Subject: Forwarded Mail from Dot Baker
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 07:40 EST

Paul,
    Please post this one to the listserver as:
     NIHGUIDE.012690
     Thanks a lot for all your good help.
                                         Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
     
Subject: NIH Guide Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990, Part 1 (final,RFAs next)
X-comment: NIH Guide (including TOC) contained 16 pages (1280 lines)

     

     
     
Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990

                                   NOTICES

NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE-DESIGNATED COMPREHENSIVE CANCER CENTER
GUIDELINES .............................................(84/103)............. 1
National Cancer Institute
Index:  CANCER

UPDATE ON THE NIH POLICY REGARDING PROGRAM PROJECT, AND OTHER COMPLEX
MULTIFACETED, UNSOLICITED GRANT APPLICATIONS ...........(106/260)............ 1
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING STUDIES IN MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS (RFP) .............. 3
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke   (266/299)
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE

NATIONAL COLLABORATIVE DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING TRIAL PROJECTS (RFA 90-CA-05) ..... 3
National Cancer Institute                          (302/362, 1284/1881)
Index:  CANCER

RESEARCH DEMONSTRATIONS PROGRAM TO ENHANCE DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT
(RFA DA-90-05) ..........................................(365/494)........... 4
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Index:  DRUG ABUSE

DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT EVALUATION RESEARCH CENTER GRANT (RFA DA-90-04) ........ 6
National Institute on Drug Abuse                         (497/647)
Index:  DRUG ABUSE

COOPERATIVE AGREEMENTS FOR RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION PROJECTS ON ALCOHOL AND
OTHER DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT FOR HOMELESS PERSONS (RFA AA-90-01) ..(650/773)... 8
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Index:  ALCOHOL ABUSE, ALCOHOLISM, DRUG ABUSE

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

DRUG ABUSE ASPECTS OF THE ACQUIRED IMMUNODEFICIENCY SYNDROME ..(779/989)..... 9
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Index:  DRUG ABUSE

ETHICAL, LEGAL AND SOCIAL IMPLICATIONS OF THE HUMAN GENOME
INITIATIVE ....................................................(992/1214)....12
National Cancer for Human Genome Research
Index:  HUMAN GENOME

     

     

     

     
     
                                   NOTICES

NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE-DESIGNATED COMPREHENSIVE CANCER CENTER GUIDELINES
     
P.T. 04; K.W. 0715035, 0710030, 1014006
     
National Cancer Institute
     
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) announces the availability of Cancer
Center Support Guidelines for NCI-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers.
Copies of the Guidelines have been distributed to the Directors of all current
NCI-Supported Cancer Centers.  Copies for general distribution are now
available and may be obtained by contacting:
     
Margaret E. Holmes, Ph.D.
Acting Chief, Cancer Centers Branch
Division of Cancer Biology and Diagnosis
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Room 308
6130 Executive Boulevard
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8531

UPDATE ON THE NIH POLICY REGARDING PROGRAM PROJECT, AND OTHER
COMPLEX MULTIFACETED, UNSOLICITED GRANT APPLICATIONS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0710030, 1014006
     
National Institutes of Health
     
The Institutes, Centers, and Divisions (ICDs) of the National Institutes of
Health (NIH) accept a variety of large unsolicited grant applications, such as
those for program projects and other large, complex coordinated research
grants.  However, guidelines and policies governing preparation, review, and
funding of these applications are not uniform across the NIH and may differ
because of a variety of factors such as legislative mandates, fiscal
constraints and programmatic management.
     
In order to serve the extramural community better, the National Institutes of
Health advise that prior to submission of any application for an unsolicited,
multifaceted grant, applicants communicate with appropriate ICD staff.  This
action will allow the applicant to be apprised of the guidelines and policies
that govern the preparation, review and funding of such applications for a
particular ICD.  Of special concern is the fact that the different ICDs have
different dollar limits for such multifaceted applications, and applications
that exceed these limits will be returned without review.
     
The assignment of an application to a potential funding source within the NIH
is based on scientific guidelines developed for each ICD in conjunction with
the Division of Research Grants (DRG) and is the responsibility of the DRG,
not of the individual ICDs.  Thus, when the potential applicant discusses
plans for a complex program grant application with the initial ICD contact,
he/she is strongly advised to inquire whether other ICDs may also have
relevant scientific interests so that additional staff contacts can be made if
appropriate.
     
The following individuals may be contacted for specific questions related to
such applications:
     
National Institute on Aging
9000 Rockville Pike
Bldg. 31, Room 5C06
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Dr. Miriam Kelty
Telephone:  (301) 496-9322
     
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
5333 Westbard Avenue
Westwood Bldg., Room 703
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Dr. John Diggs
Telephone:  (301) 496-7291

     

                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 1
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
9000 Rockville Pike
Bldg. 31, Room 4C32
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Dr. Michael Lockshin
Telephone:  (301) 496-0802
     
National Cancer Institute
9000 Rockville Pike
Bldg. 31, Room 10A03
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Ms. Barbara Bynum
Telephone:  (301) 496-5147
     
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
9000 Rockville Pike
Bldg. 31, Room 2A03
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Dr. Antonio Novello
Telephone:  (301) 496-1848
     
National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Federal Bldg., Room 1C11
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Dr. Ralph Naunton
Telephone:  (301) 496-1804
     
National Institute of Dental Research
5333 Westbard Avenue
Westwood Bldg., Room 503
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Dr. Lois Cohen
Telephone:  (301) 496-7723
     
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
5333 Westbard Avenue
Westwood Bldg., Room 657
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Dr. Walter Stolz
Telephone:  (301) 496-7277
     
National Eye Institute
9000 Rockville Pike
Bldg. 31, Room 6A08
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.: Dr. Ralph J. Helmsen
Telephone:  (301) 496-5884
     
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
P.O. Box l2233
Bldg. 3, Room 301
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
Att.:  Dr. Anne Sassaman
Telephone:  (919) 541-7723
FTS 8-629-7723
     
National Institute of General Medical Sciences
5333 Westbard Avenue
Westwood Bldg., Room 953
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Dr. W. Sue Shafer
Telephone:  (301) 496-7061
     
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
5333 Westbard Avenue
Westwood Bldg., Room 7A17
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Dr. Ronald Geller
Telephone:  (301) 496-7416
     
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Federal Bldg., Room 1016
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Dr. John Dalton
Telephone:  (301) 496-9248

                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 2
National Center for Human Genome Research
9000 Rockville Pike
Bldg. 1, Room 203
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Dr. Mark Guyer
Telephone:  (301) 496-0844
     
National Center for Nursing Research
9000 Rockville Pike
Bldg. 31, Room 5B09
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att.:  Dr. Janet Heinrich
Telephone:   (301) 496-0523
     
Division of Research Resources
9000 Rockville Pike
Bldg. 3l, Room lB63
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Att: Dr. Judith Vaitukaitis
Telephone:  (30l) 496-6023

                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING STUDIES IN MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NINDS-90-03 (Broad Agency Announcement)
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0706030, 0715140, 0710070, 0785035
     
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
     
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH, has a
requirement to determine the optimal frequency for performing magnetic
resonance imaging (MRI) in multiple sclerosis (MS) patients.  Offerors must
have expertise in clinical, immunological, and MRI investigations of MS
patients.
     
It is anticipated that one or more awards will be made for a period of two
years each, depending upon the nature and complexity of the research projects
proposed.
     
This is not a Request for Proposals (RFP).  The RFP will be issued on or about
January 23, 1990, as a Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) as defined in FAR
Subparts 6.102 (d) (2) and 35.016.  A tentative date for receipt of proposals
is set for March 23, 1990.
     
To receive a copy of the RFP, please submit a written request and two
self-addressed mailing labels to the following address:
     
Contracting Officer
Contracts Management Branch, DEA
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH
Federal Building, Room 901
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
     
Attn:  BAA/RFP No.NIH-NINDS-90-03

NATIONAL COLLABORATIVE DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING TRIAL PROJECTS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  90-CA-05
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0706030, 0715035, 0745020
     
National Cancer Institute
     
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  March 25, 1990
Application Receipt Date:  April 25, 1990
     
The Radiation Research Program (RRP), Division of Cancer Treatment (DCT) of
the National Cancer Institute (NCI) invites applications for Cooperative
Agreement for NATIONAL COLLABORATIVE DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING TRIAL PROJECTS.  The
objectives of the present proposal are to conceive new approaches for the
development and implementation of national cooperative trials carried out by
multiple institutions to develop new algorithms for the appropriate sequential
     
                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 3
use of the most advanced imaging procedures to diagnose, stage and monitor
malignant disease.
     
The decades of the 1970's and 1980's have been characterized by spectacular
technical advances in medical imaging, particularly those applied to tumor
definition and characterization.  These technologies have now developed to the
stage where a clear identification of the relative roles of each diagnostic
modality in the diagnosis and staging of cancer is warranted.  To date, most
comparative studies evaluating imaging technologies have been based on limited
studies and have involved small numbers of cases making their results often
equivocal and not applicable in large scale patient care settings.
     
Multi-institutional trials (collaborative group) have been established by NCI
to assess the relative role of each imaging modality in cancer management of
carcinomas of the prostate, lung, colorectal and pancreas.
     
The objective of this Request for Applications (RFA) is to support multicenter
cooperative clinical trials to determine the most effective imaging procedures
required to stage and monitor head and neck and musculoskeletal carcinomas.
The successful applicants will join the on-going cooperative agreement;
(86-CA-10) an re-issuance, (88-CA-02).  Sufficient numbers of patients
including minorities and women must be available and committed to meaningful
imaging trials.
     
Approximately $900,000 in total costs per year for four years will be
committed specifically to fund applications that are submitted in response to
this RFA.  It is anticipated that approximately six or possibly eight
scientifically meritorious applications can be funded.
     
The RFA label available with the 10/88 revision of application 398 must be
affixed to the bottom of the face page.  Failure to use this label could
result in delayed processing of your application such that it may not reach
the review committee in time for review.
     
Request for copies of the complete RFA should be addressed to:
     
Dr. Matti Al-Aish, Acting Chief,
Diagnostic Imaging Research Branch
Radiation Research Program
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Suite 800
Bethesda, Maryland  20892

RESEARCH DEMONSTRATIONS PROGRAM TO ENHANCE DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  DA-90-05
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404009, 0403004
     
National Institute on Drug Abuse
     
Application Receipt Date:  April 9, 1990
     
PURPOSE
     
The purpose of this announcement is to request applications for research
demonstration projects to improve the effectiveness of drug abuse treatment
and expand treatment capacity.  An additional aim of the announcement is to
provide support for expanded treatment or the improved provision of treatment
services within the context of a research program.
     
RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION OBJECTIVES
     
The aim of the grant program is to demonstrate improvements in drug abuse and
dependence treatment, with results that enable treatment systems to operate
with greater effectiveness and efficiency.  Applicants are expected to design
carefully controlled studies to demonstrate the effectiveness of improvements
in existing treatment strategies or the efficacy of new therapeutic
interventions.  Funding will be available for the treatment of opioid,
cocaine, and polydrug abuse, as well as treatment of abused "gateway" drugs
that may lead to more serious drug abuse.  Enhancing client recruitment and
retention, making treatment more effective, and reducing relapse after
treatment are appropriate areas of investigation under this announcement.
Outcomes must be tailored toward reducing drug use, improving retention in
treatment, improving client compliance with program expectations, and reducing
relapse to abused drugs.  Interventions can be pharmacological or
nonpharmacological and may be based in a variety of settings.  Investigation
     
                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 4
into all types of treatment modalities, including those seeking to mainstream
drug treatment, is encouraged.  Reports describing the expanded treatment or
the improved provision of treatment services will be required.
     
INCLUSION OF MINORITIES IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
Applicants are urged to give added attention (where feasible and appropriate)
to the inclusion of minorities in study populations for research into the
etiology of diseases, research in behavioral and social sciences, clinical
studies of treatment and treatment outcomes, research on the dynamics of
health care and its impact on disease, and appropriate interventions for
disease prevention and health promotion.  If minorities are not included in a
given study, a clear rationale for their exclusion should be provided.
     
INCLUSION OF WOMEN IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
Applicants are urged to consider the inclusion of women in the study
populations for all clinical research efforts.  Exceptions would be studies of
diseases which exclusively affect males or where involvement of pregnant women
may expose the fetus to undue risks.  Gender differences should be noted and
evaluated.  If women are not to be included, a clear rationale should be
provided for their exclusion.
     
AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
     
Money has been made available to fund up to 10 new research demonstration
grants at an approximate first year cost of up to $1 million each.
     
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
     
Applicants must use the standard PHS 398 (rev.  10/88) grant application form.
When applying, the name of this RFA, "Research Demonstration Program to
Improve Treatment for Drug Abuse, RFA 90-05", should be typed in item 2 of the
face page of PHS 398.  Application kits are available from university grant
offices or from the Grants Management Branch, National Institute on Drug
Abuse, Room 8A-54, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, Maryland 29875, Telephone
(301) 443-6710.  Applicants must affix the RFA label available in the 398 to
the bottom of the face page.  Failure to use this label could result in
delayed processing of the application such that it may not reach the review
committee in time for review.  The original and six (6) copies of each
application must be submitted to:
     
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland 20892**
     
REVIEW PROCESS AND CRITERIA
     
Applications received under this announcement will be assigned to an initial
review group (IRG) in accordance with established PHS Referral Guidelines.
The IRGs, consisting primarily of non-Federal scientific and technical
experts, will review the applications for scientific and technical merit.
Notification of the review recommendations will be sent to the applicant after
the initial review.  Applications will receive a second-level review by an
appropriate National Advisory Council, whose review may be based on policy
considerations as well as scientific merit.  Only applications recommended for
approval by the Council may be considered for funding.
     
AWARD CRITERIA
     
Applications recommended for approval by an appropriate National Advisory
Council will be considered for funding on the basis of overall scientific,
clinical, and technical merit of the proposal as determined by peer review,
appropriateness of budget estimates, the agency's program needs and balance,
policy considerations, adequacy of provisions for the protection of human
subjects, and availability of funds.
     
INQUIRIES
     
Further information and consultation on program requirements can be obtained
from:

     

     
     
                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 5
Frank M. Tims, Ph.D.
Deputy Chief, Treatment Research Branch
Division of Clinical Research
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room l0A-30
Rockville, Maryland 20857
Telephone:  (30l) 443-4060
     
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
13.279.  Grants will be awarded under the authority of Sections 301 and 515 of
the Public Health Service Act, as amended (42 USC 241 and 42 USC 290), and
administered in accordance with the PHS Grants Policy Statement and Federal
Regulations at 42 CFR Part 52, and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is subject to
the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372.

DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT EVALUATION RESEARCH CENTER GRANT
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  DA-90-04
     
P.T. 04; K.W. 0404009, 0710030, 0795005, 0404000
     
National Institute on Drug Abuse
     
Application Receipt Date:  March 30, 1990
     
PURPOSE
     
The purpose of this announcement is to establish and support a Center to
conduct interdisciplinary research on the effectiveness of drug abuse
treatment.
     
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
     
The Abuse Treatment Evaluation Research Center Grant Program is designed to
complement the regular research grants program of the National Institute on
Drug Abuse (NIDA) by providing long-term support for interdisciplinary
evaluative research on drug abuse treatment.  The program is intended to
attract investigators in the behavioral, social, and biomedical sciences to
conduct evaluative research on the treatment of drug abuse, and to provide a
stable environment for such persons to engage in treatment research.  A Center
is expected to become a significant regional or national research resource.
The Center funded under this announcement will not only conduct treatment
evaluation research but also will participate actively in and cooperate with
NIDA's programmatic efforts to systematically review, coordinate, and
integrate research on treatment populations, process, and outcome.
     
A variety of designs and research strategies may be employed to evaluate
existing treatment programming and related interventions.  Both field studies
and controlled (randomized) studies may be used, as well as secondary analyses
to investigate issues of interest to treatment evaluation.  Areas for
investigation potentially include comparative effectiveness of treatment
program types for well-defined client groups, treatment process, the structure
of treatment, studies of specific modalities, outreach, differential
attractiveness of treatment, client-treatment matching, the role of
non-treatment factors, correctional treatment, treatment of drug abuse in
primary health care delivery systems, effectiveness of alternative (i.e., not
designed primarily for drug abusers) treatments, treatment improvement,
treatment for specific drugs of abuse, aftercare and relapse prevention,
treatment careers, and cohort-based studies of long-term outcomes.
Methodologically oriented studies may also be appropriate activities for the
Center under this program.
     
INCLUSION OF MINORITIES IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
Applicants are urged to give added attention (where feasible and appropriate)
to the inclusion of minorities in study populations for research into the
etiology of diseases, research in behavioral and social sciences, clinical
studies of treatment in behavioral and social sciences, clinical studies of
treatment and treatment outcomes, research on the dynamics of health care and
its impact on disease, and appropriate interventions for disease prevention
and health promotion.  If minorities are not included in a given study, a
clear rationale for their exclusion should be provided.
     
INCLUSION OF WOMEN IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
Applicants are urged to consider the inclusion of women in the study
populations for all clinical efforts.  Exceptions would be studies of diseases
     
                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 6
which exclusively affect males or where involvement of pregnant women may
expose the fetus to undue risks.  Gender differences should be noted and
evaluated.  If women are not to be included, a clear rationale should be
provided for their exclusion.
     
In order to provide more precise information to the treatment community, it is
recommended that publications resulting from research supported by the
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration in which the study
population was limited to one sex for any reason other than that the disease
or condition studied exclusively affects that sex, should state, in the
abstract summary, the gender of the population studied, e.g., "male patients,"
"male volunteers," "female patients," and "female volunteers."
     
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
     
Applicants must use the standard PHS 398 (rev.  10/88) grant application form.
When applying, type in item 2 of face page of PHS 398, the name of this
announcement, "Drug Abuse Treatment Research Center Program, RFA DA-90-04."
Application kits are available from university grant offices or from the
Grants Management Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Room 8A-54, 5600
Fishers Lane, Rockville, Maryland 20857; Telephone (30l) 443-67l0.
     
Applicants must affix the RFA label available in the 398 to the bottom of the
face page.  Failure to use this label could result in delayed processing of
the application such that it may not reach the review committee in time for
review.
     
The original and six (6) copies of applications must be submitted to:
     
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland 20892**
     
REVIEW PROCESS AND CRITERIA
     
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for receipt of
applications for most discretionary HHS grant programs.  Applications received
under this announcement will be assigned to an initial review group (IRG) in
accordance with established PHS Referral Guidelines.  The IRGs, consisting
primarily of non-Federal scientific and technical experts, will review the
applications for scientific and technical merit.  Notification of the review
recommendations will be sent to the applicant after the initial review.
Applications will receive a second-level review by the National Advisory
Council on Drug Abuse, whose review may be based on policy considerations as
well as scientific merit.  Only applications recommended for approval by the
Council may be considered for funding.
     
AWARD CRITERIA
     
Applications recommended for approval by the National Advisory Council on Drug
Abuse will be considered for funding on the basis of overall scientific and
technical merit of the Center proposal as determined by peer review,
appropriateness of budget estimates, NIDA program needs and balance, NIDA
policy considerations, adequacy of provisions for the protection of human
subjects, and availability of funds.
     
AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
     
In fiscal year 1990, an estimated $1 million will be available to support one
new grant under this announcement.  The actual amount of funding available
will depend on appropriated funds and program priorities at the time of award.
     
INQUIRIES
     
Prospective applicants may obtain additional information regarding the
development of Drug Abuse Treatment Evaluation Research Center grant
applications and advice regarding the feasibility/appropriateness of such
applications by contacting:
     
Frank M. Tims, Ph.D.
Deputy Chief, Treatment Research Branch
Division of Clinical Research
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Parklawn Building, Room 10A-30
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4060
     
                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 7
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
13.279.  Grants will be awarded under the authority of Sections 301 and 515 of
the Public Health Service Act, as amended (42 USC 241 and 42 USC 290), and
administered in accordance with the PHS Grants Policy Statement and Federal
Regulations at 42 CFR Part 52, and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not
subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372
or Health Systems Agency Review.

COOPERATIVE AGREEMENTS FOR RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION PROJECTS ON
ALCOHOL AND OTHER DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT FOR HOMELESS PERSONS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  AA-90-01
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404003, 0403004, 0404009
     
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism and
National Institute on Drug Abuse
     
Application Receipt Date:  April 9, 1990
     
PURPOSE
     
The purpose of this research demonstration program is to assess the
effectiveness of interventions for homeless individuals with alcohol and/or
other drug problems.  In FY 1990, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and
Alcoholism (NIAAA), in consultation with the National Institute on Drug Abuse
(NIDA), will award approximately $14 million to support the first year costs
of up to 18 new research demonstration projects.  Non-competing continuation
awards will be made for a total of three years, subject to continued
availability of funds and progress achieved.
     
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
     
The general purpose of this research demonstration program is to contribute to
scientific knowledge regarding effective interventions for homeless
individuals with alcohol and/or other drug problems.  Hypotheses should be
tested in terms of the following primary objectives:
     
  o  reduction of the consumption of alcohol and/or other drugs;
     
  o  increase in levels of shelter and residential stability;
     
  o  enhancement of economic and/or employment status.
     
FUNDING MECHANISM
     
The funding mechanism to be used to support these research demonstration
projects will be a cooperative agreement.  The major difference between
cooperative agreements and other grants is the substantial programmatic
involvement of Institute staff above and beyond the levels regularly required
for traditional program management of grants.  While individual investigators
will propose the hypotheses and key questions to be tested and will develop
the methods and research designs to accomplish this, the cooperative agreement
enables the Institutes to obtain specific data across sites and to report
findings at the national level.
     
ACTIVITIES FOR WHICH SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE
     
Interventions for homeless persons with alcohol and other drug problems are
divided into two broad categories:  initial interventions and extended
interventions.  Examples of initial interventions include outreach, engagement
and the provision of shelter, sobering, or detoxification services.  Extended
interventions include comprehensive treatment, self-help group involvement,
case management, transitional and permanent housing, and vocational training.
Support is available for the development, implementation and evaluation of new
treatment interventions only; funds may not be used solely for the evaluation
of existing interventions.  Applicants may choose from, but are not limited
to, the interventions listed above.
     
EVALUATION RESEARCH DESIGN
     
NIAAA and NIDA will support applications whose evaluation research designs
provide a rigorous test of the individual project's proposed intervention(s)
and are capable of contributing data that is comparable across sites for the
purposes of the national evaluation.  Therefore, applicants are required to
design an individual project evaluation that includes, at minimum, a
comparison group and a core set of standardized instruments (described below).
     
                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 8
While the primary activities supported under this Request for Applications
(RFA) will be the evaluation research projects designed and implemented by the
awardees, a national evaluation will be conducted by NIAAA in collaboration
with the awardees.  As participants in the national evaluation, all sites will
collect individual-level, outcome evaluation data on all study participants in
extended interventions using, at a minimum, the following instruments:  the
Addiction Severity Index, the Alcohol Dependence Scale, the Global Assessment
Scale, and the housing section of the Personal History Form.
     
INCLUSION OF MINORITIES IN THE RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION
     
The Institutes urge applicants to give added attention (where feasible and
appropriate) to the inclusion of minorities in the research demonstration.  If
minorities are not included, a clear rationale for their exclusion should be
provided.  Applicants are also urged to consider the inclusion of women in the
research demonstration.  Gender differences should be noted and evaluated.  If
women are not to be included, a clear rationale should be provided for their
exclusion.  In addition, the Institutes would like to encourage applications
which address the special needs of other homeless subpopulations, such as
women with children, adolescents, young adult males, chronic public
inebriants, and individuals with alcohol and/or other drug problems
concomitant with a mental illness.
     
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
     
Applicants should use Form PHS 398 (revised 10/88).  Important additional
materials are enclosed with the PHS 398 in a Supplemental Materials Package
for this RFA.  These materials should be requested from:
     
NIAAA Homeless Demonstration Program RFA
National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
Post Office Box 2345
Rockville, Maryland 20857
Telephone:  (301) 468-2600
     
A technical assistance workshop will be sponsored to assist those interested
in responding to this announcement.  The workshop will be offered on two
occasions:  February 20-21, 1990 in Phoenix, Arizona, and March 13-14, 1990 in
Bethesda, Maryland.  Attendance at the workshop is not required but is
encouraged for those who intend to complete an application for this
announcement.
     
INQUIRIES
     
All inquiries and requests for the full text of the RFA should be directed to:
     
Barbara G. Lubran, M.P.H.
Chief, Homeless Demonstration and Evaluation Branch
Division of Clinical and Prevention Research
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 16C-02
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-0786

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

DRUG ABUSE ASPECTS OF THE ACQUIRED IMMUNODEFICIENCY SYNDROME
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715008, 0404009, 0414015, 0411005, 0785055
     
National Institute on Drug Abuse
     
PURPOSE
     
The purpose of this announcement is to stimulate research on the
interrelationships between acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) and drug
abuse.  This announcement is a revision that addresses the progress in this
research area since December 1986.
     
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
     
There are a number of partially overlapping foci for this research that cannot
be ranked in order of importance in dealing with the complexities of these
problems, but that must be addressed.  One focus is research on implications
for AIDS risk behaviors of poly- and multiple-drug abuse, opiate drug use
(e.g., cocaine [including crack], methamphetamine [including ice]), and non-IV
     
                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 9
routes of administration.  A second focus is prevention/intervention issues
and strategies including the overall study of the behavioral implications of
serostatus and concentrating on:  (1) behavior change and resistances to such
change in drug-abusing populations at risk, covering issues and strategies
involving communities, community-based training, workplace-based initiatives,
special populations, sexual behavior, basic research on risk-taking and drug
treatment programs; and (2) the development of technology.  A third focus is
the clinical epidemiology/natural history of:  (a) initiation to drug abuse,
including the progression from experimentation to dependence and the
relationships between drug use and sexual behavior; and (b) HIV infection and
associated medical diseases in IV drug abusers and their sexual partners with
an emphasis on heterosexual transmission.  A fourth focus is the study of the
role of drug abuse in vertical (mother-to-child) transmission with emphasis on
the acquisition of data that is potentially relevant to
prevention/intervention strategies.  A fifth focus is the identification and
study of cofactors that, together with factors related to exposure to HIV,
affect vulnerability, transmissability, and disease course.  A sixth focus is
preclinical research using animal models and isolated human and animal tissues
to look at interrelationships among HIV infection and effects of drugs of
abuse on the immune, neuroendocrine and central nervous systems.  A seventh
focus is the clinical immunology of AIDS/HIV infection in drug-abusing
populations with an emphasis on joint effects of medical, drug abuse and
stress-related factors.  An eighth focus is the study of central nervous
system (neuropsychological and neuropsychiatric) impairments due to HIV in
drug abusers.  A ninth focus is the mathematical modeling of AIDS risk and
transmission among special vulnerable populations and the general population.
A tenth focus is on the acquisition of data from other countries that are not
available in the U.S. but have implications for U.S. AIDS programs and
policies.  Finally, an eleventh focus is on the ethical and legal issues
relevant to drug abuse and AIDS.
     
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
     
Support mechanisms include:  Research Projects (R01), Small Grants (R03),
First Independent Research Support and Transition Awards (R29), and Program
Projects (P01).  In addition, the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
employs a variety of support mechanisms that undergird the research training
and professional development of the clinicians and scientists upon whom future
drug-abuse research will depend and may have different application
requirements.  For this announcement, these include:  Research Scientist
Development Awards (K02, K05) as well as Scientist Development Awards (K21),
and Scientist Development Awards for Clinicians (K20).  For details on a
particular support mechanism or program, please contact staff members listed
at the end of this announcement.
     
ELIGIBILITY
     
Application for research grants may be submitted by any public or private
non-profit or for-profit institution such as universities, colleges,
hospitals, laboratories, units of State or local government, and eligible
agencies of the Federal Government.  Women and minority investigators are
encouraged to apply.
     
INCLUSION OF WOMEN IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
Applicants are urged to consider the inclusion of women in the study
populations for all clinical research efforts.  Exceptions would be studies of
diseases which exclusively affect males or where involvement of pregnant women
may expose the fetus to undue risks.  Gender differences should be noted and
evaluated.  If women are not to be included, a clear rationale should be
provided for their exclusion.
     
In order to provide more precise information to the treatment community, it is
recommended that publications resulting from NIDA-supported research in which
the study population was limited to one sex for any reason other than that the
disease or condition studies exclusively affects that sex, should state, in
the abstract summary, the gender of the population studied, e.g., "male
patients," "male volunteers," "female patients," "female volunteers."
     
INCLUSION OF MINORITIES IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
Applicants are urged to give added attention (where feasible and appropriate
to the inclusion of minorities in study populations for research into the
etiology of diseases, research in behavioral and social sciences, clinical
studies of treatment and treatment outcomes, research on the dynamics of
health care and its impact on disease, and appropriate interventions for
disease prevention and health promotion.  If minorities are not included in a
given study, a clear rationale for their exclusion should be provided.
     
                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 10
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
     
Applicants should use the grant application form PHS 398 (Rev. 10/88).  The
title of this Progam Announcement, DRUG ABUSE ASPECTS OF AIDS, should be typed
in item number 2 on the face page of the PHS-398 application form.  The
specific section(s) of the full program announcement to which the application
responds should be noted in parenthesis following this title (e.g. [section
II.  A.]). Names of NIDA Staff consulted should also be noted in a cover
letter.
     
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may be
obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at most
universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major research facilities.
If such a source is not available, the following office may be contacted for
the necessary application material:
     
Grants Management Branch
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 8A-54
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6710
     
The narrative portion of the application (sections A-D of the PHS-398),
including tables and charts, should not exceed 20 pages.  Type density may not
exceed 15 characters per inch.  Those exceeding this page limitation may be
rejected by the Division of Research Grants, NIH.  The signed original and 24
permanent legible copies of the complete application should be sent to:
     
Division of Research Grants, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland  20892**
     
RECEIPT AND REVIEW SCHEDULE
     
                       Advisory
Receipt    Initial     Council     Earliest
Dates      Review      Review      Start Date
     
Jan. 2*    Feb./March  May/June    June
May 1*     June/July   Sept./Oct.  November
Sept. 1*   Oct./Nov.   Jan./Feb.   February
     
* These schedules apply to all new, competing, revised, and supplemental AIDS
applications (only RO1 and R29).  See application kit PHS 398 for information
on receipt dates for other mechanisms.
     
REVIEW PROCESS AND REVIEW CRITERIA
     
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for receipt of
applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.  Applications received
under this announcement will be assigned to an Initial Review Group (IRG) in
accordance with established PHS Referral Guidelines.  The IRGs, consisting
primarily of non-Federal scientific and technical experts, will review the
applications for scientific and technical merit.  Notification of the review
recommendations will be sent to the applicant after the initial review.
Applications will receive a second-level review by an appropriate National
Advisory Council whose review may be based on policy as well as scientific
merit considerations.
     
Only applications recommended for approval by the Council may be considered
for funding.  Criteria for scientific/technical merit review of applications
will include the following:  relevance of the proposed research to improving
understanding of drug abuse aspects of AIDS; significance and originality from
a scientific or technical standpoint of the goals of the proposed research;
adequacy of the methodology proposed to carry out the research; feasibility of
the proposed research; qualifications of the principal investigator and other
key research personnel; availability of adequate facilities, other resources
and collaborative arrangements necessary for the research; appropriateness of
budget estimates for the proposed research activities; and adequacy of
provisions for the protection of human subjects and welfare of animal
subjects, as applicable.
     
Applications submitted in response to this announcement are not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372, as implemented
through Department of Health and Human Services regulations at 45 CFR Part 100
and are not subject to Health Systems Agency review.

     
                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 11
AWARD CRITERIA
     
Applications recommended for approval by an appropriate National Advisory
Council will be considered for funding on the basis of overall scientific and
technical merit of the research as determined by peer review, program needs
and balance, relevance to national need as reflected by research priorities,
potential contribution to the areas identified in the announcement, and
availability of funds.
     
INQUIRIES
     
Further information, general consultation on program requirements and referral
to specific staff representatives for specific sections of this announcement
can be obtained from:
     
Sander G. Genser, M.D., M.P.H.
Clinical Medicine Branch, DCR
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 10A-12
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-1801
     
FOOTNOTE This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 13.279.  Grants will be awarded under the authority of sections
301 and 515 of the Public Health Service Act, as amended (42 USC 241 and
290cc) and administered in accordance with the PHS Grants Policy Statement and
Federal regulations at 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not
subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372
or Health Systems Agency review.

ETHICAL, LEGAL AND SOCIAL IMPLICATIONS OF THE HUMAN GENOME INITIATIVE
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1215018, 1014004, 0404000, 1002019, 0783005, 0720005
     
National Center for Human Genome Research
     
This Program Announcement supercedes the one that appeared in the March 3,
1989 issue of the NIH Guide to Grants and Contracts, (Vol.  18, No. 7) and
restates the interest of the National Center for Human Genome Research
(NCHGR), National Institutes of Health (NIH), in receiving applications for
research grants and conference grants addressing ethical, legal, and social
issues that may arise from the application of knowledge gained as a result of
the Human Genome Initiative.  Applications for cross-disciplinary postdoctoral
training are also being sought.
     
BACKGROUND
     
The NIH is currently engaged, along with several other federal, private, and
international organizations, in a research program known as the Human Genome
Initiative.  This program is designed to characterize the human genome and the
genomes of selected model organisms.  It has several interrelated goals:  the
construction of high resolution genetic linkage maps; the development of
physical maps of the human genome and the genomes of selected model organisms;
the determination of the complete nucleotide sequence of human DNA and the DNA
of several model organisms; the development of the capability for collecting,
storing, distributing, and analyzing the data and materials produced; and the
development of appropriate new technologies necessary to achieve these
objectives.  The information that will be obtained as a result of the genome
project will be a resource for studies of gene structure and function and will
promote research into the genetic aspects of human disease.
     
The capabilities that arise out of the Human Genome Initiative also are
expected to have a profound impact on individuals and society.  Over 4,000
known inherited disorders have been identified.  Some cause disease before or
shortly after birth, while others are observed only in adulthood.  Mapping the
human genome will increase our ability to predict, understand, and eventually
prevent or cure human diseases.  However, knowing the entire sequence of the
human genome also will raise questions about how this information should be
used.  There are numerous social, legal, and ethical implications of this
endeavor.  To anticipate the impact of the Human Genome Initiative, the NIH
will give high priority to studies that address these issues and develop
options for policies or programs that minimize the possibilities of adverse
impact.  The NIH also is interested in improving public understanding of the
issues and stimulating broad discussion among the general public,
professionals, and policy makers with the goal that the information generated
be of maximum benefit to individuals and society.

                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 12
RESEARCH SCOPE
     
This program announcement emphasizes the ongoing commitment of the NIH to
support activities that focus on anticipating issues arising from the
application of the results of the Human Genome Initiative and on proposing
solutions that will forestall adverse effects.  In order to accomplish this
objective, support will be provided through research grants, conference grants
and individual postdoctoral fellowships for projects designed to address a
range of ethical, social and legal issues.  Areas of special interest include,
but are not limited to, the following topics:
     
1.  Questions of fairness in the use of genetic information with respect to:
insurance, employment, the criminal justice system, the educational system,
adoptions, the military, and other areas to be identified.
     
2.  The impact of knowledge of relevant genetic information on the individual,
including questions of:  stigmatization, ostracism, labelling, and individual
psychological responses.
     
3.  The privacy and confidentiality of genetic information, including
questions of ownership and control of genetic information and consent to
disclosure and use of genetic information.
     
4.  Issues raised by the impact of the Human Genome Initiative on genetic
counseling in the following areas:  prenatal testing, presymptomatic testing,
carrier status testing, testing when there is no therapeutic remedy,
counseling and testing for polygenic disorders, and population screening
versus testing.
     
5.  Issues raised by reproductive decisions influenced by genetic information,
including questions of the effect of genetic information on options available
and the use of genetic information in the decision-making process.
     
6.  Issues raised by the introduction of increased genetic information into
mainstream medical practice, including questions of:  professional standards
of care and quality control in acquiring and using genetic information, the
qualifications and training of health professionals involved in genetic
testing and counseling, the impact on the physician-patient relationship,
standards of appropriate patient education, and education of the general
public with respect to availability and accessibility of genetic services.
     
7.  The uses and misuses of genetics in the past and their relevance to the
current situation, e.g., the eugenics movement in the U.S. and abroad,
problems arising from screening for sickle cell trait, and other recent
examples in which screening or testing sometimes achieved unintended and
unwanted outcomes, and the misuse of behavioral genetics to advance eugenics
or prejudicial stereotypes.
     
8.  Questions raised by the commercialization of the products from the Human
Genome Initiative in the following areas:  intellectual property rights
(patents, copyrights, and trade secrets), property rights, impact on
scientific collaboration and candor, and accessibility of data and materials.
     
9.  Conceptual and philosophical questions raised by the Human Genome
Initiative, such as its implications for:  the concepts of personal identity
and responsibility, the problems of determinism and reductionism, and the
concepts of health and disease (particularly in view of the high rate of human
genetic variability and the large numbers of people who will be found to have
genetic vulnerabilities).
     
Most of these topics can best be addressed through scholarly research or
conferences.  Support for conferences will be limited to those that are highly
focussed and produce a specific product, such as recommendations or policy
options.  Research methods should be appropriate to the nature of the projects
proposed and the disciplines involved, but priority will be given to studies
that address normative problems of social policy, professional ethics, and
jurisprudence raised by the topics above.  Thus, projects that use the
interpretive methods traditional to humanities, law, and the social sciences
are particularly encouraged.  General surveys for purposes of information
gathering will not be supported at this time.  Until a plan for international
activities has been developed, priority will be given to projects that focus
on issues relevant to the U.S. population.
     
It is essential that applicants address the full range of views on each issue
they select to investigate in a responsible, scholarly, and balanced manner,
with the goal of advancing scholarship, achieving better understanding, or
working towards consensus or useful recommendations.  Collaborative projects

                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 13
between geneticists and ethicists, legal scholars, educators, or social
scientists are encouraged.
     
INDIVIDUAL POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS
     
An important aspect of the program is to train individuals who have the
knowledge and skills to address the research topics listed above in a
comprehensive and thorough manner.  For this reason, postdoctoral fellowships
will be provided to scientists trained in biomedical disciplines relevant to
the human genome project to receive training in ethics, law or other topics
that will enable these scientists to contribute to studies of the ethical,
legal or social implications of the genome project.  Conversely, individuals
with doctoral degrees in disciplines traditional to the humanities and the
social sciences can receive support for postdoctoral training in genomics
research in order to enhance their abilities to study problems related to the
Human Genome Initiative.  Support for fellowships will be provided through
National Research Service Awards.  The training to be supported must be
research-oriented training.  Studies leading to a professional degree will not
be eligible for funding under this mechanism.  Additional details about the
policies and procedures governing these postdoctoral fellowships can be found
in the NIH Guide to Grants and Contracts, Vol. 13, No. 1, January 6, l984.
Single copies are available from this office.
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
Support for this program will be through research grants (R01), conference
grants (R13), and individual postdoctoral fellowships (F32).
     
APPLICATION REVIEW
     
Applications received in response to this announcement will be reviewed by an
initial review group with appropriate expertise in ethics, law, medicine,
genetics, social science, and public education.  Criteria for evaluating the
applications will include:  potential for producing new knowledge or
understanding; potential impact of the proposed project to provide solutions
to critical issues; balance and breadth of approach; originality of the
project; potential of the proposed project in terms of scholarly or lay
audience reached; experience and expertise of the applicants; and relevance to
the Human Genome Initiative.
     
NCHGR is interested in attracting individuals with varied backgrounds to
consider studies in this area.  However, individuals must show that they
either have or will obtain a sound working knowledge of the underlying biology
so that relevance to the human genome program can be assured.  Applicants are
strongly urged to contact NIH staff to discuss their plans before submitting
an application.
     
Although there is no set-aside of funds for this area of research, the human
genome program is prepared to spend at least 3 percent of its resources
addressing these issues, provided a sufficient number of high quality
applications is received.
     
METHOD OF APPLYING
     
Applications should be submitted on the new form PHS 398 (Rev.  10/88).  The
conventional presentation for grant applications should be utilized (see
instructions in the application kit).  Application kits are available at most
institutional business offices and from:  Office of Grants Inquiries; Division
of Research Grants; Westwood Building, Room 449; National Institutes of
Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892.
     
Applications for research grants and conference grants will be accepted in
accordance with the usual NIH receipt dates for new applications -- October 1,
February 1, and June 1; funding decisions will be made approximately 9 months
after receipt of applications.  Applications for individual postdoctoral
fellowships will be accepted September 10, January 10, and May 10; funding
decisions will be made approximately 6 months after receipt of applications.
It is essential that applicants type, "Ethical, Legal and Social Implications
of the Human Genome Initiative," in item 2 on the face page of the application
form.  The original and six copies of the application should be submitted to:
     
Application Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland  20892**

     
                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 14
Applications that deal with a specific medical condition may be assigned to
the NIH Institute responsible for that condition with secondary assignment to
NCHGR.  Funding decisions will be based on recommendations of the initial
review group and a National Advisory Council regarding scientific merit and
program relevance, respectively, and on the availability of funds.
     
For additional information, please contact:
     
Bettie J. Graham, Ph.D.
Chief, Research Grants Branch
National Center for Human Genome Research
Building 38A, Room 613
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7531

**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS THE
CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.  APPLICANTS WHO
USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S
REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD
BUILDING IS:
     
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20816

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
                  Vol. 19, No. 4, January 26, 1990 - Page 15