Subject: Re: protein meals

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Alison A. Evans)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 16:19:55 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>        I'm hoping someone can recommend several FAST, and INEXPENSIVE 
>ways for cooking tofu and for preparing different dishes of beans.  

	I would recommend the cookbook "Moosewood at Home".  It contains easy 
vegetarian recipes that can be cooked in 30 minutes or less if you're willing 
to use canned beans.  It has some really great bean dishes -- try the Caribbean 
Black Beans or the Tunisian Vegetable Stew.  

>        If there is another way in which I can get enough protein to help 
>sustain a very serious workout schedual please inform me.
>
	I am also interested in the issue of protein and workouts since I 
recently started lifting weights.  I suspect that it is harder to increase 
muscle mass on a vegetarian diet, but I don't know for sure.  Anyone out there 
know of any research on this?

---

From: [email-masked] (Deep breaths, calm thoughts)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 17:15:43 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Carlo Facchino) writes:
>	Being a vegetarian I'm concerned with getting a lack of protein.

Hi!  Worry no more.  If you eat enough calories, you probably eat enough
protein.  1 portion of starch or bread, which provides 15 grams of
carbohydrates has approximately 3 grams of protein.  That's 1 slice of bread.
One third to one half cup of cooked grains or pasta or potato.

That alone cold fulfill your need for pritein for the day, which according to
the RDA (notoriously high) is 46 - 50g for woman and 45 - 63 for men, all
depending on age.

Then you have your veggies. Those have protein, too: 2 grams of protein per 
portion.  Half a cup of most cooked veggies.  1 cup of most raw veggies.  Some
of the veggies are on the starch list (corn, peas, potatoes).

Milk and "MILKS" give about 8 grams of protein per portion.  1 cup milk, soy
milk, buttermilk. 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 3/4 cup nonfat yoghurt.

LAST, are the "protein" foods.  7 grams of protein per portion.  About a half
cup of beans (also high in fiber and carbohydrates).  1/2 cup of tofu.  1 ounce
of wheat gluten (seitan), or fake meats based on gluten (pepperoni, hot dogs,
turkey, etc).  1 ounce of soy or cow cheese, if you eat dairy (almost all soy
cheese contains milk protein in it).

Example of a meal:

A sandwich.  Made on a bagel.  Let's see, 2 starches for the bread (bagels
count as two), lightly spread with tomato sauce and spices, open faced with an
ounce of fake pepperoni on each side, topped with half an ounce of shredded
cheese (since you didn't say you were vegan).  Pizza bagels.

A whole bunch of ripe tomato and lettuce and ummm... roasted peppers and 
onions and that kind of thing..  Say, a whole cups worth, sliced on a plate.

Not an excessive meal., right?

3 grams protein per starch times two 	= 6 grams
7 grams protein per protein times two	= 14 grams
8 grams protein for cheese		= 8
2 grams protein for veggies		= 2
					----------
					  30 grams of protein for lunch.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT PROTEIN!!!

Sarah

---

From: [email-masked] (Greg Shenaut)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 16:15:46 GMT

Carlo Facchino ([email-masked]) wrote:
: 	Being a vegetarian I'm concerned with getting a lack of protein.
: 	If there is another way in which I can get enough protein to help 
: sustain a very serious workout schedual please inform me.

My understanding is that unless you live on things like fruit and
koolaid, it is very difficult to NOT get enough protein from a lowfat
vegetarian diet. What I would do is figure out how much protein (in
grams) you figure you need per day, then figure out how many calories
you need per day, then do a little arithmetic. For example, take
cabbage: it has 24 calories and 1.3g protein per 100g. If you for some
perverse reason decided to get a typical 2000 calory per day diet out of
cabbage alone, then you would get 108g protein, which is more than
enough even for a strenuous workout. (Of course, no one could eat that
much cabbage in a day (8 kilos), but hopefully you get my point.)  Once
you add a bunch of high-fat or high-sugar foods, it gets more
complicated, of course.

--
Greg Shenaut -- [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Carlo Facchino)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 22:19:32 GMT

Being a vegetarian I'm concerned with getting a lack of protein.  I 
know tofu and beans with rice are two good ways of getting protein.  However, 
I only seem to know one or two ways of cooking tofu, both seem to do with 
sautee tofu.  As for the beans and rice, I usually make lentil soup with 
the beans and then just have a bowl of rice.  
	I'm hoping someone can recommend several FAST, and INEXPENSIVE 
ways for cooking tofu and for preparing different dishes of beans.  
	If there is another way in which I can get enough protein to help 
sustain a very serious workout schedual please inform me.

Thanks in Advance
Carlo Facchino