Subject: Re: Recipe for apple butter [actually]

From: [email-masked] (Kathi Webster)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 1995 06:16:47 GMT

>I could not find a recipe for apple butter.  I was, however,
>able to locate a recipe for carrot butter.  I have substitued
>the apple for carrots and included the rest.

Here is an apple butter recipe from one of Nathan Pritikins' books. I've made 
it, and it's delicious. Someone commented they didn't like the apple butter
too sweet. If so, you'll like this recipe. 

Ingredients:
6 large or 8 medium apples
1 cup water
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons frozen apple-juice concentrate
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 tablespoon cornstarch.

Peel, core and thinly slice the apples. Place in a pot with the water, 1/4 cup 
of the apple juice, cinnamon and cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and 
simmer uncovered for an hour. Mix the cornstarch with the remaining 2 
tablespoons apple juice until smooth. Add the cornstarch paste to the apples a 
few minutes before the end of the cooking period, stirring while the mixture 
thickens. Transfer to a blender and puree; continue to blend until smooth.
[I used a Braun hand blender and it worked just fine to blend ingredients].

Enjoy!

...Kathi

----------------
Kathi Webster		
Tampa FL, USA		
[email-masked]