Subject: Re: Home fries

From: [email-masked] (dana p.)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 23:06:44 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Srinivasan
Venkateswaran) wrote:

> Can anybody tell me how to make home fries? I have enjoyed it in 
> restaurants for breakfast, but do not know how to make it at home.
> 

we usually start out by throwing about 6 or 7 russett potatoes (and some
red if we have any) in the microwave and let them cook on high for 10-15
minutes, so that they're partially cooked, but not mushy like you'd want a
baked potato.  if you don't have a microwave, then you could probably
start by baking them for 1/2 an hour.  While the potatoes are cooking, i
saute 1 large diced onion, 4-5 minced garlic cloves, a diced bell pepper
and some mushrooms in some olive oil and red wine.  
   once the potatos are done, we chop them up into medium size squares,
turn the heat on under a big skillet and pour in some oil.  we then add
the potatoes, and after they have fried a while on their own, we throw in
the saute.  if you find that the potatos are sticking because the oil has
absorbed, add a little liquid like red wine, water or broth, which should
help.  we usually let the potato and saute mixture cook on high heat for
15 minutes, until the potatoes have lost their crunch.  and that's about
it!  i'll be interested to see other people's versions.  good luck!  dana
p