Subject: Re: tofu

From: John Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 95 17:26:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Teo Wei Seng" writes:

> 
> can anyone tell me what substance is added to make tofu (bean curd) solidify.
> I heard that it is some calcium compound but would like to confirm it.
> Is this calcium readily absorbed and used by human body ?
> 
> thanks in advance,
> 

Some brief extracts:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Vegetarian Society UK
Soya & Mycoprotein
Information Sheet

[...]

Tofu

Tofu is soya bean curd made from coagulated soya milk. Soya beans are 
soaked, crushed and heated to produce soya milk to which a coagulating agent
such as calcium sulphate or calcium chloride is added. The resulting soya
curd is then pressed to give tofu. Tofu is sometimes known as soya cheese,
and is sold as blocks packaged in water. It can be bought as silken tofu,
which is soft and creamy in texture, or as a denser, firmer version. The 
firmer kind may also be purchased smoked or marinated. Tofu tends be fairly
bland tasting and is best used in recipes where flavour is imparted by other
ingredients. Firm tofu may be marinated, fried, stir-fried, deep-fried,
sauteed, diced and added to salads or casseroles. Silken tofu can be used
for dips, spreads, sauces and sweet dishes. As well as having a high protein
content, tofu also contains calcium, iron, and vitamins B1, B2 and B3.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Vegetarian Society UK
Calcium
Information Sheet

[....]

Good Sources of Calcium (single servings)

Broccoli, boiled (95g or 3.5 oz)    72 mg
Spinach, boiled (130g or 5 oz)     208 mg
Chick peas, boiled (200g or 8 oz)   92 mg
Baked beans (200g or 8 oz)          90 mg
Tofu (60g or 2 oz)	           304 mg     <---
Dried figs (4 figs)	           168 mg
Sesame seeds (15g or 0.5 oz)        20 mg
Brazil nuts (9 nuts, 30 g)          54 mg
Cows milk (0.3 pint)	           234 mg
Cheddar cheese (slice, 40 g)       288 mg
Soya cheese (slice, 40 g)          180 mg

Fair Sources

Brown bread (2 slices)              70 mg
Dried apricots (8 apricots)         46 mg
Cottage cheese (45g or 1.5 oz)      33 mg
French beans, boiled (100g)         41 mg

Poor sources

Spaghetti, boiled (100g or 3.5 oz)   7 mg
Brown rice (190g or 8 oz)            7 mg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tofu is the highest, per serving, on the list and it seems some that other 
soya products, such as soya milk, are often fortified with calcium. Presumably
at least some of the calcium in tofu is coming from the coagulent in an 
absorbable form.

The complete versions of both these Info Sheets are on the web pages and
auto-email server below.

John
-- 
http://www.veg.org/veg/Orgs/VegSocUK/ - The Vegetarian Society UK
http://www.veg.org/veg/Orgs/Viva/     - Viva!
http://www.veg.org/veg/Orgs/EVU/      - European Vegetarian Union

For VegSocUK files by auto-respond email send an email to [email-masked]
- with just the following message:  GET VEGSOCUK.IDX
- you will receive an index to about 200 files retrievable in the same way.