Subject: Peruvian Quinoa Stew

From: [email-masked] (Freedom963)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 00:03:48 GMT

Hi folks... several people have asked me for this recipe so I'm posting it
here. It's from the book "Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home," by the
Moosewood collective.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Total time: 35 minutes

Servings: 4

1/2 c. quinoa
1 c. water
-----------------
2 c. chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 celery stalk, chopped [I used a pinch of celery seed]
1 carrot, cut on the diagonal into 1/4 inch pieces
1 bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 c. cubed zucchini
2 c. undrained chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
1 c. water or veg. stock
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
pinch of cayenne (or more to taste)
2 tsp fresh oregano (1 tsp dried)
salt to taste
------------------
chopped fresh cilantro (optional) [I used dried]
grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (optional)

Using a fine sieve, rinse the quinoa well. Plave it in a pot with the
water and cook, covered, on medium -low heat for about 15 minutes, until
soft. Set aside.

While the quinoa cooks, in a covered soup pot saute the onions and garlic
in the oil for about 5 minutes on med. heat. Add the celery and carrots,
and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the bell pepper,
zucchini, tomatoes, and water or stock. Stir in the cumin, chili powder,
coriander, cayenne, and oregano, and simmer covered, for 10 to 15 minutes,
until the vegetables are tender. Stir the cooked quinoa into the steww and
add salt to taste. Top with cilantro and grated cheese, if you wish. Serve
immediately.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

I didn't use the cheese, and it was delicious enough to greatly please
some non-veg friends. Hope you all enjoy it!

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   
"I find I always have to write *something* on a steamed mirror." -- Elaine
Duddy