Subject: Qigong Database - Release Notice

From: [email-masked] (Steven Boyle)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 17:48:30 GMT

Qigong Databaseª  
 
              Search the literature for medical applications 
                and experimental studies of Chinese Qigong

     Qigong is part of traditional Chinese medicine, a holistic system of
healing for therapeutic balancing of the bodyÕs energy, that includes
acupuncture, herbs, nutrition and massage. Qigong achieves therapeutic
balancing by combining meditation with certain physical exercises. Qigong
has the advantages of not only being effective for many medical problems
but also being a good preventive medicine, amenable to learning by almost
anyone without side effects, and virtually free. Chinese scientists have
performed extensive experimental and clinical studies on many medical
applications of Qigong. Basic studies have been carried out to rule out
psychological effects, and recent studies include controls and statistical
analysis. The scientific research performed in China on medical
applications of Qigong is too large and significant to be ignored by
western scientists and medical practitioners. Efforts should be made to
examine this large body of research, identify medical applications that
potentially can improve western healthcare, and conduct further research as
needed. 

     Almost all of the vast research on Qigong has been carried out in
China and is published in Chinese. Most of the English descriptions of
these research studies appear as abstracts printed in the proceedings of
international Qigong conferences. This material is not indexed, not even in
a given proceeding. To provide access to the information in these
abstracts, a computerized Qigong Database in English was developed by the
Qigong Institute, East West Academy of Healing Arts. The Qigong Database
enables health professionals, scientists, the public, and policy makers to
discover how Qigong has been applied in clinical work and experimental
research, and how Qigong can be used to improve western health care. The
Qigong Database also will serve as a directory of research completed and
provide a basis for deciding what research still should be performed.

	The Qigong Database provides means to search and sort material in more
than 800 abstracts in the proceedings of the nine international Qigong
conferences held since 1986. Bibliographies can be produced and printed
based on keywords of your choice. The abstracts range in length from a
paragraph to several pages. Many of the abstracts contain information on
methodology, controlled experiments, results that are often summarized in
tables, statistical analysis, and conclusions. While the research may not
always meet strict scientific standards, taken as a whole, the vast
research on Qigong and the favorable results reported provide confidence
that Qigong has the potential to improve Western health care

	The Qigong Database is a read-only program in English for searching,
sorting and printing records, and it is based on Pro-Cite bibliographic
software. An introductory level of the Qigong Database (v 1.0) includes
titles, authors and institutions of more than 800 abstracts in nine
proceedings of international Qigong conferences. Version 1.5 also includes
approximately 109 complete abstracts from the Second World Conference of
Academic Exchange of Medical Qigong held in Beijing in 1993. In the future,
the Qigong Database will be further updated to include information from
other Qigong conferences and scientific papers. The Qigong Database is
available for Macintosh (6.0.2 and higher) and DOS (3.0 and higher)
computers with a hard drive. We also offer a bibliographic search service.
The proceedings of the nine international Qigong conferences, which contain
the abstracts, are also available.

The Qigong Databaseª is Based on the Following International Qigong
Conferences:

1. Second World Conference for Academic Exchange of Medical Qigong,
Beijing, China 1993
2. Third International Qigong Conference, Kyoto, Japan 1992: (a) in
Japanese or (b) in Chinese
3. Fourth International Symposium on Qigong, Shanghai, China 1992
4. Third National Academic Conference on Qigong Science, Guangzhou, China
1990
5. Third International Symposium on Qigong, Shanghai, China 1990
6. Fifth International Congress of Chinese Medicine and First International
Congress of Qigong, 
University of California Berkeley, California, USA 1990
7. Second International Conference on Qigong, XiÕan, China 1989
8. First World Conference for Academic Exchange of Medical Qigong, Beijing,
China 1988
9. First International Seminar on Qigong, Shanghai, China 1986

     Inquires should be send via mail to: 

              Qigong Institute
              East West Academy of Healing Arts
              561 Berkeley Ave
              Menlo Park, CA 
                           94025

The Qigong Databaseª is published and copyrighted 1994 by the Qigong
Institute.
The East West Academy of Healing Arts is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
and the Qigong Institute is a subsidiary. [11/94]

-- 
Steve Boyle 
[email-masked]     "Welcome to a world where imagination is the source 
                       of value in the economy. It's an insane world, and
                       in an insane world, sane organizations make no
                       sense."     - Tom Peters