Subject: (Copy) NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 90 07:53 EST

Paul,
   This should be the last for today.  Please list it as:
     NIHGUIDE.032390.    Thanks.    dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
     
X-comment: NIH Guide (including TOC) contained 12 pages (960 lines)
X-comment: RFAs described:  90-HL-08-L, MH-90-15, MH-90-13, MH-90-19
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990
     
                                   NOTICES
     
NOTICE OF SOLICITATION OF PUBLIC COMMENTS FOR THE NATIONAL PANEL FOR
RESEARCH IN NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS .......................(84/131)........... 1
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Index:  NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS, STROKE
     
                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)
     
CONTROLLED CLINICAL TRIALS FOR IMPROVED ANTIMICROBIAL THERAPY OF
SYSTEMIC MYCOTIC INFECTIONS (RFP) ........................(137/171).......... 1
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES
     
RFP FOR SUBCONTRACTORS FOR THE LIVER TISSUE PROCUREMENT
DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM (RFP) ................................(174/199).......... 2
National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Index:  DIABETES, DIGESTIVE DISEASES, KIDNEY DISEASES
     
CLINICAL COORDINATING CTR. FOR ASYMPTOMATIC CARDIAC ISCHEMIA PILOT STUDY(RFP).2
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute                 (202/255)
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD
     
ESTABLISHMENT OF AN ACUTE VIRAL RESPIRATORY DISEASES UNIT (RFP) ............. 3
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases     (258/312)
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES
     
PEPTIDE ANTAGONISTS OF LHRH AS GONADOTROPIN INHIBITORS (RFP) ..(321/357)..... 4
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Index:  CHILD HEALTH, HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
     
ENTERIC DISEASES VACCINE AND TREATMENT EVALUATION UNIT (RFP) ..(360/391)..... 4
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES
     
PATHOBIOLOGY OF PNEUMOCYSTIS CARINII IN THE LUNG (RFA 90-HL-08-L) ........... 5
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute              (401/441, 964/1303)
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD
     
RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION GRANTS FOR THE PREVENTION OF YOUTH SUICIDE
AND SUICIDAL BEHAVIOR (RFA MH-90-15) ..................(444/504)............. 5
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH
     
MCKINNEY RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM FOR HOMELESS MENTALLY ILL ADULTS ..... 6
National Institute of Mental Health    (RFA MH-90-14)  (507/548)
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH
     
RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION GRANTS FOR THE PREVENTION OF SERIOUS AND
CHRONIC CONDUCT PROBLEMS (RFA MH-90-13) ...............(561/614)............. 7
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH
     
RESEARCH DEMONSTRATIONS ON EMERGENCY MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES FOR
CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS (RFA MH-90-19) ...............(617/684)............. 7
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH
     
                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS
     
NIAID SMALL GRANTS PROGRAM:  CHANGE OF INITIAL REVIEW GROUP ASSIGNMENT ...... 8
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases  (690/727)
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES
     
RESEARCH ON EFFECTIVENESS AND OUTCOMES OF MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES ..(730/776). 9
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH
     
RESEARCH ON SERVICES FOR PERSONS WITH MENTAL DISORDERS THAT CO-OCCUR
WITH ALCOHOL AND/OR DRUG ABUSE DISORDERS ...............(779/832)............ 9
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH
     
EPIDEMIOLOGIC AND SERVICES RESEARCH DEMONSTRATIONS ON MENTAL DISORDERS
THAT CO-OCCUR WITH DRUG AND/OR ALCOHOL DISORDERS AMONG AMERICAN INDIANS,
ALASKAN NATIVES, AND NATIVE HAWAIIANS ..................(835/923)............10
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH
                                   NOTICES

NOTICE OF SOLICITATION OF PUBLIC COMMENTS FOR THE NATIONAL PANEL FOR RESEARCH
IN NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS
     
P.T. 42; K.W. 0715138, 0705010, 1002030, 0710030
     
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
     
Notice is hereby given that the National Panel of the National Advisory
Neurological Disorders and Stroke Council plans to solicit public comments in
order to increase its knowledge and understanding of the needs and
opportunities for research on brain and nervous system disorders in the 1990s.
Information from scientists, physicians and representatives of interested
organizations and institutions may be shared with the National Panel at the
National Meeting for Research in Neurological Disorders on April 17, 1990,
from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., at the Department of Health and Human
Services, Hubert H. Humphrey Building, Conference Room 800, 200 Independence
Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C.
     
The 1990s have been declared the Decade of the Brain by the President and the
Congress.  The "Decade" will bring into focus the significant opportunities in
neurological research that can be realized through an expanded research
effort.  The Advisory Council of the National Institute of Neurological
Disorders and Stroke has appointed a National Panel to frame a research plan
for the implementation of the Decade of the Brain.  The plan will document
specific research objectives to be achieved, the steps to be initiated to
achieve those objectives, and the resources required to reach the specified
goals.
     
The attendance and the number of presentations during the conference will be
limited to the time and space available.  Thus, all individuals representing
organizations and institutions who wish to make an oral presentation at the
meeting must arrange for a written statement of their testimony to be sent to
Dr. Michael D. Walker, Executive Director, National Panel for Research in
Neurological Disorders.  Statements must be received by Social and Scientific
Systems, Inc., 7101 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 610, Bethesda, Maryland 20814-4805
by 5:00 p.m., April 2, 1990.  Prior notification of those desiring to present
oral testimony would be helpful (complete name, affiliation, address and
telephone number).  Only speakers discussing subjects relevant to research in
neurological disorders will be scheduled.  Each speaker will be limited to 10
minutes to summarize or highlight the written statement.  Those who cannot
attend the meeting but would like to submit a written statement are encouraged
to do so by the April 2 deadline.  All statements may not exceed three pages
but may include limited addenda.
     
For information about the meeting contact:
     
Ms. Johanna McDonough
Telephone:  (301) 986-487

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

CONTROLLLED CLINICAL TRIALS FOR IMPROVED ANTIMICROBIAL THERAPY OF SYSTEMIC
MYCOTIC INFECTIONS
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  RFP-NIH-NIAID-DMID-91-4
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0755015, 0740005, 0715103
     
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
     
The Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases and the Division of
Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome of the National Institute of Allergy and
Infectious Diseases, is soliciting proposals from investigators having the
capabilities and facilities to perform collaborative clinical trials directed
at improving antibiotic therapy of serious disseminated fungal infections of
man.  The clinical research will be performed by an antifungal therapy
clinical trials group comprised of satellite medical institutions coordinated
by the contracting institution.
     
The issuance of the Request for Proposals (RFP) will be on March 30, 1990.
Responses are due by the close of business on April 30, 1990.  It is expected
that the contract will be awarded for five years.  Approximately one (1) award
is anticipated.
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990 - Page 1
To receive a copy of this RFP, please reference RFP-NIH-NIAID-DMID-91-4 and
send two self-addressed mailing labels to:
     
Ms. Ann Linkins
Contract Management Branch
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 707
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
     
This advertisement does not commit the Government to award a contract.

RFP FOR SUBCONTRACTORS FOR THE LIVER TISSUE PROCUREMENT DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH N01-DK-6-2274
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0780020, 0780000
     
National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases
     
The University of Minnesota was awarded a 5-year renewal of the Liver Tissue
Procurement Distribution System (LTPADS) and is now eliciting an announcement
for subcontractors for the next 4 1/2 years.  The purpose of LTPADS is to
provide access to human liver for investigators throughout the United States
in order that they may utilize this tissue for research.  Subcontractors would
provide at least 15-25 "normal" or pathologic livers per year.  If you are
interested in becoming a subcontractor, an RFP proposal will be sent to you.
The due date for the completed RFP will be April 16, 1990.  Final selection
will be made by May 14, 1990, with possible activation by May 29, 1990.
Proposal forms can be obtained from:
     
Harvey L. Sharp, M.D.
Principal Investigator, LTPADS
c/o Elizabeth Webster
Box 279 UMHC
University of Minnesota Hospitals
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455
Telephone:  (612) 624-1133

CLINICAL COORDINATING CENTER FOR ASYMPTOMATIC CARDIAC ISCHEMIA PILOT STUDY
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NHLBI-HV-90-07
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0755015, 0755018, 0715040
     
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
     
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute will do a pilot multicenter
clinical trial to assess the feasibility of and test the methodology required
for a full-scale clinical trial of asymptomatic cardiac ischemia therapies.
The primary objective is to determine the relative efficacy of usual
symptom-guided medical care; stepped ambulatory ECG-directed maximal medical
therapy; and mechanical revascularization to provide freedom from myocardial
ischemia.  Other objectives are to confirm the frequency of asymptomatic
cardiac ischemia in the target patient subgroups, validate current detection
and monitoring systems, and clarify other issues important for a full-scale
clinical trial, such as the availability of patients for randomization and
compliance with assigned treatment.  The study population will consist of a
total of 600 patients with coronary artery disease (CAD) documented by
contrast angiographic and radionuclide studies and who have been identified by
both exercise stress testing and 48-hour ambulatory ECG monitoring:  300
patients with coronary artery disease (CAD) and exertional angina, and 300
patients with asymptomatic CAD.  The Clinical Coordinating Center (CCC) will
work with the investigators from the (10-12) Clinical Units, as well as the
Cardiac Diseases Branch staff, in the development of the final Study Protocol
and the detailed Manual of Operations for the ACIP Study.  Throughout the
study the CCC will be responsible for updating and distributing the Manual of
Operations, and collecting, editing, storing, and analyzing data submitted
from the Clinical Units.  The Clinical Coordinating Center will provide the
means for monitoring performance and quality control of diagnostic procedures
incorporated in the protocol.  The procedures are:  (1) Forty-eight (48) hour
ambulatory ECG monitoring; (2) resting and exercise ECG; (3) radionuclide
scintigraphy (myocardial perfusion and left venticular function); and (4)
contrast angiography and left ventriculography.  One award is anticipated.
This incrementally funded contract will be awarded for 36 months.

             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990 - Page 2
This is not a Request for Proposals.  RFP NHLBI-HV-90-07 will be released on
or about March 10, 1990, with proposals due on or about April 30, 1990.  One
(1) award is anticipated by the Government.  Your written request should
include three (3) labels, self-addressed with your mailing address, and must
cite RFP No. NHLBI-HV-90-07.
     
Request for copies of the RFP should be sent to the following address:
     
Sharon M. Kraft, Contract Specialist
HLVD Contracts Section, Contracts Operations Branch, DEA
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 4C04
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-6838

ESTABLISHMENT OF AN ACUTE VIRAL RESPIRATORY DISEASES UNIT
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  RFP-NIH-NIAID-DMID-91-06
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0705065, 1002045, 0715165, 0765035, 0755015
     
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
     
The Viral Respiratory Diseases Program of the National Institute of Allergy
and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) is seeking an organization to establish an
Acute Viral Respiratory Disease Unit (AVRDU).  The overal goal of the Unit
would be to develop a systematic and centralized approach towards the
understanding of the impact of acute viral respiratory diseases on selective
populations.  Specifically, the AVRDU would:
     
  o  Evaluate the etiology of acute viral respiratory infections in
     selective populations (e.g. infants, asthmatics, elderly, and those
     with other chronic pulmonary diseases).
     
  o  Assess the pathophysiologic impact of the various respiration
     viruses in the above selective populations.
     
  o  Develop improved, rapid diagnostic techniques for selective viral
     respiratory infections.
     
  o  Identify and/or expand the knowledge on the correlates of immunity
     associated with protection against viral respiratory diseases.
     
  o  Perform clinical trials with promising new vaccines or therapies.
     
The NIAID solicits proposals from medical/research institutions qualified to
serve as the sole Contracting Unit or as the Central Unit of a collaborative
group.  The Contractor must have demonstrated capacity to organize and
administer both research and clinical studies.
     
One contract may be awarded as a result of this solicitation.  It is expected
that the contract will have a five-year period of performance.  Any
responsible offeror may submit a proposal which will be considered by the
Government.
     
The issuance date of the RFP will be on or about March 28, 1990; proposals
will be due by the close of business on May 8, 1990.
     
Requests for the RFP should be directed to:
     
Mr. Frank M. Fountain
Contract Specialist
Contract Management Branch
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 707
Bethesda, MD  20892
     
Please provide this office with two (2) self-addressed mailing labels.
     
This advertisement does not commit the Government to award a contract.

     

     
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990 - Page 3
PEPTIDE ANTAGONISTS OF LHRH AS GONADOTROPIN INHIBITORS
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  NICHD-CD-90-15
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0760035, 0760060, 0760025, 1003006
     
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
     
The Contraceptive Development Branch of the Center for Population Research,
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), is
interested in stimulating further investigations into the design, synthesis,
and testing of peptide antagonists of LHRH as gonadotropin inhibitors.  Such
investigations will also involve biological evaluation of the peptides,
preferably by the Contractor.  The Contraceptive Development Branch is
prepared, however, to evaluate such peptides if the contractor is unable to do
so.  The goal is to obtain LHRH antagonists which are more potent than those
currently available and are devoid of histamine releasing properties.
Proposals to merely collect peptides from various sources and/or only perform
biological assays are excluded from consideration at this time.  Organizations
must have adequate facilities and capabilities to carry out the proposed
peptide program.  All responsible sources may submit an offer which shall be
considered by the agency.  It is anticipated that four cost-reimbursement,
incrementally funded type contracts will be awarded under the Request for
Proposals (RFP) for a period of two years each, beginning November 1, 1990.
     
This is not an RFP.  RFP-NICHD-CD-90-15 will be issued on or about March 22,
1990.  Proposals will be due approximately 60 days thereafter.  Copies of the
RFP may be obtained by sending written requests to Mr. Paul J. Duska at the
address listed below.  Please enclose a self-addressed label.  Requests may
also be made by FAX Telephone 301-496-0962.
     
Paul J. Duska, Contracting Officer
Contracts Management Section, OGC
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 610
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892

ENTERIC DISEASES VACCINE AND TREATMENT EVALUATION UNIT
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  RFP-NIH-DMID-91-03
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0755015, 0715085, 0740075, 0745070
     
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
     
The Enteric Diseases Branch, Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases,
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has a requirement for
one Enteric Diseases Vaccine and Treatment Evalution Unit (VTEU).  The VTEU
conducts Phase I and Phase II clinical trials to evaluate candidate vaccines
and other prophylactic/therapeutic measures for infectious enteric diseases.
     
Issuance of the Request for Proposals (RFP) will be on or about March 27,
1990.  Proposals will be due by close of business on May 25, 1990.  One (1)
award is anticipated, and it is expected that a level-of-effort contract will
be funded over a period of five years.  Any responsible offeror may submit a
proposal which will be considered by the Government.
     
To recieve a copy of RFP-NIH-NIAID-DMID-91-03, please supply this office with
a written request, citing the RFP number together with two self-addressed
mailing labels addressed to:
     
Mr. Thomas C. Porter
Contractive Officer
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Contract Management Branch
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
     
This advertisement does not commit the Government to make an award.

     

     

             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990 - Page 4
PATHOBIOLOGY OF PNEUMOCYSTIS CARINII IN THE LUNG
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  90-HL-08-L
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715008, 0765035, 0715165
     
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
     
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  July 16, 1990
Application Receipt Date:  September 14, 1990
     
The Structure and Function Branch and the Airway Diseases Branch of the
Division of Lung Diseases, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI),
announce the availability of a Request for Applications (RFA) on the above
subject.  Copies of the RFA are currently available from NHLBI staff.
     
This program will support basic research on the underlying mechanisms by which
Pneumocystis carinii, the organism causing most of the pulmonary morbidity and
mortality in patients with AIDS, attaches to and injures host lung cells.  The
primary objectives of this special grant program are to elucidate the cellular
and molecular mechanisms underlying the interactions between P. carinii and
lung cells in the alveolus, and to explore how these events are affected by
immunosuppression and infection with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).  It
is expected that research applications will encompass a variety of approaches
and will require expertise from a number of disciplines including cell and
molecular biology, pathology, parasitology, virology, infectious diseases, and
pulmonary medicine.
     
A letter of intent is requested by July 16, 1990, and the deadline for receipt
of applications is September 14, 1990.  The earliest award date for successful
applications is March 1, 1991.  Awards will be made to foreign institutions
only for research of very unusual merit, need, and promise.
     
Requests for copies of this RFA should be addressed to:
     
Dorothy Berlin Gail, Ph.D.
Chief, Structure and Function Branch
Division of Lung Diseases, NHLBI
5333 Westbard Avenue, Room 6A07
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7171

RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION GRANTS FOR THE PREVENTION OF YOUTH SUICIDE AND SUICIDAL
BEHAVIOR
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  MH-90-15
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404020, 0745027, 0715020, 0403004
     
National Institute of Mental Health
     
Application Receipt Date:  June 18, 1990
     
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) seeks applications for research
demonstration projects aimed at the prevention of youth suicide and suicidal
behavior.  These projects are expected to use multi-faceted preventive or
treatment interventions with components for which there is an empirical or
conceptual basis for expecting preventive effects and involve comprehensive
and scientifically rigorous evaluations of these preventive effects in large,
representative populations.
     
Applications may be submitted by any nonprofit or for-profit organization
including units of State and local government.  Women and minority
investigators are encouraged to apply.
     
Applicants are urged to give added attention (where feasible and appropriate)
to the inclusion of women and minorities in study populations.  If women and
minorities are not to be included, a clear rationale for their exclusion must
be provided.
     
Support for research demonstration projects under this announcement should be
requested through applications for research demonstration grants (R18).  In
fiscal year 1990, it is expected that up to $1,000,000 will be available to
support research demonstration awards under this Request for Applications
(RFA).  Funding in future years will depend on annual appropriations.
     
Applications must be received by the receipt date of June 18, 1990.
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990 - Page 5
Potential applicants should contact the following NIMH staff as early as
possible for information and guidance in planning high quality research
demonstrations:
     
Peter Muehrer, Ph.D.
Prevention Research Branch
Room 10-104
Telephone:  (301) 443-5944
     
Irma Lann, M.Ed.
Child and Adolescent Disorders Research Branch
Room 10-104
Telephone:  (301) 443-5944
     
Kelly Kelleher, M.D., M.P.H.
Biometric and Clinical Applications Branch
Room 18C-14
Telephone:  (301) 443-1330
     
The address for all of the above is:
     
National Institute of Mental Health
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857

MCKINNEY RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM FOR HOMELESS MENTALLY ILL ADULTS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  MH-90-14
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715129, 0403004
     
National Institute of Mental Health
     
Application Receipt Date:  June 18, 1990
     
This request for applications (RFA) is aimed at generating new knowledge on
the effectiveness of comprehensive community mental health services
coordinated with an appropriate range of housing alternatives for severely
mentally ill homeless individuals.
     
Applications may be submitted by public or private nonprofit entities
including universities, units of State or local government, and other public
or private nonprofit organizations.  Applications are encouraged from women
and minority investigators and minority faculty and from historically minority
institutions.
     
Applicants are urged to give added attention (where feasible and appropriate)
to the inclusion of minorities and women in the research demonstration.  If
they are not included, a clear rationale for their exclusion should be
provided.
     
It is anticipated that approximately $5 million will be available in fiscal
year 1990 to support first-year direct and indirect costs of five to seven new
3-year research demonstration projects.
     
Applications will be accepted under the single receipt date of June 18, 1990.
     
For further information, applicants should contact Dr. Levine as early as
possible for information and guidance in initiating the application process
and planning high quality research designs:
     
Irene S, Levine, Ph.D., Director
Office of Programs for the Homeless Mentally Ill
National Institute of Mental Health
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 7C-06
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-3706

     

     

     

             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990 - Page 6
RESEARCH DEMONSTRATION GRANTS FOR THE PREVENTION OF SERIOUS AND CHRONIC
CONDUCT PROBLEMS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  MH-90-13
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715020, 0745027, 0403004
     
National Institute of Mental Health
     
Application Receipt Date:  June 18, 1990
     
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) seeks applications for research
demonstration projects aimed at the prevention of serious and chronic conduct
disorders during adolescence and early adulthood.  These projects are expected
to use multi-faceted preventive interventions with components for which there
is an empirical or conceptual basis for expecting significant preventive
effects and are expected to involve comprehensive and scientifically rigorous
evaluations of these preventive effects in large, representative populations.
     
Applications may be submitted by any nonprofit or for-profit organization
including units of State and local government.  Women and minority
investigators are encouraged to apply.
     
Applicants are urged to give added attention (where feasible and appropriate)
to the inclusion of women and minorities in study populations.  If minorities
and women are not included, a clear rationale for their exclusion should be
provided
     
Support for research demonstration projects under this announcement should be
requested through applications for research demonstrations (R18).
     
In fiscal year 1990, it is estimated that approximately $4,000,000 will be
available to support research demonstration projects under this announcement.
Funding in future years will depend on annual appropriations.
     
Applications must be received by the June 18, 1990, deadline.
     
Potential applicants should contact the following NIMH staff as early as
possible for information and guidance in planning high quality research
demonstrations:
     
Doreen Spilton Koretz, Ph.D.
Prevention Research Branch, NIMH
Room 14C-02, 5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4283
     
or
     
James Breiling, Ph.D.
Antisocial and Violent Behavior Branch, NIMH
Room 18-105, 5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-3728

RESEARCH DEMONSTRATIONS ON EMERGENCY MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES FOR CHILDREN AND
ADOLESCENTS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  MH-90-19
     
P.T. 34, AA; K.W. 0715129, 0730050, 0403004
     
National Institute of Mental Health
     
Application Receipt Date:  June 18, 1990
     
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and
Mental Health Administration, in collaboration with the Pediatric Emergency
Medical Services Program, Bureau of Maternal and Child Health and Resources
Development, Health Resources and Services Administration.
     
The purpose of this announcement is to encourage research demonstrations to
provide emergency mental health services to children and adolescents who are
in need of acute psychiatric intervention, who have suffered a physical injury
that may be associated with an antecedent emotional disturbance, or who
present with other physical conditions or physical trauma that place them
and/or their families at risk for mental health problems.  Research
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990 - Page 7
demonstrations to be supported under this announcement are expected to provide
services to children and their families and incorporate a sophisticated and
rigorous evaluation of the services provided.  The demonstrations may also
include training for emergency medical and psychiatric personnel who will be
caring for these families and children.  Special emphasis is given in this
announcement to projects for minority and rural populations.
     
Applications may be submitted by any public or private nonprofit or for-profit
organization including units of State and local government.  Women and
minority investigators are especially encouraged to apply.
     
Applicants may request support for up to five years of research demonstration
projects.  It is recognized that applicants may want to extend the time to
continue a longitudinal study of subjects.  When such a design is considered,
applicants should outline the full scope of the project and propose to reapply
after four years for competitive continuation funding.
     
It is anticipated that up to $500,000 will be available to support new grant
awards under this announcement during fiscal year 1990, subject to
availability of funds.  Funding in future years will depend on annual
appropriations.
     
Applications must be submitted by June 18, 1990.
     
Inquiries and requests for additional information and consultation may be
directed to:
     
Ann A. Hohmann, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Biometric and Clinical Applications Branch
Division of Biometry and Applied Sciences
National Institute of Mental Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 18-C-14
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-3364
     
Arthur S. Funke, Ph.D.
Child/Adolescent Health
Office of Maternal and Child Health
Bureau of Maternal and Child Health and Resource Development
Health Resources and Services Administration
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 9-21
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4026

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

NOTICE:  NIAID SMALL GRANTS PROGRAM:  CHANGE OF INITIAL REVIEW GROUP
ASSIGNMENT
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715008, 0785035, 0745000, 0715125, 0755015, 0755010
     
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
     
A National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)-sponsored
Program Announcement entitled "Small Grants Program for Laboratory Research
Related to the Clinical Evaluation of AIDS Therapies" was published in the
September 22, 1989 (Vol.  18, No. 33, page 5) issue of the NIH Guide for
Grants and Contracts.  It stated that responsive applications will be
subjected to initial scientific review by the Acquired Immunodeficiency
Research Review Committee (AIDSRRC).  The applications that were received for
the December 12, 1989 deadline have undergone initial scientific review by a
subcommittee of the AIDSRRC.  However, the group of applications expected for
the next round, whose receipt date is May 4, 1990, will be reviewed by one of
the Division of Research Grants (DRG) study sections now responsible for
conducting expedited peer review of R01 and R29 AIDS applications.
     
This change of initial review group (IRG) may be a one-time occurrence only.
By mutual agreement between NIAID and DRG staff, future IRG assignments of
these applications will depend largely on workload distribution of AIDS
applications.  Questions regarding the review aspects of the upcoming
applications should be directed to:

     

             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990 - Page 8
Chief, Immunology, Virology and Pathology Review Section
Referral and Review Branch
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room A19
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0892

RESEARCH ON EFFECTIVENESS AND OUTCOMES OF MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0730050, 0715129, 0755030
     
National Institute of Mental Health
     
The purpose of this announcement is to encourage research on the effectiveness
of mental health services with special emphasis on studying the care provided
for persons with severe, disabling disorders and on studies that assess client
outcomes.
     
Applications may be submitted by any public or private, nonprofit or
for-profit organization including units of State and local governments.  Women
and minority investigators are especially encouraged to apply.
     
Support under this announcement may be requested through applications for a
regular research grant, small grant, or First Independent Research and
Transition (FIRST) Award.
     
Applicants are urged to give attention (where feasible and appropriate) to the
inclusion of women and minorities in study populations for research into the
etiology of diseases, research in behavioral and treatment outcome, research
on the dynamics of health care and its impact on disease, and appropriate
interventions for disease prevention and promotion.  If women or minorities
are to be excluded in any given study, a clear rationale for their exclusion
should be provided.
     
To qualify for fiscal year 1990 funding, applications must be submitted for
the receipt date of June 1, 1990, and be complete at time of submission.  In
subsequent years, the regular receipt and review dates will apply.
     
For further information, potential applicants should contact:
     
Charles Windle, Ph.D.
Telephone:  (301) 443-4233
     
or
     
Ann Hohmann, Ph.D.
Telephone:  (301) 443-3364
     
The address for both of the above is:
     
Biometric and Clinical Applications Branch
Division of Biometry and Applied Sciences, NIMH
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 18C-14
Rockville, MD  20857

RESEARCH ON SERVICES FOR PERSONS WITH MENTAL DISORDERS THAT CO-OCCUR WITH
ALCOHOL AND/OR DRUG ABUSE DISORDERS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715129, 0730050, 0404003, 0404009
     
National Institute of Mental Health
     
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) in collaboration with the
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) and the National
Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) seeks to encourage research and research
demonstration applications for studies of alcohol, drug, and mental health
services for individuals whose multiple diagnoses include mental disorder(s)
as well as alcohol and/or drug abuse disorder(s).  This research initative is
intended to improve the understanding of service use by persons with these
multiple diagnoses and to identify ways to improve the effectiveness of
services delivered to them.
     
This announcement, originally issued in January 1989, has been revised to
incorporate funding for research demonstrations (R18).  Support may be
requested through applications for a regular research grant, small grant,
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990 - Page 9
First Independent Research Support and Transition (FIRST) Award, Alcohol, Drug
Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA) Scientist Development Award,
and ADAMHA Scientist Development Award for Clinicians.
     
Applicants are urged to give added attention (where feasible and appropriate)
to the inclusion of women and minorities in study populations.  In addition,
special encouragement is given to applicants to promote collaboration between
academic researchers and public sector agencies in planning and undertaking
research pertaining to persons with co-occurring mental disorder(s) and
substance abuse disorder(s).
     
Applicants may request support for up to 5 years for research or research
demonstration projects (with the exception of small grants which are limited
to 2 years).  Annual awards will be made, subject to continued availability of
funds and progress achieved.
     
To qualify for fiscal year 1990 funding, applications must be submitted by
June 1, 1990.  Thereafter, applications will be accepted and reviewed in
accordance with the regular review schedule.  Fiscal year 1990 awards will be
made in consultation with NIAAA and NIDA.
     
Potential applicants are encouraged to discuss their planned research with
NIMH staff listed below before submitting a formal grant application.  A
technical assistance workshop is planned for potential applicants.  Contact:
     
Dave Larson, M.D., M.S.P.H., or Charles Windle, Ph.D.
Biometric and Clinical Applications Branch
Division of Biometry and Applied Sciences, NIMH
Room 18C-24, 5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  Dr. Larson (301) 443-1330
Telephone:  Dr. Windle (301) 443-4233

EPIDEMIOLOGIC AND SERVICES RESEARCH DEMONSTRATIONS ON MENTAL DISORDERS THAT
CO-OCCUR WITH DRUG AND/OR ALCOHOL DISORDERS AMONG AMERICAN INDIANS, ALASKAN
NATIVES, AND NATIVE HAWAIIANS
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715129, 0730050, 0785055, 0403004, 0404003, 0404009
     
National Institute of Mental Health
     
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), in collaboration with the
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) and the National
Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), research institutes which comprise the
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA), are sponsoring
this new initiative which is intended to encourage research on the prevalence
of mental disorders that co-occur with drug and/or alcohol disorders, and on
drug, alcohol, and mental health services use by American Indians, Alaskan
Natives, and Native Hawaiians.
     
The purpose of this announcement is to extend the knowledge of the prevalence
and treatment of mental disorders ascertained from the Epidemiologic Catchment
Area (ECA) and other major epidemiologic and services use studies.  The
Institutes will provide funding to support the development of scientific
knowledge on the epidemiology and services use for drug, alcohol, and mental
disorders by adults and children who are American Indians, Alaskan Natives,
and Native Hawaiians.
     
All applicants for research support under this announcement are expected to
design a two-phase research plan, to allow specific attention to the issues of
sampling and culturally appropriate assessment of psychopathology, impaired
functioning, and services use, before actually beginning a large-scale data
collection effort.
     
In Phase I, which will occur in the first 2 years of the project, diagnostic
and mental health services survey instruments will be developed and evaluated
in a pilot test with the target population of native people chosen for the
research.
     
In Phase II, which will occur in the subsequent years of the project, a
cross-sectional survey of the target population will be conducted.
Longitudinal research designs will not be accepted as part of this
announcement, although funded grantees will be encouraged to submit competing
continuation applications to continue the research on a longitudinal basis.
     
Applicants are urged to consider the inclusion of women in the study
populations for all clinical research efforts.  Exceptions would be studies of
     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990 - Page 10
diseases which exclusively affect males or where involvement of pregnant women
may expose the fetus to undue risk.  Gender differences should be noted and
evaluated.  If women are not to be included, a clear rationale should be
provided for their exclusion.
     
Applications may be submitted by any public or private nonprofit or for-profit
organization including units of State and local government.  Women and
minority investigators are especially encouraged to apply.
     
Support under this announcement may be requested through applications for a
regular research grant (R01), and First Independent Research Support and
Transition (FIRST) Award (R29).
     
To qualify for FY 1990 funding, applications must be submitted by June 1, 1990
and will follow a one-time only special review schedule.
     
Inquiries and requests for additional information and consultation may be
directed to:
     
Ann A. Hohmann, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Biometric and Clinical Applications Branch
Division of Biometry and Applied Sciences
National Institute of Mental Health
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 18-C-14
Rockville, MD 20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-3364
     
Richard K. Fuller, M.D.
Division of Clinical and Prevention Research
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 16-C-10
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-1206
     
Edgar H. Adams, Sc.D.
Division of Epidemiology and Statistical Analysis
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 11-C-55
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6504

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 12, March 23, 1990 - Page 11