Subject: POSTFACTUM NEWS 06.10.93
From: Relis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 93 17:55:16 +0200
Newsgroups: relcom.politics

POSTFACTUM DAILY NEWS 06/09/93  17.30 					  
     (C) POSTFACTUM. All rights reserved. 
     
     PRESIDENT  BORIS  YELTSIN  ISSUED  DECREE  ON  MEASURES  FOR
LIQUIDATION OF SEQUELAE OF ATTEMPTED ARMED COUP
     
     RUSSIAN  PRESIDENT SIGNED DECREE ON SELECTED NON-ELIGIBILITY
OF  FORMER  PEOPLE'S  DEPUTIES  FOR  STATE  GUARANTEES  OF SOCIAL
SECURITY
     
     MOSCOW'S  CHIEF  MEDICAL  DIRECTORATE REPORTS A TOTAL OF 553
PERSONS SEEKING MEDICAL CARE ON OCTOBER 3-5
     
     ALEXANDER  SHOKHIN  HELD  EXPERT MEETING ON ESTABLISHING NEW
RUBLE ZONE ON OCTOBER 6
     
     EX-USSR'S DEBT IS ESTIMATED  TO BE US$74 TO 80 BILLION
     
     DEPUTY  PRIME  MINISTER  ALEXANDER  SHOKHIN  IS DUE TO VISIT
FRANKFURT-ON-MAIN ON OCTOBER 8
     
     UNPROVEN  REPORTS  SAY  CONDITION  OF  THE FORMER SPEAKER OF
PARLIAMENT IS "RATHER POOR"
     
     VALERY  ZORKIN  DECIDED TO STEP DOWN AS CONSTITUTIONAL COURT
CHAIRMAN
     
     FOUR JOURNALISTS DIED DURING ASSAULT OF THE WHITE HOUSE
     
     THERE  WAS  NO  CENSORSHIP  WHATEVER,  CLAIMS  A  TOP  PRESS
MINISTRY'S OFFICIAL
     
     CLASHES  BETWEEN  GOVERNMENT  TROOPS  AND ADHERENTS OF ZVIAD
GAMSAKHURDIA CONTINUE IN WESTERN GEORGIA
     
     REFUGEES FROM ABKHAZIA ARE IN LETHAL DANGER
     
     ELECTRIC  POWER WAS CUT OFF IN TBILISI ON OCTOBER 6 AT 12.15
MOSCOW TIME
     
     GEORGIA'S TRADE MISSION OPENS IN UKRAINE

     
     
     PRESIDENT  BORIS  YELTSIN  ISSUED  DECREE  ON  MEASURES  FOR
LIQUIDATION OF SEQUELAE OF ATTEMPTED ARMED COUP
     
     RUSSIAN  PRESIDENT SIGNED DECREE ON SELECTED NON-ELIGIBILITY
OF  FORMER  PEOPLE'S  DEPUTIES  FOR  STATE  GUARANTEES  OF SOCIAL
SECURITY
     The  new  decree  states that the president's decree 1435 of
September  23,  1993, on Social Guarantees for 1990-1995 People's
Deputies of the Russian Federation applies to the former deputies
only if three requirements are met:
     -  if  they  agreed  to  be acceptors of state guarantees of
social  security  in  relation to termination of functions of the
Congress  of  People's  Deputies  and  the Supreme Council before
October 3, 1993;
     -  if  they withdrew from sessions of the former Congress of
People's  Deputies  and  the  Supreme  Council  before October 3,
1993;
     -  if  they  did  not  participate in mass riot in Moscow or
instigation of it on October 3 and 4, 1993.

     MOSCOW'S  CHIEF  MEDICAL  DIRECTORATE REPORTS A TOTAL OF 553
PERSONS SEEKING MEDICAL CARE ON OCTOBER 3-5
     PF  was told in the Chief Medical Directorate of Moscow that
a  total  of  553  persons sought medical care; of these 437 were
hospitalized  and  50  treated as outpatients. A total of 66 dead
were  collected  in  streets;  additionally,  23 individuals were
killed  near  the  mayor's  building,  6  in  the Druzhnikovskaya
street. Twelve individuals died after operations.
     
     ALEXANDER  SHOKHIN  HELD  EXPERT MEETING ON ESTABLISHING NEW
RUBLE ZONE ON OCTOBER 6
     The  meeting  discussed  prerequisites  for  the  ruble zone
treaty  to  act.  In  particular,  it was discussed who of treaty
members requires ruble cash, how much and on what terms.
     
     PF:  The  treaty  on  new ruble zone was endorsed by six CIS
states  on September 7. Russia endorsed five bilateral agreements
within the framework of this document during one month.
     
     EX-USSR'S DEBT IS ESTIMATED  TO BE US$74 TO 80 BILLION
     A  meeting  of  debt  and assets committee chaired by deputy
prime  minister  Alexander  Shokhin  was  held  on  October 6 and
discussed servicing of ex-USSR's debt.
     PF  was told in Mr. Shokhin's secretariat that the committee
discussed  debt  owed  by  other states to the former USSR. Exact
figures are elusive since on the one hand national currencies are
multiple  and  on  the other hand some USSR's debtors demand debt
reevaluation  according  to new exchange rates while others agree
to pay off at old rates but later.
     
     DEPUTY  PRIME  MINISTER  ALEXANDER  SHOKHIN  IS DUE TO VISIT
FRANKFURT-ON-MAIN ON OCTOBER 8
     Mr.  Shokhin  plans  to meet with members of the London Club
comprising  600  commercial  credit  banks  of  the  former USSR.
Ex-USSR's  debt  to  the  commercial  banks  is  about 16 billion
dollars.
     The   London   Club  representatives  reportedly  agreed  to
reschedule  debt,  but  the  Russian  Federation  is  required to
continue  debt  servicing,  that  is, to pay interests. Observers
reckon  that  last  details  concerning the agreement with London
Club  on  debt  rescheduling and servicing will be settled during
the talks.
     
     UNPROVEN  REPORTS  SAY  CONDITION  OF  THE FORMER SPEAKER OF
PARLIAMENT IS "RATHER POOR"
     PF  was told in the association of foreign correspondents in
Moscow  that  sources  at  the Bar quoted the condition of Ruslan
Khasbulatov  as "rather poor" and said he might not survive until
trial.
     
     VALERY  ZORKIN  DECIDED TO STEP DOWN AS CONSTITUTIONAL COURT
CHAIRMAN
     PF  was  told  in  Constitutional  Court's  press service on
October  6 that Valery Zorkin decided to retire as Constitutional
Court chairman "considering doing this duty impossible in current
conditions."
     Judges  Ametistov and Gadzhiev said in their interviews that
no  elections of a new Constitutional Court chairman will be held
today.
     The  Constitutional  Court's  press  service  said  that now
condition  of Valery Zorkin "is very severe and physicians insist
on hospitalization."
     
     FOUR JOURNALISTS DIED DURING ASSAULT OF THE WHITE HOUSE
     PF  was  told in the Moscow bureau of the American committee
for  protection of journalists that by October 6 four journalists
were  known  to  die and nine to be wounded during assault of the
White House.
     
     THERE  WAS  NO  CENSORSHIP  WHATEVER,  CLAIMS  A  TOP  PRESS
MINISTRY'S OFFICIAL
     Sergei  Luknitsky,  chief  of  directorate of press and mass
information  protection  of  the  Russia's  press and information
ministry,  told  PF:  "There  was no censorship whatever. In fact
there   was   preliminary   overviewing  of  some  materials  and
publications  during 2-3 days. This was to enforce paragraph 8 of
the  president's  decree  on  the  state  of  emergency, that is,
materials that could elicit unhealthy reactions were removed. Now
printed  output,  and  TV  and  radio  materials  on  air  are  a
responsibility of editors-in-chief."
     
     CLASHES  BETWEEN  GOVERNMENT  TROOPS  AND ADHERENTS OF ZVIAD
GAMSAKHURDIA CONTINUE IN WESTERN GEORGIA
     Late on October 5, fighting occurred in the Ozurgeti region,
western Georgia, between government forces and armed adherents of
Zviad Gamsakhurdia. The government troops resisted the attack. PF
was  told in the press center of Georgian armed forces positioned
in   western   Georgia   that  their  opponents  sustained  heavy
casualties.  The  government  troops had one fighter dead and ten
wounded.  Combat was also waged during the night near the town of
Samtredia, a large railway junction.
     
     REFUGEES FROM ABKHAZIA ARE IN LETHAL DANGER
     Refugees  from  the  Kodor canyon, Abkhazia, are on the move
towards  Svanetia.  The  Georgian  television reported that about
80,000  refugees  pooled  underneath a pass. Analysts reckon that
30%  of  these  will be unable to go over the pass since they are
children  weak  from  hunger and cold. Things are so bad that the
dead  cannot  be  buried  on  the  way  to Svanetia. According to
observers  the  situation  is so disastrous that most of refugees
may die unless international aid is delivered.
     
     ELECTRIC  POWER WAS CUT OFF IN TBILISI ON OCTOBER 6 AT 12.15
MOSCOW TIME
     It  is  told  that  Tbilisi  was cut off of power by another
sabotage by Zviad Gamsakhurdia's adherents.
     
     GEORGIA'S TRADE MISSION OPENS IN UKRAINE
     Georgian  cabinet's  press  service  said that the Georgia's
trade  mission  was set up in the capital of Ukraine, Kiev, under
the  cabinet's  resolution  of  October  4 to broaden trading and
economic  ties  between  Georgia  and Ukraine and agreements made
earlier.     POSTFACTUM DAILY NEWS 06/09/93  17.50 					  
     (C) POSTFACTUM. All rights reserved. 
     
     RUSSIA'S  SECURITY  COUNCIL  CONSIDERED  MAJOR PROVISIONS OF
MILITARY DOCTRINE
     
     PRIVATIZATION VOUCHERS ARE PROLONGED UNTIL JULY 1, 1994

     
     
     RUSSIA'S  SECURITY  COUNCIL  CONSIDERED  MAJOR PROVISIONS OF
MILITARY DOCTRINE
     Russian  president's  press service disclosed that a meeting
of Russia's security council, chaired by President Boris Yeltsin,
was  held  on  October  6  in  the  Kremlin.  It considered draft
provisions  of  the  Russia's  military  doctrine  as part of the
general security concept.
     The  draft  is  a  summary  of military doctrine principles:
prevention  of war, peaceful settlement of international debates,
respect  for  sovereignty  and  territorial  integrity of states,
noninterference  with  their internal affairs and inviolate state
borders.
     The  military  doctrine  will  detail  military  aspects  of
Russian   state's  policies  in  national  security  and  envison
parameters  of  the armed forces, prospects of their development,
and means for maintaining the defense at an adequate level.
     The  president commissioned completion of the draft military
doctrine  provisions.  The  document will be approved at the next
security council's meeting to be held on October 15.
     
     PRIVATIZATION VOUCHERS ARE PROLONGED UNTIL JULY 1, 1994
     The  president's  press  service informed that Boris Yeltsin
signed  a  decree which prolongs privatization vouchers issued in
1992  until  July  1,  1994. This move is to protect interests of
Russian citizens and let them use the vouchers.