Subject: Veggie Lunch Options

From: [email-masked] (Elise Aymer)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 13:31:11 GMT

More vegan sandwich options:
marinated beans - make a vinagrette or my favorite garlic and lemon juice
rice with a light peanut sauce
tabbouleh
leftover eggplant

---

From: [email-masked] (Deep breaths, calm thoughts)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 21:15:12 GMT

I seem to have not seen the original post, or forgot, so if I'm not quite
answering the question. I'm sorry...

One thing I like about vegan food is that it's a lot les likely to spoil or
give you food poisoning.  In my microbiology class, I asked him to try and find
some microorganisms that were relevant to my lifestyle.  There weren't many.

I like to eat leftovers for lunch, if you have a microwave, but if you don't,
it's amazing what you can make into a salad or eat cold on a sandwich. 
Anything like stir fried veggies can be eaten cold or at room temperature,
unless there is a thick cornstarch sauce, in which case it will be too goopy.
Dahls and curried things are GREAT with fat free corn chip to dip into the
container, as are bean dips or veggie dips and crackers.

Call me a heathen, but I've just about given up on recipes as anything more
than places to get interesting idea (and I collect them obcessively).

When I make a bean dip, I take beans (what kind are in the house?  chick peas? 
kidney? pinto? lentil?) and mash them with my potato masher.  I'm appliance
deprived, so sue me.  If you have a food processor, I assume you need a bit
extra liquid from the beans to blend them.  Then I taste them and think, what
would go nicely with this?  Fat free garlic dressing?  Nayonnaise?  Tahini?
Tomato sauce?  Herbs?  Spices?  Hot sauce?  Chopped veggies? Then I add things,
one at a time, and taste as I go.

If you're not on a low fat diet, non-peanut butters can be alot of fun to play
with.  Cashew butter is SO different from almond which is entirely different
>from  hazelnut, and then there's pistachio and macadamia and tahini...

How about subs with fake meat on them?  Or baked sliced tofu?  Then you pile on
the good stuff, real lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers (roasted peppers on a
sandwich are incredible!), pickle slices (if you like them... normally I don't,
but I found a brand of low sodium SPICY pickles that are sooooo good!), olives
(again, unless you're on a lf diet).  I just bought "Herbed smoked tofu" this
week -- it was closer to smoked cheese than anything I've had since going
vegan, closer in texture to ANY cheese, really... it will make a WONDERFUL
sandwich.  It's not that I don't like salad sandwiches, but I need mroe on them
or I get a stomachache, I don't know why.  A certain proportion of startch and
protein per watery veggies, for some reason.

Hamburgers, or sausages, (yes, FAKE!) with a HUGE amount of fried onions and
peppers chopped up and on a hero, with tomato sauce.

Those instant soup in a cup by fantastic foods are great, and if you have a
refrigerator at work to keep a jar of salsa in, a bob of salsa on top really
makes them seem more like "real" soup.

Cous cous is easy if you can get boiling water at work.  Mix in part of a
container of instant soup to make "couscous and beans" or "couscous and chili".

My next project for lunches is to make banana bread with vegan yoghurt for the
dairy, egg replacer for the eggs and extra banana for the fat, to make it a low
fat treat. Slice that up, and eat with tomato soup in a thermos.

Which reminds me.  Anything in a thermos is good for lunch.  Soups, stews,
curried thingies.  Pasta, hot veggies.  Lasagne (YUM!!!!! I love vegan
lasagne!) or spaghetti with tomato sauce or fake meat sauce or multiple veggie
sauce or even olive oil, escarole and tons of fresh garlic.   Rice -- plain,
fried, spiced, wild, pilaffed, the choices never end...

I'm getting hungry and have leftover couscous and curried garbanzos from lunch!
Seeya later!

Sarah