Subject: Re: Growing sprouts

From: [email-masked] (Rhonda J Brines)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 01:11:39 GMT

<stuff asking how to grow sprouts deleted>

: 	to sprout; put 1 TBS of seed into the jar, fill halfway
: with water, add the screen lid, and let sit overnight.  in the
: morning, drain and rinse the seeds through the screen lid.  drain
: well, then place the jar on its side in a dark place (like in a
: cupboard).  twice a day, rinse and drain through the screen.
: when the sprouts are almost ready, some people like to leave them
: in the light for one day to get a bit of green in them.

: enjoy, 
: chuck/
i'm a bit confused here... if there's no light, and no medium full of 
tasty nutrients, where do the seeds get the energe to grow from?

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 18:58:05 GMT

> tasty nutrients, where do the seeds get the energe to grow from?

the seeds get water from the soaking.  Like an egg, seeds contain
the initial nutrients that they need to get going.  It's not until
they get past the sprout stage that they need outside influences
beyond plain water.

ask any gardener, many seeds are first sprouted in damp paper
towels before moving to soil.

trust me, it works :-)

c/

-----------------------------------------------------------
| Chuck Narad -- diver/adventurer/engineer                |
|                                                         |
|   "The universe is full of magical things, patiently    |
|   waiting for our wits to grow sharper."                |
|                                                         |
|                   -- Eden Phillpotts                    |
|                                                         |
-----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 02:43:22 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Rhonda J Brines) writes:
}i'm a bit confused here... if there's no light, and no medium full of 
}tasty nutrients, where do the seeds get the energe to grow from?

Seeds are full of fat. Think about sunflower seeds as an easy
example. That is why health food stores caution that you should
probably refrigerate millet, wheatberries, and other seeds --
they could go rancid from the fat content. The fat (and probably
other goodies I don't know about) is all provided by Mom Nature
to nurture the sprout, and it does a *great* job.

When the sprout is fully grown the original seed is just an
empty husk; it has given all of its substance as energy for the
growing sprout.
-- 
Curtis Jackson                 There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that
[email-masked]       all employees are going to be required to have
Mountain View, CA  USA         lobotomies . . . at least not at the prices we
                               were quoted.  -- "Dilbert"