Subject: (Copy) NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 25, July 6, 1990
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 90 08:44 EST

Good Morning Paul,
   The NIH Guide has arrived.  There will be the Guide and one RFA
to post this morning.  Please post the NIH Guide as:
   NIHGUIDE.070690
   Thanks.  Have a nice day.
                            Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
     
X-comment: NIH Guide (including TOC) contained 8 pages (640 lines)
X-comment: RFAs described:  HL-90-11-P

     

     
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 25, July 6, 1990

                                   NOTICES

NOTICE OF MEETING:  E-GUIDE ACCESS .....................(84/202)............. 1
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

NIH EXTRAMURAL PROGRAM INFORMATION AVAILABLE ELECTRONICALLY VIA
THE NIH GRANT LINE .....................................(205/296)............ 2
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

CVD NUTRITION EDUCATION FOR LOW LITERACY SKILLS (RFA HL-90-11-P) ............ 3
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute           (302/359, 644/1110)
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

RESEARCH ON THE PREVALENCE AND IMPACT OF DRUG USE IN THE
WORKPLACE (PA-90-19) ...............................(365/568)................ 4
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Index:  DRUG ABUSE

                                   ERRATUM

COOPERATIVE CLINICAL TRIALS IN TRANSPLANTATION (RFA AI-90-07) ..(574/593).... 7
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
     
                                   NOTICES

NOTICE OF MEETING:  E-GUIDE ACCESS
     
P.T. 16; K.W. 1004017
     
National Institutes of Health
     
Nearly a year has passed since the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts became
widely available electronically, mainly via BITNET.  This electronic form of
the Guide, known as the E-Guide, eventually will become the sole means for
distributing the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts.  The present version of
the Guide has been made possible because of the input, ideas, and cooperation
of a large number of individuals, both outside of and within the National
Institutes of Health.
     
As stated in some earlier announcements, a meeting will be held in the
Bethesda area on Friday, September 7, 1990, to discuss the E-Guide.  This
meeting is an opportunity for new users to become familiar with the E-Guide
and for current users to help shape the E-Guide of the future.  The goals of
the meeting are to:
     
  o  help users and institutions gain additional information about the
     use and structure of the E-Guide
     
  o  share useful approaches for accessing, using, and distributing the
     Guide
     
  o  provide demonstrations and opportunities for hands-on experience
     with using the E-Guide
     
  o  define format changes that could be made at the NIH and other
     changes that could be made locally at institutions which would
     maximize the usefulness of the E-Guide.
     
This meeting is intended to bring people together to address issues of
importance to both small and large institutions regarding electronic access of
the Guide and should be of interest to less experienced, as well as more
sophisticated, users of the electronic system.
     
The meeting, which will begin at 8:30 a.m. and last until 4:30 p.m., will
include formal presentations, on-line and simulated demonstrations, and lots
of general and small-group discussions.  The following presentations are
planned:
     
  o  The current E-Guide System and How it is Prepared, by William K.
     Jones, NIH
     
  o  Primary E-Mail Distribution Via The BITNET LISTSERV System, by John
     Paul Elrod, Johns Hopkins University
     
  o  Access By Anonymous FTP Via Internet, by Kenneth Yow, The
     University of North Carolina
     
  o  Tools for Managing the E-Guide, by Karl Hittelman, The University
     of California at San Francisco
     
  o  Indexing:  Current Reality and Dreams for the Future, by John
     James, NIH
     
  o  Options and Issues of Particular Interest to the Smaller
     Institutions, by Nicholas Suszynski
     
There is no charge for the meeting, but registration is limited to ninety
participants.  You may register by sending the information requested below, by
August 7, to:
     
Ms. Claire Blados
Institutional Liaison Office
Building 31, Room 5B31
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-5366
BITNET:  Q2C@NIHCU

     
     
              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 25, July 6, 1990 - Page 1
E-GUIDE ACCESS MEETING REGISTRATION
     
NAME___________________________________
     
INSTITUTION____________________________
     
ADDRESS________________________________
     
__________________________________
     
__________________________________
     
BITNET ADDRESS_________________________
     
TELEPHONE______________________________
     
Additional information will be sent to registrants in August.  You should make
your own hotel arrangements directly, by August 7.  Three hotels that are
fairly nearby are:
     
Crowne Plaza Holiday Inn
1750 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD  20852
Telephone: (301) 468-1100
Government rates:  $84.00 plus 10% tax - single
                   $94.00 plus 10% tax - double
(A block of rooms has been reserved at the Crowne Plaza for September 6.  In
calling to make a reservation, please identify yourself as an attendee at the
September 7 Electronic Transmission of the Guide (NIH) meeting.)
     
Days Inn
1775 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD  20850
Telephone: (301) 881-2300
Government rates:  $79.00 plus 10% tax - single
                   $84.00 plus 10% tax - double
     
Bethesda Marriott
5151 Pooks Hill Road
Bethesda, MD  20814
Telephone:  (301) 897-9400
Government rates:  $84.00 plus 10% tax - single or double

NIH EXTRAMURAL PROGRAM INFORMATION AVAILABLE ELECTRONICALLY VIA THE NIH GRANT
LINE
     
P.T. 16; K.W. 1004017
     
National Institutes of Health
     
Previous issues of the NIH Guide announced the electronic availability of the
NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts (Vol.  18, No. 20, June 9, 1989) and the
DRG Grants Inquiries On-Line System of extramural program guidelines (Vol.
18, No. 28, August 18, 1989) through computer networks such as Bitnet (CREN)
and Internet.  Since then, participants have been sent these files
automatically at the time of update.  A new and additional electronic
information service, the NIH GRANT LINE, merges files containing the NIH
Guide, the Grants Inquiries On-line NIH extramural program guidelines, and the
organizational section of the NIH Telephone Directory.  This makes it more
convenient for research organizations with modest computer resources to obtain
NIH extramural program information electronically.  Institutions that
currently receive the NIH Guide and other NIH program related materials
electronically via computer networks through their institutional hubs will
continue to receive those materials by the previously established pathways,
with no change in existing arrangements.
     
Now, organizations and individuals who do not have access to information
networks such as Internet or Bitnet may receive NIH extramural program
information electronically using a personal computer, modem, and
communications software that is available in most colleges, universities and
research organizations.  The NIH GRANT LINE can be used to download weekly
issues of the NIH Guide, the latest revisions of Program Announcements and
Guidelines, the Extramural Green Pages (abbreviated NIH Telephone Directory)
and other items such as indexes to the Guide.  The Program Announcements and
Guidelines are the same as those that have been distributed by the Grants
Inquiries Office in the Division of Research Grants.  Those who are currently
receiving documents electronically from the DRG Grants Inquiries On-Line
     
              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 25, July 6, 1990 - Page 2
System may use either the old or the new system at the present time; however,
we plan to merge the two systems into the NIH GRANT LINE in the near future.
Any questions about the Grants Inquiries files relating to program guidelines
may be addressed to Ms. Sue Meadows, tel.  (301) 496-7441.  Questions about
obtaining either the NIH Guide (and its indexes) or the Extramural Green Pages
via the NIH GRANT LINE may be addressed to Dr. John C. James at (301)
496-7554.
     
The brief description, in this announcement, of the technical requirements for
receiving the NIH GRANT LINE files electronically is intended to help users to
get started as soon as they are ready.  If you have difficulty downloading the
documents, we suggest that you first seek technical assistance locally before
contacting the NIH.
     
Please note that this facility is intended only for those whose organizations
are not members of Bitnet or Internet.  After a trial period of approximately
six months, the data on usage of the files will be analyzed and comments from
users will be welcomed to assist in the evaluation of the trial.
     
To those who have already tested a prototype of the NIH GRANT LINE by using
the public initials "GT4", we express our thanks for their comments and for
the experience we have gained.  That early system will be discontinued on
August 1, 1990.  However, the new service described in this announcement will
have the same kinds of information plus some new items such as bulletins,
notices of publications and other features that will be added in the future.
     
INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOWNLOADING MATERIAL INTERACTIVELY
     
It is possible to download copies of the NIH GRANT LINE documents, stored at
the NIH Computer Center in Bethesda, Maryland, using a personal computer and a
modem.  For this process, you will need a personal computer, a 1200 or 2400
baud modem, and a terminal emulation program to run on your PC.  The terminal
emulation program must support raw file downloading (a facility that allows
you to store in a file everything that is displayed on the PC screen during
the downloading process).  All the most popular terminal emulators, KERMIT,
Telios, PROCOM, etc.  for the IBM, and VersaTerm for the MAC, support raw file
downloading.  Consult the documentation for your particular terminal emulator
to find how it is done.
     
  1. Configure your terminal emulator as:  speed indicated by the modem
     being used, even parity, 7 data bits, 1 stop bit, Local Echo on
     (sometimes referred to as Local Copy on or Half Duplex).
     
  2. Using the procedure specified in your setup, dial 1-301-492-2221.
     When you get a response indicating that you have been connected,
     type ",GEN1" and press ENTER; you will be prompted by the NIH
     system for "INITIALS?".  Type BB5 and press ENTER.  You will then
     be prompted for "ACCOUNT?".  Type CCS2 and press ENTER.
     
This process will cause a menu to be displayed that will allow you to access
the online NIH Telephone Directory (the Extramural Green Pages), download one
or more versions of the NIH Guide, or download one or more of the files from
NIH Program Announcements and Guidelines.  Follow the instructions given by
the program to successfully download the desired information.  When you have
finished the session, you will automatically be signed off and can process the
downloaded information on your personal computer.

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

CVD NUTRITION EDUCATION FOR LOW LITERACY SKILLS
     
RFA AVAILABLE:  HL-90-11-P
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0710095, 0502028, 0715040, 0411005
     
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
     
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  August 15, 1990
Application Receipt Date:  October 16, 1990
     
The Prevention and Demonstration Research Branch of the Division of
Epidemiology and Clinical Applications, National Heart, Lung, and Blood
Institute (NHLBI), announces the availability of a Request for Applications
(RFA) for the development and validation of nutrition education programs to
reduce cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors related to nutrition

              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 25, July 6, 1990 - Page 3
(elevated blood cholesterol, moderately elevated blood pressure, and obesity)
in at-risk adults with low literacy skills.
     
This special grant program will support research to develop innovative
nutrition education methods and materials for adults with low literacy skills
and CVD risk factors and to evaluate these materials for comprehension and
efficacy in modifying CVD risks.
     
Prospective applicants are advised that the RFA solicits a multi-disciplinary
approach to developing materials for this underserved population, with
involvement of various members of the health care team (such as physicians,
nutritionists, nurses, educators, behavioral scientists, including cognitive,
social, and clinical psychologists) as well as specialists in communication,
educational technology, and instructional design.  This RFA is limited to
education in the English language.
     
The mechanism for this program will be the traditional, individual,
research-project grant.  Although the financial plans for fiscal year 1991
include approximately $1,000,000 for the total costs (direct and indirect) of
this program, support of grants pursuant to this RFA is contingent upon
receipt of funds for this purpose.  It is anticipated that approximately three
or four grants will be awarded under this one-time solicitation.
     
Timetable
     
Letters of Intent             August 15, 1990
Application Receipt Date      October 16, 1990
Technical Review              February/March 1991
Advisory Council Review       May 1991
Award Date                    August 1, 1991
     
Inquiries and requests for copies of the RFA should be made to:
     
Nancy C. Santanello, M.D., M.S.
Division of Epidemiology and Clinical Applications
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
Federal Building, Room 604
7550 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

RESEARCH ON THE PREVALENCE AND IMPACT OF DRUG USE IN THE WORKPLACE
     
PA:  PA-90-19
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0404009, 0725020, 0755030, 0404000, 0414000, 0715195
     
National Institute on Drug Abuse
     
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has an interest in research on
drug use and drug abuse as they relate to the workplace.  NIDA's interest
encompasses a broad range of topics generally subsumed under the areas of
prevalence, etiology, and impact of drug use by the workforce.  This differs
from previous program efforts in that the focus is upon the worksite and the
workforce.  Given that a large majority of the adult population of the U.S. is
employed, worksite programs may have unique potential for reducing drug use
and its adverse consequences in a large proportion of the drug using
population.  Estimates from NIDA's National Household Survey suggest that 70
percent of illicit drug users are employed.
     
The goals of this program are to encourage systematic research on the impact
of drug use and abuse in the workplace and studies of the prevalence and
etiology of workplace-related drug use and abuse.  This effort will, by
necessity, be cross-disciplinary, and individual and collaborative proposals
are encouraged from researchers from relevant areas, including but not limited
to psychology, epidemiology, sociology, business and labor relations, public
health, management, and economics.
     
Areas of Interest
     
I. Impact of drug use in the workplace
     
Of primary importance to NIDA are studies of the direct and indirect effects
of acute and chronic use of drugs on behaviors relevant to job performance.
While laboratory research has demonstrated that basic psychomotor and
     
              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 25, July 6, 1990 - Page 4
cognitive skills relevant to job performance are impaired by some drugs,
research on simulated job performance as well as field studies of the
relationships between drug use and other indicators of performance, such as
absenteeism, accidents and injuries, job turnover, health care costs,
supervisory ratings, and other measures of productivity, are generally
lacking.
     
A. Productivity, health, and safety research
     
Research on the relationships between drug use and accidents and injuries
under various conditions in various occupations is encouraged.
     
Increasing use of sick leave, rising costs of medical and disability benefits,
early retirement, and compensation settlements all have costs that may, in
part, be attributable to drug abuse.  As the focus of health care in our
society shifts more and more to cost containment, more accurate estimates of
the impact of drug abuse on health costs are needed.
     
Investigation of the effects of drug use on measures of productivity, such as
absenteeism, turnover, worker output, supervisory ratings, and quality of
products and services, are of interest.  In addition to such
performance-related issues, an important area of research is the determination
of the impact of acute and chronic use of drugs on learning, motivation, and
memory.  These functional changes can impact job productivity in a direct
manner.  Also of interest are studies of the impact of workplace drug use or
perceived drug use on the productivity of non-users.
     
Since drug-seeking behavior, administration, acute and chronic intoxication,
hangover and withdrawal phases of drug usage may all have effects on
performance, studies that attempt to avoid concentrating on a single phase of
the drug-use cycle are encouraged.
     
B. Development of Performance Assessment Methods
     
NIDA is interested in supporting studies to develop and apply performance
assessment methods for assessing drug-impaired functioning in the workplace.
     
1.  Job Performance Standards
     
Advances in performance measurement, appraisal procedures, and utility
analysis (i.e., estimating the value of an employee's performance to an
organization), offer promise for application to the field of drug abuse
research.  For example, job analysis and behavioral rating scale techniques
could be used to establish baseline standards of job performance for detection
of changes induced by drug use.  Indicator menus for performance difficulties
(e.g., ways to recognize changes in performance over time that can be used by
peers and supervisors) can be developed to provide for more reliable and valid
assessment of performance change.
     
2.  Performance Assessment Batteries
     
Intrusive means of obtaining biological samples (such as drawing blood) are
generally problematic, and research to date indicates that behavioral
impairment does not correlate well with the plasma concentrations of most
drugs.  NIDA is interested in exploring alternative non-intrusive ways of
assessing drug-impaired functioning.  In addition to interest in the
development and application of job performance standards, it seems plausible
that research methods from the areas of behavioral pharmacology, human factors
and engineering psychology, psychophysics, and complex human performance could
be applied to develop a single or perhaps small battery of test procedures to
assess acute and chronic drug effects on work and academic performance.
     
The performance assessment battery should yield indices that are strongly and
consistently correlated with changes in the criterion performance.  It also
should provide indices that permit estimation of the contribution to
performance change due to both non-drug-related factors, (e.g., fatigue, age,
primary sensory or motor impairment) and drug-related factors.  Moreover, if
drugs are judged as significant contributors to the impairment, the battery
should provide at least a rough estimate of the class of substance likely to
be involved (e.g., stimulants, depressants, hallucinogens, narcotics, and
possible drug combinations).
     
C. Simulation and Field Studies
     
The question of whether studying drug effects on an isolated aspect of a
particular task (e.g., tracking or reaction time) adequately represents the
more complex behavior one is attempting to assess (e.g. monitoring radar,
driving a motor vehicle, decision-making), remains controversial.  Proposals
     
              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 25, July 6, 1990 - Page 5
to utilize simulations of workplace environments and actual field studies are
encouraged to examine the correlations among drug use, simple and complex
measures of workplace performance, and other simpler behavioral measures.
Both acute and chronic effects of drugs, as well as "hangover" effects, are
important to consider.
     
II.  Prevalence and etiology of workplace-related drug use
     
While national research efforts provide information on the prevalence of drug
use in the general public it has proven difficult to characterize the general
nature and extent of drug use and abuse in the workforce.  Prevalence
estimates of the extent of drug use in the American workforce, as well as for
specific companies or types of businesses or occupations, are important both
as indicators of the extent of drug use and as baseline/followup measures for
evaluations of workplace drug programs.
     
Studies are encouraged to develop and utilize valid and reliable methods of
assessing incidence and prevalence of drug use by the workforce and at the
workplace in various segments of business and industry and in various
occupations.  Research is needed to compare and contrast prevalence estimation
techniques currently in use in work-related populations, with appropriate
consideration of issues of reliability and validity.  The three principal
data-collection methods currently in use are chemical testing of biological
samples, self-report surveys, and on-the-job observation and referral.
Prevalence estimates based on chemical testing, such as urinalysis, provide a
tool for epidemiological investigations of drug use by the workforce but have
limitations because traces of most drugs are detectable for only a few days.
Self-report data can provide an accurate estimate of prevalence rates and
patterns of drug use, as long as these data are collected appropriately.
Observation and referral are most useful in detecting acute impairment or
later stage impairment due to chronic use.
     
While NIDA has long had an interest in the etiology of drug use and abuse,
research has focused primarily on adolescent populations.  This announcement
encourages research to examine the relationships among worker characteristics,
job characteristics, organizational environment, and patterns of drug use and
its consequences.  Studies to identify workers who may be vulnerable to
specific kinds of stressors in the work environment are of interest along with
those that focus on job/organizational characteristics across different worker
populations.
     
Inclusion of Women in Study Populations
     
Applicants are urged to consider the inclusion of women in the study
populations for all clinical research efforts.  Exceptions would be studies of
diseases which exclusively affect males or where involvement of pregnant women
may expose the fetus to undue risks.  Gender differences should be noted and
evaluated.  If women are not to be included, a clear rationale should be
provided for their exclusion.
     
In order to provide more precise information to the treatment community, it is
recommended that publications resulting from Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental
Health Administration-supported research in which the study population was
limited to one sex for any reason other than that the disease or condition
studied exclusively affects that sex, should state, in the abstract summary,
the gender of the population studied, e.g., "male patients," "male
volunteers," "female patients," "female volunteers".
     
Inclusion of Minorities in Study Populations
     
Applicants are urged to give attention (where feasible and appropriate) to the
inclusion of minorities in study populations for research into the etiology of
diseases, research in behavioral and social sciences, clinical studies of
treatment and treatment outcomes, research on the dynamics of health care and
its impact on disease, and appropriate interventions for disease prevention
and health promotion.  If minorities are not included in a given study, a
clear rationale for their exclusion should be provided.
     
Inquiries
     
Further information and consultation on NIDA's program requirements can be
obtained from:

     

     
     
              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 25, July 6, 1990 - Page 6
Steven W. Gust, Ph.D.
Workplace Performance and Technical Research Branch
Division of Applied Research
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Parklawn Building, Room 9A-53
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-6014

                                   ERRATUM

COOPERATIVE CLINICAL TRIALS IN TRANSPLANTATION
     
RFA:  AI-90-07
     
P.T. 34; K.W. 0745065, 0755015, 0745045, 0745040
     
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
     
The following is a correction notice to reflect a change in the Request for
Applications (RFA) entitled "Cooperative Clinical Trials in Transplantation",
published in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts Volume 19, No. 19, on May
18, 1990.
     
As written, the objective of this study is to evaluate new and currently used
immunotherapeutic protocols in the treatment and prevention of acute kidney
graft rejection.  It is the desire of NIAID staff not to limit the protocols
to acute kidney graft rejection.  Therefore, every place where acute kidney
graft rejection is mentioned in the Announcement and in the RFA, the word
acute should be deleted.  Copies of the RFA requested from Program staff as
listed in the Announcement reflect this change.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     
     
              NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 25, July 6, 1990 - Page 7