Subject: Re: potato soup recipe (was Re: asparagus recipes)

From: [email-masked] (Kimberly Ann Weeden)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 02:28:08 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Linda A Galvin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>My mom has an excellent asparagus soup recipe, I'll bring it tommorrow. Does
>anyone have a GOOD recipe for potato soup..since I garden produce is over
>running my house.  Or i can get great cookbooks at the library with 
>recommendations.  thank you.  I'm new to this posting hope it arrives.
>:)

Linda --

I'm partial to the Potato/Green Chile soup recipe in the Moosewood
Cookbook... or, come to think of it,  maybe in Enchanted Broccoli 
Forest. I don't have either book in front of me, but my interpretation 
of the recipe goes something like this. Proportions are of course
flexible.

saute half an onion and two or three cloves garlic in olive oil 
add a diced stalk or two of celery (optional)
add "some" peeled and cubed potatoes and enough water to cover
boil until the potatoes are tender
stick the potatoes and their water in a blender and blend until
     sorta the right consistency (add milk if necessary)
return the potato mixture to the soup pot, turn heat to as
     low as it can go
add 1 small can of green chiles and a few green onions
add salt, black pepper, cayenne, cumin, or whatever else floats your boat
serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese

I recall that the original recipe calls for cream (added just before
serving). I never have cream around, so I use milk or skip it
altogether.

Mmmmm, tasty!

Best, Kim