Subject: (Copy) NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 08:09 EST

Paul,
Please post to the listserver as: NIHGUIDE.022390
  Thanks.
         Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
     
X-comment: NIH Guide (including TOC) contained 14 pages (1120 lines)
X-comment: RFAs described:  90-CA-10, 90-DKHD-10

     

     
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990

                                   NOTICES

NOTICE OF MEETING .......................................(84/117)............ 1
Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research
Index:  PUBLIC RESPONSIBILITY IN MEDICINE AND RESEARCH

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

HUMAN T-CELL LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUSES IN HUMAN NEOPLASIA (RFA 90-CA-10) ......... 1
National Cancer Institute                             (123/254, 1124/1449)
Index:  CANCER

RESEARCH TRAINING AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARDS IN NUTRITION
(RFA 90-DKHD-10) .....................................(257/310, 1452/1663)... 3
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES, CHILD HEALTH,
        HUMAN DEVELOPMENT

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

RESEARCH ON WORKSITE-RELATED ALCOHOL PROBLEMS:  CAUSATIVE PROCESSES,
PRIMARY AND SECONDARY PREVENTION .....................(324/578).............. 4
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Index:  ALCOHOL ABUSE, ALCOHOLISM

RESEARCH ON THE PREVENTION OF ALCOHOL ABUSE IN THE OLDER POPULATION ......... 7
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism    (581/782)
Index:  ALCOHOL ABUSE, ALCOHOLISM

ACADEMIC AWARD IN ENVIRONMENTAL/OCCUPATIONAL MEDICINE .....(785/845)......... 9
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Index:  ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCES

RESEARCH ON PROMISING PHARMACOTHERAPIES FOR ALCOHOLISM ....(848/1050)........10
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Index:  ALCOHOL ABUSE AND ALCOHOLISM

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
     
                                   NOTICES

NOTICE OF MEETING
     
P.T. 42; K.W. 1014004, 1014006, 0201011
     
Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research
     
On March 19-20, 1990, at the Park Plaza Hotel in Boston, Massachusetts, Public
Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R) and the Tufts University
School of Veterinary Medicine will host a conference entitled "The New USDA
Regulations and How They Affect Animal Care, Animal Research, and IACUC
Operation."  The meeting will focus on the new USDA regulations, on other
developments in the fields of animal care and research, and on the operation
of Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees (IACUCs).  It will include
panel presentations, as well as an extensive series of basic workshops or
discussion groups covering the administration of IACUCs, the review process,
risk-benefit analysis when reviewing animal research, institutional
policy-making, and a range of other problems faced by those involved with
and/or interested in animal care and research.
     
PRIM&R has set aside a limited number of scholarships for those persons
demonstrating need and a limited number of spaces have also been reserved for
the press.  For a complete program and further information, contact:
     
Ms. Joan Rachlin
Executive Director
     
or
     
Ms. Robyn Carey
Assistant Director
PRIM&R
132 Boylston Street
Boston, MA  02116
Telephone:  (617) 423-4112 or 423-1099

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

HUMAN T-CELL LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUSES IN HUMAN NEOPLASIA
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  90-CA-10
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 1002045, 0785140, 0755030, 0765033, 1002058, 0755020
     
National Cancer Institute
     
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  June 4, 1990
Application Receipt Date:  August 3, 1990
     
INTRODUCTION
     
The human T-cell lymphotropic virus-1 (HTLV-1), is recognized as the
etiological agent of human adult T-cell leukemias/lymphomas.  Studies of
Japanese patients infected with HTLV-1 have shown that the virus can cause
immunosuppression.  More recent studies, using sensitive serologic and
molecular probes, and virus isolation techniques, suggest the presence and
etiologic association of a HTLV-like virus(es) in human diseases with central
nervous system involvement, such as tropical spastic paraparesis (TSP) and
HTLV-associated myelopathy (HAM).  Studies using antibody detection methods to
assess the etiologic involvement of HTLV-1 in multiple sclerosis (MS) have
given equivocal results.  However, in recent preliminary studies employing the
highly sensitive polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technique, a significant
proportion of patients with MS has been found to contain one or more specific
nucleic acid sequences within the pol, gag or env genes of HTLV-1.
     
NCI recently held a workshop that explored the current state of knowledge on
the presence and possible etiologic association of HTLV-1-like retroviruses
and/or retroviral elements in human diseases such as TSP and MS, and the
possible, as yet undefined, association of these viruses in human neoplasia.
The workshop participants concluded that additional studies were needed in
specific areas discussed below.
     
The present Request for Applications (RFA) is for a single competition with a
deadline of August 3, 1990, for receipt of applications and June 4, 1990, for
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 1
receipt of letters of intent.  Applications should be prepared and submitted
in accordance with the aims and requirements described in the complete RFA
document which may be obtained from the program director listed in INQUIRIES
below.
     
RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
     
At present, little is known about the viral and host factors involved in HTLV
pathogenesis which result in cancer induction vs. those which result in
neurotropic damage.  An elucidation of the overall pathogenic mechanisms of
HTLV is needed.  Therefore, the overall goals of this RFA are to stimulate
research on the role of HTLV-1-like viruses in human neoplasia and other
diseases with suspected retroviral etiology and the development of animal
models to delineate the mechanisms of disease pathogenesis.  Studies will be
invited in (but not limited to) the following specific areas of research:  (1)
systematic laboratory studies to define the possible retroviral etiology of
diseases whose clinical features suggest a retroviral role, including diverse
hematologic and solid tissue malignancies; (2) exploration, through laboratory
studies, of HTLV-2 disease pathogenesis and its role in human cancer; (3)
studies to address the basis for the differing pathogenic potentials of the
HTLV isolates, i.e. molecular mechanisms for the leukemogenic vs. neurotropic
behavior of the virus, including the comparison of the genomic sequences of
HTLV isolates from leukemia patients, intravenous drug abusers and TSP
patients, and comparison of virus-target cell interactions of HTLV infections
which result in neoplasia vs. those that result in neurotropic damage; (4)
laboratory studies to determine the role of cofactors (genetic, viral,
bacterial) in the triggering of disease expression associated specifically
with HTLV-1 infections; (5) identification of host and viral factors
responsible for the repressed state of HTLV-1 genome in vivo; (6) development
of animal/tissue culture models of human lymphoproliferative and neurologic
diseases, including the use of mutant retroviruses with altered pathogenic
properties and transgenic mice.
     
The proposed RFA would support studies that seek to answer what mechanisms are
involved in conferring the HTLV viruses with differing pathogenic potentials,
such as cancer induction and neuropathogenicity, but would not support
extramural studies which primarily involve the isolation and demonstration of
retroviruses in neurological diseases.
     
Where appropriate, collaborative arrangements to facilitate the achievement of
research goals should be considered.
     
Applications should contain as goals both methodological development and
application to a specific area of HTLV oncogenesis/pathogenesis.
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
This RFA will use the National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant-in-aid (RO1).
Responsibility for the planning, direction and execution of the proposed
project will be solely that of the applicant.  Except as stated in this RFA,
awards will be administered under PHS grants policy as stated in the Public
Health Service Grants Policy Statement, DHHS Publication No. (OASH) 82-50,000,
revised January 1, 1987.
     
This RFA is a one-time solicitation.  Generally, future unsolicited competing
renewal applications will compete as research project applications with all
other investigator-initiated applications and be reviewed in a standing
Division of Research Grants study section.  However, should the National
Cancer Institute (NCI) determine that there is a sufficient continuing program
need, NCI may announce a request for renewal applications.
     
Approximately $800,000 in total costs per year for five (5) years will be
committed to specifically fund applications that are submitted in response to
this RFA.  This funding level is dependent on the receipt of a sufficient
number of applications of high scientific merit.  The total project period for
applications submitted in response to the present RFA should not exceed five
(5) years.  The earliest feasible start date for the initial awards will be
April 1, 1991.  Although this program is provided for in the financial plans
of the NCI, award of grants pursuant to this RFA is also contingent upon the
availability of funds for this purpose.  Non-profit and for-profit
institutions are eligible to apply.  Foreign as well as domestic institutions
are eligible.
     
INQUIRIES
     
A copy of the complete RFA describing the research goals and scope, the review
criteria, and the method of applying can be obtained by contacting:

            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 2
Dr. Padman S. Sarma
Program Director, RNA Virus Studies I
Biological Carcinogenesis Branch
Division of Cancer Etiology
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North, Room 540
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9734
     
Written or telephone inquiries concerning the objectives and scope of this RFA
or inquiries about whether or not specific proposed research would be
responsive are encouraged and should be directed to Dr. Sarma at the above
address.  The program director welcomes the opportunity to clarify any issues
or answer questions from potential applicants.

RESEARCH TRAINING AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARDS IN NUTRITION
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  90-DKHD-10
     
P.T. 34, 44; K.W. 0710095, 0710030, 0720005, 0765020
     
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
     
Application Receipt Date:  July 17, 1989
     
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)
and the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
invite applications for nutrition research training and career development.
The award mechanisms offered are the National Research Service Award (NRSA)
Institutional Training Grant (new and competing renewal applications), the
NRSA Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship, the Physician Scientist Award, and
the Clinical Investigator Award.
     
Under this Request for Applications (RFA), assuming normal funding capacity
and the receipt of meritorious applications, the NIDDK plans to award at
least:  1 Institutional Training Grant (the actual number depending upon the
pool of competing renewal applications), 2 Physician Scientist and/or Clinical
Investigator Awards, and 4 Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship Awards; the
NICHD plans to award at least 2 Physician Scientist and/or Clinical
Investigator Awards.
     
Use the Public Health Service Grant/Award application kits PHS 398, Rev. 10/88
(PHS 416-1, Rev. 7/88 for the Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship application).
Write "NIDDK-NICHD Nutrition RFA 90-DKHD-10" on line 2 of the PHS 398 form,
and on line 3 of the PHS 416-1 form.  One copy of the RFA label available in
the PHS 398 application kit must be stapled to bottom of the face page of the
original application and a second copy of the RFA label must be placed on the
top of the entire application package.
     
For further information please contact:
     
Donald G. Murphy, Ph.D.
Director, Research Training and Career Development Program
Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition, NIDDK
Westwood Building, Room 3A15
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7455
     
OR
     
Ephraim Y. Levin, M.D.
Medical Officer
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 637
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5593

     

     

     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 3
                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

RESEARCH ON WORKSITE-RELATED ALCOHOL PROBLEMS:  CAUSATIVE PROCESSES, PRIMARY
AND SECONDARY PREVENTION
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404003, 0725020, 0755030, 0745027
     
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
     
BACKGROUND
     
Alcohol abuse and its associated morbidity and mortality pose a major problem
for American business and industry, significantly threatening worker health
and corporate profits.  If abuse of alcohol is as prevalent among working
adults as among the population at large, millions of workers are using alcohol
excessively and having attendant problems.
     
A number of worksite innovations have been developed to improve the health and
productivity of employees (e.g., employee assistance programs (EAPs), quality
of worklife programs, health promotion, alcohol (drug) testing and screening
programs), all claiming an impact, directly or indirectly, on reducing
worksite-related alcohol problems.  However, research has not kept pace by
providing outcome evaluations to substantiate or disprove those claims.
     
Worksite research conducted thus far has concentrated primarily on
identification, referral, and treatment of alcohol problems.  Relatively few
studies have examined how the workplace may contribute to the development of
alcohol-related problems among workers, on and off the job.  There has been a
paucity of scientifically rigorous studies assessing the effectiveness of
preventive interventions.  There is a need, as well, to address methodological
and design problems identified in previous studies.  Applicants are strongly
encouraged to involve statisticians and other methodologists in developing
their proposals.
     
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
     
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) wishes to
encourage research on (1) the social and psychological processes involved in
the onset and perpetuation of worksite-related alcohol problems, and (2) the
development and testing of preventive strategies to reduce the incidence and
prevalence of these problems.
     
Investigators may employ any of the standard research methodologies, either
singly or in combination, that can contribute to this area of prevention
research.  Studies may be descriptive, exploratory, or directed to the
determination of causal relations.  Economic and socioeconomic indicators may
be employed.
     
If an intervention is included, then an experimental or quasi-experimental
design is appropriate, and measures of behavioral change are desired.
Indirect problems associated with alcohol consumption, such as reduced
productivity or frequent absences from the job, may also be considered if
justified on the basis of relevancy.  If it is difficult to measure changes in
alcohol abuse during the study time frame, proxy outcome measures may be
proposed and justified.
     
Grant applicants are urged to give added attention to the inclusion of women
and minorities in study populations and at sufficient numbers to guarantee
generalization of the results, or provide a clear rationale for their
exclusion.
     
RESEARCH DIRECTIONS
     
Causative Processes:  Studies are needed that would contribute to
understanding how work institutions help create, exacerbate, or ameliorate
alcohol-related problems and their sequelae.  These studies should focus upon
the work environment, the workers themselves, and relationships between
milieus and persons that may increase or decrease the incidence, duration, and
severity of worksite-linked alcohol abuse.  Research reviews have identified
five possible groupings of "causal" factors with regard to the development of
alcohol problems at the worksite.  The clusters may operate separately or
synergistically with one or more of the others.  Although they tend to be
problem oriented conceptual categories, each may operate as a protective
process as well.  The clusters are:  (a) workplace cultures (or subcultures)
that can promote definitions of acceptable drinking or nondrinking behaviors
for employees in a particular work setting, either on or off the job; (b)
social control, which refers to the degree of freedom to behave independent of
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 4
co-worker or managerial observation and supervision and therefore is an index
of opportunities to drink excessively or limit alcohol consumption in accord
with personal preferences; (c) alienation from one's work or work environment
(based on the belief that work can be critical to personal identity) leading
to social isolation, estrangement, or powerlessness and, thus, to heavy or
problem drinking; (d) occupational stress from such factors as work overload,
monotony, job complexity, role conflict, etc.; and (e) alcohol availability
including social availability (the degree to which alcohol is available within
formal/informal work-related social entities) and physical availability
(simple accessibility of alcoholic beverages to workers in the actual work
area or close proximity).
     
Secondary Prevention of Alcohol Problems.  Until recently, the major thrust of
worksite programs has been secondary prevention (i.e., early intervention to
prevent the progression of a problem).  There has been little research to
substantiate claims of success or to compare the relative effectiveness of the
various programs in terms of improved worker health or productivity.  Two
types of programs may be considered here:  (a) Employee assistance programs
(EAPs) (based presumably on concerns about potential disruptions of employee
work performance) offer identification and assessment of alcohol-related
problems (and other employee problems), intervention (utilizing supervisory
"constructive confrontation"), and counseling, referral, and followup
services.  Methodological weaknesses have been identified (e.g., lack of
control groups, reliance on subjects' self reports) in a number of the
previous EAP effectiveness studies.  (b) Testing and screening programs are
being considered or implemented by public and private institutions due to
concern about alcohol (and drug) related problems associated with the work
situation, such as accidents and oil spills.  There do not appear to have been
assessments of the impact of screening and testing programs on business costs,
worker morale, turnover, or productivity.  Studies of effectiveness are in
order from the standpoint of the prevention of alcohol abuse and its early
identification.
     
Primary Prevention.  The major contribution of the worksite to reduction of
alcohol problems may still be forthcoming:  preventing the occurrence of
problems in the first place (primary prevention).  Such programs may be
oriented toward general health promotion (including, for example, physical
fitness, smoking cessation and stress management as well as control of alcohol
and drug use) and worklife quality (which also includes a variety of
activities while placing an emphasis on the need for cooperation by all
participants).  Alternatively, the focus may be specifically on prevention of
alcohol problems through policy deterrents and/or educational strategies
directed toward employees by the business or industry itself.  Collaboration
efforts involving industry and community leaders or organizations might also
serve as interventions for research that would study the impact of business
prevention strategies within the fabric of the larger community.  Another
business-based approach may be provided by the hospitality industry which
utilizes "responsible beverage service," designated driver and alternative
transportation programs, and sponsorship of anti-drunk driving publicity
campaigns.  Investigators might choose to study the effectiveness of any one
or combination of the hospitality industry prevention programs.
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
Research grant support may be requested for a period of up to 5 years
(renewable for subsequent periods).  Annual awards will be made subject to
continued availability of funds and progress achieved.  Grant funds may be
used for expenses clearly related and necessary to carry out research
projects, including both direct costs, which can be specifically identified
with the project, and allowable indirect costs of the institution.  Funds may
not be used to establish, add a component to, or operate a prevention,
rehabilitation, or treatment service program.  Support for research-related
prevention, rehabilitation, or prevention services and programs may be
requested only for those particular costs and for that period of time required
by the research.  These costs must be justified in terms of research
objectives, methods, and designs which promise to yield important
generalizable knowledge and/or to make a significant contribution to
theoretical concepts.
     
REVIEW PROCESS
     
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for receipt of
applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.  Applications in
response to this announcement will be assigned to an Initial Review Group
(IRG) in accordance with established PHS Referral Guidelines.  The IRG,
consisting primarily of non-Federal scientific and technical experts, reviews
applications for scientific and technical merit.  Notification of the review
recommendations will be sent to the applicant after the initial review.
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 5
Applications receive a second level review by the appropriate National
Advisory Council; that review may be based on both policy and scientific merit
considerations.  Only applications recommended for approval by the Council may
be considered for funding.
     
REVIEW CRITERIA
     
Criteria to be used in the scientific and technical review will include the
following:
     
  1. Significance of the research focus for the prevention of
     alcohol-related problems associated with the work environment;
  2. Potential of the research to contribute to knowledge of primary and
     secondary prevention of worksite-related alcohol problems;
  3. Evidence that the investigators are familiar with the
     state-of-the-art and existing knowledge gaps in their proposed area
     of research;
  4. Degree of scientific rigor in the design and implementation of the
     study;
  5. Adequacy of the methods used to collect and analyze data;
  6. Qualifications and research experience of the principal
     investigator and other key research personnel;
  7. Evidence of availability of facilities, resources, collaborative
     arrangements, and subjects appropriate to the goals of the
     research;
  8. Adequacy of procedures to protect human subjects;
  9. Appropriateness of budget estimates for the proposed research
     activities.
     
ELIGIBILITY
     
Applications may be submitted by public or private non-profit or for-profit
organizations such as universities, colleges, hospitals, research institutes
and organizations, units of state and local governments, and eligible agencies
of the Federal Government.  Women and minority investigators are encouraged to
apply.
     
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
     
Applicants should use the grant application form PHS 398 (revised 10/88).  The
name of this announcement, "Research on Worksite-Related Alcohol Problems:
Causative Processes, Primary and Secondary Prevention," should be typed on
page 1, item 2, of PHS 398.
     
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions (PHS 398) may
be obtained from institutional business offices or offices of sponsored
research at most universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major
research facilities.  Application forms may also be obtained from the National
Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information, Reference Department, P.O. Box
2345, Rockville, Maryland 20852 (telephone:  301-468-2600).
     
The signed original and six permanent, legible copies of the completed
application and any appendices should be submitted to:
     
Division of Research Grants, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
     
AWARD CRITERIA AND AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
     
Applications recommended for approval by a National Advisory Council will be
considered for funding on the basis of the overall scientific and technical
merits of the proposal as determined by peer review, program needs and
balance, and the availability of funds.  Applications received under this
announcement will compete for general FY 1991 funds appropriated for alcohol
research, the amount of which will depend on appropriated funds and program
priorities at the time of award.
     
INQUIRIES
     
Potential applicants are encouraged to obtain a copy of the complete
announcement and seek preapplication consultation by contacting:

     

     
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 6
Donald F. Godwin
Prevention Research Branch
Division of Clinical and Prevention Research
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-1677
     
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance, No.
13.273.  Grants will be awarded under the authority of Sections 301 and 510 of
the Public Health Service Act, as amended (42 USC 241 and 290bb) and
administered in accordance with the PHS Grants Policy Statement and Federal
Regulations at 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.
     
Applications submitted in response to this announcement are not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372, as implemented
through Department of Health and Human Services regulations at 45 CFR Part
100, and are not subject to Health Systems Agency review.

RESEARCH ON THE PREVENTION OF ALCOHOL ABUSE IN THE OLDER POPULATION
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404003, 0710010, 0745027, 0413001
     
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
     
BACKGROUND
     
Alcohol abuse in the elderly is being increasingly recognized as a significant
public health concern in terms of scope and adverse consequences of the
problem.  While prevalence estimates vary widely, the literature suggests that
between 2 and 10 percent of older Americans have some type of problem with
alcohol.  In view of the increasing size of the older population, this
represents a growing number of elderly with alcohol problems.  Further, while
the misuse of alcohol has serious repercussions at any age, its consequences
can be even more problematic in the aging individual whose system is already
undergoing a process of decline.
     
This program announcement addresses the need to find effective ways to reduce
the current level of alcohol abuse in the elderly and to prevent it from
taking on greater proportions in the future.
     
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
     
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) wishes to
encourage research on the primary and secondary prevention of alcohol abuse in
the elderly.  Research options under this initiative include:  (a) the
implementation and testing of a full-scale intervention to reduce or prevent
alcohol abuse in the later years of life; (b) the conduct of basic research on
social institutions (e.g., the family) and processes (e.g., socialization) to
ascertain their potential utility for intervention research on older abusers;
and (c) the development of measurement tools to identify appropriate
individual and group targets for prevention interventions.  Applicants may
also propose a combination of options (a), (b), and (c).
     
Since the focus of this research announcement is primary and secondary
prevention, relevant study populations would be older problem drinkers of the
"late-onset" type (those who first show signs of alcohol abuse in their later
years) and the "intermittent" type (those who have had episodic problems with
alcohol over the life-course).  Applicants are urged to include women and
minorities in study populations and at sufficient numbers to guarantee
generalization of the results, or provide a clear rationale for their
exclusion.
     
Preventive intervention research could focus on a number of issues.  As
examples, investigators could examine the strengths and weaknesses of
pre-retirement counseling for preventing post-retirement alcohol problems.
Business and industry might be appropriate settings for testing this type of
intervention.  Gathering information about alcohol abuse in congregate housing
facilities for the elderly and testing interventions in these settings are
also possible research directions.  Similarly, investigators could test
methods for preventing late-life alcohol abuse in the community at large,
including strategies that use a combination of mass media and reinforcing
community mobilization efforts.  Other possible research foci include:
studying the potential role of health care professionals in preventing
late-life alcohol abuse; gathering information about and testing ways to
prevent alcohol-impaired driving in the elderly; and developing and testing
ways that servers of alcoholic beverages (such as bartenders and waitresses)
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 7
can intervene to prevent alcohol abuse and related problems in the older
population.
     
Instead of, or prior to implementing and testing a full-scale preventive
intervention, investigators may choose to conduct basic research on the
various components of an intervention to ascertain their preventive potential
with older individuals.  The family and religious organizations are two
potential instruments of behavior change that could be tested for their
effectiveness with older people.  Research on the critical components of the
media, such as the type of appeal or source of the message, is another
possibility.  In addition, investigators may wish to develop measurement tools
that could identify those older individuals who are a) vulnerable to the
development of alcohol problems, or b) in the early stages of problem
drinking.
     
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
     
Research grant support may be requested for a period of up to 5 years
(renewable for subsequent periods).  Annual awards will be made subject to
continued availability of funds and progress achieved.  Grant funds may be
used for expenses clearly related and necessary to carry out research
projects, including both direct costs, which can be specifically identified
with the project, and allowable indirect costs of the institution.  Funds may
not be used to establish, add a component to, or operate a treatment,
rehabilitation, or prevention service program.  Support to research-related
treatment, rehabilitation, or prevention services and programs may be
requested only for those particular costs and for that period of time required
by the research.  These costs must be justified in terms of research
generalizable knowledge and/or to make a significant contribution to
theoretical concepts.
     
ELIGIBILITY
     
Applications may be submitted by public or private non-profit or for-profit
organizations such as universities, colleges, hospitals, research institutes
and organizations, units of state and local governments, and eligible agencies
of the Federal Government.  Women and minority investigators are encouraged to
apply.
     
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
     
The standard research grant application form PHS 398 (revised 10/88) must be
used to apply for these awards.  When applying, type the name of this
announcement, "Research on the Prevention of Alcohol Abuse in the Older
Population," on page 1, item 2, of PHS 398.
     
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions (PHS 398) may
be obtained from institutional business offices or offices of sponsored
research at most universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major
research facilities.  Application forms may also be obtained from the National
Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information, Reference Department, P.O. Box
2345, Rockville, Maryland 20852 (telephone:  301-468-2600).
     
The signed original and six permanent, legible copies of the completed
application and any appendices should be submitted to:
     
Division of Research Grants, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
     
REVIEW PROCESS
     
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for receipt of
applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.  Applications received
under this announcement will be assigned to an Initial Review Group (IRG) in
accordance with established PHS Referral Guidelines.  The IRGs, consisting
primarily of non-Federal scientific and technical experts, will review the
applications for scientific and technical merit.  Notification of the review
recommendations will be sent to the applicant after the initial review.
Applications will receive a second-level review by an appropriate National
Advisory Council, whose review may be based on policy as well as scientific
merit considerations.  Only applications recommended for approval by the
Council may be considered for funding.
     
REVIEW CRITERIA
     
Criteria to be used in the scientific and technical review include the
following:
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 8
  1. Significance of the research focus for preventing alcohol abuse in
     the older population;
     
  2. Potential of the research to contribute to knowledge of the primary
     and secondary prevention of alcohol abuse and alcoholism in the
     older population;
     
  3. Evidence that the investigators are familiar with the
     state-of-the-art and existing knowledge gaps in their proposed area
     of research;
     
  4. Degree of scientific rigor in the design and implementation of the
     study;
     
  5. Adequacy of the methods used to collect and analyze data;
     
  6. Qualifications and research experience of the principal
     investigator and other key research personnel;
     
  7. Evidence of availability of facilities, resources, collaborative
     arrangements, and subjects appropriate to the goals of the
     research;
     
  8. Adequacy of procedures to protect human subjects;
     
  9. Appropriateness of budget estimates for the proposed research
     activities.
     
AWARD CRITERIA AND AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
     
Applications recommended for approval by a National Advisory Council will be
considered for funding on the basis of the overall scientific and technical
merits of the proposal as determined by peer review, program needs and
balance, and the availability of funds.
     
Applications received under this announcement will compete for general FY 1991
funds appropriated for alcohol research.  The amount of funding available will
depend on appropriated funds and program priorities at the time of award.
     
INQUIRIES
     
Potential applicants are encouraged to obtain a copy of the complete
announcement and seek preapplication consultation.  Please contact:
     
Dr. Mary L. Ganikos
Prevention Research Branch
Division of Clinical and Prevention Research
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-1677
     
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance, No.
13.273.  Grants will be awarded under the authority of Sections 301 and 510 of
the Public Health Service Act, as amended (42 USC 241 and 290bb) and
administered in accordance with the PHS Grants Policy Statement and Federal
Regulations at 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.
     
Applications submitted in response to this announcement are not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372, as implemented
through Department of Health and Human Service regulations at 45CFR Part 100,
and are not subject to Health Systems Agency review.

ACADEMIC AWARD IN ENVIRONMENTAL/OCCUPATIONAL MEDICINE
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0725005, 0725020
     
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
     
Application Receipt Date:  June 1, 1990
     
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) invites
national competition for Environmental/ Occupational Medicine Academic Awards,
which have the dual purpose of improving the quality of
environmental/occupational medicine curricula and of fostering research
careers in environmental/occupation medicine.  Each school of medicine or
osteopathy in the United States and its possessions or territories is eligible
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 9
to compete for Environmental/Occupational Medicine Academic Award for a
project period that does not exceed five years and, if successful, to receive
the Award once only.  The number of new awards made each year will depend on
the availability of funds.  It is anticipated that four to five awards will be
made in Fiscal Year 1991.
     
For the purposes of the Environmental/Occupational Medicine Academic Award,
the term environmental/occupational medicine refers to the area of medicine
concerned with the development of knowledge and the application of knowledge
directed at the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of adverse human health
effects from environmental/occupational exposures to toxic agents.  This
includes adverse health effects in infants, children, and adults who are at
risk of developing such health problems and the reduction of preventable
complications or disability in persons of all ages who have already developed
such diseases.
     
NIEHS is initiating the Environmental/Occupational Medicine Academic Award
Program to provide a stimulus for development of an environmental/occupational
medicine curriculum in those schools that do not have one and to strengthen
and improve the environmental/occupational medicine curriculum in those
schools that do.  Awards provide support to applicant faculty members for
their educational development and for implementation or expansion of the
curriculum in environmental/occupational medicine.
     
Applications must be received by June 1, 1990, for review at the January
meeting of the National Environmental Health Sciences Advisory Council.
Awards will be made with a beginning date of July 1, 1991.  Copies of the
Program Guidelines are currently available from:
     
Annette Kirshner, Ph.D.
Scientific Programs Branch
Division of Extramural Research and Training
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
National Institute of Health
P. O. Box 12233
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
Telephone:  (919) 541-0488
     
The programs of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences are
identified in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance, Number 13.894.
Awards will be made under the authority of the Public Health Service Act,
Section 301 (42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grant policies and Federal
regulations, most specifically 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This
program is not subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of
Executive Order 12372 or to review by a Health Systems Agency.

RESEARCH ON PROMISING PHARMACOTHERAPIES FOR ALCOHOLISM
     
P.T. 34, FF, II; K.W. 0404003, 0710100, 0740025, 0414014, 0745070, 0755030
     
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
     
PURPOSE
     
The development of new medications for the treatment of brain and behavior
disorders is one of the top priorities of the Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental
Health Administration (ADAMHA).  As part of this initiative, the National
Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) is seeking applications for
grants in the area of preclinical research and clinical research on
pharmacological treatments for alcoholism.
     
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
     
This announcement seeks research projects that will investigate various
Research is also needed to address general questions that transcend the
specific pharmacological classes.  These include the following:
     
  o  What are the precise conditions that call for pharmacological
     interventions?  How can psychosocial and pharmaceutical
     interventions be integrated to enhance treatment outcome?  What
     should be the short- and long-term goals of these interventions?
     
  o  Is the concept of matching specific treatments to different aspects
     of alcoholism (e.g., alcohol subtypes, co-morbid psychopathology,
     and primary versus secondary alcoholism) more appropriate than a
     more generalized medicative approach to treatment?

           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 10
  o  Does collateral pharmacological treatment enhance or detract from
     participation in traditional alcoholism treatment and
     sobriety-support groups?
     
  o  What are the most effective research/statistical methodologies for
     conducting pharmacologic research on alcoholism treatment?
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
Research grant support may be requested for a period of up to 5 years
(renewable for subsequent periods).  Annual awards will be made subject to
continued availability of funds and progress achieved.  Grant funds may be
used for expenses clearly related and necessary to carry out research
projects, including both direct costs, which can be specifically identified
with the project, and allowable indirect costs of the institution.  Funds may
not be used to establish; add a component to; or operate a treatment,
rehabilitation, or prevention service program.  Support for research related
treatment, rehabilitation, or prevention services and programs may be
requested only for those particular costs and for that period of time required
by the research.  These costs must be justified in terms of research
objectives, methods, and designs which promise to yield important
generalizable knowledge and/or to make a significant contribution to
theoretical concepts.
     
ELIGIBILITY
     
Applications may be made by public or private nonprofit or for-profit
organizations such as universities, colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units
of State or local governments, and eligible agencies of the Federal
government.  Women and minority investigators are encouraged to apply.
     
INCLUSION OF MINORITIES IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
Applicants are urged to give added attention (where feasible and appropriate)
to the inclusion of minorities in study populations for research into the
etiology of diseases, research in behavioral and social sciences, clinical
studies of treatment and treatment outcomes, research on the dynamics of
health care and its impact on disease, and appropriate interventions for
disease prevention and health promotion.  If minorities are not included in a
given study, a clear rationale for their exclusion should be provided.
     
INCLUSION OF FEMALES IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
Applicants are urged to consider the inclusion of females in study populations
for all clinical research efforts.  Exceptions would be studies of diseases
which exclusively affect males or where involvement of pregnant women may
expose the fetus to undue risks.  Gender differences should be noted and
evaluated.  If females are not to be included, a clear rationale should be
provided for their exclusion.
     
In order to provide more precise information to the treatment community, it is
recommended that publications resulting from research in which the study
population was limited to one sex for any reason other than that the disease
or condition studied exclusively affects that sex, should state, in the
abstract summary, the gender of the population studied, e.g., "male patients,"
"male volunteers," "female patients," "female volunteers."
     
APPLICATION PROCESS
     
Applicants should use the grant application form PHS 398 (Rev. 10/88).  The
title of this announcement, "Research on Promising Pharmacotherapies for
Alcoholism," should be typed in item number 2 on the face page of the PHS 398
application form.  Page limits and limits on size of type are strictly
enforced.  Non-conforming applications will be returned without review.
     
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions (PHS 398) may
be obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at most
universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major research facilities.
If such a source is not available, the following office may be contacted for
the necessary application material:
     
National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
P.O. Box 2345
Rockville, MD 20852
Telephone:  (301) 468-2600
     
The signed original and six permanent, legible copies of the completed
application should be sent to:
     
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 11
Division of Research Grants, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD 20892**
     
REVIEW PROCESS
     
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for receipt of
applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.  Applications received
under this announcement will be assigned to an Initial Review Group (IRG) in
accordance with established PHS Referral Guidelines.  The IRGs, consisting
primarily of non-Federal scientific and technical experts, will review the
applications for scientific and technical merit.  Notification of the review
recommendations will be sent to the applicant after the initial review.
Applications will receive a second level review by the National Advisory
Council on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism or other appropriate council, whose
review may be based on policy as well as scientific merit considerations.
Only applications recommended for approval by an initial review group and by
the Council may be considered for funding.
     
REVIEW CRITERIA
     
Criteria to be used in the scientific and technical merit review of alcohol
research grant applications will include the following:
     
  1. The overall scientific and technical merit of the proposal and the
     adequacy of the methodology to carry out the proposed research.
     
  2. The adequacy of the qualifications (including level of education
     and training), relevant research experience of the principal
     investigator, and key research personnel.
     
  3. The quality of the applicant's past and present research
     performance as related to the proposed project.
     
  4. The availability of adequate facilities, general environment for
     the conduct of the proposed research, other resources, and
     collaborative arrangements necessary for the research.
     
  5. The reasonableness of budget estimates for the proposed research
     activities.
     
  6. Where applicable, the adequacy of procedures to protect or minimize
     effects on human subjects.
     
  7. The adequacy of the design for collection and analysis of data,
     including research schematics, detailed analytic plans, and
     proposed instrumentation.
     
AWARD CRITERIA AND AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
     
Applications recommended for approval by a National Advisory Council will be
considered for funding on the basis of the overall scientific and technical
merits of the proposal as determined by peer review, program needs and
balance, and the availability of funds.
     
No funds have been set aside specifically for this purpose.  Applications
received under this announcement will compete for general FY 1991 funds
appropriated for alcohol research.  It is anticipated that, for FY 1991,
approximately $1 million will be available to support new grants under this
announcement.  However, the amount of funding available will depend on
appropriated funds and program priorities at the time of award.
     
INQUIRIES
     
Direct inquiries may be addressed to the following NIAAA program staff at 5600
Fishers Lane, Rockville, Maryland 20857:
     
Raye Z. Litten, Ph.D.
Treatment Research Branch
Division of Clinical and Prevention Research
Room 16C-03
Telephone:  (301) 443-0796
     
Walter Hunt, Ph.D.
Chief, Neuroscience and Behavioral Research Branch
Division of Basic Research
Room 14C-20
Telephone:  (301) 443-4223
     
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 12
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance, No.
13.273.  Grants will be awarded under the authority of Sections 301 and 510 of
the Public Health Service Act, as amended (42 USC 241 and 290bb) and
administered in accordance with the PHS Grants Policy Statement and Federal
Regulations at 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.
     
Applications submitted in response to this announcement are not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372, as implemented
through Department of Health and Human Services regulations at 45 CFR Part
100, and are not subject to Health Systems Agency review.

**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS THE
CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.  APPLICANTS WHO
USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S
REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD
BUILDING IS:
     
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20816

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
     
           NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 8, February 23, 1990 - Page 13