Subject: Re: Ginko Biloba and Alzheimer's

From: [email-masked] (Steve Russell)
Date: 14 Nov 1994 17:15:49 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Charles Ofria <[email-masked]> wrote:
>In article <[email-masked]>,
>monique <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>Greetings -  I am looking for information/success stories
>>regarding the use of Ginko Biloba to treat Alzheimer's? 
>>I would also appreciate any info on Alzheimer's in general and
>>other possible treatments.  Many thanks! 
>
>Greetings,
>
>	Recently in my Neuro-biology class, we were learning about
>nerve growth factor which is supposed to increase the plasticity of
>neurons in the brain, and thus increase learning (and indirectly
>memory - I'm not sure how that part works).  Anyway, experiments were
>discused where elderly rats were injected with NGF, and their learning
>abilities shot up to meet that of young rats.  I think this would be
>more complicated to use on humans, but I know work is being done on
>it.
>	Anyway, this prompted me to research through herbs to see if I
>could find any which would promote the bodies natural production of
>NGF, and Ginkgo was what I found to have the best match.  Now here's
>the kicker; the research which matched best between the two were very
>similar results on Alzheimer's patients.  Unfortunately, I have not
>been able to find enough on this to be meaningful, and will continue
>to investigate.  Please tell me if you find anything else on the
>matter.
>
>					--- Charles
>
>

The book SMART DRUGS AND NUTRIENTS lists several studies which support
the use of gingko as therapy for altzieimers disease.  They also have
chapters that list about half a dozen drugs and supplements that significantly
help altziemer victims.

Good Luck
Steve R
[email-masked]