Subject: Re: Vege with highest protien?

From: [email-masked] (Richard L Barnaby)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 00:25:28 GMT

[email-masked] (Gabe Harris) writes:

>Could anyone tell me what vegetable has the highest complete protien count in 
>a cup serving?
>-- 
Well, I'm no authority, but I think that Soybeans and Sesame seeds are
about in a tie for grams of protein per 100 grams at (approx) 9.4.
I don't know if by "vegetable" you mean "any vegetable source
including bean or seed, or whether you mean a root or leaf vegetable.
This is drawing on a (often faulty) memory, so please get confirmation
of my figures.

barnaby
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Kimmy007)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 21:44:09 GMT

According to Mcdougall and others, no  one vegetable has all 8 or 9 amino
acids and is complete. However, you don't have to get them all from one
source..if you eat variety, you will get complete proteins easily from
vegetables.

We do not need to eat nearly the amount of protein we do (there is
presently no disease in this country that has anything to do with protein
deficiency). Most now suggest only 10-15% protein in our diets. You can
get that easily from veggies. Eat a variety!

[ Moderator's note:  I'm not sure where you got your info, but strictly
		     speaking, this is not true.  You can consult
		     any nutrition database (like Pennington's) and see
		     that many plant foods have all the essential amino
		     acids in varying proportions.  Soy protein is as
		     "good" as beef.  But no self-respecting nutrition
		     specialist would make the claim that protein
		     combination is essential for vegetarians.  This
		     has been known to be false for many years. Consult
		     professional reference books, like Linder.  ]