Subject: Re: Ginko Biloba and Alzheimer's

From: [email-masked] (Steven Wm. Fowkes)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 16:20:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, 
Steve Russell ([email-masked]) writes:
>In article <[email-masked]>,
>Charles Ofria <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>In article <[email-masked]>,
>>monique <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>Greetings -  I am looking for information/success stories
>>>regarding the use of Ginko Biloba to treat Alzheimer's? 
>>>I would also appreciate any info on Alzheimer's in general and
>>>other possible treatments.  Many thanks! 
>>
>>Greetings,
>>
>>      Recently in my Neuro-biology class, we were learning about
>>nerve growth factor which is supposed to increase the plasticity of
>>neurons in the brain, and thus increase learning (and indirectly
>>memory - I'm not sure how that part works).  Anyway, experiments were
>>discused where elderly rats were injected with NGF, and their learning
>>abilities shot up to meet that of young rats.  I think this would be
>>more complicated to use on humans, but I know work is being done on
>>it.
>>      Anyway, this prompted me to research through herbs to see if I
>>could find any which would promote the bodies natural production of
>>NGF, and Ginkgo was what I found to have the best match.  Now here's
>>the kicker; the research which matched best between the two were very
>>similar results on Alzheimer's patients.  Unfortunately, I have not
>>been able to find enough on this to be meaningful, and will continue
>>to investigate.  Please tell me if you find anything else on the
>>matter.
>>
>>                                      --- Charles
>>
>>
>
>The book SMART DRUGS AND NUTRIENTS lists several studies which support
>the use of gingko as therapy for altzieimers disease.  They also have
>chapters that list about half a dozen drugs and supplements that significantly
>help altziemer victims.
>
The book SMART DRUGS II (I am a co-author) has an entire chapter on
Alzheimer's treatment and prevention which discusses more than a
dozen low-toxicity approaches. If it's really Alzheimer's disease,
none of these treatments deal with the mechanism of the
condition. They are only ameliorative, but they are better than
nothing if you have the money to afford them, and the wish for
a few more years of quality life. If it's senility misdiagnosed
as Alzheimer's disease, the prognosis is better.

One other subscriber mentioned the finding that zinc can
aggravate Alzheimer's disease significantly. I've read the
paper and it seems sound enough to alert people against elective
zinc supplements in afflicted individuals. It appears that the
deposition of amyloid protein is accelerated by zinc ions, and
should therefore be avoided without a specific medical
indication. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Steven Wm. Fowkes ([email-masked])       voice: 415-321-CERI
Cognitive Enhancement Research Institute        fax: 415-323-3864
PO Box 4029, Menlo Park, CA 94026 USA           alt: 415-321-6670
-----------------------------------------------------------------