Subject: Re: what to do with Kale or butternut squash

From: [email-masked] (Greg Shenaut)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 16:07:14 GMT

ckline ([email-masked]) wrote:
: we get a box of assorted vegetables weekly, and in their was a butternut
: sqaush, and a bunch of kale, any suggestions how to eat either of these?
: thanks

Kale you can just cook up like any green--one way I like is stir-fried
in a tiny bit of oil with onions, garlic, and ginger. When cooked, add a
little broth and a splash of soy sauce & serve it with sticky rice. It
is also v. good added to soups.

Butternut squash is harder (so to speak). One dish we liked was to cook
it with cut-up apples, raisins, date sugar, and such spices as cinnamon,
allspice, and nutmeg--this results in a hardy sweet dish. By far the
best was an adaptation of a suggestion from this group--a kind of
curried squash. You just cook it up with assorted other goodies ad lib,
including curry powder mixed with a little water or stock. You let it
cook for quite a while, checking it for doneness periodically--don't let
it get too done, because then it's mushy. The squash is so bland, it
sort of becomes impregnated with the curry and other flavors. Adding a
touch of contrastive sweetness, as you would in any curry, is nice
(raisins, e.g.).

BTW, we get a box of veg. too--by any chance do yours come from
Fiddlers Green?

--
Greg Shenaut -- [email-masked]