Subject: (Copy) NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 90 08:13 EST

Good Morning Paul,
   Please post this to the listserver as: NIHGUIDE.030990.
Thanks.  Have a nice weekend.
                             Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
     
X-comment: NIH Guide (including TOC) contained 12 pages (960 lines)
X-comment: RFAs described:  90-NR-01, 90-HD-06, 90-DK-07
     
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990

                                   NOTICES

IMPLEMENTATION OF NEW RESTRICTIONS ON LOBBYING REGARDING GRANTS AND
COOPERATIVE AGREEMENTS .................................(84/230)............. 1
National Institutes of Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
        ALCOHOL, DRUG ABUSE, AND MENTAL HEALTH ADMINISTRATION

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

HUMAN X CHROMOSOME COSMID MAPPING (Statement of Capabilities) ..(244/289).... 3
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE

HUMAN X CHROMOSOME MAPPING WITH YEAST ARTIFICIAL CHROMOSOMES
(Statement of Capabilities) ................................(292/340)........ 3
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE

MICROMACHINED INTRACORTICAL RECORDING ELECTRODE ARRAYS (RFP) ..(343/378)..... 4
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE

BIOMATERIALS FOR INSULATION OF IMPLANTABLE, MICROMACHINED,
ELECTRONICALLY ACTIVE ELECTRODES (RFP) ......................(381/414)....... 4
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS AND STROKE

EFFICACY TRIAL OF AN ACELLULAR PERTUSSIS (RFP) ..............(417/465)....... 5
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES

ANIMAL MODELS OF HUMAN VIRAL INFECTIONS FOR EVALUATION OF
EXPERIMENTAL THERAPEUTICS (RFP) .............................(468/508)....... 5
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES

RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION ON COMMUNITY-BASED RURAL HEALTH CARE MODELS
FOR MINORITY POPULATIONS (RFA 90-NR-01) ..............(511/659, 964/1375).... 6
National Center for Nursing Research
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
Health Resources and Services Administration
Index:  NURSING RESEARCH, HEALTH CARE POLICY, HEALTH CARE RESEARCH,
        HEALTH RESOURCES, HEALTH SERVICES

FUNCTIONAL TESTS OF NUTRITIONAL STATUS IN PREGNANT WOMEN, INFANTS,
AND CHILDREN (RFA 90-HD-06) ..........................(662/750, 1378/1627)... 8
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Index:  CHILD HEALTH, HUMAN DEVELOPMENT

CYSTIC FIBROSIS CORE CENTER GRANT (RFA 90-DK-07) .....(753/916).............. 9
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES

     

     
                                   NOTICES

IMPLEMENTATION OF NEW RESTRICTIONS ON LOBBYING REGARDING GRANTS AND
COOPERATIVE AGREEMENTS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1014004, 1014006
     
National Institutes of Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
     
The purpose of this notice is to update the information on this subject
published in the December 15, 1989 edition of the NIH GUIDE FOR GRANTS AND
CONTRACTS (Vol.  18, No. 44).
     
BACKGROUND
     
Section 319 of Public Law 101-121, which was signed October 23, 1989 by the
President, amends Title 31, United States Code, by adding a new Section 1352,
entitled "Limitation on use of appropriated funds to influence certain Federal
contracting and financial transactions."
     
Section 1352 generally prohibits recipients of Federal grants, cooperative
agreements, contracts, and loans from using Federal (appropriated) funds for
lobbying the Executive or Legislative Branches of the Federal Government in
connection with a SPECIFIC grant, cooperative agreement, contract, or loan.
Section 1352 also requires that each person who requests or receives a Federal
grant, cooperative agreement, contract, or loan must disclose lobbying
undertaken with non-Federal (non-appropriated) funds.  These requirements
apply to (1) grants, cooperative agreements, and contracts EXCEEDING $100,000
(total costs), and (2) a loan, or a Federal commitment to insure or guarantee
a loan, exceeding $150,000.
     
The information furnished in this notice relates SOLELY to grants and
cooperative agreements.  The requirements for contracts have been made part of
the contractual document itself.
     
IMPLEMENTATION OF REQUIREMENTS
     
On December 20, 1989, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) issued
"interim final guidance" in the FEDERAL REGISTER (Vol.  54, No. 243) for
governmentwide implementation of, and compliance with, the requirements of
Section 1352.  A few of the major points in the OMB guidance are:
     
  o  The guidance is effective December 23, 1989.
     
  o  The requirements apply to ALL "Persons" (foreign and domestic)
     defined as "an individual, corporation, company, association,
     authority, firm, partnership, society, State, and local government,
     regardless of whether such entity is operated for profit or not for
     profit."  An Indian tribe or other Indian organization is EXCLUDED
     from this term.
     
  o  Although "lobbying" is NOT defined, the term "influencing or
     attempting to influence" means "making, with the intent to
     influence, any communication to or appearance before an officer or
     employee of any agency, a Member of Congress, an officer or
     employee of Congress, or an employee of a Member of Congress in
     connection with any covered Federal action" (grant, cooperative
     agreement, contract, loan and "the extension, continuation,
     renewal, amendment, or modification" thereto).
     
  o  There are two types of requirements in connection with a particular
     grant or cooperative agreement:
     
          1.  Prohibited is (a) use of APPROPRIATED funds to pay
          lobbyists; and (b) use of APPROPRIATED funds by grantees to
          INFLUENCE the awarding of a specific grant or cooperative
          agreement.
     
          2.  Disclosure concerning payments to lobbyists with
          NON-APPROPRIATED funds.
     
  o  The prohibition on the use of appropriated funds DOES NOT APPLY TO:
     
          1.  Reasonable compensation to an applicant's EMPLOYEE for
          "agency and legislative liaison activities" NOT DIRECTLY
          RELATED to a specific grant or cooperative agreement.
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990 - Page 1
          2.  Reasonable payment to an applicant's EMPLOYEE or OTHER
          INDIVIDUAL for "professional or technical services" rendered
          DIRECTLY in the preparation, submission, or negotiation of an
          application for a grant or cooperative agreement, or for
          meeting requirements imposed by law.
     
Traditional interaction of investigators and other grantee organization
personnel with NIH and ADAMHA program officials and grants management staff
continue to be ALLOWABLE communications.  Some EXAMPLES of such interaction
are:  technical discussions concerning the investigator's particular science
area(s); reporting of scientific progress on existing awards; information or
scientific discoveries germane to continuation of such awards; and inquiry
concerning the "peer review" and/or "funding" status of grant or cooperative
agreement applications.
     
UNALLOWABLE communications include those, when supported by FEDERAL funds,
that argue for approval or advocate funding of the grant or cooperative
agreement application.  Disclosure of payments to lobbyists supported by
NON-FEDERAL funds are to be reported on Standard Form LLL, "Disclosure of
Lobbying Activities," as described below.
     
ISSUANCE OF GRANTS AND COOPERATIVE AGREEMENTS
     
The current application forms PHS 398 and 2590 (Revised 10/88, Reprinted 9/89)
will undergo a general revision prior to their current expiration date of
3/31/91.  In addition, application form PHS 5161-1 (Revised 3/89) will undergo
a general revision prior to its current expiration date of 9/30/91.  The new
restrictions on lobbying will be part of the forms revision.  However, until
that occurs, following are INTERIM procedures addressing the lobbying
assurance.
     
Beginning December 23, 1989, the CERTIFICATION REGARDING LOBBYING must be
completed and returned to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) or the
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA) awarding
component before a grant or cooperative agreement award EXCEEDING $100,000
(total costs) may be issued.  Standard Form LLL, "Disclosure Form to Report
Lobbying," IF REQUIRED, must be filed according to its instructions.
     
Applicant organizations submitting grant and cooperative agreement
applications to the NIH and ADAMHA should submit the CERTIFICATION REGARDING
LOBBYING and Standard Form LLL, "Disclosure Form to Report Lobbying," IF
REQUIRED, with ALL applications.  Both the CERTIFICATION REGARDING LOBBYING
and DISCLOSURE FORM are found at the end of the printed edition of the NIH
GUIDE FOR GRANTS AND CONTRACTS.
     
For grant and cooperative agreement application purposes, PLEASE REPRODUCE THE
CERTIFICATION and attach it, COMPLETED AND SIGNED, to the application as
follows:
     
  o  Behind the CHECKLIST page, for competing applications (Form PHS
     398);
     
  o  Behind the APPLICATION FACE page, for noncompeting continuation
     applications (Form PHS 2590);
     
  o  Behind the Assurances-Non-Construction Programs page, Standard Form
     424B, for both competing and noncompeting continuation applications
     (Form 5161-1).
     
For grant and cooperative agreement application purposes, PLEASE REPRODUCE THE
DISCLOSURE FORM, and attach it, COMPLETED AND SIGNED, IF REQUIRED, to the
application in the same manner as immediately above.
     
The following procedure applies ONLY to those applications that have been
submitted prior to this notice:
     
     Upon being informed by the NIH or ADAMHA awarding component that a
     grant or cooperative agreement award IS LIKELY TO BE ISSUED,
     grantee organizations may send the CERTIFICATION and DISCLOSURE
     FORM, IF REQUIRED, to that awarding component.

     

     

     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990 - Page 2
                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

HUMAN X CHROMOSOME COSMID MAPPING
     
REQUEST FOR STATEMENT OF CAPABILITIES:  NIH-NINDS-90-001
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1002058, 1002008
     
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
     
The Section of Receptor Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Laboratory of
Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology, National Institute of Neurological
Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), National Institutes of Health (NIH), is seeking
to identify organizations capable of providing support for a large-scale DNA
sequencing project.  The overall goal of the project is to determine the
sequence of a set of overlapping cosmid clones comprising the human chromosome
region Xq27.3-Xq28.  Please note that the goal of any proposed contract will
not be to develop a contiguous sequence for the region.  Specific support
needed will be in the area of cosmid cloning and mapping.  The offeror is
required to demonstrate the ownership of a preexisting set of cosmids which
comprise a 3-4 fold coverage of the Xq27.3-Xq28 region and can provide a
single set of ordered, minimally overlapping cosmids of the Xq27.3-Xq28
region.  The Government will provide overlapping yeast artificial chromosome
(YAC) clones mapped to the region to facilitate cosmid contig development.
Additional restriction mapping of the cosmid DNA will be required.  Offerors
must demonstrate expertise in molecular genetics and X chromosome cosmid
cloning by submitting reprints/preprints of prior work in this field.
     
THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS (RFP).  The Government does not intend to
award a contract on the basis of responses to this announcement nor to make
payment for preparation of any information which may be submitted.  Upon
receipt of qualified responses to this request, the NINDS plans to announce
and issue an RFP and qualified sources will be furnished a copy.  If qualified
responses are not received, no RFP will be issued.  Acknowledgement will not
be made by the Government of receipt of responses, nor will respondents be
notified of the Government's evaluation of information submitted.
     
Capability statements which address the aforementioned requirements should be
identified with NIH-NINDS-90-001 and must be received by no later than 3:30
p.m. local time on March 27, 1990.  Five copies of your response are to be
submitted to:
     
Eileen D. Webster
Contracts Management Branch
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH
Federal Building, Room 901
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892

HUMAN X CHROMOSOME MAPPING WITH YEAST ARTIFICIAL CHROMOSOMES
     
REQUEST FOR STATEMENT OF CAPABILITIES:  NIH-NINDS-90-002
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 1002058, 1002008
     
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
     
The Section of Receptor Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Laboratory of
Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology, National Institute of Neurological
Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), National Institutes of Health (NIH), is seeking
to identify organizations capable of providing support for a large-scale DNA
sequencing project.  The overall goal of the project is to determine the
sequence of a set of overlapping cosmid clones comprising the human chromosome
region Xq27.3-Xq28.  Please note that the goal of any proposed contract will
not be to determine the sequence of Yeast Artificial Chromosome (YAC) clones.
Specific support needed will be in the area of YAC cloning and mapping.  An
ordered library of YAC clones are needed to meet the objective of sequencing
this region.  The YAC library will be used to help assemble an ordered set of
cosmids for the specified region.  The offeror is required to demonstrate the
possession of preexisting YAC clones from the Xq27.3-Xq28 region that provide
partial or full coverage of the region and can demonstrate the ability to
complete a library of ordered YAC clones that form a contig for the
Xq27.3-Xq28 region.  Offerors must demonstrate expertise in molecular genetics
and X chromosome YAC cloning by submitting reprints/preprints of prior work in
this field.

             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990 - Page 3
THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS (RFP).  The Government does not intend to
award a contract on the basis of responses to this announcement nor to make
payment for preparation of any information which may be submitted.  Upon
receipt of qualified responses to this request, the NINDS plans to announce
and issue an RFP and qualified sources will be furnished a copy.  If qualified
responses are not received, no RFP will be issued.  Acknowledgement will not
be made by the Government of receipt of responses, nor will respondents be
notified of the Government's evaluation of information submitted.
     
Capability statements which address the aforementioned requirements should be
identified with NIH-NINDS-90-002 and must be received by no later than 3:30
p.m. local time on March 27, 1990.  Five copies of your response are to be
submitted to:
     
Eileen D. Webster
Contracts Management Branch
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH
Federal Building, Room 901
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892

MICROMACHINED INTRACORTICAL RECORDING ELECTRODE ARRAYS
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NINDS-90-11
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0706010, 0706000
     
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
     
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH, has a
requirement for the design, fabrication and testing of multiple-electrode
intracortical recording probes and related structures.  Probes that contain
integrated circuit electronics to amplify and multiplex the spike waveforms
from different microelectrode recording sites must be fabricated and tested.
Protection of the probe electronics in a saltwater environment must be
demonstrated in vitro using functioning (electrically stressed) active probes.
Test probes to evaluate long-term insulation stability at the probe-cable
interface and electrode systems with ribbon cables must be developed,
fabricated, and made available to other researchers for evaluation and
experimentation.
     
It is anticipated that one award will be made for a period of three years.
     
This is not a Request for Proposals (RFP).  RFP No. NIH-NINDS-90-11 will be
available after March 15, 1990.  Responses will be due by close of business
May 14, 1990.  To receive a copy of the RFP, please submit a written request
to the following address, and supply this office with two self-addressed
mailing labels.  All responsible sources shall be considered by the agency.
     
Contracting Officer
Contracts Management Branch, DEA
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH
Federal Building, Room 901
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
     
Attention:  RFP No. NIH-NINDS-90-11

BIOMATERIALS FOR INSULATION OF IMPLANTABLE, MICROMACHINED, ELECTRONICALLY
ACTIVE ELECTRODES
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NINDS-90-10
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0750005, 0706000, 0740050
     
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
     
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH, has a
requirement for development and evaluation of insulating, thin-film coating
systems for neural prosthetic implants that will be implanted in the central
nervous system.  This will involve the development and evaluation of methods
and materials to insulate two conductors that will form a connecting cable to
a microprobe and the insulation of the interface area between this connecting
cable and the probe.
     
It is anticipated that one award will be made for a period of three years.
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990 - Page 4
This is not a Request for Proposals (RFP).  RFP No. NIH-NINDS-90-10 will be
available after March 15, 1990.  Responses will be due by close of business
May 14, 1990.  To receive a copy of the RFP, please submit a written request
and two self-addressed mailing labels to the following address.  All
responsible sources shall be considered by the agency.
     
Contracting Officer
Contracts Management Branch, DEA
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH
Federal Building, Room 901
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
     
Attention:  RFP No. NIH-NINDS-90-10

EFFICACY TRIAL OF AN ACELLULAR PERTUSSIS
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  RFP-NIH-NIAID-DMID-90-30
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0740075, 0755015
     
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
     
The solicitation is divided into two parts.  Part 1 is a request for a
proposal for a feasibility statement and a developmental plan which, in six
months time, would allow the successful offerors to submit a detailed proposal
for a clinical trial to demonstrate the safety and efficacy of acellular
pertussis vaccines.  Part 1 addresses the basic, but essential criteria and
qualifications needed to properly conduct a Phase III efficacy trial to
compare one or more acellular pertussis vaccines to a whole cell product.
Part 2 of the solicitation is a request for a proposal that details the
conduct of a clinical trial of candidate acellular pertussis vaccines.  It is
important to note that at this time, each offeror only needs to respond to
Part 1.  The U.S. Government recognizes that information gathered under Part 1
may be required to implement an optimal response to Part 2.  However, in
responding to Part 1 the offeror should take into consideration the
requirements specified in Part 2.  Sucessful offerors will be given 6 months
to obtain information for the development of a proposal for Part 2.  Only
those sucessful Part 1 offerors will be eligible to submit a proposal for Part
2.  Substantial assistance from representatives of the U.S. Public Health
Service to help design an optimal study for performing a Phase III randomized,
double-blind efficacy trial in infants will be available to all successful
Part 1 offerors.  Six months post award, the sucessful Part 1 offerors will
have the option of submitting a proposal in response to Part 2.  Both Part 1
and Part 2 proposals will be reviewed by a panel of experts.  Multiple awards
may be issued for Part 1 and Part 2.  The Institute expects to make three
awards for Part 1.
     
The issuance of the RFP will be on or about March 2, 1990, and responses will
be due by the close of business on May 4, 1990.
     
Any responsible offeror may submit a proposal for Part 1 will be considered by
the Government.
     
Request for the RFP should be directed to:
     
Ms. Rosemary McCabe Hamill
Contracting Officer
Contract Management Branch
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIH
Westwood Building, Room 707
Bethesda, MD  20892
     
Please provide this office with two self-addressed mailing labels.

ANIMAL MODELS OF HUMAN VIRAL INFECTIONS FOR EVALUATION OF EXPERIMENTAL
THERAPEUTICS
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  RFP-NIH-NIAID-DMID-91-2
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0755020, 0715125, 0710075
     
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
     
The Antiviral Research Branch of the Division of Microbiology and Infectious
Diseases of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases has a
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990 - Page 5
requirement to obtain animal model systems to evaluate the clinical potential
of experimental therapeutic agents for the treatment of human viral infectious
diseases and to facilitate the entry of these drugs into clinical trials.
     
The Contractor should demonstrate the capability to provide a model system(s)
which has features similar to the corresponding infection in humans.  The
successful offeror should demonstrate the pathologic and immunologic aspects
of the model in association with virus infection, and the utility of this
model to evaluate clinical effectiveness of experimental therapeutics.
     
The issuance of the RFP will be on March 1, 1990.  Responses are due by close
of business on June 8, 1990.  It is expected that the contract will be awarded
for five years.  Approximately six awards are anticipated.
     
Requests for this RFP should be directed to:
     
Ms. Ann Linkins
Contract Specialist
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Contract Management Branch
Westwood Building/Room 707
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
     
To receive a copy of this RFP, please supply this office with two (2)
self-addressed labels.  Please reference RFP-NIH-NIAID-DMID-91-2.
     
This advertisement does not commit the Government to award a contract.

RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION ON COMMUNITY-BASED RURAL HEALTH CARE MODELS FOR
MINORITY POPULATIONS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  90-NR-01
     
P.T. 34, FF; K.W. 0730050, 0403004
     
National Center for Nursing Research
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
Health Resources and Services Administration
     
Application Receipt Date:  June 15, 1990
     
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
     
The purpose of this initiative is to refine, implement, and study replicable
community-based nursing practice models for providing health care to minority
persons living in rural areas.  These models will examine factors which
influence the quality of patient care, patient outcomes, and access to care
and take into consideration associated cost and benefits.  Each model will
include one or more nursing interventions which could be tested and validated
as a part of this project.  Populations targeted for this effort are limited
to one or more of the following:  persons 65 years or older, childbearing
women, adolescents at risk for early pregnancy, children and infants.
Specific objectives of this initiative are to:
     
o Implement an empirically derived community-based nursing practice model with
specified nursing interventions in such a manner that the quality of patient
care delivered, patient outcomes, the degree of cost effectiveness and its
impact on patient outcomes can be determined.
     
o Determine how nursing interventions, as components of the community-based
model, influence the quality, outcomes, and costs of care.
     
o Demonstrate improved methods for expanding access to health care services
for the targeted populations.
     
o Assure the use of relevant research in the refinement of the design,
implementation and examination of the effect of the community-based nursing
practice model(s).
     
o Facilitate the replicability of the model(s) in other community settings
through documentation of the process of model development and implementation
and the dissemination of project outcomes.
     
o Target minority rural-based populations for the provision of health care.
These populations are limited to one or more of the following:  persons 65

             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990 - Page 6
years of age or older, childbearing women, adolescents at risk for early
pregnancy, children and infants.
     
ELIGIBILITY
     
Applicants may be nonprofit organizations and institutions that have
demonstrated expertise in nursing practice and research; that have
demonstrated ability to conduct community-based clinical research projects;
and that have demonstrated capability in developing and managing research and
demonstration projects.  Eligibility is restricted to U.S. institutions.  A
combination of clinical, research, and administrative expertise and commitment
will be necessary at the grantee institution and at the rural study site(s).
     
LENGTH OF SUPPORT
     
It is anticipated that the proposed projects will be five years in length.
The initial year will be devoted to refining the model based on the
presentation in the application and to the collection of base line data.  The
model will be implemented not later than one year after grant award.  Although
this activity is provided for in the financial plans of the National Center
for the Division of Nursing, Health Resources and Services Administration
Nursing Research (NCNR), Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR)
and the Division of Nursing (DN), Agency for Health Care Policy and Research
(AHCPR), funding beyond the first year will be contingent on satisfactory
progress and availability of funds for this purpose.
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
Each award for the community-based nursing practice models for minority
persons in rural areas will be made as a research and demonstration grant.
The start date for funded projects will be approximately September 30, 1990.
A total of $1,500,000 ($600,000 by NCNR, $600,000 by AHCPR, $300,000 by DN) of
Federal funds (for both direct and indirect costs) will be allocated to
support the initial year's awards.  The total number of awards will depend on
quality, scope, and cost of approved applications.
     
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
     
Applicants must address all requirements as presented in this Request for
Applications (RFA).
     
Applications must be received by June 15, 1990.
     
Use application form PHS 398 (rev.  10/88).  This may be secured from the
Office of Grants Inquiries, Division of Research Grants, NIH, Bethesda,
Maryland 20892 (telephone 30l-496-7441) or from institutional grants and
contract offices.
     
Type in bold letters on line 2 of the face page of the application and the
words "RFA 90-NR-01:  NCNR/AHCPR/DN Nursing Rural Model."  The RFA label
contained in the PHS 398 packet must be attached to the bottom of the face
page of the original application.
     
INQUIRIES
     
For further information, guidelines and consultation on program requirements
contact:
     
Dr. Patricia Moritz
Chief, Nursing Systems Branch
National Center for Nursing Research
National Institutes of Health
Building 31, Room 5B09
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0523
     
Dr. Mary S. Hill
Chief, Nursing Education Practice Resources Branch
Division of Nursing, BHPr, HRSA
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 5C14
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6193
     
Dr. Jerry L. Weston
Agency for Health Policy and Research
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 18A19
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-2716
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990 - Page 7
For information regarding budgetary/administrative issues contact:
     
Mrs. Sally A. Nichols
National Center for Nursing Research
National Institutes of Health
Building 31, Room 5B06
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0237
     
These programs are described in the Catalogue of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 13.361:  Nursing Research; No. 13.226:  Health Services Research and
Development Grants; and No. 13,359 Nursing Special Project Grants.  Awards
will be made under the authority of the Public Health Service Act, Sections
301 and 483, as amended by Public Law 99-158; Section 299a as amended by
Public Law 101-239; and Section 820 as amended by Public Law 100-607.  Awards
will be administered under PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations - 42 CFR
Part 52, 45 CFR Part 74 and 42 CFR Part 57, Subpart T. These programs are not
subject to the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372,
or to Health System Agency review.

FUNCTIONAL TESTS OF NUTRITIONAL STATUS IN PREGNANT WOMEN, INFANTS, AND
CHILDREN
     
RFA AVAILABLE: 90-HD-06
     
P.T. 34, AA, II; K.W. 0710095, 0775020, 0765020, 1003002
     
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
     
Application Receipt Date:  June 13, 1990
     
The Endocrinology, Nutrition and Growth Branch of the Center for Research for
Mothers and Children of the National Institute of Child Health and Human
Development (NICHD) invites research grant applications for studies of
functional tests of nutritional status in pregnant women, infants, and
children.  Methods are needed for determining, by minimally invasive means,
the adequacy of nutritional status in relation to nutrient requirements by
measuring biochemical processes in vivo.  By issuing this request for
applications (RFA) the Institute seeks to stimulate investigators' interest in
an area of research important to the Institute's mission.
     
BACKGROUND
     
Frank nutritional deficiencies producing overt clinical disease are no longer
a major public health problem in the United States.  The suboptimal
availability of nutrients, however, can produce a slowing or disruption of
normal growth and development before or after birth.  Most current approaches
to estimating nutrient status are inadequate for the discrimination of
subclinical states of nutrient deprivation.  Blood levels of nutrients such as
trace elements or vitamins may not be sensitive to changes in whole body
content or may not reflect nutrient availability in specific tissues or
particular subcellular sites.  Direct determinations of tissue levels are
likely to require undesirable invasive procedures.  Functional studies, on the
other hand, which measure nutrient-dependent metabolic processes, can indicate
the adequacy of nutrient supply in specific tissues or at specific subcellular
sites.
     
OBJECTIVES AND SCOPE
     
The purpose of this RFA is to stimulate the development of methods for
evaluating the availability of critical nutrients in pregnant women, infants,
and children, by evaluating metabolic processes or reactions which are
dependent on those nutrients.  Methods are sought which would be minimally
invasive, so that they could be used repeatedly for assessment of nutrient
status.  Accurate techniques for use in careful clinical studies and simple
methods appropriate for population screening are needed.  For some nutrients,
animal model studies may be an appropriate first step in method development.
Applications are not limited to studies of micronutrients; for example,
research on methods for determining the adequacy of protein intake as it
affects the accretion of lean body mass in low-birth-weight infants would be
useful, as would tests for the adequacy of assimilation of calcium,
phosphorous, and iron.
     
Investigators are encouraged to include minority groups in their study
populations.

     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990 - Page 8
MECHANISMS OF SUPPORT
     
Applications in response to this RFA will be funded through the traditional
individual research grant (R01) award program of the NICHD.  It is anticipated
that four awards will be made under this RFA.
     
APPLICATION PROCEDURE
     
Applications must be submitted on form PHS-398 (rev.  10/88).  Detailed
instructions for application are available as additional information.
     
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
     
The complete RFA is available from:
     
Ephraim Y. Levin, M.D.
Medical Officer
Endocrinology, Nutrition and Growth Branch
Center for Research for Mothers and Children
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Room 637, Executive Plaza North
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (30l) 496-5593
     
This program is described in the catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
13.865, Research for Mothers and Children.  Awards will be made under the
authority of the Public Health Service Act, Section 301 (42 USC241), and
administered under PHS grant policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52
and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to review by a Health Systems
Agency.

CYSTIC FIBROSIS CORE CENTER GRANT
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  90-DK-07
     
P.T. 04; K.W. 0715165, 0710030
     
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
     
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  May 15, 1990
Application Receipt Date:  July 16, 1990
     
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)
invites applications for a Core Center Grant (P30) in Cystic Fibrosis, to be
awarded in Fiscal Year 1991.
     
BACKGROUND
     
The NIDDK-supported Cystic Fibrosis Research Centers (CFRC) are part of an
integrated program of cystic fibrosis-related research support provided by
NIDDK.  These centers have provided a focus for increasing collaboration and
cost effectiveness among groups of successful investigators at institutions
with established comprehensive cystic fibrosis research bases.  NIDDK supports
four Specialized Centers of Research (P50) and one Core Center Grant (P30) in
Cystic Fibrosis.  NIDDK anticipates receipt of a competing continuation
application from the existing Core Center, and invites other competing
applications for a single Core Center grant to be awarded in Fiscal Year 1991.
     
OBJECTIVES AND SCOPE
     
The objectives of the CFRCs are to bring together investigators from relevant
disciplines in a manner that will enhance and extend the effectiveness of
research related to cystic fibrosis and its complications.  A cystic fibrosis
center must be an identifiable unit within a single university medical center
or a consortium of cooperative institutions, including an affiliated
university.  The overall goal of the CFRC is to bring together on a
cooperative basis clinical and basic science investigators in a manner that
will foster multi-disciplinary research on a central theme related to cystic
fibrosis.  An existing program of excellence in biomedical research in the
area of cystic fibrosis and related metabolic disorders is required.  This
research should be in the form of NIH-funded research projects, program
projects, or other peer-reviewed research that is in existence at the time of
submission of a center application.  Close cooperation, communication, and
collaboration among all involved personnel of all professional disciplines are
ultimate objectives.  Applicants should consult with NIDDK staff concerning
plans for the development of the center.

             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990 - Page 9
A P30 CFRC is based on the core concept.  Cores are defined as shared
resources that enhance productivity or in other ways benefit a group of
investigators working in cystic fibrosis or cystic fibrosis-related areas to
accomplish the stated goals of the center.  Two other types of activites may
also be supported with center funding--a pilot and feasibility program and an
enrichment program.  The pilot and feasibility program provides modest support
for new initiatives or feasibility research studies.  This program is directed
at new or established investigators in other research disciplines where their
expertise may be applied by cystic fibrosis research.  The center grant may
also include limited funds for program enrichment such as seminars, visiting
scientists, consultants, workshops, etc.
     
Investigators should be aware that NIH urges applicants to give added
attention, where feasible and appropriate, to the inclusion of minorities and
women in study populations.  If minorities and/or women are not included in a
given study, a clear rationale for their exclusion should be provided.  Merely
including an arbitrary number of minority group and women participants in a
given study is insufficient to guarantee generalization of results.  An
attempt should be made to obtain the same proportionality as occurs
nationally.
     
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
NIDDK expects to award one P30 CFRC Grant in Fiscal Year 1991 on a competitive
basis.  The receipt of one competitive continuation application is
anticipated, and it will be in competition for the award together with other
applications received in response to this announcement.  Foreign institutions
are not eligible to apply.  The anticipated award will be for five years and
is contingent upon the availability of appropriated funds.  The annual direct
costs requested may not exceed $750,000.  NIDDK anticipates that up to $1.12
million may be available for total costs of this award in FY 1991.
     
REVIEW PROCEDURES
     
Applications for a CFRC grant will be evaluated in national competition by the
NIH grant peer review process.  Applications will be reviewed initially by a
special review committee convened by the NIDDK and subsequently by the
National Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Advisory Council.
     
METHOD OF APPLYING
     
NIDDK Core Center Guidelines:
     
Applicants should request NIDDK Administrative and Review Guidelines for Core
Center Grant Applications.  These guidelines contain important additional
information on the format of applications and review criteria.
     
Letter of Intent:
     
Prospective applicants are encouraged to contact one of the program
administrators indicated below.  A letter of intent is not mandatory and does
not influence the review or funding decisions, but it will enable the NIDDK to
plan the review.  It will also ensure that each potential applicant receives
important supplemental information prior to expending considerable effort in
application preparation.  The letter of intent should include the name(s) of
the principal investigator and principal collaborators, descriptive titles of
the core facilities and pilot/feasibility projects, and the organization(s)
involved.
     
Format for Application:
     
Applications must be submitted using PHS Form 398 (Rev.  10/88) available at
most institutional business offices or from the Division of Research Grants,
NIH, 301/496-7441.  On item 2 of the face page of the application, applicants
should enter:  RFA:  Cystic Fibrosis Core Center Grant, RFA number, 90-DK-07.
The RFA label available in the 10/88 revision of Application Form 398 must be
affixed to the bottom of the face page.  Failure to use this label could
result in delayed processing of the application to the extent that it may not
reach the review committee in time for review.
     
Application Procedure:
     
Applications must be received by July 16, 1990; the original and four copies
of the application should be sent or delivered to:

     

             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990 - Page 10
Application Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD 20892**
     
Two additional copies of the application should be sent to:
     
Review Branch
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 406
Bethesda, MD 20892
     
Timetable:
     
A letter of intent should be submitted no later than May 15, 1990.
Applications must be received by July 16, 1990.  Any applications received
after this date will be considered ineligible for this special solicitation.
     
APPLICATION                                               EARLIEST
RECEIPT DATE      INITIAL REVIEW      COUNCIL REVIEW      START DATE
     
July 16, 1990     Nov/Dec 1990        February 1991       April 1991
     
Inquiries:
     
Inquiries regarding this announcement, the guidelines for structuring a Core
Center Grant project application and method of applying should be directed to
the program administrator:
     
Nancy Lamontagne, Ph.D.
Director, Cystic Fibrosis Program
NIDDK
Westwood Building, Room 607
Bethesda, MD 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-4980

**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS THE
CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.  APPLICANTS WHO
USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S
REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD
BUILDING IS:
     
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20816

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 10, March 9, 1990 - Page 11