Subject: Re: Pickled Onion

From: [email-masked] (Guava Bob)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 06:41:51 GMT

The secret to any Pickled Onion (PO hereafter) is not the ingredientsQitUs
the method of making it. Of course, it always helps to have good onions to
start. 1st important thing to always do:  salt the onions. Whether you like
whole, wedges, quarters, or slices...salting before pickling will make
crunchy onions and help keep them from getting chewy or soggy. 2nd
important thing is heating the vinegar while dissolving sugar. IUm no
scientist, but, something about this step makes the onions take in the
flavor more evenly.

Best onions are Maui Onions, Texas Whites, and Vidalias. Yellow onions are
okay, but, choose the young ones to avoid excessive RbiteS.

The following is a starter recipe, but, is subject to change according to
your own taste. Some like it really sweet (almost relish-like), some donUt
even like the sugar at all.

Make-To-Taste Standard Pickled Onions
2 quart size jars
4 very large onions
Enough salt to coat the cut onions
3 cups regular vinegar 
1/2 cup cider vinegar (use water here for less tartness) 
1 cup sugar (you can increase or decrease to taste)
1/4 teas. salt
2 cloves garlic-peeling and scored
2 dried bay leaves
Optional...1 red chili pepper-remove seeds, cut in 2 pieces

Skin and cut onions as desired. Bath in salt and let stand in a colander
for 20-30 mins. Meanwhile, in a pot, heat vinegars, sugar, and 1/4 teas
salt. Do not boil. Just heat enough to dissolve ingredients. Let cool to
room temperature.

Rinse off onions completely. Let onions stand in fresh water for 10
minutes. Add one clove garlic and one bay leaf to each jar. If using red
chili add now. Drain onions briefly and pack onions on top garlic and bay
leaf. Pour cooled vinegar mixture equally over onions. Refrigerate and
serve.

Aloha,
GuavabobUs partner Faye