------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------ "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies" ---------------------------------------------------------- The BurmaNet News: March 21, 1997 Issue #673 HEADLINES: ========== SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST: POLICE OPEN FIRE AP: MONK KILLED IN BURMA UNREST THE NATION: KAREN KEPT IN BURMA BY THAI FORCES AP: BURMA ARMY ATTACKS KAREN AREA AP: 1,000 BURMESE HEAD FOR THAILAND KNU: HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS UPDATE S.H.A.N: TURBULENT SITUATION IN CENTRAL SHAN STATE FTUB: FORCED LABOUR AT INDO-BURMA BORDER BUSINESS TIMES: EU SET TO SUSPEND TARIFF PREFERENCES AP: BURMA BANS GERMAN POLITICIAN FROM MEETING ASSK PRNEWSWIRE: SEC ACCEPTS RETIRED OIL WORKER'S IPS: MORE JOURNALISTS THROWN INTO PRISON IN 1996 BANGKOK RADIO THAILAND NETWORK: ARMY CHIEF SENT XINHUA: LABOR DELEGATION ARRIVES IN BURMA RANGOON RADIO MYANMAR: THAI COMPANY TO DEVELOP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- --- SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST: POLICE OPEN FIRE AS BUDDHISTS RUN RIOT March 20, 1997 AGENCIES in Rangoon Riot police in Mandalay fired their weapons as Buddhist mobs, including monks, ransacked mosques in response to the alleged rape of a Buddhist girl by a Muslim, residents said yesterday. Police fired over the heads of rioters to disperse the attacks on mosques and property owned by Muslims, residents in the country's second city said. At least two monks were taken to hospital with bullet wounds from ricochets, they added. The residents said a night curfew was in force in seven townships in the city, some streets were sealed off and the main market was closed. Mandalay was one of five cities put on security alert after the religious unrest, a source said. Combined security forces, including police and the Army, were also deployed in Rangoon, Sittwe in Arakan state, Bassein in Irriwaddy division and Moulmein in Tennasserim division, where there were large Muslim communities, the source said. Burmese authorities had extended the "first-degree security alert" to prevent tension spreading to other cities, the source said. In Rangoon, armed soldiers were patrolling in Muslim districts. A diplomat in the capital said there were unconfirmed reports of unrest in Pyimmana, Meiktila and Taunggyi towns. A senior Burmese military intelligence source confirmed a night curfew had been imposed in several townships in Mandalay to prevent further disturbances. He said monks had "destroyed some personal belongings" in houses and mosques in the Muslim quarter of the city. The troubles were "widely believed" to have been instigated by unnamed agitators seeking to stir up students, monks and workers in a bid to undermine Burma's entry into the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, the source said. Burma is an observer in Asean and hopes to be granted full membership in July. The source noted Asean members Indonesia and Malaysia were both Islamic nations. But the All Burma Young Monks Union, based on the Thai border, accused Burma's ruling junta, the State Law and Order Restoration Council, of disinformation in attributing the monks' unrest in Mandalay to the rape of a Buddhist girl. In a statement received in Bangkok, the group said they were protesting at the deaths of 16 monks who had been incarcerated by the military and forced to work as porters. The military intelligence source denied the report. Monks, who are revered in Burma, were prominent in pro-democracy demonstrations against military rule in 1988. ******************************************** AP: MONK KILLED IN BURMA UNREST March 20, 1997 (excerpts) By Patrick MacDowell, Associated Press Writer BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- A Buddhist monk has died from gunshot wounds suffered during anti-Muslim rioting in Mandalay, Burma, The Associated Press has learned. Diplomats in the Burmese capital of Rangoon, speaking Thursday on condition of anonymity, said the monk died after rioting that targeted Muslim-owned property in response to the alleged rape of a Buddhist girl by a Muslim. A curfew was in effect in Mandalay, and police and soldiers were patrolling the streets, the diplomats said in telephone interviews from Bangkok,Thailand. Mandalay residents confirmed their accounts of activity in the city, but not the death of the monk. The circumstances of the monk's death were unclear, the diplomats said. The residents, all of whom spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of retaliation, said two monks were wounded by ricocheting bullets. Residents said soldiers and police were posted Thursday around some monasteries and the city's biggest market was closed. ********************************** THE NATION: KAREN KEPT IN BURMA BY THAI FORCES March 20, 1997 KANCHANABURI ­ About 700 Karen civilians, many of them people who were pushed back to Burma late last month, are being blocked by the Army from crossing the frontier into the western province of Ratchaburi, according to relief workers. They said the Karen started to move toward the Thai border at 6 am yesterday after Burmese Army troops pressed forward, seemingly bent on taking control of the whole area occupied by the refugees, who are concentrated around three small Burmese streams: Huay Tha Ma Piew, Huay Khi Ma and Huay Tha Ma Muang. The Burmese advance is part of the ruling junta's all-out military offensive, which began last month, to crush Karen rebels who have repeatedly refused to surrender. The workers said that although the Border Patrol Police gave permission for the refugees to cross into Thailand, troops from the Army's 9th Division had adamantly refused to let them enter, arguing that there was no imminent threat from the Burmese Army. The workers rejected the Army's assessment. The civilian population was on the move because Burmese troops were just six or seven kilometres away and moving closer. The 9th Division had earlier promised to let the refugees cross back to Thailand if the Burmese attack threatened their safety. A worker who is familiar with the Burmese terrain said that the Karen civilians are living well within range of Burmese mortar bombs. Over 3,500 Karen civilians are living along the border across from Suan Phung in Ratchaburi and are expected to attempt to flee to Thailand, the workers said. They added that relief groups have launched an international appeal for assistance. Meanwhile, government authorities have begun cracking down on the offices of exiled Burmese dissidents and activists in Bangkok, Mae Hong Son and Tak provinces. The office of the All Burma Students Democratic Front (ABSDF) in Mae Sariang district of Mae Hong Son was warned early this week of a possible raid to evict them, while authorities and a "suspicious person" took pictures of the front's office and members in Bangkok, spokesmen said. Members of the National Coalition of the Union of Burma in Umphang district of northern Tak were also told to leave their office ''temporarily" from March 15, but Burmese dissidents believe the order indicates permanent closure. In January, the ABSDF supply office in Bangkok was raided twice in 10 days by the authorities and some members arrested, including the author of the book Cry from Insein. During the second raid, the police took away a Macintosh computer and extorted about Bt10,000, spokesmen said. On the day of the second raid, authorities also moved into the ABSDF foreign affairs office. They cut off the telephone and left after extorting about Bt20,000. An office of the exiled Burmese government National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma in Bangkok was also recently raided. Burmese activists in Bangkok said a number of prominent Burmese dissidents have also received death threats from the Burmese intelligence service. (TN) ******************************************************* AP: BURMA ARMY ATTACKS KAREN AREA March 20, 1997 (abridged) By Jiraporn Wongpaithoon, AP writer BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- The Burmese army pounded an ethnic Karen area inside Burma with mortar fire today, continuing an attack against a Karen rebel group that has sent about 3,500 refugees fleeing toward Thailand. Karens along the border said that the refugees, scattered in pockets along several miles of frontier across from Thailand's Ratchaburi province, were being denied entry by Thai troops unless the fighting gets closer. A spokesman for Thailand's 9th Army Division, which controls the border area, confirmed Wednesday that Karen refugees were ``being asked'' to stay on the Burmese side unless their safety is in imminent danger. The officer spoke on condition of anonymity. The Burmese bombardment, which began Tuesday, was about 6 miles from the border, Karen sources said on condition of anonymity. Thailand came under criticism from the United States, the European Union and human-rights groups last month for denying entry to fighting-age Karen males fleeing the fighting and for forcibly sending hundreds of women, children and others back into Burma. Government officials note Thailand has sheltered some 100,000 people fleeing Burma's conflicts over the past decade, including perhaps 20,000 from the most recent offensive. Burma's military regime has deployed an estimated 100,000 troops to destroy the rebel Karen National Union. In six weeks, the approximately 1,500 rebel fighters have lost several bases and abandoned much of the rugged border area they had controlled for decades. ********************************** AP: 1,000 BURMESE HEAD FOR THAILAND March 19, 1997 (excerpts) By JIRAPORN WONGPAITHOON BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- The Burmese army has attacked a key rebel village, sending another 1,000 refugees fleeing into Thailand. Hundreds more were believed to be on their way, relief agencies said today. The Burmese army launched an artillery attack Tuesday against Hta Ma Pyo. A lumber yard and sawmill make the town economically crucial to the rebels. The shelling, which continued early today, sent at least half the 2,000 people living at Hta Ma Pyo fleeing across the border to Ban Tako Bon village in Thailand's Ratchaburi province, military sources and relief agencies on the border said. The rest were expected to arrive today. ************************************** KNU: HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS UPDATE March 19,1997 SLORC's dry season offensive started earlier this month at the northern region (KNU No.1, 2, 3 and 5 Brigade areas). The SLORC is using full strength of Light Infantry Division 77 and battalions under Southern Command Headquarters and Eastern Command Headquarters which totalled about 23 battalions, not including the battalions stationed in the areas. Skirmishes occur every day throughout the areas. Human Rights violations also increase as the offensive continues. On March 10, deputy commander of SLORC Light Infantry Battalion (LIB) 534 Aung Than arrested 3 villagers in Thaton district area, accused them of having contact with the Karen resistance group and killed them. On the same day he arrested a woman villager, age 30 , and beat her until an arm was broken. (all names withheld for security) On March 11, SLORC Light Infantry Division 77 demanded porters from villages in Nyaung Lin Bin district area. They demanded 70 porters from each village and the villages which couldn't meet their demand, they forcibly took women and children as porters. On March 14, they killed 5 villagers; one man and four women. On the same day they captured 12 villagers who were panning gold in the river. A husband and wife in the group managed to escape but the rest were all killed by the Division 77 troops including their son. On March 15, SLORC troops of Division 77 entered Paw Say Pu village, Papun district and set the village on fire. The whole village was completely burned. On March 12, KNU No. 7 Brigade troops attacked SLORC Infantry Battalion 28, Company 1 camp, stationed at Teh Bu village, Paan district. Company commander Myint Kyi Oo and his company fled from the fighting spot after resisting for 2 hours and 45 minutes. The Karen guerrillas also left the place taking with them all the captured arms , ammunitions and military materials. After 3 days, the Infantry Battalion 28 commander Nyunt Hsaung returned with his troops to the village where the fighting took place. They forcibly took rice and household materials from the villagers and went away with 9 carts loaded with the looted properties. KNU Information Center **************************** S.H.A.N: TURBULENT SITUATION IN CENTRAL SHAN STATE March 19, 1997 Since mid-January 1997, during which Slorc is launching a massive offensive against the Karen National Union (KNU) in Karen State using 7-8 Army Divisions comprising more than 100,000 troops, Shan United Revolutionary Army (SURA) is launching guerrilla offensive at several places against Slorc troops in central and southern Shan State. On 18.1.97, a group of Shan rebels shot dead 14 and wounded 17 villagers at the village of Nam Maw Khao Saen 5 miles east of Namzarng where 3-40 houses of Burmese ex-soldiers and their families live. On 24.1.97, in the morning and evening, SURA troops attacked a Slorc outpost at Nam Parng bridge, and blasted bombs and guns in Kunhing town, killing 2 Burmese military veterans. On 25.1.97, entered Laikha town and gunned down a Burmese soldier and seized his pistol. The soldier was said to be the Corporal who often beat up and bullied the villagers. He was shot dead in the morning while he was wrapped up in a blanket and warming himself in the sun. (Some suspected that he was killed by townspeople who bore a grudge against him and spread the news, blaming SURA for it) On 26.1.97, raided Murng Nawng town, killing 1 Burmese soldier. On 26.1.97, raided Murngkerng town, killing 1 Burmese ex-soldier. These incident had caused Slorc troops to become so alarmed that they started to issue curfew orders (from 6:00 pm. to 6:00 am.) in at least 5-6 townships -- Kunhing, Namzarng, Laikha, Murngkerng, Kaesi and Murng Nawng township. Since Slorc had moved many of its troops to the front lines with KNU, not so many were left in some places such as small towns and villages in Shan State. This situation provides an opportunity for SURA to make a move, say many observers. On 5.2.97, SURA troops, about 3-4 sections strong, again raided Murngkerng, roamed the town to their satisfaction and left. This prompted Slorc authorities to immediately impose a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Murngkerng. On the night of 6.2.97, 3 members of SSNDA (Shan State National Democratic Army -- a Slorc supported anti-insurgency group led by Kan Na and Sai Lar who had broken away from SSNA - Shan State National Army --and surrendered to Slorc in September 1996), under the command of Pho Mar, were killed by Slorc troops while walking with their guns on a street in Murngkerng. They were shot and beaten to death, and their weapons were taken away. Though SSNDA leaders had complained about this to Slorc authorities, no steps had so far been taken to deal with the grievance. On 7.2.97, some members of the SSNA (unofficial cease-fire group led by Karn Yord) also had to bear the brunt of the side-effect of the curfew when 2-3 of them, carrying handguns, were shot at on leaving a bus at Laikha by Slorc troops. They were said to have been followed by the Burmese soldiers since they boarded the bus at Parng Long where they had gone to collect tax money. One was wounded and was sent to the hospital. Slorc troops knew that they were SSNA members only when they questioned him at the hospital. Because of the frequent raids in 3-4 towns, Slorc top brass in Rangoon had summoned the Division Commander in Loilem to Rangoon for explanation. SURA's counter-offensive against Slorc has somewhat caused a division between the people and Slorc troops and there are signs of discrimination between some Shan and Burmese in some towns in central and southern Shan State. In Namzarng, Slorc authorities even issued an order banning racial discrimination. At night, Burmese civil servants like teachers, health workers, office staffs etc. have to sleep at the same place where police and Burmese soldiers keep watch. More and more Shan travellers with unfamiliar faces or coming from other parts are often being harassed and beat up by Slorc troops on the road from Murng Nawng, Kaesi to Murngkerng. No Burmese (Bama) dare to travel along the motor roads of Murngkerng-Kaesi, Murngkerng-Murng Nawng because there had been an incident in which a Burmese who was travelling by bus was beaten to death with bricks and sticks by the rebels. Gem traders also do not dare to use the roads that run through Parng Phon and Murng Nawng, but go by way of Khum Parng and Murng Awt to Murngsu gem mines, because cars running that way always meet 3-4 groups of rebels. Traders who used to travel by cars along Taunggyi, Loilem, Namzarng, Kunhing, Takaw, Kaengtung and Tachilek are now mostly travelling by air. However, many people and observers say that there are some good results from SURA guerilla-war against the Burmese soldiers. Human Rights violations committed by the Burmese soldiers on the people have somewhat reduced and it is disrupting their 4-cuts policy and forced relocation program. On 18.3.97, at about 10:00 hrs., a group of Shan rebels attacked a vehicle carrying Burmese spies near the border with Thailand, on the road between Nong Ook and Pung Pa Khem. One of the Burmese was killed and one was missing. On 19.3.97, the Burmese reinforced about 2-300 more troops to the area in an attempt to hunt down the rebels. S.H.A.N. (19.03.97) *************************************************** FTUB: FORCED LABOUR AT INDO-BURMA BORDER March 18, 1997 "FTUB (WB)"