Subject: Re: Tofu making byproducts

From: Alex McGregor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 13:30:02 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:

> Several questions come to mind:
>
> Could I flake and then cold press some soy oil form these beans before
> making tofu? And possibly save the grinding step as a side benefit?
>
> Can the cooked soybean cake left over after removing the soy milk be used
> as a reduced protein animal feed?
>
> Is there any food value or other use for the soy milk whey left after
> filtering out the soy protein solids?

Mike,

Congratulations on making your own tofu! Quite an accomplishment.

First some facts about the curds, leftover cake (okara) and whey. Okara retains
17% of the total protein in the soybeans, so is still a good source of protein.
The soymilk contains the other 83%. When curdled and pressed, about 74% stays
in the curds and 9% drains out in the whey.

The okara could indeed be used in animal feed. You could also combine it in
dishes. Or favorite is okara pancakes (makes really light, fluffy pancakes):

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1Tblsp baking powder
1tsp salt
1 1/3 cups soy milk
1/4 cup oil
2 Tblsp sorghum or honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
3/4 cup okara (lightly packed)
Mix dry ingredients thoroughly. Mix wet ingredients separately. Combine. You
know how to do the rest, probably.

"The Book of Tofu" by Shurtleff & Aoyagi has more recipes and a whole lot of
tofu lore and history.

As for the whey, you can drink it as a hot tea (best when fresh), use it for
washing oily things in the kitchen, for shampoo or use it in soups as stock or
in baking- you can also substitute it for the soymilk in the pancakes. Or you
can feed it to horses and cows. They're supposed to really like it.

Bon Appetite!

Alex

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail