Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition,sci.skeptic

Subject: Book: Popular Nutritional Practices, by Jack Yetiv
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Sep 92 01:51:28 GMT
Sender: [email-masked] (Mr News)
Organization: DSG, Stanford University, CA 94305, USA
Lines: 37

Here's a book for those who enjoy critical analysis of fringe and
pseudo-science.   This one is on the subject of nutrition.

The particulars:

Title: Popular Nutritional Practices: Sense and Nonsense
Author: Jack Z Yetiv, M.D., Ph.D.
Publisher: Dell Publishing  (Gee, I'm surprised Prometheus didn't grab
        this one).
Year: 1986, 1988 (6 years old?  How did I miss it for so long?)
ISBN: 0-440-20046-6

Covers homeopathy, herb treatment, food additives, fad diets,
cholesterol cures, megavitamins, vegetarianism, and much more.
There's a whole chapter on that dynamic duo: Pearson and Shaw, a fun
--MORE--(54%)

Article 269 (184 more) in sci.med.nutrition:
From: [email-masked] (Michelle Renee Dick)
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition,sci.skeptic

Subject: Book: Popular Nutritional Practices, by Jack Yetiv
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Sep 92 01:51:28 GMT
Sender: [email-masked] (Mr News)
Organization: DSG, Stanford University, CA 94305, USA
Lines: 37

Here's a book for those who enjoy critical analysis of fringe and
pseudo-science.   This one is on the subject of nutrition.

The particulars:

Title: Popular Nutritional Practices: Sense and Nonsense
Author: Jack Z Yetiv, M.D., Ph.D.
Publisher: Dell Publishing  (Gee, I'm surprised Prometheus didn't grab
        this one).
Year: 1986, 1988 (6 years old?  How did I miss it for so long?)
ISBN: 0-440-20046-6

Covers homeopathy, herb treatment, food additives, fad diets,
--MORE--(47%)

cholesterol cures, megavitamins, vegetarianism, and much more.
There's a whole chapter on that dynamic duo: Pearson and Shaw, a fun
few pages on (Un)Fit for Life, and a short discussion on the
appropriateness of super-low fat diets ala Pritiken (5-10% fat diets).

I loved the section on Fit for Life.  Lots of hilarious quotes from
Diamond's book and a little info on Mr. Diamond's "doctorate in
nutritional science from the American College of Health Science in
Austin, Texas."  A quote from the book:

"... [T]his institution is not even allowed to grant degrees in Texas
-- the degrees have to come out of Mexico...  Furthermore, Texas has
required this correspondence "school" to remove the word "college"
from its title....  [All] that is necessary to get a 'doctorate in
nutritional science' is the payment of $1250 and the taking of a
series of tests consisting of open-book questions.... [T]he only
people that have flunked this program  'are people that really couldn't
read and write that well'"

What a riot!

--
Michelle Dick
--MORE--(98%)

[email-masked]
End of article 269 (of 416)--what next? [npq]