Subject: (Copy) NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 16, April 20, 1990
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 90 07:33 EST

Good Morning Paul,
   This is the latest NIH Guide.  Please post to the listserver as:
     NIHGUIDE.042090
Thanks.  Have a nice weekend.
                             Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
     
X-comment: NIH Guide (including TOC) contained 9 pages (720 lines)
No RFAs present
     
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 16, April 20, 1990

                                   NOTICES

ADVANCED IMAGE PROCESSING METHODS IN ELECTRON MICROSCOPY ..(84/128).......... 1
National Center for Research Resources
Index:  RESEARCH RESOURCES

ELECTRONIC AVAILABILITY OF THE NIH GUIDE FOR GRANTS AND CONTRACTS ..(131/368) 1
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

FILARIASIS REPOSITORY - RESEARCH SERVICE (RFP) ..........(374/419)........... 4
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES

CLARIFICATION:  CONSTRUCTION OF A MOUSE PRODUCTION FACILITY (RFA OD-90-02) .. 5
National Institutes of Health                               (422/455)
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

MULTI-SITE TRIALS OF BEHAVIORAL STRATEGIES TO PREVENT SPREAD OF
HIV INFECTION (RFA MH-90-06) ...............................(458/534)........ 5
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

UNDERLYING MOLECULAR, CELLULAR AND IMMUNOLOGICAL FACTORS IN
AGE-RELATED CANCERS (PA-90-04) .............................(540/705)........ 6
National Cancer Institute
National Institute on Aging
Index:  CANCER, AGING

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
     
                                   NOTICES

ADVANCED IMAGE PROCESSING METHODS IN ELECTRON MICROSCOPY
     
P.T. 42; K.W. 1013038, 1004000
     
National Center for Research Resources
     
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) is conducting a three-day workshop
on the subject of "Advanced Image Processing Methods in Electron Microscopy,"
June 24-27, 1990.  The workshop is funded by a cooperative agreement from the
Biomedical Research Technology Program of the National Center for Research
Resources, National Institutes of Health (NIH).
     
This workshop provides a theoretical and practical introduction to advanced
methods in light and electron microscopic structure research in cellular and
molecular biology.  It combines lectures by experts in the field with
practical exercises in selected topics.  The various aspects of integrating
the PSC's Cray YMP/832 in a modular image processing system also will be
discussed and the use of the supercomputer for very computer-intensive tasks
will be demonstrated.  The workshop will utilize the SPIDER and MDPP image
processing systems.
     
These sessions will be conducted by Dr. Joachim Frank of the Wadsworth Center,
New York State Department of Health and the School of Health, State University
of New York, and by Drs. Ross Smith and Dean Hillman of the New York
University Medical Center.
     
Previous supercomputing experience is not necessary.  This three-day workshop
will include an optional half-day session on Sunday, June 24, led by PSC staff
members.  This optional portion will cover VAX/VMS and UNICOS, the Cray
version of the AT&T System V Unix operating system.
     
Travel, meals, and hotel accommodations for U.S. academic participants are
supported by the cooperative agreement.  Enrollment is limited to 20
individuals.  THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS IS MAY 22, 1990.
     
For application forms and further information on this workshop or
supercomputing resources, write or call:
     
Nancy Kiser
Biomedical Coordinator
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
4400 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA  15213
Telephone:  (412) 268-5206, or 1-800-221-1641 (outside PA) or
E-mail:  [email-masked]

ELECTRONIC AVAILABILITY OF THE NIH GUIDE FOR GRANTS AND CONTRACTS
     
P.T. 16; K.W. 1004017
     
National Institutes of Health
     
For several months, the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts has been available
electronically (E-Guide), on an experimental basis, via BITNET.  As of April
1, 1990, more than 140 institutions have designated a representative to
receive the E-Guide and then to make it available to interested persons at
that institution.  Several individuals have provided helpful evaluative
comments.  Nearly all have been very positive, citing the speed and
convenience of the electronic form and the fact that the full requests for
applications are transmitted automatically, rather than requiring interested
persons to request them specifically.  Nevertheless, some have experienced
technical difficulties in file management or downloading, and others have
pointed out the need for further software development in order to maximize its
usefulness.  It is clear from the comments we have received that the E-Guide
is used in a large variety of ways.
     
Some individuals have noted problems that result from the format in which the
E-Guide is transmitted.  One specific suggestion was to incorporate a unique
symbol at the beginning or end of each item to facilitate scanning.  Another
suggestion was to remove headers, footers, and possibly page numbers.
     
At this time, we would like to know what specific changes in the format would
be helpful to you.  For example:

             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 16, April 20, 1990 - Page 1
  o  Do you routinely download and/or print the E-Guide?
     
  o  Are page numbers important to you?
     
  o  What type of software development would be helpful?
     
  o  Do you still need to receive the hard-copy version of the Guide?
     
We are considering the possibility of holding an open one-day conference in
Bethesda on the E-Guide in the early autumn.  The conference would give users
a chance to exchange information and would help us to consider appropriate
changes in the E-Guide.  We would not charge a fee for this conference but
probably could not provide travel funds, either.
     
  o  Would such a conference be of interest to you?
     
  o  Would you or a representative of your institution be able to
     attend?
     
We would appreciate knowing your interest in the proposed conference, as well
as answers to the questions posed above, via e-mail or regular mail to:
     
Ms. Rebecca Duvall or Dr. Janet Newburgh
Institutional Liaison Office
Building 31, Room 5B31
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
BITNET:  Q2C@NIHCU
     
The following is a listing of institutions currently receiving the NIH Guide
electronically.  If you are at one of these institutions and wish to receive
the E-Guide, you should contact the person identified at your institution.
Institutions not listed but that would like to start receiving the E-Guide
should notify the Institutional Liaison Office at the above address of their
designated person who would be responsible for receiving the E-Guide and then
making it available to interested persons within the institution.
     
                    NIH GUIDE MAILING LIST BY INSTITUTION
                      (as of March 29, 1990 - 3:15 P.M.)
     
INSTITUTION                                   CONTACT PERSON        PHONE
     
ALFRED UNIV NYS COLLEGE OF CERAMICS           HEINEMAN, ROBERT A.   607-871-2870
AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOC                  WANDERSMAN, SUZANNE   202-955-7600
AMERICAN TYPE CULTURE COLL                    BLAINE, LOIS          301-881-2600
ARIZONA CANCER CENTER                         SOEHNLEN, BARBARA     602-626-6044
BALL STATE UNIVERSITY                         PYLE, JAMES L.        317-285-1600
BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE                    WILSON, THOMAS E      713-798-4915
BOWDOIN COLLEGE COMPUTING CENTER              TRUMPER, PETER K.     123-456-7890
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY                   JOHNSON, BETHANY      213-590-5758
CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY                    DUNKLE, SUSAN         412-268-8746
CITY UNIV OF NEW YORK CUNY COMPUTER CENTER    BUCKLEY, ROBERT J.    212-772-4020
COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY                     WALKER, CELIA         303-491-6355
COLUMBIA UNIV                                 ISRAEL, BETH H.       212-854-6851
COLUMBIA UNIV SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK           SCHINKE, STEVEN P.    212-854-8506
COLUMBIA UNIV NEW YORK PSYCHIATRIC INST       DESIMONE, PHILIP A.   914-365-2000
DARTMOUTH COLLEGE                             DOOLITTLE, MARTHA     603-646-8782
DICKINSON COLLEGE                             KIRTLEY, MARY E.      717-245-1376
DRAKE UNIVERSITY COMPUTER CENTER              LUTZ, ROBERT W.       123-456-7890
DUKE UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER                ELCHLEPP, JANE G.     919-684-4044
FLORIDA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY               GALLO, MICHAEL        407-768-8000
FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY                      FREEMAN, MARC         904-644-3896
FOX CHASE CANCER CENTER                       ROBINSON, SUE         215-728-2496
FRED HUTCHINSON CA RES CTR                    CAHILL, JOANN         206-467-4868
GENBANK                                       KRISTOFFERSON, DAVE   415-962-7339
GEORGE MASON UNIV                             FISH, MICHAEL         703-323-2000
GEORGETOWN UNIV MEDICAL CENTER                STELLPFLUG, MICHAEL   202-687-1414
GEORGIA SOUTHWESTERN COLLEGE                  HAYNES, DEBORAH       912-928-1230
GLADSTONE FOUNDATION LABS                     DAVIS, VICKI          415-826-7500
HARVARD UNIVERSITY SCIENCE CENTER             TENEN, DANIEL G.      617-735-5561
HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY COMPUTING FACILITY         GRANT, ANDREW J.      516-560-6810
INDIANA UNIV                                  MCCLOUD, JANICE       812-855-8913
INDIANA UNIV - PURDUE UNIV                    KRATZ, ANN B.         317-274-8285
IOWA STATE UNIV COMPUTATION CENTER            PAYNE, CAROLYN        515-294-4566
JACKSON LABORATORY                            JOHNSON, ERIC A.      207-288-3371
JOHN RADCLIFF HOSP,HEADINGTON,OXFORD,UK       BERNAL, A. LOPEZ      (0865) 64711
JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY                      ELROD, JOHN PAUL      301-338-8732
KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY                       ISENHOUR, TOM         913-532-6011
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 16, April 20, 1990 - Page 2
INSTITUTION                                   CONTACT PERSON        PHONE
     
KENT STATE UNIV INFORMATION SERVICES          TONCAR, CAROL M.      216-672-2070
LAWRENCE UNIV                                 SMITH, KRIS A.        414-832-6517
LOUISIANA STATE UNIV                          PIKE, RALPH W.        504-388-6891
LOVELACE MED FOUND                            THOMPSON, BRYAN       505-262-7155
LOYOLA UNIV OF CHICAGO                        BENNETT, THOMAS J     312-670-2956
MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY                          MINER, LYNN           414-288-1531
MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL HOSPITAL                LEBLANC, JENNINE      617-726-3651
MAYO FOUNDATION                               PUTNAM, AMES          507-284-8158
MEHARRY MED COLL                              DOLCE, PETER          615-327-6703
MEMORIAL SLOAN-KETTERING CANCER CENTER        MCLOUGHLIN, BILL      212-639-3274
MERCER UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE          INNES, DAVID L.       912-744-2600
MIAMI UNIV                                    MCWILLIAMS, MARY      513-529-3734
MICHIGAN STATE UNIV                           HUNT, PAUL M.         517-353-8856
MILLARD FILLMORE HOSPITAL                     SCHENTAG, JEROME      718-887-4704
NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION                   ROM, JOANNA           202-357-7880
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER            BRONSTEIN, JEFFREY    212-340-6701
NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIV                     PRICE, HOPE           919-737-2153
NORTH DAKOTA HIGHER EDU COMP NETWORK HECN     CONNOR, DAVID R.      701-857-3181
NORTHEASTERN ILLINOIS UNIV                    MOCH, BARBARA         312-583-4050
NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIV                        STANFORD, CHARLES     815-753-9278
OCC AND INDUS ORTHOPAEDIC CNTR                FERRARA, PETER L.     212-598-6525
OHIO COLL OF PODIATRIC MED                    GLENN LOYD, E.        216-231-3300
OHIO STATE UNIV                               BECKER, JANET         614-292-8663
ORKAND CORP                                   NAILY, IMAD A.        301-585-8480
PENN STATE                                    KOHLER, JR. MAYNARD   814-863-0715
PORTLAND STATE UNIV COMPUTING SERVICES CTR    GRABOTIN, INGRID      503-725-3417
PURDUE UNIV COMPUTING CENTER                  RAY, LAUREL           317-494-6706
RAND CORP                                     JONES, JANICE         213-393-0411
RESEARCH TRIANGLE INSTITUTE                   JUDD, JANE C.         919-541-6190
RHODE ISLAND COLLEGE COMPUTER CENTER VM       KEOGH, R. N.          401-456-8228
SALK INSTITUTE                                KLIVINGTON, KENNETH   619-453-4100
SOUTHEASTERN MASS UNIV                        DALGLEISH, ROBERT C.  508-999-8026
SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIV                       RANEY, GAY            214-692-2030
ST. ELIZABETH'S HOSPITAL                      ABRAHAM, HENRY D.     617-789-2112
ST. JUDE CHILDREN'S RESEARCH HOSPITAL         INMAN, MAUREEN        901-531-2313
STANFORD UNIVERSITY                           HALE, BONNIE          415-723-4237
SUNY AT ALBANY                                BRIGHTON, DEBORAH     518-442-3510
SUNY AT BINGHAMTON                            PARKER, PAUL C.       607-777-6752
SUNY AT BUFFALO                               RENS, FRANK           716-636-3574
SUNY COLLEGE AT NEW PALTZ SUN                 SMITH, LAURA          914-257-3281
SUNY COLLEGE OF ENVIRON SCI & FORESTRY        NICHOLSON, WILLIAM    315-470-6606
SUNY HEALTH SCI CTR @ BROOKLYN                ALLEN, JOHN M.        718-270-1178
TECHNION-ISRAEL INST OF TECHN                 RENNERT, GAD          04-244264
TEL AVIV UNIV                                 DANON, RUTH           410405
TEXAS A&M UNIV COMPUTING SERVICES CTR  R      TREAT, JO ANN         409-845-8670
TEXAS TECH UNIV ACADEMIC COMP SERV            HAGLER, SHIRLENE      806-742-3884
TEXAS TECH UNIV HEALTH SCIENCES CTR           FERGUSON, GAYLE       806-743-2960
TORONTO HOSPITAL                              BECKER, LORNE A.      416-340-3640
TOWSON STATE UNIV                             JOHNSON, DEANLYNN     301-321-2236
TUFTS UNIV                                    LISZCZAK, THEODORE    617-381-3417
TUFTS UNIVERSITY MEDICAL SCHOOL               DELEON, KATHY         123-456-7890
TULANE UNIV                                   HILL, LINDA M.        504-865-5272
UNIFORMED SERV UNIV OF HEALTH SCIENCES        WILSON, HERNAND       301-295-3779
UNIV OF ALABAMA                               ROGERS, JOHNNY M.     205-348-5152
UNIV OF ARIZONA CTR FOR COMP & INFO           STRAUSFELD, CAMILLA   602-321-7750
UNIV OF ARKANSAS FOR MEDICAL SCIENCES         PRENTICE, JOANNA      501-686-5503
UNIV OF CALIFORNIA SAN FRANCISCO              HITTLEMAN, KARL J.    415-476-1883
UNIV OF CALIFORNIA SF - FRESNO                ALTMAN, DAVID         209-224-3235
UNIV OF CALIFORNIA, DAVIS                     CHAMBERS, B. P.       916-752-0320
UNIV OF CENTRAL FLORIDA                       FURINO, BRUCE M.      407-275-2671
UNIV OF CINCINNATI MCIC                       MORRIS, THEODORE      513-558-6046
UNIV OF COLORADO AT BOULDER                   RHYSLING, MICHAEL     303-492-0580
UNIV OF COLORADO AT DENVER COMP SERV          JOHNSON, BURTON       303-556-2771
UNIV OF DAYTON                                HECHT, JUDITH N.      513-229-3024
UNIV OF DENVER                                SULLIVAN, DIANE       303-871-2620
UNIV OF GEORGIA                               COLE, TRICIA          404-542-5971
UNIV OF HAWAII AT MANOA                       NATERTE, WENDY        808-948-6058
UNIV OF HOUSTON                               DOWDY, STEVE          713-749-3412
UNIV OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN          LOWRY, PEGGY S.       217-333-0284
UNIV OF ILLINOIS CHICAGO                      RIGBY, BRIAN          312-996-4995
UNIV OF ILLINOIS CHICAGO                      FREW, VICKY Z.        815-395-5642
UNIV OF IOWA                                  HARVEY, BRIAN L.      319-335-2123
UNIV OF LOWELL RESEARCH FOUNDATION            MILLER, EDWARD F.     508-458-2508
UNIV OF MAINE COMPUTING CENTER                FORGET, CAROLYN       207-581-1476
UNIV OF MAINE PORTLAND                        PRANGER, GENE         207-780-4411
UNIV OF MARYLAND AT BALTIMORE                 UNGER, ROB            301-328-7131
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 16, April 20, 1990 - Page 3
UNIV OF MARYLAND COLL PARK                    GERONIMO, ANNE        301-454-3987
UNIV OF MASSACHUSETTS                         BURGGREN, MARGARET    413-545-3428
UNIV OF MEDICINE & DENTISTRY OF NJ            STEER, DR. ROBERT     609-757-7762
UNIV OF MIAMI (MEDICAL CAMPUS)                APATHY, PETER P.      305-326-6339
UNIV OF MIAMI INFORMATION RESOURCES           NOLEN, DON            305-284-4695
UNIV OF MIAMI MED DATA MGMT RESOURCES         ALVAREZ, MARINA       305-547-6285
UNIV OF MICHIGAN                              BEATTIE, ROBERT       313-764-7248
UNIV OF MINNESOTA                             SCHUMI, WINIFRED      612-624-5750
UNIV OF MISSISSIPPI                           DANIEL, MOLLY         601-232-7474
UNIV OF MISSOURI-ST. LOUIS                    MONTIEL, OLGA M.      314-553-5897
UNIV OF NEBRASKA - OMAHA                      THILL, RICHARD        402-554-2286
UNIV OF NEBRASKA MED CENTER                   SCHLESIGER, NANCY A.  402-559-7456
UNIV OF NEW HAMPSHIRE                         BARON, HELEN          603-862-2000
UNIV OF NEW MEXICO CIRT                       ST. GEORGE, ART       505-277-8046
UNIV OF NORTH CAROLINA                        BAKER, DOTTIE         919-966-5625
UNIV OF NORTH CAROLINA GEN ADMIN              SMITH, JANE D.        123-456-7890
UNIV OF NOTRE DAME COMPUTING CENTER           GHOLSON, JANIS        219-239-7432
UNIV OF PENNSYLVANIA                          WATSON, STUART        215-898-7293
UNIV OF PITTS COMP AND INFO SYS               SCHAFFNER, JAN        412-624-7417
UNIV OF PITTS, NEUROLOGY AND DEC S            MCLINDEN, SEAN        412-648-9600
UNIV OF ROCHESTER                             YOUNGERS, JANE        716-275-4031
UNIV OF S. FLORIDA                            DECRACKER, MERILYNN   813-974-2897
UNIV OF S. FLORIDA                            OGLESBY, CAROLE       904-392-4804
UNIV OF SCRANTON                              BALDWIN, ANNE E.      717-961-6190
UNIV OF SOUTH CAROLINA                        DEAN, SCOTT           803-777-2983
UNIV OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA                   DAVEY, BARBARA        213-743-7762
UNIV OF SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI                  GREEN, EVELYN         601-266-4119
UNIV OF SOUTHWESTERN LOUISIANA                SHRIVER, BRUCE D.     318-231-5811
UNIV OF TENNESSEE AT KNOXVILLE                COLE, GREGORY S.      615-974-8767
UNIV OF TEXAS AT EL PASO COMPUTER CTR         WOLF, M. E.           915-775-6101
UNIV OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE CTR              WOMACK, KAREN         713-792-4689
UNIV OF TEXAS M.D. ANDERSON CA CTR            HALE, DANIEL J        713-792-2121
UNIV OF TEXAS MED BRANCH                      STINSON, E. RAY       409-761-3482
UNIV OF TEXAS SW MEDICAL CTR                  QUEBBEMAN, KAREN      214-688-2258
UNIV OF UTAH                                  TIMPSON, RICHARD      801-581-7236
UNIV OF UTAH SCH OF MED                       EPSTEIN, CLAY         801-581-6370
UNIV OF WISCONSIN                             BROWN, ROGER          608-263-5017
UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA COMPUTER NETWORK         PEASE, GREG R/        907-780-4338
VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY                         CHILDRESS, JOHN       615-322-2631
VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY COMPUTER CENTER         MOORE, MARGARET       615-322-7311
VASSAR COLLEGE                                COOL, KENNETH         914-437-5490
VIRGINIA TECH                                 HURD, TOM             703-231-5281
WASHINGTON STATE UNIV COMP SERV CTR           WILLS, J. J.          509-335-9661
WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY                         ROBIN, KENNETH        314-362-0155
WESTERN ILLINOIS UNIV                         MYERS, SHIRLEY        309-298-1191
WESTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY                   EMMERT, WIL B.        616-387-3670
WORCESTER FDN                                 LEE, BARBARA          508-842-8921
YALE UNIV                                     AASLESTAD, HAL G.     203-785-6929

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

FILARIASIS REPOSITORY - RESEARCH SERVICE
     
RFP AVAILABLE:  NIH-NIAID-DMID-91-08
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0780005, 1002032
     
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
     
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has a requirement for a filariasis
repository to maintain and supply parasites, infected animals and arthropod
intermediate hosts of four selected filarial species to investigators for
research purposes.
     
The Parasitology and Tropical Diseases Branch of the Division of Microbiology
and Infectious Diseases of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious
Diseases (NIAID) is soliciting contract proposals from organizations having
the capabilities and facilities to maintain all of the life-cycles of Brugia
malayi, Brugia pahangi, Dirofilaria immitis, and Acanthocheilonema viteae and
to distribute parasites, infected mammals and infected or uninfected
intermediate hosts to qualified investigators.
     
Any contract awarded will be subject to DHHS regulations regarding the use of
animal subjects in research.

     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 16, April 20, 1990 - Page 4
One contract may be awarded as a result of this solicitation.  It is expected
that the contract will have a five-year period of performance.
     
The issuance of the RFP will be on or about April 18, 1990, and proposals will
be due by the close of business on June 15, 1990.  Any responsible offeror may
submit a proposal which will be considered by the government.
     
To receive a copy of this RFP, please supply this office with a request in
writing and two (2) self-addressed mailing labels addressed to:
     
Mr. Frank M. Fountain
Contract Specialist
Contract Management Branch, NIAID
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 707
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
     
This advertisement does not commit the Government to make an award.

CLARIFICATION:  CONSTRUCTION OF A MOUSE PRODUCTION FACILITY
     
RFA:  OD-90-02
     
P.T. 02, 34; K.W. 1002002, 1014002, 1014006
     
National Institutes of Health
     
This Request for Applications (RFA) was published in the NIH Guide for Grants
and Contracts on February 16, 1990, Vol. 19, No. 7.  This notice is for
clarification concerning the requirements for matching funds to be provided by
the grantee.  The following section replaces that in the original full RFA
document.
     
III.  MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
C. Funding Participation.  This one-time solicitation based on the Fiscal Year
1990 apppropriation will make available $10,000,000 for this initiative.
Final amount to be determined based on the peer-review evaluation.  Up to 75
percent of the allowable costs of the project may be provided, not to exceed
$10,000,000.  The matching contributions by the institution may be in cash or
in kind, fairly evaluated, including plant and equipment or services
throughout the 20-year period of the grant (and including such specialized
strains of mice as the Secretary may request for purposes of biomedical
research).  Amounts provided by any agency of the Federal Government other
than the Department of Health and Human Services, and services assisted or
subsidized by any such agency, may be included in amount of such matching
funds.  Prior to the grant award, the applicant must provide an assurance of
required institutional contributions, as described above, and that other
contributions have been secured to meet any projected costs in excess of the
award amount.  Requests of less than $500,000 will not be accepted.  No
indirect costs will be awarded.  No continuation costs will be awarded.
     
No other parts of the RFA are modified.

MULTI-SITE TRIALS OF BEHAVIORAL STRATEGIES TO PREVENT SPREAD OF HIV INFECTION
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  MH-90-06
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404000, 0715008, 0745027, 0755015, 0411005, 0755018
     
National Institute of Mental Health
     
Application Receipt Date:  June 20, 1990
     
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is requesting applications for
a collaborative study to test behavioral interventions to prevent the further
spread of HIV infection.  The purpose of this collaborative study is to
support a coordinated multi-site, multi-population prevention trial by
Extramural Research Groups to develop effective AIDS prevention strategies.
This collaborative effort will seek the development of a model(s) of
prevention that can be applied to diverse populations at risk for HIV
infection.  Applications are also being sought for a Coordinating Center to
provide overall coordination and management for the collaborative study.

     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 16, April 20, 1990 - Page 5
Applications for the Extramural Research Groups may be submitted by domestic
public or private, nonprofit or for-profit organizations such as universities,
colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of State or local governments, and
eligible agencies of the Federal Government.  Applications to become an
Extramural Research Group will be accepted from foreign institutions only if
the applicant provides evidence of unique data or other unique opportunities
not available in a U.S. population.  Applications for the Coordinating Center
will be accepted only from domestic institutions.  Women and minorities are
encouraged to apply.
     
Applicants are urged to give attention to the inclusion of minority
populations and (where feasible and appropriate) to women in study populations
for research into the etiology of diseases, research in behavioral and social
sciences, clinical studies of treatment and treatment outcomes, research on
the dynamics of health care and its impact on disease, and appropriate
interventions for disease prevention and health promotion.  If minorities or
women are not included in a given study, a clear rationale for their exclusion
should be provided.
     
In fiscal year 1990, a minimum of $2 million will be available for the entire
Cooperative Agreement for Multi-Site Trials of Behavioral Strategies to
Prevent Further Spread of HIV Infection.  A single award will be made for a
Coordinating Center.  It is expected that two to five awards will be made to
Extramural Research Groups.
     
To qualify for fiscal year 1990 funding, applications must be submitted for
the receipt date of June 20, 1990, and be complete at the time of submission.
     
Potential applicants should contact the following for consultation concerning
submission of proposed projects in response to this request:
     
Ellen Stover, Ph.D.
Director, Office of AIDS Programs
Office of the Director
Room 17C-06, Parklawn Building
Telephone:  (301) 443-7281
     
Anita Eichler
Associate Dirctor, Office of AIDS Programs
Office of the Director
Room 11C-18, Parklawn Building
Telephone:  (301) 443-6100
     
Willo Pequegnat, Ph.D.
Program Officer, Office of AIDS Prograams
Office of the Director
Room 11C-18, Parklawn Building
Telephone:  (301) 443-6100
     
The mailing address for the above is:
     
National Institute of Mental Health
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

UNDERLYING MOLECULAR, CELLULAR AND IMMUNOLOGICAL FACTORS IN AGE-RELATED
CANCERS
     
PA:  PA-90-04
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715035, 0710010, 1002004, 1002008, 1002058, 0710070, 0760020
     
National Cancer Institute
National Institute on Aging
     
I.  PURPOSE
     
The purpose of this program announcement is to stimulate
investigator-initiated research that will lead to a better understanding of
the various underlying factors, both intrinsic (genetic, molecular and
cellular) and extrinsic (epigenetic, immunological, drug-induced, chemical and
viral) that affect behavior of cancers in older patients (e.g. over 65) versus
younger patients (e.g. under 65).  Statistical data show that most malignant
tumors are associated with the aging process since cancer incidence and
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 16, April 20, 1990 - Page 6
mortality rates generally increase with age.  However it is not known why
incidence and mortality rates for certain cancers are greatly increased in
older patients when compared with younger patients (e.g. breast, prostate,
colorectal and ovarian carcinomas).  This program announcement is designed to
encourage investigator-initiated research to identify the underlying factors
which contribute to the increased incidence and mortality rates associated
with certain age-related cancers.
     
II.  BACKGROUND
     
Current statistics show significant increases in cancer incidence and
mortality rates in certain age-related cancers such as carcinomas of the
colon, the prostate, the breast, and the ovary.  This was based on the review
of cancer incidence, survival and mortality statistics (1973-1986) derived
from the SEER (Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results) Data Base which
indicated differences between cancer patients over 65 and those under 65 in
these cancers.  The current national census documents that persons over 65
comprise 12 percent of the population.  With improved health care delivery,
this fraction will increase to 14 percent by 2000 AD.  The problem of higher
cancer mortality rates among patients over 65 thus becomes even more urgent.
     
Understanding the higher mortality rates in older cancer patients may depend
on understanding the possible roles played by the physiological changes with
age, the patho-physiology of age-related diseases, and the interactions of
many medications consumed by older persons.  There is little known about the
roles of these factors in the development and progression of cancers in
elderly patients.  Using animal models, gerontologists reported that genetic
instability developed during aging proved damaging to the normal controls of
cell growth.  Although expression of protooncogenes and responses to growth
factors decrease in senescent cells, certain elements, e.g. c-myc, exhibit an
age-dependent increased expression to an abnormally high level in some tissues
(intestine, kidney, liver and spleen) in aging animals.  Analogous molecular
alterations have been reported in tumor progression of certain cancers.
However, there is not enough information to permit an unbiased evaluation of
any correlation between molecular alterations with specific tumor stages, and
no comparative study has been done on the molecular and cellular alterations
related to senescence with the same events in tumors of the aging patients.
For example, it is not known if cellular growth rate, which generally
decreases with aging, bears any relationship to the malignant phenotype of a
tumor.  Moreover, although there are many speculations on relationships of
growth rates, invasiveness, and metastatic properties of the tumor to host
age, few well-controlled studies in either animal models or patients have been
done which relate these processes to host age.
     
The interaction of the immune system with tumors in elderly patients is also
not well understood.  Although it has generally been assumed that immune
competence decreases with age, the relationships between specific immune
deficiencies and tumor growth and progression have yet to be fully analyzed.
Older patients pose complex problems for therapy in view of the many
physiological changes and chronic illnesses associated with aging.
Furthermore, phenotypic expressions of the multi-drug resistance genes, drug
metabolizing enzymes and membrane transport properties of tumor cells in
elderly cancer patients are not well understood.  The development of drug
resistance in cancer cells of elderly patients during the course of treatment
would constitute a severe problem in chemotherapy.
     
III.  RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
     
The overall thrust of this program announcement is to stimulate and encourage
a broad spectrum of investigator-initiated research to develop basic
information relevant to the intrinsic and extrinsic factors contributing to
age-related cancers (e.g., breast, prostate, colorectal and ovarian
carcinomas).  Collaborations among oncologists, molecular biologists,
immunologists and gerontologists are greatly encouraged.  Innovative and
imaginative research proposals are needed to generate and integrate
information at the molecular genetic, cellular, immunological and clinical
levels.  The development of new information on the age-related differences
between cancer patients over and under 65 regarding the phenotypic and
genotypic properties of tumor cells (such as expression of oncogenes,
suppressor genes, growth factors and their receptors) and tumor-host
interactions, may contribute to improvements in cancer prevention, diagnosis
and treatment.
     
The Division of Cancer Biology, Diagnosis and Centers Cooperative Human Tissue
Network, supported by the National Cancer Institute, provides cancer
researchers and potential applicants of this program announcement access to
human tissues (depending on their availability) for research.  Provision has
been made for collection of tumors from the younger patients with tumors that
     
             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 16, April 20, 1990 - Page 7
usually occur in elderly patients.  It is, however, the responsibility of the
potential applicant to ensure that there is adequate availability of the
materials necessary for conduct of the proposed research.
     
IV.  MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
     
This program will be supported through traditional research grants such as
RO1, PO1, and the First Award, R29.  Awards will be administered in accordance
with the Public Health Service Grant Policy Statement, DHHS Publication No.
(OASH) 82-50,000, revised January 1, 1987.
     
V. ELIGIBILITY
     
Non-profit and for-profit domestic organizations and institutions, governments
and their agencies are eligible to apply.
     
VI.  APPLICATION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
     
Applications in response to this announcement should be submitted on form
PHS-398, revised 10/88, available in the business or grant office at most
academic or research institutions or from the Division of Research Grants,
National Institutes of Health, Westwood Building, Room 240, Bethesda, Maryland
20892.  Applications may be submitted for a period of five years and will be
eligible for competitive renewal.  The applicant should indicate clearly in
item 2 of the face page that the application is "IN RESPONSE TO PA-90-04,
UNDERLYING MOLECULAR, CELLULAR AND IMMUNOLOGICAL FACTORS IN AGE-RELATED
CANCERS".
     
Applications will be accepted in accordance with the published dates for
receipt of new applications:
     
June 1      October 1      February 1
     
Potential applicants intending to submit an application to this program
announcement are encouraged to contact:
     
Dr. Stringner Sue Yang
Division of Cancer Biology, Diagnosis, and Centers
National Cancer Institute
Executive Plaza North
Room 308
6130 Executive Boulevard
Rockville, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-8531
     
All applications in response to this program announcement will be assigned to
an Initial Review Group in accordance with the established PHS Referral
Guidelines, and reviewed by the usual Public Health Service Peer Review (Study
Section) procedures.  Review criteria include the significance and originality
of research goals and approaches; feasibility of research and adequacy of
experimental design; adequacy of available facilities and appropriateness of
the requested budget relative to the work proposed.  Following the Study
Section review, the applications will receive a second-level review by one or
more National Advisory Boards or Councils.  Funding decisions will be based on
the above evaluations and on the availability of funds.
     
This program is advertised in the NIH Guide For Grants and Contracts and
described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance under Cancer Biology
Research, 13.396.  Awards will be made under authorization of the Public
Health Service Act, Title IV, Section 301(c), (Public Law 78-410, as amended;
42 USC 241; sections 410 and 411, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 U.S.C.
285 and 285(a) and administered under PHS grant policies and Federal
regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to
the intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372, or Health
Systems Agency Review.

     

     

     

     

             NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 16, April 20, 1990 - Page 8