Subject: (Copy) NIH Guide Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 90 07:58 EST

Good Morning Paul,
   Please post this to the listserver as NIHGUIDE.020290.  This is
the first of several coming to you this morning.
   Have a nice day.
                   Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
     
X-comment: NIH Guide (including TOC) contained 15 pages (1200 lines)
No RFAs present

     

     
Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990

                                   NOTICES

A GUIDE TO PRIORITY SCORES, PERCENTILES, AND PAYLINES ...(84/161)............ 1
Division of Research Grants
Index:  RESEARCH GRANTS

FLEXIBLE DURATION OF LENGTH OF SUPPORT FOR CLINICAL INVESTIGATOR
RESEARCH CAREER PROGRAM AWARDS ..........................(164/201)........... 2
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

RESEARCH PROGRAM TO MAXIMIZE THE EFFICACY OF PSYCHOTHERAPY AND DRUG
ABUSE COUNSELING STRATEGIES IN THE TREATMENT OF COCAINE ABUSERS
(RFA DA-90-01) ..........................................(207/325)........... 2
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Index:  DRUG ABUSE

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

CENTRAL TASTE PATHWAYS AND NEUROCHEMISTRY ...............(331/440)........... 4
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Index:  DEAFNESS, COMMUNICATION DISORDERS

ACADEMIC AWARD IN SYSTEMIC AND PULMONARY VASCULAR DISEASE ..(443/525)........ 5
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD

ALCOHOL RESEARCH GRANTS ....................................(528/708)........ 6
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Index:  ALCOHOL ABUSE, ALCOHOLISM

SCHOOL-BASED PREVENTION INTERVENTION RESEARCH ..............(711/910)........ 8
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Index:  DRUB ABUSE

SMALL GRANT PROGRAM ........................................(913/1044).......11
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Index:  DEAFNESS, COMMUNICATION DISORDERS

ACADEMIC RESEARCH ENHANCEMENT AWARD ........................(1047/1150)......13
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

                                   ERRATUM

AIDS COMMUNITY-BASED OUTREACH/INTERVENTION RESEARCH PROGRAM
(RFA DA-90-02) .............................................(1156/1181)......14
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Index:  DRUG ABUSE

     

     
     
                                   NOTICES

A GUIDE TO PRIORITY SCORES, PERCENTILES, AND PAYLINES
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1014006
     
Division of Research Grants
     
Most of the applications submitted to NIH receive their initial review for
scientific and technical merit by one of the chartered, regular study sections
in the Division of Research Grants.  Each application is discussed
individually, and the recommendation is determined by majority vote of the
members of the study section.  If the application is recommended for approval,
each member votes privately and individually a priority rating consistent with
their assessment of its merit:
     
 Outstanding     1.0 - 1.5      Adequate      3.0 - 3.5
 Excellent       1.5 - 2.0      Fair          3.5 - 4.0
 Good            2.0 - 2.5      Acceptable    4.0 - 5.0
 Satisfactory    2.5 - 3.0
     
The PRIORITY SCORE for an application is determined by averaging the
individual ratings and multiplying by 100.  Thus, the 3-digit priority scores
range from 100 (best) to 500 (poorest).
     
To deal with the diversity of rating behavior among study sections (easy vs.
hard graders) and because of priority score "creep" (an increasing proportion
of scores of 150 or better), a percentile rank is now calculated for each
score.  The PERCENTILE represents the relative position or rank of each
priority score among the scores assigned by that particular study section at
its last three meetings.  The lower the numerical value of the priority score
or percentile, the better the application.  For example, a percentile rank of
15.0 means that only 15 percent of the applications reviewed by that study
section during its last three meetings had an equal or better (numerically
lower) priority score.  Both the priority score and the percentile rank are
displayed on the summary statements forwarded to the funding unit (Institute,
Center, or Division) and the applicant.
     
The percentile rank of priority scores now serves as the primary index of
relative scientific merit when applications are being considered for funding.
Although the percentile rank is extremely important, the funding decisions of
an Institute, Center, or Division include other critically important factors,
e.g., relevance, program goals, portfolio balance, and available funds.
     
When a funding unit indicates a particular PERCENTILE PAYLINE, it means that,
in general, applications that have an equal or better percentile will be
funded.  It is important to note, however, that one CANNOT easily derive the
percent of approved applications to be awarded from the percentile payline.
     
The AWARD RATE is the proportion of applications RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL that
actually are awarded.  In 1989, the overall award rate for research projects
for all of the NIH components was 29.4 percent; this year, in fiscal year
1990, it is estimated that the overall NIH award rate will be approximately 24
percent.  The award rate for any specific component may vary, depending on its
appropriation.
     
The SUCCESS RATE is the proportion of REVIEWED applications that are actually
awarded.  In 1989, the overall success rate for research project applications
was 27.5 percent.
     
As a hypothetical example, let's say that the National Back Institute (NBI)
has a percentile payline of 18.0 and that among the many applications reviewed
by the Biology Study Section there had been six NBI applications.  If all six
of those applications had percentile ranks between 0 and 18, then all six
probably would be funded by the NBI.  If all six had percentile ranks
numerically greater than 18, then none would be funded.  If only two of the
six applications had percentiles between 0 and 18, and the other four had
ranks greater than 18, then only two would be funded.
     
If there are any questions, please write to:
     
Director
Division of Research Grants
Westwood Building, Room 450
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, Maryland  20892

            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 1
THIS NOTICE ALSO IS BEING PUBLISHED IN PEER REVIEW NOTES.

FLEXIBLE DURATION OF LENGTH OF SUPPORT FOR CLINICAL INVESTIGATOR RESEARCH
CAREER PROGRAM AWARDS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0785035, 0710030, 1014006
     
National Institutes of Health
     
The NIH is concerned that inadequate numbers of individuals with M.D.s or
other professional doctorates are able to maintain a successful research
career.  Data indicate a strong relationship between the length of
postdoctoral research training and subsequent success in receiving NIH
independent research support.  An analysis of professional postdoctoral
trainees who subsequently became NIH grant applicants and awardees showed that
the longer the period of training, the more likely an individual trainee is to
apply for and receive NIH research grant support.  These data indicate further
that, in most cases, the period of research training and experience leading to
independence extends for a period of up to five years.
     
Consistent with this overall five year development concept, NIH has offered
Research Career Program awards, specifically the Clinical Investigator and
Physician/Dental Scientist Awards, especially designed to provide research
career development sufficient for professional doctorates to compete for
independent NIH research support.  However, it is recognized that it may be
desirable to attain such independence through a combination of research
experiences, including, for example, support from a National Research Service
Award followed by a Clinical Investigator Award.  Individuals may not need
five more years for career development after completing two years in another
research training environment.  Therefore, flexibility in the duration of
these Research Career Program awards is desirable.
     
For Clinical Investigator Award applications received beginning with the June
1, 1990 receipt date, applicant organizations may propose a program of
development of 3, 4 or 5 years.  Applicants for Physician/Dental Scientist
awards who have previous research experience may propose a similarly
abbreviated program of development.  All applicants are advised to provide
sufficient information about relevant past research experience to assure
reviewers that the intended academic development could be accomplished within
the proposed time frame and would likely lead to future research success.

                     DATED ANNOUNCEMENTS (RFPs AND RFAs)

RESEARCH PROGRAM TO MAXIMIZE THE EFFICACY OF PSYCHOTHERAPY AND DRUG ABUSE
COUNSELING STRATEGIES IN THE TREATMENT OF COCAINE ABUSERS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  DA-90-01
     
P.T. 34, FF, II; K.W. 0404009, 0745060, 0770020, 0404000
     
National Institute on Drug Abuse
     
Application Receipt Date:  May 23, 1990
     
PURPOSE:  The purpose of this announcement is to support collaborative
multi-site research on the efficacy of psychodynamic psychotherapy,
cognitive-behavioral therapy, and drug counseling in the treatment of cocaine
abusers in outpatient drug-free settings.  The interaction of patient
characteristics with type of treatment also will be investigated.  Funds will
be available under this announcement to support:  (1) Collaborative Treatment
Sites (CTSs) to carry out the comparative trials, and (2) a Coordinating
Center (CC) to work with CTSs in the conduct of these trials.  Final protocols
will be developed collaboratively by a Steering Committee (SC) after awards
are made.
     
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES:  The primary research objectives are as follows:  (1) is
to conduct a comparative psychotherapy/drug counseling treatment efficacy
study, using a common protocol, at multiple CTSs in order to compare the
efficacy of different therapy approaches.  (2) To define the nature of any
interactions between patient characteristics (e.g., sociopathy) and success in
type of therapy.  (3) To support a CC to work with and support CTSs in the
conduction of these comparative trials.
     
INCLUSION OF WOMEN IN STUDY POPULATIONS:  Applicants are urged to consider the
inclusion of women in the study populations for all clinical research efforts.
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 2
Exceptions would be studies of diseases which exclusively affect males or
where involvement of pregnant women may expose the fetus to undue risks.
Gender differences should be noted and evaluated.  If women are not to be
included, a clear rationale should be provided for their exclusion.
     
In order to provide more precise information to the treatment community, it is
recommended that publications resulting from ADAMHA-supported research in
which the study population was limited to one sex for any reason other than
that the disease or condition studied exclusively affects that sex, should
state, in the abstract summary, the gender of the population studied, e.g.,
"male patients," "male volunteers," "female patients," "female volunteers."
     
INCLUSION OF MINORITIES IN STUDY POPULATIONS:  Applicants are urged to give
added attention where feasible and appropriate to the inclusion of minorities
in study populations for research into the etiology of diseases, research in
behavioral and social sciences, clinical studies of treatment and treatment
outcomes, research on the dynamics of health care and its impact on disease,
and appropriate interventions for disease prevention and health promotion.  If
minorities are not included in a given study, a clear rationale for their
exclusion should be provided.
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT:  The mechanism to support these clinical trials will be
a Cooperative Agreement between the awardee and NIDA.  Researchers agree to
accept close coordination and guidance by the SC in all aspects of the
scientific and technical management of the common project, and retain primary
responsibility for performance of the research, in accordance with terms
formally negotiated and mutually agreed on prior to the award.  Cooperative
agreements are subject to the same administrative requirements as grants.  All
pertinent DHHS, PHS, and ADAMHA grant regulations, policies, and procedures
apply.  Business management aspects of these awards will be administered in
accordance with DHHS and PHS grant administrative requirements.
     
$2 million in first-year funds is available to support one coordinating center
and 4-6 collaborative treatment sites.
     
REVIEW PROCEDURES:  The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central
point for receipt of applications.  Applications received under this
announcement will be assigned to a Special Review Committee (SRC) in
accordance with established PHS Referral Guidelines.  The SRC will review the
applications for scientific and technical merit during the summer of 1990.
Notification of the SRC's recommendations will be sent to the applicant after
this initial review.  Applications will receive a second-level review by the
National Advisory Council on Drug Abuse in September 1990.  Only applications
recommended for approval by the Council may be considered for funding.
Applications submitted in response to this announcement are not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372, as implemented
through Department of Health and Human Service regulations at 45 CFR Part 100
and are not subject to Health Systems Agency review.
     
APPLICATION PROCEDURES:  Applicants must use the research grant application
form, PHS 398 (revised 10/88).  When applying, type on face page in item 2 of
PHS 398, the name and number of this RFA followed by:  Collaborative Treatment
Site if the application is for a CTS.  Type the name and number of this
cooperative agreement announcement followed by Coordinating Center if the
application is for a CC.  If applying for both, two separate applications must
be submitted.  Application kits with the necessary forms and instructions (PHS
398) may be obtained from institutional business offices or offices of
sponsored research of most universities, colleges and medical schools, and
other major research facilities.  Applications may also be obtained from:  The
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), Grants Management Branch, Room 8A-54,
Parklawn Building, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20857 (301- 443-6710).
     
The original and four (4) copies of applications must be submitted to:
     
Division of Research Grants, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland  20892**
     
Two copies of the application should be sent to:
     
Acting Director, OEPR
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 10-42
Rockville, Maryland  20857
     
INQUIRES:  Further information can be obtained from:

     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 3
Dr. L. Onken
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 10A-30
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4060

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

CENTRAL TASTE PATHWAYS AND NEUROCHEMISTRY
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0705070, 0710085, 1003002, 1002004, 0710100, 0710030
     
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
     
PURPOSE
     
The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD)
encourages submission of applications that utilize the tools, methods, and
approaches of contemporary neurobiology to characterize the morphology,
neurochemistry, and functional properties of central taste pathways.  Of
particular interest are multidisciplinary studies of pathways and
neurotransmitters relevant to structure-function relations.  The NIDCD wishes
to support investigators at all stages of their careers, to foster a broad
spectrum of research relevant to this announcement , and to encourage
collaboration between investigators in and outside the field of taste and
among those in various disciplines, including anatomy, biochemistry,
biophysics, cell biology, neurophysiology, pharmacology, and psychophysics.
     
BACKGROUND
     
The organization of central taste pathways and associated neurotransmitters
has been identified as a priority area of research by a NIDCD task force
(National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders.  A report
of the Task Force on the National Strategic Research Plan, April 1989).
Characterization of these pathways is far from complete.  For example, the
morphology, biophysics, and neurotransmitter properties of neuron types in the
gustatory portion of the solitary nucleus have not been characterized in
detail.  This contrasts with more extensive knowledge about caudal regions of
the solitary nucleus associated with the cardiovascular and respiratory
systems, and with the refined analysis of subsets of neurons in central
structures associated with other sensory systems.  Whereas little is known
about the gustatory neurotransmitters, pharmacological techniques are being
utilized in the microdissection of the circuits of the auditory and visual
systems.  Opportunities exist to fill the gaps in knowledge of taste pathways
with application of neurobiological techniques, including Golgi impregnation,
intracellular and fluorescent markers, immunocytochemical probes, brain slice
preparations, organ and tissue cultures, and other techniques that have led to
advances in knowledge of the senses.
     
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
     
The research is to characterize the morphology, neurochemistry, and functional
properties of central pathways with the ultimate goal of applications for
effective diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of taste disorders and medical
conditions associated with these disorders.  Research opportunities include
those that:
     
  o  Describe central projection circuits for taste buds in various
     oral-pharyngeal locations.
     
  o  Further define morphological, biophysical, and functional neuron
     types in taste pathways.
     
  o  Identify the neurotransmitters and neuromodulators.
     
  o  Characterize neurotransmitter release, reuptake, and inactivation.
     
  o  Further examine species differences in central pathways.
     
  o  Investigate morphological and functional changes in central
     circuits associated with early development, aging, and alterations
     in peripheral nerve input, including deafferentation.
     
The list of topics above is not complete; investigators are encouraged to
study those or other topics that meet the objectives of this announcement.

            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 4
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
Support mechanisms include the individual research project grant (RO1), First
Independent Research Support and Transition Award (R29), Research Career
Development Award (KO4), Clinical Investigator Development Award (KO8),
Individual National Research Service Award (F32), and Senior Fellowship
National Research Service Award (F33).  The NIH policies that govern the
programs will prevail.  Funding is contingent upon receipt of proposals of
high scientific merit, responsiveness to this announcement, relevance to the
program, and availability of appropriated funds.
     
APPLICATION SUBMISSION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
     
Application forms and kits are available from the business office or office of
sponsored research of most institutions, or from the Division of Research
Grants, National Institutes of Health.  The application form PHS 398 (rev.
10/88) should be used to submit an application.  Type "Central Taste Pathways
and Neurochemistry" in item #2 of the application face page; check "YES".
     
Use the mailing label in the kits to mail the applications to the Division of
Research Grants.  Submit applications in accord with the receipt dates
identified in the application kits.  Applications will be reviewed as
specified in the schedules of the application kits.  Investigators should
direct questions regarding this announcement to:
     
Jack Pearl, Ph.D.
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 1C-14
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5061
     
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic
Assistance No. 13.173, Biological Research related to Deafness
and Communicative Disorders.  Awards will be made under the
authority of the Public Health Service Act, Title IV, Section
301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241) and administered
under PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52
and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to Health
Systems Agency Review.

ACADEMIC AWARD IN SYSTEMIC AND PULMONARY VASCULAR DISEASE
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0705015, 0705065, 0715165, 0715135, 0715115
     
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
     
Application Receipt Date:  October 22, 1990
     
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) announces the
availability of an Academic Award in Systemic and Pulmonary Vascular Disease.
Copies of the Program Guidelines are currently available from staff of the
NHLBI.
     
The objectives of this award are to:
     
  1. stimulate the development and coordination of the clinical,
     educational, and research programs in schools of medicine or
     osteopathy directed toward enhancement of diagnostic and
     therapeutic skills in the clinical management of patients with a
     wide variety of vascular diseases;
     
  2. promote professional development of the awardee so that he/she can
     serve as the focal point for multidisciplinary interactions
     promoting effectiveness in clinical care, teaching, and research in
     the field of vascular medicine; and
     
  3. enable the grantee institution to continue clinical, educational,
     and research programs in vascular medicine once the Award is
     concluded.
     
For the purposes of this Award, vascular medicine is defined as the clinical
discipline that has as its objectives:  the clinical characterization of all
vascular diseases (arterial, venous, lymph, cerebral, coronary, pulmonary,
aortic, renal, and peripheral), the pathogenesis of these diseases (including
atherosclerosis, lipid metabolic disorders, systemic and pulmonary
hypertension, lymphedema, thrombosis, vasculitis, and vasospastic disorders),
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 5
as well as the diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventive approaches to these
diseases.
     
Each school of medicine or osteopathy in the United States and its possessions
or territories is eligible to compete for a nonrenewable Academic Award in
Systemic and Pulmonary Vascular Disease for a project period that does not
exceed five years.  The Awardee must hold an M.D. or D.O. degree or their
equivalent.  Applications from women and minority applicants are encouraged.
Only one application per institution will be accepted for review for a given
receipt date.  The number of new awards made each year will depend on the
availability of funds.
     
Copies of the Program Guidelines can be obtained from:
     
Carol H. Letendre, Ph.D.
Associate Director for Scientific Programs
Division of Blood Diseases and Resources
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 516
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8966
     
David M. Robinson, Ph.D.
Associate Director for Scientific Programs
Division of Heart and Vascular Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 416
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5656
     
Carol Vreim, Ph.D.
Associate Director for Scientific Programs
Division of Lung Diseases
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Westwood Building, Room 6A16
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7208
     
The programs of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute are identified
in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance, Number 13.837, 13.838, and
13.839.  Awards will be made under the authority of the Public Health Service
Act, Section 301 (42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grant policies and
Federal regulations, most specifically 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.
This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of
Executive Order 12372 or to review by a Health Systems Agency.

ALCOHOL RESEARCH GRANTS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404003, 1003002, 1002034, 0414011, 0411005, 0745027
     
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
     
PURPOSE
     
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) makes grant
awards for basic and applied alcohol research projects.  Grant support is
available to develop new knowledge in a wide range of areas relevant to
alcohol abuse and alcoholism:  studies of the biochemical, physiologic, and
behavioral mechanisms leading to pathologic drinking behavior; studies of
alcohol-induced organ damage; and studies of clinical, behavioral, and
environmental factors that will lead to more effective diagnosis, prevention,
and treatment techniques.  Applications are encouraged for projects focused on
the development and validation of new and improved treatment and intervention
approaches, the reduction of alcohol-related deaths and trauma, and the
prevention of alcohol-related problems and alcoholism.
     
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
     
NIAAA provides leadership in the national effort to reduce alcoholism and
alcohol-related problems.  The long-range goal of the research program is to
develop new knowledge that will facilitate the achievement of two broad
objectives:  (1) reduction of the incidence and prevalence of alcohol abuse
and alcoholism; and (2) reduction of the morbidity and mortality associated
with alcohol abuse and alcoholism.
     
NIAAA supports basic and applied research on the mechanisms of action of
alcohol on biobehavioral processes and the effect of alcohol on the mind and
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 6
body.  NIAAA invites applications for research grants on biomedical,
behavioral, clinical, sociocultural, and epidemiological factors associated
with the use or abuse of alcohol, the prevention and treatment of
alcohol-related problems, and the consequences of these problems.  Areas of
research interest include the following general categories:  Genetics and
Molecular Biology; Biochemistry and Metabolism; Neuroscience; Incidence and
Prevalence; Treatment; Alcohol and Pregnancy; Alcohol-Related Medical
Disorders; Safety and Trauma; Behavioral and Environmental Antecedents; and
Prevention.
     
Special attention should be paid to the need for projects which focus on
alcohol-related problems of women, infants, adolescents and youth, the
elderly, and minority ethnic groups.
     
MECHANISMS OF RESEARCH SUPPORT
     
Research support mechanisms include:  research project grants (R01), small
grants (R03), conference grants (R13), Developmental Grants for
Alcoholism Treatment Assessment Research (R21), First Independent Research Suppo
and Transition (FIRST) awards (R29), and program project grants (P01).
     
A list of all NIAAA program announcements and copies of specific program
announcements are available by writing to the National Clearinghouse for
Alcohol and Drug Information (NCADI), P.O. Box 2345, Rockville, Maryland 20852
or by calling 301-468-2600.
     
This announcement revises and supersedes the previous general announcement and
guidelines for Alcohol Research Grants (January 1987), and incorporates
announcements AA-87-02, Biological Markers of Alcohol Consumption; AA-86-04,
Genetics Research on Alcoholism; and AA-86-06, Imaging Technology in Alcohol
Research.  This announcement also replaces announcements for research grants
on the Biological Determinants of Alcohol Consumption (February 1987) and
Alcohol and Endocrinological Development in Adolescents (November 1987).
     
ELIGIBILITY
     
Applications for research grants may be submitted by any public or private
non-profit or for-profit institutions, such as universities, college,
hospitals, laboratories, units of State and local government, and eligible
agencies of the Federal Government.  Women and minority investigators are
encouraged to apply.
     
APPLICATION PROCESS
     
Applicants should use the grant application form PHS 398 (Rev.  10/88).  The
title of this announcement, "Alcohol Research Grants," should be typed in item
number 2 on the face page of the PHS 398 application form.  Normal application
receipt dates for research grants apply.
     
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may be
obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at most
universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major research facilities.
If such a source is not available, the following office may be contacted for
the necessary application material:
     
National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
P.O. Box 2345
Rockville, Maryland  20852
Telephone:  (301) 468-2600
     
The signed original and six permanent, legible copies of the completed
application should be sent to:
     
Division of Research Grants, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland  20892**
     
REVIEW PROCESS
     
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for receipt of
applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.  Applications received
under this announcement will be assigned to an Initial Review Group (IRG) in
accordance with established PHS Referral Guidelines.  The IRGs, consisting
primarily of non-Federal scientific and technical experts, will review the
applications for scientific and technical merit.  Notification of the review
recommendations will be sent to the applicant after the initial review.
Applications will receive a second-level review by an appropriate National
Advisory Council whose review may be based on policy considerations as well as
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 7
scientific merit.  Only applications recommended for approval by the Council
will be considered for funding.
     
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance, No.
13.273.  Grants will be awarded under the authority of Sections 301 and 510 of
the Public Health Service Act, as amended (42 USC 241 and 290bb) and
administered in accordance with the PHS Grants Policy Statement and Federal
Regulations at 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.
     
This program is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of
Executive Order 12372 or Health Systems Agency review.
     
REVIEW CRITERIA
     
Criteria for scientific/technical merit review of applications will include
the following:
     
  o  the significance and originality from a scientific or technical
     standpoint of the goals of the proposed research;
     
  o  the adequacy of the methodology proposed to carry out the research,
     including adequacy of experimental design for collection and
     analysis of data, research schematics, detailed analysis plans, and
     proposed instrumentations;
     
  o  the qualifications and research experience of the principal
     investigator and other key research personnel;
     
  o  the availability of adequate facilities, other resources, and
     collaborative arrangements necessary for the research;
     
  o  the appropriateness of budget estimates for the proposed research
     activities; and
     
  o  the adequacy of provisions for the protection of human subjects and
     the welfare of animal subjects, as applicable.
     
AWARD CRITERIA AND AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
     
Applications recommended for approval by a National Advisory Council will be
considered for funding on the basis of overall scientific and technical merit
of the proposed research as determined by peer review, program needs and
balance, and the availability of funds.
     
In Fiscal Year 1990, approximately $29 million will be available to support
approximately 170 new and competing continuation (i.e., renewal) grants under
this announcement.  The expected average amount of an award is approximately
$170,000.  However, the amount of funding available will depend on
appropriated funds and program priorities at the time of award.
     
CONSULTATION AND FURTHER INFORMATION
     
Potential applicants may obtain further information and consultation on
program requirements by contacting the following NIAAA program staff at 5600
Fishers Lane, Rockville, Maryland 20857:
     
Director, Division of Basic Research
Room 14C-10
Telephone:  (301) 443-2530
     
Director, Division of Clinical and Prevention Research
Room 16C-10
Telephone:  (301) 443-1206
     
Chief, Epidemiology Branch
Division of Biometry and Epidemiology
Room 14C-26
Telephone:  (301) 443-4897

SCHOOL-BASED PREVENTION INTERVENTION RESEARCH
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404009, 0745027, 0404000, 0725000, 0403004, 0795005
     
National Institute on Drug Abuse

     
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 8
Purpose
     
The purpose of this announcement is to encourage the scientific study of drug
abuse prevention strategies that are based in the school environment to
determine their efficacy in preventing the initiation of drug use and
dependent patterns of drug use.  Two major types of research are included
under this announcement:  innovative, theory-based, school-based programs;
and, the evaluation of existing school-based programs that have been well
established within schools for a number of years.  Research must include both
process and controlled outcome studies and must examine the relationship
between process and outcome.  Where possible, impact measures should be
included.  Process studies examine the extent to which the program has been
implemented as designed.  Outcome studies assess the extent to which the
programs have achieved their desired effects.  These studies should focus not
only on drug use behaviors but also on those behavioral, attitudinal,
cognitive, and environmental factors that are to be manipulated by the
intervention.  Finally, impact studies analyze the extent to which the
programs have altered drug use practices at the school, neighborhood or
community level.  Follow-up analyses should emphasize the relationship between
the manipulated factors and drug usage patterns.
     
Research Objectives
     
The goal of this announcement is to invite applications from researchers to
study the efficacy and effectiveness of school-based interventions.  Research
should examine one or more of the following domains:  cognitive,
affective/interpersonal, behavioral, environmental, and therapeutic.  Research
ultimately should address the questions:  What is the validity of the
theoretical basis of the intervention?  Does the intervention achieve the the
desired effects?  To what extent are these effects achieved?  For whom is the
intervention most effective?  What process factors are associated with
positive outcomes?
     
Although short-term studies have indicated both positive and negative results
of these strategies, long-term studies need to be carried out, particularly of
exposed children who may be most vulnerable to drug use and of exposed
children for whom the program had the most impact.  Few existing studies have
examined the relationship between process and outcome.  Finally, the effect of
these strategies in combination with other strategies has not been assessed.
     
Therefore, research studies are sought that examine the relationship between
these intervention strategies and drug-using behaviors with special emphasis
on delineating the effects of the interventions on cognitive, behavioral,
affective/interpersonal, environmental, and/or therapeutic factors and
drug-using behaviors.  A variety of techniques should be employed to realize
the aims of these intervention approaches, including peer group discussions,
special classroom activities, dissemination of policy guidelines, special
parent and community organizations, and other individual and group
counselling.  Both the intensity and methods of these interventions need to be
evaluated with respect to immediate effectiveness in intervening factors
(cognitive, behavioral, affective/interpersonal, environmental and
therapeutic) and to long-term drug-using behaviors.
     
Mechanism of Support
     
The mechanism of support for this announcement will be the regular research
grant (R01) and FIRST Awards (R29).
     
Inclusion of Minorities in Study Populations
     
Applicants are urged to give added attention where feasible and appropriate to
the inclusion of minorities in study populations for research into the
etiology of diseases, research in behavioral and social sciences, clinical
studies of treatment and treatment outcomes, research on the dynamics of
health care and its impact on disease, and appropriate interventions for
disease prevention and health promotion.  If minorities are not included in a
given study, a clear rationale for their exclusion should be provided.
     
Inclusion of Females In Study Populations
     
Applicants are urged to consider the inclusion of females in the study
populations for all clinical research efforts that except for studies of
diseases that affect males exclusively or where involvement of pregnant women
may expose the fetus to undue risks.  Gender differences should be noted and
evaluated.  If females are not to be included, a clear rationale should be
provided for their exclusion.

     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 9
In order to provide more precise information to the research and practitioner
community, it is recommended that publications resulting from ADAMHA-sponsored
research in which the study population was limited to one sex for any reason
other than that the disease or condition studied exclusively affects that sex,
should state, in the abstract summary, the gender of the population studied,
e.g., "male subjects," "female subjects."
     
Review Procedures
     
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for receipt of
applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.  Applications received
under this announcement will be assigned to an initial review group (IRG) in
accordance with established Public Health Service Referral Guidelines.  The
IRG, consisting primarily of non-federal scientific and technical experts,
will review the applications for scientific and technical merit.  Notification
of the review recommendations will be sent to the applicant after the initial
review.  Applications will receive a second-level review by the appropriate
National Advisory Council whose review may be based on policy as well as
scientific merit considerations.  Only applications recommended for approval
by the Council may be considered for funding.
     
Application Process
     
Applicants should use the research grant application form PHS 398 (rev.
10/88).  The title of this announcement, "School-based Prevention Intervention
Research", should be typed in item number 2 of the face page of the PHS 398
application form.
     
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may be
obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at most
universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major research facilities.
If such a source is not available, the following office may be contacted for
the necessary application material:
     
Grants Management Branch
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 8A54
Rockville, Maryland 20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6710
     
The signed original and six (6) permanent legible copies of the completed
application should be sent to:
     
Division of Research Grants, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, Maryland 20892**
     
Applications submitted in response to this announcement are not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372, as implemented
through Department of Health and Human Services regulations at 45 CFR part
100.
     
Receipt and Review Schedule
     
The earliest receipt date for application under this announcement is April 9,
1990.  For the first year only, the initial receipt date and review schedule
will be as follows:
     
Receipt       Initial   Advisory Council  Earliest
 Date          Review       Review         Start
                                           Date
     
Apr. 9, 1990  June/July   Sept. 1990     Sept. 1990
     
Thereafter, the following application receipt dates and review schedule will
apply.
     
Receipt Dates   Initial   Advisory Council Earliest
New/Renewal     Review       Review        Start Date
     
June 1/July 1*  Oct./Nov.   Jan./Feb.       Apr. 1
Oct. 1/Nov.1*   Feb./Mar.   May/June        July 1
Feb. 1/Mar.1*   May/June    Sept./Oct.      Dec. 1
     
* Amended applications (new or renewal) are to be submitted on these dates.
     
Applications received after a receipt date are subject to assignment to the
next review cycle or may be returned to the applicant.
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 10
Review Criteria
     
Criteria for scientific/technical merit review of applications include the
following:  significance and originality from a scientific or technical
standpoint of the goals of the proposed research; adequacy of the research
methodology proposed to carry out the study; feasibility of the proposed
research; qualifications and research experience of the principal investigator
and other key research personnel; availability of adequate facilities, other
resources, and collabortive arrangements necessary for the research;
appropriateness of budget estimates for the proposed research activities; and
adequacy of provisions for the protection of human subjects.
     
Award Criteria
     
Applications recommended for approval by the appropriate National Advisory
Council will be considered for funding on the basis of overall scientific and
technical merit of the research as determined by peer review, Institute
program needs and balance, and availability of funds.
     
Further Information
     
Further information and consultation on program requirements relevant to
prevention research can be obtained from:
     
Dr. Zili Amsel
Chief, Prevention Research Branch
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 10A20
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-1514

SMALL GRANT PROGRAM
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715050, 0715055, 0410001, 0785055
     
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
     
PURPOSE
     
The Small Grant Program (R03) of the National Institute on Deafness and Other
Communication Disorders (NIDCD) is intended to provide support for meritorious
research on disorders of hearing, balance, speech, voice, language, and the
chemical senses.  The support is for pilot or especially innovative/high-risk
research to determine the feasibility of a subsequent research project.  For
example, the pilot research may involve development or tests of new techniques
or a small basic, clinical, or epidemiological research project.
     
ELIGIBILITY
     
The program is designed primarily to support investigators changing areas of
research, especially those coming into communication disorders research for
the first time from another area, and clinicians with limited research
experience.  Participation in the program by investigators at minority
institutions is encouraged.
     
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE AWARD
     
Small grant funds may not be used to supplement projects currently supported
by Federal or non-Federal funds, nor to provide interim support for projects
under review by the Public Health Service, nor to support thesis or
dissertation research.
     
Applicants may request up to $25,000 (direct costs) per year for up to two
years.  The grant is not renewable.  Investigators are encouraged to seek
continuing support for any promising research by means of an Individual
Research Project Grant (RO1) or a First Independent Research Support and
Transition Award (R29).
     
APPLICATION SUBMISSION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
     
The submission, review, and award schedule for the applications is:

     

     
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 11
Receipt Dates      Institute Committee      Council         Earliest Funding
                        Review               Review
     
September 21        Oct.-Nov.                Jan.-Feb.      March
January 21          Feb.-March               May            June
May 21              June                     Sept.-Oct.     December
     
An NIDCD review committee will evaluate each Small Grant application with
respect to these criteria:  significance and scientific merit of the proposed
project; its characterization as a promising or pilot project with the
potential for more extended research; investigator's potential for carrying
out the project; adequacy of the investigator's time commitment; adequacy of
the facilities; and the justifications for budget requests.  All applications
will subsequently be reviewed by the National Deafness and Other Communication
Disorders Advisory Council.  Policies that govern grant programs of the NIH
will prevail.  The award of grants is contingent on receipt of proposals of
high scientific merit; responsiveness to this announcement, including the
eligibility of investigators; relevance to the program; and the availability
of appropriated funds.
     
When human subjects are to be included within investigations responsive to
this announcement, inclusion of underrepresented minorities, women, and
individuals with disabilities is encouraged.  If they are excluded, a clear
rationale for their exclusion must be provided.
     
Use the standard research grant application forms, PHS 398 (rev.  10/88).
Application kits are available from the business offices or the offices of
sponsored research of most institutions or from the Division of Research
Grants, National Institutes of Health.  Follow the instructions in the kits
with these modifications:
     
Grant Application (follows page 23)
     
Face page.  Item 2.  Type "Small Grant Program NIDCD".  Check the "YES" box.
     
Page 5.  Justification.  Strongly and specifically justify the need for all
proposed expenditures.  Salary for the principal investigator will be allowed
only with the strongest justifications.
     
Section 2
     
Introduction.  Use an introduction for a Revised application only.  Do not
exceed one-half page.
     
Specific Aims and Significance.  Do not exceed one-half page.
     
Progress Report/Preliminary Studies.  If submitting preliminary results, do
not exceed one-half page.
     
Methods.  Do not exceed three pages.
     
Consortium Arrangements.  Do not exceed one-half page.
     
Section 3
     
Appendix.  Applicants are encouraged not to submit appendix material.
     
Use the mailing label in the application kit to mail the original and four
copies of the application to the Division of Resarch Grants.  To expedite the
review, send one copy of the application to:
     
Marilyn Semmes, Ph.D.
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 9C-14
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
(301) 496-9223
     
In the event of questions, investigators are encouraged to call or write:
     
Jack Pearl, Ph.D.
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
National Institutes of Health
Federal Building, Room 1C-14
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5061

            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 12
Awards will be made under the authority of the Public Health Service Act,
Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended; 42 USC 241) and administered under
PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.
The program is not subject to Executive Order 12372.

ACADEMIC RESEARCH ENHANCEMENT AWARD
     
P.T. 14; K.W. 0720005, 0710030, 1014006
     
National Institutes of Health
     
Application Receipt Date:  June 22, 1990
     
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is making a special effort to
stimulate research in educational institutions which provide baccalaureate
training for a significant number of our nation's research scientists but
which historically have not been major recipients of NIH support.  Since
Fiscal Year (FY) 1985, Congressional appropriations for the NIH have included
funds for this initiative, which NIH has implemented through the Academic
Research Enhancement Award (AREA) Program.
     
This award is designed to enhance the research environment of educational
institutions that have not been traditional recipients of NIH research funds.
The AREA funds are intended to support new research projects or expand ongoing
research activities proposed by faculty members of these institutions in areas
related to the health sciences.  Applications for FY 1990 AREA grants are
currently undergoing review for scientific merit.  Since it is anticipated
that funds will be available next year, the NIH is inviting grant applications
for the FY 1991 competition for AREA grants.
     
Eligibility requirements of the AREA Program include the following:
     
Applicant Institutions
     
  o  All domestic institutions offering baccalaureate or advanced
     degrees in the sciences related to health are eligible, except
     those that have received an NIH Biomedical Research Support Grant
     (BRSG) of $20,000 or more per year for four or more years during
     the period from FY 1983 through FY 1989.
     
  o  Health professional schools (e.g., schools of medicine, dentistry,
     nursing, osteopathy, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, public health,
     allied health and optometry) as well as organizationally discrete
     campuses of a university system, are eligible if they meet the
     above criterion.
     
  o  Multiple applications proposing different research projects may be
     submitted by an applicant institution.
     
Applicant Principal Investigators
     
  o  Must not have active research grant support (including an AREA)
     from either NIH or the Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health
     Administration (ADAMHA) at the applicant institution at the time of
     award of an AREA grant.
     
  o  May not submit a regular NIH or ADAMHA research grant application
     for essentially the same project as a pending AREA application.
     
  o  Are expected to conduct the majority of their research at their own
     institution, although limited access to special facilities or
     equipment at another institution is permitted.
     
  o  May not be awarded more than one AREA grant at a time nor be
     awarded a second AREA grant to continue the research initiated
     under the first AREA grant.
     
Those in doubt about eligibility should consult their institution's Office of
Sponsored Research or the Director, Special Programs and Initiatives (Building
31, Room 5B44, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, telephone (301) 496-1968).
     
Funding decisions will be based on the proposed research project's scientific
merit and relevance to NIH programs and the institutions contribution to the
undergraduate preparation of doctoral-level health professionals.  Among
projects of essentially equivalent scientific merit and program relevance,
preference will be given to those submitted by institutions that have granted
baccalaureate degrees to 25 or more individuals who, during the period
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 13
1979-1989, obtained academic or professional doctoral degrees in the health
related sciences.
     
AREAs are awarded on a competitive basis.  Applicants may request support for
up to a total of $75,000 for direct costs (plus applicable indirect costs) for
a period not to exceed 36 months (maximum request $35,000 for a single year).
Although this award is non-renewable, it will enable qualified individual
scientists within the eligible institutions to receive support for feasibility
studies, pilot studies and other small-scale research projects preparatory to
seeking more substantial funding from the regular NIH research grant programs.
     
Applications for this award will be accepted under the regular application
submission procedures of the Division of Research Grants (DRG) of NIH.  Grant
applications must be prepared and submitted on Form PHS 398 (Rev.  10/88,
Reprinted 9/89).  Applicants must obtain the abbreviated format and simplified
instructions from the Office of Grants Inquiries (see address below).  These
instructions must be followed in preparing an application.  The receipt date
is June 22, 1990.
     
Those individuals and institutions meeting eligibility requirements and
wishing to receive further information and/or application materials should
write to:
     
AREA
Office of Grants Inquiries
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 449
Bethesda, Maryland  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7441

                                   ERRATUM

AIDS COMMUNITY-BASED OUTREACH/INTERVENTION RESEARCH PROGRAM
     
RFA:  DA-90-02
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715008, 0403004
     
National Institute on Drug Abuse
     
Revised Receipt Date:  March 19, 1990
     
On Friday, January 12, 1990, the above mentioned Request for Cooperative
Agreement was announced in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts, Vol. 19,
No. 2.  The receipt date announced has been changed.  The NEW RECEIPT DATE FOR
THIS COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT PROGRAM IS MARCH 19, 1990.
     
All other aspects of the announcement remain the same.
     
To obtain a copy of the announcement, contact the following office, identify
the announcement by the name and number above.
     
Grants Management Branch
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Parklawn Building, Room 8A-54
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, Maryland  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6710

**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS THE
CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.  APPLICANTS WHO
USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S
REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD
BUILDING IS:
     
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20816

     

     
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 4, February 2, 1990 - Page 14