Subject: NSF Press Release
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 91 09:20 EST

Hi Paul,
    Please post to the NIH LIstserver as:
      JAPANDATA.911108
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Title       : NEW "HOT TOPICS" SERVICE ON JAPAN DATABASE
NSF Contact : OLPA
Type        : Press Release
Date        : October 24, 1991

 

Cheryl Dybas                                           IMMEDIATE
(202) 357-9498                                  October 24, 1991
                                                    NSF PR 91-94

           NEW "HOT TOPICS" SERVICE ON JAPAN DATABASE
 
     The National Science Foundation (NSF) Scientific and
Engineering Database Access Project, NACSIS, is now offering a
"Hot Topics" update service.  This service focuses on areas of
significant Japanese research that are of special interest to the
American research community.  Each "Hot Topics" package contains
the most recent 100 abstract records retrieved from the NACSIS
Conference Proceedings databases.  Updates will be provided
periodically as new records are added to the databases.
     The following subject areas are currently offered:
AI/Expert Systems                                 Neural Networks
Applied Biotechnology                     NLP/Machine Translation
Biomedical Electronics                            Optoelectronics
CAD/CAM-CIM                                    Parallel Computing
Ceramics                                                 Polymers
Database Technology                                      Robotics
Electronic Displays                           Sensors and Sensing
Integrated Circuits                            Telecommunications
 
     "No other country besides the United States devotes as much
energy to R&D nor uses it as effectively as Japan", says
Alexander De Angelis, manager of NSF's Japan Program.  "It is
vital, therefore, that we keep abreast of the directions of R&D
in Japan.  NACSIS is the gateway to an important component of
Japan's R&D."
-                             more-
 
-                               2-
 
     Those interested in having a search of the NACSIS databases
done or in obtaining "Hot Topics" packages -- both free of charge
-- may contact the NACSIS Operator at (202) 357-7278 between the
hours of 1 and 4 EST on weekdays, or may send messages by
electronic mail to:
 
                  [email-masked] (Internet) or
                  nacsis@nsf     (BitNet)
 
     Full details on the NACSIS databases, as well as NSF's
support for research in Japan, may be found in NSF's Japan
Program Announcement, NSF 90-144.  Order copies by mail from
NSF's Publication Unit, Room 232, NSF, Washington, D.C. 20550; by
calling (202) 357-3619; or by sending an email request to
[email-masked] (Internet) or pubs@nsf (BitNet).
 
-                              end-
 
The National Science Foundation is an independent agency of the
Federal Government established in 1950 to promote and advance
scientific progress in the United States.  NSF accomplishes its
mission primarily by competitively awarding grants to educational
institutions for research and education in the sciences,
mathematics, and engineering.

 
..stis file is pr9194
..expires  April 1992
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **
 
This document is mailed as a feature of NSF's STIS system (Science and
Technology Information System).  If you would like to know more about
STIS, send a message to [email-masked] (Internet) or stisserv@NSF
(BITNET).  The subject will be ignored.  Put the following request in
the *text* of the message:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   nsf9110
 
For information about joining this list, send the following request:
 
   Request: stis
   Topic:   stisdirm
 
If you want to get off this list, or change your address, first
determine if you received this message from LISTSERV, by checking the
mail header.  If you got this message from LISTSERV, you must get off
by sending a message to LISTSERV.  The document "stisdirm" shown above
has information on how to do this.  If you receive this document
directly from NSF, change requests should be sent to [email-masked]
(Internet) or stis@NSF (BITNET).