Subject: NSF Press Release
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 91 08:41 EST

Hi Paul,
    Another for posting to the NIH Listserver.  Please post as:
        CURRPROG.911108
                       DSB
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NSF AWARDS FIRST GRANTS IN NEW COURSE AND
              CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
NSF Contact : OLPA
Type        : Press Release
Date        : October 9, 1991

 
Cheryl Dybas                                           IMMEDIATE
(202) 357-9498                            October 9, 1991
                                              NSF 91-91
 
            NSF AWARDS FIRST GRANTS IN NEW COURSE AND
                 CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
 
     In an effort to improve the quality of undergraduate courses
and curricula in science, mathematics, and engineering, NSF has
made the first set of awards in its new Undergraduate Course and
Curriculum Development (UCC) program.
     The current focus of the program is crucial science,
engineering and mathematics introductory  undergraduate courses.
The program seeks to influence the academic culture, encouraging
a greater number of talented faculty to devote creative energy to
improving undergraduate classroom and laboratory instruction.
     Significant steps were taken in the direction of improving
introductory courses in this first year of the UCC program.
Eighty-eight projects in 31 states, the District of Columbia, and
American Samoa were selected for funding from 718 proposals
submitted.  Funding decisions were based on panel reviews, and
were made in close cooperation with program directors from the
NSF research directorates.  Many of the funded projects are
expected to produce course and curricular materials that will be
of national interest.
     Several awards represent efforts of large segments of
individual disciplinary communities.  For example, a $1,050,000
-                             more-
-                                         2-
 
award to the American Institute of Physics supports an ongoing
effort to introduce more contemporary physics into the
introductory calculus-based physics course.  A similar large
project in chemistry, "Development of a Materials-Oriented
General Chemistry Course," involves ten campuses across the
country and was stimulated by an NSF "Undergraduate Curriculum
Development Workshop."  In the biology area, a grant to the
Biological Sciences Curriculum Study Group in Colorado supports
life science curriculum development for high schools, community
colleges, and colleges/universities.  Awards in mathematics to
the University of Florida and to California State University-
Hayward have the potential to lead a national effort to
dramatically improve the teaching of statistics.
 
     Another group of UCC awards involves the use of computers to
improve science, mathematics, and engineering course offerings.
The University of North Carolina-Asheville is developing an
introductory meteorology course in which undergraduate students
with use microcomputers to archive current weather data,
satellite and radar imagery, and weather plots.  Through this
integration of meteorology, mathematics, and computer science,
students can fully visualize development and movement of weather
systems.
 
     A substantial number of 1991 UCC awards address the
improvement of courses for non-science majors.  A project at
Columbia College, Princeton University, and Indiana University
will develop a freshman chemistry course for non-majors that
centers on environmental issues and emphasizes hands-on,
exploratory activities.
 
-                              end-
 
     The National Science Foundation is an independent agency of
the Federal Government established in 1950 to promote and advance
scientific progress in the United States.  NSF accomplishes its
mission primarily by competitively awarding grants to educational
institutions for research and education in the sciences,
mathematics, and engineering.
 
..stis file is pr9191
..expires  April 1992
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisserv@NSF
(BITNET).  The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in
the *text* of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).