Subject: Re: EMF level in residential home

From: [email-masked] (Kent J Riley)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 20:43:32 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Paul M. Booth) writes:

|> >Keywords: electro magnetic field in homes
|> 
|> 
|> >Hi, I am posting this out of kindness for a stranger who called
|> >UCLA to find out what is the acceptable level of electro magnetic
|> >field in residential homes. 
|> >Reply by email or call
|> 
|> >Sam (310)659-5414.
|> 
|> >Thank you for your attention. 
|> >
|> I think this info  would be of general interest.  Please post.
|> 
|> Thank You
|> Paul Booth
|> 
|> 
|> 

There is a FAQ prepared by John Moulder at the Medical College of
Wisconsin.  The following describes it and tells how to get it:

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Power-Frequency Fields and Cancer

This 6-part FAQ sheet (v2.7.1) was posted to sci.med.physics,
sci.answers, and news.answers on 3-Feb-95.

Revisions (v2.7, 1-Feb-95). Armstrong el al ('94), Tynes et al ('94) and
Savitz & Loomis ('94) were added to the section on new occupational
epidemiology, and a separate section added to discuss the Armstrong
pulsed-field lung cancer study.  The sections on biological effects and on
mechanisms of interaction of ELF fields with biological systems were
modified and expanded.  New sections on electrical appliance and cancer,
and the question of whether corona discharges cause ionizing radiation
were added.  A specific "should I buy a house next to a powerline" Q&A was
added.

The primary anonymous FTP archive is:
cdmas.crc.mcw.edu/pub/powerlines_and_cancer
This archive contains both the posted 6-part version and a complete 1-
part version.

The FAQ sheet is archived in the following places:

Anonymous FTP and Gopher:
"rtfm.mit.edu"
Directory: /pub/usenet-by-group/news.answers/powerlines-cancer-FAQ
Files: part1, part2,... part6

E-mail server:
[email-masked]
-To get the current FAQ you would send the following message
   send /pub/usenet-by-group/news.answers/powerlines-cancer-FAQ/part1
   . . .
   send /pub/usenet-by-group/news.answers/powerlines-cancer-FAQ/part6

On World Wide Web in the US at:
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/powerlines-cancer-FAQ
On World Wide Web in Europe at:
http://www.cs.ruu.nl/cgi-bin/faqwais

* Part1 *
Full table of contents, changes, sources, acknowledgments, etc.

* Parts 2 thru 4*
- Why is there a concern about powerlines and cancer?
- What is the difference between the electromagnetic (EM) energy
associated with power lines and other forms of EM energy?
- Why do different types of EM sources produce different biological
effects?
- What is difference between EM radiation and EM fields?
- How do non-ionizing EM sources cause biological effects?
- What sort of power-frequency fields are common in residences and
workplaces, and can they be reduced?
- What is known about the relationship between powerline corridors and
cancer rates?
- What is known about the relationship between "electrical occupations"
and cancer rates?
- Do laboratory studies indicate that power-frequency fields can cause
cancer?
- Do laboratory studies indicate that power-frequency fields have any
biological effects that might be relevant to cancer?
- Do power-frequency fields show any reproducible biological effects
in laboratory studies?
- What about the "new studies" showing a link between power-frequency
fields and cancer?
- What criteria do scientists use to evaluate this combination of
contradictory laboratory and epidemiological studies?
- If exposure to power-frequency magnetic fields does not explain the
epidemiological studies which show increased cancer incidence, what could?
- What is the strongest evidence for and against a connection between
power-frequency fields and cancer?
- What studies are needed to resolve the cancer-EMF issue?
- Is there any evidence that power-frequency fields cause any human
health hazards?
- Are there exposure guidelines for power-frequency fields?
- What effect do powerlines have on property values?
- How do you measure power-frequency magnetic fields?
- Should I buy a house next to a power line?

* Parts 5 and 6 *
Annotated Bibliography
- Recent Reviews of the Biological and Health Effects of Power-
Frequency Fields
- Epidemiology of Residential and Occupational Exposure to Power-Frequency
Fields
- Human Studies Related to Power-Frequency Exposure and Cancer
- Biophysics and Dosimetry of Power-Frequency Fields
- Laboratory Studies of Power-Frequency Fields and Cancer
- Laboratory Studies of Power-Frequency Fields and Reproductive
Toxicity
- Regulations and Standards for Ionizing and Non-ionizing EM Sources.

Copyright (C) by John Moulder and the Medical College of Wisconsin