Subject: <none>

From: [email-masked] (Michael Traub)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 10:26:29 GMT

Subject: <none>

Newsgroups: rec.food.veg.cooking
Path: traub
From: [email-masked] (Michael Traub)
Subject: Re: Chick peas
Organization: Veggies Unlimited
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 10:26:24 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>

In article <[email-masked]>,
Eileen 'Lee' Katman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Soak Chickpeas for 24 hours (put in fridge to avoid fermentation)
>Boil/simmer for 3 hours or until they mush when you put one on
>your tongue and press it against the roof of your mouth. (they act 
>VERY different from lentils so I would recommend pre-cooking, in 
>addition to pre-soaking).

If you soaked the chickpeas for a day and then boiled them for three
hours you'll end up with mush. Soak overnight and boil for 45 minutes or
15 minutes in a pressure cooker. Don't soak them in the fridge, it is a
waste of time and money. They soak much better in warm water and any
possible fermentation is irrelevant after five minutes of boiling.

-- 
Michael Traub, [email-masked]  FAQ keeper rec.food.veg & VEGAN-L
To err is human, to moo bovine.