Subject: (Copy) NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 90 08:21 EST

Paul,
   Please post this to the listserver as NIHGUIDE.030290
Thanks.  Have a nice day.
                         Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
     
X-comment: NIH Guide (including TOC) contained 13 pages (1040 lines)
X-comment: RFAs described:  DA-90-11, 90-AI-04, 90-HD-04, 90-HD-01, 90-CA-12

NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990

                                   NOTICES

HUMAN LIVER CELL CULTURE FACILITY .......................(84/125)............ 1
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES

NIH WORKSHOP ON GRANTS AND CONTRACTS PREPARATION AND ADMINISTRATION
FOR HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES ........(128/170)........... 1
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

A STUDY OF TUMOR SUPPRESSOR GENES (RFP) .................(176/212)........... 2
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Index:  ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCES

DESIGN OF PEDIATRIC COCHLEAR IMPLANTS (RFP) .............(215/275)........... 2
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
Index:  DEAFNESS, COMMUNICATION DISORDERS

STRUCTURE ACTIVITY RELATIONSHIPS FOR ANTICONVULSANT DRUG DEVELOPMENT (RFP) .. 3
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke  (278/356)
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE

COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT FOR A DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT RESEARCH
DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (RFA DA-90-11) ............ 4
National Institute on Drug Abuse                         (359/525)
Index:  DRUG ABUSE

AIDS CLINICAL TRIAL INFRASTRUCTURE COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT FOR MINORITY
INSTITUTIONS (RFA 90-AI-04) ........................(528/652, 1044/1831)..... 6
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES

COOPERATIVE MULTICENTER NETWORK OF MATERNAL-FETAL MEDICINE UNITS
(RFA 90-HD-04) .....................................(655/704, 1834/2379)..... 8
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Index:  CHILD HEALTH, HUMAN DEVELOPMENT

COOPERATIVE MULTICENTER NETWORK OF NEONATAL INTENSIVE CARE UNITS
(RFA 90-HD-01) .....................................(707/758, 2382/3032)..... 8
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Index:  CHILD HEALTH, HUMAN DEVELOPMENT

CLINICAL DIAGNOSTIC STUDIES OF BRAIN TUMOR USING PET AND OTHER
IMAGING MODALITIES (RFA 90-CA-12) ..................(761/824, 3035/3352)..... 9
National Cancer Institute
Index:  CANCER

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

SHORT-TERM TRAINING FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS IN ENVIRONMENTAL/OCCUPATIONAL
HEALTH .............................................(830/865)................10
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Index:  ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCES

RESEARCH ON THE RECOGNITION, MANAGEMENT, AND PREVENTION OF ALCOHOL
PROBLEMS IN A PRIMARY HEALTH CARE SETTING ..........(868/1031)...............10
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Index:  ALCOHOL ABUSE, ALCOHOLISM
                                   NOTICES

HUMAN LIVER CELL CULTURE FACILITY
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0780015, 0780000, 1002004
     
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
     
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)
announces the establishment of a Human Liver Cell Culture Facility at SRI
International, Menlo Park, California, for the purpose of making human
hepatocytes more widely accessible to researchers.  The Facility is now
prepared to begin the first phase of providing hepatocytes to selected
investigators.
     
NIDDK supports the acquisition of excess normal human livers from organ
transplant donors and the isolation and culture of hepatocytes from these
tissues.  Human liver cells in high yield are being routinely prepared.
Quality control data on initial viability, survival in culture, selected liver
specific functions, and donor information (e.g., age, sex, race, cause of
death) are available.
     
The human liver cells can be used either in the Facility by a visiting
investigator who is resident at the laboratory or who comes only when cells
are available.  Selected experiments with human hepatocytes can be conducted
for researchers by Facility personnel, when time permits, but the costs of
these special assays are not covered by the NIDDK support and must be
reimbursed.  Liver cells can not be shipped at this time, although techniques
for transporting viable human hepatocytes are currently under development.
Facility personnel are also available to train investigators in the
preparation and handling of human hepatocytes.
     
All United States researchers are eligible to obtain human hepatocytes.
However, those whose studies can provide additional characterizations of the
cells or contribute to the further development of this resource are especially
encouraged.  Research requests are reviewed and prioritized by an advisory
committee.  To obtain a proposal form or additional information about the
Facility contact:
     
Dr. Carol E. Green
SRI International
333 Ravenswood Avenue
Menlo Park, CA  94025
Telephone:  (415) 859-4083

NIH WORKSHOP ON GRANTS AND CONTRACTS PREPARATION AND ADMINISTRATION FOR
HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES
     
P.T. 42, FC; K.W. 1014006
     
National Institutes of Health
     
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) will conduct a two-day workshop on
grants and contracts in Atlanta, Georgia, on April 18 and 19, 1990.  The
workshop, sponsored by the Morehouse School of Medicine, is for faculty,
researchers, and research administrators at Historically Black Colleges and
Universities (HBCUs) primarily in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana,
Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.  Those interested
at HBCUs in other states are welcome to attend.
     
The workshop will feature information and instruction on various aspects of
the preparation and administration of research grants and contracts.  There
will be presentations and discussions of current issues that affect HBCU
participation in the Federal grant and contract process.  Speakers for the
workshop represent the NIH Division of Contracts and Grants, the Office of
Extramural Research, and program and grants management staff.  After an
overview of the differences in the grant, contract, and cooperative agreement
award mechanisms, the first day of the workshop will center on grants, e.g.,
the preparation of an NIH application or proposal, the NIH peer review
process, and budget preparation.  The second day will feature topics
associated with contracts, e.g., preaward and post-award administration, the
small and disadvantaged business program, and civil rights/contract
compliance.

     
     
              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990 - Page 1
The Morehouse School of Medicine will send out invitations to HBCUs in the
southeastern United States.  Schedules and other pertinent information will be
available by early March.  Interested persons should contact:
     
Dr. Roy Hunter Jr.
Office of Sponsored Programs
Morehouse School of Medicine
720 Westview Drive, S.W.
Atlanta, GA  30310-1495
Telephone:  (404) 752-1610

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

A STUDY OF TUMOR SUPPRESSOR GENES
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-ES-90-08
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1002058, 0755042, 0790005
     
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
     
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) is soliciting
proposals for a project designed to identify and ultimately clone tumor
suppressor genes in rodents.  The primary strain of mice to be examined is the
B6C3F1 mouse though other heterozygous rodent strains may also be considered.
The contractor will be required to:  (1) identify polymorphic probes in the
B6C3F1 mouse using new or previously described probes that have been mapped to
chromosomes in the mouse or other species (probes shall be made available to
laboratories as designated by the Project Officer); (2) if necessary, map
these probes to specific chromosomes in the mouse and the human; (3) identify
mouse chromosomes that show loss of heterozygosity in specific tumor tissue
DNAs using these FPLP probes; (4) when chromosomes that show loss of
heterozygosity in tumors are identified, regionally localize relevant FRFLP
probes in these chromosomes; and (5) reprobe membranes with selected oncogene
probes to determine if certain oncogenes are amplified in tumors studied.  A
five-year contract is anticipated.  The Government estimates that the project
will require approximately 1.5 professional person years and 1.5 technical
person years per contract year.  All responsible sources may submit a proposal
which shall be considered by the Agency.
     
The estimated issuance date of RFP NIH-ES-90-08 is March 5, 1990, and
responses will be due to be received by the Contract Specialist on April 27,
1990.  Requests should reference RFP NIH-ES-90-08 and should be forwarded to:
     
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
ATTN:  James D. Doyle, Contract Specialist
Contracts and Procurement Management Branch, OM
79 TW Alexander Drive, 4401 Research Commons Building
P.O. Box 12874
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709

DESIGN OF PEDIATRIC COCHLEAR IMPLANTS
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NIDCD-90-01
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715050, 0740030
     
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
     
The National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD),
NIH, has a requirement to have a cochlear implant designed for use in children
and which could be removed and replaced without irreversible trauma to the
cochlea and associated tissues.  This implant will utilize electrode arrays.
     
Past studies supported by NIDCD and its predecessor, the National Institute of
Neurological and Communicative Disorders and Stroke, have supported the
development of essentially all components in implanted auditory prostheses.
These have included the evaluation of the safety of chronic implantation, and
electrical stimulation of the cochlea.  For the most part these components
were designed for permanent implantation in adults.  Recently the NIDCD, with
the technical assistance of the Neural Prosthesis Program, has supported
studies of problems that are unique to implants in children.  Specifically,
the effects of head growth and recurrent otitis media have been evaluated in
young animals.

              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990 - Page 2
The results of these studies indicate that fibrous tissue encapsulation of
lead wires connecting electrode arrays in the scala tympani with implanted
receiver-stimulators in the mastoid region can cause significant problems.
Also, histopathological examinations of cochleas after chronic implantation of
electrodes have revealed fibrous tissue, and in some cases, new bone growth
occluding the scala tympani.  Although it appears that practical designs which
will accommodate head growth will be possible, the replacement of these
devices, should they fail or when improved auditory prostheses become
available, will not be trivial.  This is especially important in children
because of the long anticipated period of cochlear implant use over their life
spans.
     
The contractor will be required to sent staff to Bethesda, Maryland, yearly to
present progress on their work at the Neural Prosthesis Workshop sponsored by
the Neural Prosthesis Program.
     
The Request for Proposals, RFP No. NIH-NIDCD-90-01, will be issued on or about
February 28, 1990, with responses due approximately 60 days thereafter.  It is
anticipated that one award will be made under this Request for Proposals
(RFP), for a five-year period.
     
To receive a copy of the RFP, please submit a written request and two (2)
self-addressed mailing labels to the following address:
     
Contracting Officer
Contracts Management Branch, DEA
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH
Federal Building, Room 901
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
     
Attention:  RFP No. NIH-NIDCD-90-01
     
All responsible sources may submit a proposal which shall be considered by the
Government.

STRUCTURE ACTIVITY RELATIONSHIPS FOR ANTICONVULSANT DRUG DEVELOPMENT
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NINDS-90-05
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0740010, 0790000, 0755018, 0755060
     
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
     
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) has a
requirement to evaluate the structure-activity relationships (SAR) for
anticonvulsant drugs screened by the Antiepileptic Drug Development (ADD)
Program of the NINDS.
     
The Epilepsy Branch, Division of Convulsive, Developmental and Neuromuscular
Disorders, NINDS, conducts an extensive Antiepileptic Drug Development (ADD)
Program aimed at identifying potentially new antiepileptic agents to be used
in man.  The ADD program is an extramural program run through the contract
mechanism which was established as a collaborative effort with academia,
government, and the pharmaceutical industry in order to develop more effective
and less toxic anti-convulsive therapeutic agents.  This program employs a
step-wise approach utilizing a systematic series of screening tests and
decision steps to advance candidate compounds through the stages of
preclinical and clinical development.  Compounds that demonstrate therapeutic
indices are advanced to sub-chronic oral toxicity.  The Contractor will be
responsible for establishing a database to analyze structure-activity
relationships for systematic predictions of increasing activity and/or
decreasing toxicity.  This requirement represents a new component of the ADD
program to conduct analysis of approximately 14,000 structures which will be
or have been screened for anticonvulsant activity.
     
The analysis of quantitative structure-activity relationships (QSAR) is based
on calculating theoretical chemical structural attributes and statistically
comparing the chemical and biological data.  QSAR methods that relate
functions of chemical structures to measures of biological activity will be
used to develop the mathematical equations or structure-activity
relationships.  These equations will be used by the Government to predict
activity of new agents directly coming into the ADD program.  Algorithms will
be constructed around the mathematical equations for use on a day-to-day basis
to aid in the design and selection of drugs of higher potency and lower
toxicity.  The ADD program will be benefited by increased efficiency and
better scientific analysis of the scientific data generated in the program.
     
              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990 - Page 3
Full integration of chemical and biological files for structure-activity
analysis under a user friendly interface will be an essential requirement for
performance.  Interdisciplinary experience and expertise in theoretical
chemistry, neuropharmacology, neurobiochemistry and advanced scientific
computing are required.  Demonstrated expertise in structure-activity
relationships, chemical data management, neuropharmacology and decision
support systems is essential.
     
Access to the data and materials used and generated under this contract will
be restricted, since data are within a controlled contractor facility to which
non-employees shall not have access and non-authorized employees are
reasonably restrained from opportunity to use, manipulate, or remove the data
from the facility.
     
All required personnel, facilities, computer hardware, and software and other
materials will be the responsibility of the Contractor.  The chemical
structural data and the biological screening data will be provided by the
Government.
     
Request for Proposals (RFP) No. NIH-NINDS-90-05 will be issued on or about
February 28, 1990, with responses due approximately 45 days thereafter.  The
Government anticipates one contract award for a performance period of three
(3) years.
     
To receive a copy of the RFP, please submit a written request and two (2)
self-addressed mailing labels to the following address:
     
Contracting Officer
Contracts Management Branch, DEA
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH
Federal Building, Room 901
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
     
All responsible sources may submit a proposal which shall be considered by the
Government.

COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT FOR A DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION
PROGRAM IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  DA-90-11
     
P.T. 34, FF, II; K.W. 0404009, 0403004, 0415001, 0745070
     
National Institute on Drug Abuse
     
Application Receipt Date:  May 23, 1990
     
Purpose
     
The purpose of this cooperative agreement is to support a drug abuse treatment
research demonstration program in the District of Columbia.  This program will
test and evaluate the effectiveness of various drug abuse treatment approaches
and combinations of treatment methods and approaches in order to examine their
differential effectiveness in particular diagnostic and patient/population
subgroups.  It is also expected that funds available from this project will be
used to expand treatment capacity and the number of treatment slots available
in the District of Columbia.
     
The District of Columbia was selected as the site for this model treatment
research demonstration project because of the extent and intensity of the drug
abuse problem, availability of clients, and because the combination of patient
subgroups and types of drug abuse problems lends itself to a research
demonstration project that may be able to be replicated in other parts of the
country.  As part of the National Drug Control Strategy, released in September
1989, Washington, D.C. was identified as the first site for a model drug
treatment demonstration program.
     
Applications are being solicited in this Request for Applications (RFA) for
two components:  (1) a Diagnostic, Referral, and Data Management Unit and (2)
two outpatient treatment programs, each offering a different range of
services.  Applicants for the outpatient treatment programs must propose to
operate both outpatient treatment programs.  In order to ensure the
operational efficiency of the demonstration program, proposals to operate only
one outpatient treatment program will be considered non-responsive and will
not be considered for review.

              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990 - Page 4
Applicants may apply for one or both components.  Applicants must submit
separate applications for each component for which they are requesting
support.  Separate awards will be made by the National Institute on Drug Abuse
(NIDA) for each of the components described below.  Applicants applying for
both components should indicate the programmatic and financial benefits to the
Federal Government of having one awardee for the two components.  In FY 1990,
it is estimated that $4-5 million will be available to support awards for all
components under this RFA.
     
It is expected that this program will be expanded in the near future with the
addition of a residential treatment component, and applicants for this
cooperative agreement would be expected to then coordinate their activities
with that component, or other such additional components as may be developed.
The residential treatment component will be a joint initiative between NIDA
and the Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA), Office
for Treatment Improvement (OTI).  OTI was established to provide national
leadership for the Federal effort to enhance approaches and programs focusing
on the treatment of drug abusers as well as associated problems of alcoholism
and mental illness.
     
Eligibility
     
Applications may be submitted by public or private non-profit or for-profit
organizations including but not limited to universities, colleges, and
service-provider organizations.
     
Inclusion of Minorities in Study Populations
     
Applicants are urged to give added attention (where feasible and appropriate)
to the inclusion of minorities in study populations for research on clinical
studies of treatment and treatment outcomes.  If minorities are not included
in a given study, a clear rationale for their exclusion should be provided.
     
Inclusion of Women in Study Populations
     
Applicants are urged to consider the inclusion of women in the study
populations for all clinical research efforts.  Exceptions would be studies of
diseases which exclusively affect males or where involvement of pregnant women
may expose the fetus to undue risks.  Gender differences should be noted and
evaluated.  If women are not be included, a clear rationale should be provided
for their exclusion.
     
In order to provide more precise information to the treatment community, it is
recommended that publications resulting from ADAMHA-supported research in
which the study populations was limited to one sex for any reason other than
that the disease or condition studies exclusively affects that sex, should
state, in the abstract summary, the gender of the population studies, e.g.,
"male patients," "male volunteers," "female patients," "female volunteers."
     
Application Procedures
     
Applicants should use grant application form PHS 398 (rev.  10/88).  The
number (DA-90-11) and title of this RFA, "D.C. Treatment Research
Demonstration Program" (Specify whether applying for the Diagnostic Unit or
Outpatient Clinics), should be typed in item 2 on the face page of PHS 398
form.  Applicants must submit a separate application for each component for
which they are requesting support.  Applicants for the second component must
propose to operate two outpatient treatment programs; proposals to operate
only one outpatient treatment program will be considered non-responsive and
will not be considered for review.  Applicants must affix the RFA label, which
is provided in the PHS 398 application kit, to the bottom of the face page of
the application.  Failure to use this label could result in delayed processing
of the application so that it may not reach the review committee in time for
review.
     
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions may be
obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at most
universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major research facilities.
If such a source is not available, the following office may be contacted for
the necessary application material:  Grants Management Branch, National
Institute on Drug Abuse, 5600 Fishers Lane, Room 8A-54, Rockville, Maryland
20857; (301) 443-6710.
     
Prospective applicants are asked to submit a letter of intent.  This should be
brief but indicate the Principal Investigator and Co-Investigators; identify
any cooperating institutions, if any; and the type of component(s) for which
support will be requested.  The Institute requests such letters only for the
purpose of providing an indication of the number and scope of applications to
     
              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990 - Page 5
be received and, therefore, usually does not acknowledge their receipt.  A
letter of intent is not binding and will not enter into the review of any
application subsequently submitted, nor is it a necessary requirement for
applications.  This letter of intent, which should be received by April 23,
1990, should be sent to:
     
Dr. Michael S. Backenheimer
Acting Director, Office of Extramural Program Review
National Institute on Drug Abuse
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 10-42
Rockville, MD  20857
     
The signed original and 6 permanent, legible copies of the completed
application should be sent to:
     
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
     
Consequences of Late Submission - Applications received after May 23, 1990,
will not be considered for review.
     
Review Process
     
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for receipt of
applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.  Applications received
under this RFA will be assigned to an Initial Review Group (IRG) in accordance
with established PHS Referral Guidelines.  The IRGs, consisting primarily of
non-Federal scientific and technical experts, will review the applications for
scientific and technical merit.  Notification of the review recommendations
will be sent to the applicant after the initial review.  Applications will
receive a second-level review by the National Advisory Council on Drug Abuse
whose review may be based on policy considerations as well as scientific
merit.  Only applications recommended for approval by the Council may be
considered for funding.
     
Contact for the following person for further information:
     
Frank M. Tims, Ph.D.
Deputy Chief, Treatment Research Branch
Division of Clinical Research, NIDA
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 10A-20
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4060

AIDS CLINICAL TRIAL INFRASTRUCTURE COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT FOR MINORITY
INSTITUTIONS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  90-AI-04
     
P.T. 34, FF; K.W. 0715008, 0755015, 0404000, 0403004
     
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
     
Letter of Intent:  March 23, 1990
Application Receipt Date:  April 26, 1990
     
The Division of AIDS, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
(NIAID), invites minority institutions (institutions that have more than 50
percent minority student enrollment and that award an M.D., D.D.S., D.V.M., or
other doctoral degree in the health professions) to submit applications for
cooperative agreements to support the establishment of an AIDS Clinical Trial
infrastructure for the purpose of increasing the participation of
underrepresented minority populations (i.e., Blacks, Hispanics, Native
Americans, Asian/Pacific Islanders or women) in AIDS Clinical Trials Group
(ACTG) studies.
     
I. BACKGROUND INFORMATION
     
Infection with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and the Acquired
Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) constitute a profound and increasing health
problem for minority populations.  Recent epidemiologic data indicate that
minorities suffer disproportionately from AIDS.  Blacks account for 27 percent
of all adult cases of AIDS and 52 percent of pediatric cases, while Hispanics
account for 15 percent of all adult cases and 23 percent of the pediatric

              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990 - Page 6
cases, yet these groups comprise only 12 and 8 percent, respectively, of the
population in the United States.
     
Since the initial recognition of AIDS in the early 1980s, NIAID has been fully
committed to the struggle against this disease.  This commitment has been
characterized by the evolution of a multicenter network of institutions
designated as the AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) which is opening new
avenues in evaluating therapies and methods to restore immune function and to
treat opportunistic infections associated with AIDS.  Although considerable
progress has been made in bringing ACTG research to many individuals with HIV
infection, there has been insufficient progress in bringing these studies to
minorities.
     
The purpose of this Request for Applications (RFA) is to provide a period of
support of 3 years for minority institutions to establish an AIDS Clinical
Trials Unit infrastructure and to acquire sufficient expertise in clinical
trials for successful submission of a cooperative agreement to participate in
AIDS Clinical Trials Group research.
     
II.  MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
     
Support will be provided through competitively awarded cooperative agreements.
NIAID has set aside $3,632,000 in total costs for the initial year's funding
to minority institutions.  The NIAID plans to fund between 4 and 5 awards from
this announcement.  The starting date for the initial annual period will be on
or before September 1990.  Awards will be made for a period of 3 years with
yearly evaluation involving competent consultants.  Awardees are expected to
develop an infrastructure and capabilities for AIDS Clinical Trials research
and to submit a competitive grant application by the thirtieth month of
operations under the award mechanism for conduct of AIDS Clinical Trials
research.
     
III.  RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
     
The long-term objective of this RFA is to increase the involvement of
underrepresented minority populations in AIDS Clinical Trials.  The immediate
goal is to provide funding to:
     
  o  Plan and develop an AIDS Clinical Trial Unit infrastructure.
     
  o  Acquire the necessary expertise in clinical trials needed for the
     successful submission of a cooperative agreement to participate in
     the ACTG.
     
  o  Acquire the administrative and scientific training and skills,
     through substantial interaction with NIAID staff, to participate in
     AIDS Clinical Trials research.
     
  o  Recruit professional and support staff.
     
  o  Renovate existing structures or rent space, at a cost to be
     approved by NIAID, for provision of suitable facilities for conduct
     of AIDS Clinical Trials research.  NOTE:  Funds will not be
     provided to establish new facilities (e.g., new virology or
     immunology laboratories).
     
  o  Purchase of equipment, at a cost to be approved by NIAID, for AIDS
     Clinical Trials research.
     
  o  Support travel and training activities related to AIDS Clinical
     Trials research.
     
Long-term goals are to:
     
  o  Encourage the participation of minority institutions and minority
     investigators in ACTG research and provide a basis for involving
     underrepresented populations in AIDS Clinical Trials studies.
     
  o  Increase the scientific base of understanding the unique social and
     medical issues related to AIDS in minority populations.
     
  o  Increase the understanding of the potential for adverse drug
     reactions in minority intravenous drug using patient populations.

     

     
              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990 - Page 7
IV.   INQUIRIES
     
Details of this RFA will be available by March 2, 1990.  Inquiries concerning
this announcement are encouraged and should be directed to:
     
George W. Counts, M.D.
Chief, Clinical Research Management Branch
Division of AIDS
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
6003 Executive Blvd., Room 207P
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8214

COOPERATIVE MULTICENTER NETWORK OF MATERNAL-FETAL MEDICINE UNITS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  90-HD-04
     
P.T. 34, FF, II; K.W. 0785135, 0775020, 0775025, 0785035, 0745020
     
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
     
Application Receipt Date:  May 22, 1990
     
The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) invites
applications from investigators willing to participate with the NICHD under a
Cooperative Agreement in an ongoing multicenter clinical study designed to
investigate problems in clinical obstetrics, particularly those related to
prevention of low birth weight.  The objective of this study is to facilitate
resolution of these problems by establishing a network of centers that, by
using common protocols, can provide answers more rapidly than individual
centers acting alone.
     
Applicants are encouraged to include minorities among study populations.  If
minorities are not included, a clear rationale for their exclusion should be
provided.
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
The funding mechanism to be used to assist the scientific community in
undertaking this system of clinical investigation will be a Cooperative
Agreement between the participating units and NICHD.  The major difference
between a Cooperative Agreement and a research grant is that there will be
substantial programmatic involvement of NICHD staff above and beyond the
levels required for traditional program management of grants.  It is
anticipated that 8-10 meritorious applications will be funded.
     
APPLICATIONS PROCEDURE
     
Applications must be submitted on form PHS 398 (revised 10/88).
     
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
     
Potential applicants are encouraged to request a detailed request for
application by telephoning:
     
Donald McNellis, M.D.
Special Assistant for Obstetrics
Pregnancy and Perinatology Branch
Center for Research for Mothers and Children
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 643
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5575

COOPERATIVE MULTICENTER NETWORK OF NEONATAL INTENSIVE CARE UNITS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  90-HD-01
     
P.T. 34, FF, II; K.W. 0775020, 0775025, 0411005, 0710030, 0785035
     
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
     
Application Receipt Date:  May 22, 1990
     
The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) invites
applications from investigators willing to participate with the NICHD under a
     
              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990 - Page 8
Cooperative Agreement in an ongoing multicenter clinical study designed to
investigate the safety and efficacy of treatment and management strategies
used to care for infants in Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICU).  The
objective of this study is to facilitate resolution of these problems by
establishing a network of centers that, by using common protocols, can provide
answers more rapidly than individual centers acting alone.
     
Applicants are encouraged to include females and minorities among study
populations.  If minorities or females are not included, a clear rationale for
their exclusion should be provided.
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
The funding mechanism to be used to assist the scientific community in
undertaking these clinical trials will be a Cooperative Agreement between the
participating units and NICHD.  The major difference between a Cooperative
Agreement and a research grant is that there will be substantial programmatic
involvement of NICHD staff above and beyond the levels required for
traditional program management of grants.  It is anticipated that 8-10
meritorious applications will be funded.
     
APPLICATIONS PROCEDURE
     
Applications must be submitted on form PHS 398 (Revised 10/88).
     
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
     
Potential applicants are encouraged to request a detailed request for
application by telephoning:
     
Linda L. Wright, M.D.
Special Assistant to the Director
Center for Research for Mothers and Children
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 643
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0430

CINICAL DIAGNOSTIC STUDIES OF BRAIN TUMOR USING PET AND OTHER IMAGING
MODALITIES
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  90-CA-12
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0705010, 0745020, 0706030, 0765020, 0760045
     
National Cancer Institute
     
Application Receipt Date:  May 18, 1990
     
The Radiation Research Program (RRP), Division of Cancer Treatment (DCT), of
the National Cancer Institute (NCI), announces the availability of a Request
For Applications (RFA) to advance diagnostic clinical research using PET and
other imaging modalities in evaluating essential features of brain tumor
metabolism to improve our knowledge of tumor growth, patient therapy, patient
prognosis and management.
     
Advances in the last decade in imaging and imaging-related technology have
permitted more precise anatomic/pathologic diagnosis and also are providing
functional information.  These advances potentially extend the capacity of
imaging method from its customary role of anatomic diagnosis with inferred
function to direct observation of physiologic and pathophysiologic phenomena
and are the direct result of the technological development and clinical use of
positron emission tomography (PET), magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS),
radiolabeled monoclonal antibodies, and other imaging modalities.  In view of
successes of PET, MRS, and other modalities in providing significant
functional information about normal and malignant tissues in vivo, clinical
study of brain tumor metabolism become not only possible but timely.
     
The overall objective of this RFA is to advance the use of PET, MRS,
radiolabeled monoclonal antibodies and other modalities to evaluate essential
features of brain tumor metabolism, improve our knowledge of tumor growth,
determine effects of therapy, and follow patients prognosis and management.
Stated in other words, the aim of this RFA is to improve our understanding of
pathophysiology of brain function in patients with primary brain tumors using
PET and other radiographic methods at diagnosis and during the course of
therapy.
     
              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990 - Page 9
Where feasible and appropriate, applications for the proposed clinical studies
should include a suitable representation of minorities and women.  If the
applicant cannot comply, a clear rationale for their exclusion must be
provided.
     
It is anticipated that approximately three or possibly four scientifically
meritorious applications can be funded.
     
The label available with the 10/88 revision of application 398 must be affixed
the bottom of the face page.  Failure to use this label could result in
delayed processing of your application such that it may not reach the review
committee in time for review.  In addition, the RFA number and title should be
typed on line 2 of the face page of the application form.
     
Request for copies of the complete RFA should be addressed to:
     
Dr. Matti Al-Aish, Acting Chief
Diagnostic Imaging Research Branch
Radiation Research Program
National Cancer Institute
National Institutes of Health
Executive Plaza North/Suite 800
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-9531

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

SHORT-TERM TRAINING FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS IN ENVIRONMENTAL/OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH
     
P.T. 44; K.W. 0725005, 0725020, 0720005
     
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
     
Application Receipt Date:  May 10, 1990
     
The purpose of this announcement is to solicit applications for short-term
training of medical students in disciplines related to environmental and
occupational medicine.  Two types of mechanisms are available.
     
Medical schools at which there is a currently active National Institute of
Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) Institutional Training Grant (T32) may
submit a supplemental application to support 3-5 medical students for summer
or off-term research.  The period of support may not exceed three months.
Those programs for which a competitive renewal application is due may
incorporate such positions into the renewal.  After this initial round,
requests for short-term training may be submitted only at the time of
competitive renewal.
     
Medical schools that do not currently have an NIEHS Institutional Training
Grant but that have ongoing basic and/or clinical research activities in areas
related to environmental/occupational health may apply for a National Research
Service Award for Short-Term Training (T35) to support 3-5 students per year
as described above.
     
For additional information and special instructions, contact:
     
Dr. Annette Kirshner
Scientific Programs Branch
Division of Extramural Research and Training
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
P. O. Box 12233
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Telephone:  (919) 541-0488

RESEARCH ON THE RECOGNITION, MANAGEMENT, AND PREVENTION OF ALCOHOL PROBLEMS IN
A PRIMARY HEALTH CARE SETTING
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404003, 0745027, 0730050
     
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
     
PURPOSE
     
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) is seeking
research grant applications that propose to study issues related to the
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990 - Page 10
recognition, management, and prevention of alcohol problems in a primary care
setting.
     
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
     
Included in this initiative are studies of strategies for screening for
alcohol problems in primary care; techniques for early intervention in
high-risk groups or for brief interventions in individuals with alcohol
problems; routine preventive interventions for young people; and methods for
training primary care health providers to identify, intervene with, and manage
the care of patients who have actual or potential alcohol problems.
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
The mechanisms of support to be applied for this announcement are the
traditional research project (RO1), small grants (RO3), and the First
Independent Research Support and Transition Award (R29).  Support may be
requested for a period of up to 5 years (renewable for subsequent periods).
Annual awards will be made subject to continued availability of funds and
progress achieved.  A competing continuation (i.e., renewal) application may
be submitted before the end of an approved period of support to continue a
project.
     
ELIGIBILITY
     
Applications for alcohol research grants may be made by public or private
non-rofit or for-profit organizations, such as universities, colleges,
hospitals, laboratories, units of State or local governments, and eligible
agencies of the Federal Government.  Women and minority investigators are
encouraged to apply.
     
INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN STUDY POPULATIONS
     
Applicants are urged to give added attention (where feasible and appropriate)
to the inclusion of women and minorities in study populations.
     
APPLICATION PROCESS
     
Applicants should use the grant application form PHS 398 (Rev.  10/88).  The
title of this announcement, "Recognition, Management, and Prevention of
Alcohol Problems in a Primary Health Care Setting," should be typed in item
number 2 on the face page of the PHS 398 application form.  Page limits and
limits on size of type are strictly enforced.  Non-conforming applications
will be returned without being reviewed.
     
Application kits containing the necessary forms and instructions (PHS 398) may
be obtained from business offices or offices of sponsored research at most
universities, colleges, medical schools, and other major research facilities.
If such a source is not available, the following office may be contacted for
the necessary application material:
     
National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
P.O. Box 2345
Rockville, MD  20852
Telephone:  (301) 468-2600
     
The signed original and six permanent, legible copies of the completed
application should be sent to:
     
Division of Research Grants, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
     
REVIEW PROCESS
     
The Division of Research Grants, NIH, serves as a central point for receipt of
applications for most discretionary PHS grant programs.  Applications received
under this announcement will be assigned to an Initial Review Group (IRG) in
accordance with established PHS Referral Guidelines.  The IRGs, consisting
primarily of non-Federal scientific and technical experts, will review the
applications for scientific and technical merit.  Notification of the review
recommendations will be sent to the applicant after the initial review.
Applications will receive a second-level review by an appropriate National
Advisory Council, whose review may be based on policy as well as scientific
merit considerations.  Only applications recommended for approval by the IRG
and Council may be considered for funding.

     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990 - Page 11
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance, No.
13.272.  Grants will be awarded under the authority of Sections 301 and 510 of
the Public Health Service Act, as amended (42 USC 241 amd 290bb) and
administered in accordance with the PHS Grants Policy Statement and Federal
Regulations at 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.
     
Applications submitted in response to this announcement are not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372, as implemented
through Department of Health and Human Services regulations at 45 CFR Part
100, and are not subject to Health Systems Agency review.
     
REVIEW CRITERIA
     
Criteria to be used in the merit review of alcohol research grant applications
will include the following:
     
  1. The overall scientific and technical merit of the proposal and the
     adequacy of the methodology to carry out the proposed research.
     
  2. The adequacy of the design for collection and analysis of data,
     including research schematics, detailed analytic plans, and
     proposed instrumentation.
     
  3. The potential of the research findings to enhance outcome success
     rates in applied prevention and treatment settings.
     
  4. The adequacy of the qualifications (including level of education
     and training) and relevant research experience of the principal
     investigator and key research personnel.
     
  5. The quality of the applicant's past and present research
     performance as related to the proposed project.
     
  6. The availability of adequate facilities, general environment for
     the conduct of the proposed research, other resources, and
     collaborative arrangements necessary for the research.
     
  7. The reasonableness of budget estimates for the proposed research
     activities.
     
  8. Where applicable, the adequacy of procedures to protect or minimize
     effects on human subjects.
     
  9. The demonstration of cultural sensitivity, appropriate use of
     minority staff, and theoretical consideration of minority issues in
     the research design.
     
AWARD CRITERIA AND AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS
     
Applications recommended for approval by a National Advisory Council will be
considered for funding on the basis of the overall scientific and technical
merits of the proposal as determined by peer review, program needs and
balance, and the availability of funds.
     
In Fiscal Year 1991, it is estimated that approximately $500,000 to $700,000
will be available to support approximately 3 to 5 new awards under this
announcement.  However, the amount of funding available will depend on
appropriated funds and program priorities at the time of award.
     
INQUIRIES
     
Potential applicants are encouraged to seek preapplication consultation and to
contact the individual listed below when preparing an application under this
announcement.  Direct inquiries to:
     
Jacqueline Wallen, Ph.D.
Project Officer, Treatment Research Branch
Division of Clinical and Prevention Research, NIAAA
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 16C-03
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-0796
     
**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS THE
CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.  APPLICANTS WHO
USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S
REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD
BUILDING IS:  5333 Westbard Avenue, Bethesda, MD  20816
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 9, March 2, 1990 - Page 12