Subject: (Copy) NSF Program Guideline
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 08:34 EST

Hi Paul,
   Please post to the NIH Listserver as:
    Chemical.920320
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : Environmentally Benign Chemical Synthesis and Processing
              Research on Pollution Prevention at its Source
              A University-Industry Cooperative Program
Type        : Program Guideline
NSF Contact : CHEM
Date        : March 1, 1992

                    Environmentally Benign Chemical Synthesis and Processing
                         Research on Pollution Prevention at its Source
 
                            A University-Industry Cooperative Program

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
Sponsored by
the National Science Foundation
Division of Chemical and Thermal Systems
Division of Chemistry
 
With participation by
the chemical and allied industries
represented by the
Council for Chemical Research
 
                    Environmentally Benign Chemical Synthesis and Processing

 
                        Joint Program Announcement of the
       National Science Foundation and the Council for Chemical Research, Inc.

 
This Announcement describes a joint initiative of the National Science
Foundation (NSF) and the Council for Chemical Research, Inc. (CCR) to support
fundamental research directed toward  Environmentally Benign Chemical
Synthesis and Processing.  The Program will support pre-competitive research
projects in chemical engineering and chemistry aimed at reducing pollution at
its source.  Active participation by scientists and engineers in the
chemical, pharmaceutical, agrichemical, electronics, and energy industries
dependent on chemistry-based manufacturing is required.

Introduction and Rationale
 
The Toxic Release Inventory, first required by the Environmental Protection
Agency in 1987, has made the public acutely aware of the billions of pounds
of chemicals released into the environment each year as a byproduct of
manufacturing processes carried out by the Nation's chemical and chemistry-
dependent industries.   Although the U.S. position in the world economy is
enhanced enormously by the positive trade balance enjoyed by the chemical and
allied industries, chemicals that go up the stacks and down the drains are
both a serious detriment to the environment and a waste of valuable natural
resources.  Current recognition that economic competitiveness and
environmental protection are mutually improved by waste reduction has
precipitated major efforts to improve the chemical syntheses and processing
methods employed by U.S. industries.  While zero discharge and zero waste are
unattainable in practice, byproduct production and pollution at the
manufacturing source can nonetheless be minimized; much basic research is yet
needed to accomplish this.  This joint initiative, sponsored by the National
Science Foundation, and enlisting the participation of industries represented
by the Council for Chemical Research, joins university and industrial
researchers in designing environmentally benign synthesis and processing
methodologies which will undergird the clean, efficient, and profitable
industries of tomorrow in the production of chemicals, pharmaceuticals,
plastics and fibers, electronics, agriculture, and energy.
 
The National Science Foundation, through its Divisions of Chemistry and
Chemical and Thermal Systems, anticipates providing approximately $2,000,000
per year in awards under this initiative, with a prospect of possible future
growth.  Grants will be to university-based engineers and scientists, working
individually or in small groups, on projects which will advance the concepts
and technologies of environmentally benign synthesis and processing.  As
detailed below, projects to be considered under this rubric must have
intellectual participation by an industrial research partner.  Financial
contribution to the research by the industrial partner is not required, but
it is viewed as highly desirable and it is likely to be a natural outcome in
the most effective academic-industrial partnerships.  The Council for
Chemical Research has agreed to act as a broker in this research program, to
assist university researchers in developing the necessary liaisons with
appropriate industrial counterparts.  Because industry representatives to the
CCR are typically at the Research Director level, university-based engineers
and scientists will enjoy access to industrial research partners and problems
at the highest levels.

Research Scope
 
The focus of this initiative is fundamental research in engineering and
chemistry that will lead to the discovery and development of advanced,
environmentally benign methods for chemical synthesis and processing in
industry.  Much beneficial waste reduction and reduced emissions can result
directly from good economics and good housekeeping -- as in controlling
fugitive emissions by proper attention to tanks, valves, vents, and the like.
Little or no fundamental research is necessary to speed these improvements.
Similarly, research areas such as remediation, tracking, and monitoring the
fate of chemicals in the biosphere -- though important -- are already
supported through other U.S. government programs.
 
This joint initiative of the NSF and CCR is intended to finance long-range
research supporting new synthetic methodologies, novel process designs and
process improvements that reduce the potential for environmental release in
the first place.  Projects are sought which can lead to feedstock
substitutions, alternative synthetic and separation procedures, more specific
and efficient catalysts, product reformulations, and process modifications
which would minimize byproduct formation and reduce waste production at the
source.  Industrial participation in the design and evaluation of such
research will ensure the viability of proposed projects in real-world
manufacturing situations.  Increased energy efficiency correlates well with
reduced environmental emissions, so research in support of enhanced energy
efficiency is also appropriate.
 
The most significant problems and creative solutions will be identified by
academic and industrial investigators, working together on challenges posed
by real problems in chemical manufacturing.  Projects must show
appropriateness to current national concerns for pollution reduction or
prevention; vague arguments that the proposed research may eventually reduce
pollution are not compelling.  Nevertheless, proposed research must be
fundamental in nature.
 
Some appropriate problems and areas of research are illustrated by the
following examples, though eligible projects are by no means restricted to
these cases.

  New chemistries and methodologies for on-demand, on-site production and
  consumption of toxic intermediates for use in manufacturing.

  New, more highly selective catalysts to increase product yield and reduce
  byproduct formation in chemical manufacturing.

  Low-energy separation technologies for feedstock purification and recycling.

  Improved membranes and membrane/molecular sieve technologies that integrate
  transport and reaction to enhance specificity.

  Alternative chemical syntheses that bypass toxic feedstocks and solvents
  such as chloro- and nitrocarbons.

  New processing methods that eliminate production of hard-to-entrap micron-
  sized aerosols.

  Alternative chemical syntheses that eliminate or combine process steps,
  resulting in a net reduction of pollutants.

  Design of novel low-temperature or other energy-efficient methods for
  chemical synthesis and processing.

This initiative particularly seeks innovative and high risk/high payoff
ideas.  It does not invite studies of "the problem", but rather specific
approaches to possible solutions.  Although the focus is on experimental
problems, appropriate theoretical and modelling studies relevant to
improvements in the environmental compatibility and efficiency of chemical
manufacturing and processing are also eligible.

Since the preparation of competitive research proposals is very time
consuming, it is also well to present a few examples of what this initiative
is not:

  Not pollution control;

  Not research on processes to remove pollutants from waste streams;

  Not membrane separations unless the membrane is in the process to improve
  selectivity or process efficiency;

  Not catalysis for reaction rate enhancement alone.
 
In short, this initiative addresses concerns in pollution prevention and
reduction, not concerns in waste treatment.

Collaborations
 
Truly innovative ideas seem to arise more frequently at interfaces where
investigators of different backgrounds and perspectives interact.  To
stimulate the breakthroughs that cross-fertilization can produce,
collaborations between chemical engineers and chemists or between
engineers/chemists and industrial colleagues, microbiologists, environmental
scientists, and other researchers with complementary expertise are strongly
encouraged.
 
To ensure that the proposed project is relevant and appropriate to
significant manufacturing and environmental problems, proposals must document
the extent of intellectual participation of an industrial partner.  Financial
participation and other services in kind by the industrial partner are
strongly encouraged, but are not required.  Many university-based researchers
will already have established industrial contacts and previous interactions
which lead naturally to proposals under this initiative.  Academic chemists
and engineers needing  assistance in forming university-industry connections
for this Program are invited to seek assistance through the CCR (see below).

Proposal Format and Eligibility Stipulations
 
Proposals should be prepared according to instructions in Grants for Research
and Education in Science and Engineering ("GRESE," NSF Publication 90-77,
rev. August, 1990).  Applicants are strongly advised to be sure they are
using the most current version of GRESE, which is revised periodically.
 
The cover page of the proposal should indicate in the upper left hand corner
the appropriate NSF Division for review of the proposal:  Chemistry (CHE), or
Chemical and Thermal Systems (CTS), or both jointly (CHE/CTS).  The upper
right hand corner of the cover page should indicate that the proposal is
being submitted for consideration under the Environmentally Benign Chemical
Synthesis and Processing Initiative (NSF 92-13).  The proposal must be signed
by the principal investigator(s) and the authorized institutional
official(s).  Letters of commitment from cooperating industrial and academic
organizations, whether or not they would receive funds from an NSF award,
must be included in an appendix.
 
Both individuals and research groups at academic research institutions in the
United States are invited to submit proposals.  In either case, a proposal
should present an integrated research plan with clearly defined objectives.
The expected roles, biographical background and proposed contributions of all
participants, academic and industrial, must be described.  Proposals
requesting general support for a program or laboratory are not appropriate to
this Program.  Though proposals are required to document industrial
participation, the academic submitter must assume primary responsibility for
management of the research and administration of any award funds.  Funds from
NSF provided under this Program are not intended to support the routine
research activities of an industrial research laboratory.  Note also the
comments under Publication and Patent Policy below.
 
Every proposal must also contain, within the usual NSF 15-page limit, a one- to
two-page "environmental impact statement" which describes how the proposed
research is expected to contribute to the programmatic goal of reducing
pollution at the source.
 
It is expected that awards made in this Program will be for periods of two to
three years.  Separate budgets for each year of the proposed activity must be
provided.  Industrial contributions, whether by direct funding or by services
in kind, should be specified.

Evaluation of Proposals
 
As outlined in GRESE, all NSF proposals are reviewed for merit according to
four selection criteria:  (1) research  performance competence; (2) intrinsic
merit of the research; (3) utility or relevance of the research; and (4)
effect of the research on the infrastructure of science and engineering.
Reviewers will be asked to pay particular attention to the third evaluation
criterion, as this Program stresses the application of fundamental research
to real-world problems that demand solution.  Hence, the "environmental
impact statement" must make a clear connection between the proposed research
and the applicability to synthesis or process modifications that reduce
emissions to the environment.  Contributions of the research to the education
of future chemists and chemical engineers with improved expertise in the
environmental issues of chemical process and product design are also
important.
 
Mail review, review panels, or a combination of the two may be used to assist
in the evaluation of proposals.  Merit review will include evaluation by both
academic and industrial experts.  By submitting a proposal to this
initiative, the proposer grants NSF permission to share the proposal with
such referees.  Persons contemplating proposals who wish to maintain
confidentiality of proprietary information should discuss these concerns in
advance with the appropriate NSF program officer (see below).

Deadline Dates
 
In the Division of Chemical and Thermal Systems, the deadline for receipt of
proposals under this Initiative is April 30 annually.  CTS also requires a
tentative cover page and one-page summary by April 10, to expedite proposal
handling.
 
In the Division of Chemistry there will be no deadlines; proposals for
Environmentally Benign Chemical Synthesis and Processing will be accepted in
all Chemistry subdisciplinary programs at any time.  However, researchers
should be aware that full merit review of proposals typically requires about
six months, so that proposals received after March 1 usually cannot be funded
within the current fiscal year.
 
All proposals (10 copies) should be addressed to:

  National Science Foundation
  Data Support Services Section, Room 223
  Attn:  Environmentally Benign Chemical
           Synthesis and Processing (NSF 92-13)
  1800 G Street, N.W.
  Washington, D.C. 20550
 
Remember that the cover page should specify the appropriate receiving
division, CTS or CHE.

Inquiries and Additional Information
 
Inquiries concerning this Announcement may be directed to:
 
in the Division of Chemical and Thermal Systems:
 
  Dr. Henry A. McGee, Jr.
  Division Director
  (202) 357-9606 voice telephone
  (202) 357-5184 FAX, preferred
 
in the Division of Chemistry:
 
  Dr. Margaret A. Cavanaugh
  Program Director, Inorganic Chemistry
  (202) 357-7499 voice telephone
  (202) 357-1067 FAX

at the Council for Chemical Research:
 
  Dr. Frederick C. Leavitt
  Executive Director
  1620 L Street, N.W., Suite 825
  Washington, D.C.  20036
  (202) 429-3971

Copies of all relevant NSF publications, including GRESE (NSF 90-77), Grant
Opportunities for Chemists (NSF 90-142), and this Announcement (NSF 92-13)
are available at no cost from:
 
  National Science Foundation
  Forms and Publications, Room 232
  1800 G Street, N.W.
  Washington, D.C.  20550
 
If you are a user of electronic mail and have access to either BITNET or
Internet, you may order publications electronically.  BITNET users should
address requests to pubs@nsf; Internet users should send requests to
[email-masked].  In your request, include the NSF publication number and title,
number of copies, your name, and a complete mailing address.  Publications
will be mailed within two days of receipt of request.
 
Copies of the text of most program announcements and other key NSF
publications are also available electronically.  You can get information fast
through STIS (Science and Technology Information System), NSF's online
publishing system, described in NSF 91-10 (rev. 10/4/91), the "STIS flyer."
To get a paper copy of the flyer, call the NSF Publications Section at 202-
357-7861.  For an electronic copy, send an E-mail message to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stisfly@nsf (BITNET).

 
Grant General Conditions
 
NSF Grants are administered in accord with either the NSF Grant General
Conditions (GC-1) or the Federal Demonstration Project General Terms and
Conditions (FDP-II), depending on the awardee institution.  Copies of these
documents may be requested at no cost from the Forms and Publications Unit
(address above).  More comprehensive information is contained in the NSF
Grant Policy Manual (NSF 88-47), available through a subscription from the
Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
20402.

The National Science Foundation provides awards for research in the sciences
and engineering.  The awardee is wholly responsible for the conduct of such
research and preparation of the results for publication.  The Foundation,
therefore, does not assume responsibility for such findings or their
interpretation.
 
The Foundation welcomes proposals on behalf of all qualified scientists and
engineers, and strongly encourages women, minorities, and persons with
disabilities to compete fully in any of the research and research-related
programs described in this document.
 
In accordance with Federal statutes and regulations and NSF policies, no
person on grounds of race, color, age, sex, national origin, or disability
shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be
subject to discrimination under, any program or activity receiving financial
assistance from the National Science Foundation.
 
Facilitation Awards for Scientists and Engineers with Disabilities provide
funding for special assistance or equipment to enable persons with
disabilities (investigators and other staff, including student research
assistants) to work on an NSF project.  See the Program Announcement, or
contact the program coordinator in the Directorate for Education and Human
Resources (202-357-7456).  The Foundation has a TDD (Telephonic Device for
the Deaf) capability at (202) 357-7492.
 
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance Numbers 47.041; 47.049.

Publication and Patent Policy
 
Research projects under this Initiative are pre-competitive and, consistent
with preserving patent opportunities, timely publication of results is
expected.  Patent rights to inventions under NSF-sponsored projects are
governed by NSF policy, as expressed in Section 650 of Title 45 of the Code
of Federal Regulations and in accordance with Public Law 96-517 (the Bayh-
Dole Act).  Small-business firms and nonprofit organizations, including
universities, usually receive patent rights to any inventions they make
during Federally supported research.
 
Universities and industrial organizations that propose to collaborate on a
project under this Announcement should reach their agreement as to the
disposition of patent rights from the project before submitting the proposal
to NSF.

 
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:  Cover illustration copyright Exxon Chemical Company, a
division of Exxon Corporation 1991, reprinted by permission.  From a paper on
"Economics of Environmental Control" by Richard P. Herbst.
 
..stis file is nsf9213
..expires with new edition
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisserv@NSF
(BITNET).  The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in
the *text* of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).