Subject: Re: fried tofu and veggie burgers?

From: [email-masked] (Alan Woods)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 20:24:15 GMT

too crispy/underdone is rather in the eye (and mouth) of the beholder, I think.
We usually preheat the pan (we use cast iron), when it's pretty hot, spritz 
olive oil in it and toss in the tofu, following the old Chinese wok maxim, cold
oil, hot pan.  How much oil determines how crispy the tofu gets.  Reduce the 
heat, and saute to your taste.  We don't use much oil, and tend to toast the 
tofu rather than saute it.  I'd braise frozen tofu chunks only, so they could 
absorb the braising liquid.  As for sauces:  we use Jyoti brand Indian sauces a
lot, along with mushroom gravies, mushroom duxelles, or some basic curries.
We also sometimes make a variation of saltimbucca romana without the meat: a 
slice of sauteed tofu, topped with a slice of soysage, topped with a slice of 
mozzarella (or soyarella, if you prefer vegan), with a tomato-mushroom sauce 
over all.  Run the assemblage under the broiler or through the microwave until 
the (soy)cheese is melted.

     Alan and Ann Woods

>also, when i spent some time in britain, i discovered these delicious
>vegetable burgers that, unlike those nasty brown soyburgers we've got
>here, were actually patties made of rice and other vegetables like peas
>and carrots, and possibly flavored with pepper and ginger. yum. however,
>now that i'm back in the states, i can't find them. does anyone who
>lives in the pittsburgh area know where i might be able to pick these up?
>