Subject: (Copy) NIH Guide Vol. 19, No. 2, January 12, 1990, Part 1 (final,RF
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 90 07:41 EST

Good Morning Paul,
   This is the latest NIH Guide.  Please post to the list server as
NIHGUIDE.011290.  This is the first of two parts.
   Thanks.  Have a nice day.
                            Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
     
Subject: NIH Guide Vol. 19, No. 2, January 12, 1990, Part 1 (final,RFAs next)
X-comment: NIH Guide (including TOC) contained 8 pages (640 lines)

     

     
     
Vol. 19, No. 2, January 12, 1990

                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

AIDS COMMUNITY-BASED OUTREACH/INTERVENTION RESEARCH PROGRAM
(RFA DA-90-02) ......................................(84/205)................ 1
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Index:  DRUG ABUSE

VIRAL ONCOGENESIS AND PATHOGENESIS OF HEPATOCELLULAR CARCINOMA
(RFA 90-CA-08) ......................................(208/343, 644/975)...... 2
National Cancer Institute
Index:  CANCER

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

MOLECULAR APPROACHES TO DRUG ABUSE RESEARCH .........(349/514)............... 4
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Index:  DRUG ABUSE

                                    ERRATA

NCI/MARC SUMMER TRAINING SUPPLEMENT (PA) ............(520/537)............... 6
National Cancer Institute
Index:  CANCER

INVESTIGATIONS INTO METHODS THAT REPLACE OR REDUCE VERTEBRATE ANIMALS
USED IN RESEARCH, OR LESSEN THEIR PAIN AND DISTRESS (PA) ..(540/568)......... 6
National Institutes of Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
        ALCOHOL, DRUG ABUSE, AND MENTAL HEALTH ADMINISTRATION

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
     
                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

AIDS COMMUNITY-BASED OUTREACH/INTERVENTION RESEARCH PROGRAM
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  DA-90-02
     
P.T. 34, FF; K.W. 0715008, 0403004, 0404021, 0411005
     
National Institute on Drug Abuse
     
APPLICATION RECEIPT DATE(S)
     
Receipt     Initial      Advisory Council        Earliest
 Date       Review           Date               Start Date
     
March 12*  June/July       Sept/Oct             November
     
* After this special receipt date, applications may be submitted to this
announcement using the regular AIDS receipt dates.
     
PURPOSE
     
The purpose of this research grant program is to announce a cooperative
agreement program to evaluate the efficacy of community-based intervention
strategies designed to prevent and reduce the spread of AIDS among intravenous
(IV) drug users, their sexual partners, and those at demonstrable risk for
intravenous drug use.
     
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
     
Emphasis is placed on gaining an understanding of the efficacy of different
innovative strategies for containing the spread of AIDS within and from
high-risk populations, e.g., IV drug users who are not in treatment, their
sexual partners, and those at demonstratable risk for intravenous drug use.
There is also a large concern with monitoring and understanding the nature of
risk-taking behavior within communities and groups over time.  Consequently,
the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) will continue to facilitate
grantee collaboration and will make a closed-ended interview schedule, the
AIDS Initial Assessment, to be administered to all subjects admitted into the
applicant's study.  This instrument is to be administered as a baseline
measure prior to HIV testing and/or the initiation of traditional or
innovative interventions.  The applicant will also state hypotheses s/he will
be testing in the course of the study.  It is expected that outcome variables
will consist of at least the following:  (a) reduction in risk-taking
behaviors associated with needle use and with sexual behaviors; (b) increases
in knowledge about AIDS transmission and risk factors.  Beyond the outcome
study and the description/monitoring of risk-taking behaviors and knowledge
regarding AIDS transmission, the applicant should plan for the conduct of
sub-studies relevant to an understanding of the issues involved in planning
and developing AIDS prevention programs for the different populations they are
studying.
     
INCLUSION OF MINORITIES IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
The Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA) urges
applicants to give added attention (where feasible and appropriate) to the
inclusion of minorities in study populations for research into the etiology of
diseases, research in behavioral and social sciences, clinical studies of
treatment and treatment outcomes, research on the dynamics of health care and
its impact on disease, and appropriate interventions for disease prevention
and health promotion.  If minorities are not included in a given study, a
clear rationale for their exclusion should be provided.
     
INCLUSION OF WOMEN IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
ADAMHA urges applicants to consider the inclusion of women in the study
populations for all clinical research efforts.  Exceptions would be studies of
diseases which exclusively affect males or where involvement of pregnant women
may expose the fetus to undue risks.  Gender differences should be noted and
evaluated.  If women are not to be included, a clear rationale should be
provided for their exclusion.
     
In order to provide more precise information to the treatment community, it is
recommended that publications resulting from ADAMHA-supported research in
which the study population was limited to one sex for any reason other than
that the disease or condition studied exclusively affects that sex, should

                  Vol. 19, No. 2, January 12, 1990 - Page 1
state, in the abstract summary, the gender of the population studied, e.g.,
"male patients," "male volunteers," "female patients," "female volunteers."
     
AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
     
It is estimated that in FY 1990, up to 20 projects may be funded under this
announcement.  Applications received in response to this announcement will
compete for approximately $7 million in FY 1990 grant money expected to be
available for this purpose.
     
REVIEW PROCEDURES
     
Applications received under this announcement will be assigned to an initial
reveiw group for scientific and technical merit review.  Such groups consist
primarily of non-Federal experts.  Notification of review outcome will be sent
to the applicant as soon as it is available.  Applications will receive a
secondary review by the National Advisory Council of the National Institute on
Drug Abuse whose review may be based on policy considerations as well as
scientific merit.  Only applicants recommended for approval by the National
Advisory Council will be considered for funding.
     
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
     
Applicants must use the standard PHS-398 (Rev.  10/88) research grant
application form.  "AIDS Community-based Research Program" should be typed on
Item #2 on the face page of the PHS 398 form and check the YES box.
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may be
obtained from the following office:
     
Grants Management Branch
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 8-A-54
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6710
     
INQUIRIES
     
Further information and consultation on program requirements can be obtained
from:
     
Chief, Community Research Branch
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 9-A-30
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6720

VIRAL ONCOGENESIS AND PATHOGENESIS OF HEPATOCELLULAR CARCINOMA
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  90-CA-08
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0705025, 0765033, 1002045
     
National Cancer Institute
     
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  June 4, 1990
Application Receipt Date:  August 3, 1990
     
INTRODUCTION
     
A diverse group of viral agents are etiologically associated with human viral
hepatitis, some of which are also associated with chronic sequelae that may
progress to primary hepatocellular carcinoma (PHC).  Hepatitis B virus (HBV)
is a double-stranded DNA virus that occurs worldwide and can be transmitted by
contaminated blood, blood products, or unsterile needles.  In addition,
horizontal spread of the virus occurs, particularly among young children, by
contamination of mucous membranes or small breaks in the skin with
contaminated secretions from infected playmates.  Perinatal (vertical)
transmission from HBV-infected mothers to offspring also occurs and is a
particularly important mode of transmission in Asia.  HBV progresses to a
chronic infection or chronic carrier state in 5-10 percent of the adult
clinical cases and has been strongly associated with the etiology of PHC.
     
The term "non-A, non-B hepatitis virus" (NANBH) describes viral hepatitis that
occurs in the absence of serologic markers for known hepatotropic agents such
as hepatitis A virus (HAV), HBV, or other viruses such as cytomegalovirus or
Epstein-Barr virus that are associated with hepatitis-like symptoms.  Three
epidemiologic forms of human NANBH, called "blood-transmitted",
     
                  Vol. 19, No. 2, January 12, 1990 - Page 2
"coagulation-factor-transmitted", and "enteric" or "waterborne", have been
proposed based on studies in primate models.  NANBH agents cause an acute
hepatitis that is somewhat milder than HBV induced disease; however, it has
been estimated that at least half of the NANBH infections result in chronic
hepatitis, which in turn results in cirrhosis in approximately 20 percent of
these cases.  Chronicity and cirrhosis carry increased risk of PHC.  NANBH is
of particular significance in the U.S. since up to 10 percent of transfusions
in the U.S. are thought to result in hepatitis and more than 90 percent of the
transfusion-associated hepatitis in the U.S. is associated with NANB agents.
The "blood transmitted" form of NANBH, also referred to by some investigators
as hepatitis C virus (HCV), has an RNA genome and is the only one of these
agents currently associated with primary hepatocellular carcinoma.
     
This Request for Applications (RFA) is for a single competition with a
deadline of August 3, 1990, for receipt of applications, and June 4, 1990, for
receipt of letters of intent.  Applications should be prepared and submitted
in accordance with the aims and requirements described in the complete RFA
document which may be obtained from the program director listed in the
INQUIRIES section.
     
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
     
The overall thrust of this RFA is to stimulate research on the human hepatitis
viruses associated with liver cancer (e.g. HBV, NANBH or HCV), and their
interactions with environmental factors (e.g., dietary aflatoxin), and host
factors (chromosomal fragility, immune response) in order to identify the
mechanism(s) involved in establishment of chronicity, cell transformation, and
PHC.  Examples of research objectives would include the following:  (i)
development and/or use of sensitive and specific assays for blood-borne NANBH
(HCV) to determine the possible role of this agent in PHC; (ii) determination
of the prevalence of HBV strains resistant to currently available vaccines and
the role of genetic variation of HBV isolates in this process; (iii)
definition of the role of the HBV X gene in transformation; (iv) systematic
studies of co-carcinogenesis (viral, chemical, and/or dietary factors) in the
development of PHC in animal models of human cancer (e.g. the woodchuck); (v)
determination, in transgenic animals, of the oncogenic potential of specific
viral gene products; (vi) determination of the possible role of cellular
oncogenes or anti-oncogenes in PHC; (vii) investigation of the role of
chromosomal abnormalities in susceptibility to PHC; and (viii) measurement of
the host response to individual viral proteins with the goal of delineating
the host response to different viral antigens in hepatitis-associated
pre-malignant and malignant sequelae.
     
Where appropriate, collaborative arrangements to facilitate the achievement of
research goals should be considered.
     
Applications should contain as goals both methodological development and
application to a specific area of HBV or HCV oncogenesis as well as studies of
possible synergistic interactions between viruses, alcohol, aflatoxins, etc.;
basic and/or clinical issues are considered as appropriate subjects for this
RFA.
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
This RFA will use the National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant-in-aid (RO1).
Responsibility for the planning, direction and execution of the proposed
project will be solely that of the applicant.  Except as stated in this RFA,
awards will be administered under PHS grants policy as described in the Public
Health Service Grants Policy Statement, DHHS Publication No. (OASH) 82-50,000,
revised January 1, 1987.
     
This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  Generally, future unsolicited competing
renewal applications will compete as research project applications with all
other investigator-initiated applications and be reviewed in a standing
Division of Research Grants study section.  However, should the National
Cancer Institute (NCI) determine that there is a sufficient continuing program
need, NCI may announce a request for renewal applications.
     
Approximately $1,000,000 in total costs per year for five (5) years will be
committed to fund applications that are submitted in response to this RFA.
Actual funding is dependent on the receipt of a sufficient number of
applications of high scientific merit.  The total project period for
applications submitted in response to the present RFA should not exceed five
(5) years.  The earliest feasible start date for the initial awards will be
April 1, 1991.  Although this program is provided for in the financial plans
of the NCI, award of grants pursuant to this RFA is also contingent upon the
availability of funds for this purpose.  Non-profit and for-profit

                  Vol. 19, No. 2, January 12, 1990 - Page 3
institutions are eligible to apply, as are both foreign and domestic
institutions.
     
INQUIRIES
     
A copy of the complete RFA describing the research goals and scope, the review
criteria, and the method of applying can be obtained by contacting:
     
Dr. John S. Cole, III
Program Director
RNA Virus Studies II
Biological Carcinogenesis Branch
Division of Cancer Etiology
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Room 540
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1718
     
Written or telephone inquiries concerning the objectives and scope of this RFA
or inquiries about whether or not specific proposed research would be
responsive are encouraged and should be directed to Dr. Cole at the above
address.  The program director welcomes the opportunity to clarify any issues
or questions from potential applicants.

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

MOLECULAR APPROACHES TO DRUG ABUSE RESEARCH
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404009, 1002008, 0760075, 0765010
     
National Institute on Drug Abuse
     
PURPOSE
     
The purpose of this announcement is to stimulate basic research in the
molecular biology of the addictive process.  In general, research is needed
to:  (1) identify and elucidate the structure of cellular membrane components
such as receptors and transporters with specific affinity for drugs of abuse;
(2) establish the biosynthetic pathways by which inter- and intra-cellular
messengers involved in the addictive process are synthesized, modified and
degraded; (3) explore the molecular mechanism(s) involved in tolerance,
dependence, craving and other manifestations of the addictive process; and (4)
develop new methods and resources to facilitate the study of the addictive
process at the molecular level.
     
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES*
     
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) encourages the submission of
research proposals to gather and integrate information at the molecular
biology and genetic levels in order to understand the underlying basis of
addiction, the consequences of long-term drug abuse, and to generate better
strategies for effective diagnosis, treatment, education and prevention.
     
Examples of particular interest include the following:
     
1.  Neuropeptides:  Studies of the expression, processing and distribution of
various relevant neuropeptide genes at different developmental stages.
     
2.  Receptors:  Efforts to study the cloned genes of receptors, ion channels
and transporters in terms of genomic organization, chromosomal localization as
well as the regulation of their expression.
     
3.  Genetic Factors of the Addiction Processes:  Development of strains of
animals exhibiting variation in drug preference, vulnerability, tolerance and
dependence to abused substances, studies to uncover the genes responsible for
these variations.
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
Support can be obtained in the form of RO1 (Research Project Grants), RO3
(Small Grants), R13 (Research Conference Grants), R29 (First Independent
Research Support and Transition Awards).

     

                  Vol. 19, No. 2, January 12, 1990 - Page 4
ELIGIBILITY
     
Application for research grants may be submitted by any public or private
non-profit or for-profit institution such as universities, colleges,
hospitals, laboratories, units of State or local government, private industry
and eligible agencies of the Federal Government.  Women and minority
investigators are encouraged to apply.
     
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
     
Applicants should use the grant application form PHS-398 (Rev.  10/88).  The
title of this Program Announcement, "Molecular Approaches to Drug Abuse
Research," should be typed in item number 2 on the face page of the PHS-398
application form.
     
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may be
obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at most
colleges, universities, medical schools, and other major research facilities.
If such a source is not available, the following office may be contacted for
the necessary application material:
     
Grants Management Branch
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 10-25
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6710
     
The signed original and six (6) permanent, legible copies of the completed
application should be sent to:
     
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland  20892**
     
RECEIPT AND REVIEW SCHEDULE
     
The schedule for receipt and review is as follows:
     
Receipt       Initial  Advisory Council   Earliest
Dates         Review       Review        Start Date
(New/Renewal)
     
Jun 1/Jul 1#   Oct/Nov     Jan/Feb         Apr 1
Oct 1/Nov 1#   Feb/Mar     May/June        July 1
Feb 1/Mar 1#   May/June    Sep/Oct         Dec 1
     
# Amended applications (new or renewal) are to be submitted on these dates.
     
Applications received after the above receipt dates are subject to assignment
to the next review cycle or may be returned to the applicant.
     
REVIEW PROCESS
     
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for receipt of
applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.  Applications received
under this announcement will be assigned to an Initial Review Group (IRG) in
accordance with established PHS Referral Guidelines.  The IRGs, consisting
primarily of non-Federal scientific and technical experts, will review the
applications for scientific and technical merit.  Notification of the review
recommendations will be sent to the applicant after the initial review.
Applications will receive a second-level review by an appropriate National
Advisory Council whose review may be based on policy considerations as well as
scientific merit.  Only applications recommended for approval by the Council
may be considered for funding.
     
Applications submitted in response to this announcement are not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372, as implemented
through Department of Health and Human Services regulations at 45 CFR Part 100
and are not subject to Health Systems Agency Review.
     
REVIEW CRITERIA
     
Criteria for scientific/technical merit review of applications will include
the following:  significance and originality from a scientific or technical
standpoint of the goals of the proposed research; adequacy of the methodology
proposed to carry out the research; feasibility of the principal investigator
and other key research personnel; availability of adequate facilities, other
     
                  Vol. 19, No. 2, January 12, 1990 - Page 5
resources, and collaborative arrangements necessary for the research;
appropriateness of budget estimates for the proposed research activities; and
adequacy of provision for the protection of human subjects and the welfare of
animal subjects, as applicable.
     
AWARD CRITERIA
     
Applications recommended for approval by the National Advisory Council on Drug
Abuse will be considered for funding on the basis of overall scientific and
technical merit of the research as determined by peer review, National
Institute on Drug Abuse needs and balance, and availability of funds.
     
INQUIRIES
     
The guidelines, other information about the drug abuse research grants
program, and further information about areas of interest described in this
announcement may be obtained by contacting:
     
Dr. Theresa Lee
Biomedical Branch
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 10A-31
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6300
     
* Other components of the Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health
Administration (ADAMHA) share an interest in several of the research areas
described in this announcement.  Projects may be submitted under this
announcement that address issues in common with the National Institute on
Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.  Joint funding of such projects is possible;
however, preapplication consultation is strongly encouraged.  Applications are
considered for acceptance and assigned according to standing Institute
referral guidelines.  Referencing this announcement does not guarantee
assignment to NIDA.

                                    ERRATA

NCI/MARC SUMMER TRAINING SUPPLEMENT
     
P.T. 42, FF; K.W. 0720005, 0715035, 1014006
     
National Cancer Institute
     
Application Receipt Date:  February 1, 1990
     
In the above captioned Program Announcement published in the December 1, 1989
issue of the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts (Vol.  18, No. 43), a portion
of the first paragraph was omitted.  The correct version appears below:
     
The Comprehensive Minority Biomedical Program (CMBP) of the Division of
Extramural Activities (DEA), National Cancer Institute (NCI), invites
interested grantee institutions that have Minority Access to Research Careers
(MARC) grants to apply for CMBP support of MARC scholars interested in
obtaining laboratory research experience at the NCI.  This program
announcement will be issued on an annual basis.

INVESTIGATIONS INTO METHODS THAT REPLACE OR REDUCE VERTEBRATE ANIMALS USED IN
RESEARCH, OR LESSEN THEIR PAIN AND DISTRESS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0755020, 0780010, 0780015, 0780020
     
National Institutes of Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
     
The following is a correction in the NIH-wide Program Announcement entitled,
"Investigations Into Methods That Replace Or Reduce Vertebrate Animals Used In
Research, Or Lessen Their Pain And Distress" published in the NIH Guide for
Grants and Contracts, Volume 18, No. 39, November 3, 1989.  The National
Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) was
inadvertently omitted from the list of participating Institutes.  The contact
person for NIDCD is the following:

     

                  Vol. 19, No. 2, January 12, 1990 - Page 6
Dr. Ralph F. Naunton
Acting Director, Extramural Programs
National Institute on Deafness and
 Other Communication Disorders
Federal Building, Room 1C-11
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1804

**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS THE
CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.  APPLICANTS WHO
USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S
REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD
BUILDING IS:
     
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20816

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
                  Vol. 19, No. 2, January 12, 1990 - Page 7