Subject: Books (was: help a neophyte)
From: [email-masked] (Mark Danburg)
Date: 29 Jun 1993 19:02:51 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.meditation

Here's a completely subjective look at several books on meditation.  I
hope that some of you find it useful.

	_The New Three Minute Meditator_ by David Harp.  This book focuses on
short meditations that you could squeeze into your day easily, thus relaxing
yourself on a regular basis and reducing your general stress level.  Easy to
read, easy to practice.

	_How to Meditate_ by Lawrence LeShan.  This book focuses on meditation
as a gradual life-improving technique.  It includes several frameworks for
classifying different kinds of meditation (structured/unstructured or mind/
emotion/body or so on) and discusses related issues (psychotherapy, ESP stuff)
This is the book I usually recomend to beginners.

	_The Fine Arts of Relaxation, Concentration, and Meditation_ by Joel
Levey.  This book is sort of a "cookbook" of meditations, describing 50 or
so different techniques.  Good for a window-shopper of meditations.

	_The Meditative Mind_ by Daniel Goleman.  More a book about meditation
than a teaching book.  Execellent survey of different traditions of meditation
and how they fall together.  My personal favorite.

	_Journey of Awakening_ by Ram Dass.  Ram Dass has written a number of
lovely books.  This one has nice sections on what to expect from meditation
and choosing the path best suited for you, but my favorite sections are on
dealing with the inevitable problems meditators face.

	_Freedom in Meditation_ by Patricia Carrington, Ph.D.  An excellent
scientific analysis of meditation with some very good theories.  Kind of a
dense read, but maybe that's just me.

	Of course (as _all_ of these books say), the important thing is
not to read about meditation, but to meditate.

_______________________________________________________________________________
Peace to all who read this.....Mark [email-masked]
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////////////////////////