Subject: NIH Guide - Vol. l9, No. 29, August l0, l990
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 90 08:51 EST

Good Morning,
   This is the first of four items coming to you this morning for
the August l0th NIH Listserver posting.
   Please post this one as: NIHGUIDE.081090
       Thanks.
              Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990

                                   NOTICES

NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH REGIONAL WORKSHOPS ON IMPLEMENTATION OF THE
PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE POLICY ON HUMANE CARE AND USE FOR LABORATORY
ANIMALS ....................................................(84/182)......... 1
National Institutes of Health
Index:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

ACADEMIC AWARDS:  GERIATRIC MENTAL HEALTH ACADEMIC AWARD, CHILD AND
ADOLESCENT MENTAL HEALTH ACADEMIC AWARD, AND THE SCHIZOPHRENIA
ACADEMIC AWARD .............................................(185/237)........ 2
National Institute of Mental Health
Index:  MENTAL HEALTH

                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

CLINICAL STUDIES OF THERAPIES FOR SEVERE HERPESVIRUS INFECTIONS (RFP) ....... 3
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases       (244/285)
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES

MAINTENANCE OF INTERNATIONAL BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT REGISTRY (RFP) .......... 3
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases    (288/332)
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES

MASTER AGREEMENT FOR MECHANISM OF ACTION AND BIOCHEMICAL PHARMACOLOGY
STUDIES OF ANTITUMOR AGENTS (RFP) ..........................(335/391)........ 4
National Cancer Institute
Index:  CANCER

BIOLOGICAL TESTING FACILITY (RFP) ..........................(401/447)........ 5
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Index:  CHILD HEALTH, HUMAN DEVELOPMENT

CULTIVATION OF CYANOBACTERIA (BLUE-GREEN ALGAE) (RFP) ......(450/510)........ 5
National Cancer Institute
Index:  CANCER

MECHANISMS OF DAMAGE CAUSED BY CARDIOPULMONARY BYPASS (RFA HL-90-12-H) ...... 6
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute           (513/570, 1044/1548)
Index:  HEART, LUNG, BLOOD

NATIONAL COOPERATIVE PROGRAM ON CULTURE CONDITIONS FOR NON-HUMAN IN VITRO
FERTILIZATION AND PREIMPLANTATION DEVELOPMENT (RFA HD-90-12) ..(573/645)..... 7
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development     (1551/2113)
Index:  CHILD HEALTH, HUMAN DEVELOPMENT

INDEX MARKERS FOR A FRAMEWORK LINKAGE MAP OF THE HUMAN GENOME
(RFA HG-90-02) ......................................(648/783, 2116/2441).... 8
National Center for Human Genome Research
Index:  HUMAN GENOME

                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

RESEARCH ON FIBER TOXICOLOGY (PA-90-23) .............(804/978)...............10
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Index:  ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCES

                                    ERRATA

SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES COOPERATIVE RESEARCH CENTERS (RFA AI-90-03) ...12
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases   (984/1030)
Index:  ALLERGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASES
                                   NOTICES

NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH REGIONAL WORKSHOPS ON IMPLEMENTATION OF THE
PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE POLICY ON HUMANE CARE AND USE FOR LABORATORY ANIMALS
 
P.T. 42; K.W. 0201011, 1014003
 
National Institutes of Health
 
The National Institutes of Health (NIH), Office for Protection from Research
Risks (OPRR), will sponsor four workshops on implementing the Public Health
Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.  Each of the four
workshops scheduled for FY 1991 will focus on a specific topic.
 
The workshops are open to institutional administrators, members of
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees, laboratory animal veterinarians,
investigators, and other institutional staff who have responsibility for
high-quality management of sound institutional animal care and use programs.
 
SPONSOR:  UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND
36 Upper College Road
University of Rhode Island
Kingston, RI  02881
 
DATE:  DECEMBER 3-4, 1990
 
CONTACT:  URI Conference Center - (401) 792-2170
Mr. Kevin McAndrews - (401) 792-2833
 
TOPIC:  PROBLEMS OF SMALL VS. LARGE INSTITUTIONS
 
SPONSOR:  THE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA
Attn:  Carol Reed, Registration Coordinator
Department of Comparative Medicine, 704 BSB
Charleston, SC  29425-2216
 
DATE:  APRIL 4-5, 1991
 
CONTACT:  Dr. M. Michael Swindle - (803) 792-3625
 
TOPIC:  SURGERY AND POST-SURGICAL CARE
 
SPONSOR:  WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Continuing Medical Education
Box 8063
660 South Euclid
St. Louis, MO  63110
 
DATE:  MAY 2-3, 1991
 
CONTACT:  Ms. Loretta Giacoletto - (314) 362-6891 or
1-800-325-9862
 
TOPIC:  RECURRENT CONTROVERSIES IN PROTOCOL REVIEW
 
SPONSOR:  UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
Department of Comparative Medicine
Box SB-42
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195
 
DATE:  SEPTEMBER 12-13, 1991
 
CONTACT:  Ms. Gail Wolz - (206) 543-9678
 
TOPIC:  RESOLVING THE ETHICAL DILEMMAS IN ANIMAL PROTOCOL REVIEW
 
Reproposal of Part 3, Subparts A and D of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Animal Welfare Regulations
is scheduled for release in August of 1990.  Subpart A (dogs and cats)
includes standards for the exercise of dogs and Subpart D (primates) includes
standards for a "physical environment adequate to promote the psychological
well-being of nonhuman primates."  The Public Health Service (PHS) Policy
requires compliance with the APHIS regulations.
 
The National Institutes of Health, Office for Protection from Research Risks,
is cosponsoring with the University of California, Los Angeles, on September
 
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990 - Page 1
9 - 11, at the Lake Arrowhead Conference Center, an animal welfare education
program which will focus on institutional programs and procedures to meet the
reproposed APHIS requirements for dogs, cats, and nonhuman primates.
 
For further information contact:
 
Ms. Gitta Walton
Director, Human Subjects and Animal Research Policy
6-956 Factor Building
UCLA
Los Angeles, CA  90024-1694
Telephone:  (213) 825-8714
 
For information concerning future workshops, contact:
 
Mrs. Roberta Sonneborn
Executive Assistant for Animal Welfare Education
Office for Protection from Research Risks
Building 31, Room 5B59
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7163

ACADEMIC AWARDS:  GERIATRIC MENTAL HEALTH ACADEMIC AWARD, CHILD AND ADOLESCENT
MENTAL HEALTH ACADEMIC AWARD, AND THE SCHIZOPHRENIA ACADEMIC AWARD
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0710010, 0715095, 0715177, 0785185
 
National Institute of Mental Health
 
The National Institute of Mental Health announces a change in the duration of
support for the Mental Health Academic Awards.  The three awards included are
the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Academic Award, the Geriatric Mental
Health Academic Award, and the Schizophrenia Academic Award.
 
The Academic Award is designed to provide support to acquire the skills to
assume leadership in teaching and to be a research resource, as well as a
researcher, in the mental health areas of geriatric disorders, child and
adolescent disorders, or schizophrenia.  The awards are limited to
psychiatrists and psychiatric nurses with master's degrees.
 
Beginning with the October 1, 1990, grant receipt date, all new and revised
applications for these awards should be for 5 years; requests for less than 5
years will not be accepted.  Any approved, but not yet funded applications for
3 years of support may be withdrawn and resubmitted for 5 years.
 
Any current holder of a 3-year award may, prior to termination of that award,
apply for an additional 2 years of support.  Any previous academic awardee who
received 3 years of support, but whose project period is terminated may not
apply for an additional 2 years.
 
A revised Announcement for Academic Awards will be issued in 1991.
 
Inquiries:  Potential applicants may seek information and consultation from
the staff of the Division of Clinical Research, NIMH at 5600 Parklawn Dr.,
Rockville, MD 20857.
 
Leonard Lash, Ph.D
Associate Director for Research Training
Room 10-99
Telephone:  (301) 443-3264
 
Eleanor Dibble, D.S.W.
Child and Adolescent Disorders Research Branch
Room 10-104
Telephone:  (301) 443-5944
 
David Shore, M.D.
Schizophrenia Research Branch
Room 10C-06
Telephone:  (301) 443-4707
 
Enid Light, Ph.D.
Mental Disorders of the Aging Research Branch
Room 11C-03
Telephone:  (301) 443-1185

            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990 - Page 2
                   NOTICES OF AVAILABILITY (RFPs AND RFAs)

CLINICAL STUDIES OF THERAPIES FOR SEVERE HERPESVIRUS INFECTIONS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  RFP-NIH-NIAID-DMID-91-21
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0755015, 0715125, 1002045, 0745070
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
 
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) has a
requirement for the conduct of Clinical Studies of Therapies for Severe
Herpesvirus Infections.
 
The Antiviral Research Branch, Division of Microbiology and Infectious
Diseases Program, NIAID, is seeking a multicenter collaborative groups to
continue ongoing clinical trials and conduct new trials to evaluate new
therapies for severe herpesvirus infections (including herpes encephalitis,
neonatal herpes, varicella zoster virus, and cytomegalovirus infections).  The
NIAID solicits proposals from medical institutions qualified to serve as the
sole Contracting Unit or as the Central Unit of a collaborative trial.  The
Contractor must have demonstrated experience in the clinical evaluation of
antivirals and the demonstrated capacity to organize and administer a
collaborative clinical study.  This announcement is for the recompetition of
Contract No. N01-AI-62554 currently held by the University of Alabama.  The
Request for Proposals (RFP) was issued on July 19, 1990, and proposals are due
by close of business on September 14, 1990.  One (1) award is anticipated, and
it is expected that a completion contract will be funded over a period of five
years.  Any responsible offeror may submit a proposal which will be considered
by the Government.
 
To receive a copy of RFP-NIH-NIAID-DMID-91-21, please supply this office with
a written request, citing the RFP number together with two self-addressed
mailing labels addressed to:
 
Mr. Thomas C. Porter
Contracting Officer
Contract Management Branch, NIAID
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 707
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
This advertisement does not commit the Government to make an award.

MAINTENANCE OF INTERNATIONAL BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT REGISTRY
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  RFP-NIH-NIAID-DAIT-91-23
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0705005, 0745065, 0780030
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
 
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) has a
requirement for the Maintenance of International Bone Marrow Transplant
Registry.
 
The Genetics and Transplantation Branch of the Allergy Immunology and
Transplantation Division, NIAID, has a requirement for the maintenance of a
statistical center for the collection, organization, and analysis of clinical
data provided by bone marrow transplant teams throughout the world.  Offerors
should have demonstrated expertise in statistical analysis and in large-scale
data management utilizing computer technology.  This NIAID-sponsored project
shall take approximately five years to complete.  This shall be a cost
reimbursement type contract.  The work will require a knowledge of
immunogenetics, bone marrow transplantation, immunodeficiences, collaboration
with bone marrow transplant centers, and analysis of data from clincical
studies.  It is anticipated that only one award will be awarded by the
Government.  Any responsible offeror may submit a proposal which will be
considered by the government.
 
RFP-NIH-NIAID-DAIT-91-23 was issued on July 20, 1990.  This announcement has
appeared in the Commerce Business Daily and is republished here for
information only.  Proposals will be due by close of business September 4,
1990.  To receive a copy of this RFP, please supply this office with a request

            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990 - Page 3
in writing and two self-addressed mailing labels addressed to the office
below:
 
Ms. Merilee Rahe-Stoline
Contract Specialist
Contract Management Branch
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Westwood Building, Room 707
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
 
This advertisement does not commit the Government to make an award.

MASTER AGREEMENT FOR MECHANISM OF ACTION AND BIOCHEMICAL PHARMACOLOGY STUDIES
OF ANTITUMOR AGENTS
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NCI-CM-17504-74
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0710100, 1003002, 0740020
 
National Cancer Institute
 
RFP NO.  NCI-CM-17504-74 will be issued upon request to Odessa S. Henderson,
Contract Specialist, on or about August 6, 1990 and proposals will be due
approximately September 28, 1990.
 
The Developmental Therapeutics Program (DTP), Division of Cancer Treatment,
National Cancer Institute (NCI), is interested in receiving proposals from,
and establishing a Master Agreement with, offerors who have the capability to
evaluate the biological mechanisms of action of newly identified, potential
antitumor agents.  The majority of the compounds to be studied will have been
identified by the DTP in vitro screen utilizing a diverse panel of human tumor
cell lines arrayed in disease-specific subpanels.  Those compounds
demonstrating specific differential cytotoxic and/or growth inhibitory effects
will be considered for further evaluation.  DTP seeks to evaluate the
biochemical mechanism of action of such agents to help determine reasons for
their specificity, and to help set priorities for development.  New agents
selected on the basis of unique patterns of sensitivity may well exert their
biological effects through mechanisms different from those demonstrated for
current standard anticancer drugs.  Also, some compounds may be selected for
evaluation for other than reasons of differential specificity in the in vitro
cell line screen, e.g., antimetastatic, photosensitizing, or radiosensitizing
activities.  Thus, Master Agreement Holders should include a pool of
investigators with varying areas of expertise.  Compounds to be studied will
be selected and assigned by the Government.  Since compounds of a commercially
confidential nature (discreet) may be evaluated, pharmaceutical and chemical
firms will be excluded from the competition.  Also, since structural formulae
of discreet materials will be provided by the Government, the organization
must be willing to sign a confidentiality of information statement.  A Master
Agreement (MA) is the instrument issued to sources who respond to a Master
Agreement Announcement, and who are judged to be qualified to compete for
future orders issued under the general project area or areas described in the
MA.  MAs are competitively negotiated and awarded to more than one
organization.  This type of agreement is designed to accomplish highly
circumscribed pieces of work as promptly as possible.  The MAs which will be
awarded under this RFP will not be funded per se.  After award, MA Holders
will be invited to propose on MA Orders (MAO) as they are issued.  An MAO is a
bilateral award document issued to an MA Holder who successfully competed for
requirements described in a MAO RFP.  Individual MAOs will be issued on either
a completion or a term (level of effort) basis, whichever is deemed
appropriate by the Contracting Officer.
 
Copies of the RFP may be obtained by sending a written request to:
 
Ms. Odessa S. Henderson, Contract Specialist
National Institutes of Health
National Cancer Institute
Research Contracts Branch, TCS
Executive Plaza South, Room 603
Bethesda, MD  20892

 

 

            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990 - Page 4
BIOLOGICAL TESTING FACILITY
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NICHD-CD-90-23
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0755010, 0780000
 
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
 
The Contraceptive Development Branch of the Center for Population Research,
National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development, is seeking an
organization to operate and maintain a biological testing facility.  The
program is designed to permit the rapid evaluation of new compositions of
matter, drug formulations, delivery systems and devices.  Such evaluation
requires the availability of a broad spectrum of biological tests, assays and
analytical procedures.  These include antifertility tests in male and female
animals, bioassays, mechanism of action studies, and radioimmunoassays of
natural and synthetic hormones.  As a minimum, the offeror must have in-house
capabilities and technical staff to undertake the broad spectrum of
antifertility tests, biological assays, radioimmunoassays and
radioreceptorassays, and safety studies outlined in the statement of work;
have adequate facilities for housing rats, rabbits, and rhesus monkeys in
individual cages; have and maintain AAALAC accreditation or self-accreditation
which must be approved by the Office for Protection from Research Risks
(OPRR), NIH, for the contract period; have individuals who can be assigned to
the contract fulltime (100 percent effort); and have experience in conducting
studies under Good Laboratory Practices guidelines and be ready to perform
such studies under the contract.  All responsible sources may submit an offer
which shall be considered by the agency.  It is anticipated that one
cost-reimbursement, incrementally funded type contract will be awarded under
the RFP for a period of five years, beginning April 1, 1991.  The RFP
represents a recompetition of the project "Operation and Maintenance of a
Biological Testing Facility" being performed by EG&G Mason Research Institute,
Worcester, Massachusetts.
 
This is not a Request for Proposals.  RFP-NICHD-CD-90-23 will be issued on or
about August 13, 1990.  Proposals will be due approximately 60 days
thereafter.  Copies of the RFP may be obtained by sending written requests to
Mr. Paul J. Duska at the address listed below.  Please enclose a
self-addressed label.  Requests may also be made by FAX Telephone (301)
496-0962.
 
Paul J. Duska, Contracting Officer
Contracts Management Section, OGC
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Executive Plaza North, Room 610
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892

CULTIVATION OF CYANOBACTERIA (BLUE-GREEN ALGAE)
 
RFP AVAILABLE:  NCI-CM-17514-29
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1002027, 0780005
 
National Cancer Institute
 
The Natural Products Branch (NPB), Developmental Therapeutics Program (DTP)
Division of Cancer Treatment (DCT), National Cancer Institute (NCI), has a
requirement to isolate and grow various species of cyanobacteria to provide
NCI with a repository of cell extracts for use in new screens for antitumor/
anti-AIDS activities.  It is anticipated that one cost-reimbursement type
contract will be awarded for a five-year, incrementally funded period of
performance.  A completion form of contract is planned.
 
To be considered for such a contract, offerors must show evidence of
capability to isolate and cultivate cyanobacteria as well as possess the
expertise to accomplish:  maintenance and preservation of cultures,
optimization and scale-up of production, extraction of cells, and
concentration of extracts.  The project will require that approximately 300
axenic cultures and 700 culture equivalents be grown to obtain 1.5 to 5g
cyanobacterial cell extracts.  The contractor may be required by NCI to
scale-up cultivation of certain cultures to produce 20g to 40g of cell
extract.  This may be subcontracted.
 
The Principal Investigator (P.I.) should be trained in microbiology or
phycology, preferably at the Ph.D. level or equivalent from an accredited
school, and have at least three to five years of experience in the proposed
 
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990 - Page 5
area.  The P.I. should have a broad knowledge of culture cultivation in
particular in those areas related to growing cyanobacteria, cyanobacterial
taxonomy, sample preparations, or related fields.  The P.I. should be assigned
to the project a minimum of 50 percent of the time, be responsible for the
overall implementation of the contract, and be the NCI's key contact for the
technical aspects of the program.  The level of training of the team members
should reflect their assigned duties.  They should have experience in
taxonomy, culture isolation and preservation, culturing of cyanobacteria, and
chemical extraction.
 
RFP NO.  NCI-CM-17514-29 will be issued upon request to Clyde Williams,
Contracting Officer, on or about August 13, 1990, and proposals will be due
September 28, 1990.
 
All responsible sources may submit a proposal which shall be considered by the
NCI.  The proposed contract project represents a recompetition of contract
number N01-CM-67745 currently held by the University of Hawaii at Manoa.  This
announcement is not a request for proposal (RFP).
 
A copy of the RFP may be obtained by sending a written request to:
 
Clyde Williams
Contracting Officer
National Institutes of Health
National Cancer Institute
Research Contracts Branch
Treatment Contracts Section
Executive Plaza South, Room 603
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892

MECHANISMS OF DAMAGE CAUSED BY CARDIOPULMONARY BYPASS
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HL-90-12-H
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715040, 1002004, 0765035
 
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
 
Application Receipt Date:  December 3, 1990
 
The Devices and Technology Branch of the Division of Heart and Vascular
Diseases and the Blood Diseases Branch of the Division of Blood Diseases and
Resources announce the availability of a Request for Applications (RFA) on the
above subject.  Applications are invited for support of basic research,
studies with animal models, and clinical investigation targeted toward:  1)
obtaining a better understanding of the mechanisms of multisystem damage seen
with cardiopulmonary bypass and by the often associated technique of
profoundly hypothermic total circulatory arrest, and into the particular
susceptibility to this damage of the very young and the elderly; and 2)
developing methods of preventing or attenuating this damage.
 
Applicants are encouraged to develop their own approaches within their areas
of expertise to investigating fundamental mechanisms of the complex humoral,
cellular, and other responses to cardiopulmonary bypass; to developing
reversible methods of preventing or minimizing these responses; or to
exploring and testing in vivo newly developed methods of management.
 
In any studies involving human subjects, women and minority individuals should
be included in the study population; otherwise a clear rationale for their
exclusion must be provided in the application.  Minority institutions are
encouraged to apply, and other institutions are encouraged to established
collaborative arrangements with minority institutions.
 
The support mechanism for this program will be the traditional, individual
research grant.  Although approximately $1.2 million for this program is
included in the financial plans for fiscal year 1991, award of grants pursuant
to this RFA is contingent upon receipt of funds for this purpose.  It is
anticipated that four to six grants will be awarded under this program.  The
specific amount to be funded, however, will depend on the merit and scope of
the applications received and the availability of funds.

 

 
 
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990 - Page 6
Copies of the RFA may be obtained from:
 
Paul Didisheim, MD               Diane Lucas, PhD
Devices and Technology Branch    Blood Diseases Branch
Division of Heart and Vascular   Division of Blood Diseases
Diseases, NHLBI                  and Resources, NHLBI
Federal Building, Room 312       Federal Building, Room 5A12
NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892          NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-1586       Telephone:  (301) 496-5911
Fax:   (301) 480-6282            Fax:   (301) 496-9940

NATIONAL COOPERATIVE PROGRAM ON CULTURE CONDITIONS FOR NON-HUMAN IN VITRO
FERTILIZATION AND PREIMPLANTATION DEVELOPMENT
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HD-90-12
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0413002, 1002017, 0780000
 
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
 
Application Receipt Date:  November 20, 1990
 
OVERVIEW
 
The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) invites
applications from investigators willing to participate, with the assistance of
the NICHD under cooperative agreements, in an ongoing multisite Cooperative
Program designed to improve the culture conditions that will promote more
efficient non-human in vitro fertilization and normal oocyte and
preimplantation development in vitro for several species.  The Research
Coordinator from the Institute staff will collaborate with the principal
investigators in planning, evaluation, and publication of the research and
serve as coordinator, facilitator, and partner in the research.  It is
anticipated that there will be substantial evolution of the program as new
findings are obtained and shared.  New principles obtained from research on
one species could be rapidly tested in other species.  It is expected that up
to seven (7) awards will be made with an award period of five (5) years.
Applications received after the receipt date will not be considered.  Only
institutions in the United States will be eligible for participation.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The funding mechanism for assistance in this high priority area of research is
a cooperative agreement between each participating site and NICHD.  The major
difference between a cooperative agreement and a research grant is that there
will be substantial programmatic involvement of the Research Coordinator from
the NICHD staff above and beyond conventional program and grants management
procedures.
 
It is anticipated that up to seven awards will be made with an award period of
five years.
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications will receive a preliminary review for minimal requirements by
NICHD staff and may receive a triage review for relative scientific merit by a
peer review group.  Scientific and technical merit will be evaluated by a
special review committee convened specifically for this purpose by the
Scientific Review Program, NICHD.  A second-level review will be done by the
National Advisory Child Health and Human Development Council.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND INQUIRIES
 
Potential applicants can request further information and copies of the full
Request for Applications, which outlines the requirements for participation in
this program, from:
 
Richard J. Tasca, Ph.D.
Reproductive Sciences Branch
Center for Population Research
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
National Institutes of Health
Executive Plaza North, Room 603
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-6515

 
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990 - Page 7
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
13.864, Population Research.  Awards will be made under the authority of the
Public Health Service Act 301 (42 USC 241) and 441 (USC 289d) and administered
under PHS Grant Policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR
Part 74.  This program is not subject to A-95 or Health Systems Agency review.

INDEX MARKERS FOR A FRAMEWORK LINKAGE MAP OF THE HUMAN GENOME
 
RFA AVAILABLE:  HG-90-02
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1215018, 0760002, 1002058
 
National Center For Human Genome Research
 
Letter of Intent Receipt Date:  September 10, 1990
Application Receipt Date:  October 16, 1990
 
The National Center for Human Genome Research (NCHGR) invites applications for
assistance awards for the isolation of highly polymorphic genetic linkage
markers and the development of a framework linkage map of the human genome.
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance No.
13.172.  Awards will be made under the authority of the Public Health Service
Act, Sections 301 (Public Law 78-410, as amended 42 U.S.C. 241) and
administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52
and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the intergovernmental
review requirement of Executive Order 12373 or to Health System Agency review.
 
BACKGROUND
 
Currently, the five-year goal for the genetic linkage mapping component of the
Human Genome Program is the development of a two to five centimorgan (cM)
linkage map of the human genome (i.e., a map in which DNA markers are spaced,
on average, two cM apart and with no gaps greater than five cM between
adjacent markers).  The NIH has previously solicited applications for research
projects to develop such a high-resolution linkage map under a series of
program announcements.  The NCHGR will continue to accept applications for
such projects in response to the most recent program announcement, "Mapping,
DNA Sequencing, and Technology Development in Support of the Human Genome
Program" (NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts, Vol. 19, No. 28, July 27, 1990).
 
The development of the high-resolution human linkage map would be greatly
abetted by the construction of a "framework map" consisting of a set of
"index" markers, which would each be much more informative than typical DNA
markers.  A framework map consisting of an ordered set of highly informative
markers could be used to rapidly localize any new gene or marker to a
particular interval; efforts to map the marker to a finer resolution could
then be restricted to that interval.  Because of its usefulness in rapidly
localizing new markers to a small chromosomal region, a framework map of
highly informative markers would be useful both to scientists involved in the
localization and identification of specific genes, such as those associated
with particular diseases or syndromes, and those engaged in the construction
of high-resolution linkage maps.
 
Of the 2,000 or so polymorphic human markers that have been isolated to date,
only 10 percent or fewer are informative enough to be useful as index markers
on a framework map.  This number is not adequate to develop a maximally useful
framework map.  Furthermore, the distribution of the known highly polymorphic
markers is sufficiently non-random so that any map based on them would not be
readily usable for rapid gene localization.  A reasonable estimate is that a
useful framework map would consist of markers whose heterozygosity is 70
percent or better, with an average spacing of ten to fifteen cM between
markers.  The utility of the framework map will be further enhanced if each
marker is identified by a "sequence-tagged site", (Olson et al. [1989]
Science, Vol. 245, p. 1434).
 
Given the usefulness that a framework linkage map of the human genome would
have for laying the foundation for building a high-resolution map and for
mapping and isolating functional genes, the NCHGR is interested in supporting
research projects designed to isolate new highly polymorphic markers and
assemble them into a framework map for each human chromosome.
 
RESEARCH GOALS
 
This Request for Applications (RFA) is intended to solicit applications for
research projects designed to develop a framework linkage map of one or more
human chromosomes as described in the "Background" section.  Issues that are
 
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990 - Page 8
appropriately addressed in applications responding to this RFA include
identification and collection of existing markers, isolation of new index
markers, mapping of index markers, the relationship between the degree of
polymorphism and spacing of index markers on the framework map, criteria to be
used for determining when the framework map is complete, and error analysis
and quality control issues associated with mapping.
 
Each applicant responding to this solicitation should identify one or more
human chromosomes for which a framework map will be developed and indicate the
anticipated time needed to complete it.  It is not necessary that all of the
index markers be isolated or mapped in the applicant's own laboratory;
collaboration with other laboratories for the collection and mapping of index
markers is encouraged.
 
MATERIALS AND DATA RELEASE
 
It would be of most benefit to the entire scientific community for the
framework maps, the markers comprising them, and the data supporting the
localization of the markers to become available as rapidly as possible.  Thus,
the NCHGR is interested in the applicant's discussion of the issues involved
in making index markers and supporting data available and in plans for doing
so.
 
In developing such plans, applicants should be aware that, in order to assist
investigators in distributing markers and mapping data, the NCHGR will
identify and support an appropriate repository and/or database that is
qualified and suitable for collecting and distributing the index markers and
supporting mapping data.  The NCHGR will also support any additional costs
required by investigators for deposition of markers and data in this
repository/database.
 
MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
Support for this program will be through research project grants (R01).
Support for grants under this RFA is contingent upon the appropriation of
funds for this purpose.  It is anticipated that three million dollars will be
awarded during fiscal year 1991, although the number of awards is contingent
upon the quality and scope of the applications received.  Between awards made
under this RFA and grants already funded by the NCHGR, it is anticipated that
sufficient resources will be provided to develop a framework map of each human
chromosome.  To assist communication among investigators developing framework
maps of individual chromosomes, semi-annual meetings of all grantees receiving
funds under this RFA are planned.
 
LETTER OF INTENT
 
Prospective applicants are asked to submit a letter of intent by September 10,
1990.  This letter should include a brief descriptive title, the names of key
investigators, and the names and addresses of any other participating
institutions.  The letter of intent is requested in order to provide an
indication of the number and scope of applications to be reviewed.  The letter
of intent does not commit the sender to submit an application, nor is it a
requirement for submission of an application.  Please send letters of intent
and requests for the full RFA or additional information to:
 
Mark S. Guyer, Ph.D.
Assistant Director for Program Coordination
National Center for Human Genome Research
Room 605, Building 38A
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD  20892
E-mail: [email-masked]
        [email-masked]

 

 

 

 

 
 
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990 - Page 9
                        ONGOING PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENTS

RESEARCH ON FIBER TOXICOLOGY
 
PA:  PA-90-23
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 1007009, 0785055, 0750000, 0715165
 
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
 
Application Receipt Dates:  February 1, June 1, October 1
 
I.  BACKGROUND
 
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) is the
principal Federal funding agency for support of basic research on
environmental factors that contribute to human health problems and disease.
Major emphasis by NIEHS is placed upon research examining those physical and
chemical substances to which humans are exposed as a result of industrial and
commercial use of synthetic chemicals.  However, there are also many natural
environmental substances which have been found to have deleterious effects on
human health and also are within the purview of the NIEHS mission.  One of
these substances, asbestos, has been shown to have a strong association with
asbestosis, bronchial carcinoma and mesothelioma in humans who have worked
with or been exposed to this material when used for a variety of commercial
purposes.
 
Asbestos is a collective name given to minerals that occur naturally as fiber
bundles and possess unusually high tensile strength, flexibility and physical
and chemical durability.  Once liberated into the environment, asbestos
persists for an unknown length of time.  The principal varieties of asbestos
used in commerce are chrysotile, a serpentine mineral, and crocidolite and
amosite, both of which are amphiboles.  Chyrsotile accounts for more than 95
percent of the world asbestos trade and occurs in virtually all serpentine
rocks.
 
In many animal species, fibrosis, bronchial carcinomas, and pleural
mesotheliomas (in the rat), have been observed following inhalation of both
chrysotile and amphibole asbestos.  The length, diameter, and chemical
composition of these fibers have been shown to be important determinants in
their deposition, clearance, and translocation within the body.
 
Epidemiological studies, mainly on occupational groups, have established that
all types of asbestos fibers are associated with diffuse pulmonary fibrosis
(asbestosis), bronchial carcinoma, and primary malignant tumors of the pleura
and peritoneum (mesothelioma).  Cigarette smoking has been shown to increase
asbestosis mortality and the risk of lung cancer in persons exposed to
asbestos but not the risk of mesothelioma.
 
In summary, a large body of toxicological and epidemiological information is
available for asbestos and a wide variety of other mineral and man-made
fibers.  Experimental animal data suggest that certain fiber characteristics
are responsible for the observed biological effects such as lung disease in
asbestos workers.  The most important of these appears to be fiber size
(length, diameter, aspect ratio).  However, other characteristics, such as in
vivo persistence and durability, chemical composition, and surface chemistry
(surface charge, etc.) may also be important, although less well-studied.
 
In order to assist in the definition of areas requiring further research in
fiber toxicology, a workshop sponsored by NIEHS entitled, "Fiber Toxicology
Research Needs," was held in the Research Triangle Park, North Carolina,
during July 10-12, 1989.  The workshop papers and a summary of research needs
are to be published in Volume 88 (July 1990) of Environmental Health
Perspectives.  The workshop brought together international experts in
environmental science, industrial hygiene, epidemiology, toxicology, and
molecular biology.  The objectives of this workshop were to:  (a) review
critically human and animal experimental data concerning fiber toxicology with
an emphasis on biological mechanisms, (b) identify gaps in fiber toxicology
knowledge and appropriate research needs, and (c) suggest future research
efforts.  Accordingly, the following gaps in knowledge and research needs have
been identified as being appropriate for and necessary to our more complete
understanding of the mechanisms by which mineral and man-made fibers produce
and exert their adverse biological effects.

 

            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990 - Page 10
II.  RESEARCH GOALS AND SCOPE
 
This announcement is issued to encourage investigator-initiated research
toward and to foster research activity in fiber toxicology, particularly
asbestos and man-made mineral fibers.  Collaborative research efforts among
toxicologists, physical-chemical scientists, and scientists in closely related
disciplines are especially encouraged.
 
Research interests include, but are not limited to studies designed to:
 
  A. Determine the mechanisms of action by which fibers interact with
     target cells and produce cell injury.
 
  B. Better understand the kinetics of fiber uptake by individual target
     cells of disease in terms of (in vitro) biological responses and in
     vivo pathogenicity.
 
  C. Establish a well-defined (in vitro) lung cell system with which to
     model the mechanisms of persistence and durability of asbestos and
     man-made mineral fibers in vivo.
 
  D. Model and study the molecular and cellular mechanisms involved in
     fiber carcinogenesis and fibrogenesis.
 
Additional animal studies are encouraged to understand the basic mechanisms
for the relationship between pulmonary fibrosis and pulmonary tumors, as well
as pleural fibrosis and mesothelioma, in terms of the carcinogenic and
fibrogenic potency of fiber dimensions, the use of fiber number rather than
fiber mass as a main dose parameter, and the relationship between the fiber
dose inhaled, and the dose received and retained by the lung parenchyma.
 
Epidemiological studies on populations exposed to small diameter glass fibers,
ceramic fibers, and carbon/graphite fibers are also encouraged.  The lack of
adequate exposure assessment has hindered the interpretation of
epidemiological studies of asbestos exposed populations.  Exposure assessments
should seek to characterize fiber type, exposure level, and airborne fiber
dimensions.  In addition, exposure and health effects of non-asbestiform
silicates, such as wollastonite and attapulgite, are encouraged.
 
III.  MECHANISM OF SUPPORT
 
The mechanism of support for this activity will be the individual research
grant - Research Project Grant and FIRST Award as applicable.
 
IV.  APPLICATION AND REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
A. Deadline
 
Applications will be accepted in accordance with the usual receipt dates for
new research grant applications; i.e., February 1, June 1, and October 1.  The
earliest possible award dates will be approximately nine months after the
respective receipt dates.  Applications received too late for one cycle of
review will be held until the next receipt date.
 
B. Method of Applying
 
Applications will be received by the NIH's Division of Research Grants (DRG)
and referred to an appropriate study section for scientific and technical
merit review.  Institute assignment decisions will be governed by normal
programmatic considerations as specified in the NIH Referral Guidelines.  The
review criteria customarily employed by the NIH for regular research grant
applications will prevail.  Following the initial scientific review, the
applications will be evaluated by the National Advisory Environmental Health
Sciences Council or another appropriate Institute council.  It should be noted
that the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute has an extensive basic
research program on asbestosis and pulmonary fibrosis for which grants
submitted to this program announcement may be appropriate.
 
Applications should be submitted on form PHS-398 (revised 10/88) which is
available in the business or grants and contracts offices at most academic and
research institutions or from the DRG.  To identify the application as a
response to this announcement, check "yes" in Item 2 on the face page of the
application and enter the title "Research on Fiber Toxicology, PA-90-23."

 

 
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990 - Page 11
The original and six (6) copies of the application should be directed to:
 
Applications Receipt Office
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
Inquiries related to this Program Announcement should be directed to:
 
Dr. George S. Malindzak
Program Administrator
Scientific Programs Branch
Division of Extramural Research and Training
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
P.O. Box 12233
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
Telephone:  (919) 541-3289

                                    ERRATA

SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES COOPERATIVE RESEARCH CENTERS
 
RFA:  AI-90-03
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715182, 0715125, 0710030
 
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
 
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) has received
several questions focusing on some of the research areas outlined in the
subject Request for Applications (RFA), published in the NIH Guide for Grants
and Contracts, Vol. 19, No. 14, April 6, 1990.  The following provides
clarification of those areas.
 
Applicants are reminded that, as indicated in the RFA, they are strongly
encouraged to focus on pathogens for which sexual transmission is the
principal mode (eg:  C. trachomatis, N. gonorrhoeae, T. pallidum, H. ducreyi,
T vaginalis, human papilloma virus, herpes simplex virus).  Because of the
compelling need for additional research on these STD pathogens, it is urged
that Hepatitis B virus and Group B Streptococci not be included as one of the
minimum of three pathogens or syndromes addressed in STD CRC proposals.
 
Research on human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection as it affects or is
affected by STDs may be included in applications.  Projects which focus on HIV
alone are, however, not appropriate for this RFA.  HIV should not be
considered one of the three pathogens which is requested by the RFA.
 
Finally, the inter-disciplinary emphasis of the STD CRC RFA should not obscure
the central importance of basic biomedical research.  Responses to the RFA
must include strong projects which utilize molecular biological,
microbiological, immunological, and other laboratory-based approaches to
examine questions.  The STD CRC framework should link complementary basic
science approaches with clinical, epidemiological, and behavioral approaches.
 
The receipt date for applications remains unchanged:  October 10, 1990.
 
For questions please contact:
 
Dr. Judith N. Wasserheit
Chief, Sexually Transmitted Diseases Branch
Westwood Building, Room 749
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
National Institutes of Health
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 402-0443
 
**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS THE
CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.  APPLICANTS WHO
USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S
REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD
BUILDING IS:  5333 Westbard Avenue
              Bethesda, Maryland 20816
 
            NIH GUIDE - Vol. 19, No. 29, August 10, 1990 - Page 12