Subject: Mr. President, how difficult was the Zoe Baird decision?

From: The White House <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jan 93 19:31:38 EST

THE WHITE HOUSE

                     Office of the Press Secretary

                            January 22, 1993

                       REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT
                        DURING PHOTO OPPORTUNITY
                           The Cabinet Room

 11:15 A.M. EST

  Q    Mr. President, how difficult was the Zoe Baird decision?  How
 agonizing was it for you?

  THE PRESIDENT:  I was -- I'm sad about it.  But it wasn't
 agonizing.  I'm just very -- I'm sad about it, and I take full
 responsibility, as I said in my statement, for the way the evaluation
 was done.  I still have a very high regard for her.  She is an
 extraordinary person.  And I feel very badly about it, but I'm
 responsible for it, and I'm going to start this afternoon looking for
 an attorney general.  And I have the process set up, and we're going
 to begin as soon as the lunch hour is over, working on the future.
 And that's what I intend to focus on.

 Q    Will it be a woman?

 THE PRESIDENT:  I have nothing else to say.  I'm going to start this
 afternoon.  Thanks.

                                  END                   11:16 A.M. EST