Subject: archive.sh: failure. check log.

From: White House Archives <whitehouse>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 09:09:26 EDT

>From @lex-luthor.ai.mit.edu:[email-masked]  Wed Jun  2 09:09:17 1993
Received: from life.ai.mit.edu by SunSITE.unc.edu (4.1/tas-gen/1-30-93)
	id AA22974; Wed, 2 Jun 93 09:09:17 EDT
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 09:09:17 EDT
From: <@lex-luthor.ai.mit.edu:[email-masked]>
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Apparently-To: <[email-masked]>

                          THE WHITE HOUSE
  
                    Office of the Press Secretary
  
  _______________________________________________________________
  
  For Immediate Release	   	     	       	     May 28, 1993

                           EXECUTIVE ORDER
  
                            - - - - - - -
  
                      CONDITIONS FOR RENEWAL OF
                 MOST FAVORED NATION STATUS FOR THE
                 PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA IN 1994

       WHEREAS, the Congress and the American people 
  have expressed deep concern about the appropriateness of 
  unconditional most-favored-nation (MFN) trading status for 
  the People's Republic of China (China);
  
       WHEREAS, I share the concerns of the Congress 
  and the American people regarding this important issue, 
  particularly with respect to China's record on human rights, 
  nuclear nonproliferation, and trade;
  
       WHEREAS, I have carefully weighed the advisability of 
  conditioning China's MFN status as a means of achieving progress 
  in these areas;
  
       WHEREAS, I have concluded that the public interest would be 
  served by a continuation of the waiver of the application of 
  sections 402 (a) and (b) of the Trade Act of 1974 (19 U.S.C. 
  2432(a) and 2432(b)) (Act) on China's MFN status for an 
  additional 12 months with renewal thereafter subject to the 
  conditions below;
  
       NOW, THEREFORE, by the authority vested in me as President 
  by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of 
  America, it is hereby ordered as follows:
  
       Section 1.  The Secretary of State (Secretary) shall make 
  a recommendation to the President to extend or not to extend MFN 
  status to China for the 12-month period beginning July 3, 1994.
  
       (a)  In making this recommendation the Secretary shall not 
  recommend extension unless he determines that:
  
  	    extension will substantially promote the freedom of 
            emigration objectives of section 402 of the Act; and
  
  	    China is complying with the 1992 bilateral agreement 
            between the United States and China concerning prison 
            labor.
  
       (b)  In making this recommendation the Secretary shall also 
  determine whether China has made overall, significant progress 
  with respect to the following:
  
  	    taking steps to begin adhering to the Universal 
            Declaration of Human Rights;
  
                                more
  
       	    	      	   	     	       	    	 (OVER)

                                  2
  
  	    releasing and providing an acceptable accounting for 
            Chinese citizens imprisoned or detained for the non-
            violent expression of their political and religious 
            beliefs, including such expression of beliefs in 
            connection with the Democracy Wall and Tiananmen 
            Square movements;
  
  	    ensuring humane treatment of prisoners, such as 
            by allowing access to prisons by international 
            humanitarian and human rights organizations;
  
  	    protecting Tibet's distinctive religious and cultural 
            heritage; and
  
  	    permitting international radio and television 
            broadcasts into China.
  
       Sec. 2.  The Secretary shall submit his recommendation to 
  the President before June 3, 1994.
  
       Sec. 3.  The Secretary, and other appropriate officials of 
  the United States, shall pursue resolutely all legislative and 
  executive actions to ensure that China abides by its commitments 
  to follow fair, nondiscriminatory trade practices in dealing 
  with U.S. businesses, and adheres to the Nuclear Non-
  Proliferation Treaty, the Missile Technology Control Regime 
  guidelines and parameters, and other nonproliferation 
  commitments.
  
       Sec. 4.  This order does not create any right or benefit, 
  substantive or procedural, enforceable by any person or entity 
  against the United States, its officers, or employees.

       	    	      	   	     WILLIAM J. CLINTON

  THE WHITE HOUSE,
      May 28, 1993.

                                # # #