Subject: (Copy) NSF Program Guideline
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 11:06 EST

Please post to the NIH LIstserver as:
   ARCTIC.920330
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Title       : Arctic System Science Program
Type        : Program Guideline
NSF Contact : DPP
Date        : January 2, 1992

 
 
ARCTIC SYSTEM SCIENCE PROGRAM
 
Program Announcement
 
National Science Foundation
 
Deadlines: as announced

     The Arctic System Science (ARCSS) Program is a newly
established National Science Foundation Global Change Research
Program (refer to NSF 91-33).  The ARCSS program goals are:
 
o    to understand the physical, chemical, biological, and social
     processes of the arctic system that interact with the total
     earth system and thus contribute to or are influenced by
     global change, in order
 
o    to advance the scientific basis for predicting environmental
     change on a decade to centuries time scale and for
     formulating policy options in response to the anticipated
     impacts on humans and societal support systems.
 
     Arctic Ocean-Atmosphere-Ice Interactions and Arctic Land-
Atmosphere-Ice Interactions are two components of the NSF ARCSS
Initiative.  These two components are seen as long-term efforts,
taking place concurrently with expanded operational capabilities
for research, and with improving monitoring capabilities provided
by satellite sensors and earth-based autonomous measurement
technology.  The early phases of ARCSS will emphasize modeling,
analyses and synthesis of existing data, and time-series
measurements.
 
     A third component of ARCSS is Arctic Paleoenvironmental
Studies, including the ongoing second Greenland Ice Sheet Program
(GISP 2) and Paleoclimates of Arctic Lakes and Estuaries (PALE)
Program.
 
     The Foundation provides awards for research in the sciences
and engineering.  The awardee is wholly responsible for the
conduct of such research and preparation of the results for
publication.  The Foundation, therefore, does not assume
responsibility for such findings or their interpretation.
 
     The National Science Foundation may make an award for
research involving human subjects only when the research has been
approved by the submitting institution's Institutional Review
Board (IRB), or is exempt from review under regulations of the
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS Form 596).  NSF must
be informed in writing of a claim of exemption or submit a
written certification by an IRB before any award can be made.
For surveys involving more than 10 respondents, permission by the
Office of Management and Budget may be required.  The informed
consent of subjects and approval by community authorities must
also be verified before funding can be provided (refer to
Principles for the Conduct of Research in the Arctic, available
through the Arctic Social Science or the Arctic Systems Sciences
Programs).
        ------------------------------------------------

Who May Submit
 
     The National Science Foundation supports researchers
affiliated with U.S. universities, research institutions or other
organizations, including local or State governments.  All
applications must be submitted by the sponsoring institution.  In
accordance with Federal statutes and regulations and NSF
policies, no person on grounds of race, color, age, gender,
national origin or disability shall be excluded from
participation in, or denied benefits of, or be subject to
discrimination under any program or activity receiving financial
assistance from the National Science Foundation.  The Foundation
strongly encourages women, minorities and persons with
disabilities to submit proposals to the Arctic System Science
Program.  Research that addresses Native concerns and involves
Native participation and training is particularly encouraged.
 
Facilitation Awards for Handicapped Scientists and Engineers
(FAH) provides funding for special assistance or equipment to
enable persons with disabilities (investigators and other staff,
including student research assistants) to work on an NSF project.
See the FAH program announcement, or contact the FAH program
announcement, or contact the FAH Coordinator in the Directorate
for Scientific, Technological, and International Affairs, (202)
357-7456.
 
The National Science Foundation has TDD capability (Telephonic
Device for the Deaf), which enables individuals with hearing
impairment to communicate with the Division of Personnel and
Management about NSF programs, employment, or general
information.  This number is (202) 357-7492.
 
     This program is described in the catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance, Number 47.051 (Geosciences, and Number 47.051)
(Biological Behavioral and Social Sciences).
       -----------------------------------------------

Deadlines and Proposal Submission
 
     Solicitations for ARCSS competitions are responsive to
conclusions reached during NSF-sponsored workshops entitled:
Arctic System Science: Ocean-Atmosphere-Ice Interactions, and
Arctic System Science: Land/Atmosphere/Ice Interactions - A Plan
for Action, held in 1990 and to subsequent science community
planning efforts.  Proposers should refer to ARCSS workshop and
planning documents, as well as solicitations on the SCIENCEnet
bulletin boards OCEAN, POLAR, ARCSS.LAII, and ARCTIC.LOGISTICS.
 
     ARCSS proposals will be reviewed and funded by the Divisions
of Polar Programs, Ocean Sciences, and Atmospheric Sciences, and
will be coordinated by the NSF ARCSS Program Office within the
Division of Polar Programs.
 
     Proposals should be submitted directly to the NSF Proposal
Processing Unit - Room 223, (Attn: Arctic System Science Program)
National Science Foundation, 1800 G St., NW. Washington, D.C.
20550.  Fifteen copies of proposals are required.  Proposals
should be prepared in accordance with instructions in the
brochure, Grants for Research and Education in Science and
Engineering (NSF 83-57).  This brochure includes application
forms.  It can be obtained from your institution's research
office or from the NSF Forms and Publications Office, (202) 357-
7861.
     ---------------------------------------------------
 
Review
 
     In order to help insure fair and objective evaluation of
proposals, applicants may suggest names of reviewers whom they
consider to be especially qualified to evaluate their proposals,
including individuals with relevant local or regional knowledge
and experience.  Applicants may also suggest names of potential
reviewers whom they believe would not provide objective
evaluation.
     -------------------------------------------------------
 
Additional Information
 
     For more information about the Arctic System Science
Program, available documents related to the ARCSS Program, or
logistical support, contract the Program Director: Dr. Ted E.
DeLaca, Director, Arctic System Science, Division of Polar
Programs, 1800 G St NW, Washington, D.C. 20550 (phone: 202/357-
7766, FAX: 202/357-9422, OMNET: T.DELACA).
 
Ordering by Electronic Mail
     If you are a user of electronic mail and have access to
either BITNET or INTERNET, you may prefer to order publications
electronically.  BITNET users should address requests to
pubs@nsf.  Internet users should send requests to [email-masked].
In your request, include the NSF publication number and title,
number of copies, your name, and a complete mailing address.
Publications will be mailed within 2 days of receipt of request.
 
Electronic Dissemination
     You can get information fast through STIS (Science and
Technology Information System), NSF's on-line publishing system,
described in NSF 91-10, the "STIS flyer."
 
     To get a paper copy of the flyer, call the NSF Publications
Section at 202/357-7861.  For an electronic copy, send an E-mail
message to [email-masked] (Internet) or STISFLY@NSF (Bitnet).

     Catalog of Fed'l Domestic Assistence #47.050, Geosciences.
 
OMB 3145-0058
PT 34
KW 1008020
 
NSF 92-5
(New)
 
..stis file is nsf925
..expires with new edition
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisserv@NSF
(BITNET).  The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in
the *text* of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from a LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to the same LISTSERV. If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).