Subject: Re: Flax reciepe request

From: [email-masked] (Casey Scalzi)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 18:10:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (James Ganong) writes:
|> 
|> I am looking for reciepes that use flax.
|> 
|> I got some advice from a headler that i should be
|> using flax oil, but I am hesitating because I think
|> it might be better to eat the whole flax grain.
|> I saw an interesting story on the 48 Hours TV show
|> about flax, and a man who bakes it into lots of
|> different kinds of bread.
|> 
|> Any recipes using flax seed, flax flour, or flax oil
|> would be ducky.  Thanks!
|> 

Flax oil is very good.  There are some things to think about when using
flax or flax oil. 

Flax is a very unstable oil and is very susceptible to going rancid. Store 
flax oil or ground flax seeds in a refridgerator for no more than 3 months.

Flax oil should not be exposed to heat. I don't remember why.  Don't cook or 
heat flax oil.

It has not yet been determined if there are any detrimental effects of
exposing flax seed to heat. So the breads mentioned on 48 hours might not 
have any health properties at all given the instability of the flax oil.

Flax oil is an omega-3 fatty acid, like that found in salmon and other fish.
It is considered a curative in hardening of the arteries and elevated 
cholesteral levels.  It might also have some effect on PMS though I'm not sure 
about this.

To use flax:

Many people whith egg allergies use ground flax as an egg substitute.  mix with 
water and bring to a boil.  You should get a thick gelatinous mass that binds 
flours together like egg does.

The breads on 48 hours just had straight ground flax seeds mixed in as you would
sunflower seeds or almonds.

How I use flax:  

1 Grind flax seeds and stir in 1 teasp with my hot cereal in the morning.
  nutt flavor is really good.

2 Pour flax oil over rice cereal.

3 mix flax oil with lemon juice for salad dressing

4 pour flax oil over corn or quinoa noodles and steamed vegetables.

Have fun