't remember the species.
The Black Widow is Latrodectus mactans of course.  I read that
Loxocelese venom produces an ucler around the site of the bite [See
Arnold - Bites and Stings of Venomous Animals].  You should have your
physician do some research at a medical library to find relevent
information on treatment.  Or have him call the CDC.  There's probably
sufficient information around.

Gary.

"Anyone can take something simple and make it complex. Taking something
complex and making it simple, that's creativity."  -Charles Mingus